Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Knit Witch
    • By Knit Witch 18th Jul 17, 8:29 PM
    • 3,607Posts
    • 32,919Thanks
    Knit Witch
    The Garden Fence - proper Old Style support and chat!
    • 18th Jul 17, 8:29 PM
    The Garden Fence - proper Old Style support and chat! 18th Jul 17 at 8:29 PM
    As threads are going walkabout I thought I would start the next stage of this off - I will try and do the links later!
    Must use my stash up!
Page 398
    • ivyleaf
    • By ivyleaf 5th Jul 18, 2:23 PM
    • 5,921 Posts
    • 64,381 Thanks
    ivyleaf
    Thank you Lyn, I have suggested putting his duvet beside the bed but I don't think he will - he's too likely to get his numb foot tangled up in it, i think
    • silver-oldie
    • By silver-oldie 5th Jul 18, 3:02 PM
    • 594 Posts
    • 8,526 Thanks
    silver-oldie
    Ivyleaf could you put a cushion, or two, under his side of the mattress, just to raise the edge it a little ?
    If you walk at night no-one will see you cry.
    • pandamonium
    • By pandamonium 5th Jul 18, 3:51 PM
    • 164 Posts
    • 1,947 Thanks
    pandamonium
    Ivyleaf could you put a cushion, or two, under his side of the mattress, just to raise the edge it a little ?
    Originally posted by silver-oldie
    That sounds a really good idea. Maybe a bit of dense foam, cut to size, could work?
    • MrsLurcherwalker
    • By MrsLurcherwalker 5th Jul 18, 4:14 PM
    • 12,815 Posts
    • 177,110 Thanks
    MrsLurcherwalker
    A couple of rolled up towels would do the job and you'd already have them.
    Thumpers mum was right - if you can't find anything nice to say don't say anything at all!
    • csarina2
    • By csarina2 5th Jul 18, 4:32 PM
    • 2,326 Posts
    • 23,945 Thanks
    csarina2
    Mrs LW I agree with you about the prices at M & S. We have a food only store at a local garage, the prices in there are astronomical!! I always get my parmesan from Aldi, its good cheese.

Whew its 'ot here, We sit in the sitting room in the afternoon, as the sun is on the back, but the kitchen is like an oven. I think we will be eating in the sitting room rather than at the kitchen table......you could fry in there. I have the makings of an onion and bacon frittata on the stove, very tempted to bake it in the remoska, the kitchen will be even hotter if I put the combi on even for 20 minutes.

OH has just picked another half pound of rasps, some of them for dessert, the rest for tomorrow.
    • FairyPrincessk
    • By FairyPrincessk 5th Jul 18, 6:11 PM
    • 2,387 Posts
    • 25,989 Thanks
    FairyPrincessk
    Evening all,

Well, the away message is up on my work email, all of my projects are filed in their folders and stacked with a list on top for when I return and I am ready!

I woke up this morning with a sore neck. A few doses of ibuprofen and very ginger stretching and I can now mostly move normally but it is still sore. It happens from time to time and is miserable. I'd planned to go to the gym today but had to rule that out.

Ivy the rolled up towels/firm foam wedge sound a good idea, but only if they won't make it harder for him to get into and out of bed.

I must agree about M&S. We get a few things in there--they have a seeded oatcake that has less saturated fat than any other and makes a good portable snack for me and they do a lean bacon we haven't tried yet but for basics they really are dear. Our local Aldi shut today for a refurb, but we'll probably just go to the one the next town over. We do go to Mr. T as well, but only for things we can't get at Aldi.

Tomorrow we're heading into town so I can spend my birthday money. I haven't actually seen much I want but we'll look around anyway and have some lunch. OH is making pizza tonight. I've done all of the calculations and using reduced fat mozzarella I should be fine, particularly as I was quite careful with breakfast and lunch. Watermelon for puds if I have room left.

Csarina our dining room is off the kitchen and gets afternoon/evening sun we haven't eaten in there in days. Fortunately we have shade in the garden that is very pleasant for meals, and even the lounge is cooler.
    • ivyleaf
    • By ivyleaf 5th Jul 18, 6:43 PM
    • 5,921 Posts
    • 64,381 Thanks
    ivyleaf
    Thanks for the suggestions you lovely people, but yes, putting anything under the edge of the mattress would certainly make it more difficult for him to get in and out (and when asleep he'd keep rolling into my half.) Thank you though

Horribly muggy today, and for a wonder it's actually warmer outside than indoors, which is quite unusual. I can't think what we can have for dinner, can't face cooking. Maybe omelettes or something.
    • MrsLurcherwalker
    • By MrsLurcherwalker 5th Jul 18, 7:02 PM
    • 12,815 Posts
    • 177,110 Thanks
    MrsLurcherwalker
    IVYLEAF would something like a cotton reel or some marbles in a bag under the bottom sheet at the edge of the bed in a couple of places be enough to wake him if he rolled towards the edge? like folks do to make them roll over off their backs if they snore?
    Thumpers mum was right - if you can't find anything nice to say don't say anything at all!
    • monnagran
    • By monnagran 5th Jul 18, 7:47 PM
    • 4,013 Posts
    • 54,226 Thanks
    monnagran
    silver-oldie, thank you for posting again. We were missing you. Are you OK? I know life isn't easy for you but there is usually a listening ear here.

It's no good. It is just too hot for me. I had a couple of miles walk this afternoon to the hairdresser and back and I could barely move by the time I got back. It's 27 in my room, even with the fan on so it will be a sticky night ahead.

I seem to have let myself in for helping to run the cafe at the School Summer Fair on Saturday week. My hairdresser is on the PTA and she was complaining that no one is willing to volunteer to help these days. Everyone is wanting the fair but no one has the time to help run it. The person who always runs the cafe had just dropped out so my hairdressers mother and I are going to do it. I'm a fool to myself.
    I believe that friends are quiet angels
    Who lift us to our feet when our wings
    Have trouble remembering how to fly.
    • mardatha
    • By mardatha 5th Jul 18, 8:06 PM
    • 15,286 Posts
    • 148,539 Thanks
    mardatha
    Ivy just put a mattress on the floor and shove him off the bed lol

Oh bad mard!!
    • kittie
    • By kittie 5th Jul 18, 8:24 PM
    • 12,446 Posts
    • 78,967 Thanks
    kittie
    I agree with our `tongue in cheek` mar, she is right, if he is on a mattress on the floor then he cannot fall further and you`ll both get a good nights sleep

Lots sorted today and am hating the hot humid weather. Had to get out, I was going stir crazy in a cooler cave. So now I am sorted and know exactly what flooring, doors and stove. I need security and to be warm in winter. I spoke to all the companies and their lead times are good, except the stove co, who have a long lead and hence asked me to get permission to get the fireplace surveyed for a quote. Got it. Stove is clearview pioneer 400. Doors in chartwell green composite with v good locks, flooring downstairs moduleo verdon oak and its gorgeous in the flesh
    //www.moduleo.co.uk/product/verdon-oak-24232

As advised on another thread, I have been making scale drawings, large as I could and so far am delighted to say that my furniture will fit in sitting room and 2 bedrooms so far. I am very happy but a bit wound up and too hot and probably dehydrated
    • nursemaggie
    • By nursemaggie 5th Jul 18, 9:19 PM
    • 2,414 Posts
    • 32,095 Thanks
    nursemaggie
    This morning I was all dressed up and ready to go out at 9.25. I went and got my appointment card, my appointment today was not at the local hospital at 10.30 am but at the Christie at 2.50am. So I had another cup of coffee and decided I may as well get the 20 past 10 to Piccadilly. Gosh was it packed with loads of old women going round the sales. I just went into Deb*nams to use the ladies. I have been looking for a large handbag that I can put shopping in and spare bags.

I nearly bought a designer handbag they were mostly 70% off but I could not make my mind up which one to have. I decided I better go the escalator first. I got off at the first floor, lots of dresses and tops with huge savings. I bought five, and a handbag then I saw a nice winter coat. that looks nice I thought, looks my size and it was 75 now 22.50.

I don't think I am going to need anything but underwear next winter with all those jumpers I bought and finding trousers I had not worn. I better keep away from the shops or I won't be able to put them all away.

I have two trips in a week next time a scan again and my regular appointment.

I agree about M & S but If you go in the food department at about 4.30pm you can get stuff for a quarter of the price. I do find there fruit a veg last a lot longer than anything from Mr M.

I got a salad ready for for my tea and I can't eat it. I have a sore throat or should I say mouth, gums and throat. I've made myself a cup of coffee and taken two paracetamol. I will have to wait until they work before I eat.

FPK you have something to look forward to when you new Ald! is ready. The are making them all posh and bigger if they can. There will be lots of new lines. It will be more like Mr W but with Ald! prices. Some are getting in store bakeries. Have you ever been in the one in the Arndale Centre? I resisted going down the bakery aisle today, no hot Danish Pastries. I could smell them though. I have managed to lose 1 kg in the last three weeks. That's very good going for me.

Ivyleaf Trouble with the cot sides they put on ordinary beds is they are not very strong, he'd probably fall out even with them up. I think they would also stop him getting in too bed. I've two suggestions. As Lyn says the duvet on the floor would help a little. You could also add two pillows

on the floor on top. You probably wont like my other suggestion which is to have separate beds and put him in the middle of a double bed. He wont find that so easy as being on one side. I have the pillows on the floor. I have not done it for a long while. He may break something one night.

Monna I think I had better give my bedroom up for you. Actually my whole flat is cool, perhaps you better all come, but then it would heat up with all the bodies. Each person in a room gives off heat equivalent to one bar on an electric fire.
    Last edited by nursemaggie; 05-07-2018 at 9:23 PM.
    • pollyanna 26
    • By pollyanna 26 5th Jul 18, 9:19 PM
    • 2,474 Posts
    • 23,447 Thanks
    pollyanna 26
    Just a flying visit , literally sick with the heat despite drinking non stop . Just to send posivibes for Hesters dd and sil . Mar and Fuds . I haven't read back much .
    Ivyleaf I think Mar has the right idea . Do you have garden cushions ? I 've got a long , deep one on the arbour seat and 3 box ones on the bench which could either be used on the floor either to sleep on or as a landing spot .

I'm so happy to read your news Monna . Like yourself the heat is just too much right now . I too am very aware of the shortage of willing volunteers nowadays . However many more people are time poor nowadays trying to juggle jobs , family and all sorts of things .

Just have to get through 2 appts tomorrow and it will be the weekend . As I seem to have brought this heat our way .I shall attempt a rain dance on Saturday and talk to Thor . Thunder should sort things out . Lightning not welcome .

Hope to back at the weekend . Take care all

Happy Birthday NHS from the baby who arrived eight days early .

polly aka Mystic Meg x
    • nursemaggie
    • By nursemaggie 5th Jul 18, 9:25 PM
    • 2,414 Posts
    • 32,095 Thanks
    nursemaggie
    Mar You are right it's the best solution.

Polly my brother did that only he came a month early and mum had to have a C Section. It would have cost her a fortune If she had not been at her mothers as it was an expensive hospital she had booked in because it was going NHS. Whenever he was impatient mum used to say, "You could not wait for the National Health." Did your mum say that?
    Last edited by nursemaggie; 05-07-2018 at 9:33 PM.
    • MMF007
    • By MMF007 5th Jul 18, 10:16 PM
    • 1,328 Posts
    • 29,572 Thanks
    MMF007
    Evening all, have been recovering from our 5 days in Wales! We stayed at a fab hotel, had amazing weather and enjoyed a couple of walks. The recovery is needed because we were trying to look after the in-laws and give them a great holiday but I am not sure we managed it. We found out how well they had been hiding their physical frailties, to the point when I actually borrowed a wheelchair for MIL on one trip because i knew she had taken more painkillers for her arthritis on the way there. It took a little white lie* to pursaude her to get into it (I told her we could get into the venue free if she was in a wheelchair, but in fact I had already paid!). Once in the chair she was happy enough being wheeled. * I confessed later and told her I just wanted her to be in less pain and to be able to enjoy the event rather than endure the torture of trying to walk round.

They basically looked pretty helpless at times.

FIL refuses to use a walking stick despite tottering along and confessing to nearly falling in the street twice in one morning this week.

We are at a loss to know what to do because he has always been stubborn and clearly sees any aids to daily living as a sign of weakness and an afront to his machismo. DH has very upset to see the reality and is struggling with it.

It is such a contrast to my dad who, despite being very poorly for 5 or 6 years, did everything to try and make life work for him. He happily used a stick because he didn't want to fall, he bought various aids and asked for help when needed. Common sense to me.

I wonder if the advice / medical services could employ a few old blokes to speak sense to other old blokes?? I guess they don't want some younger person, esp a female person, to give them 'so called' advice about using a walking stick

Thank you, Fencers, for letting me vent.
    I should clarify that I am not cross with them for not enjoying the holiday to the full! I feel that DH and I failed to give them the holiday they deserved and I feel so sorry for them both, but esp FIL who is clearly not dealing with either the physical or mental issues of old age.
    I have changed my work-life balance to a life-work balance.
    • Softstuff
    • By Softstuff 5th Jul 18, 10:19 PM
    • 3,059 Posts
    • 35,457 Thanks
    Softstuff
    You lot really are suffering from the heat, whether it's MrIvyleaf falling out of bed because of the rolled up duvet, Monna melting or Pollyanna literally sick. Well, you all need to make sure that the cruise does not land here in December or January. I'm not running around like a nurse tending to you all lying in bed. It's too hot for that

I ache like I've been run over. It's 36 hours since my trial gym session. All it tells me is that the weight training is obviously very necessary!

I went to the docs yesterday, he nearly cracked open the champagne. He was so thrilled at my weightloss. He checked my blood pressure, which despite always having been fine, was better than it's ever been. We're also working on a schedule to start reducing/removing some of my meds and see what happens. Exciting times!
    Softstuff- Officially better than 007
    • MMF007
    • By MMF007 5th Jul 18, 10:37 PM
    • 1,328 Posts
    • 29,572 Thanks
    MMF007
    I'm enjoying the heat but may not be saying that tomorrow and Saturday when cleaning and shopping for / with clients!

Well done Softstuff! You are an inspiration. I shall be re-starting my diet and fitness campaign this weekend. I have plenty of weight to loose.
    We did a lovely walk up a pretty steep gradient and I was very pleased that it was not a struggle and that spurred me on to think how much more i could do.
    Weirdly my asthma is very much subdued atm. Even though I was panting due to the exersion (no, Hester, not then!), there was no tightness in my chest. I wonder if the dry air is suiting me?

NM, well done on the bargains

Hope the pain is less for those suffering.

Hope the housing excitement continues!

Those that have already finished work for a few weeks, Enjoy!

Right, time for bed. Night, night All x
    I have changed my work-life balance to a life-work balance.
    • silvasava
    • By silvasava 5th Jul 18, 10:45 PM
    • 3,966 Posts
    • 63,440 Thanks
    silvasava
    Oh Softstuff - well done!! Your hard work and determination are beginning to pay off. I've been able to stop one of my meds & feel so much better for it as it had some side effects but was very necessary so can appreciate how you must feel.
    I answered a phone call this afternoon from my Doctor! She was ringing to find out how I was doing on the AB's & to let me know that she had the results from pathology of my chest infection. She said if it happens again to make sure that I tell them so any AB's are particularly targeted to 'my bugs'
    Breathing is much better now and I'm feeling a bit more human so onward and upward.
    Small victories - sometimes they are all you can hope for but sometimes they are all you need - be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle
    • VJsmum
    • By VJsmum 5th Jul 18, 11:00 PM
    • 5,371 Posts
    • 79,058 Thanks
    VJsmum
    Well done soft stuff, great stuff

Sorry for those suffering with the heat, I bl00dy love it, not gonna lie.

OH is sprawled all over the bed snoring his head off, so I have decamped to the spare room which is on the cooler, North facing side of the house.

DS is planning a mega cycling trip tomorrow and over the weekend with his mate. I can't help but fret but he thinks I am just fussing. Not the best timing - he is not great in the heat... Ah me, they always come up with something else to make you worry about, don't they? Luckily his friend is sensible...
    You're out with a friend in the capital, I'm a thousand leagues under the sea
    You're hovering worriedly over your eggs, And I'm pondering trees
    I'm wandering long, And I'm pondering trees
    For you and me
    Guy Garvey
    • nursemaggie
    • By nursemaggie 5th Jul 18, 11:23 PM
    • 2,414 Posts
    • 32,095 Thanks
    nursemaggie
    Let's hope they come back after a couple of hours too exhausted to go any father. Give him one of those 5 litre water bottles to hang on his bake, that may change his mind. Maybe remind him that professionals have places to pick up drinks when they go out in this sort of weather they have doctors on hand and cars following them.

I'm loving it too and so is my oncologists we aren't that rare.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

34Posts Today

3,609Users online

Martin's Twitter