Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Knit Witch
    • By Knit Witch 18th Jul 17, 8:29 PM
    • 3,427Posts
    • 31,238Thanks
    Knit Witch
    The Garden Fence - proper Old Style support and chat!
    • 18th Jul 17, 8:29 PM
    The Garden Fence - proper Old Style support and chat! 18th Jul 17 at 8:29 PM
    As threads are going walkabout I thought I would start the next stage of this off - I will try and do the links later!
    V3ry - 389.60
Page 328
    • maryb
    • By maryb 17th May 18, 10:00 AM
    • 3,710 Posts
    • 45,566 Thanks
    maryb
    Nargleblast wishing you both well for Friday and beyond. DH continues to mend slowly. He's happier now he has got rid of his dressings (and it makes showering so much easier) but feels quite low as if he'll never feel well again. However I can see a steady improvement especially when you think the operation was only two weeks ago today. And he is beginning to do more often without thinking about it so we will get there
    It doesn't matter if you are a glass half full or half empty sort of person. Keep it topped up! Cheers!
    • Softstuff
    • By Softstuff 17th May 18, 10:14 AM
    • 2,860 Posts
    • 32,022 Thanks
    Softstuff
    Good the hear he's coming along physically Maryb, I'm sure he'll perk up mentally too soon. Most folk I've seen after heart surgery end up feeling better than they had in years, it's amazing how long you can go on feeling below par, but just think it's how life is.

Ivyleaf, even if it was hotel rooms and airports, it's still adventure! And there'll always be room to see a bit of somewhere new. I'm excited for him.

FPK, you just decided my dinner for me.... on a similar bent, we'll have mexican - mince, spring onions and stir fried green peppers on a bed of spinach with cheese and avocado. In fact I'll go make that right now.....
    Softstuff- Officially better than 007
    • ivyleaf
    • By ivyleaf 17th May 18, 10:25 AM
    • 5,408 Posts
    • 57,789 Thanks
    ivyleaf
    Ivyleaf. Good news for your DS. He may even get an opportunity to see something of the interesting places on the journey between air port and hotel room.
    Originally posted by monnagran
    Very true!
    • ivyleaf
    • By ivyleaf 17th May 18, 10:53 AM
    • 5,408 Posts
    • 57,789 Thanks
    ivyleaf
    maryb I'm sure you've told him that you can see him improving. He'll believe it eventually, I'm sure! I expect everything hurts at the moment. ((HUGS))

Softstuff Thank you for that. As you say, it's adventure! One of his friends who's a theatre techie has been abroad touring with a show, and I could tell DS envied him when he (the friend) came home and told his mates all about it
    • VJsmum
    • By VJsmum 17th May 18, 10:54 AM
    • 5,135 Posts
    • 75,538 Thanks
    VJsmum
    Morning all

Maryb and Nargle - wishing your OH's all the best.

Ivy, I had a job where i travelled for work - mainly to the far East. I've been to Hong Kong, Singapore, SOuth korea and Sri lanka. There is a lot of airport / hotels/ offices but you do really get to meet people and see things from a different perspective than you do on holiday. You get an insight into what their lives are like. I generally managed to see something of the countries - most usually by working in the evenings and having some daytime to myself. Or arranging flights back to give myself a day or so at leisure before leaving. Or long layovers (i.e. 10 hours in Dubai or Amsterdam) when switching flights to see something of those places.

Fairy Princess - are you me? I did a yoga class last night and planning to do marking and writing today The burrito bowls sound yummy.

I am on a 'fast' day and having chia pudding for brekkie, soup, rice cakes with a smear of goats cheese for lunch and then Jack Monroes veggie 'not a tagine' for dinner with kale (sorry Mar ). I can really see the difference now in how my clothes are fitting so it's been well worth it. However, I still have a nasty rash under my eye and I can't work out what's causing it.

Off to the remastered 'Dambusters' at the cinema tonight - very excited...
    You're out with a friend in the capital, I'm a thousand leagues under the sea
    You're hovering worriedly over your eggs, And I'm pondering trees
    I'm wandering long, And I'm pondering trees
    For you and me
    Guy Garvey
    • Emptynester
    • By Emptynester 17th May 18, 1:59 PM
    • 82 Posts
    • 1,100 Thanks
    Emptynester
    Hello Everyone
    Life is improving as the pain eases. I realise I now have many good mornings. It doesn't last all day but it's still early days. I have mopped our hard floors this morning for the first time in a very long time and they do look better. Although I was feeling pleased with myself I decided to stop there rather than over doing things. I wandered round to our local hairdressers where I had a trim. I then found 2 pairs of trousers and a skirt in the charity shop that I liked. It's rare that I find anything but I now have plenty of time, so I will shorten all of them and that's my wardrobe given a boost for 9.97. I had a quick cuppa and a catch up with a friend and am now home to behave myself, ie rest.
    Thank you all for your posts and get well wishes to all poorly posters and loved ones.
    • mardatha
    • By mardatha 17th May 18, 4:02 PM
    • 14,806 Posts
    • 141,234 Thanks
    mardatha
    Sending vibes to all the poorly hubbies and worried wives xx
    • MrsLurcherwalker
    • By MrsLurcherwalker 17th May 18, 4:11 PM
    • 11,649 Posts
    • 162,096 Thanks
    MrsLurcherwalker
    Isn't it always the way? I have a Denby Cotswold dinner service that has sat in the store room for eons and I've been in touch with two dealers now who both said 'It's BROWN!!!!! oh dear, no one buys BROWN these days' so it will go to the boot fair on Sunday and I'll see if anyone wants some or all of it if not it will have to go to a charity shop because it's not being moved when we do just to take up shelf space. Sad because it's nice and very sturdy but I guess fashion is fashion isn't it?
    Thumpers mum was right - if you can't find anything nice to say don't say anything at all!
    • Slinky
    • By Slinky 17th May 18, 5:18 PM
    • 5,188 Posts
    • 23,967 Thanks
    Slinky
    Isn't it always the way? I have a Denby Cotswold dinner service that has sat in the store room for eons and I've been in touch with two dealers now who both said 'It's BROWN!!!!! oh dear, no one buys BROWN these days' so it will go to the boot fair on Sunday and I'll see if anyone wants some or all of it if not it will have to go to a charity shop because it's not being moved when we do just to take up shelf space. Sad because it's nice and very sturdy but I guess fashion is fashion isn't it?
    Originally posted by MrsLurcherwalker

Have you tried these people?

https://www.thechinavillage.co.uk/collections/denby-cotswold?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIwJ6d1pKN2wIVCIbVCh3mVA5 2EAAYASAAEgJ4xvD_BwE
    • MrsLurcherwalker
    • By MrsLurcherwalker 17th May 18, 6:03 PM
    • 11,649 Posts
    • 162,096 Thanks
    MrsLurcherwalker
    SLINKY thank you so much, no we haven't but yes we will xxx.

Looks super, we'll be in touch with them in the morning, it's brilliant and I can't thank you enough, super stuff!!!
    Last edited by MrsLurcherwalker; 17-05-2018 at 6:14 PM.
    Thumpers mum was right - if you can't find anything nice to say don't say anything at all!
    • Hard Up Hester
    • By Hard Up Hester 17th May 18, 7:01 PM
    • 3,629 Posts
    • 45,200 Thanks
    Hard Up Hester
    Mrs LW I sold my brown Denby dinner service for about 100 about a year ago to chinasearch.co.uk
    Chin up, Titus out.
    • Softstuff
    • By Softstuff 17th May 18, 10:10 PM
    • 2,860 Posts
    • 32,022 Thanks
    Softstuff
    I thought brown was coming back... along with a lot of other nice vintagey things. But I'm not big on what is or isn't fashionable, it amuses me mostly when my taste coincides with fashion.

Hit the wall last night, completely exhausted. I worked a full week, then did a week of reno and getting rid, then worked another 4 days and last night just flopped. Not that I'm done yet, we have a busy weekend ahead and I'm working sunday monday I have preplanned a day of nothing on Tuesday though. Just need to make it there
    • greenbee
    • By greenbee 17th May 18, 10:38 PM
    • 12,590 Posts
    • 219,754 Thanks
    greenbee
    Another one who does a lot of travel for work and sees a lot of airports and hotels - but you do get to meet interesting people and just occasionally I'm allowed out to see something of the places I'm visiting. On my next trip I have a day in Melbourne, one in Auckland and one in Hong Kong (with a flight between the last two) so I'm hoping for a bit of downtime rather than catching up on email I've got a couple of other stops that don't give me any free time, but that's just how things have worked out.

Any tips on what to do/see in each would be great (particularly Melbourne and Auckland - I'm seeing family in HK, although I do have a free morning when I arrive from NZ).
    • Softstuff
    • By Softstuff 17th May 18, 10:51 PM
    • 2,860 Posts
    • 32,022 Thanks
    Softstuff
    ooh ooh ooh Melbourne! We had a lovely time there in the new year, we went for a friends wedding. There's a great art gallery, incredibly impressive, the National Gallery of Victoria, the laneways with shopping and eating are fantastic (we didn't enjoy the markets much because frankly I've seen many similar in England), I love Little Bourke St, the chinatown area. The food there is fantastic and reasonably priced. We went to the Australian Centre for the moving image, but that was good because at the time there was an Aardman exhibition on... without a good exhibition it would suck. The state library is beautiful even for a 15 minute visit, just to look at the inside.

We walked a lot of Melbourne, miles and miles. In the city centre itself, the trams are free within a certain area, so you can hop on and hop off.

Despite being Australia, Melbourne is odd with weather. You can go from freezing to on fire in the space of a day. It's where the song Four Seasons in one day was written for.
    • greenbee
    • By greenbee 17th May 18, 11:15 PM
    • 12,590 Posts
    • 219,754 Thanks
    greenbee
    Thanks Softstuff. I need to look at weather forecasts tomorrow when I start to pack. It seems that I need to allow for anything from 10C and raining to 36C and stormy (and the arctic aircon that goes with 36C outside!).

Time for bed, or I'll be on your timezone earlier than planned. Although that would at least save me from jet lag!
    • Softstuff
    • By Softstuff 18th May 18, 4:30 AM
    • 2,860 Posts
    • 32,022 Thanks
    Softstuff
    Thanks Softstuff. I need to look at weather forecasts tomorrow when I start to pack. It seems that I need to allow for anything from 10C and raining to 36C and stormy (and the arctic aircon that goes with 36C outside!).
    Originally posted by greenbee
    It might get colder than that at night. And if it says "hail" take notice, hail here can be golf ball sized.
    • maryb
    • By maryb 18th May 18, 6:39 AM
    • 3,710 Posts
    • 45,566 Thanks
    maryb
    Thinking of you both today Nargleblast
    It doesn't matter if you are a glass half full or half empty sort of person. Keep it topped up! Cheers!
    • FairyPrincessk
    • By FairyPrincessk 18th May 18, 6:50 AM
    • 2,294 Posts
    • 24,281 Thanks
    FairyPrincessk
    Morning all,

I'm glad the burrito bowls were inspiring. They were very nice, although seeing the weighed cheese compared to what we normally have on them was informative.

VJs mum--I'll admit it, I'm a cliche of an academic, but it was such a journey to get here that I'll take it. My day looks similar today, although I may treat myself to a little scan through the essays to find a couple that chose different questions, just for a little variety!

Tonight will be fish cake night, although I'll have to walk out to the supermarket on my lunch break and buy the fish since they need to chill for a bit before cooking. If we like the recipe they can be made in advance and frozen which would be great.

MaryB that sounds like great progress. I hope his spirits start to pick up soon as well.

Mrs LW if you have any local vintage shops that sell homewares you might pop in and ask them. I collect a different set which became trendy a few years ago (so I've paused my collecting until they're unfashionable again!) and see similar stuff at vintage fairs frequently.

Emptynester it sounds like you've found a good balance. Look after yourself.

Just thinking of Lamewolf today. I imagine she is nearing the end of her holiday.

Right. Time for breakfast. I think this morning is scrambled eggs on toast with strawberries.

Bit of loveliness from the garden--there are tiny cherries on the cherry tree and the rhododendron native to this garden is almost fully open in spite of its bad case of leaf mold. We have loads of birds, many I have no idea what they are but at the moment just a Magpie strutting around. I think he has marched the perimeter and most of the area under the trees. I have no idea what he is looking for but he looks hilarious. I shall delay Maggie the cat's morning romp in the garden until he has finished.
    • mardatha
    • By mardatha 18th May 18, 7:06 AM
    • 14,806 Posts
    • 141,234 Thanks
    mardatha
    Garden looking good here too, weather been awesome. I'm so stiff and tired that I can hardly move. But kept busy because I have lost my DLA that I've had for ten years. So now down a lot of money and sitting here working out menu plans.. the seige of Stalingrad will have nothing on me by the time winter hits
    • MrsLurcherwalker
    • By MrsLurcherwalker 18th May 18, 8:05 AM
    • 11,649 Posts
    • 162,096 Thanks
    MrsLurcherwalker
    Ratatouille.....first catch your rat???

Nettle puree.....try not to get nettled?

Fat Hen Seed bread.....don't chicken out?

Chestnut Cake.....are you nuts woman???
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,373Posts Today

5,817Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin