Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Knit Witch
    • By Knit Witch 18th Jul 17, 8:29 PM
    • 3,604Posts
    • 32,902Thanks
    Knit Witch
    The Garden Fence - proper Old Style support and chat!
    • 18th Jul 17, 8:29 PM
    The Garden Fence - proper Old Style support and chat! 18th Jul 17 at 8:29 PM
    As threads are going walkabout I thought I would start the next stage of this off - I will try and do the links later!
    V3ry - 389.60
Page 327
    • ancientofdays
    • By ancientofdays 16th May 18, 8:08 AM
    • 1,911 Posts
    • 23,331 Thanks
    ancientofdays
    Great news Mrs LW!
    I was jumping to conclusions and one of them jumped back
    • MrsLurcherwalker
    • By MrsLurcherwalker 16th May 18, 9:22 AM
    • 12,799 Posts
    • 176,950 Thanks
    MrsLurcherwalker
    Morning, slightly bonkers night last night for both of us, I went into the spare room to let him sleep and neither of us did! it was one of those 'Oh My Word what have we done?' times combined with being too hot under respective quilts but too cold out of them, a very noisy wind whooshing past open windows but it was too hot to close them and a general 'Are we doing the right thing in moving at all?' doubt. I think I'm there in my head today and I think it's a good thing to move while we're still active and can get out in the new home and make contacts so we have folk to talk to in a new to us community and be closer to family without being in their respective laps but close enough to see them much more easily than we can from here. We walked the bounds last night looking at what we'd take and what we'd leave and I think we won't need a huge pantechnicon of a removal van if we shed things that are just not worth taking and replace them at the other end. There is a good auction house in the next road over from the new house so we'd play with that and get some pre-loved but nice furniture. We've contacted our Solicitor this morning and set things in motion so now it's going to be grindingly horrible all round whilst all things legal and financial are dealt with. Keep me sane (well, sort of) when I get grumpy my lovely friends until I'm through and out the other side, I'm not looking forward to the journey BUT I am looking forward to arriving in a new life in the not too distant future xxx.
    Thumpers mum was right - if you can't find anything nice to say don't say anything at all!
    • ivyleaf
    • By ivyleaf 16th May 18, 9:25 AM
    • 5,913 Posts
    • 64,304 Thanks
    ivyleaf
    So thrilled for you both, Lyn I think you're quite near the sea atm? Will you miss that? OH and I are both from seaside towns and we've ended up living on the edge of London, so we spend a couple of nights on the coast when we get desperate to see the sea

nursemaggie
    that was a good haul you got! We were in Mr M yesterday but they didn't have anything interesting reduced, or maybe we were just there at the wrong time. I did get some "wonky" raspberries at any rate. And cream slices (not reduced)
    • MrsLurcherwalker
    • By MrsLurcherwalker 16th May 18, 9:33 AM
    • 12,799 Posts
    • 176,950 Thanks
    MrsLurcherwalker
    We're actually in one of the villages close to the Solent Ivyleaf and yes I shall miss the river and the walks along it and particularly the 'river smell' that has become the recognition of being 'home again' over the years. We'll be well and truly land locked where we're going but in such beautiful countryside with views all round of stunning ranges of hills and many walking trails, verdant green areas and fertile productive farming areas that I think it will more than compensate for what we're leaving. Of course there will be nostalgia and 'don't you miss?' moments but life even at our end of it must be about going forwards and finding out new things about life and yourselves and new experiences too, I've never lived in a small town only villages so that will be a bit of a challenge but having local shops close enough to walk to and many independents too will be very nice as opposed to having a two mile walk to the nearest supermarket here and a bus ride to anywhere with bigger shops than that. It's very scary and very exciting too, my butterflies have sharp claws at the moment but I'm elated too!
    Thumpers mum was right - if you can't find anything nice to say don't say anything at all!
    • silvasava
    • By silvasava 16th May 18, 10:01 AM
    • 3,960 Posts
    • 63,385 Thanks
    silvasava
    What's the adage Mrs L - feel the fear and do it anyway! I think as you get older new beginnings feel more trepidacious than when we were younger. I'm sure you and HWK have made the right decision at the right time - just think - if everything goes well it'll all be over in 3 months!
    Grey day here so will finally clean the insides of my windows! Went down the end of the garden yesterday and I could hear a blackbird chooking repeatedly - when I walked back to the house she was sitting on the fence with a beak full waiting for me to go so she could feed her chick/s! Don't know how many she's got yet.
    I never seem to be in the SM at the right time to get bargains like NM but did manage a steak & Stilton pie in sainsbugs for DH - nothing else though.
    Sending hugs to Burtha, Karcher, Nargle and to any chums that are struggling at the moment x
    Small victories - sometimes they are all you can hope for but sometimes they are all you need - be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle
    • kittie
    • By kittie 16th May 18, 10:27 AM
    • 12,446 Posts
    • 78,966 Thanks
    kittie
    mrsLW this has to be the perfect time to move, to prepare for the future I am glad that you have made this wise decision

I am still waiting for fate to happen, too scared to move to a town and too scared to move away from what I know and like. People are just not moving, there are more than a few hundred houses in the villages along where I want, people are sitting tight but when the flood gates open, then there will be a flood and I am ready.

I am very interested in your posts mrsLW, how you are coping and how you are managing things, like your furniture, workshop stuff and so on, they help me on my learning curve
    • monnagran
    • By monnagran 16th May 18, 10:32 AM
    • 4,003 Posts
    • 54,146 Thanks
    monnagran
    How wise you are Lyn, to make the move while you are still able to make your own decisions and organise things yourselves. Having moved several relatives in their nineties from their family home to a downsized more copable-with residence, I have seen at first hand how difficult it was for everyone. You have everything to look forward to.

Nursemaggie, my goodness you got some bargains there. Doesn't it make everything taste sweeter when you have the satisfaction of knowing how little you paid for it? Are you still dancing around in your empty spaces?

A bit chillier today I will have to wear a cardigan or jumper when I do my walk. I do not anticipate any very cold weather again so have packed all my warm things away in the forlorn hope that I will have moved before I need them.
    Just waiting for my buyers to get their own buyers before we can proceed. It's a waiting game.

THOUGHT FOR TODAY

Don't look back. You're not going that way.t
    I believe that friends are quiet angels
    Who lift us to our feet when our wings
    Have trouble remembering how to fly.
    • Softstuff
    • By Softstuff 16th May 18, 11:42 AM
    • 3,059 Posts
    • 35,457 Thanks
    Softstuff
    The only bargain I managed to find in the supermarket was lindt 90% cocoa chocolate at half price per bar. I *may* have half a cupboard full of chocolate, but we're quite addicted to the stuff and a couple of squares of that feels like a real treat.

Tried cooking a steak tonight, the steak was fine, but the fog of smoke throughout the house was not If anyone has any clue how to cook a steak medium rare with a lovely crust, but without the attendance of the local fire brigade, please share! At present, my best idea is to purchase one of the cheap induction portable hobs and do it in a pan outside.... I'm not yet barbecue ready (still too darned scared of fire).
    Softstuff- Officially better than 007
    • maryb
    • By maryb 16th May 18, 12:16 PM
    • 3,929 Posts
    • 48,845 Thanks
    maryb
    Softstuff I think it's called the maillard reaction (sp?) basically you get a hot pan and slap the steak down let it sear for about 20-30 seconds then turn it over and do the same to the other side. You keep turning it backwards and forwards so that it meets hot pan and sort of caramelises for a few seconds. Then turn the heat down and leave it for about a minute. Then take it out and let it rest somewhere warm for a minute
    It doesn't matter if you are a glass half full or half empty sort of person. Keep it topped up! Cheers!
    • ivyleaf
    • By ivyleaf 16th May 18, 3:14 PM
    • 5,913 Posts
    • 64,304 Thanks
    ivyleaf
    Lyn I bet the "river smell" isn't as...um...memorable as that of Fareham Creek when the tide's out
    It'll be lovely living in a small town once you get used to it - great to have all facilities close by!

monnagran my darling, I hope and pray that your buyers find a buyer extremely soon. And that just the right place becomes available for you to buy, of course! x
    • Hobsons Choice
    • By Hobsons Choice 16th May 18, 3:35 PM
    • 1,056 Posts
    • 7,318 Thanks
    Hobsons Choice
    My bargain of the week/month/year: a lovely box plant about 2ft high, clipped into a pyramid shape, reduced from 15 to 3 in Sainsbugs.
    Checked it all over and can only think it was because it was outgrowing its allotted space in the tub!
    Normal people worry me.
    • CRANKY40
    • By CRANKY40 16th May 18, 4:31 PM
    • 2,946 Posts
    • 31,966 Thanks
    CRANKY40
    Softstuff the nice lady in Costco let me try a square of their aberdeen angus rump steak today and it was delicious. She was cooking it in a frying pan that had a little olive oil with some ground black pepper and ground salt added. It was delicious. As I've decided to do without carbs as much as possible for now I think I will repeat her technique at home.

My sister and I were always told that steak was a treat when we were children. It was many years later that we discovered that mum was actually a hopeless cook and steak was not meant to have the texture of a welly boot and each mouthful should not need chewing at least fifty times before it could be swallowed.
    Weight loss 2018 17 lbs

October Grocery Challenge 138.20/150
    November GC 97.74/200
    • MrsLurcherwalker
    • By MrsLurcherwalker 16th May 18, 4:52 PM
    • 12,799 Posts
    • 176,950 Thanks
    MrsLurcherwalker
    SOFTSTUFF on hose rare occasions when I find YS steak I cook it by the 10 minute rule. Put your griddle on the hob and get it as hot as it takes to not be able to hold your hand over it at a height of 6" because it's just too hot. The 10 minute rule as invented by Tamasin Day Lewis is that however you like your steak 10 minutes is all it takes for cooking and resting even for well done SO once your griddle is hot enough whack on your extractor fan full blast and close any doors you can to keep the cooking effects in the kitchen, if it's summer open the windows and whack on your steak thus:-

1) for rare steak cook for 2 minutes each side, turn of the heat and leave the steak on the griddle but off the hottest part for 6 minutes, then serve

2) for medium steak cook for 2 and a half minutes on each side and rest for 5 minutes then serve

3) for well done steak cook for 3 to 3 and a half minutes each side and rest for 4 or 3 minutes then serve

I've used the method for years and unless you get a 'wafty' steak that's tough because it hasn't been hung for long enough the results are consistent. There are degrees of medium so you could try the 2 and a half minutes and if that's too much do 2 and a quarter if it's not enough do 2 and three quarters and adjust the resting time accordingly, really works, good luck!
    • Nargleblast
    • By Nargleblast 16th May 18, 9:31 PM
    • 9,241 Posts
    • 59,370 Thanks
    Nargleblast
    Leftover steak from Saturday night's barbie was dealt with in two ways - some sliced thinly against the grain, drizzled with olive oil, sea salt and black pepper as a carpaccio sort of thing, served with salad. The remainder was cubed and made into a beef stew with dumplings.

OH got a letter today for an appointment with an oncologist at the end of the month. We assume from this he will be needing a course of chemo, but will know more when we see the surgeon and the Macmillan nurse on Friday. No big deal, it will be a means to an end, and talks with people who have been through it indicate it is not such a horrific experience nowadays.
    One life - your life - live it!

NSD challenge November 6/15
    • ivyleaf
    • By ivyleaf 16th May 18, 10:48 PM
    • 5,913 Posts
    • 64,304 Thanks
    ivyleaf
    Wishing him well, Nargleblast x
    • Softstuff
    • By Softstuff 16th May 18, 10:57 PM
    • 3,059 Posts
    • 35,457 Thanks
    Softstuff
    Thanks Maryb, and that's what I did, it certainly works and the steak was delicious.... but the smoke took two hours to clear

Cranky, steak is still a bit of a treat here, but there's a lovely new meat range at one of the Australian supermarkets. It's beautiful, grass fed and I swear even a bad cook couldn't ruin it. I'd not been a fan of steak at home before (I cooked it to welly stage too ), but this is fabulous. It's a wee bit dearer, but frankly it's still way cheaper than a meal out and that's how I treat it.

MrsLW, your instructions are great thank you, and highlight 3 of my problems to me: my current kitchen extractor fan seems not to work, my house is very much 1 level open plan and if I open my windows in an evening , we're in fear of bug invasion I think my outdoors idea on a little portable hob might have to be the go at present (at least until we redo the kitchen and put in some decent extraction).

Nargleblast, wishing your OH the best with the oncologist appointment, fingers crossed it's for a discussion of results.
    Softstuff- Officially better than 007
    • FairyPrincessk
    • By FairyPrincessk 17th May 18, 8:35 AM
    • 2,387 Posts
    • 25,989 Thanks
    FairyPrincessk
    Morning all,

Nargle, I hope you have a bit more certainty about what is coming soon and that your husband is able to take it in his stride.

I use a similar process to Mrs LW for cooking steak. I think it is the only thing I actually time in the kitchen. We don't eat it often. I hated it as a child as mum and dad always liked it very well done.

I tried a new yoga class last night which was really lovely. I'll definitely be going back. I think tea tonight is burrito bowls--spinach, pinto beans, rice, salsa, avocado and very carefully weighed cheese.

Well, I have plenty of marking to get on with and then writing. It looks lovely and sunny today so I may swap the gym for a walk this afternoon.

Hugs to all who need them.x
    • ivyleaf
    • By ivyleaf 17th May 18, 9:35 AM
    • 5,913 Posts
    • 64,304 Thanks
    ivyleaf
    Lyn, thank you for those instructions re steak - so easy to remember! We don't have it very often, but now I reckon i might get some and hav ea go at the weekend

Hobsons Choice The box tree sounds lovely, what a bargain! A neighbour has one on each side of her front door, and they look so nice. I must say I'm surprised that so far they haven't been nicked overnight!

nursemaggie Even if you stay where you are for some while, it's lovely to hear of you having space tp put things away

Lovely sunny day here so far. I need to go to the library - I borrowed a book by Levison Wood and was looking forward to reading it, but somehow I can't seem to get on with it at the moment, so it can go back for someone else to enjoy and perhaps I'll try it again another time.

DS is very excited atm. Out of the blue he's been approached to offer him a job involving lots of travel. Just what he needs atm The boss rang him last night in hopes he was free to come for a chat today, but sadly not! I did point out that a lot of the "interesting places" he's been told he'll see will actually be airports and hotel rooms, but he doesn't mind. We're so pleased for him, as he was feeling in a bit of a rut.
    • monnagran
    • By monnagran 17th May 18, 9:55 AM
    • 4,003 Posts
    • 54,146 Thanks
    monnagran
    I hope that things work out well for your DH Nargle. The waiting around between appointments must seem endless, those weeks are wasted from your lives because I bet you can't really put your minds to anything else.

Another bright sunny day. This is getting boring. The plan for today is a walk up to the village and then a bit of household cleansing.

After such an action-packed morning I will calm myself down with a bit of ironing.
    I dont know how to contain my excitement.

THOUGHT FOR TODAY

The 5x5 rule. If it's not going to matter in 5 years time, don't waste more than 5 minutes being upset by it.
    • monnagran
    • By monnagran 17th May 18, 9:59 AM
    • 4,003 Posts
    • 54,146 Thanks
    monnagran
    Ivyleaf. Good news for your DS. He may even get an opportunity to see something of the interesting places on the journey between air port and hotel room.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,051Posts Today

9,697Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Major new guide... Brexit, what it means for you and your finances: M mortgages, savings, flights, consumer rights? https://t.co/SXCMG2qXwX

• Have you haggled on the high street in the last year? If so who with and did you succeed? Please vote in this week? https://t.co/fdzmmFfA4u

• Warning: Energy price comparisons are now WRONG due to the price cap - it needs fixing - my letter to Ofgem alerti? https://t.co/vE9IHyM58X

• Follow Martin