Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Knit Witch
    • By Knit Witch 18th Jul 17, 8:29 PM
    • 3,518Posts
    • 32,191Thanks
    Knit Witch
    The Garden Fence - proper Old Style support and chat!
    • 18th Jul 17, 8:29 PM
    The Garden Fence - proper Old Style support and chat! 18th Jul 17 at 8:29 PM
    As threads are going walkabout I thought I would start the next stage of this off - I will try and do the links later!
    V3ry - 389.60
Page 326
    • MrsLurcherwalker
    • By MrsLurcherwalker 15th May 18, 6:53 PM
    • 12,105 Posts
    • 167,818 Thanks
    MrsLurcherwalker
    Thanks Kittie well.....they accepted our offer and can be out of the property by mid September too so it looks like we're MOVING!!!!!WOOHOO!!!!!
    Thumpers mum was right - if you can't find anything nice to say don't say anything at all!
    • silvasava
    • By silvasava 15th May 18, 7:00 PM
    • 3,774 Posts
    • 60,626 Thanks
    silvasava
    Mrs L
    Small victories - sometimes they are all you can hope for but sometimes they are all you need - be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle
    • Bigjenny
    • By Bigjenny 15th May 18, 7:10 PM
    • 535 Posts
    • 5,830 Thanks
    Bigjenny
    "When one door closes another door opens; but we so often look so long and so regretfully upon the closed door, that we do not see the ones which open for us" Alexander Graham Bell
    • camelot1001
    • By camelot1001 15th May 18, 7:10 PM
    • 3,926 Posts
    • 47,592 Thanks
    camelot1001
    Fantastic MrsLW! So glad everything seems to be falling into place for you, now the fun begins!!
    • Nargleblast
    • By Nargleblast 15th May 18, 7:20 PM
    • 9,110 Posts
    • 58,063 Thanks
    Nargleblast
    Congratulations, Mrs LW, I take it the new place is nearer your daughters and grandkids? Exciting times ahead!
    Debt free date.....3 August 2015
    Now building up a Doomsday Cash Stash
    • pandamonium
    • By pandamonium 15th May 18, 7:23 PM
    • 149 Posts
    • 1,684 Thanks
    pandamonium
    Congratulations Mrs LW. Everything seems to have happened pretty quickly for you. Let's hope everything goes smoothly now. Exciting times indeed.

Panda x
    • MadamMim2013
    • By MadamMim2013 15th May 18, 7:26 PM
    • 541 Posts
    • 6,686 Thanks
    MadamMim2013
    Congratulations MrsLW..
    Living life happily! Debt Free date: 06/2018!!!
    Jan-June 42 July GC 223.11/300
    :
    • FairyPrincessk
    • By FairyPrincessk 15th May 18, 7:35 PM
    • 2,350 Posts
    • 25,290 Thanks
    FairyPrincessk
    Hooray for Mrs LW!

Just finished a giant baked sweet potato with hummus, roast veggies and salad. And then had a cheese demo for OH. He was asking how much is reasonable etc. so I weighed it and told him how much of a daily allowance it was... and then he said, no wonder. That is what I eat before I even start grating it Yes, cheese is definitely the culprit.

I've been marking today and then a bit of writing. Some colleagues post funny things students write on social media but I don't. I know many of them mean it in a good natured way but it feels a bit cruel to me. That doesn't mean I don't appreciate the odd little chuckle I get from an unusual turn of phrase.

OH's birthday is next week. He is getting a waffle iron-he's wanted one for ages. I'll have to find a few recipes to use with it, but he won't get to try them until the following weekend. I'm not making waffles before he leaves for work at 6:15 in the morning!

Monna, I too find it hard to part with things.

A day in work tomorrow so I shall get up early, go to the gym and then head in. Salmon stir fry for tea and then I'm trying out a new yoga class. OH was impressed...two workouts in one day. He doesn't know the sort of yoga I go in for...rolling around on the floor with a nice long rest at the end

Hugs to all who need them.
    • nursemaggie
    • By nursemaggie 15th May 18, 7:37 PM
    • 2,316 Posts
    • 30,700 Thanks
    nursemaggie
    Congratulations Lyn. I hope you will be very happy with your new life.

I had a good shop at Mr M this afternoon. I got a farmhouse loaf for 20p, 4 teacakes for 20p, some asparagus for 9p, some purple sprouting broccoli for 9p, a bug tub of plain yoghurt for 50p, posh pate for 30p, fancy coleslaw 30p, 6 chocolate mouses 30p. Added to my tins that should feed me for a few days.
    Last edited by nursemaggie; 15-05-2018 at 9:38 PM.
    • VJsmum
    • By VJsmum 15th May 18, 7:49 PM
    • 5,234 Posts
    • 77,017 Thanks
    VJsmum
    Thanks Kittie well.....they accepted our offer and can be out of the property by mid September too so it looks like we're MOVING!!!!!WOOHOO!!!!!
    Originally posted by MrsLurcherwalker
    Congratulations Mrs LW

What a glorious day it was today. I did one of my easier tasks and took it into the garden. I can't usually work in the garden but it was too nice a day to waste inside. Today is a fast day for me, but upping the calories to 800 has made a massive difference, even though I will probably have 100 left. I won't eat them for the sake of it.

Three more days of my extreme diet and then I can start adding things. I think I am going to start with gin....

Went to the dentist today and I need four filling , they are previously filled teeth, two on each side and mainly because some crumbling of existing fillings has meant food has got stuck and decayed, bleurgh It seems even an electric toothbrush and interdental brush can't get it all out... He was a lovely dentist though...

DS has gone the footie, let's hope his team win the playoff as he isn't going to be fit to talk to. He has been revising for an exam this afternoon and even let me advise him. It seems he now realises that mum (who has taught in uni for 20 years) might actually know what she's talking about. Even though I don't know the subject matter, I do know how to answer questions. I think he believes me now...
    You're out with a friend in the capital, I'm a thousand leagues under the sea
    You're hovering worriedly over your eggs, And I'm pondering trees
    I'm wandering long, And I'm pondering trees
    For you and me
    Guy Garvey
    • mardatha
    • By mardatha 15th May 18, 8:07 PM
    • 14,987 Posts
    • 143,869 Thanks
    mardatha
    Magic MrsL ! very happy for you. Hope the other movers get sorted out soon as well now
    • maryb
    • By maryb 15th May 18, 8:12 PM
    • 3,773 Posts
    • 46,532 Thanks
    maryb
    That's great Mrs L so pleased for you. Being close to the DDs is very definitely in my plans for the future - assuming they don't decide to lve at opposite ends of the country, of course
    It doesn't matter if you are a glass half full or half empty sort of person. Keep it topped up! Cheers!
    • MrsLurcherwalker
    • By MrsLurcherwalker 15th May 18, 8:53 PM
    • 12,105 Posts
    • 167,818 Thanks
    MrsLurcherwalker
    Oh aren't you all lovely? thank you for being happy for us! we will indeed be much closer to family, some 25 minutes on the bus from DD1 ( plus a 5 minute walk) and 25 minutes on the bus and a 40 minute train trip to DD2 and those Grandpickles. If we drive it will be considerably quicker. What I'm really looking forward to is the first time either of them turn up on the doorstep unannounced just because they want to, that will be fulfilment of wishes for me.

I 'lost' DD1 at the age of 12 as she had to come home and board when the home schooling didn't work out and she never (other than 2 years to do A levels) really came back home after that because of uni and work and DD2 was away at 18 and didn't come back to live at all, straight to jobs after that. It will be just so nice to have them in our lives again when they can fit us in, and perhaps we can all find time to be together at the same time, that really would be lovely.
    Thumpers mum was right - if you can't find anything nice to say don't say anything at all!
    • MMF007
    • By MMF007 15th May 18, 9:14 PM
    • 1,282 Posts
    • 28,659 Thanks
    MMF007
    Ooh, MrsLW, that's the BEST news!!! Fingers crossed for a smooth process.

Well it is just over 2 years since I stopped being an employee and it still feels like I'm skiving when I have a free Tuesday and go out to play The weather was so gloriuos and we spent the day out in the sun admiring beautiful rhododendrons, watching mallard ducklings bobbing on a lake, and just relaxing

It's going to be cooler tomorrow but as I am working that's OK!

NM, that was a great haul from the supermarket
    I have changed my work-life balance to a life-work balance.
    • Softstuff
    • By Softstuff 15th May 18, 9:26 PM
    • 2,971 Posts
    • 33,898 Thanks
    Softstuff
    Congratulations MrsLW, wonderful news

FPK, my scales have been in daily use, it surprised me how bad I was at estimating anything at all! That said, when pouring a measure of a drink, I actually underpoured....

VJsmum, I'm due exactly the same filling next visit! It's been a nightmare flossing that one gap, but I sort of put it off till next time.

Nursemaggie, great bargains there, it's been a while since I've had a good haul like that here.
    Softstuff- Officially better than 007
    • monnagran
    • By monnagran 15th May 18, 9:29 PM
    • 3,870 Posts
    • 51,915 Thanks
    monnagran
    Lyn, that is beyond wonderful. Isn't it amazing how everything in your life can change in the space of a few hours?

Happy dreams tonight.
    I believe that friends are quiet angels
    Who lift us to our feet when our wings
    Have trouble remembering how to fly.
    • nursemaggie
    • By nursemaggie 15th May 18, 9:38 PM
    • 2,316 Posts
    • 30,700 Thanks
    nursemaggie
    Same for me too softstuff. I bought salad stuff as well so I have had salmon salad for tea with two slices of the small farmhouse bread, It's a few years since I have had white bread it was lovely with norpack, That's Ald!s version of L*rpack. I finished off with two chocolate muses as they only had 80 calories and I have not eaten much today.
    • meanmarie
    • By meanmarie 15th May 18, 10:05 PM
    • 4,997 Posts
    • 48,476 Thanks
    meanmarie
    What wonderful news Lyn and He Who Knows! I am so happy for you both that you have found what you want, where you want. Health and happiness in your new venture. I am lucky enough to have most of my children and grandchildren within 30 minutes drive.

Marie
    Weight 08 February 86kg
    • Hard Up Hester
    • By Hard Up Hester 15th May 18, 10:51 PM
    • 3,760 Posts
    • 47,415 Thanks
    Hard Up Hester
    Great news Mrs LW, I'm so pleased for you.
    Chin up, Titus out.
    • silver-oldie
    • By silver-oldie 16th May 18, 6:48 AM
    • 448 Posts
    • 6,332 Thanks
    silver-oldie
    Wonderful news MrsLW
    If you walk at night no-one will see you cry.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,522Posts Today

8,477Users online

Martin's Twitter