Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Knit Witch
    • By Knit Witch 18th Jul 17, 8:29 PM
    • 3,577Posts
    • 32,736Thanks
    Knit Witch
    The Garden Fence - proper Old Style support and chat!
    • 18th Jul 17, 8:29 PM
    The Garden Fence - proper Old Style support and chat! 18th Jul 17 at 8:29 PM
    As threads are going walkabout I thought I would start the next stage of this off - I will try and do the links later!
    V3ry - 389.60
Page 325
    • nursemaggie
    • By nursemaggie 14th May 18, 10:19 PM
    • 2,396 Posts
    • 31,913 Thanks
    nursemaggie
    Yes softstuff I do have room for an ironing board but I don't think I will do much. I did used to enjoy ironing. I don't think I can be bothered with it now.
    • ivyleaf
    • By ivyleaf 15th May 18, 8:57 AM
    • 5,830 Posts
    • 63,362 Thanks
    ivyleaf
    I'm with you there nursemaggie. I have 4 pairs of linen trousers and 2 linen shirts which need ironing before I can wear them, and I keep putting it off

I have to help my lovely neighbour give a statement to the police this morning. Yesterday a man came to her door, purporting to have come to let her know they'd be doing some tree-cutting "next door"; she asked "which next door", as neither we nor her neighbours on the other side had mentioned it. He kept asking her why she wouldn't open the door (she had the chain on.) He then asked her where her husband was, which rang alarm bells . Her husband is virtually bedridden, but a carer happened to be upstairs with him, so she called the carer to come down, and as the carer came downstairs the man walked off.
    Another chap had apparently called at another elderly neighbour's house further along the road and became very aggressive when she wouldn't open her door, culminating in him going round the back by jumping over fences, and threatening to hurt her little dog if it didn't shut up That was earlier in the morning and the police came to see her then.

Apparently the police reckon it's "opportunistic travellers" doing it. Whatever, they are vile creatures, preying on frail elderly people
    Anyway, next-door neighbour is Asian and rather deaf, so has asked me to be there when the police come, to make communication easier.
    • monnagran
    • By monnagran 15th May 18, 10:01 AM
    • 3,968 Posts
    • 53,758 Thanks
    monnagran
    Ivyleaf, I know what you mean about linen clothes. I love the look and feel of them as I slide into a well ironed linen skirt or trousers, fresh from the hanger. Such a shame that 5 minutes later it looks as if they have come straight from bottom of the rag bag.
    How alarming for your neighbours. I do hope that they catch the lowlife responsible.

FairyP, I love your more succinct version of yesterday's "thought." I dont know why I feel the need to use 10 words when one will do the job.

I think I must be weird, ( I'm allowed to say that, not you) because I really do love ironing. It is so peaceful, with something nice on the radio, to spend an hour doing something warm, dry and clean that doesn't require any great brain work and produces a pile of ready-to-wear clothes.
    BIG, BIG CONFESSION. (sadly, tablet doesn't do very small, faint print) I iron teatowels.

There, having blown any pretence of being a normal, paid-up member of society I'll move swiftly on.

Another bright sunny day here. I think it must be the Britishness in me that makes me very nervous when we get a spell of good weather. I can't help thinking gloomily, "We'll pay for this."
    In the meantime I will get some washing out on the line and make the most of it.

THOUGHT FOR TODAY

Do all the good you can and make as little fuss about it as possible. (Charles Dickens)
    Last edited by monnagran; 15-05-2018 at 10:04 AM.
    I believe that friends are quiet angels
    Who lift us to our feet when our wings
    Have trouble remembering how to fly.
    • maryb
    • By maryb 15th May 18, 10:14 AM
    • 3,890 Posts
    • 48,276 Thanks
    maryb
    I iron teatowels too, Monna otherwise they don't fit flat in the drawer.
    It doesn't matter if you are a glass half full or half empty sort of person. Keep it topped up! Cheers!
    • silvasava
    • By silvasava 15th May 18, 10:15 AM
    • 3,894 Posts
    • 62,524 Thanks
    silvasava
    Ahhh - ironing,used to love it with a glass of something near the ironing board. DH does it now - I started by asking him to iron the quilt cover when I fractured my wrist........somehow he's never given it up
    Can't stand linen precisely because it looks like a dishrag 5 minutes after you've got it on!
    Hoped for a cheeky little sail today but the wind is a bit too fresh for my liking - I'm sure I can find something to do in the garden, or house,or, or - something.
    Small victories - sometimes they are all you can hope for but sometimes they are all you need - be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle
    • monnagran
    • By monnagran 15th May 18, 10:21 AM
    • 3,968 Posts
    • 53,758 Thanks
    monnagran
    maryb. Thank goodness for you. I don't feel so bad now.

Silva, Go for the 'something'. Housework and gardening will still be there tomorrow. Unfortunately.
    • CRANKY40
    • By CRANKY40 15th May 18, 10:44 AM
    • 2,911 Posts
    • 31,564 Thanks
    CRANKY40
    I iron tea towels too. Isn't that how you kill germs? I have to iron the House Troll's school shirts anyway so a couple of tea towels don't make that much difference. I iron my bedding but not his - he doesn't appreciate it and his duvet covers are cotton jersey anyway as are his pillowcases. I don't really get the point of linen clothes. They're fine if you want to put them on then stand still where you dressed yourself for the rest of the day but otherwise.......

Our boat will be going in soon Silva. The HT sails but I don't. They race to win and they only offered me to go once when it was a bit lumpy and they thought a bit of extra ballast might be handy. I declined.

I've been running this morning. I haven't lost much in the way of weight for the last month because the extra exercise messed up my eating plan. I think I'm sorted now though, and I've updated the freezer inventory so I can pick something off the list for our evening meal instead of opening the freezer door and peering in hopefully whilst waiting for something to shout "pick me, pick me".
    Weight loss 2018 18.5 lbs
    • Floss
    • By Floss 15th May 18, 10:50 AM
    • 4,901 Posts
    • 45,559 Thanks
    Floss
    I iron tea towels too, along with DHs hankies & any clothes of mine (he irons his own shirts ) and pillowcases.
    • Softstuff
    • By Softstuff 15th May 18, 11:16 AM
    • 3,045 Posts
    • 35,256 Thanks
    Softstuff
    I like ironed things enough to warrant not minding ironing them. Even PJ's. And I love linen too, I don't worry too much about the creases, but linen is lovely to wear when it's ridiculously hot and humid. I find though, that good quality branded linen stays better looking during wear.... and is available in charity shops here for just a couple of quid.
    Softstuff- Officially better than 007
    • Hard Up Hester
    • By Hard Up Hester 15th May 18, 11:43 AM
    • 3,874 Posts
    • 49,420 Thanks
    Hard Up Hester
    What is this 'ironing' of which you speak?

Dgd and I have been to Tesco and bought new socks for all three dgd's plus a Troll dress and wig that was reduced!
    Then we went to the park, then came home for lunch, she's off to nursery soon then I can catch a nana nap!
    Chin up, Titus out.
    • MrsLurcherwalker
    • By MrsLurcherwalker 15th May 18, 12:03 PM
    • 12,597 Posts
    • 174,642 Thanks
    MrsLurcherwalker
    Well.....we've accepted the offer on this house and travelled yesterday to look at two very nice houses in our chosen area one of which we viewed in February but thought the garden too small. Looking again we've decided to make them an offer close to asking price and can, we think, make the garden work and get ourselves another allotment which is relatively close by which we'll both work so we'll still have our 'outside occupation' to keep us fit and active. This is both exciting and rather scary!!!
    Thumpers mum was right - if you can't find anything nice to say don't say anything at all!
    • Floss
    • By Floss 15th May 18, 12:22 PM
    • 4,901 Posts
    • 45,559 Thanks
    Floss
    Oooh exciting times Mrs LW!! Fingers crossed it all works out xx
    • maryb
    • By maryb 15th May 18, 12:39 PM
    • 3,890 Posts
    • 48,276 Thanks
    maryb
    Exciting!! do you think it will be autumn before you actually complete? That would be OK timing for a gardener, wouldn't it? harvest the summer's produce at your current place and then you've got autumn and winter to dig over the new allotment ready for spring
    It doesn't matter if you are a glass half full or half empty sort of person. Keep it topped up! Cheers!
    • monnagran
    • By monnagran 15th May 18, 1:15 PM
    • 3,968 Posts
    • 53,758 Thanks
    monnagran
    Lyn, WOWEE!!! Everything crossed for you that your offer is accepted and all the negotiations, surveys, solicitors etc, go smoothly.

I am busy going through winter coats, scarves, gloves, thick jumpers and such, trying to decide what to move with me and what can safely be dumped on the poor unsuspecting CS. Also, looking at the mountain of summer clothes of various sizes I am amazed at how difficult I am finding it to part with anything. However, part I must so a break for some lunch and then I'll be back to it.
    • ivyleaf
    • By ivyleaf 15th May 18, 1:17 PM
    • 5,830 Posts
    • 63,362 Thanks
    ivyleaf
    Ooh, Lyn! I'm so excited for you. A small garden plus an allotment sounds a great idea! I hope all goes to plan
    • shanks77
    • By shanks77 15th May 18, 2:24 PM
    • 1,127 Posts
    • 10,696 Thanks
    shanks77
    Great news MrsLW hope you have luck getting your new house as well x
    • nursemaggie
    • By nursemaggie 15th May 18, 2:50 PM
    • 2,396 Posts
    • 31,913 Thanks
    nursemaggie
    Lovely Lyn I hope everything works out for you.
    • MrsLurcherwalker
    • By MrsLurcherwalker 15th May 18, 3:14 PM
    • 12,597 Posts
    • 174,642 Thanks
    MrsLurcherwalker
    Thank you all, exciting times indeed. Mary our purchaser wants to be installed here by mid September as she's sold her own house and is living with family, not ideal even when you love them, so we'd move into rented possibly a holiday let for a short period if we can't complete by that date at the other end.
    Thumpers mum was right - if you can't find anything nice to say don't say anything at all!
    • silvasava
    • By silvasava 15th May 18, 4:14 PM
    • 3,894 Posts
    • 62,524 Thanks
    silvasava
    Do hope everything runs smoothly for you MrsL - it sounds a very practical solution for you both xx
    Small victories - sometimes they are all you can hope for but sometimes they are all you need - be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle
    • kittie
    • By kittie 15th May 18, 6:10 PM
    • 12,446 Posts
    • 78,958 Thanks
    kittie
    MrsLW, that is some of the best, most uplifting news, congratulations and I hope everything goes like clockwork

Reading about sailing, reminds me of one of my favourite tunes on radio 4, I sometimes hear it when the radio is left on after I have gone to bed. Called sailing by and it is just before the shipping forecast
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dFdas-kMF74
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,213Posts Today

6,279Users online

Martin's Twitter