Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Knit Witch
    • By Knit Witch 18th Jul 17, 8:29 PM
    • 3,577Posts
    • 32,731Thanks
    Knit Witch
    The Garden Fence - proper Old Style support and chat!
    • 18th Jul 17, 8:29 PM
    The Garden Fence - proper Old Style support and chat! 18th Jul 17 at 8:29 PM
    As threads are going walkabout I thought I would start the next stage of this off - I will try and do the links later!
    V3ry - 389.60
Page 323
    • fuddle
    • By fuddle 13th May 18, 11:36 AM
    • 6,540 Posts
    • 100,362 Thanks
    fuddle
    Hello all. I have another week to read up on and I must because I notice up the page Lyn mentioning offer and house in the same sentence!

I have been missing quite on purpose these past few weeks. I'm going through a 'new', although probably very much connected, health crisis and I didn't want to wrap the whole thread up in my ruddy woes again. I'm going down the ulcerative colitis investigation route. My 'tummy problems' that we're IBS/woman's troubles and my own grain intolerance diagnosis over the years accumulated in a lot of pain, and some red stuff and some icky stuff these weeks. My heart rate played the fast game again even on the meds. UC can have an effect on the heart and can cause myocarditis and heart damage. The high inflammatory markers mean my body is and has been for sometime 'fighting something' and likely not able to fight infection. So after freaking out I'm embarking on another medical journey. At least, nearly two years on, I'm moving down towards investigation, hopefully answers and then a plan on bodily strength.

I always knew autoimmunity was involved somewhere.

I'm trying very hard to just get on with things.

My plot is manable and slowly coming to life. So far we've consumed 24p worth of over wintered greenhouse spring onions (I'm costing price per 100g from supermarket, weighing and working out the value of what I bring in). 24p!!

I left my knitting in the caravan but nearly finished my first knitted card and at home I,'m crocheting a chunky purple jumper for the autumn.

My printer has just finished printing a free t-shirt pattern so I' m going to give myself a headache trying to assemble it, cut it and find a nice Jersey knit online.

Keep on keeping on my friends. I'll be caught up in the next 24 hours.
    Be like a tree.
    Stay grounded. Connect with your roots. Turn over a new leaf.
    Bend before you break. Enjoy your natural beauty. Keep growing.
    • Hard Up Hester
    • By Hard Up Hester 13th May 18, 12:25 PM
    • 3,871 Posts
    • 49,380 Thanks
    Hard Up Hester
    Greenbee, I'm going because DD1 want to, I don't even have a juicer.
    Sorry to hear that Fuddle, I hope so he investigations prove useful
    Chin up, Titus out.
    • nursemaggie
    • By nursemaggie 13th May 18, 1:45 PM
    • 2,395 Posts
    • 31,900 Thanks
    nursemaggie
    DS's room has had a though clean. I have moved a lot of stuff that would normally lived in the understair cupboard in there. I have moved my store cupboard into his old wardrobe. It is not really a wardrobe it's a tallboy. It makes a very acceptable store cupboard for all my tins jars and packets. I could so with a couple of shelves adding.

I think I will have to take the store cupboard challenge. When it is difficult to keep going under the bed you can't really keep track of what you have. Just not sure how I will use some things, they just don't mix to make a meal.

With only half the towels and bed linen I am using the airing cupboard for my pans. No more waiting for DS to get them down from the top of the cupboard.

I have not heard from him since he came back Wednesday afternoon. He did not find the cable he had lost. He says they are not available retail.

I hope he is coming for his dinner today as I have taken 2 Chicken breasts out of the freezer.

Fuddle I hope they soon find out what is wrong with you. You will soon have been round every department.

Funny mar I can't get anything but "this page does not exist" on your link. Every one else has seen it so can't think what can be wrong.

You know, if it was not for the family upstairs, and the fact that they will probably replaced with similar, I think I would be OK to stay here.
    • CRANKY40
    • By CRANKY40 13th May 18, 1:47 PM
    • 2,909 Posts
    • 31,524 Thanks
    CRANKY40
    Mar how could you not tend to her every need? She's lovely. I'm an even worse cat slave by the way as I make our two sleep downstairs. They have a tendency to come alive at 1am and I end up bringing them downstairs anyway so they may as well stay down here. Added to that cat 1 doesn't approve of cat 2 and won't sleep next to her but will sit on my pillow and chew my hair to let me know her favourite place has been taken. The resulting coughing and gagging (not to mention that I don't want my hair chewing) is not conducive to sleep so another reason for them to sleep elsewhere.

This fat/carb thing is wrecking my head. I've read the blood sugar diet which says low carb and I've read a running book which says 3 meals a day, plenty of carbs and plenty of veg. I'm just going into week 3 of couch to 5k and have no idea what I should be eating....I do half an hour couch to 5k and half an hour on the exercise bike (about 6 miles) so if anyone has any suggestions please say. I'm trying to lose weight as well as be fitter. The exercise is to encourage the circulation in my bad leg to recover but a bit of help with the weight loss would be a good side effect if it happened

I've just made brownies for the HT. I don't like them so it's a good cake to make from my point of view. I have the HT's uniform to iron but have a spare hour first. I can't decide if I should do a freezer inventory - the old one is woefully out of date or do some gardening. I have a feeling the freezer inventory would be more helpful with the eating thing.

Fuddle I hope you get sorted out. Every time I have blood tests the GP says something about my inflammatory markers....and then does nothing. Mine is more than likely due to damage from my hypermobility though so I let it slide. Colitis is so painful though so I hope they make it manageable for you.
    Weight loss 2018 18.5 lbs
    • ivyleaf
    • By ivyleaf 13th May 18, 1:55 PM
    • 5,824 Posts
    • 63,309 Thanks
    ivyleaf
    Aww fuddle, I'm so sorry. I guessed you must have been unwell again. I hope they'll be able to sort you out now xx
    • maryb
    • By maryb 13th May 18, 2:38 PM
    • 3,890 Posts
    • 48,272 Thanks
    maryb
    Oh Fuddle I am sorry - it just doesn't seem to end. At least with the diet changes you have made you are giving yourself as much help as you can
    It doesn't matter if you are a glass half full or half empty sort of person. Keep it topped up! Cheers!
    • kittie
    • By kittie 13th May 18, 4:29 PM
    • 12,446 Posts
    • 78,958 Thanks
    kittie
    fuddle, my husband had ulcerative colitis when he was 32, he was hospitalised after he collapsed, sent home with tablets and that was that. I learnt how to deal with it via diet and he never had a bad attack since. I will pm you and tell you very briefly what I did and how he managed it, so that eventually his gut cured. Be aware that gut and skin are one long tube and interconnected
    • FairyPrincessk
    • By FairyPrincessk 13th May 18, 6:03 PM
    • 2,384 Posts
    • 25,957 Thanks
    FairyPrincessk
    Oh Fuddle, I'm sorry to hear it. You've really been through it with your health. I hope they find some answers for you soon.

Cranky, I think the fat carb thing really is a tough question. About the only thing everyone seems to agree on is more vegetables. I know there are some in the low carb/sugar community who advocate fewer pulses, although everyone else seems to think they're the way to go and I tend to agree. One thing that has surprised me is that even the used to be low fat proponents are no longer low fat, just low saturated fat...which is where I'm aiming. Things like salmon, nuts and avocados are still on our menus in moderation.

I've found this website, which is quite useful as it lets you put in recipes for homemade food and then generates stats for you. The measurements are mostly american, but I've just discovered that my favourite cake recipe actually isn't so bad. Might be useful for the Old Stylers who want to check out specific recipes, no matter which healthy eating scheme you're trying for.

https://www.verywellfit.com/recipe-nutrition-analyzer-4157076
    • ivyleaf
    • By ivyleaf 13th May 18, 7:29 PM
    • 5,824 Posts
    • 63,309 Thanks
    ivyleaf
    fuddle, my husband had ulcerative colitis when he was 32, he was hospitalised after he collapsed, sent home with tablets and that was that. I learnt how to deal with it via diet and he never had a bad attack since. I will pm you and tell you very briefly what I did and how he managed it, so that eventually his gut cured. Be aware that gut and skin are one long tube and interconnected
    Originally posted by kittie
    Goodness, so they are! How on earth have I reached my sixties without that ever occurring to me?

I am reading such a lovely book at the moment. "Bookworm - A Memoir of Childhood Reading" by Lucy Mangan. She is the same age as my DD1 and they seem to have read all the same books, many of which I too read and loved as a child It's such a happy read.
    • camelot1001
    • By camelot1001 13th May 18, 7:35 PM
    • 4,021 Posts
    • 49,119 Thanks
    camelot1001
    I think that cat has you exactly where it wants you mar.

Hope you get to the root of the problem fuddle, seems such a long time you've been unwell one way or another.

Can't believe your viewers took up your carpet Mrs LW, what a bloomin cheek. By the way, there was a huge bumble bee in the kitchen this afternoon, I pointed to the window and told it to go out and it did!

I've spent the past 2 days in the garden/allotment, things are looking quite good, hope the weather stays good now.
    • fuddle
    • By fuddle 13th May 18, 8:37 PM
    • 6,540 Posts
    • 100,362 Thanks
    fuddle
    I just think I'm like so many people. Things take time, time takes it toll and things happen and accumulate. To think that your dear husband overcame UC and myo in his 30's without the medical knowledge we have today and just on diet and the sort of info you've given behind the scenes gives me hope. I would describe it as having fire in my belly but that is er, somewhat not funny right now

Diet. It's everything. Thanks everyone.
    Be like a tree.
    Stay grounded. Connect with your roots. Turn over a new leaf.
    Bend before you break. Enjoy your natural beauty. Keep growing.
    • Softstuff
    • By Softstuff 13th May 18, 8:47 PM
    • 3,045 Posts
    • 35,256 Thanks
    Softstuff
    Aww Fuddle *hugs* at least now they might start getting to the root of the actual problem, fingers crossed. You're overdue a large chunk of good luck that way for sure.

Be careful though Fuddle, costing out your allotment veg, or you might end up like me and eating the worlds most expensive vegetable I did everything I could to get my courgette plant to grow, battled every pest and disease through a very wet humid summer.... and got one pesky gold plated miniature courgette!

Nursemaggie, if you'd like to post some of what you have in the storecupboard here, I bet we'd have some interesting suggestions.

Cranky, as you know, I'm on low carb with plenty of fat. After reading the research, skinny hubby is doing it too and, anecdotally, has found improved endurance and his personal best jogging times (we're both very active now and becoming more so), so it doesn't preclude exercise. But I think what you eat is very personal, and though this is very much working for us, it's not one size fits all.
    Softstuff- Officially better than 007
    • nursemaggie
    • By nursemaggie 13th May 18, 9:10 PM
    • 2,395 Posts
    • 31,900 Thanks
    nursemaggie
    If not mentioned by Kitty, fuddle, cod liver oil is a good anti inflammatory and 3 dates a day may help too.

DS came for his dinner and took a lot of things away. I think I need to cut down on things stored for other people. DS's old room is quite full now with boxes. Some are empty for me to pack.

DS jumped and then shuddered and then he carefully lifted the corner of a box lid and then laughed.

"I saw a pair of eyes!" he said.

It was Aleksander Meerkat in the box.

FPK that looks a very useful website I will use that.
    • nursemaggie
    • By nursemaggie 13th May 18, 9:13 PM
    • 2,395 Posts
    • 31,900 Thanks
    nursemaggie
    Why am I getting these huge spaces between between paragraphs?
    • nursemaggie
    • By nursemaggie 13th May 18, 9:19 PM
    • 2,395 Posts
    • 31,900 Thanks
    nursemaggie
    softstuff five tins of salmon, five tins of tuna, and two tins of caramel custard see what you can do with those. I have 5 jellies too so I could make tuna trifle.
    • pandamonium
    • By pandamonium 13th May 18, 9:37 PM
    • 159 Posts
    • 1,879 Thanks
    pandamonium

DS came for his dinner and took a lot of things away.
    Originally posted by nursemaggie
    I was going to suggest palming off, er I mean gifting, some of the excess food to DS .

Not sure tuna trifle is going to be the next "in" thing .

Been plotting and scheming about how to make DS1's tiny bedroom work. I think I have been overthinking it. Is it just me who suffers from paralysing perfectionism? I think I have a workable solution now, I just need to get on with it.

Lots more work has happened in the garden while we have some good weather. It almost looks respectable now.

Along with everyone inproving their diet and taking more excercise, I'm back low carbing from tomorrow ( I seem to have grown out of a lot of my summer clothes. I thought only kids did that ). Trying to find myself a reasonably priced Dutch style bike, I quite fancy being the mad cat lady on the vintage bicycle .

Hugs and healing vibes to all who need them.

Panda x
    • Nargleblast
    • By Nargleblast 13th May 18, 9:41 PM
    • 9,162 Posts
    • 58,806 Thanks
    Nargleblast
    Fuddle - sorry to hear the dreaded UC is threatening to put in an appearance. On the bright side, though, you already know far more about healthy eating than I did all those years ago when I was first diagnosed. You have learnt what suits your body and what doesn't. It is still a work in progress, though. Steve Wright and Jordan Reasoner, two American chaps who developed the Specific Carbohydrate Diet, often say that you can have a long period free of symptoms, then just when you think you have cracked it and found the perfect diet, your gut starts playing up again, so you have to make a few more tweaks here and there. Some people are sensitive to one or more of the Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse, otherwise known as dairy, eggs, nuts and fruit. Whatever works for you, do as I think it was Churchill who said - keep b*ggering on......
    One life - your life - live it!
    • Softstuff
    • By Softstuff 13th May 18, 10:01 PM
    • 3,045 Posts
    • 35,256 Thanks
    Softstuff
    I have 5 jellies too so I could make tuna trifle.
    Originally posted by nursemaggie
    You could, but I'd rather you didn't

The caramel custard I have nothing for, but we get through salmon and tuna at a rate of knots here:
    Salmon for brekkie with boiled eggs, mushrooms and spinach
    salmon added to the end of stir fried veg and warmed through
    salmon or tuna crustless quiche
    Salmon or tuna salad

Tuna I can just eat directly with a bit of balsamic vinegar as a snack though...
    Softstuff- Officially better than 007
    • nursemaggie
    • By nursemaggie 13th May 18, 10:24 PM
    • 2,395 Posts
    • 31,900 Thanks
    nursemaggie
    I do have plans for the salmon and tuna though not the caramel custard. I was meaning I really need to buy some things to go with what I have. I have ton of lentils and pasta. I did send DS home with some pasta.
    • Islandmaid
    • By Islandmaid 14th May 18, 6:44 AM
    • 2,860 Posts
    • 41,113 Thanks
    Islandmaid
    Just popping in to say Hi to Fuddle - lovely to see you posting, sorry you have been through the mill with health x

Today is my first time out of the house for 4 days, had this bloomin cold, that started about 3 weeks ago, then floored me Wednesday - feeling more human today, but very, errrm snotty... sorry TMI but no other word describes it.

Beautiful clear skies here, still cool but due to warm later.

Re low carb, I need to get back to it properly, I lost 4 stone about 10years ago, but slipped back into easy carb ways. I still avoid wheat, but need to lose some weight, so thanks for the prompt - Hubby could have a slimmer me to take away in September
    Note to self - STOP SPENDING MONEY !!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,839Posts Today

7,969Users online

Martin's Twitter