Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Knit Witch
    • By Knit Witch 18th Jul 17, 8:29 PM
    • 3,607Posts
    • 32,920Thanks
    Knit Witch
    The Garden Fence - proper Old Style support and chat!
    • 18th Jul 17, 8:29 PM
    The Garden Fence - proper Old Style support and chat! 18th Jul 17 at 8:29 PM
    As threads are going walkabout I thought I would start the next stage of this off - I will try and do the links later!
    Must use my stash up!
Page 322
    • ivyleaf
    • By ivyleaf 12th May 18, 5:47 PM
    • 5,925 Posts
    • 64,435 Thanks
    ivyleaf
    Oh Lyn, how annoying about the carpet.

Is it possible that your house is being shown as "Under offer" on the estate agent's website?
    • silvasava
    • By silvasava 12th May 18, 5:48 PM
    • 3,977 Posts
    • 63,558 Thanks
    silvasava
    For all you chums watching your diets for whatever reason I do remember my lovely doctor telling me that the best thing was butter - in moderation. I'm sure all us oldies remember the diets promoted in our teens were always to cut the carbs - amazing how things turn full circle isn't it?
    MMF007 - your diet and lifestyle sounds very similar to mine - luckily I'm an ectomorph so my weight doesnt vary all that much and I do find it quite easy to lose the 'winter pounds' but I'm interested in lowering my cholesterol and blood pressure by diet so I can keep off medication.
    Small victories - sometimes they are all you can hope for but sometimes they are all you need - be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle
    • MrsLurcherwalker
    • By MrsLurcherwalker 12th May 18, 6:08 PM
    • 12,830 Posts
    • 177,269 Thanks
    MrsLurcherwalker
    I checked IVYLEAF and no it's still there for sale. It's a mystery!
    Thumpers mum was right - if you can't find anything nice to say don't say anything at all!
    • ivyleaf
    • By ivyleaf 12th May 18, 8:07 PM
    • 5,925 Posts
    • 64,435 Thanks
    ivyleaf
    I checked IVYLEAF and no it's still there for sale. It's a mystery!
    Originally posted by MrsLurcherwalker
    Now that's just weird. I hope your friend put the person right who'd said it was under offer!
    • MMF007
    • By MMF007 12th May 18, 8:11 PM
    • 1,328 Posts
    • 29,572 Thanks
    MMF007
    MrsLW, I bet the mis-information is being put about by a friend or relative of the people who made the offer!

Well, just finished a 6 hour stint of fence painting, mowing, patch repair of grass and cleaning DH's van. Am a bit tired
    Oven-cooked fish (yes, I listened to my own advice!), green beans and cauli for me. DH is having potato wedges with his.

Feeling chilly now so shall deploy my fleecy blanket while we watch a dvd. Oh, it is indeed an exciting life I lead
    I have changed my work-life balance to a life-work balance.
    • MrsLurcherwalker
    • By MrsLurcherwalker 12th May 18, 9:41 PM
    • 12,830 Posts
    • 177,269 Thanks
    MrsLurcherwalker
    Maybe but we haven't accepted the offer yet and we're waiting on feed back from this afternoons viewing. We'll have to wait and see if it happens again and I'll bite hard if it does!
    Thumpers mum was right - if you can't find anything nice to say don't say anything at all!
    • Softstuff
    • By Softstuff 12th May 18, 9:48 PM
    • 3,059 Posts
    • 35,457 Thanks
    Softstuff
    My breakfast now is bacon, black pudding and mushrooms. It's terrific for blood sugar and low carb.
    Originally posted by mardatha
    I'm popping round for brekkie with you Mardatha. Without the toast and with plenty of spinach (I'll bring my own) The downside for us here is that black pudding is so darned expensive, it's an exotic item We have it from time to time, but if it was cheaper it'd be a regular.

Mrs LW, the estate agent should be paying to get the carpet put back down and repaired if necessary, that's not on. The only way the person on facebook would say "under offer" to my mind is if that's what the estate agent has told them verbally. I recall being told when we were looking at houses and asking to view one, that a particular house was sold... evidently it wasn't because it was still being advertised months after we'd moved in here. Could you get a friend to "mystery shop" the estate agents, give them a ring and ask about your house?

Today we may be hanging a door, assembling a bed, hanging a curtain rail, installing a hanging chain for a gym ball, digging up a garden bed and who the heck knows what else. Oh, and roasting a chicken, baking a cake and maybe taking a nap
    Softstuff- Officially better than 007
    • VJsmum
    • By VJsmum 12th May 18, 10:11 PM
    • 5,374 Posts
    • 79,083 Thanks
    VJsmum
    Another one who's had a busy day.

A bath whilst catching up with The Split (not the busy bit); four loads of washing; some marking; cleaned the kitchen; cleaned two bathrooms and a bedroom; changed the sheets; made 6 jars of marmalade (from a tin, I'm no Monna ); made stock.

Had avocado, chicken and bacon salad for tea watching Eurovision...
    You're out with a friend in the capital, I'm a thousand leagues under the sea
    You're hovering worriedly over your eggs, And I'm pondering trees
    I'm wandering long, And I'm pondering trees
    For you and me
    Guy Garvey
    • mardatha
    • By mardatha 13th May 18, 6:02 AM
    • 15,298 Posts
    • 148,665 Thanks
    mardatha
    Got up at 4am for the loo.
    Got up at 4.30am to clean up a furball being coughed up on my bedroom carpet.
    Got up at 5am to tell the cat that no, I wasn't getting up to let her into the livingroom to the fire and to stop miaowing.
    Got up at 5.20am to let the cat into the livingroom, and made tea.
    • maryb
    • By maryb 13th May 18, 7:19 AM
    • 3,933 Posts
    • 48,902 Thanks
    maryb
    Cats don't have owners they have slaves
    It doesn't matter if you are a glass half full or half empty sort of person. Keep it topped up! Cheers!
    • Softstuff
    • By Softstuff 13th May 18, 7:44 AM
    • 3,059 Posts
    • 35,457 Thanks
    Softstuff
    The cat has your number Mardatha.
    • mardatha
    • By mardatha 13th May 18, 7:50 AM
    • 15,298 Posts
    • 148,665 Thanks
    mardatha
    If you're on FB you can see her -
    https://www.facebook.com/mary.munro.90410
    • silvasava
    • By silvasava 13th May 18, 8:39 AM
    • 3,977 Posts
    • 63,558 Thanks
    silvasava
    Oh you mean Mary!!! I'm so glad we're not the only house ruled by a little Diva! I nearly renamed mine Mimi cos it's always me me me! ( But like yours she is beautiful Mar)
    Small victories - sometimes they are all you can hope for but sometimes they are all you need - be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle
    • MrsLurcherwalker
    • By MrsLurcherwalker 13th May 18, 8:40 AM
    • 12,830 Posts
    • 177,269 Thanks
    MrsLurcherwalker
    He Who Knows fixed the carpet back down and when we flagged it up to the EA they were mortified, hadn't known it happened and so full of apology that we couldn't be cross. If yesterdays viewing doesn't produce a better offer we'll quite likely really consider the acceptable but not ideal one made by our Thursday viewer I just don't like being manipulated by a total stranger, whatever the reason, we did rectify the post on facebook and suggested checking status with the EA before posting in the future. No viewings today thank goodness, EA doesn't work on a Sunday so a day to hopefully just do what we want to and not be fussing the edges of the house all day. It even looks like a sunny day so I'll get some washing out to dry, can only be good!
    • FairyPrincessk
    • By FairyPrincessk 13th May 18, 8:56 AM
    • 2,387 Posts
    • 25,989 Thanks
    FairyPrincessk
    Morning all,

Mar--the photos are gorgeous. Maggie likes to hide on chairs like that too. I hope you apologized for not attending to her every whim this morning

Mrs LW, I hope you get some interest from this last viewing, it will help put the other offer in perspective no matter what it is--either you'll know it is good enough or you'll know that actually it is worth hanging on a bit.

OH and I are off out for a walk this morning, a new area we haven't explored yet.

The paprika chicken last night was gorgeous. Probably not a week night meal, but nice for a weekend and if made for guests I don't think anyone would think it was 'healthy.' It probably could have done with slightly less yoghurt.
    https://www.bhf.org.uk/heart-matters/healthy-eating-toolkit/recipe-finder/chicken-paprika

OH is doing black bean burgers tonight, an old standby, but probably with a bit of hummus instead of cheese on top. Hugs to all who need them.
    • monnagran
    • By monnagran 13th May 18, 9:11 AM
    • 4,023 Posts
    • 54,334 Thanks
    monnagran
    Mar, do you think that your cat and my dog are in cahoots?
    Millie thinks that 5.00am is an appropriate time for me to be up and getting her breakfast. She starts the waking up process about 15 minutes before this by first doing her morning exercises, rolling around on the floor and grunting in joyous anticipation of the day ahead. This is followed by the vigorous shaking of the head and the ears doing their castanet impression. If my feet aren't on the floor by that time vocal complaints are uttered.

I have been reading since then, all efforts to get back to sleep having failed.

The sun is shining but it is significantly cooler. Nothing at all planned for today. It's best that way so anything achieved is a bonus.

Mrs LW, enjoy your viewing free day. It's a pain, isn't it, to have to get the house looking like a shop window? My mother used to say that a too tidy house means that nothing was happening in it. I can only assume that my house is the scene of unrivalled activity. A bit like Softstuffs planned day yesterday. Or was that tomorrow over here? I lose track of where we are in comparison with Oz.
    In my book of quotes it says that we shouldn't worry about the world ending today because it is already tomorrow in Australia.

THOUGHT FOR SUNDAY

There are three things that are real: God, human folly and laughter. Since the first two pass our comprehension, we must do what we can with the third.
    I believe that friends are quiet angels
    Who lift us to our feet when our wings
    Have trouble remembering how to fly.
    • Hard Up Hester
    • By Hard Up Hester 13th May 18, 9:14 AM
    • 3,926 Posts
    • 50,107 Thanks
    Hard Up Hester
    Gorgeous cat Mar, she obviously knows she's got you on a butty.
    I think it's a bit warmer today, I'm going to a blend versus juice workshop this afternoon!
    DD1 is interested I'm just tagging along, CHS will watch the GP.
    Chin up, Titus out.
    • greenbee
    • By greenbee 13th May 18, 9:27 AM
    • 12,805 Posts
    • 221,900 Thanks
    greenbee
    I think it's a bit warmer today, I'm going to a blend versus juice workshop this afternoon!
    Originally posted by Hard Up Hester
    I'd thought about going to that Hester, but decided I should stay at home and get on with the long list of stuff that needs doing. I'd be interested to hear what the verdict is. Either way I'd recommend juicing kale, as it's so tough that blending it leaves way too much texture
    • Softstuff
    • By Softstuff 13th May 18, 10:12 AM
    • 3,059 Posts
    • 35,457 Thanks
    Softstuff
    Monnagran, that day was today for me, and now is my evening, and I'm knackered. But a few things have been done. We're looking tidier here, simply by virtue of some of our things finally getting into the correct rooms (and also because we're getting rid of some things too that either didn't work out or were surplus to renovations).

Mardatha, that poor neglected kitty... with the adorable, smug "I know who's boss" face . No wonder you got up, I'm not sure I could resist a face like that. I'm beginning to wonder if we're more of a cat than a dog household... despite loving walking the neighbours dog, he has "habits" which we couldn't live with (he eats *anything* in sight and keeps having to go to the vets!).

Glad the carpet went back down MrsLW, and also glad the EA showed concern.
    • Hard Up Hester
    • By Hard Up Hester 13th May 18, 10:32 AM
    • 3,926 Posts
    • 50,107 Thanks
    Hard Up Hester
    Can I make jam without weighing the fruit and sugar, digital scales don't work on the boat.
    Chin up, Titus out.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,389Posts Today

7,509Users online

Martin's Twitter