Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Knit Witch
    • By Knit Witch 18th Jul 17, 8:29 PM
    • 3,575Posts
    • 32,719Thanks
    Knit Witch
    The Garden Fence - proper Old Style support and chat!
    • 18th Jul 17, 8:29 PM
    The Garden Fence - proper Old Style support and chat! 18th Jul 17 at 8:29 PM
    As threads are going walkabout I thought I would start the next stage of this off - I will try and do the links later!
    V3ry - 389.60
Page 321
    • Nargleblast
    • By Nargleblast 11th May 18, 10:00 PM
    • 9,158 Posts
    • 58,784 Thanks
    Nargleblast
    A visit to OH's brother in Australia 20 years ago led to me picking up this delightful recipe for Lebanese garlic sauce (sis in law is from the Lebanon).

The deadliest garlic sauce - not recommended for dogs or vampires, and nobody will speak to you for days after eating it.

Two large fat bulbs of garlic, cloves separated and peeled. Chop finely, sprinkling with salt to encourage the juice to flow. Mash it up in a bowl, adding oil drop by drop (as if making mayonnaise) then splash by splash. Suddenly remember that, rather than using a potato masher and getting nowhere, you can just get your stick blender out and mush it up in seconds to a lovely, creamy consistency. Add a generous dash of lemon juice, stir in.

Taste- if you dare. Put into a jar with a well fitting lid and store in the fridge. Use as an accompaniment to roasted or grilled meats, use half a teaspoonful in place of a garlic clove in recipes, smear over pizzas, bread etc.
    One life - your life - live it!
    • Softstuff
    • By Softstuff 11th May 18, 10:21 PM
    • 3,045 Posts
    • 35,256 Thanks
    Softstuff
    Nargleblast, when you're having a bit of research, have a look at lymphodoema sleeves and exercises too. MIL has it pretty badly and both of those have helped her. Wishing your OH good pathology results.

FPK, I'm sorry you're going cheeseless But great news there was nothing else, such a relief I'll bet.

MMF007, you're my lifestyle buddy! I'm about 5kg off my goal weight now, then I start weight training. And no, scones without jam and cream is senseless (I made popovers the other day - https://www.thankyourbody.com/recipe-coconut-flour-pop-overs/
    These are good with jam and cream) We're going out for mothers day lunch today. Planning a nice big steak.

Monnagran, I'm not usual a herbal tea person, but those ones really have me hooked, so I'm glad you like them too. I also like the "sleepytime" tea from the chilli choc people, but it's nowhere near as sweet tasting. And yes, a bit dear, but I'm just getting used to spending more of our money on groceries. Don't get all excited about the blue cheese, pork scratchings and whisky, though it did fit within my dietary guidelines, it was still a very naughty day (just not as naughty as days used to be at that special time of the month!). Generally my days involve about 8 portions of green veggies (spinach, cabbage, bok choi, pak choi, asparagus, green peppers, cucumber, zucchini etc), good fats - avocado, nuts, olive oil, full fat dairy, meat/chicken and fish at least 4 or 5 times a week. I do tend to include 90% cocoa chocolate, whisky once or twice a week (single shot neat) because these are my go to treats and fit quite well into the plan.

MRSLW congratulations on the offer, fingers crossed it all goes well

Hester, I love your DGD. She is my hero.
    Softstuff- Officially better than 007
    • shanks77
    • By shanks77 12th May 18, 12:29 AM
    • 1,127 Posts
    • 10,695 Thanks
    shanks77
    MaryB glad your hubby is on the road to recovery
    Likewise Nargleblast
    LWhope you enjoy your holiday
    NMfingers crossed for your home
    MrsLW hope you get a good offer and find a suitable house at the same time
    FPK hope you find some nice food to replace the ones you have to give up
    Happy birthday to Mr Ivyleaf
    Good luck to those trying to lose weight. I am on that bandwagon again after stepping on the scales on Monday. We both cried a lot so far no crisps, cake, biscuits or chocolate has passed my lips so I hope to see the benefit on Monday
    • FairyPrincessk
    • By FairyPrincessk 12th May 18, 5:36 AM
    • 2,384 Posts
    • 25,957 Thanks
    FairyPrincessk
    Morning all,

Yesterday morning I could have slept and slept but had to get up. This morning I'm up at 5am but don't need to be. Oh well.

Nursemaggie, don't worry I won't give it up entirely but we do eat too much of the full fat dairy around here. Since we don't eat a lot of meat there are a lot of cheese based meals and most of my favourite puddings involve cream. I also cut back on sugar a couple of years ago after watching dad struggle with diabetes related health issues and I don't want to increase that again (or salt!). I used to eat oats for breakfast, but tend to find it difficult to eat enough to keep me going all morning so I may look for some healthy flapjack type recipes for snacks.

Lyn how exciting! Oh, I do hope you find somewhere suitable soon and this all works out!

Nargle good luck with the lymphatic massage. Dad's therapist does it a lot for him as his loss of mobility also causes issues.

Well, the menus for this week need sorting and it might take me longer than usual so I guess I'll put these early hours to good use!
    • monnagran
    • By monnagran 12th May 18, 7:31 AM
    • 3,965 Posts
    • 53,731 Thanks
    monnagran
    Good morning Fencers.

The sun is still shining here and I am still in bed, albeit with 2 tons of dog on my feet.

Mrs LW, how exciting. You are absolutely right not to accept any silly offers. I do hope that you can find your new home soon, I feel sure that when you need it, it will be there.

FairyP you must be so relieved that nothing sinister was found. Now you can get on with enjoying summer and your garden. A few tweaks to your life style is easily accomplished and something you will be doing from time to time for the rest of your life, so it's as well to get a little practise in now.

My plans for today involve cleaning the patio windows inside and out - cue rain - and packing away all winter paraphenalia. I really don't think I'll need scarves, gloves, fur-lined boots, thick coats etc. again for a bit.

Otherwise it will be the usual pottering about and seeing what develops.

THOUGHT FOR TODAY

No one has a finer command of language than the person who keeps his mouth shut. (Sam Rayburn)

I really must remember this.
    I believe that friends are quiet angels
    Who lift us to our feet when our wings
    Have trouble remembering how to fly.
    • Floss
    • By Floss 12th May 18, 7:42 AM
    • 4,901 Posts
    • 45,558 Thanks
    Floss
    FPK I make overnight oats with low fat natural yougurt, rolled oats & raspberries - 4 portions at a time & stored in the fridge. I find that the oats & yogurt keep me going quite a long time. Look for recipes on t'interweb.

Also we often have tuna crunch sandwiches- tuna mayo with the addition of curry powder, a chopped apple & chopped stick of celery. A one-tin mix does 4 rounds of sandwiches on Lidly low-GI bread (which is absolutely delish if you can get it locally).
    • silver-oldie
    • By silver-oldie 12th May 18, 7:55 AM
    • 517 Posts
    • 7,338 Thanks
    silver-oldie
    Good morning all

Good news Mrs LW hope you get the offer you want, so exciting.
    I always had a dream of a home with land. I can close my eyes and see it clearly. I would have a poly tunnel, fruit trees, a couple of chickens and a dog, too old now.

Made newspaper plant pots for the leeks, hopefully they can grow a bit more in the greenhouse before planting out. Must get the runner beans in the garden.

A bit of a random question, are the slices of bread in a bought loaf getting thicker? I use my bread maker so don't often buy bread, but yesterday it seemed the medium slice was how I remember the thick slice. Maybe a cunning plan to make us buy more.

Enough of my ramble, hope you all have a good day
    If you walk at night no-one will see you cry.
    • FairyPrincessk
    • By FairyPrincessk 12th May 18, 8:20 AM
    • 2,384 Posts
    • 25,957 Thanks
    FairyPrincessk
    Floss OH eats overnight oats every morning. I struggle to eat the whole bowl first thing in the morning and then get hungry by about 9:30 The flapjacks will make a good midmorning snack and I'll put dried fruit in which will be good for iron (although high in sugar--but there we are, I've found a low sugar recipe as the base). The tuna sounds lush. One challenge is getting in more fish so that will be great for that. OH didn't like fish when we met but has slowly come round to once a week, now we'll up it to two. I've just found a recipe for fishcakes (which he loves) made with beans instead of potato so we'll give that a try.

Monna-once I get over the (very much self-inflicted) worry I'll enjoy it. Summer is a great time to start with all of the fresh stuff and I quite like taking time over the menus and recipes although with the new job this year they very much took a back seat.
    • MMF007
    • By MMF007 12th May 18, 8:20 AM
    • 1,328 Posts
    • 29,554 Thanks
    MMF007
    Lyn As this is to be your forever home and you both seem so fit I think you may be there a very long time. An allotment and a smaller garden you can manage when you are a lot older may be a good idea. The house could be smaller for the same reason as long as it has all you would like.

FPK as long as you eat oats every day that should help reduce your cholesterol. Generally eating more fruit and veg will help too. You do not need to cut out butter and cream all together in fact cutting fats too much is bad for you. Never buy anything labelled with "low fat" it is bound to be full of lots of sugar and be bad for you.
    Originally posted by nursemaggie
    My non-fat-eating friend also believes in 0% fat yogurt. Now I simply cannot understand what one is paying for in that case - thickened water with a tiny bit of milk protein? No way would i eat 0% fat yogurt!
    I eat lots of veg and salad, most days I eat a slice or 2 of cheese, often i have an omlette or scrambled egg (cooked using very little butter in a good non-stick pan) but i eat far fewer carbs than I used to and no sugar.
    I do not eat large portions of meat but it features most days.
    I feel a lot better than i used to.
    I should eat more fish (never have liked it but I do try!) and although my job is physically active I should do more exercise. Unfortunately i have had other commitments that keep me busy but not breaking out in a sweat, eg, a mountain of paperwork to sort Dad's estate and help mum with updating utilities etc, or painting the new railings for our fence, or taking my elderly friend out for the day (a very pleasant day but all done at slow speed!!). The extra exercise is something i must do. I enjoy it but somehow have not concentrated on getting this right.

Anyhow, have rambled enough, have a lovely day everyone x
    I have changed my work-life balance to a life-work balance.
    • VJsmum
    • By VJsmum 12th May 18, 8:44 AM
    • 5,324 Posts
    • 78,408 Thanks
    VJsmum
    FPK - couldn't you put the remainder in a jar to take to work? I find a big bowlful a lot too but love a jar. A friend said it was very "pinteresty" but I just think they are practical and no plastic. I put grated courgette into my overnight oats.

Flapjacks have a lot of sugar.. Mrs LW has a recipe for a date, nut chocolate log thing that is very yummy, with no added sugar (IIRC). I'll dig it out later..

I lost a further 2lb this week and more inches. My waistline has disappeared. I have upped my fast day calories to 800, given that I am cutting out so much other stuff, and that has made it much easier. The 'whole 30' thing hasn't gone so well, I have ended up reintroducing legumes cos I was struggling when out and about, and have been out and about a lot.

Sitting here in my green face mask and about to go in the bath. OH has taken his mother away for the night and has just left and I get the whole weekend to sort the house and garden, catch up some outstanding work (I have a small part time teaching job that pays for the out and abouts) and watch Eurovision (I just love it, it's so camp ). DS is off to the footie playoffs and DD will be making the most of her last two days off before going back to work on Monday.

My gadding round the country doing interviews has pretty well finished and I have loved it, but am relieved to get back to a bit of normality.

Have a lovely day all.
    You're out with a friend in the capital, I'm a thousand leagues under the sea
    You're hovering worriedly over your eggs, And I'm pondering trees
    I'm wandering long, And I'm pondering trees
    For you and me
    Guy Garvey
    • Floss
    • By Floss 12th May 18, 9:16 AM
    • 4,901 Posts
    • 45,558 Thanks
    Floss
    FPK I make mine in small t*pperware type boxes frm H0me B@rgains - 40g oats, 1/2 punnet rasps & yogurt - and as I don't eat before leaving the house I have mine at work around 9.30. Often don't bother with lunch...
    • Softstuff
    • By Softstuff 12th May 18, 9:47 AM
    • 3,045 Posts
    • 35,256 Thanks
    Softstuff
    FPK, not sure if it helps but some of our usual breakfasts include:

Tinned kippers, with boiled egg, wilted spinach and mushrooms
    Bacon, eggs, mushrooms and spinach (could swap the bacon out for turkey bacon)
    Scrambled eggs with spinach, spring onions, ham
    Chia and flaxseed pudding https://www.marksdailyapple.com/chia-flax-hot-pudding/#axzz4HdolDAvB
    Turkish brekkie - olives, feta, egg, tomato, cucumber, sliced meat
    Chicken sausage, egg, spinach and mushrooms

We tend to eat a fair deal of eggs, which have been found to have almost no effect on blood cholesterol https://www.heartfoundation.org.au/healthy-eating/food-and-nutrition/protein-foods/eggs I've found since switching to a decent brekkie, I'm less hungry overall.
    • nursemaggie
    • By nursemaggie 12th May 18, 10:14 AM
    • 2,395 Posts
    • 31,900 Thanks
    nursemaggie
    We're all a bit serious this morning I thought we needed a laugh.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cFWdjkN62zc
    • Softstuff
    • By Softstuff 12th May 18, 10:33 AM
    • 3,045 Posts
    • 35,256 Thanks
    Softstuff
    We're all a bit serious this morning I thought we needed a laugh.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cFWdjkN62zc
    Originally posted by nursemaggie
    That is great
    • FairyPrincessk
    • By FairyPrincessk 12th May 18, 12:34 PM
    • 2,384 Posts
    • 25,957 Thanks
    FairyPrincessk
    Nursemaggie

What excellent ideas. Eating breakfast in stages is definitely fine in summer, it is term time when I struggle so I'm experimenting to have a plan for then. The flapjacks are sweetened with fruit (similar to Mrs LW's chocolate date concoction, which I vaguely remember!) so while high in sugar they're not as bad as they could be. I'm not too strict on sugar--I mainly cut it out of all tea and coffee, stopped adding honey to porridge and started being a bit more careful about it. The idea is these would be a portable snack I could scoff between lectures. At the moment I tend to have bought granola bars which are quite high in sugar and fat, so these would be a gentle swap. However, because they don't use syrup/honey etc. they may be crumbly. We'll see.

Excellent breakfast ideas--it is the protein that keeps me full without taking me ages to eat. At the moment I have two eggs scrambled with toast and fruit and the eggs themselves are fine. This morning I used oil instead of butter and measured it for the scrambling and sliced strawberries on my toast instead of slathering it in butter. With fresh chives from the garden on the eggs it was positively luxury. Softstuff your breakfast ideas sound fab. I'll add them to my repository.

We've also been to the greengrocers and picked out some luscious fruit for puddings this week, I can't wait

Right, time to do a bit of gardening.xx
    • MrsLurcherwalker
    • By MrsLurcherwalker 12th May 18, 12:54 PM
    • 12,580 Posts
    • 174,493 Thanks
    MrsLurcherwalker
    The recipe is headed in my cookery folder NAKED BALLS!!!!!

4.8oz pitted dried prunes
    2,9oz raw cashew nuts
    1,7oz seedless raisins or dried cherries.
    0.6oz cocoa powder
    2 teaspoons runny honey

Blitz all together until very finely chopped in a food processor. Either take out dessertspoon sized portions and compress them in your hands, roll into balls and pop on a plate or roll the whole amount into a log shape in some cling film and slice as you want to eat. Chill in the fridge and serve cold. They keep well in a Tupperware type box and are DD1s go to recipe for D of E walks as they are small, portable and very energy giving.
    Last edited by MrsLurcherwalker; 12-05-2018 at 4:54 PM.
    Thumpers mum was right - if you can't find anything nice to say don't say anything at all!
    • ivyleaf
    • By ivyleaf 12th May 18, 3:50 PM
    • 5,822 Posts
    • 63,292 Thanks
    ivyleaf
    Thanks for the video nm

Lyn
    those sound very nice despite the name
    • mardatha
    • By mardatha 12th May 18, 4:00 PM
    • 15,199 Posts
    • 147,333 Thanks
    mardatha
    My breakfast now is bacon, black pudding and mushrooms. It's terrific for blood sugar and low carb. Supper is scrambled egg on one slice wholemeal Hovis toast, with loads of gorgeous French butter. My weight stays steady despite the steroids I'm on now. I read many years ago that the low-fat diet thing is a myth and that it was found that people who had been low fat for years still died at the same rate and ages - and that depression was far higher in low-fat lifestyles. So I use that as an excuse to eat butter and cream - but no yoghurt or cheese. Bleugh!
    • MrsLurcherwalker
    • By MrsLurcherwalker 12th May 18, 4:25 PM
    • 12,580 Posts
    • 174,493 Thanks
    MrsLurcherwalker
    Oh I am cross! one of the prospective buyers who viewed the house while we were away ripped up the fitted carpet all the way along one of the bedroom doors, presumably to see what the floor was??? they could just have asked! and today on the local facebook page someone asked for a house and bungalow available in the village within viewing distance of each other and my lovely neighbour posted about ours and a bungalow available across the road whereupon the same person posted that the house was 'under offer'??? not so, we are considering offers but we are still on the market. How rude, this person is unknown to us how could she possibly know???
    Thumpers mum was right - if you can't find anything nice to say don't say anything at all!
    • FairyPrincessk
    • By FairyPrincessk 12th May 18, 5:04 PM
    • 2,384 Posts
    • 25,957 Thanks
    FairyPrincessk
    Mrs LW I'm cross on your behalf. I'd complain to the estate agent who showed them around about the carpet. The naked balls sound really nice, but we may need a new name for them. I shudder to think how excited Hester will get...

The flapjacks turned out ok--they need more cinnamon, maybe nutmeg or something like that but they're edible as they are and once cool I think they'll be fine to wrap up, take to work and eat walking between classes.

I've just given the lemon tree its first feed, which comes in a very clever bottle that measures the food itself. There is a large chamber and then a smaller one with two safety caps. When the safety cap is loose on the smaller one but tight on the larger, you can squeeze the bottle, the smaller chamber measures the perfect amount which is then mixed into the water. It is the little things that please me, obviously

I know low carb works for many people--it was one of the few ways dad ever lost weight in his very long battle. I think it is tough to know what to do for the best, particularly when there are competing things to think about.

Right-new recipe tonight, paprika chicken with roasted veggies.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,153Posts Today

8,273Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @Dora_Haf: @MartinSLewis So many people on here saying they're great until you get your PROPER job. What if Your proper job Is ON zero?

• RT @hslt88: @MartinSLewis I?m a trustee for a youth charity. We only have a limited pool of funds for flexible youth workers for holiday sc?

• RT @Dan_i_elle_88: @MartinSLewis Loved working zero hour agency care work. Never out of work and I loved having the flexibility! Only left?

• Follow Martin