Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Knit Witch
    • By Knit Witch 18th Jul 17, 8:29 PM
    • 3,434Posts
    • 31,334Thanks
    Knit Witch
    The Garden Fence - proper Old Style support and chat!
    • 18th Jul 17, 8:29 PM
    The Garden Fence - proper Old Style support and chat! 18th Jul 17 at 8:29 PM
    As threads are going walkabout I thought I would start the next stage of this off - I will try and do the links later!
    V3ry - 389.60
Page 319
    • Hard Up Hester
    • By Hard Up Hester 10th May 18, 2:18 PM
    • 3,645 Posts
    • 45,442 Thanks
    Hard Up Hester
    I'll save your place LW, don't you worry, there will be room for you when you return.

CHS has been dropped at work, my washing is mostly dry and I'm surrounded by hairy legs, men, not dogs. There is a CRT van and 3 work boats on the mooring now. The men are wearing shorts and all I can see of them is hairy legs as they walk to and fro past my boat windows. Probably all they can see of me is my cleavage!
    I'm girding my loins ready to clean out my kitchen cupboards, they are wood and I don't think they are as hygienic as laminate, so they get scrubbed rather than wiped over, I think I'll have a drink and read another chapter of my book before I start on the cupboards.
    Chin up, Titus out.
    • silvasava
    • By silvasava 10th May 18, 4:14 PM
    • 3,698 Posts
    • 59,368 Thanks
    silvasava
    Dont stress LW - we will keep your place and I'll keep an eye on your bee. Just have a lovely holiday with Mr LW.
    Like your thought for today Monna - this is the third day of sanding, masking and painting the decks of the boat - just the starboard side to do tomorrow. She's looking very trim (and very blue!!) AND - fab news - the swans that nested this year on the little island in our pond have hatched 6 chicks. I stood and watched them earlier - they are SO cute. One was having a stretch and flapping his tiny wings& then fell over - think they're about 3 days old. I feel the urge to name them all,obviously Huey Duey and Louey come to mind but not sure about the other three.
    MaryB - DH will start to mend much more quickly now he's home. I've always been of the opinion that a hospital is no place to be ill.
    I had my appointment yesterday with the cardiac consultant. We've compromised I'm no longer taking the BB's as they are interfering with my breathing but I'll continue with the blood thinner. He wants me to wear a monitor for a while - sigh - but there's worse things so I'll just get on with it when they sort one out for me.
    NM - whats the betting you'll be round at DS flat waiting for deliveries for him when he's at work? At least it'll be quiet!
    Hugs to all poorlies and keep on pottering Monna
    Small victories - sometimes they are all you can hope for but sometimes they are all you need - be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle
    • monnagran
    • By monnagran 10th May 18, 4:48 PM
    • 3,689 Posts
    • 48,796 Thanks
    monnagran
    LW, you will enjoy it when you get there, but I know what you mean. I always find myself wondering what on earth was I thinking of, on the day before I was due to go on holiday. Don't make friends with too many dogs while you are away. I picture you like some sort of Pied Piper, trundling along in your buggy with a train of excited furry ones rollicking along behind.

NM, I do hope the the first nine people in the queue before you for the flat have had better offers already, leaving the field clear for you.

Silvasava, I've been scratching around for suitable names for your cygnets, but can only come up with Flopsy, Mopsy and Cottontail, which doesn't seem very appropriate.

All I've done today is prep the fruit for marmalade that I am now going to make, so not an entirely wasted day, even if I did go to sleep every time I sat down.
    I believe that friends are quiet angels
    Who lift us to our feet when our wings
    Have trouble remembering how to fly.
    • ivyleaf
    • By ivyleaf 10th May 18, 5:52 PM
    • 5,440 Posts
    • 58,159 Thanks
    ivyleaf
    LW I hope you enjoy your holiday and that the travelling will be less stressful than usual. We'll all take care of your bit of the fence and your bee

monnagran i'm not surprised you kept falling asleep! I hope you'll manage to have some downtime when the marmalade's done.

OH had his diabetes review yesterday and hasn't been put onto insulin as I'd feared, but has yet another new tablet to take. This one will apparently make him wee a lot, oh joy, to get rid of more sugar
    • mardatha
    • By mardatha 10th May 18, 5:53 PM
    • 14,827 Posts
    • 141,513 Thanks
    mardatha
    That last bit sounds like me monna, that's the sum total of my usefulness today lol
    • maryb
    • By maryb 10th May 18, 6:01 PM
    • 3,720 Posts
    • 45,676 Thanks
    maryb
    Thanks Silvasava. I swear he's much better than yesterday already. He's eating much better and he can get up and down stairs no problem. They said to start getting exercise and he has been for three strolls of five minutes each today. And he's only had one lot of paracetamol today, no codeine - though he may have one tonight to help him sleep as he found it hard to get comfortable.

We've rebooked the ferry to go to our boat mid August at the three month mark. I was dreading trying to deal with the marina as my French is good enough for the basics but not explaining this. However they have a new recruit who speaks good English so it's all sorted and the boat is staying on shore until mid August. After the end of May they won't charge us for that because, of course, they get the use of our berth in high season for visitors while we are out of the water. As the boat will only be in the water for a relatively short time this year we won't need to do too much prep, just antifouling probably
    It doesn't matter if you are a glass half full or half empty sort of person. Keep it topped up! Cheers!
    • Floss
    • By Floss 10th May 18, 6:31 PM
    • 4,518 Posts
    • 40,400 Thanks
    Floss
    Silvasava the others can be Donald, Daffy & Duckula of course!!
    • nursemaggie
    • By nursemaggie 10th May 18, 6:36 PM
    • 2,188 Posts
    • 28,856 Thanks
    nursemaggie
    Have you got hay fever monna mine is back and it makes me sleepy? You have had quite a busy week this week.

I don't think so silva he usually arranges to pick things up and the nearest collection point is only a few hundred yards away. As he is getting furniture today he needs to stay in.
    • monnagran
    • By monnagran 10th May 18, 7:18 PM
    • 3,689 Posts
    • 48,796 Thanks
    monnagran
    No, nm, I suffered horribly from hay fever when growing up and only ever met one other person who had it. I grew out of it, thankfully. It's horrible.

Well 6 pots of marmalade made. The recipe said to leave the pips in because they would all float to the top and could be scooped off when the boiling was finished. They lied. No pips floated to the top and were indistinguishable from the fruit so they are still in there somewhere. It also burned on the bottom of the pan so the black bits that aren't pips are burnt bits. The wretched stuff wouldn't set either. I kept giving it another 5 minutes until it set.......like granite. I will be having toast with chips of marmalade, some orangey and some blackish, scattered over it. I think I will be eating this for about a year, I certainly can't offer it to anyone else. Neither will I waste it. Ah well, no one promised me a perfect life.
    I believe that friends are quiet angels
    Who lift us to our feet when our wings
    Have trouble remembering how to fly.
    • Floss
    • By Floss 10th May 18, 7:25 PM
    • 4,518 Posts
    • 40,400 Thanks
    Floss
    Monna To any guests: "one slice of marmalade or two?"
    • Islandmaid
    • By Islandmaid 10th May 18, 7:28 PM
    • 2,563 Posts
    • 37,747 Thanks
    Islandmaid
    Monna Pop your Marmalade on line and sell it as 'rustic, caramelised Marmalade' and you will have to make more to keep up with demand

Glad to hear that Hubbies are recovering, Sons are settling in, Nurses are on waiting lists etc x

Cygnets- hoi sin, a l'orange, Crispy

We used to have hens called Korma, KFC, chips and nugget

Edit: thanks for the nudge Silva x Forgot to wish our Lamewolf and MrLW a fab break x
    Last edited by Islandmaid; 10-05-2018 at 7:49 PM.
    Note to self - STOP SPENDING MONEY !!
    • silver-oldie
    • By silver-oldie 10th May 18, 7:43 PM
    • 404 Posts
    • 5,565 Thanks
    silver-oldie
    Have a nice holiday Lame Wolf
    If you walk at night no-one will see you cry.
    • MMF007
    • By MMF007 10th May 18, 7:53 PM
    • 1,235 Posts
    • 27,770 Thanks
    MMF007
    Today my cleaning at a client's home was accompanied by her friend playing the violin The lady is a very talented musician and it was a real treat.
    We had a laugh about my enthusiastic niece who, aged 5, declared that, "People say playing the violin is hard, but it's not, it's easy." !!!

Inspired by Softstuff, I made a renewed effort at weight loss and shifted 1.5lbs this week . Still lots to go but baby steps!

Have a lovely holiday LW x

Thinking of Karcher. Do let us know how things are, Sweetie x
    I have changed my work-life balance to a life-work balance.
    • pandamonium
    • By pandamonium 10th May 18, 9:14 PM
    • 125 Posts
    • 1,290 Thanks
    pandamonium
    Have a great holiday LW. It'll be fine when you get there.

Sending get well vibes to all the poorlies.

Panda x
    • Softstuff
    • By Softstuff 10th May 18, 9:58 PM
    • 2,868 Posts
    • 32,159 Thanks
    Softstuff
    Inspired by Softstuff, I made a renewed effort at weight loss and shifted 1.5lbs this week . Still lots to go but baby steps!
    x
    Originally posted by MMF007
    That's great going! And very sweet to mention me

I view my own weight loss a bit like the old "how do you eat an elephant?", if you have to eat it in small bites it makes sense that you'd remove the associated weight gain in small bits too No new weightloss to report for me, it's that special time of the month. Though I can report that once again I resisted the 2 scroll urge this month (once a month there must be some sort of hormonal shift, I had an incredible urge for coffee raisin scrolls, ate 2 then got a migraine and went to bed, haven't had the scrolls since the diet started and the headache is milder).

Have a lovely holiday Lamewolf, we'll be waiting for you right here.

Monna, I'd suggest marketing it as "sliceable marmalade". You might think that's silly, but they're selling squeezable cheese, so....

MaryB, lovely to hear your hubby is on the mend. Glad you're planning to get away too.

Nursemaggie, I too hope the other 9 are otherwise accommodated, it's always possible that they're not really interested in that property I suppose.

I've been very busy, or "flat out" as they say over here. Just trying to make the most of having had a week off work and make some movement in house things. I think I've had some progress too. Onwards and...er.. onwards
    Softstuff- Officially better than 007
    • mardatha
    • By mardatha 10th May 18, 10:06 PM
    • 14,827 Posts
    • 141,513 Thanks
    mardatha
    I think it's a bit below the belt to mention that poxy elephant. I was promised that nobody would mention that again!! Just because I et somebody's measely rotten elephant by mistake
    • pollyanna 26
    • By pollyanna 26 10th May 18, 10:25 PM
    • 2,128 Posts
    • 19,536 Thanks
    pollyanna 26
    I think it's a bit below the belt to mention that poxy elephant. I was promised that nobody would mention that again!! Just because I et somebody's measely rotten elephant by mistake
    Originally posted by mardatha
    Ooh mar you've just slipped up there ! I was having a quick read in an attempt to keep up and look what I spotted

If I don't get online tomorrow ( dd has two seperate appointments and we need to catch up on the dreaded shopping and other things ) I hope to be back at the weekend to make another attempt to keep up .

Wishing all the poorlies continuing improvement , good luck to NM and all hoping for better days to come . As always thinking of burtha ', Karcher and all facing life's tough times . To everyone else wishing you sunshine and a good day tomorrow .

Much love

polly x
    • silvasava
    • By silvasava 10th May 18, 10:28 PM
    • 3,698 Posts
    • 59,368 Thanks
    silvasava
    And pray what did you mistake the elephant for Mardatha? It was too big to be a jelly baby!
    Small victories - sometimes they are all you can hope for but sometimes they are all you need - be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle
    • Hard Up Hester
    • By Hard Up Hester 10th May 18, 10:44 PM
    • 3,645 Posts
    • 45,442 Thanks
    Hard Up Hester
    I'm sat here chuckling at Monna's sliceable marmalade and Mar and the elephant, I never know what I'm going to find when I read this thread.
    Chin up, Titus out.
    • greenbee
    • By greenbee 10th May 18, 10:46 PM
    • 12,599 Posts
    • 219,894 Thanks
    greenbee
    Maybe Monna should send Mar some marmalade as an elephant/jelly baby substitute?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

537Posts Today

5,487Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin