Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Knit Witch
    • By Knit Witch 18th Jul 17, 8:29 PM
    • 3,577Posts
    • 32,728Thanks
    Knit Witch
    The Garden Fence - proper Old Style support and chat!
    • 18th Jul 17, 8:29 PM
    The Garden Fence - proper Old Style support and chat! 18th Jul 17 at 8:29 PM
    As threads are going walkabout I thought I would start the next stage of this off - I will try and do the links later!
    V3ry - 389.60
Page 318
    • FairyPrincessk
    • By FairyPrincessk 9th May 18, 3:34 PM
    • 2,384 Posts
    • 25,957 Thanks
    FairyPrincessk
    Exciting times for Nursemaggie! I'm glad your son isn't very far but that he'll have a better situation. I hope your new application gets a bit further now.

I managed to have the test today without fainting. I spent about half an hour lying down afterwards with my feet in the air and have been in bed at home since. I just feel a bit wobbly and go a bit funny everytime I think of it. Tomorrow is a very long day at work though so I'd better be recovered by then. The distraction will help. Now just to get the results.

Maryb, I'm so pleased your husband is progressing and while I'm sure he is anxious to come home probably best you found out he can't be left for so long and can make arrangements.

Monna, I hope Millie behaved herself. I can imagine it took heroic strength on her part.

Karcher--big hugs.
    • thriftmonster
    • By thriftmonster 9th May 18, 3:43 PM
    • 1,631 Posts
    • 7,822 Thanks
    thriftmonster
    I have finally caught up on all the posts.

So firstly: Speedy recovery to Mr Maryb and candle lit for Mr Nargle's results. Floss - so glad you are ok after your steering packed up. And fingers crossed for those hoping to move - NurseMaggie and Mrs L and Monna (and Kittie I think??)

The family home here has gone on the market - I ended up having to take a day's holiday from work to throw everything in cupboards and "stage" it - but it was worth it. Nsdh did Bu**er all towards it as usual.

Ds1 has also been in hospital - he has funny dos with his heart which they are trying to sort out. However he phoned from A&E 10 days ago to say he was ok but he will definitely have to have a pacemaker fitted which they were trying to avoid. He's only 22 but I'd far rather they got it sorted finally.

And (trumpet fanfares....) I completed on the new house today and got the keys - and move on Friday. The local removals firm are doing the furniture and then I shall do the rest with a friend whilst we work out what will fit.

Meanwhile nsdh is looking more and more miserable (and I think he's shrinking - is that possible?). Still that's his problem......

Have to make some buns for work in a minute - butterfly ones with jam and whipped cream by request.

Hugs to anyone that also needs one and I hope Burtha is doing ok.
    the princess jumped from the tower & she learned that she could fly all along. she never needed those wings.
    Amanda Lovelace, The Princess Saves Herself in this One
    • MMF007
    • By MMF007 9th May 18, 4:45 PM
    • 1,328 Posts
    • 29,554 Thanks
    MMF007
    Well my working day started off with light duties. I got to drink coffee while helping my client to Internet shop! Then I had 2 hours cleaning to do, accompanied another client round Morries then another hour 'n' a half cleaning. Oh, and i mended someone's hosepipe.

A busy but productive day.

Well done FPK! Now stop thinking about it, have something yummy for tea and prepare for tomorrow! (My stern words I use on myself, usually works for me!)
    Last edited by MMF007; 09-05-2018 at 4:48 PM.
    I have changed my work-life balance to a life-work balance.
    • Floss
    • By Floss 9th May 18, 5:34 PM
    • 4,901 Posts
    • 45,558 Thanks
    Floss
    Thriftmonster diminished maybe by your moving on both literally & physically?
    • thriftmonster
    • By thriftmonster 9th May 18, 5:52 PM
    • 1,631 Posts
    • 7,822 Thanks
    thriftmonster
    I did wonder that, Floss. Wasn't there a poem or children's story about that?

Someone said to me yesterday that if the elastic in my big girl knickers starts to go, they're there to hold them up for me... Very much appreciated.
    the princess jumped from the tower & she learned that she could fly all along. she never needed those wings.
    Amanda Lovelace, The Princess Saves Herself in this One
    • maryb
    • By maryb 9th May 18, 6:11 PM
    • 3,890 Posts
    • 48,269 Thanks
    maryb
    We are home and now he can relax in his own bed. Well maybe not relax but you get my drift.

Nargleblast I will be thinking of you when you go to get the results and I hope your path will be clearer and easier after that.

Nursemaggie you have been through so much recently, I really hope you get this flat and can get settled in . And so close to DS

Thank you all again for your support which meant so much when I was coming home late from the hospital each day and feeling so drained. I feel I have monopolised things a bit the last few days and I'm sorry for that.
    It doesn't matter if you are a glass half full or half empty sort of person. Keep it topped up! Cheers!
    • mardatha
    • By mardatha 9th May 18, 6:38 PM
    • 15,199 Posts
    • 147,336 Thanks
    mardatha
    He'll start to get better now mary, you can't get better in hospital.
    Weather doing my head in here, you get a couple of great days and then the normal garbage comes back. Why can't we have a clear month of sun? Just once!! The last good summer we had up here was 1985!!
    • FairyPrincessk
    • By FairyPrincessk 9th May 18, 6:51 PM
    • 2,384 Posts
    • 25,957 Thanks
    FairyPrincessk
    Mar, I remember a good friend of mine once rocking with laughter when I was very indignantly ranting about the lack of summer. I was onto the "and another thing stage" and said "and that week where it got up to 85 doesn't count. They called it a heatwave! A heatwave at 85!"

MMF--will do.

MaryB-look after yourselves. The recovery will likely be hard on you too. Take your DD up on any offers to sit with him and try to get some fresh air where you can.

Thriftmonster-sounds like a true friend.
    • nursemaggie
    • By nursemaggie 9th May 18, 7:19 PM
    • 2,395 Posts
    • 31,900 Thanks
    nursemaggie
    I agree you can't get better in hospital.In my day nurses used to wake people up to give them sleeping tablets. I never did.I still think it is stupid.

Modern nursed charge around making as much noise as they can. No wonder you can't sleep. One of my first lessons as a student nurse was an afternoon spent learning to walk silently.

I went over to the doctors with my order form my repeat prescription. It was raining. I met a woman coming out, who said summers over!

We have had three day this year the last two we only had One.

Thriftmonster do you think he is regretting? Do you care any more?
    • nursemaggie
    • By nursemaggie 9th May 18, 7:20 PM
    • 2,395 Posts
    • 31,900 Thanks
    nursemaggie
    Will keep the poorlies in my prayers
    • camelot1001
    • By camelot1001 9th May 18, 7:24 PM
    • 4,020 Posts
    • 49,101 Thanks
    camelot1001
    So glad your DH is home maryb, I'm sure he will recover much quicker now. Make sure you look after yourself too.

Good Luck to your DS nursemaggie, exciting times.
    • maryb
    • By maryb 9th May 18, 8:10 PM
    • 3,890 Posts
    • 48,269 Thanks
    maryb
    Nursemaggie, you're right it was very noisy. A lot of the nurses shouted to each other down the length of the ward, but then they were very busy and it would have taken a lot longer if they had had to walk up to each other every time they needed to confirm something.

They didn't lower their voices when they were talking to the patients either. You could see each new patient's look of shock as they were asked questions about bowel movements at full volume. Everyone went through the same thing of realising that they just had to abandon their dignity and everyone was in the same boat so they were all eventually quite amused by how surreal it was
    It doesn't matter if you are a glass half full or half empty sort of person. Keep it topped up! Cheers!
    • monnagran
    • By monnagran 9th May 18, 10:25 PM
    • 3,965 Posts
    • 53,731 Thanks
    monnagran
    Wow thriftmonster, you won't know yourself come Friday. Just think. The rest of your life is yours to live in your own way. You will love it.

FairyP, let's hope the worst bit is over. The waiting for results will feel endless, it always does. Be very kind to yourself and factor in lots of treats. We will all keep you going.

maryb, so glad that the lad is back home. Can I repeat all the advice that you have had. If you can get someone else to sit with your DH for a while now and again you must get out of the house. Even if you just go for a walk or meet a friend for coffee it will keep you sane. Don't forget that you have been through an ordeal too.

Oh nursemaggie, I did have to laugh when I heard that your DS had left stuff behind. I'm sure that he will collect it all in time but he may have to be encouraged. I still have lots of my family's stuff here and they have been gone nearly a year now. There is going to be a full scale panic when I finally get a date for moving. WHEN! For one thing there is a fishing boat in the drive and a double garage packed to the gunnels with the most amazing rubbish - none of which is mine. Then there are the garden swings, slides, fairy castles, and various bits of furniture, with or without contents.
    DS2 keeps moving bits and pieces but I know they are pushed for space. Still, I have problems of my own and can't take on theirs.

Lunch club a great success and the lemon meringue pies went down a storm. I was exhausted when I got home and have done nothing since.

Thank goodness I have nothing much on for the next couple of days..
    I believe that friends are quiet angels
    Who lift us to our feet when our wings
    Have trouble remembering how to fly.
    • silver-oldie
    • By silver-oldie 10th May 18, 7:41 AM
    • 517 Posts
    • 7,347 Thanks
    silver-oldie
    maryb, glad your DH is home, as others have said, if you get a chance of even a few minutes for yourself, take them and relax.

nursemaggie, maybe your son left a few things on purpose so he can come back, maybe at dinner time

Need to do some jobs in the garden but it has been too hot, and I don't want to rush things, well that's my excuse.
    If you walk at night no-one will see you cry.
    • ivyleaf
    • By ivyleaf 10th May 18, 9:40 AM
    • 5,823 Posts
    • 63,301 Thanks
    ivyleaf
    Glad he's home maryb He'll be able to rest much better now, but as others have said, look after yourself as well.

thriftmonster Sorry to hear about your son but at least it sounds as if the pacemaker will help him. Good luck with the move

Thinking of you nursemaggie - hopefully it'll be your turn soon x

fuddle Are you ok, honeybunch? I hope you had a nice weekend away and that your chest behaved itself x

When I was a patient in the maternity ward in 1975 we had an agency nurse who turned up for night shifts in those Scholl clogs with the wooden soles. She seemed surprised that the other staff "tutted" at her!

In hospital in 2011, everyone in the "gynae bay" had got nicely off to sleep after our surgery when a nurse came in to do our "obs", with one of those machines that bleeps loudly. No more sleep for me for the rest of the night.
    • VJsmum
    • By VJsmum 10th May 18, 11:23 AM
    • 5,324 Posts
    • 78,410 Thanks
    VJsmum
    Polly try Cartmel sticky toffee pud...we think its the best
    Originally posted by Floss
    We really like the Sharrow Bay hotel one.

Hi all - I come to you from a mini conference that i don't want to be at waiting to deliver a presentation I don't want to do. University reorgs means that I am now 'in between' two departments and have nothing in common with the presentations here - they are really of little or no use or interest. I think i will use the time catching up with my marking.

NM - fingers crossed it will be your turn soon and I hope your son is happy in his new home.
    Thrift - best wishes in yours too.

this is the last day of my really mad, rushing round the country, days and I am looking forward to some time at home for a few days, and only going somewhere if i want to. OH is taking his mum away for the weekend, but I have opted not to join them but to bring the house back up to standard after a period of neglect - only a few weeks, but when others are in the house and me not so much things seem to go to pot..

Oh good a presentation has started about mergers and acquisitions in banking... Time for some marking
    You're out with a friend in the capital, I'm a thousand leagues under the sea
    You're hovering worriedly over your eggs, And I'm pondering trees
    I'm wandering long, And I'm pondering trees
    For you and me
    Guy Garvey
    • monnagran
    • By monnagran 10th May 18, 11:26 AM
    • 3,965 Posts
    • 53,731 Thanks
    monnagran
    Late start for me. Internet playing up, or may be tablet was sulking about something. Anyway, thanks to my great digital expertise, (turn it off, count to 30, turn it back on again)it now seems to be working again. That was a funny one, tablet obviously didnt like the criticism and substituted the word 'toilet' instead.

Chillier this morning but I'm having an easy day after the mayhem of the past few days. I may make some more marmalade later as the supply I made after Chistmas seems to be exhausted. I'm trying a new 3 fruit recipe.

So today will potter, potter, coffee, potter, potter, lunch, potter, potter, tea, potter........get the picture?

THOUGHT FOR TODAY

It doesnt matter how slowly you go as long as you don't stop.
    I believe that friends are quiet angels
    Who lift us to our feet when our wings
    Have trouble remembering how to fly.
    • nursemaggie
    • By nursemaggie 10th May 18, 12:56 PM
    • 2,395 Posts
    • 31,900 Thanks
    nursemaggie
    I have been shortlisted 10th on the flat I bid on a few days ago. That's an improvement. Will take them a few months to actually find out if others want it first.

Someone has actually moved out because of the herd of elephants upstairs. The flat that is connected to their living room have moved out. I was talking to the woman above them yesterday. They have put in lots of complaints. Well they have had it in writing more than once from me.

It is now over 6 weeks since the bins were emptied. This is a punishment of the none refugee tenants of the whole building because of the behavior of the refugees. Does not make sense does it? Directly 8, flats are affected by the noise of the elephants above. All 18 flats by the rubbish problem.

The top floor in this part of the block the refugees are just putting their bags of rubbish on the landing. There is months of smelly rubbish up their. Now I know this is happening. It seems that the refugees are producing 90% of the rubbish of the whole block.

I won't see DS before the weekend. They are decorating the block he is in, They are having new front doors like the ones we have. and they are having new floors on the communal parts of the block.

He also has to stay in today for deliveries of furniture, and a microwave as well. I hope he gets his new front door while he is off work as he can't just take a day off work to be in when they decide to do it.
    • LameWolf
    • By LameWolf 10th May 18, 1:57 PM
    • 10,790 Posts
    • 118,654 Thanks
    LameWolf
    Someone said to me yesterday that if the elastic in my big girl knickers starts to go, they're there to hold them up for me... Very much appreciated.
    Originally posted by thriftmonster
    I've just decided, if the elastic in my Big Girl Knickers goes, I'm just gonna go commando, and have done with.
    I agree you can't get better in hospital.In my day nurses used to wake people up to give them sleeping tablets. I never did.I still think it is stupid.
    Originally posted by nursemaggie
    Yes, they did that when I was in for a mandibular osteotomy, many years ago. Made me so cross!

Folks I'm more stressed than a stressed person today, with the result that brainfog has set in, and I cannot get straight in my mind who has what issues. I've read all the posts, but nothing is sticking, iyswim. Please forgive me....
    Anyways, (((HUGS))) for all who need them; GWS wishes for all with health worries, and new-front-door-key vibes for those wishing to move home.

Off at stupid o'clock tomorrow for our holiday (hence the mega-stress - I hate traveling with a passion, but Mr LW likes to go away once a year) so I shall be absent til 21st May. If someone would look after my little bit of fence, and see that my resident bee is fed and happy, that's be great.
    LameWolf
    If your dog thinks you're the best, don't seek a second opinion.
    • nursemaggie
    • By nursemaggie 10th May 18, 1:59 PM
    • 2,395 Posts
    • 31,900 Thanks
    nursemaggie
    Have a nice holiday Lame Wolf.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,649Posts Today

8,121Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @Dora_Haf: @MartinSLewis So many people on here saying they're great until you get your PROPER job. What if Your proper job Is ON zero?

• RT @hslt88: @MartinSLewis I?m a trustee for a youth charity. We only have a limited pool of funds for flexible youth workers for holiday sc?

• RT @Dan_i_elle_88: @MartinSLewis Loved working zero hour agency care work. Never out of work and I loved having the flexibility! Only left?

• Follow Martin