Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Knit Witch
    • By Knit Witch 18th Jul 17, 8:29 PM
    • 3,577Posts
    • 32,736Thanks
    Knit Witch
    The Garden Fence - proper Old Style support and chat!
    • 18th Jul 17, 8:29 PM
    The Garden Fence - proper Old Style support and chat! 18th Jul 17 at 8:29 PM
    As threads are going walkabout I thought I would start the next stage of this off - I will try and do the links later!
    V3ry - 389.60
Page 317
    • silver-oldie
    • By silver-oldie 8th May 18, 3:52 PM
    • 524 Posts
    • 7,460 Thanks
    silver-oldie
    We will be having words soon, there are things I can do competently with the boat but he is always convinced he knows best and will insist on redoing everything I've done.
    He will only get worse as he gets older so I need to nip it in the bud before I brain him. On Saturday he insisted on showing me how I should be hanging the washing out. How I didn't wrap the line round his neck I will never know.
    Originally posted by Hard Up Hester
    Years ago my DH told me to shut up. I did for 3 days, not a word. I was starting to enjoy the quiet He apologised and has never told me to be quiet again.
    If you walk at night no-one will see you cry.
    • nursemaggie
    • By nursemaggie 8th May 18, 4:32 PM
    • 2,396 Posts
    • 31,914 Thanks
    nursemaggie
    DS's flat is lovely nice a spacious and two big storage rooms plus a broom cupboard. Those are what is missing here. In spite of being on a busy road and with a pelican crossing right outside it was not noisy.

We got him all the bits and pieces he needed and there are curtains so no more expense than a sofa when one he likes comes into the charity shop. He was not too happy to pay out 89 for his kitchen bits until I told him he would not have got any change from 200 from Amazon. Mops and buckets were around 35 on there.

Nice to see you back polly. I hope you will stay well now.

On Sunday night I redid my application for sheltered Housing. I think I must have missed something off because I was able to put another bid in for a 3rd floor flat. It's more or less at the opposite end of DS's street. If I get that I will only have to change one number on my postcode.
    • pollyanna 26
    • By pollyanna 26 8th May 18, 4:50 PM
    • 2,367 Posts
    • 22,493 Thanks
    pollyanna 26
    NM I'm pleased to read you can put another bid in . I noticed catching up your mention of bring adequately housed . As you , I and everyone else know that is very wrong . I was going to talk about it when the dust had settled following your son's departure . So it seems you will make the move at some point and we'll all be beside you until you get there .
    Get your feet up tonight , you must be exhausted . I don't know if your son has taken holiday leave for a few days . If it already hasn't been discussed please get him to help you move furniture and stuff around once he's moved his things out and you make use of the space in your hopefully not for much longer present home . Take care x
    polly
    • nursemaggie
    • By nursemaggie 8th May 18, 5:59 PM
    • 2,396 Posts
    • 31,914 Thanks
    nursemaggie
    Polly he has been on holiday since the weekend. He is having two weeks off. I have not actually done any packing but sorting stuff and asking "do you want this" and telling where and how to pack stuff I did find exhausting yesterday. He has already promised to come back and clean his room and move a few things round for me.

I have a couple of funny things to say. I went to the bathroom after we got in and there in the shower were three folded, microfiber cloths in the shower, all in a row. I recognised them as three I had given him. I recognised the colours. He thinks they could have been under his towel and they got flung in there when put his towel over the rail round the shower.

I put my washing this morning. First day the woman up stairs had not used it. It started raining when we went to the market. It is nearly as wet now as when I put it out. Of course I have the airer full of washing from yesterday that DS found for me to do. He has found another pile too.

Oh by the way his built in wardrobe is nearly as big as my kitchen. He will never need anywhere for extra clothes.
    • ivyleaf
    • By ivyleaf 8th May 18, 6:40 PM
    • 5,841 Posts
    • 63,467 Thanks
    ivyleaf
    Ooh, good luck with the bid nursemaggie! DS's flat sounds very nice - I hope yours, when you eventually get it, will be equally nice Sorry about your washing getting wet again though, very frustrating.
    • monnagran
    • By monnagran 8th May 18, 6:56 PM
    • 3,971 Posts
    • 53,804 Thanks
    monnagran
    Well nursemaggie, it has actually happened. I expect it feels a bit strange, empty and quiet at first. That will soon pass. Now we all want you to be settled somewhere nice without troublesome neighbours.

Hester, what's with the, "he doesn't want to do it?" You mean you're giving him a choice?

Polly I have missed you. So sorry about your shoulder. Rest, rest and more rest.

Silver-oldie, you are a woman after my own heart. Well done on keeping shtum for 3 days. I really agree with taking irritable (and irritating) men at their word and carrying it out to the nth degree.
    My ex once told me that we would have to tighten our belts and I would have to make economies in my meagre housekeeping budget. This was after he had spent an indecent amount on some antiquarian books for his collection. I did economise. I stopped his newspaper and his monthly magazine and every bit of food that he particularly liked.

I have spent the afternoon making pastry cases for the lemon meringue tomorrow. Why is it that when you are making something at home for family, everything turns out perfectly. When you are doing it for someone else everything that can go wrong does go wrong. A friend came in while I was frantically patching up the pastry cases and gave her opinion that while my food tasted good, I wouldn't win any prizes for presentation.
    It is my misfortune to have incredibly brave and truthful friends. Next time round I am going to ask for cheerful hypocrites who lie in their teeth in order to reinforce my good opinion of myself.
    Anyway, for good or ill they are made and sitting on the kitchen counter cooling.
    Remembering the incident of the massive coffe and walnut cake, I have informed Millie that if she lays one paw on a pastry case she will be in detention for the rest of her life.
    I believe that friends are quiet angels
    Who lift us to our feet when our wings
    Have trouble remembering how to fly.
    • LameWolf
    • By LameWolf 8th May 18, 7:17 PM
    • 10,801 Posts
    • 118,803 Thanks
    LameWolf
    The following week we go back to the hospital to get his biopsy results (Friday 18th), so more finger crossing.
    Originally posted by Nargleblast
    I shall be away then, and am currently up to my ears with packing/last minute holiday stuff, so can I offer Best Wishes and Good Luck now - put them in your pocket til needed.
    We will be having words soon, there are things I can do competently with the boat but he is always convinced he knows best and will insist on redoing everything I've done.
    He will only get worse as he gets older so I need to nip it in the bud before I brain him. On Saturday he insisted on showing me how I should be hanging the washing out. How I didn't wrap the line round his neck I will never know.
    Originally posted by Hard Up Hester
    I'd be wrapping *something* large, heavy and metallic round his ear'oles if that was me!
    Hope everyone has the sun , day four here which is pretty rare .
    I'll leave you all to chat over the fence . I'll be reclining in a garden lounger behind you catching up .
    polly x
    Originally posted by pollyanna 26
    *hands Polly a nice chilled glass of refreshing drink* Don't worry, I'll get my resident bee to tell you all you've missed.

Got an email today asking to extend Dusty Dog's stay for an extra day - so he'll be with me from 25th to 28th. Is it really daft to be excited about having a dog to stay for one extra night??

Urgh, Mr LW wants the pc, so I have to log off now.
    TTFN.
    LameWolf
    If your dog thinks you're the best, don't seek a second opinion.
    • nursemaggie
    • By nursemaggie 8th May 18, 7:19 PM
    • 2,396 Posts
    • 31,914 Thanks
    nursemaggie
    It's a pity Millie does not understand she may have still been thinking about it during the night and not woken you up tonight.

No it has not happened yet. He moves out tomorrow morning. He got the keys today to save him traveling and hour each way tomorrow. He's not moving far, it's less than a mile.

Sorry monna "it is written, man is appointed just once to die and then the Judgement." How many massive coffee and walnut cakes have you stolen?
    • pollyanna 26
    • By pollyanna 26 8th May 18, 7:38 PM
    • 2,367 Posts
    • 22,493 Thanks
    pollyanna 26
    It's good to be back monna . Rest,rest and more rest doesn't seem to be on the agenda for a while . Dds appointments are coming thick and fast and considering the years waiting we appreciate each and every one . The two in certain days are challenging but we'll manage

I can identify with things going a bit wrong when for others . I've stayed up many nights in the past remaking things that never failed before . When it came to making outfits for Nativity plays etc the very reliable sewing machine would seize up and I'd have to sort it and lose another night of sleep .
    I don't think cheerful hypocrites would last long in your world . Better brutal truth however misplaced at least you know they are honest if sometimes rather too honest .

Your mention of Sticky Toffee Pudding has had me remembering John Tovey at the Miller Howe at Windermere . I still haven't eaten any as good and lord knows I've tried ! Someone has to try for the sake of others .

Meanwhile if IRC your team is " The Saints " They'll be stepping onto the field shortly . While our Sparky does his best to keep them in the Premier League can you have a word on behalf of Our Gaffer at Man U ? Love him or not he is one of the greats . He has had his own candle here since Saturday alongside the usual one . He's in Fergie time still so there is hope . My hope is he will survive and have the memory of the Glory Days intact .
    polly x
    • Floss
    • By Floss 8th May 18, 7:52 PM
    • 4,901 Posts
    • 45,560 Thanks
    Floss
    Polly try Cartmel sticky toffee pud...we think its the best
    • pollyanna 26
    • By pollyanna 26 8th May 18, 7:52 PM
    • 2,367 Posts
    • 22,493 Thanks
    pollyanna 26
    Wolfy I love bees and my garden is planted for them . I don't mind them coming indoors for a change of scene . Yours obviously wants to " bee " with you knowing you as a lover of all creatures great and small . Very good news you'll have Dusty for an extra day . Good luck with the packing and if should disappear again wishing you a lovely holiday . I hope to catch up on the other thread tomorrow .
    Very confused at the moment . I'd have been fine if I hadn't lost that long post earlier .
    About to take a break to see if the always foggy brain clears .
    polly x
    • pollyanna 26
    • By pollyanna 26 8th May 18, 8:04 PM
    • 2,367 Posts
    • 22,493 Thanks
    pollyanna 26
    I have tried it Floss , it's very good but not quite as good as JTs . Maybe it's those Blue Remembered Days again . Visits to MH were always sunny which you know aren't always the case .
    I hope you're ok after the lucky escape . Did you watch the Unscripted Car Share Episode last night ? Not the best but there were some laugh aloud moments .I have everyone around me warned not to tell me about the final episode including DD2 who knows . She's kept quiet so far since Blackpool and it's probably the first time ever . I must have scared her
    polly
    • Floss
    • By Floss 8th May 18, 8:56 PM
    • 4,901 Posts
    • 45,560 Thanks
    Floss
    No we've not watched last night's Car Share yet...do you know when the last one is being shown?
    • pollyanna 26
    • By pollyanna 26 8th May 18, 9:45 PM
    • 2,367 Posts
    • 22,493 Thanks
    pollyanna 26
    As yesterday was a bank holiday I'm wondering if it will be shown at the end of May . They may hold it back even longer . Will let you know if I hear anything .

Writing the above has made me realise today is Tuesday not Monday , I wondered why the milkman hadn't delivered today . He delivered as normal yesterday but doesn't deliver Tuesday so now know why . Sometimes I worry about me

Early night for me I think . The brain seems to have gone AWOL .

Good to see both burtha and Karcher . Bits of the missing post are coming back to me now .Meanwhile wishing all a restful night where possible . I shall leave you all in peace . If you dare even look at monna's pies Millie I will track you down !

polly x
    • Softstuff
    • By Softstuff 8th May 18, 11:14 PM
    • 3,045 Posts
    • 35,256 Thanks
    Softstuff
    Very tired and very busy (in one day the other day my fitbit gave me 4 new badges, that's probably a sign I was too active!).

Monna, I didn't know pastry cases were ever supposed to look good.... I mean, they're not decorative, they're delicious That said, I'd rather have an honest insult than a fake compliment any day.

Nursemaggie, my fingers haven't uncrossed for you and a new flat, so I'll keep them where they are. Hope your DS manages life alone, I'm sure he'll be back for cleaning tips very soon!

Sorry for everything I missed, trying here to finish the main bedroom, clean out the house and do a mountain of laundry at the same time!
    Softstuff- Officially better than 007
    • Charis
    • By Charis 8th May 18, 11:25 PM
    • 1,289 Posts
    • 13,602 Thanks
    Charis

Well, I have an action packed day today helping to provide "light lunches and cream teas" for the church's May Day event. I was making a sticky toffee pudding at 6.30 this morning. Quite how that relates to "light lunches" I'm not sure.

Enjoy this lovely day everyone.

THOUGHT FOR TODAY

Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.
    Originally posted by monnagran
    Monna, have you ever thought of opening a business selling Sticky Toffee Pudding fortune cookies? Your thought for the day would be apt for the first batch.
    • monnagran
    • By monnagran 9th May 18, 7:26 AM
    • 3,971 Posts
    • 53,804 Thanks
    monnagran
    Really quick post from me as I have to leavevthe building soon and still have a shirt to iron.

Polly, didn't the Saints do well ! Would have thrilled my Dad. Being Southampton born and bred (as was Mum) he was a staunch supporter for 97 years. And a good school friend of mine, who was what my Nan would have called 'a giddy kipper', grew up to be pillar of society, Mayor of Southampton and eventually High Sheriff, never missed a match. Last time we met up we had to eat our lunch in a hurry because Southampton were playing at home. She has a permanent ticket.

Softstuff. Give me a compliment, fake or not, every time. Never mind the truth, if it's not complimentary I don't wish to hear it.

Charis, brilliant idea but no thank you. Too much work.

THOUGHT FOR TODAY.

Being an adult is like folding a fitted sheet. No one is sure how to do it.
    I believe that friends are quiet angels
    Who lift us to our feet when our wings
    Have trouble remembering how to fly.
    • nursemaggie
    • By nursemaggie 9th May 18, 9:05 AM
    • 2,396 Posts
    • 31,914 Thanks
    nursemaggie
    Got one very grumpy DS this morning running around still packing. I am getting boxed in. There was a small removal van outside when I got up had him in a panic as they are not due until 9.30.

I think I will be glad when he has gone. There is something worse than moving that's having someone move out when your not going. I am worrying some of my things will disappear.
    • ivyleaf
    • By ivyleaf 9th May 18, 2:09 PM
    • 5,841 Posts
    • 63,467 Thanks
    ivyleaf
    If that does happen nursemaggie, at least DS will be near enough to bring them back
    • nursemaggie
    • By nursemaggie 9th May 18, 2:27 PM
    • 2,396 Posts
    • 31,914 Thanks
    nursemaggie
    ivyleaf They were gone in less than an hour. Nothing of mine has gone but a lot of his has been left behind. He has already called me because he has lost something. He was going to get some dinner and then come back. I don't think it is here, but I know what box it went in.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

160Posts Today

1,265Users online

Martin's Twitter