Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Knit Witch
    • By Knit Witch 18th Jul 17, 8:29 PM
    • 3,577Posts
    • 32,736Thanks
    Knit Witch
    The Garden Fence - proper Old Style support and chat!
    • 18th Jul 17, 8:29 PM
    The Garden Fence - proper Old Style support and chat! 18th Jul 17 at 8:29 PM
    As threads are going walkabout I thought I would start the next stage of this off - I will try and do the links later!
    V3ry - 389.60
Page 288
    • Hard Up Hester
    • By Hard Up Hester 17th Apr 18, 8:43 AM
    • 3,877 Posts
    • 49,462 Thanks
    Hard Up Hester
    Softstuff, CHS gets rewarded whether he's been heroic or not!

LW, I get annoyed with CHS as I feel he should accept some responsibility for his health, having said that, he is getting better, he used to tell me after he'd run out.

We have a nice mooring and hopefully we will stay here for 2 weeks, the maximum time allowed for where we are.

It seems our batteries need replacing, another hit on our rapidly diminishing savings, the boating joke is that boat stands for Bung On Another Thousand and it seems that way at the moment.
    Chin up, Titus out.
    • silver-oldie
    • By silver-oldie 17th Apr 18, 8:57 AM
    • 524 Posts
    • 7,460 Thanks
    silver-oldie
    Fuddle, I agree everything always looks better when it warms up and the sun shines.
    The potatoes, peas and onions are growing well.
    Only planted the beetroot and carrots a few days ago.
    Tomatoes, leeks, beans and other seeds are doing well, hopefully they can go out in a few weeks. Even got a couple of tiny lemons on the tree, kept inside until it warms up a bit more.
    If you walk at night no-one will see you cry.
    • silvasava
    • By silvasava 17th Apr 18, 9:39 AM
    • 3,904 Posts
    • 62,634 Thanks
    silvasava
    Hester - welcome to the wonderful life on water! If it goes on a boat the price seems to double! I've found acceptable or similar items in caravan shops to be cheaper on occasions.
    Well done to CHS for the doggy rescue - DH did something similar for an elderly overweight dog who didn't make the jump from boat to pontoon and got stuck under the pontoon. His owner was getting a bit hysterical so DH hauled him out - cue a soaked DH who hadn't bothered with a change of clothes - no good deed goes unpunished!
    Small victories - sometimes they are all you can hope for but sometimes they are all you need - be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle
    • monnagran
    • By monnagran 17th Apr 18, 10:41 AM
    • 3,971 Posts
    • 53,804 Thanks
    monnagran
    mmm! Apart from the inevitable ferries I think I will settle for staying on terra firma after hearing Hester's and Silva's stories. I recall that old friends of mine - the ones who named their boat Ridiculous Extravagance - used to refer to chandleries and they like as GUAGs. Give Us A Grand.

Silver-oldie, you are in a difficult place with an awful decision to make. It seems as though your DM is still well able to make her own wishes known, in which case I don't understand why the PTB are coming to you to make the decision. If she is, in fact, confused then I suppose it comes down to weighing up quality of life against quantity. It's a lesson to us all to make these decisions in advance for ourselves, while we are still able to.
    Good luck with the lemon tree, I've never been able to keep one. Due, no doubt, to my slapdash gardening methods.

It was bright sunshine when I got up this morning, but it's a bit overcast now. Still, no rain forecast so may take the scenic route to the shop today. It has been far too muddy and puddley for a long time now.

Nothing urgent planned for today so will do a bit more sorting out and write a long overdue letter.

Hope all is well with everyone.

THOUGHT FOR TODAY

If you want to feel rich just count all the things you have that money can't buy.
    I believe that friends are quiet angels
    Who lift us to our feet when our wings
    Have trouble remembering how to fly.
    • silvasava
    • By silvasava 17th Apr 18, 11:17 AM
    • 3,904 Posts
    • 62,634 Thanks
    silvasava
    Monna - feeling very rich! Just walked down the garden and we've got TWO nests under the eaves of our garden shed! DH put a little shelf across underneath the timbers where the roof extends to form an overhang as its somewhere where any cats cant get to. Think its a blackbird - or maybe she's made two nests so she can decide which she prefers!
    Small victories - sometimes they are all you can hope for but sometimes they are all you need - be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle
    • monnagran
    • By monnagran 17th Apr 18, 11:49 AM
    • 3,971 Posts
    • 53,804 Thanks
    monnagran
    Perhaps it's her weekend cottage. Or the beginning of her portfolio and she will rent it out. Or its a granny annexe for her in-laws. Keep us posted Silvasava.
    • VJsmum
    • By VJsmum 17th Apr 18, 12:04 PM
    • 5,334 Posts
    • 78,539 Thanks
    VJsmum
    Hmm, having worked like a trojan over the past few weeks, I seem to be having an attack of the CBAs today I may admit defeat and clean the house.....
    You're out with a friend in the capital, I'm a thousand leagues under the sea
    You're hovering worriedly over your eggs, And I'm pondering trees
    I'm wandering long, And I'm pondering trees
    For you and me
    Guy Garvey
    • Slinky
    • By Slinky 17th Apr 18, 1:42 PM
    • 5,447 Posts
    • 25,617 Thanks
    Slinky
    Hmm, having worked like a trojan over the past few weeks, I seem to be having an attack of the CBAs today I may admit defeat and clean the house.....
    Originally posted by VJsmum
    Eh? CBA does not equal clean the house!
    • nursemaggie
    • By nursemaggie 17th Apr 18, 1:48 PM
    • 2,396 Posts
    • 31,914 Thanks
    nursemaggie
    That's what I thought too. You just click on YouTube one more time, read another chapter of a book or fall asleep on the sofa.
    • FairyPrincessk
    • By FairyPrincessk 17th Apr 18, 2:15 PM
    • 2,384 Posts
    • 25,957 Thanks
    FairyPrincessk
    Brr...it is chilly here. I can't wait for the sun tomorrow. I might need a cocoa to get me through the rest of the work day. Strictly to help me focus, you see.

VJsmum--having survived a PhD I can commiserate about cleaning the house being an excellent CBA activity. Baking and making just one more hot drink before you get started are also perfectly acceptable.
    • mardatha
    • By mardatha 17th Apr 18, 2:46 PM
    • 15,206 Posts
    • 147,399 Thanks
    mardatha
    Not planted a thing yet up here, even tatties don't go in until mid May.
    Hellish wind today, got blown all over the place on way to the bus stop, then the bus got blown all over the road on the moor, And same again on the way home. Edinburgh was sunny and breezy - home was raining and a howling force 10
    • VJsmum
    • By VJsmum 17th Apr 18, 3:38 PM
    • 5,334 Posts
    • 78,539 Thanks
    VJsmum
    Eh? CBA does not equal clean the house!
    Originally posted by Slinky
    Well, i meant rather than doing any actual thinking anyway, in the end i ploughed on with some reward
    You're out with a friend in the capital, I'm a thousand leagues under the sea
    You're hovering worriedly over your eggs, And I'm pondering trees
    I'm wandering long, And I'm pondering trees
    For you and me
    Guy Garvey
    • camelot1001
    • By camelot1001 17th Apr 18, 7:56 PM
    • 4,025 Posts
    • 49,187 Thanks
    camelot1001
    It's been blowing a gale here too mar, all last night and even worse this afternoon. The rain was battering the windows last night too, felt like it was mid winter again.

I've been at the garden centre this afternoon after work, bought compost and flowers. I've made up the hanging baskets but they can live in the conservatory for a few weeks yet. Planted beans and peas too, hoping for a head start to put them on the allotment next month. It's surprising what I can get up to when it's not raining!

Well done CHS and Mr Silva, love to hear of animals being saved.

Not so sure CBA means housework in my book VJsmum!

Enjoy the sunshine if you get it, think of us up here with none.
    • Softstuff
    • By Softstuff 17th Apr 18, 9:59 PM
    • 3,045 Posts
    • 35,256 Thanks
    Softstuff
    I know that CBA does not mean clean the house here Here it tends to me watch Korean TV on netflix (for some reason I find that soothing) and go out for dinner.

Had a bit of a hissy fit last night, got all upset. My leg had been playing up, my reflux had been off (think it was the miso soup I had at lunch) and I was trying to tie myself up before bed (the thing I tie to my back so I can't roll over) and I'd just had enough. It hurt (I'm a bit sore around the ribs from working out), I was tired and I'm sick of getting things that need managing but can't be fixed no matter how hard I work Anyway, whinge over, have to apologise to hubby today. And back to working on everything.
    Softstuff- Officially better than 007
    • monnagran
    • By monnagran 17th Apr 18, 10:22 PM
    • 3,971 Posts
    • 53,804 Thanks
    monnagran
    Softstuff, we all get days like that and there is no one to take it out on but the nearest and dearest. In my case it's the dog, but one gaze into those eloquent eyes stops me dead. So it's 10 minutes of self pity.
    The only thing to do is to keep telling yourself that this will pass. As I think I've said here before, it may pass like a kidney stone, but pass it will.

I'm just off to bed to see if I can get a couple of hours sleep in before the ears are clacking like castanets as Millie wakes me for the first foray into the garden.

Wishing you all a peaceful night and a good book if you can't sleep.
    • Softstuff
    • By Softstuff 17th Apr 18, 11:52 PM
    • 3,045 Posts
    • 35,256 Thanks
    Softstuff
    Thanks Monnagran, hubby has the same eyes, so last night was mostly a pity party I had to apologise for. I tend to be able to manage the things that will pass with the idea that they will, no matter how disconcerting, it's the things that will be with me for life that occasionally I have a little spit at. I do a little toddler tantrum (not quite kicking and screaming on the floor, more sulky lip out) then hubby reminds me many people have it worse, and he's right.

I got a little recycle bag when we bought my gym clothes at the weekend, it has a quote on it "Why not see what happens when you never give up". Think I'm going to have the damned thing framed.
    • silver-oldie
    • By silver-oldie 18th Apr 18, 7:58 AM
    • 524 Posts
    • 7,460 Thanks
    silver-oldie
    Slept a bit better last night

Hopefully have made the best choses for mother's care. Thank you for all your kind thoughts.

After seeing A&E a few weeks ago, I would have hated to see anyone end their days there.

There were the row of beds with curtains around them. In front of them another row of beds and trolleys. The corridors full of patients on trolleys. Very little privacy or dignity. One man having problems with two police officers trying to keep him calm. I think you could have died and no one would have noticed for hours. It's so sad to see.
    If you walk at night no-one will see you cry.
    • mardatha
    • By mardatha 18th Apr 18, 8:31 AM
    • 15,206 Posts
    • 147,399 Thanks
    mardatha
    Woke up to yet another dark day of heavy grey skies. So fedup of this, it's starting to get me down. Tomorrow to be nice though, through to Sat and then Sunday back to rain...
    • silvasava
    • By silvasava 18th Apr 18, 9:08 AM
    • 3,904 Posts
    • 62,634 Thanks
    silvasava
    Silver-oldie - I've had a couple of trips to A&E recently and yes it was very overcrowded with me and others in the corridor until beds became available BUT all of us were being attended to and monitored - there may not have been someone with you all the time but you were definitely not just left.
    Having said that my procedure was done yesterday and thanks Fuddle - it wasnt anything like described in the leaflet so no need to have got worked up about it! Just need to find out the results and as you say Softstuff - there's many a lot worse off.
    Bright sunnyd day here so maybe a stint in the garden - wondering whether to plant out my runner beans as they're about a foot tall and ready to twine round anything. BTW DH bought a nice cauli yesterday & despite searching can't find a recipe that uses cauli leaves for soup making me wonder if they can be used. What's your views Chums?
    • Softstuff
    • By Softstuff 18th Apr 18, 10:10 AM
    • 3,045 Posts
    • 35,256 Thanks
    Softstuff
    Silvasava, I use the leaves like a leafy green. So I've stir-fried them, put them in soup and just generally used them. They're fine to use.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

144Posts Today

1,140Users online

Martin's Twitter