Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Knit Witch
    • By Knit Witch 18th Jul 17, 8:29 PM
    • 3,568Posts
    • 32,678Thanks
    Knit Witch
    The Garden Fence - proper Old Style support and chat!
    • 18th Jul 17, 8:29 PM
    The Garden Fence - proper Old Style support and chat! 18th Jul 17 at 8:29 PM
    As threads are going walkabout I thought I would start the next stage of this off - I will try and do the links later!
    V3ry - 389.60
Page 287
    • FairyPrincessk
    • By FairyPrincessk 15th Apr 18, 1:49 PM
    • 2,384 Posts
    • 25,957 Thanks
    FairyPrincessk
    Well, we've had some pleasant adventures. Friends round for lunch and a trip to a garden centre went well yesterday and I even got a diagnosis for a rather moody plant I've had for years. Then today I persuaded OH we should drive to the next village, park and walk about a mile to look at a house advertised. We're not yet in a position to put in an offer but it warranted a look anyway. The house is definitely not worth pining over, but the short walk turned into an almost two hour walk around a resevoir and then we stopped off at another garden centre on the way home, hand lunch and I got some materials necessary for rescuing my unhappy plant. It was nice distraction.

Of course when we got up this morning OH was saying we should 'get out so we can get home again.' I am more than a little smug that he was as pleased with the walk as I was. We come home just in time to beat the rain.

OH is back at school tomorrow and I have a full one week. I've not got to decide if I'm going to read about gardening or do a bit of sewing this afternoon.

Hugs to all who need them, including Karcher.
    • pollyanna 26
    • By pollyanna 26 15th Apr 18, 1:57 PM
    • 2,321 Posts
    • 22,045 Thanks
    pollyanna 26
    I'm glad to hear that mar . Enjoy ! It's been a long wait for you .

monna I'm in the feeling old and tired group at the moment . What passes for normal has long been in operation here too .

Good for you sorting the tech even if by luck . I've been winging it for years . We do have a professional techie in the family who will sort things but it means taking the laptop to them . Sheer shame and one arm getting longer than the other - Dells are heavy - made me make more effort . Once I was told I can't break anything I now sort out most stuff .
    I hope you enjoy your restful day x

wondercollie between collecting lovely tea towels , a connection to Little Lever and dd2 wondering whether to move to Canada we do have things in common . If your penfriends name began with S she may be my sister . We two elder sisters have always been traditional letter writers although the number of people who do so have dwindled . An email or text just isn't the same .
    I hope the four legged one is doing ok .

I've given up on Customer Services . I've had the words of " Hanging on the telephone " in my head . If that printer isn't instore tomorrow this will be me

Just going to have some lunch and try and condense all the to do lists into one in order of importance .

It's warmed up now but still grey and looks like it could rain . So working out clothing options for tomorrow for each scenario .

Enjoy your day everyone x

polly x
    • MrsLurcherwalker
    • By MrsLurcherwalker 15th Apr 18, 2:38 PM
    • 12,502 Posts
    • 173,652 Thanks
    MrsLurcherwalker
    We have persistent rain and it's cold again! what a difference a day makes? We took advantage of a dryish morning and went to a local boot fair where I got an Ikea high chair for Oreo and found an early learning centre puppet theatre for Zebra complete with all the puppets for just 4, success! we went on to the garden centre for coffee and then home. I've just walked Cookie in the rain and am now having a nice warm cup of tea to get me warm again while He Who Knows is watching the IPL cricket on the TV.
    Thumpers mum was right - if you can't find anything nice to say don't say anything at all!
    • Floss
    • By Floss 15th Apr 18, 2:59 PM
    • 4,883 Posts
    • 45,331 Thanks
    Floss
    We put in good shifts on our allotment yesterday - DH dug over & raked the potato bed, then cleared the drainage gully at the end. The site (as is a lot of southerly Blackpool) is on moss land and needs drains & dykes to be well maintained to ensure they keep the land useable. I weeded the asparagus bath and rediscovered strawberry plants from under their winter coats of leaves, weeded one of the raised beds, flower bed & lily pots.

Today I ache...so we decided to get out & walk to the prom to walk to all of our 3 piers. We were out for just over 2 hours, cloudy but very muggy & humid, and got home just before it began mizzling. Just had a cold meat & salad lunch while watching an arts program about Lisbon, where we went on our honeymoon.
    • fuddle
    • By fuddle 15th Apr 18, 4:24 PM
    • 6,529 Posts
    • 100,200 Thanks
    fuddle
    Karcher I had been dealing with different stressful episodes for the last 8 years. I too feel I'm resilient and I won't be kept down for long but at my detriment really. See, in not dealing with my stress I opened myself up to pretty serious health episodes. I will never, ever, think I can tough stress out on my own again.
    Be like a tree.
    Stay grounded. Connect with your roots. Turn over a new leaf.
    Bend before you break. Enjoy your natural beauty. Keep growing.
    • Softstuff
    • By Softstuff 15th Apr 18, 10:11 PM
    • 3,033 Posts
    • 35,095 Thanks
    Softstuff
    You've all been so active you make me feel tired! It's almost like you're all solar powered, in which case I should really be doing far more here with more sun :-)

It's nice even for me when the sun comes out over there, I see many of the fencers perking up, it's a bit like seeing the first snowdrops in spring
    Softstuff- Officially better than 007
    • mardatha
    • By mardatha 15th Apr 18, 10:21 PM
    • 15,149 Posts
    • 146,652 Thanks
    mardatha
    Back to normal rain up here. My only current stress is family - mainly sons. But I'm only mildly stressed as they can just bloody well get on with it, the same way I had to. Forecast is ok for tomorrow until teatime so we might do an escape somewhere, failing that will get some work done in the garden.
    • Hard Up Hester
    • By Hard Up Hester 16th Apr 18, 8:11 AM
    • 3,848 Posts
    • 49,104 Thanks
    Hard Up Hester
    We have sun again and CHS told me last night at 7pm that th was out of medication, so first job of the day is of to the chemist to collect more.
    CHS is going to watch and learn the engine service so he can do it himself from now on.
    Once the engine has been serviced we will move on and find somewhere to moor for a couple of days.
    Thanks for all the suggestions re CHS and stress, he doesn't have the tools anymore to offer handyman service and as he doesn't drive it would be difficult. I will suggest he tries to leave his stress in a box, but I think he is incapable of that. We have had a couple of better days weather wise which has helped a bit.
    Chin up, Titus out.
    • monnagran
    • By monnagran 16th Apr 18, 10:36 AM
    • 3,940 Posts
    • 53,337 Thanks
    monnagran
    Hester, you spend your best years sorting out your children, living through their traumas, their highs and lows, second guessing their moods and what is causing them and pushing yourself to do whatever you can to make things right for them. As soon as they are reasonably independent you breathe a sigh of relief, turn round and find CHS requiring exactly the same consideration.
    It's not easy being a woman, is it? We all think that one day it will be our turn to be looked after and sometimes it does really happen. It's not always so welcome when it does, but that's another story.

FairyP that sounds like a really great weekend. Hopefully it has recharged your batteries.

Polly, you sound as if your batteries could do with a bit of recharging too. Perhaps your printer will arrive today and you will be spared another session with customer services. I think they should be renamed. Customer Ordeals, or Customer Endurance Trials spring to mind.

Mar, children can be great blessings and great irritants, in approximately equal measures. A short period of no contact often helps.

Floss, well done on the gardening and subsequent healthy walk. Do you have any legs, or energy, left for the rest of the week?

Softstuff, you are so kind to be pleased for us all going dolally over the first warm days. After the grim, dreary winter we have been through, the sun has made us all slightly mad.

Fuddle, we have lived through your ups and downs with you over the past few years, and there is not one of us who doesn't hold you close to our hearts. You have been an absolute example of what can be achieved against overwhelming odds and we are with you 100% in your efforts to sort out your health. I have no doubt that you will win through on that one too. x

OK, another week beckons. Perhaps my dream bungalow will,pop up and I can start planning the future. I would love to be able to see further than the next 24 hours, but I suppose no-one can do that with any certainty.
    Anyway, the weather looks to be turning warmer, at least temporarily, and everything looks brighter. I may even dig out something lighter to wear, although that may be tempting fate.

THOUGHT FOR TODAY

People talk about having an inner child.
    I don't.
    I have an inner old lady who says inappropriate things, tells everyone to be quiet and wants to go to bed at 8.00 pm.

(found on Pinterest)
    Last edited by monnagran; 16-04-2018 at 10:41 AM.
    I believe that friends are quiet angels
    Who lift us to our feet when our wings
    Have trouble remembering how to fly.
    • LameWolf
    • By LameWolf 16th Apr 18, 12:06 PM
    • 10,740 Posts
    • 118,151 Thanks
    LameWolf
    We have sun again and CHS told me last night at 7pm that th was out of medication, so first job of the day is of to the chemist to collect more.
    Originally posted by Hard Up Hester
    I don't leave it to Mr LW to monitor his meds; I do it. I also set out the following day's meds for both of us each night - at least that way I know for certain he's taking what he should, when he should; and he won't run out because he's forgotten to check his supply.

I chose not to have children..... looks like I have a 68-year-old one, nevertheless.

Monna re your thought for the day - it put me in mind of Sir Terry Pratchett's "Hogfather", where Susan Sto Helit (who is Death's granddaughter for the uninitiated) says: "Hi, Inner Child.... I'm the Inner Babysitter!"
    That's me - the Inner Babysitter.
    Last edited by LameWolf; 16-04-2018 at 12:09 PM.
    LameWolf
    If your dog thinks you're the best, don't seek a second opinion.
    • Softstuff
    • By Softstuff 16th Apr 18, 12:12 PM
    • 3,033 Posts
    • 35,095 Thanks
    Softstuff
    I'd like to share a lovely cake recipe with you all:

https://www.cookinginspiredbylove.com/yogurt-cake/

Delicious and it works wonderfully well (I served it with double cream and blueberries). Me being me, I had an idea to change it up a bit and added the following: a double shot of espresso coffee and about half a cup of chopped walnuts, I then iced it with an icing made from cream cheese, vanilla and natvia (stevia and erythritol sweetener).

In any case, both cakes are sugar free, gluten free and if you make it with lactose free yoghurt and cream cheese, lactose free too. And low carb too (though best in small serves as a treat).

I'll take that base and make another version in a few weeks no doubt.
    • Hard Up Hester
    • By Hard Up Hester 16th Apr 18, 6:33 PM
    • 3,848 Posts
    • 49,104 Thanks
    Hard Up Hester
    We decided to go for a walk now we are moored, we were walking back towards our boat and I could see some splashing by the lock gates. Then I realised that it was a small dog from a neighbouring boat, it had fallen in and couldn't get out again.
    CHS ran across the lock gates and hauled it out, it then ran happily back to its boat.
    Chin up, Titus out.
    • Islandmaid
    • By Islandmaid 16th Apr 18, 7:04 PM
    • 2,814 Posts
    • 40,795 Thanks
    Islandmaid
    We decided to go for a walk now we are moored, we were walking back towards our boat and I could see some splashing by the lock gates. Then I realised that it was a small dog from a neighbouring boat, it had fallen in and couldn't get out again.
    CHS ran across the lock gates and hauled it out, it then ran happily back to its boat.
    Originally posted by Hard Up Hester
    WOW - How fab that you were there at that time, well done that man x
    Note to self - STOP SPENDING MONEY !!
    • monnagran
    • By monnagran 16th Apr 18, 8:25 PM
    • 3,940 Posts
    • 53,337 Thanks
    monnagran
    Hester. Well done CHS. All is forgiven.
    I believe that friends are quiet angels
    Who lift us to our feet when our wings
    Have trouble remembering how to fly.
    • fuddle
    • By fuddle 16th Apr 18, 9:32 PM
    • 6,529 Posts
    • 100,200 Thanks
    fuddle
    That's a recipe very much up my street softstuff. It's been a long time since I baked summat I can eat so I will be visiting that page again very soon.

Big clappy hands to CHS for his superman efforts.

Monna you say the nicest things, thank you. x

I have news! We have a new female plot holder she's about 50, single lady who lives in my street... and my friend! I'm excited to have her there and she knows Mr Pea Seedling and his foibles and will have non of it. My guardian angel has been at work again.

The last bit is my MRI scan date came through today for 23rd May. It's left me feeling blergh. I thought I would feel relieved really but I don't I just feel cross that it's arrival has messed with my chipper mood. Grumble grumble.
    Be like a tree.
    • silver-oldie
    • By silver-oldie 17th Apr 18, 6:41 AM
    • 491 Posts
    • 6,994 Thanks
    silver-oldie
    Well done CHS
    If you walk at night no-one will see you cry.
    • FairyPrincessk
    • By FairyPrincessk 17th Apr 18, 6:48 AM
    • 2,384 Posts
    • 25,957 Thanks
    FairyPrincessk
    Morning all,

Very impressed with CHS's heroics.

I can't wait for tomorrow's warmer weather, although I'll be in meetings most of the day. Thursday I'm working from home, so I've been trying to get all of my computer based work done so that I can work on a clip board in the garden. The lettuce seedlings are doing welll, the chillis less so. I'm hoping when I look this morning they will have made a bit of progress.

I'd better remember to get the mince out the freezer for the spag bol tonight.

Hugs to all who need them.x
    • Softstuff
    • By Softstuff 17th Apr 18, 6:59 AM
    • 3,033 Posts
    • 35,095 Thanks
    Softstuff
    I'm imagining CHS as that old athena poster now, a black and white image of a hunky man holding a puppy! I hope you rewarded his heroics Hester.

Lamewolf, I also chose not to have kids, but I reckon taking care of hubby is job enough, especially with the amount he can eat!

Fuddle, if you're making it, have a look for a sweetener that's stevia and erythritol, it sounds chemically, but erythritol is just a sugar alcohol, it has no effect on your insulin levels and unlike some other sweeteners, no aftertaste or laxative effect. I use less than the recipe though, because we're getting used to a lot less sweetness in our diets. I don't know if you're interested, but I have a nice waffle recipe for a waffle maker?
    • silver-oldie
    • By silver-oldie 17th Apr 18, 7:21 AM
    • 491 Posts
    • 6,994 Thanks
    silver-oldie
    Still not sleeping well.
    Trying to decide what advanced care and end of life care plan for mother is not easy. Writing it down seems even worse. I feel like one of those Romans, thumbs up you live, thumbs down you don't. Mother says she wants to live to 110 or more, so maybe no rush.

Need to get into the garden again. Have planted the onions, peas, potatoes, beetroot and carrot. The new strawberry plants are looking good. I have lots of seeds I started on window sills needing to be planted out soon. Just need a bit more energy.
    If you walk at night no-one will see you cry.
    • fuddle
    • By fuddle 17th Apr 18, 8:03 AM
    • 6,529 Posts
    • 100,200 Thanks
    fuddle
    erythritol is a new concept for me softstuff so thank you for giving me today's research topic. sadly I don't have a waffle maker though.

Silver-oldie I think your energy might show itself when the temps warm up and the sun shines. I have only just planted potatoes, nothing else is in the ground yet. The greenhouse is hardly aiding germination as it's still too cold. My window sill is doing the work for me. Tomorrow though, is the start of things to come for my neck of the woods but unfortunately for youngest DD I have had a pollen notification and it seems she'll be getting the birch pollen to deal with. Always something, always pros and cons.
    Be like a tree.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,094Posts Today

8,986Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Ta ta... for now. This August, as I try and do every few yrs, I'm lucky enough to be taking a sabbatical. No work,? https://t.co/Xx4R3eLhFG

• RT @lethalbrignull: @MartinSLewis I've been sitting here for a good while trying to decide my answer to this, feeling grateful for living i?

• Early days but currently it's exactly 50 50 in liberality v democracy, with younger people more liberal, older more? https://t.co/YwJr4izuIj

• Follow Martin