Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Knit Witch
    • By Knit Witch 18th Jul 17, 8:29 PM
    • 3,610Posts
    • 32,933Thanks
    Knit Witch
    The Garden Fence - proper Old Style support and chat!
    • 18th Jul 17, 8:29 PM
    The Garden Fence - proper Old Style support and chat! 18th Jul 17 at 8:29 PM
    As threads are going walkabout I thought I would start the next stage of this off - I will try and do the links later!
    Must use my stash up!
Page 286
    • Witless
    • By Witless 14th Apr 18, 3:15 PM
    • 687 Posts
    • 3,773 Thanks
    Witless
    Witless Thanks a lot ................ It is actually in the ideal place. I sense Gods hand in this.
    Originally posted by nursemaggie
    No bother NM, glad it was a bit of help.
    • Witless
    • By Witless 14th Apr 18, 3:17 PM
    • 687 Posts
    • 3,773 Thanks
    Witless
    There is a big yellow thing in the sky.
    Originally posted by mardatha
    A likely tale!

You'll be telling us next that JBs aren't the food of the gods!
    • Hard Up Hester
    • By Hard Up Hester 14th Apr 18, 3:45 PM
    • 3,956 Posts
    • 50,513 Thanks
    Hard Up Hester
    Karcher, sorry you are having such a hard time.
    LW, woohoo, great news, such a relief for you.
    NM, good news from you too.
    We have sun today so lots of power to the batteries, and even better CHS is in a better mood because of the sun.
    We've moved to another mooring to enjoy the sun, we will stay here until tomorrow.
    Chin up, Titus out.
    • mardatha
    • By mardatha 14th Apr 18, 4:11 PM
    • 15,322 Posts
    • 148,906 Thanks
    mardatha
    Yellow thing still up there, it hasn't detonated yet so it canny be a bomb..
    Heard my first curlew today, Spring has def sprung up here
    • silvasava
    • By silvasava 14th Apr 18, 4:17 PM
    • 4,008 Posts
    • 64,033 Thanks
    silvasava
    Boats being lifted into the water today - mine was no 22 of 49 so about halfway. We have a new guy organising and boy was it all slick - high tide was 11.30 and we have two hours either side with enough water to launch. We were finished by 12.30!! Really foggy start but the sun burnt through, no wind and calm water - absolutely beautiful AND we have a large pond at the club with a small 'island' in the middle, this year a pair of swans are nesting on it and she has 7 eggs!! We're all quite excited!
    Have a 70th birthday bash tonight so what with DS1's do on Thursday I think tomorrow will be a veg out day.
    Do hope everyone gets to enjoy some sunshine and lifts your spirits
    Small victories - sometimes they are all you can hope for but sometimes they are all you need - be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle
    • MrsLurcherwalker
    • By MrsLurcherwalker 14th Apr 18, 5:51 PM
    • 12,867 Posts
    • 177,760 Thanks
    MrsLurcherwalker
    Well today has turned itself into the most wonderfully warm and sunny day we've had since last summer, it's been glorious out there and my batteries are recharged. We went over to the arboretum and walked every inch of pathway it had to offer, sat in the sun and basked lizard like in the sun and had a cup of tea and some cake in the restaurant again we were lucky enough to find an outside table in the sun, Oh it was GLORIOUS and made me think of the Elbow song with the words 'Fling those curtains wide.....one day a year like this will see me right!' I've been waiting for this day for all of the long grey and cold winter YIPPEE!!!
    Thumpers mum was right - if you can't find anything nice to say don't say anything at all!
    • camelot1001
    • By camelot1001 14th Apr 18, 7:40 PM
    • 4,109 Posts
    • 50,536 Thanks
    camelot1001
    Sounds wonderful MrsLW. Sadly we haven't had any sun here today but it didn't rain so things are looking up!

Hope you feel better soon karcher, do see a Dr as soon as you can.

I've been for a lovely afternoon tea today that included a glass of fizz, we stopped for a refreshment on the way home too, a lovely Saturday afternoon.
    • MMF007
    • By MMF007 14th Apr 18, 7:42 PM
    • 1,328 Posts
    • 29,574 Thanks
    MMF007
    Oh we have had a lovely day here,too!
    We went to Tatton Park, had breakfast in the courtyard, a tour of the Old Hall (rarely open), coffee n cake, a tour of the Japanese garden (also rarely open to the public), a walk round the gardens, and finally another coffee. All in beautiful sunshine

We took my friend as a thank you for looking after our house while we were away in January.

Karcher, how are you today? Are you feeling all the hugs that have been sent your way?
    I hope so x
    I have changed my work-life balance to a life-work balance.
    • greenbee
    • By greenbee 14th Apr 18, 7:42 PM
    • 12,889 Posts
    • 222,552 Thanks
    greenbee
    We've had sun I've spent the day in the garden. Sadly it's going to rain tomorrow, but hopefully I'll have time to give the grass another cut with the mower blades down to their normal setting.
    • karcher
    • By karcher 14th Apr 18, 8:57 PM
    • 1,853 Posts
    • 17,189 Thanks
    karcher
    I didn't even think of a thyroid issue, just put it down to age and stress.

We all have our crosses to bear but I do think I've had more than my fair share now

I just wish I knew tomorrow would be better.

I'm a realist and have learnt to my cost that no matter what I do or how hard I try, my lot ain't changing any time soon.

x
    'I'm sinking in the quicksand of my thought
    And I ain't got the power anymore'
    • pollyanna 26
    • By pollyanna 26 14th Apr 18, 9:12 PM
    • 2,508 Posts
    • 23,717 Thanks
    pollyanna 26
    karcher I know it isn't easy to pull yourself out of the pit of despair but only by seeing your doctor and talking about how much you're struggling on little sleep and how low you feel can you begin to make small steps towards a brighter future .

It's very hard when you don't have support in real life . We're strangers but we're people who care about you . Please take that first step and look for support . You may find the future can be better than you think . We'll hold your hand love .

polly x
    • MMF007
    • By MMF007 14th Apr 18, 9:26 PM
    • 1,328 Posts
    • 29,574 Thanks
    MMF007
    karcher, I have sent you a pm x
    I have changed my work-life balance to a life-work balance.
    • Softstuff
    • By Softstuff 14th Apr 18, 10:36 PM
    • 3,059 Posts
    • 35,457 Thanks
    Softstuff
    Hugs Karcher. Get to the docs and get checked out first. Even very bad things feel so much worse with bad sleep.

I'm glad at least most of you are enjoying some decent weather. We are here too, it seems Autumn is coming, so lovely sunshine but cool breezes too. We went AWOL yesterday, just set off in the car, went to another seaside town, had lunch out, bought a few goodies, then found a pinball arcade. Felt like a little holiday and just what I needed. I got a sports bra and dance leggings, there's a sentence I thought I'd never type
    Softstuff- Officially better than 007
    • pollyanna 26
    • By pollyanna 26 14th Apr 18, 11:29 PM
    • 2,508 Posts
    • 23,717 Thanks
    pollyanna 26
    Well done Softstuff . a sports bra and leggings . You may end up the OS fitness guru . I'm hoping mum will get the right support . They must be familiar with having the wool pulled over their eyes .

Do you know NM I'd completely forgotten Openstreet Map . You would be only a couple of miles from Bromley Cross . i think I've mentioned my sister lived in Little Lever in the late 70s .

I'm glad you feel you could be happy in that flat . We will send everything positive your way for a positive outcome . I hope the aches and pains are improving . I have felt a lot better today for some sun , it makes such a difference up North .

Monna I trust you are sleeping peacefully . All this battering the pearly gates must be exhausting .
    You haven't been sending cats through the post have you ? The offspring have been laughing at three random cats suddenly appearing at my house . One is determined to move in . My postman was in hysterics when he called for his money and cat ran in and hooked its claws in halfway up the stairs . I was trying to untangle it as another cat came down the drive followed by a thug of a cat which was a candidate for a gangster film .
    Second cat followed milkman back to his car . Determined cat saw off the gangster and has moved into my windowbox which isn't yet planted and stares in at me . It's like living in an episode of Top Cat

We have named it WBC for short . None of the three look hungry or uncared for so I'm trying to ignore after trying to explain to WBC I would love a cat but don't have time to care for one while the milkman laughed at the interchange . Good job he's known me for years .

Well time for bed said Zebedee . Too tired to sing a lullaby tonight . Be grateful for small mercies .

polly x
    • wondercollie
    • By wondercollie 15th Apr 18, 12:25 AM
    • 1,231 Posts
    • 9,259 Thanks
    wondercollie
    I had a penpal in Little Lever back in the 1970s!
    • mardatha
    • By mardatha 15th Apr 18, 7:35 AM
    • 15,322 Posts
    • 148,906 Thanks
    mardatha
    Polly, cats don't need time. Cats just need a nice warm home and a human to fill up a wee bowl once a day, the rest of the time they care for themselves. That's why I like cats and not so much dogs... With a cat, you bring it home, you say there's the food and there's the loo, and that's IT. Sorted!
    • silvasava
    • By silvasava 15th Apr 18, 9:16 AM
    • 4,008 Posts
    • 64,033 Thanks
    silvasava
    With you on that one Mardatha!
    MrsL - that Elbow song is one of my very favourites.
    Karcher - I can only echo what everyone else has said - get thee to the doctor to check you for any imbalances. I'd take you there myself if I could!
    NM - do hope you find your forever home soon - you've waited too long.
    Softstuff - your time out with DH sounds as if it did you a power of good!
    Well chums - looks as if the fireball in the sky is going to visit us over the next couple of weeks and brighten our days - I hope in more ways than one for many on this thread.
    BTW haven't seen Monna yet - is she having a well deserved lie in?
    Small victories - sometimes they are all you can hope for but sometimes they are all you need - be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle
    • pollyanna 26
    • By pollyanna 26 15th Apr 18, 11:01 AM
    • 2,508 Posts
    • 23,717 Thanks
    pollyanna 26
    Good morning Fencers . Heavy grey skies here today so we'll see whether it will brighten up .

Silva Monna had some busy days including a house viewing so maybe she's catching up on much needed sleep . Or maybe she's posted herself somewhere less exhausting .

Mar I agree about cats . My problem is although it works for many I can't think of having an indoor cat . A while back I considered a cat with health problems , our local rescue has lots of HIV cats . It isn't possible due to dds lowered immune system and the fact we're already snowed under with appointments . After cat of the heart was run over I decided no more cats but I do miss them .
    If I ever get to do the last final move it may change .

I hope you managed some sleep Karcher .

I'm currently trying to get some sense out of Ar*os . The landline phone and printer both expired a few days ago . Ordered both on Friday in to store using choose and reserve . Both we're said to be available then and reserved . Our local store has closed down so after the Drs Friday we had to take a taxi out of the area . Phone was there but no printer . Now been told today or tomorrow , been phoning that store but not getting anywhere . I think it's the young guy I spoke to in there on Friday who was as much use as a chocolate fireguard . I asked to speak to the manager but told he doesn't work weekends . DD has a lengthy pain and wellbeing assessment tomorrow morning and I want to be sure the order will be ready afterwards . If you hear of a pensioner losing the plot in store it will be me .

I need to get some housework done while trying to get some sense about the order . I've borrowed someones landline phone as I need the message service and hoped to hand it back tomorrow . I may try ringing customer services on the main no . Send the vibes .

BTW I do not pay the postman , I meant the milkman !

polly x
    • monnagran
    • By monnagran 15th Apr 18, 12:05 PM
    • 4,045 Posts
    • 54,528 Thanks
    monnagran
    Hi. I am here but feeling feeling old and tired. Last week was chaos at its best, every day seemed to have urgent things to be done and although none of them were insurmountable it took its toll on my energy. Every time I sat down I fell asleep, which didn't help when it came to night time.

OK, whinge over and back to what laughingly passes for normality.

I've had no broadband for a couple of days, the wifi went down. finally. yesterday I messed about with it and it all came back on. DS2 rang and said he'd come down and sort it for me. It gave me no end of satisfaction to report that, techni-challenged as I am, I had sorted it myself. He was impressed, so I didn't tell him that it was more by luck than judgement and I'd not a clue how I'd done it and certainly wouldn't be able to do it again.
    Now, if only I could get my tablet and printer to kiss and be friends I'd be the happiest bunny.

I must go through the last few days posts and see what you have all been up to. Karcher I know about and she knows how seriously displeased I will be if no doctors appointment is made tomorrow. You listening, K?

I hope you are all enjoying the warmer weather. I wish it was just a little more predictable. While waiting for someone to come off the ferry on Thursday, I saw every sort of clothing going past from shorts and Tshirt to thick coats, scarves, gloves and winter boots.

Nothing whatsoever planned for today. Unutterable bliss.

Have a .........THOUGHT FOR SUNDAY

God gave us mouths that close and ears that don't. That must tell us something.
    I believe that friends are quiet angels
    Who lift us to our feet when our wings
    Have trouble remembering how to fly.
    • mardatha
    • By mardatha 15th Apr 18, 1:38 PM
    • 15,322 Posts
    • 148,906 Thanks
    mardatha
    Another sunny breezy day up here, been gardening all day and watching my washing blowing. Lovely.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

292Posts Today

2,495Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Many saying sexism or ego. My suspicion as someone who works in TV is that this is a format point. I'd think whe? https://t.co/AXfrv5YqKA

• I do always ponder when watching apprentice why Lord Sugar is "Lord Sugar" but Baroness Bradey is Karen. #bbctheapprentice

• Lord Sugar just said "she's talking like she's a 50 year old, she knows it inside out?" Genuine question if ther? https://t.co/6cZJ9d2Cni

• Follow Martin