Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Knit Witch
    • By Knit Witch 18th Jul 17, 8:29 PM
    • 3,568Posts
    • 32,679Thanks
    Knit Witch
    The Garden Fence - proper Old Style support and chat!
    • 18th Jul 17, 8:29 PM
    The Garden Fence - proper Old Style support and chat! 18th Jul 17 at 8:29 PM
    As threads are going walkabout I thought I would start the next stage of this off - I will try and do the links later!
    V3ry - 389.60
Page 285
    • greenbee
    • By greenbee 13th Apr 18, 9:16 PM
    • 12,690 Posts
    • 220,940 Thanks
    greenbee
    Karcher - if work is causing you all this stress is there any way you can find the energy to look for an alternative? It sounds as if it would be worth it, but I know that when things are really tough it can be difficult to work out an exit plan.
    • MMF007
    • By MMF007 13th Apr 18, 9:51 PM
    • 1,328 Posts
    • 29,548 Thanks
    MMF007
    NM, have you tried www.streetmap.co.uk ?

If you have the street name OR the postcode you may well find it using their search. Good luck x
    I have changed my work-life balance to a life-work balance.
    • nursemaggie
    • By nursemaggie 13th Apr 18, 10:11 PM
    • 2,363 Posts
    • 31,524 Thanks
    nursemaggie
    MMF007 It just gives me a map of North Bolton not even big enough to see my own street. I don't have the address just Kent Court and the post code. I don't see why I should have to have a flat that probably looks at a blank wall on an access-less car park with two factories and a gym in sight. The houses there are ugly it is near the A666, noisy and polluted I do not want to live their.
    • MMF007
    • By MMF007 13th Apr 18, 10:30 PM
    • 1,328 Posts
    • 29,548 Thanks
    MMF007
    NM, you can change the map to zoom in. There is a bar on the right hand side to change the scale. HTH.
    I have changed my work-life balance to a life-work balance.
    • nursemaggie
    • By nursemaggie 13th Apr 18, 10:55 PM
    • 2,363 Posts
    • 31,524 Thanks
    nursemaggie
    MMF007 zooming in does not make any difference as they don't mark where it is. Thanks anyway.
    • Witless
    • By Witless 13th Apr 18, 11:25 PM
    • 666 Posts
    • 3,568 Thanks
    Witless
    Is
    https://ww2.zoopla.co.uk/property/1-kent-court/bolton/bl1-2lw/1964505
    any help?

It seems to be a new cul-de-sac at the end of Kent Rd: you can use street view from the end of Kent Rd.
    • Softstuff
    • By Softstuff 13th Apr 18, 11:34 PM
    • 3,033 Posts
    • 35,095 Thanks
    Softstuff
    Nursemaggie, great news for your DS, hope yours happens soon xx

Karcher, I wish I could come and give you a hug. I'm sorry it's just virtual ones. I second the view that a visit to the docs might be in order though, because all of that might not only be stress, it might be something more easily fixable.

Well, last night mums GP was supposed to phone me (11am uk time, 9pm aus time). At 10.30 I went to bed and no call. I called mum this morning and apparently they tried but couldn't get through on the number I had given, so I'll call them next week when I'm home during their opening hours and give that a go. Social services have apparently phoned mum, not visited. They asked "are you ok getting meals?" of course she answered she was, they asked "are you ok washing", she told them she was getting a bath thing to lower her and would be fine, they asked if there was anything else she needed, she conceded she needed cleaning help around the house. When the lady checked, apparently there isn't a social services cleaner available within 20kms of Morecambe So, nothing at all to help her.

Mum of course, having recovered from the uti is now thinking that all is well and that is that. I think I'm just going to try and calm down and have another look at all the links you lovely people provided previously next week and see where to go from there.
    Softstuff- Officially better than 007
    • wondercollie
    • By wondercollie 14th Apr 18, 12:38 AM
    • 1,207 Posts
    • 9,055 Thanks
    wondercollie
    Day 167 of temperatures below zero! That was the cheery news on today's morning news.

On the good news front, the snow has started to melt.

Just heard my best pal's Dad died this morning. Means I'll be heading out to the coast sometime next week for his funeral. We've already decided to take his ashes with us to Scotland in the autumn. Tricky bit will be telling her Mum that we have already got plane tickets. Her Mum is in her 90s and really not fit to travel but doesn't see it that way.
    Last edited by wondercollie; 14-04-2018 at 1:47 AM.
    • silver-oldie
    • By silver-oldie 14th Apr 18, 7:30 AM
    • 491 Posts
    • 6,995 Thanks
    silver-oldie
    Karcher, just read your post, hugs. Hope you managed some sleep.

As others have said, please go and see your Dr.

Please post, I have found everyone so supportive. When I went to a meeting recently, my thought was ,hope it's a big room, I've so many fencers 'with' me. Made me feel so much better, not so alone.
    If you walk at night no-one will see you cry.
    • FairyPrincessk
    • By FairyPrincessk 14th Apr 18, 8:10 AM
    • 2,384 Posts
    • 25,957 Thanks
    FairyPrincessk
    Morning all,

We had a heavy fog again last night, but it is a bit clearer today and very damp. No rain though, and I'm hoping it holds off. We have friends coming for a lunch and a trip to a local garden centre. The plan is then to walk back to the station via a scenic route and stop in for a drink before they head home. OH is doing the mains--a sort of tapas selection with me throwing in a few salads because I told him we can eat exclusively a pile of fatty salty things. I've also made a key lime pie for after...or, well, a lime pie

The cherry and crab apple are both covered in buds. I may not have had any fruit off of them last year, but hopefully they'll be pretty in a few weeks.

We're also forecast to get a couple of proper warm days next week--Weds and Thurs. Spring might come yet!

Wondercollie, I used to live in a place climatically very similar to you. The snow fell around (American) Thanksgiving and wasn't completely gone until late April/Early May. It is trying. I'm sorry to hear about your loss, breaking the news about the flights won't be easy, I'm sure.
    • Islandmaid
    • By Islandmaid 14th Apr 18, 8:31 AM
    • 2,814 Posts
    • 40,795 Thanks
    Islandmaid
    Karcher ((Hugs)) from me too x Please don't stop posting, we miss you when you disappear, and get to the doctor x

NM Fantastic news about DS's flat, hope you get good news soon too x

WC Sorry to hear of your loss, hope the news of the flights is taken well x

We are off to the 'North Island' later to meet my eldest and his GF for a meal, it'll be the first time we have seen them since Christmas and first time in about 6 months the whole family, (myself, DH the 3 kids and their respective OH's) have got together, so I am really looking forward to it

Hester you have gone quiet - hope all is okay x

Softstuff I lost your bit Sounds like your Mum is scared of losing her independence, so is telling everyone all is okay x Stick to your guns and take notes, so when you do start talking to the right people, you don't forget something important x
    Last edited by Islandmaid; 14-04-2018 at 9:45 AM.
    Note to self - STOP SPENDING MONEY !!
    • mardatha
    • By mardatha 14th Apr 18, 8:51 AM
    • 15,149 Posts
    • 146,652 Thanks
    mardatha
    There is a big yellow thing in the sky. I'm scared!!
    • MrsLurcherwalker
    • By MrsLurcherwalker 14th Apr 18, 9:00 AM
    • 12,502 Posts
    • 173,661 Thanks
    MrsLurcherwalker
    We have thick cold damp FOG!!!
    Thumpers mum was right - if you can't find anything nice to say don't say anything at all!
    • Floss
    • By Floss 14th Apr 18, 9:10 AM
    • 4,883 Posts
    • 45,333 Thanks
    Floss
    Bright sunshine here
    • silver-oldie
    • By silver-oldie 14th Apr 18, 10:21 AM
    • 491 Posts
    • 6,995 Thanks
    silver-oldie
    Think Hester was having problems, no sun for solar power. Did she say they were moving the boat?
    If you walk at night no-one will see you cry.
    • ArthriticOldThing
    • By ArthriticOldThing 14th Apr 18, 11:12 AM
    • 527 Posts
    • 7,478 Thanks
    ArthriticOldThing
    WE had beautiful, bright sunshine until I hung the washing out. Now, of course, its thick fog!!!!
    Use it up, Wear it out, Make it do, Do without.
    • pollyanna 26
    • By pollyanna 26 14th Apr 18, 1:59 PM
    • 2,326 Posts
    • 22,066 Thanks
    pollyanna 26
    Mar we've had a yellow thing in the sky today too . Clouding over now but it was cheering while it lasted .

Karcher Please make a doctors appointment . Whether it turns out to be something like Thyroid or similar , or is due to the stresses you've been struggling with for quite some time , you need to discuss it with the GP . All the effort on your part wont make a difference . You can't help yourself from a very low starting point . We all care about you and want you to find some joy and normality in life . X

NM Is that Halliwell ? I can't see more detailed maps either . It's over 40 years since I lived in council property and although I understand the bidding process I'm unsure what happens after you express an interest . I'm assuming they would show the interior on their site but maybe not the surrounding area .

Is it secure council tenancy or HA ? If the flats are a mix of ownership perhaps another company may show the exterior .

I don't do FB but we have a local one , would it be worth asking for information on Bolton's or one for that specific area ? Only other thing is go and suss out the surroundings yourself in advance of the offer being confirmed
    Good luck and wishing your son well in his new home . How's he getting on with the packing up ?

Still need to catch up here so for now take care all and let's hope we've said goodbye to the cold weather . That includes you wondercollie x

polly x
    • nursemaggie
    • By nursemaggie 14th Apr 18, 2:03 PM
    • 2,363 Posts
    • 31,524 Thanks
    nursemaggie
    Witless Thanks a lot I have had a chance to look at the area on Street view, I had spotted a newish Church building a few minutes walk from there. Well there is a crossing over the main road, just off the same street and it is well within even my poor day walk so I will accept it, if I am offered it. It is also within a few minutes walk of Ald!. on a good day I could walk into town and I don't go into town on the days my hips and knees stop me walking far anyway. It is actually in the ideal place. I sense Gods hand in this.
    • LameWolf
    • By LameWolf 14th Apr 18, 2:42 PM
    • 10,740 Posts
    • 118,151 Thanks
    LameWolf
    Another helpful, if wacky, tip I was given is to mentally pack up the stress into a box, shut it, and place it outside. Sounds ridiculous but it does mean you have to conciously acknowledge the stress and consciously try not to take it home. Doesn't always work but helped sometimes.
    Originally posted by MMF007
    That sounds much the same idea as a Tangle Jar. Let me explain..... Something has upset/annoyed/stressed you. So, you get a length of wool/ribbon/yarn and you tie knots in it, until you cannot tie any more; all the while, tying up the stress/anger etc into the knots.
    There's a charm to say, too: "Tangle the anger, Tangle the pain, By this knot I am free again".
    You put the tied up yarn etc into a special jar which you keep for life's Tangles. When the jar is full, you tip them out and burn them.
    Some people use colour-coded yarn - eg red or pink for medical worries, blue for finance, green for family stuff, etc. Go with what feels right.

Fencers, I am so sorry I've been awol for a couple of days; been up to my ears and simply not had the time or energy to log onto MSE at all.

Anyways, the good news is Mr LW got a clean bill of health from the respiratory consultant. So NO copd, or cancer, or anything else life-threatening. He does have some scarring on his lungs, from having double pneumonia at 9 years old; and it seems this is being aggravated by something external - probably the fallout from the Bletchley incinerator. But he's not going to peg out on me any time soon.

I've had to skim-read the last few pages; and I'm afraid brainfog means I haven't retained what I've read; but I do remember Karcher is in need of a (((HUG))) <--- There you are, mate.

SO I'm very unimpressed that the care home couldn't have given you a heads-up as to what they wanted to talk about. Lack of empathy on their part, I'd call that.

Anyways - I need to go and clean the bathroom - I swear the bath lift will go on strike in protest if I don't take the steam cleaner to it today. So I shall say TTFN and hopefully be back in a day or so.
    LameWolf
    If your dog thinks you're the best, don't seek a second opinion.
    • nursemaggie
    • By nursemaggie 14th Apr 18, 2:45 PM
    • 2,363 Posts
    • 31,524 Thanks
    nursemaggie
    Polly yes it is in Halliwell, I live in Halliwell now but it is at the extreme opposite end of Halliwell. My hips and knees are bad today so I won't go look today.

Now I have worked it out on Street View, I don't know how I ever managed without street view It enables me to get an overall view of where ever I am. I like the satellite view as well as I can see the overall area.

The different car parks around the area that Street View would not let me out of all have a part view of Kent Court. It looks like it is a collection of buildings grouped round a garden. It is gated rather than on a street except for the little bit on Davonport Street. It looks quite big. The whole area has footpaths all over and keeps pedestrians and cars separate.

Sorry you lost the sun Polly, we have it now it must have moved East.

The building is owned by the council, The council owns the only share in the Housing Association, thus, sort of keeping the Housing Association's houses from being sold to tenants. Sheltered Housing was always protected from right to buy anyway.

I know it is confusing as there are thousands of small housing associations all over the country. We have about 6 or 7 in this area. The are all charities.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,681Posts Today

8,643Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Ta ta... for now. This August, as I try and do every few yrs, I'm lucky enough to be taking a sabbatical. No work,? https://t.co/Xx4R3eLhFG

• RT @lethalbrignull: @MartinSLewis I've been sitting here for a good while trying to decide my answer to this, feeling grateful for living i?

• Early days but currently it's exactly 50 50 in liberality v democracy, with younger people more liberal, older more? https://t.co/YwJr4izuIj

• Follow Martin