Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Knit Witch
    • By Knit Witch 18th Jul 17, 8:29 PM
    • 3,610Posts
    • 32,933Thanks
    Knit Witch
    The Garden Fence - proper Old Style support and chat!
    • 18th Jul 17, 8:29 PM
    The Garden Fence - proper Old Style support and chat! 18th Jul 17 at 8:29 PM
    As threads are going walkabout I thought I would start the next stage of this off - I will try and do the links later!
    Must use my stash up!
Page 281
    • burtha
    • By burtha 10th Apr 18, 12:14 AM
    • 628 Posts
    • 6,934 Thanks
    burtha
    Evening all, today's been a day of ups and downs , work was busy ,ran to pick dgd up from nursery and walked home , singing silly songs , then sorted out bedding and tried the kennel out for 3 dogs as they haven't been in it for a long time , then moved 2 sofas outside with teenage boy child as we won't be needed them and getting rid of anything I can now , then taxi service for ds , quick catch up with new dgs ,he's fab can you belive he's 3 mth old already , then boot camp , return taxi duties for ds , then it went a bit pair shaped, dogs have escaped from kennel , washing machine not draining , switched oven on for it then to trip the lights , spent the next half hour jumping up and down to the box sorting it out , now sitting on the floor with the dogs , will move one of the other sofas through tomorrow from the other sitting room .
    Waiting to hear from 3mw to solicitor about his reply and if we have to get a order to get his financial details .....
    So , will end up going to bed tonight , haven't been to bed in now nearly 10mth odd ....
    night all x
    • ivyleaf
    • By ivyleaf 10th Apr 18, 12:21 AM
    • 5,940 Posts
    • 64,560 Thanks
    ivyleaf
    Glad you are going to bed burtha x

nursemaggie Glad you're ok - I was thinking earlier that you hadn't posted for a little while but was too busy to say much this morning (or rather yesterday morning, looking at the time! I'll be interested to hear how you get on with the Shark as I'm wondering if I could afford to get my DD one. She has an elderly and heavy Dyson which her OH is forever having to mend.
    • Islandmaid
    • By Islandmaid 10th Apr 18, 6:42 AM
    • 2,936 Posts
    • 41,552 Thanks
    Islandmaid
    Sorry, rushing through again - just a medium lottery win and I would have to be inconvenienced by work

Burtha I hope things speed up soon, a c rappy divorce is like wading through treacle, but when you get to the end, the feeling of freedom is bliss (bitter sweet, but bliss) x

Have a fab day all x
    Note to self - STOP SPENDING MONEY !!
    • Hard Up Hester
    • By Hard Up Hester 10th Apr 18, 7:44 AM
    • 3,956 Posts
    • 50,511 Thanks
    Hard Up Hester
    Hugs Burtha, my divorce took two years and cost 8000, good luck.

Still raining here, the sheep in the fields are wet, the riverbank is so muddy the gang plank keeps sinking.

Trying to decide what to do to day, it's very dull and dismal, the WiFi signal is very poor and the batteries aren't holding their charge.

I may cut out some bags I can't use the sewing machine as there isn't enough going in to the solar panels. I shall run the engine for half an hour but it's too early to do that yet.

I have a book to finish but I can't download another one until I'm at DD's tomorrow babysitting.

Fingers crossed you both get what you want soon NM.
    Chin up, Titus out.
    • ivyleaf
    • By ivyleaf 10th Apr 18, 8:30 AM
    • 5,940 Posts
    • 64,560 Thanks
    ivyleaf
    That's lovely news Islandmaid! (the lottery win, not the fact that's you can't stay here long )

Hester I've been meaning to say that I was so glad you were able to keep your sewing machine - even though you can't always use it. The idea of you without your sewing machine just didn't compute x

Off on hols later so I need to pack my case this morning, but not sure what sort of time that will happen as OH is still asleep - I'd foolishly assumed he'd get up earlier than usual today I'll wake him in a while, as I can't see to do the packing with the bedroom curtains drawn. He packed his case yesterday, but I like my clothes to be squashed in a case for as short a time as possible! Goodness knows how much he's taking, but when he weighed his case he had to take a couple of things out. I'm going to try Kondo-folding my clothes.......

I'm "permanently logged in" on MSE, so I'm not sure if my green light stays on even when I'm not here. It will take me ages to catch up on all my favourite threads when I get back!

nursemaggie When I get back I very much hope you and DS will have had good news.
    • monnagran
    • By monnagran 10th Apr 18, 8:32 AM
    • 4,045 Posts
    • 54,527 Thanks
    monnagran
    morning all. Wow, burtha, you really have got the bit between your teeth, haven't you! Now that you are starting on the financial shennanigans you can expect 3mw to be doing a good impression of Oliver Twist. No money, no home, no family, no food, no prospects, November.
    Get into that bed girl, and make yourself warm and cosy. By golly, you deserve it.

Still keeping you in my thoughts nursemaggie. It's been a long hard haul for you and your DS. I suppose someone gets paid for making other people jump through hoops before they can get something as basic as a roof over their heads.

It's all go here at Chaos Headquarters. Today its shopping and organising for lunch club tomorrow. Then I'll attempt a little clean-up in the Roomof Doom where I am dumping everything ready to be sorted for packing or chucking. Tomorrow it's lunch club marathon, Thursday I have a friend coming over from England for the day, Friday I'm out for the day celebrating another friend's birthday and Saturday morning I have the next viewer turning up.
    And they call it retirement.

THOUGHT FOR TODAY

After this week I want to be taken out.................on a date or by a sniper. Either one is fine with me at this point.
    I believe that friends are quiet angels
    Who lift us to our feet when our wings
    Have trouble remembering how to fly.
    • Softstuff
    • By Softstuff 10th Apr 18, 11:09 AM
    • 3,059 Posts
    • 35,457 Thanks
    Softstuff
    Enjoy your hols Ivyleaf.

I went for my weigh in and broke the scales Actually, I'm pretty sure they were broken before I stood on them, but in any case, the end result is the same. Have to try a new weigh in location (I want the body fat % too, and my home scales aren't that accurate).

So, being miffed, went out to dinner!
    Softstuff- Officially better than 007
    • nursemaggie
    • By nursemaggie 10th Apr 18, 11:36 AM
    • 2,414 Posts
    • 32,096 Thanks
    nursemaggie
    Have a nice holiday ivyleaf.
    • Hard Up Hester
    • By Hard Up Hester 10th Apr 18, 12:26 PM
    • 3,956 Posts
    • 50,511 Thanks
    Hard Up Hester
    Love the thought for today Monna.
    Chin up, Titus out.
    • Islandmaid
    • By Islandmaid 10th Apr 18, 1:34 PM
    • 2,936 Posts
    • 41,552 Thanks
    Islandmaid
    That's lovely news Islandmaid! (the lottery win, not the fact that's you can't stay here long ).
    Originally posted by ivyleaf
    It was an 'I wish' not a win maybe one day x
    Note to self - STOP SPENDING MONEY !!
    • LameWolf
    • By LameWolf 10th Apr 18, 1:40 PM
    • 10,905 Posts
    • 119,922 Thanks
    LameWolf
    Monna I suspect that by this time tomorrow, I'd cheerfully opt for the sniper.
    The boys are being collected by their Dad in a little under an hour, and the next one doesn't arrive til 20th. Ten days dogless!! *cries*
    LameWolf
    If your dog thinks you're the best, don't seek a second opinion.
    • mardatha
    • By mardatha 10th Apr 18, 2:21 PM
    • 15,322 Posts
    • 148,905 Thanks
    mardatha
    Horrible mist and rain here. Wet miserable sheepies and poor wee lambs.
    Very bored and trying to find something I want to do.
    Well, eat sweeties mainly but haven't gotttany
    • greenbee
    • By greenbee 10th Apr 18, 3:12 PM
    • 12,889 Posts
    • 222,552 Thanks
    greenbee
    Horrible mist and rain here. Wet miserable sheepies and poor wee lambs.
    Very bored and trying to find something I want to do.
    Well, eat sweeties mainly but haven't gotttany
    Originally posted by mardatha
    Knit a dog for LW?
    • MMF007
    • By MMF007 10th Apr 18, 3:22 PM
    • 1,328 Posts
    • 29,574 Thanks
    MMF007
    Knit a dog for LW?
    Originally posted by greenbee
    I have changed my work-life balance to a life-work balance.
    • FairyPrincessk
    • By FairyPrincessk 10th Apr 18, 5:35 PM
    • 2,387 Posts
    • 25,989 Thanks
    FairyPrincessk
    Evening all,

Mar knitting a dog for LW is exactly the sort of thing I logged in for.

Our week away was nice, if a bit wet. We saw lots of things and learned a lot. We got back Friday and met up with a friend that evening and then recuperated over the weekend. I've had piles of marking to deal with since returning to work yesterday.

I must confess I haven't logged in since we got back because I'm a bit wobbly. Some very minor palpitations I've been having off and on for about a year suddenly seemed to get worse. I've seen the doctor and been booked in for a monitor to wear for a couple of days, although I stupidly forgot to ask if this would be sometime in the next week, month or .... and am now not sure when to expect the appointment. There was a mention of other tests depending on what this reveals, which I'm hoping won't be needed as they'll make me even more anxious. All logic points to stress, but my brain prefers to revel in worst case scenarios. I'm doing my best not to indulge it, but feel quite wobbly about it all if I'm honest. OH has just reluctantly gone out to meet some friends for a drink. He offered not to go, but I pointed out I'd feel wobbly either way. This way I can curl up and watch all of the episodes of terrible telly he wouldn't be able to tolerate as a distraction

I did some gardening over the weekend and the pots are all much brighter. Several of our excursions while we were away involved nice gardens so I've started a little journal to write down ideas and things that impress me...almost none of which will be possible on the small scale of any garden we will afford, but who knows what ideas might come in handy. I'm very pleased with my journal as well. I'd decided to treat myself to a 'pretty' one but didn't like any of the ones in the shop so came away with a cheap plain one. I've cut out a pretty pattern from an old wall calendar and glued it on. It now looks like it cost about three times as much

I see no bright news yet for NM--I hope there is some soon.

Burtha--I wish I had your fortitude. I admire you so much.

HUH--You sound so calm for a woman about to run out of book. I realized I'd severely underestimated when we were away and started rationing myself and then made a happy discovery that the best of the books I'd brought with me had a sequel written by the author's daughter that was on one of the cottages bookshelves. I managed to eke out another day or two of that one.

I can't do cryptic crosswords. I use as my excuse that the clues tend to be mired in cultural markers that elude me even after 11 years of residency, but I'm not sure I'd manage an American version either.

Hugs to all who need them.x
    • Hard Up Hester
    • By Hard Up Hester 10th Apr 18, 6:25 PM
    • 3,956 Posts
    • 50,511 Thanks
    Hard Up Hester
    Not really calm FPK, just faking calmness!
    It's raining here, will it ever stop, I'm sick and tired of soggy.
    Chin up, Titus out.
    • FairyPrincessk
    • By FairyPrincessk 10th Apr 18, 7:43 PM
    • 2,387 Posts
    • 25,989 Thanks
    FairyPrincessk
    Hester, some expression about ducks--serene on top and paddling like mad underneath? comes to mind regarding your pretense of calm. Unfortunately I think I usually get it the wrong way round, flailing like mad on top and sinking to the bottom underneath.

Mind, I do not act this way at work. I was once bemoaning to a colleague why other people's students all seemed to come to me with their problems (I don't mind helping, but it be nice to share the load more equally). I asked what it was about me.. She just laughed and said "You look like you get sh*t done." I always imagine you look like that given your tales about your workplace.

None of that applies to your rain problem. I told OH that we'd got everything about our break away right apart from failing to order the deluxe package on the weather. Perhaps CHS will get you a better weather package for your next birthday. Failing that, I'm sure a suede purple corset might be nice consolation
    • wondercollie
    • By wondercollie 10th Apr 18, 11:50 PM
    • 1,231 Posts
    • 9,259 Thanks
    wondercollie
    I am exhausted. It's not the early start that is killing me, it's the attitude of my coworkers.

20 patients to admit today, four nurses. Not bad you think, five each. Erm no. I started at 0600 and didn't get my first rest break until 0900 (it was supposed to be at 0745). At that point I had admitted five. One coworker was on her second. By the time we had got them all admitted I had done seven and helped with another.

The slowest is also the youngest. It is practically impossible to do anything about her because all the other wards have had her and moved her on due to her lack of knowledge, skills, and pace. The unit we are on is probably one of the worst places to put her. It used to be considered a place that only experienced nurses went, yes, it is lighter physically than the post op wards but you need to be able to keep the pace and have the knowledge of what might happen. But nothing can be done and it's pointless bringing it to management's attention because they didn't want her but was told to take her.

I'm tired. It's supposed to snow again later tonight. So the weather isn't helping my mood.

I'm longing for Spring and our tulips popping up. Still at least six weeks away. My rhubarb is under six inches of ice.

So, I read of your adventures, Hester on her canal journey. Fuddle and her allotment. Mar and Monno's stories.
    • monnagran
    • By monnagran 11th Apr 18, 6:47 AM
    • 4,045 Posts
    • 54,527 Thanks
    monnagran
    wondercollie, oh you poor thing. I remember very well what it is like to be so exhausted that you don't want even anything good to happen, you can't stand the though of anything happening at all. The trouble with having a useless colleague is not only that they don't pull their weight, but that by just being there they are blocking the place of someone who would actually do the job. Management have filled their quota of bodies in each department and think they have done their bit.
    I hope that your life apart from work gives you time to recharge your your batteries.

FairyP, now you just take things a bit slower, do you hear? You have had quite a lot of change in your life lately and it takes a toll on your energy. Every opportunity to switch off and relax should be taken. Pacing yourself is so important.
    I had to laugh at you rationing your reading on holiday to make the books last. In the days before Kindle the majority of my suitcase was taken up with books. Fortunately I can also enjoy a good tussle with cryptic crosswords and sudokus.

LW, no need to endure 10 dog less days. Very large, smelly mutt will be posted to you immediately. Said mutt is at this very moment stretched out alongside me on my bed. No need for any instructions, she will give you a sharp prod with her paw to let you know if you are failing to attend to her every need.

Right, I must be up and doing. I have to leave the house at 8..00 to catch the bus accompanied by bags full of ingredients for lunch club. Today's menu is mince, veg and hassleback potatoes, followed by bread pudding and custard The puddings are always my domain. There has to be quite a lot of sampling. Doesn't there?.

THOUGHT FOR TODAY

Don't worry about what people are saying behind your back.There is a reason that they are behind you.
    I believe that friends are quiet angels
    Who lift us to our feet when our wings
    Have trouble remembering how to fly.
    • silver-oldie
    • By silver-oldie 11th Apr 18, 7:21 AM
    • 626 Posts
    • 8,992 Thanks
    silver-oldie
    Went to visit mother yesterday. When we got home the phone rang,it was the care home, they want a meeting tomorrow afternoon. I did ask if there was a problem and they said we would talk tomorrow, Now I'm worried. I'm probably worrying about nothing but can't stop.
    If you walk at night no-one will see you cry.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

155Posts Today

1,355Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Many saying sexism or ego. My suspicion as someone who works in TV is that this is a format point. I'd think whe? https://t.co/AXfrv5YqKA

• I do always ponder when watching apprentice why Lord Sugar is "Lord Sugar" but Baroness Bradey is Karen. #bbctheapprentice

• Lord Sugar just said "she's talking like she's a 50 year old, she knows it inside out?" Genuine question if ther? https://t.co/6cZJ9d2Cni

• Follow Martin