Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Knit Witch
    • By Knit Witch 18th Jul 17, 8:29 PM
    • 3,428Posts
    • 31,279Thanks
    Knit Witch
    The Garden Fence - proper Old Style support and chat!
    • 18th Jul 17, 8:29 PM
    The Garden Fence - proper Old Style support and chat! 18th Jul 17 at 8:29 PM
    As threads are going walkabout I thought I would start the next stage of this off - I will try and do the links later!
    V3ry - 389.60
Page 280
    • Softstuff
    • By Softstuff 8th Apr 18, 10:31 PM
    • 2,861 Posts
    • 32,061 Thanks
    Softstuff
    Fuddle, sometimes things just take time and a heck of a lot of patience. Right now you have to take it easy, but you have to hold out for that light at the end of the tunnel, where your fitness and overall health improves somewhat and there's a bit of spare energy to use in something other than just getting by.

I'm thankful for the incredibly wet summer we've had. Given how neglected my garden's been, though there's plenty of weeds and lots of trimming, at least not too much has died while I haven't paid attention. I wanted the garden to be mine and mine alone, but heck, hubby has more energy than me, so he's weeding and helping too right now and I'm accepting it. Just .
    Softstuff- Officially better than 007
    • Hopefuljoy
    • By Hopefuljoy 8th Apr 18, 11:58 PM
    • 321 Posts
    • 3,782 Thanks
    Hopefuljoy
    Evening all! On the subject of thingies I have a pet floater in my eye which I can see before I put my contacts in. It's called Fred. I also have the beginnings of a cataract as a result of being so short sighted (-10) per eye. Apparently the shape of my eyeballs places a strain! Frankly the shape of my whole body places a strain!!

Sorry I've been absent for a few days. DD has had a rough week ending in a visit to A&E today. She has developed a new bout of anxiety and depression and is overwhelmed. This is her second episode and she's being scooped up by the mental health team this week. All will be well but the phase before anti depressants kick in is always dodgy. I feel very guilty as she had a rubbish childhood due to domestic abuse and it will affect her for life. She has inherited her wobbly brain from me as well.

I started my life after teaching job delivering groceries last Tuesday and it is proving enjoyable!! My muscles are tightening, I've lost 4lbs and my uniform fits!

Also I have three interviews for other jobs back in the field I was in before teaching so things are getting there. Please keep your fingers crossed for me.

If any of you are the praying type can you mention my daughter? Doesn't matter what religion you are!

Your posts are always wonderful to read and I wish you all a good week. Xx
    Last edited by Hopefuljoy; 08-04-2018 at 11:59 PM. Reason: Spelling
    This is not the end, it is only the beginning of the end....
    • pollyanna 26
    • By pollyanna 26 9th Apr 18, 12:20 AM
    • 2,126 Posts
    • 19,519 Thanks
    pollyanna 26
    Just a quick one for Hopefuljoy . I will keep you and your dd in my thoughts and send the lavender candle positive vibes to you both , Life can be hard sometimes but everyone on this thread will hold you up as they have myself and my dd . Monna will storm the gates of heaven and it always goes well xx

I'll be back either later today ( I should be in bed ) or tomorrow .

Not a chance of catching up on all the posts but love and hugs to all .

polly x
    • monnagran
    • By monnagran 9th Apr 18, 1:25 AM
    • 3,672 Posts
    • 48,573 Thanks
    monnagran
    Hopefuljoy, the storming has already begun. Between my battering the pearly gates and Polly's lavender candle, the forces of darkness have no chance. We can't promise you a miracle but it won't be for lack of trying.

So glad that your new life has started on a positive note and that you show every encouraging sign of being as soppy as the rest of us. A floater caled Fred. I love it.

Yes Silva, .I grew up hearing that saying quoted at me. In fact I myself am made entirely of flaws, stitched together with good intentions.

I've just had my first sleep-interrupted trip downstairs to let Millie out. At least I have her measure now. She used to take the opportunity for a good romp in the garden, eyes gleaming and backside wriggling with mischief while I stood shivering at the door, hissing " Will you come in," and trying not to wake all the neighbours.
    Now she knows that I will have a half inch scrap of Schmackos (tablet is still trying to work that one out) in my hand and she can't get back in fast enough.
    It will still take me ages to get back to sleep.
    Last edited by monnagran; 09-04-2018 at 4:43 AM.
    I believe that friends are quiet angels
    Who lift us to our feet when our wings
    Have trouble remembering how to fly.
    • burtha
    • By burtha 9th Apr 18, 2:23 AM
    • 612 Posts
    • 6,658 Thanks
    burtha
    Morning all,
    Why is it that you run around all weekend ,should be shattered but can't sleep , the house is freezing and I'm passed the point of caring now , haven't had the fire on since Thursday,so no hot water , good job we have an electric shower .

No intrest in the house, but early days .
    Right off to try and go to sleep , hugs to anyone that wants one x
    • Hard Up Hester
    • By Hard Up Hester 9th Apr 18, 5:50 AM
    • 3,633 Posts
    • 45,287 Thanks
    Hard Up Hester
    Hugs Burtha, thanks for posting and keeping us in the loop.
    Karcher, we need you to post regularly too.
    Nice to see Lame wolf as well.
    WiFi is bad this morning tool
    Chin up, Titus out.
    • Islandmaid
    • By Islandmaid 9th Apr 18, 6:48 AM
    • 2,551 Posts
    • 37,693 Thanks
    Islandmaid
    Running late for work (as usual) just a quick pop in to say Hi to Burtha and send Hopefuljoy a hug.

Gammon steaks and sweet potato fries tonight, both got busy days and need something quick

Toodles for now
    Note to self - STOP SPENDING MONEY !!
    • Floss
    • By Floss 9th Apr 18, 7:04 AM
    • 4,494 Posts
    • 40,133 Thanks
    Floss
    Fuddle accept digging & construction help on your plot if it is available - DH is head digger, manurer & builder on mine...means I can sit & watch /ponder!
    • silver-oldie
    • By silver-oldie 9th Apr 18, 7:23 AM
    • 398 Posts
    • 5,475 Thanks
    silver-oldie
    Hopefuljoy and Burtha you are in my thoughts.

Still not sleeping well, if only I had a switch to stop so many thoughts rushing around my mind. Mostly things I cannot change.
    If you walk at night no-one will see you cry.
    • camelot1001
    • By camelot1001 9th Apr 18, 7:27 AM
    • 3,831 Posts
    • 45,978 Thanks
    camelot1001
    Hugs to you and your DD Hopefuljoy, good to hear the MH team are on the ball.
    Take your time fuddle, once you know your limitations small victories are a tremendous boost.

I went up to my little allotment on Saturday to clear the beds and get everything ready for planting. DD has taken some beds next to mine so I did a bit there too. Hers haven't been used for a couple of years so a good bit of work to be done. Hoping it doesn't rain later as I am planning to go up and do a bit more.

I had visitors here at the weekend, we went to an evening wedding reception which was really good, caught up with lots of old friends. The Mr visitor hasn't been to this house before, he's very handy on the house front and does some fantastic woodwork in their home. Anyway, he gave his seal of approval to what's been done here so I'm a happy bunny.
    • monnagran
    • By monnagran 9th Apr 18, 9:26 AM
    • 3,672 Posts
    • 48,573 Thanks
    monnagran
    Morning all. Glad to see that some of us are up betimes and already busy. Says she from the comfort of her bed.

Silver-oldie, sorry that you are still not sleeping, it really drags you down, doesn't it? Do you have any chance of a nap during the day? Sometimes it just picks you up enough to keep going.

burtha, I wouldn't worry too much about the lack of interest in your house. The weather and the time of year has a lot to do with it. When the sun shines things may well get going again.
    Having said that, the viewing that I should have had tomorrow has just cancelled.
    Woo-hoo. I am about to tear up my extensive to-do list. It is dark, damp and dreary outside, not at all conducive to great activity so I will take it easy.

Tablet is sulking about something. It is very slow to react to my dancing fingers and keeps getting stuck. Very irritating.

THOUGHT FOR TODAY

Rabbits jump and they live for 8 years.
    Dogs run and they live for 15 years.
    Turtles do nothing and they live for 150 years.
    Lesson learned.
    • VJsmum
    • By VJsmum 9th Apr 18, 9:40 AM
    • 5,138 Posts
    • 75,596 Thanks
    VJsmum
    Morning all - I am up and on the train to London, and then Kent, to have lunch with my sister (I have free travel and can work on the train so it makes sense for me to visit her).

it's the first time i'll have done this journey since dad's funeral so a bit of a toughie mentally, but better to get it out of the way. I am not actually going to the town where dad lived, i have no real reason to go there now I have two brothers there but if we do a meet I will probably suggest somewhere more halfway.

DS has gone back to uni this morning - only 5 weeks till he finishes for the summer and he can move out of his awful flat Next year he has a house share so I hope that he will be happier. I don't think he's still smoking - i can't smell it on him and he hasn't disappeared off for half an hour like he was before.. he is also back into his fitness...

burtha, nice to see you posting... And positive vibes and good thoughts to hopeful Joy and your DD - try not to feel guilty, it wasn't you administering the abuse and you are not responsible for the actions of others... I loved my mum and dad dearly but my childhood was not ideal (though not abusive), they certainly made some mistakes but now i just think that i wouldn't like my kids to blame me for the mistakes i made so I am not blaming my parents for theirs..
    Last edited by VJsmum; 09-04-2018 at 9:42 AM.
    You're out with a friend in the capital, I'm a thousand leagues under the sea
    You're hovering worriedly over your eggs, And I'm pondering trees
    I'm wandering long, And I'm pondering trees
    For you and me
    Guy Garvey
    • LameWolf
    • By LameWolf 9th Apr 18, 11:43 AM
    • 10,467 Posts
    • 114,315 Thanks
    LameWolf
    As far as trying to remember words is concerned, I usually enjoy the big general knowledge crossword in the Saturday paper, but the last couple of weeks I've found myself quite unable to fill in a lot of answers I should know perfectly well I think it's probably to do with the hormone problem though, as it's happened quite suddenly.
    Originally posted by ivyleaf
    We do the general knowledge crossword. too; I think with GK it's often either you know or you don't; I can usually answer the clues on astronomy and Greek/Egyptian/Celtic mythology, and Mr LW usually knows the names of famous scientists/engineers/artists. I don't tend to try to remember GK stuff, as long as I know where to find it other than t'internet. The real test for me is the Cryptic crossword.
    Fuddle you're so like me. Which I know is dead scary. I went through all this stuff when I got bad ME although I was 55 which is very different from being 35. But it was a kind of rage, and it's still inside me yet now that I've got this new diagnosis. I get angry that the RV has to do so much, that I cause him a lot of worry, that I don't pull my weight, etc.
    Originally posted by mardatha
    I'm very much like that - I've been angry ever since I got my RA diagnosis, back in 1999. Then I got diagnosed with lupus in 2003, three days before my wedding!! I even asked Mr LW if he still wanted to go ahead with the wedding, given the new diagnosis, and he said he did It makes me madder than a mad thing to have to rely on him for so much, even dressing and bathing, as I've always done everything for myself (had to in my first marriage, as that lazy toad wouldn't lift a finger around the house other than to knock me about, but that's another tale) and it irks me that I'm now too much a "passenger" iyswim.

But I think in some ways the anger keeps me going; if I didn't get angry with it, I'd sink into despondency, which, for me, is more difficult to deal with.
    Was it the Mull of Kintyre?
    Originally posted by mardatha
    Another song, then? I'll get my coat.......
    If any of you are the praying type can you mention my daughter? Doesn't matter what religion you are!
    Originally posted by Hopefuljoy
    I'll invoke Isis; she's excellent at putting the broken pieces back together. x
    LameWolf
    If your dog thinks you're the best, don't seek a second opinion.
    • ivyleaf
    • By ivyleaf 9th Apr 18, 3:46 PM
    • 5,410 Posts
    • 57,848 Thanks
    ivyleaf
    LameWolf I can't do cryptic crosswords, except for the odd answer occasionally when I try out of curiosity. My late brother was ace at them, happy to tie his brain in knots! I'm so sorry to hear you have RA as well as the lupus, which I already knew about

monnagran I'm glad for you that the viewing's been cancelled. Did the EA say why?

Great to see a post from you burtha

karcher
    Hoping you're as all right as possible!

OH and I are meant to be getting stuff ready to pack for our holiday, but we had to go to one town which isn't far but an awkward journey, for a particular shoe shop, then to Bluewater so I could exchange some trousers which I'd bought a couple of weeks ago and then on trying them on at home I realised they really weren't quite long enough - it turned out they were "short" length rather than "regular", so no wonder. We didn't really do that much walking, but are both worn out now and I reached can't-put-one-foot-in-front-of-the-other mode! So a bit of a rest, I think, before I go and look out last year's summer tops and decide which to take. I expect they'll need a quick wash to freshen them up.

ETA Hopefuljoy Forgot to say I'll be praying too.
    • silvasava
    • By silvasava 9th Apr 18, 4:50 PM
    • 3,685 Posts
    • 59,191 Thanks
    silvasava
    Just a quick note to wish Hopefuljoy's daughter, Burtha & Karcher positive vibes.
    Small victories - sometimes they are all you can hope for but sometimes they are all you need - be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle
    • MMF007
    • By MMF007 9th Apr 18, 5:07 PM
    • 1,225 Posts
    • 27,598 Thanks
    MMF007
    VJsMum, it will be odd indeed. When I made the first trip to mum's after dad died in January I was fine about him not being in the house, and about sorting out and donating his clothes. It hit me when we were leaving to come home. Just mum waving us off ...

We are currently dealing with a flurry of requests from folk who want to attend his memorial lunch on 1st June. They will be coming from far and wide!

Busy day today, my arms are so tired thanks to manic vaccing, bed-making, lifting heavy shopping, and cleaning in general. I was planning a stir fry for tea but can't be bothered to chop stuff up so it'll be HM soup from the freezer
    I have changed my work-life balance to a life-work balance.
    • monnagran
    • By monnagran 9th Apr 18, 6:55 PM
    • 3,672 Posts
    • 48,573 Thanks
    monnagran
    Ivyleaf. No idea why the viewing was cancelled but there is another one by a different person for Saturday, so I've not got away with it completely.

I love a good cryptic crossword but I've always held that you have to have a devious mind to tackle them successfully. What amazes me is when you almost finish one but there is just one clue that eludes you.
    The next morning you take another look and the answer is staring you in the face.
    Why is that?
    • nursemaggie
    • By nursemaggie 9th Apr 18, 7:51 PM
    • 2,178 Posts
    • 28,729 Thanks
    nursemaggie
    Sorry I have not posted all weekend, still not got much to day. I feel like we are both just waiting to hear if we have a flat or not.

DS is being asked to produce things he just does not have and neither do I if I was asked for them. I have got my Shark stick vacuum will try it tomorrow. It came in two tall narrow boxes so I think I will pack my stash in them.
    • Softstuff
    • By Softstuff 9th Apr 18, 9:10 PM
    • 2,861 Posts
    • 32,061 Thanks
    Softstuff
    I'm just catching up, a bit pooped, and a week with a bit more work. More money, but it's that special time of the month too, so I'm a bit more tired anyway.

Good news about your son not smoking Vjsmum, seems he might have snapped out of it.

Hopefuljoy, I'm not a prayer, but sending love xxx
    Softstuff- Officially better than 007
    • pandamonium
    • By pandamonium 9th Apr 18, 11:52 PM
    • 119 Posts
    • 1,235 Thanks
    pandamonium
    Sending good vibes to all in need of them. Hopeful joy, I have an adult child with anxiety issues - I blame myself too. I need to think more like VJsmum.

Managed to get a car boot load of stuff to the CS today, but don't seem to have made that much space. Garage Tetris must continue.

Panda x
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

191Posts Today

1,617Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin