Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Knit Witch
    • By Knit Witch 18th Jul 17, 8:29 PM
    • 3,577Posts
    • 32,736Thanks
    Knit Witch
    The Garden Fence - proper Old Style support and chat!
    • 18th Jul 17, 8:29 PM
    The Garden Fence - proper Old Style support and chat! 18th Jul 17 at 8:29 PM
    As threads are going walkabout I thought I would start the next stage of this off - I will try and do the links later!
    V3ry - 389.60
Page 279
    • mardatha
    • By mardatha 7th Apr 18, 4:46 PM
    • 15,201 Posts
    • 147,346 Thanks
    mardatha
    I'm dying of terminal boredom up here. Cabin fever +++. So bored that I cleaned the cooker. *SCARY*
    • Islandmaid
    • By Islandmaid 7th Apr 18, 6:02 PM
    • 2,860 Posts
    • 41,113 Thanks
    Islandmaid
    mar Did someone tell you there was a jelly baby hidden at the back?

LW I thought similar Monna and Innocent *looks for 'snort' emoji*
    Note to self - STOP SPENDING MONEY !!
    • Hard Up Hester
    • By Hard Up Hester 7th Apr 18, 6:19 PM
    • 3,874 Posts
    • 49,421 Thanks
    Hard Up Hester
    My mind is fully sullied and defiantly guilty!

The fuel boat turned up last night so we bought coal, diesel and logs, this morning we have moved the boat through 2 locks and a swing bridge to a waterpoint where we filled up with water. We are now moored beside a field of sheep and lambs, we were having lamb shanks for lunch tomorrow but may have to move on before I start to cook them!

We had words when we finally moored, there is a 2 foot gap between the boat and the bank, CHS is reluctant to fit the gangplank in case it gets stolen!
    That's fine but I cannot jump a 2 ft gap especially with a dodgy ankle.
    Eventually I explained that I would throw the damn gangplank in the cut if he didn't fit it!

Now for a peaceful evening of reading or cards, and a lie in tomorrow.
    Chin up, Titus out.
    • monnagran
    • By monnagran 7th Apr 18, 7:19 PM
    • 3,968 Posts
    • 53,760 Thanks
    monnagran
    It's fine LW and Islandmaid, I am used to having my purity and innocence underestimated. I'm just a soul who us misunderstood.

I don't think I have ever achieved the level of boredom that makes cleaning the cooker an attractive proposition.

Hester, I once visited a friend who had a small holding. She asked me to go and feed her sheep. I had another friend with me and we trotted off, leaned over the gate into the field and my friend called out to the sheep, "Come on. Chop. Chop." The sheep were appalled and scurried off.
    Enjoy your lamb shanks. Eat them with your backs to the window.
    I believe that friends are quiet angels
    Who lift us to our feet when our wings
    Have trouble remembering how to fly.
    • Islandmaid
    • By Islandmaid 7th Apr 18, 7:37 PM
    • 2,860 Posts
    • 41,113 Thanks
    Islandmaid
    Monna You are a beautiful soul, but pure and innocent may be stretching things x

Bit worried bout MIL - took her to a church sale today, all lovely, reminded her she was coming to lunch tomorrow, she had forgotten - reiterated we were collecting her from church.

Had to call her early evening to check we had the name of a new addition to the extended family correct, said see you tomorrow, she had forgotten about lunch again.... maybe she is subtly hinting she doesn't like my cooking
    • monnagran
    • By monnagran 7th Apr 18, 8:30 PM
    • 3,968 Posts
    • 53,760 Thanks
    monnagran
    Islandmaid, did she remember the name you were after? If she did I wouldn't worry too much yet. It may be that she was focusing on other things this morning and it had temporarily slipped her mind about lunch.
    Keep your eye on the situation but don't panic unnecessarily.
    I speak as one who told a friend on the phone that I would love to see her this week but not on Tuesday because I was going out for the day. When she pointed out that it was Tuesday today, I realised that I should have been somewhere else completely.
    I was in my 40s at the time and its been downhill since then!)

I bet she loves your cooking.
    • Islandmaid
    • By Islandmaid 7th Apr 18, 8:35 PM
    • 2,860 Posts
    • 41,113 Thanks
    Islandmaid
    Monna thanks - I know it's probably what my youngest lovingly calls a 'brain fa rt', but she is so fab, I hate to see her like this x

Saying that, a majority of my conversations with DH is about thingies and what's it's - the more worrying thing is he knows exactly what I am on about !!!55358;!!!56618;
    • monnagran
    • By monnagran 7th Apr 18, 8:50 PM
    • 3,968 Posts
    • 53,760 Thanks
    monnagran
    It comes to us all. I've always been very good with names - comes of dealing with hundreds of children. However, recently I find that even with close friends, I know their Christian name but can't for the life of me remember their surname, or t'other way round. Also, I am more frequently having a word that i want to use, dancing just beyond the edges of my mind. It's just age. At least I hope that its nothing more sinister.
    • silvasava
    • By silvasava 7th Apr 18, 9:29 PM
    • 3,894 Posts
    • 62,527 Thanks
    silvasava
    Monna- my excuse is that having lived a full life and had many experiences my brain is so stuffed full it takes a while to download from my memory banks!
    Unexpected dry day here so DH gave me a hand in the garden and greenhouse. Potatoes planted ( only 5 in 2 tubs) 5 tubs filled with fresh soil/compost ready to plant tomatoes and cucumbers in the greenhouse and a raised bed weeded and dug over & replanted with the strawberries we'd dug out to get at the weeds!
    Having a chuckle at the two of us at 70+ watching the Goonies on TV - my contribution to a mad social whirl lo!!
    Small victories - sometimes they are all you can hope for but sometimes they are all you need - be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle
    • Softstuff
    • By Softstuff 7th Apr 18, 9:50 PM
    • 3,045 Posts
    • 35,256 Thanks
    Softstuff
    I'm unable to remember names of people or items when my b12 is low, it's how hubby prompts me for injections (even though it's on the calendar, my memory is a better indicator).

Hester, can he not somehow padlock it if he's so worried? Has there been a spate of gangplank theft?

I too have never reached peak oven cleaning boredom. I can't imagine ever being that bored, after all, there's always napping
    Softstuff- Officially better than 007
    • monnagran
    • By monnagran 8th Apr 18, 10:20 AM
    • 3,968 Posts
    • 53,760 Thanks
    monnagran
    I hope you are all enjoying your day of rest, (ducks below the parapet.)

Me, I have a week and a half coming up so today I have a choice to make. Do I do some of the urgent jobs and get a head start or do I take the opportunity to take it easy and build up my strength?

Another coffee and a sit down will help me make up my mind.

Oh, heck. Pass me that book

Having got this thread back up the leader board I'll leave you with

THOUGHT FOR SUNDAY

Churches are good for prayer, but so are garages and cars and mountains and showers and bus stops and dance floors..
    • Hard Up Hester
    • By Hard Up Hester 8th Apr 18, 12:22 PM
    • 3,874 Posts
    • 49,421 Thanks
    Hard Up Hester
    Softstuff, he intends to padlock it eventually but it is a case of when he gets aroundtuit! It is an expensive gangplank as it doubles as a rescue ladder, however if it was needed to rescue someone he would probably refuse to get it wet!
    It raining here, my kindle is almost flat, there isn't enough coming through the solar to put it on charge so if I disappear mid post you will know why.
    This morning there was a weasel on the bank by the kitchen window, so beautiful but I know they are ruthless killers.
    Chin up, Titus out.
    • LameWolf
    • By LameWolf 8th Apr 18, 12:57 PM
    • 10,797 Posts
    • 118,737 Thanks
    LameWolf
    It's fine LW and Islandmaid, I am used to having my purity and innocence underestimated. I'm just a soul who us misunderstood.
    Originally posted by monnagran
    I feel a song coming on.....

"Cos I'm just a soul whose intentions are good;
    Oh Lord, please don't let me be misunderstood...."

Ok, how many of you now have that as an earworm?
    I don't think I have ever achieved the level of boredom that makes cleaning the cooker an attractive proposition.
    Originally posted by monnagran
    I have. Frequently. I have also rage-cleaned the oven before now.
    Monna thanks - I know it's probably what my youngest lovingly calls a 'brain fa rt', but she is so fab, I hate to see her like this x

Saying that, a majority of my conversations with DH is about thingies and what's it's - the more worrying thing is he knows exactly what I am on about !!!55358;!!!56618;
    Originally posted by Islandmaid
    Oh I love the "brain fart" comment. So much more colourful than the usual "brainfog".

My conversations with Mr LW either entail a lot of "dogberry firkins" or else I'm going "oh, come on, what's the word I want?" and expecting him to supply it. You have to laugh or you'd cry!
    LameWolf
    If your dog thinks you're the best, don't seek a second opinion.
    • fuddle
    • By fuddle 8th Apr 18, 1:36 PM
    • 6,541 Posts
    • 100,371 Thanks
    fuddle
    Oh if only I could clean the oven

Hello all, long time no type. Hello to our new friends and Lame Wolf it's great to see you propping the fence up too.

Basically we were at the caravan all week until Friday. Every weather imaginable occured. The snow came thick and fast where I was but didn't lie although we had 2 days caravan bound as sommuch wet stuff had fallen that cars were having to be towed off the grass by the tractor. I mean, we're preppers so we just hunkered down and save ourselves the embarrassment. The last day though wow, spring was had. We wandered to the southern most point of Scotland. Cliffs. The name has escaped me. Mull Something, or Something Mull. Help me out? So embarrassing!

Unfortunately, although health wise I improve all the time, I am beat. I've lost all my fitness and scared to push it because I haven't had the all clear. Walking when I was away brought back those twinges so it has dawned on me that this is going to be long, one step forwards and two steps back.

I have been sad all weekend and I feel my mental health dwindle. Normally when I get like this I'm up and doing, anything and everything. I'm frustrated and scared because I don't do that this time. But I have a plan...

I'm going to set to researching one pot meals that I can 'chuck in and leave to cook' which will take me ages (a good thing, remember busy ) because I want it to be nutritionally sound for us all.

Then I want to suss out that fermented spelt loaf I saw a few weeks back so I can make our ever other daily bread with the hope that it will be a bit easier on my digestion and I can do something that is 'roll up your selves' OS just to appease my frustration.

I want to do some kondo'ing this next week as less stuff means less clutter, washing, cleaning etc. All people persons will be doing this for their kit.

Then I'm going to work out a housework rota and get the girls to help out more. It will do them good (although there will be moans) and it will help me out, giving me more time and energy for working the plot.

And in the short term I will try to get my crafting mojo back. I need to finish knitting a cardigan then I want to crochet a loose fitting bobble jumper.

So I may be sat and indulging in my poor mood but at least I recognise a problem and trying to work out a way around it. Tomorrow will be the start of my new life and I'll learn to embrace it.
    Be like a tree.
    Stay grounded. Connect with your roots. Turn over a new leaf.
    Bend before you break. Enjoy your natural beauty. Keep growing.
    • ivyleaf
    • By ivyleaf 8th Apr 18, 7:21 PM
    • 5,830 Posts
    • 63,366 Thanks
    ivyleaf
    Aw, fuddle It will take as long as it takes, so be kind to yourself and try to be patient xx

LW That went through my head too (the song), and probably through monnagran's too

As far as trying to remember words is concerned, I usually enjoy the big general knowledge crossword in the Saturday paper, but the last couple of weeks I've found myself quite unable to fill in a lot of answers I should know perfectly well I think it's probably to do with the hormone problem though, as it's happened quite suddenly.
    • mardatha
    • By mardatha 8th Apr 18, 7:34 PM
    • 15,201 Posts
    • 147,346 Thanks
    mardatha
    Fuddle you're so like me. Which I know is dead scary. I went through all this stuff when I got bad ME although I was 55 which is very different from being 35. But it was a kind of rage, and it's still inside me yet now that I've got this new diagnosis. I get angry that the RV has to do so much, that I cause him a lot of worry, that I don't pull my weight, etc.
    In the end though we have to sit back, breathe, smile, and just get on with our lives at a slower gentler pace xx. And I'm glad you enjoyed our lovely balmy Scottish spring.
    Was it the Mull of Kintyre? I've never been there, I'm scared of that lot over there in the Wild and Woolly west, they're all mad!
    • pollie67
    • By pollie67 8th Apr 18, 7:48 PM
    • 28 Posts
    • 40 Thanks
    pollie67
    Hi. I usually just lurk and read along but Fuddle was it the Mull of Galloway you visited?
    • fuddle
    • By fuddle 8th Apr 18, 8:11 PM
    • 6,541 Posts
    • 100,371 Thanks
    fuddle
    Not Kintyre Mar, pollie67 you were right. It was Mull of Galloway. Stunning in the sunshine it was. Not much of a walk once we drove up there but with sun, grass, sea and the promising glint of heather to come, we will be back!

I don't think I'm angry Mar I'm hopeful I can get back to full cat power once the inflammation dies down but I'm aware this has been festering for such a long time so I am prepared for the results of the MRI (when I get the date of the scan through ) to burst that bubble. I'll be alright. I am lucky that we don't rely on me financially and that I can take it easy really. DH is having to do so much of my allotment prep though and that does make me angry. The allotment is my domain and I wanted to be independent in that. Still, small thing to be worked up over eh?
    Be like a tree.
    Stay grounded. Connect with your roots. Turn over a new leaf.
    Bend before you break. Enjoy your natural beauty. Keep growing.
    • monnagran
    • By monnagran 8th Apr 18, 8:29 PM
    • 3,968 Posts
    • 53,760 Thanks
    monnagran
    Oh, darling, darling Fuddle, how I am with you on all this reorganizing your life business. I love it! I am never happier than organising my diet, planning a great declutter and making cleaning schedules. I give myself goals and steps to achieve them and equip myself with helpful books.

That's usually as far as it gets. As LW says, "My intentions are good." They just never translate into action. I'm sure that you are much more diligent than me and will follow through with all your plans.

Ivyleaf and LW, yes the song has been running through my head on a loop ever since I wrote that post.

mar is right, we just have to cope with whatever life throws at us, however cross it makes us. I've been lucky in that the slowing up didn't start for me until very recently and is due to age, nothing more interesting. I'm seriously annoyed though. I really thought that I was going to be different from other elderly people, but to my dismay I find that I am actually just a cliche. No different at all.

Anyway, decrepit or not this house has to have a good going over as I have another viewing on Tuesday. I moaned to the EA that I thought I had finished with all that now I'd accepted an offer, but he was very brisk with me and said that in view of the disappointments I'd had he was not going to take the house off the market until negotiations were a lot further down the line. I know it makes sense and he is really looking after me, but I am bored with this now. Added to which I can't find anything I like in the right location at the right price.

I'm following kittie's progress on other threads, as she is going through the same process and with the same difficulties. I did go to look at one bungalow that looked possible. However, the whole point of buying a bungalow was to do without stairs and this one had about 3 dozen broken, twisting, concrete steps from the road down to the front door. How I want one of those cameras that EAs use. The spacious rooms turned out to be so small I would have to join Claustrophobics Anonymous. The garden was full of sheds. Truly, about 5 huge sheds. There was barely room for a clothes line. No, thanks.

Never mind. As Mr Micawber said, "Something will turn up."
    • silvasava
    • By silvasava 8th Apr 18, 10:06 PM
    • 3,894 Posts
    • 62,527 Thanks
    silvasava
    Monna my gran used to say the road to hell is paved with good intentions!
    Small victories - sometimes they are all you can hope for but sometimes they are all you need - be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

36Posts Today

3,313Users online

Martin's Twitter