Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Knit Witch
    • By Knit Witch 18th Jul 17, 8:29 PM
    • 3,427Posts
    • 31,265Thanks
    Knit Witch
    The Garden Fence - proper Old Style support and chat!
    • 18th Jul 17, 8:29 PM
    The Garden Fence - proper Old Style support and chat! 18th Jul 17 at 8:29 PM
    As threads are going walkabout I thought I would start the next stage of this off - I will try and do the links later!
    V3ry - 389.60
Page 241
    • nursemaggie
    • By nursemaggie 14th Mar 18, 11:57 AM
    • 2,176 Posts
    • 28,705 Thanks
    nursemaggie
    Hi Wendy

There is a tread on mortgages. Someone may be able to answer your question on here but they will be a lot more knowledgeable on the right thread.

I have not had a mortgage for a long time I rent. You may be better off starting with a new one. It is my experience that when a builder says a development will be late, it is often delayed more than once.
    • pollyanna 26
    • By pollyanna 26 14th Mar 18, 12:02 PM
    • 2,126 Posts
    • 19,519 Thanks
    pollyanna 26
    Wendy if you look at the list of forums there is an Essential money section at the top .
    Mortgages and Endowments . House buying , renting and selling will be the best places to look at .
    polly
    • nannywindow
    • By nannywindow 14th Mar 18, 2:40 PM
    • 738 Posts
    • 9,909 Thanks
    nannywindow
    Silvasaver I just read your post as rum and raisin jelly babies and got quite excited . I must get my eyes tested a.s.a.p . Anyway the thought cheered me up after the cr*p week I'm having and it's only Wednesday .
    Ginny hope you're feeling better after your fall. DH and I were walking on the seafront quite a few years ago when an elderly lady fell and hit her head, right outside a yacht club. There was blood everywhere. DH and I stopped to help whilst all the people at the yacht club looked on, not one of them helped . We even had to shout at people to call an ambulance as we didn't have a mobile phone then .
    I too was thinking of Burtha, I hope she's doing OK.
    Hugs to all
    nan xx
    Failure is simply the opportunity to begin again, but this time more intelligently
    • mardatha
    • By mardatha 14th Mar 18, 3:12 PM
    • 14,808 Posts
    • 141,259 Thanks
    mardatha
    Softstuff - are you taking steroids? If so then a low carb low sugar diet is a must to keep the weight under control. Plus portion size etc.
    • Softstuff
    • By Softstuff 14th Mar 18, 8:32 PM
    • 2,861 Posts
    • 32,034 Thanks
    Softstuff
    Softstuff - are you taking steroids? If so then a low carb low sugar diet is a must to keep the weight under control. Plus portion size etc.
    Originally posted by mardatha
    No Mardatha, I was on a steroid inhaler some months ago for about a week after the cough I couldn't resolve, but I can hardly blame that now I think I'll give it the 8 weeks as listed, then if no go, maybe another visit to the docs is in order. For that and the sleeping.
    Softstuff- Officially better than 007
    • nursemaggie
    • By nursemaggie 14th Mar 18, 8:57 PM
    • 2,176 Posts
    • 28,705 Thanks
    nursemaggie
    DS decided to look at flats today. He made a mistake and forgot to click on rent. He found a lovely flat in a good position he could afford then he noticed it was for sale. He did a mortgage calculator and found he could gt a bigger mortgage than he needed.

He tried his own bank fine then he tried HSBC and they wanted 2 years pay slips. His own bank had not asked that but of course they will if he actually applied.We decided he may be able to afford one in a couple of years. We had not allowed for the enormous fees the banks want for legal fees. I don't ever remember anything anywhere near that 2500 plus another fee on top. That halved his deposit.

He has found a nice rented flat for himself so we have agreed he will rent a flat and I will apply for sheltered housing. If I took one in the block I suggested before it would take me about 7 minutes to get to his and him about two to mine. I will only go for that building if I can get one at the back and they have a lift. I think I have found and evangelical church near by. This could all be the reason it was so slow.

We discussed it all day so he went to bed a bit late. We are going to look at a flat for him tomorrow. I think it would be a good thing for him to live on his own.

Soft stuff I usually find I am very slow to get going on a diet but I lose it steadily once I get going while others lose a lot then put it back on and are up and down like yo yos.
    • karcher
    • By karcher 14th Mar 18, 9:00 PM
    • 1,853 Posts
    • 17,174 Thanks
    karcher
    I'm really in need of a fence to support me.

I spent most of last night sobbing and not sleeping (no change there!). I've been unjustly maligned and I can't do right for doing wrong.

I am happy to accept all my faults but this is completely unjust.

I can't explain in full what with this being a public forum..but you Fencers are legendary for your collective support.

So please help..you have no idea how much I need some help and support right now xx
    • monnagran
    • By monnagran 14th Mar 18, 9:03 PM
    • 3,672 Posts
    • 48,544 Thanks
    monnagran
    Mar, I am very impressed to hear you talking about low sugar diets. I had no idea that you had even heard of such a thing, let alone be recommending them.

And what's this about furnishing softstuff with an excuse for putting on weight? I'll have you know that I am also under the doctor, though unfortunately not the young fishy one. Or even the dishy one - thanks tablet.
    I am on a strict diet of doughnuts, crumpets topped with melted cheese, pork pies with chips and fudgy brownies with clotted cream.
    The one thing I have to avoid at all costs, is hunger. At the first suspicion of a hunger pang I have to I have to rush to the biscuit tin and swallow a whole packet of custard creams. If none of that works I'm to be given a prescription for chocolate digestives.

It's a hard life being an outrageous liar.

Sorry about the red house nm. I was looking forward to hearing what you would do with it, but good news about the Attendance Allowance. Good idea to use it up at once. They are very good at giving with one hand and taking away with the other..
    I believe that friends are quiet angels
    Who lift us to our feet when our wings
    Have trouble remembering how to fly.
    • karcher
    • By karcher 14th Mar 18, 9:04 PM
    • 1,853 Posts
    • 17,174 Thanks
    karcher
    DS decided to look at flats today. He made a mistake and forgot to click on rent. He found a lovely flat in a good position he could afford then he noticed it was for sale. He did a mortgage calculator and found he could gt a bigger mortgage than he needed.

He tried his own bank fine then he tried HSBC and they wanted 2 years pay slips. His own bank had not asked that but of course they will if he actually applied.We decided he may be able to afford one in a couple of years. We had not allowed for the enormous fees the banks want for legal fees. I don't ever remember anything anywhere near that 2500 plus another fee on top. That halved his deposit.

He has found a nice rented flat for himself so we have agreed he will rent a flat and I will apply for sheltered housing. If I took one in the block I suggested before it would take me about 7 minutes to get to his and him about two to mine. I will only go for that building if I can get one at the back and they have a lift. I think I have found and evangelical church near by. This could all be the reason it was so slow.

We discussed it all day so he went to bed a bit late. We are going to look at a flat for him tomorrow. I think it would be a good thing for him to live on his own.
    Originally posted by nursemaggie
    That is great news NM xx
    • monnagran
    • By monnagran 14th Mar 18, 9:14 PM
    • 3,672 Posts
    • 48,544 Thanks
    monnagran
    Terrific nm.

Karcher, watch your emails.
    I believe that friends are quiet angels
    Who lift us to our feet when our wings
    Have trouble remembering how to fly.
    • nursemaggie
    • By nursemaggie 14th Mar 18, 9:22 PM
    • 2,176 Posts
    • 28,705 Thanks
    nursemaggie
    Did we cross posts Monna?

If I had to eat that lot in a day I would be sick from all that fat. Chips and pork pie, a whole pkt of custard creams. I'd be sick on just one.

I think I will just have the donuts, are they cream ones or jam ones or can I have both?
    • Softstuff
    • By Softstuff 14th Mar 18, 9:23 PM
    • 2,861 Posts
    • 32,034 Thanks
    Softstuff
    Huge hugs Karcher. There's nothing worse than being unfairly maligned I hope that something improves for you soon. Is there anyone who can set things straight?

I think that's good news Nursemaggie. And his need for independence might explain his reluctance to look at houses. It could be really good for the both of you, you getting peace, quiet and support, and him learning to stand on his own two feet independently.

Monna, I assumed that low cal, low carb diets were something Mardatha had heard of but didn't believe were really real... like unicorns, or life sized jelly babies Much as I know (via my friends daughter), that unicorns poop rainbows and vomit glitter, I don't expect I'll be able to ride one The doctor I'm seeing is frankly a good example. Well over 60 but looks about 40 and is a member of a local rowing team. He is, as the young'uns say, ripped.
    Softstuff- Officially better than 007
    • karcher
    • By karcher 14th Mar 18, 9:27 PM
    • 1,853 Posts
    • 17,174 Thanks
    karcher
    Terrific nm.

Karcher, watch your emails.
    Originally posted by monnagran
    I have. Thank you Monna xxx
    • nursemaggie
    • By nursemaggie 14th Mar 18, 9:28 PM
    • 2,176 Posts
    • 28,705 Thanks
    nursemaggie
    Floss will be on soon telling you she has PM'd you karcher.

Now what you need is one of us to chat all day with PM's and then do something completely different like DS and I. If he had not forgotten to click rent we would never have had to long discussion on him getting a flat. He will still have to go on the local link but now it will be only 5 minutes to the bus station in stead of 40mins.
    • Bigjenny
    • By Bigjenny 14th Mar 18, 9:31 PM
    • 528 Posts
    • 5,714 Thanks
    Bigjenny
    karcher have a dodgy hug from us, and we are here with the elephant, our rolling pins and aprons at the ready if you need us.
    "When one door closes another door opens; but we so often look so long and so regretfully upon the closed door, that we do not see the ones which open for us" Alexander Graham Bell
    • Floss
    • By Floss 14th Mar 18, 9:41 PM
    • 4,494 Posts
    • 40,116 Thanks
    Floss
    Floss will be on soon telling you she has PM'd you karcher....
    You took the words out of my fingers NM!

Karcher give me 15 minutes to get it writted
    • MMF007
    • By MMF007 14th Mar 18, 10:02 PM
    • 1,222 Posts
    • 27,577 Thanks
    MMF007
    NM great news about getting attendance allowance, about time too!!
    I have to say I was wondering if your DS was subconsciously dragging his heels. If you get sheltered accommodation and he gets a flat he can have spread his wings while still looking out for you. Glad you both had a really good talk about it.

Softstuff, my diet stalled due to the chaos when my dad was so poorly. I am maintaining my weight loss but need to get my act together and begin further reduction! Unfortunately I have spent this evening dealing with more paperwork to help mum so exercise was cerebral rather than physical. Doh.

Karcher, sweetheart, please have this huge virtual hug (((((0)))))) and a box of virtual tissues with soothing balm in them.
    I know what you mean about being maligned. It is so wrong when blame is doled out inappropriately and I, too, have a tendancy to take it to heart. But why? Essentially because we hate injustice!
    Can you set out in writing to the other party (or preferably their superior) why they are wrong in their accusations, simply so you get to have your say in a calm considered way.

Don't get angry, get even! By detailing what is actually the case, you will be showing up your 'accuser' for what they are. And i bet there are folks that already know the true nature of the person concerned who may well come out of the woodwork once the matter is exposed.

Don't forget, us Fencers, a dainty elephant, and Nursey have got your back. xx
    I have changed my work-life balance to a life-work balance.
    • karcher
    • By karcher 14th Mar 18, 10:06 PM
    • 1,853 Posts
    • 17,174 Thanks
    karcher
    Floss will be on soon telling you she has PM'd you karcher.

Now what you need is one of us to chat all day with PM's and then do something completely different like DS and I. If he had not forgotten to click rent we would never have had to long discussion on him getting a flat. He will still have to go on the local link but now it will be only 5 minutes to the bus station in stead of 40mins.
    NM I read your posts and all I want is a better life for you and your son. I so hope you find a happy medium soon x
    • mardatha
    • By mardatha 14th Mar 18, 10:12 PM
    • 14,808 Posts
    • 141,259 Thanks
    mardatha
    BigJenny you're out of date pet. We haven't got an elephant. I ettit.
    Monna and Softstuff - I do eat low carb and I try to eat low sugar. This is the problem lol. DEPRIVATION!
    • nursemaggie
    • By nursemaggie 14th Mar 18, 10:14 PM
    • 2,176 Posts
    • 28,705 Thanks
    nursemaggie
    Thank you karcher. I think MMF007has a very good suggestion there. I could have done with that advice when I was bullied at work. I was very young and the internet was 40 years away.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

420Posts Today

4,985Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin