Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Knit Witch
    • By Knit Witch 18th Jul 17, 8:29 PM
    • 3,428Posts
    • 31,277Thanks
    Knit Witch
    The Garden Fence - proper Old Style support and chat!
    • 18th Jul 17, 8:29 PM
    The Garden Fence - proper Old Style support and chat! 18th Jul 17 at 8:29 PM
    As threads are going walkabout I thought I would start the next stage of this off - I will try and do the links later!
    V3ry - 389.60
Page 240
    • Floss
    • By Floss 13th Mar 18, 2:55 PM
    • 4,494 Posts
    • 40,131 Thanks
    Floss
    Fuddle this is why we have seats on our allotments - so we can sit & ponder while having a breather in the sun
    • MrsLurcherwalker
    • By MrsLurcherwalker 13th Mar 18, 4:02 PM
    • 11,655 Posts
    • 162,172 Thanks
    MrsLurcherwalker
    Well done FUDS, hopefully your Cardiologist is a down to earth and sensible person who will do all that needs to be done to get the best for you and get you as well and fit as is possible. So pleased it was such a positive appointment. Maybe you'll sleep a little easier tonight lovey xxx.
    Thumpers mum was right - if you can't find anything nice to say don't say anything at all!
    • silvasava
    • By silvasava 13th Mar 18, 4:21 PM
    • 3,685 Posts
    • 59,190 Thanks
    silvasava
    Good news Fuds - keep calm & carry on!!
    I'm somewhat peed off. Ive had my milk delivered for over 40 years and paid by monthly DD. Never been any problem. Now Muller have taken over and they want to bill weekly in advance by my debit or credit card. I have no problem with paying in advance its just the method - what protection is there if I use my debit card? I'm seriously thinking of cancelling completely.
    Small victories - sometimes they are all you can hope for but sometimes they are all you need - be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle
    • nursemaggie
    • By nursemaggie 13th Mar 18, 4:44 PM
    • 2,178 Posts
    • 28,724 Thanks
    nursemaggie
    don't use your credit card silva you can't stop it if they stop delivering.

I would send them a letter, but you know me after that it would go wrong. I would probably stop getting my milk and find they denied not delivering.
    • westcoastscot
    • By westcoastscot 13th Mar 18, 4:52 PM
    • 1,385 Posts
    • 17,108 Thanks
    westcoastscot
    Ginny that sounds horrid! glad it wasn't as serious as it might have been.
    Fuddle, looks like you're moving in the right direction and have a partial answer which is great. Try and not worry, and relax until the next round of tests. will be thinking of you :-)
    • silvasava
    • By silvasava 13th Mar 18, 5:07 PM
    • 3,685 Posts
    • 59,190 Thanks
    silvasava
    NM - its probably some whiz kid whose decided its a great idea - not! I could quite easily get my milk from the SM and more cheaply but my thinking was a) its keeps someone in employment b) sometimes its only the milkman who sees if there is anything amiss with his regulars and c) I can afford it and its convenient.
    I'm all for change and keeping up with the times/technology but I do think this was not thought out with the consequences
    Small victories - sometimes they are all you can hope for but sometimes they are all you need - be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle
    • carolbee
    • By carolbee 13th Mar 18, 6:18 PM
    • 992 Posts
    • 6,742 Thanks
    carolbee
    FUDDLE

just seen word of the day on FB reading addict page is .... fuddle!
    Carolbee
    • camelot1001
    • By camelot1001 13th Mar 18, 6:44 PM
    • 3,831 Posts
    • 45,976 Thanks
    camelot1001
    So glad that one lady came to help Ginny, what a terrible world we live in. I hope you feel better soon.

Sounds like a good appt fuddle, bet you sleep well tonight.

Is that meant to be progress silva? I can see plenty going wrong there, especially when you have holidays, change your order, etc.

I'm looking forward to an early night, I've come over all tired!
    • Softstuff
    • By Softstuff 13th Mar 18, 9:14 PM
    • 2,861 Posts
    • 32,054 Thanks
    Softstuff
    Sounds like good progress Fuddle, and though myocarditis sounds complicated (cos it's a long word we don't type often), in my limited knowledge it can be self limiting (takes a while) or sorted with medication. At the very least, you'd have an answer and some idea. Not sure if you've had an MRI before, but they're not bad, just a bit noisy.

Silvasava, I give out my debit card details without much worry.... but there's never much money in that account and I keep an eye on it. I wouldn't be overly concerned myself, but I appreciate where you're coming from. I'd love a milkman here, but no do.

I get weighed today. I'm on day 11 of new way of eating. Hopefully I don't attack the scales in the chemist with a large branch like Basil fawlty and his mini
    Softstuff- Officially better than 007
    • MMF007
    • By MMF007 13th Mar 18, 9:29 PM
    • 1,224 Posts
    • 27,594 Thanks
    MMF007
    Oh Ginny, that sounds painful and scary. Glad you are recovering and hope your ears are still quiet!

Fuddle, good result today! Once the medics know what they are dealing with they can crack on with a treatment plan and now you can stop going round in circles while fighting for an answer (((0))). BTW, one of my work colleagues was diagnosed with myocarditis nearly 6 years ago. For a while he was put on light duties, but now he is back to full capacity. He has an annual check up to make sure the condition hasn't worsened.

Been a funny old day. I have been packing for the impending visit to mum, which we are looking forward to. I have also been sorting some domestic admin (repeat prescription, some bills to pay and a form to fill in), and ringing round my clients to get their shopping lists so I can do that tomorrow. Then, out of the blue an elderly friend rang and asked if I was going to the bank. "Not planning to, but I will do if you want me to, why?", says I. Well, she says, there is a cheque here for you. I was puzzled about this because I am not owed any money.
    Well, it turns out that a lovely gent who lived across the road from my friend (and was really her life partner although they didn"t ever share a home), has left me some money in his will.
    It was a massive surprise.
    I have been quite jittery all afternoon because I was taken totally by surprise and now I want to say thank you to him but.....well obvs he's not here.
    It's not a lot of money but I am so touched. The first thing i think I'll do is treat us all to fish & chips and raise a glass to him because we always had a little joke about that.
    Can you tell I am in shock?
    I have changed my work-life balance to a life-work balance.
    • monnagran
    • By monnagran 13th Mar 18, 9:46 PM
    • 3,672 Posts
    • 48,567 Thanks
    monnagran
    MMF that is the very best sort of surprise. We always called money that arrived as a surprise, "Pennies from Heaven" and it was to be spent on something completely indulgent.
    Fish and chips certainly comes into that category.

Softstuff. Weighing machines can be bribed. Did you not know that?
    I hope it is a discreet machine in the chemist. It's not a 'Speak your Weight' one is it? I used to get on one of those in terror, sure that it would boom out, "One at a time, please." To a shopful of interested customers.
    I believe that friends are quiet angels
    Who lift us to our feet when our wings
    Have trouble remembering how to fly.
    • ginnyknit
    • By ginnyknit 13th Mar 18, 10:22 PM
    • 3,577 Posts
    • 42,242 Thanks
    ginnyknit
    Thank you all for your kindness. Yes Fuddle my confidence did take a blow but am doing better and did go out yesterday on my own. My black eye has gone now which helps as it was a reminder. I'm like a cat but am seriously running out of lives now so must take care

Lyn, I'm so glad you are moving nearer the family, so many more cuddles to be had xx

Fuddle thank goodness they are getting somewhere now, I would hate to think of anything stopping you from getting on. Is your caravan at 3 lochs site by any chance?

Well best get sorted, Dgd is here tomorrow or Chatty Kathy as she could be known Dgd is doing well and actually made pizza dough, with yeast for tea. His special school is amazing and he is coming on in leaps and bounds.

I also have to make some space as a 'box' of charity squares is on its way and I have a feeling box is an understatement. Can you post wardrobes full of knitting Oh well its worth it.
    Running on optimism
    C.R.A.P.R.O.L.L.Z#3 camp fire coffee drinker
    Mantra for 2015 - Leave that purse shut.

• ivyleaf
    • By ivyleaf 13th Mar 18, 10:23 PM
    • 5,410 Posts
    • 57,839 Thanks
    ivyleaf
    MMF how lovely

fuddle
    So glad you've had some answers at last and that it looks as if you're in good hands now xx

Ginnyknit
    Lovely to hear that your grandchildren are getting on well I'm glad your black eye's healed.
    Last edited by ivyleaf; 13-03-2018 at 10:26 PM.
    • Softstuff
    • By Softstuff 14th Mar 18, 7:59 AM
    • 2,861 Posts
    • 32,054 Thanks
    Softstuff

Softstuff. Weighing machines can be bribed. Did you not know that?
    I hope it is a discreet machine in the chemist. It's not a 'Speak your Weight' one is it? I used to get on one of those in terror, sure that it would boom out, "One at a time, please." To a shopful of interested customers.
    Originally posted by monnagran
    It is discreet, but it lies and I have fallen out with it. Simple math says that when your calories in are less than your calories out, weight should be lost. This machine disagrees, so I am not going to stand on it again

I can only assume, that one of the reasons I'm not sleeping is my skinny husband is stuffing all the fat he should be gaining from eating 3-4 times as much as me into my thighs. That, or I am simply such a metabolic sloth that even Dr Michael Mosley would despair. I am once more mildly disheartened, but intend to plough on regardless. After all, there really isn't anything I can do to lose weight other than eat healthily in measured portions and move more, so I will.

In all seriousness, I suspect the higher cortisol levels I currently have are causing the problem. But it's a catch 22, I need to drop weight to drop the cortisol....
    • monnagran
    • By monnagran 14th Mar 18, 9:42 AM
    • 3,672 Posts
    • 48,567 Thanks
    monnagran
    softstuff, good for you. Making a stand against cheating scales that display numbers that we don't recognise and fall far short of our expectations, is what its all about.
    I also have the metabolic rate of a sloth. Not only the metabolic rate either, my very nature is distressingly sloth-like. In fact I'm designing my own coat-of-arms. It features a soft, downy bed with sloth recumbent, dormouse rampant, surmounted by a cupcake and surrounded by a background of rum and raisin ice cream. It's a work in progress.

I don't know what I will be doing today. It can't be less than I did yesterday so anything will be an improvement.. I will report back later.

Tell you what, I'm very worried about burtha. Sometimes people disappear for a while and you just wonder why, but knowing what burtha was going through her silence is concerning. I know other people have begged her to post but burtha, if you ever read this, you don't have to go into details. Just a simple, "I'm OK," will be enough.

THOUGHT FOR TODAY

Look up at the stars, not down at your feet. (Stephen Hawking. R.I.P)
    Last edited by monnagran; 14-03-2018 at 9:50 AM.
    I believe that friends are quiet angels
    Who lift us to our feet when our wings
    Have trouble remembering how to fly.
    • Softstuff
    • By Softstuff 14th Mar 18, 9:58 AM
    • 2,861 Posts
    • 32,054 Thanks
    Softstuff
    Ah Monna, I knew I could rely on you to give me the motivation to try out the new design software on my laptop But I do wish you wouldn't mention rum and raisin ice cream right now. If you think Mardatha would mug someone for sweeties, you have simply no idea what I'd do for a tub of the finest. I have an ice cream maker due to be delivered this week. I aim to make low carb non dairy ice cream. And I am a woman on a mission.

I'm worried about Burtha too. Does anyone know her or is able to contact her IRL?
    • silvasava
    • By silvasava 14th Mar 18, 10:06 AM
    • 3,685 Posts
    • 59,190 Thanks
    silvasava
    Monna - you have put my thoughts in to words - also concerned for Burtha.
    OOohh - Rum & Raisin - swop it for any amount of Jelly Babies
    • ivyleaf
    • By ivyleaf 14th Mar 18, 11:04 AM
    • 5,410 Posts
    • 57,839 Thanks
    ivyleaf
    Worried about burtha here too Hopefully she will be able to come back soon to let us know she's ok.
    • nursemaggie
    • By nursemaggie 14th Mar 18, 11:10 AM
    • 2,178 Posts
    • 28,724 Thanks
    nursemaggie
    After tasting the ice cream made in the place where DD lives anyone else's is just bland. I think I like the cherry one best but I also like the strawberry one. No I certainly don't like rum and raisin. They have about 40 flavours and make quite a few sugar free. It's diabetic so I think the calories are still in it. I have one every day when I'm there but I still lose weight while I am there. Must be because the hills are worse than here.

The red house is gone and this weeks crop of houses are all at least 5 miles further away. I knew it when DS refused to go house hunting again last week.

Good news I have been awarded Attendance allowance the full thing. I did not expect to get it all. I will get it dated back to January so I think I will pay for my funeral before I lose my housing benefit. If I lose it I will be weeks getting it back and that is all that will happen I will lose it four or five times a year and then have to wait weeks to get it back losing out buy a couple of months each time.
    • Wendy Lawson
    • By Wendy Lawson 14th Mar 18, 11:44 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 9 Thanks
    Wendy Lawson
    Taking an existing mortgage to a new build
    We currently have a mortgage which is a two year fixed and would like it transferred to the new build which we are buying. We have another year to go but understand that there is only a three month portability period. We were well in time of this, but the builder has just informed us that the development will be delayed by a further three months which will take us out of our portability period. Any help would be most appreciated.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4Posts Today

4,001Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin