Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Knit Witch
    • By Knit Witch 18th Jul 17, 8:29 PM
    • 3,434Posts
    • 31,337Thanks
    Knit Witch
    The Garden Fence - proper Old Style support and chat!
    • 18th Jul 17, 8:29 PM
    The Garden Fence - proper Old Style support and chat! 18th Jul 17 at 8:29 PM
    As threads are going walkabout I thought I would start the next stage of this off - I will try and do the links later!
    V3ry - 389.60
Page 238
    • karcher
    • By karcher 11th Mar 18, 9:33 PM
    • 1,853 Posts
    • 17,174 Thanks
    karcher

THOUGHT FOR TODAY

In order to insult me, I must first value your opinion. Nice try though.
    Originally posted by monnagran
    Monna, I have copied and saved that. Thank you

To all you Fencers, hope you are well and life is treating you kindly.

Take good care and to borrow a phrase:

"Goodnight, thank you and may your God go with you"

xxx
    • ivyleaf
    • By ivyleaf 11th Mar 18, 11:28 PM
    • 5,441 Posts
    • 58,187 Thanks
    ivyleaf
    Lovely to see you karcher <waves> xx

burtha In case you're around, thinking of you and hoping your day was as ok as possible xx

fuddle Glad you're safe home! May you have many happy holidays and weekends in your caravan .xx

Lyn
    For some reason this site simply doesn't like letters with accents over them- it always just reproduces them as an exclamation mark. Also, it doesn't mind !!!!!!!" but won't put up with B a n a n a. Perhaps it's something about spelling it with a capital letter.

Edit: oh, now that's just silly. It doesn't like b a n a n a either now.
    • monnagran
    • By monnagran 12th Mar 18, 6:10 AM
    • 3,690 Posts
    • 48,812 Thanks
    monnagran
    I have never met such a cantankerous site. I still can't understand why it has suddenly started joining th together and separating other letters from their parent word., as in piff le.

Millie decided this morning that 4 o'clock was a good time to start the day and I was so sleep befuddled that I'd given her breakfast before I realised that it was still the middle of the night. She has now gone back to bed and will no doubt be thinking smugly that I will have forgotten all about it when the real breakfast time comes around and she will be in for another one. WRONG!

karcher, wasn't that Dave Allen's signing off phrase? I loved that man. He was naughty but so very funny.

Well Fencers, another week lies before us, with all its possibilities and challenges. I must dig out last week's to-do list and change the date on it.

THOUGHT FOR TODAY

Yield to temptation. It may not pass this way again.
    I believe that friends are quiet angels
    Who lift us to our feet when our wings
    Have trouble remembering how to fly.
    • VJsmum
    • By VJsmum 12th Mar 18, 6:47 AM
    • 5,146 Posts
    • 75,698 Thanks
    VJsmum
    Morning all. What terrible night. I am EXTREMELY sensitive to monosodium glutamate but don't always know when it is in things. There must have been an awful lot in last night's dinner. I made a tuna pasta bake that i haven't done for years and i think that it was in the condensed mushroom soup i used. So a night with little sleep, racing heart, earworms thumping through my head and a terrible thirst. This morning I have hangover symptoms and a sore neck.. i loathe throwing food away but the leftovers have got to go.
    You're out with a friend in the capital, I'm a thousand leagues under the sea
    You're hovering worriedly over your eggs, And I'm pondering trees
    I'm wandering long, And I'm pondering trees
    For you and me
    Guy Garvey
    • Softstuff
    • By Softstuff 12th Mar 18, 7:56 AM
    • 2,869 Posts
    • 32,168 Thanks
    Softstuff
    Sorry to hear about your night VJsmum, some things are just not worth keeping though.

I think that's my favourite of your thoughts of the day Monna
    Softstuff- Officially better than 007
    • pollyanna 26
    • By pollyanna 26 12th Mar 18, 8:22 AM
    • 2,128 Posts
    • 19,537 Thanks
    pollyanna 26
    Good morning Fencers . Actually the rain is hammering down here but I can hope . We need to go out later so maybe it will go away before then .
    I hope things are feeling a bit better for you now Karcher . I adored Dave Allen , one who left us too soon.
    VJsmum back in the 80s one of the herb and spice companies started selling MSG in their range . They marketed it as breakthrough product to enhance the flavour of steaks etc . It lasted a week or two here and then hit the bin . Atopic family and family and weird chemicals don't
    mix . I hope the horrible feeling leaves asap and you feel better soon .
    I was thinking of burtha too yesterday . I do everyday anyway . I had a wonderful day and hope someone made a fuss of her too .
    Now monna why did I never think of dating last weeks list of things to do with this weeks date ? It will stop me feeling guilty about those things I never managed .to get round to . Glad you're charged up again and in full flow .
    I'm going to have my porridge , hope the weather is brighter for you all .
    polly x
    • ivyleaf
    • By ivyleaf 12th Mar 18, 8:56 AM
    • 5,441 Posts
    • 58,187 Thanks
    ivyleaf
    Raining here too polly, not hammering though

I'm having an eye test today and not really looking forward to it as it's always really, really hot in the optician's i'm wearing a fine-knit jumper atm but might have to swap it for a t-shirt before I go!
    • mardatha
    • By mardatha 12th Mar 18, 9:04 AM
    • 14,827 Posts
    • 141,526 Thanks
    mardatha
    I am UPSET. Sainsbugs was due to bring me foam shrimps and bananas plus tablet ice cream last night and the driver phoned to say he had a puncture and wouldn't make it round his deliveries as the tyre fitter hadn't appeared after 2 hours. I am UPSET.
    I may need counselling.
    • mardatha
    • By mardatha 12th Mar 18, 9:05 AM
    • 14,827 Posts
    • 141,526 Thanks
    mardatha
    Why can I type bananas and monna can't? She must have been naughty and offended the forum
    • Jazee
    • By Jazee 12th Mar 18, 9:15 AM
    • 4,441 Posts
    • 52,041 Thanks
    Jazee
    Foam shrimps and bananas. Love them, get big bags for less than a 1 in h0me b@rgains.
    Savings 2018: 1573.11
    • mardatha
    • By mardatha 12th Mar 18, 9:18 AM
    • 14,827 Posts
    • 141,526 Thanks
    mardatha
    If I had one anywhere near.... sobsobsob
    • pollyanna 26
    • By pollyanna 26 12th Mar 18, 9:32 AM
    • 2,128 Posts
    • 19,537 Thanks
    pollyanna 26
    Funny how the weather varies ivyleaf . I'll be wearing a thick wool polo neck and my knee length craghopper coat while you're in a tshirt . Hope all goes well at the opticians . An eye test is on the to do list . I've been screwing my eyes up for months , only need reading glasses updated .

Restrain yourself mardatha it isn't the end of the world ! I hope sainsbugs count their drivers out and back in again at the end of shift .
    I may need to send the cat a strait jacket to throw on you at such times . If you haven't had your porridge do so now
    pollyx
    • monnagran
    • By monnagran 12th Mar 18, 10:19 AM
    • 3,690 Posts
    • 48,812 Thanks
    monnagran
    mar I might remind you that I am not the norty one round here. That honour goes to others. Neither have I offended anyone, being incapable of offensive behaviour. I was brought up on my mother's favourite hymn.........
    "Be not swift to take offence,
    Only take a gate."

Also on my Aunt's favourite hymn.........
    "Oh, for a man.......
    Oh, for a man......
    Oh, for a mansion in the sky."

That's it for this morning. A friend has just rung to ask if I'm coming out to play, so I'll be out for a cheap lunch and, with a bit of luck, a mooch round Aldi.
    I believe that friends are quiet angels
    Who lift us to our feet when our wings
    Have trouble remembering how to fly.
    • pollyanna 26
    • By pollyanna 26 12th Mar 18, 10:28 AM
    • 2,128 Posts
    • 19,537 Thanks
    pollyanna 26
    Well that's hopefully my daily crying with laughter episode over monna . You could be the new Peter Kay and cast off financial woes .
    Have a nice day out . x

Someones green light has gone out , the sugar cavalry must have arrived at last .

Well I must press on , really not feeling like going out but needs must .
    pollyx

ps I wonder if there is any actual food in mars order ?
    • Jazee
    • By Jazee 12th Mar 18, 10:38 AM
    • 4,441 Posts
    • 52,041 Thanks
    Jazee
    And I have been known to order bananas & shrimps in bulk from Am@zon - just an idea Mar, next day delivery and all that.
    Savings 2018: 1573.11
    • mardatha
    • By mardatha 12th Mar 18, 11:07 AM
    • 14,827 Posts
    • 141,526 Thanks
    mardatha
    Oh my god. BULK SHRIMPS & BANANAS.... "hyperventilates" .. that would be seriously bad though. Because I have no willpower with sweeties, I am an addict. Seriously. I can't stop until the packet/tube/tub/trough is empty. But it is a lovely lovely thought...
    Polly I am shocked at you. Yea and hurt. Of course there is food on that order!!!
    Ice cream is food!
    Cat food is food!
    Trifle is food!
    But I might be telling fibs and my order might be totally boring and full of leeks and kale.
    • Charis
    • By Charis 12th Mar 18, 4:41 PM
    • 1,289 Posts
    • 13,597 Thanks
    Charis
    I just had a grumble on The Money Savers Arms, which was the only thread I could find to try and discover if there is an official way to complain about an employee of Scottish Power phoning me at home and trying to persuade, then bully me into having a smart meter fitted. I told her that I was moving before the end of June, which I hope to be the case, then she said I could still have one fitted. When I told her I didn't want one, she replied that I have to have one, everyone is going to have to have one. I just said 'that's a lie, no one has to have one'.

She was still trying to make me have one when I hung up on her. The sad thing is that there are still vulnerable people who think they have to obey the voice of authority. The majority of smart meters are still not transferable to other companies and some have reported boiler malfunctions after the installation of a smart meter as soon as everything is switched back on. Others have said the meter is unreadable by a customer as there are so many different screens. I thought we had official bodies who watched out for this kind of thing?
    • Charis
    • By Charis 12th Mar 18, 4:42 PM
    • 1,289 Posts
    • 13,597 Thanks
    Charis
    No idea why my message appears in two different fonts...?
    • mardatha
    • By mardatha 12th Mar 18, 5:16 PM
    • 14,827 Posts
    • 141,526 Thanks
    mardatha
    I don't think they can make us have them Charis and I'd have told her where to go if she had done that to me. Good for you for not being bullied!
    • ivyleaf
    • By ivyleaf 12th Mar 18, 5:44 PM
    • 5,441 Posts
    • 58,187 Thanks
    ivyleaf
    pollyanna It's not warm enough for a t-shirt generally, it's just that the optician's is always overheated Eye test went fine, not worth buying more new glasses (thank goodness) because it's the cataract that causing the problem and I'm waiting (and waiting) to have it sorted.
    That reminds me Hester, have you got anywhere with trying to get yours sorted?

nursemaggie Are you all right? I was a bit concerned when you didn't post yesterday. Thinking of you x
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,339Posts Today

5,859Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin