Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Knit Witch
    • By Knit Witch 18th Jul 17, 8:29 PM
    • 3,474Posts
    • 31,706Thanks
    Knit Witch
    The Garden Fence - proper Old Style support and chat!
    • 18th Jul 17, 8:29 PM
    The Garden Fence - proper Old Style support and chat! 18th Jul 17 at 8:29 PM
    As threads are going walkabout I thought I would start the next stage of this off - I will try and do the links later!
    V3ry - 389.60
Page 228
    • pollyanna 26
    • By pollyanna 26 5th Mar 18, 9:56 AM
    • 2,165 Posts
    • 20,044 Thanks
    pollyanna 26
    Thank you so much Lyn for the update on Candlelight . So sad to hear she's once again busy looking after Himself . If you hear from her again please give tell her dd and I send much love and strength . It goes without saying she is remembered nightly when the candle is lit .
    One of the last things she did when she was last on the forum was to light a beautiful new candle for my dd . A lovely and caring lady with a big heart and heavy loads to bear in life .
    I still remember Himselfs " How many sleeps " countdown to holidays and it still makes me giggle .

Good luck with the 2nd viewing .
    • silvasava
    • By silvasava 5th Mar 18, 10:27 AM
    • 3,731 Posts
    • 59,868 Thanks
    silvasava
    Out and about yesterday with DS1 in the morning and DS2 & DiL in the evening so just had a quick skim through the posts.
    NM - grrr about the house and your hospital journey's. makes me realise how lucky I am to be near a large hospital.
    Hester - been thinking of you in this bad weather - boat living is an entirely different ball game!
    Softstuff - get some rest - we dont want you poorly.
    Fuddle - yes - the BB's have made me nod off! Ive looked at the leaflet and there's no particular time to take them so I'm doing them before I go to bed. I'm reasoning that they'll give me a good nights sleep and back to normal during the day......I hope!
    Monna - I can make a good sponge cake and light dumplings but I'm another one who's scones turn out more like bricks! I'll try your recipe & see if I can B** that up!
    Hugs to you all - whether you need them or not x
    Small victories - sometimes they are all you can hope for but sometimes they are all you need - be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle
    • mardatha
    • By mardatha 5th Mar 18, 11:00 AM
    • 14,908 Posts
    • 142,588 Thanks
    mardatha
    We finally got out of the village and down to the docs for RV's pills. He wouldn't let me go to the shop though so no more sweeties
    • pollyanna 26
    • By pollyanna 26 5th Mar 18, 11:06 AM
    • 2,165 Posts
    • 20,044 Thanks
    pollyanna 26
    Hester I don't know how you keep your patience with your tenant . Three days is a long time to leave a leak unreported . She's clearly broken the terms of the lease and as she's already caused previous problems I'd be charging either some or all of the cost to her . If it needs to come out of her security deposit it can .
    So much for a peaceful retirement .

polly
    • nannywindow
    • By nannywindow 5th Mar 18, 11:51 AM
    • 767 Posts
    • 10,334 Thanks
    nannywindow
    Monna thank you for the recipe. It has been copied and filed under Monna's Scones, for future reference. I didn't have any for breakfast as I don't normally put my head above the parapet before 9.30 am. . I am always late to bed and late to rise as I don't function very well as an early riser . Works out well as my Dh is the opposite and he always has a cup of tea ready for me in the morning, so I can "come to" slowly.
    Mar your RV was mean not to let you have more sweeties. Doesn't he know that they have a long shelf life and they can be kept for emergencies .
    Hester you must have the patience of a saint with your tennant. I would be more than annoyed .
    Hope everyone has a good Monday.
    Failure is simply the opportunity to begin again, but this time more intelligently
    • pollyanna 26
    • By pollyanna 26 5th Mar 18, 11:56 AM
    • 2,165 Posts
    • 20,044 Thanks
    pollyanna 26
    nanny a long shelf life and kept for emergencies do not feature in that wee wummins life ! I often wonder if she wanders the shop eating as she goes and hands over the empty packets at the till for scanning .

polly
    • mardatha
    • By mardatha 5th Mar 18, 12:23 PM
    • 14,908 Posts
    • 142,588 Thanks
    mardatha
    They don't have a long shelf life in this hoose Nanny
    snowballs in hell have longer!
    That is a great idea Polly, I will remember that
    • nannywindow
    • By nannywindow 5th Mar 18, 12:26 PM
    • 767 Posts
    • 10,334 Thanks
    nannywindow
    Polly fancy casting aspidistras at the poor, poor sweet old lady and fellow Jelly Baby lover. I imagine she's like super gran in the sweetie aisles or a woman possessed . Sorry Mar.
    A quick question if I may...... I decided to take the bull by the horns and try to make some scones, but I noticed that it needs 5 fl oz of milk. As our fresh stocks are running low, milk included, because of the snow we are still unable to get out and about safely, could I use UHT milk instead ?
    Thanks in advance.
    PS.
    Sorry Mar but you have let the side down, I was trying to defend you .
    Last edited by nannywindow; 05-03-2018 at 12:29 PM. Reason: to add
    Failure is simply the opportunity to begin again, but this time more intelligently
    • Elona
    • By Elona 5th Mar 18, 12:27 PM
    • 218 Posts
    • 2,288 Thanks
    Elona
    Just thought I would share that the weather guru Dave King thinks the snow could be back on the 17th of this month for five days.

Just about to go out and post a letter and get some more bread, milk and potatoes.
    • greenbee
    • By greenbee 5th Mar 18, 12:43 PM
    • 12,636 Posts
    • 220,326 Thanks
    greenbee
    UHT milk can be used as a substitute for pasteurised pretty in pretty much any recipe.
    • pollyanna 26
    • By pollyanna 26 5th Mar 18, 1:01 PM
    • 2,165 Posts
    • 20,044 Thanks
    pollyanna 26
    mar I'll have to choose my words more carefully in future . I'm trying to get you to see the error of your ways not enable you with new ideas . I'd post this in green but the brain aint too good today .

nanny ask the poor sweet dear old lady who et all the carefully collected chocolate on the old SHTF thread . We almost came to fisticuffs on that one . She's a human vulture where food is concerned . I think the world of her but she does test my patience as she pops innocent Heffalumps in her freezer , stalks anything that breathes . I'm still wondering about the fate of the walkers who walked up her hill and never came back .

polly
    • mardatha
    • By mardatha 5th Mar 18, 3:06 PM
    • 14,908 Posts
    • 142,588 Thanks
    mardatha
    *Saying nothing* I reserve my right of Habeas Corpus and all the rest.
    YOU CAN'T PROVE A THING
    • pollyanna 26
    • By pollyanna 26 5th Mar 18, 3:56 PM
    • 2,165 Posts
    • 20,044 Thanks
    pollyanna 26
    THE EVIDENCE
    polly x
    Originally posted by pollyanna 26
    Once more for the crowd and any newbies taken in by the wee madam up a hill .

It's unwise to tangle with a woman in possession of an "inconvenient memory " Shall we discuss laying a trail of breadcrumbs for a random passing duck ? I can go on mar , I'm amazed the RV still has all limbs intact - or maybe he doesn't . Only Peter Gunn made it hope in one piece . Umm I may need to check that . I haven't seen him around lately .
    polly
    • pollyanna 26
    • By pollyanna 26 5th Mar 18, 4:04 PM
    • 2,165 Posts
    • 20,044 Thanks
    pollyanna 26
    Darn I forgot to include the evidence . I might have a good memory but wouldn't make a good witness for the prosecution
    All those episodes of Morse , Lewis and Shetland etc wasted .

I'm going to make a large brew and think nice thoughts but I'll be back in a bit . Maybe a look at the Vrea box sets will help .

polly x
    • csarina2
    • By csarina2 5th Mar 18, 4:56 PM
    • 2,073 Posts
    • 20,571 Thanks
    csarina2
    I use dried milk in scones and mix the mixture with water, for some reason it makes lighter scones. 1/4oz of dried milk to 1/4pt of water. I never tip all the water in at once, flour differs so much in how much water it absorbs. The recipe I use is the one mentioned in the post.
    • pollyanna 26
    • By pollyanna 26 5th Mar 18, 5:18 PM
    • 2,165 Posts
    • 20,044 Thanks
    pollyanna 26
    Ok mar just this once I give in . My eyes are glazing over searching the 300 of my posts available . The thought of attempting to search yours is unthinkable who knows what further horrors I may discover there .
    In the manner of James Hathaway ( Lewis ) I shall screenshot future hunting forays and in best Gene Hunt fashion I've marked your card
    These measures should either rein you in or send you under the radar . I fear the latter is more likely .
    I now have visions of you sitting by the fire sniggering like Muttley , you may even have trained the cat to do so . Thankfully you don't own a plain Moggy but have one who wouldn't soil her paws going out to hunt so hopefully all wee beasties are safe unless the urge comes upon you when the weather improves .

In theory you've won this round but so many of us have been involved in various threads many times and have long memories .

A big dish of lightly steamed finely chopped KALE minus butter and other embellishments is recommended in such times it will make a new woman of you .

Ducks and runs , oh shouldn't have said Ducks .

polly x
    D
    • MrsLurcherwalker
    • By MrsLurcherwalker 5th Mar 18, 6:33 PM
    • 11,822 Posts
    • 164,090 Thanks
    MrsLurcherwalker
    We have had an OFFER!!! we won't take it because it's too soon and not enough offered but very gratifying that someone actually wants to buy the house. Another viewing this afternoon, this time from a gardener with an allotment, (deja-vu??? )across the road and I'm hoping they come back for another viewing because I'd love to leave our garden in the hands of someone who will enjoy it as much as we have over the years. Someone who will get just as crazy excited as I do over the pink noses of asparagus popping above the soil and who will enjoy the heady taste of warm from the sun ripe figs in the late summer. We'll see.....but it's EXCITING!!!
    Thumpers mum was right - if you can't find anything nice to say don't say anything at all!
    • ivyleaf
    • By ivyleaf 5th Mar 18, 6:59 PM
    • 5,516 Posts
    • 59,221 Thanks
    ivyleaf
    Ooh, that's exciting news Lyn

Odd day for us; we went to Ikea to look at their kitchens and get some wine glasses, then when we were on the way to the checkout there was an automated evacuation. Apparently these happen at random and the staff have 3 minutes to find out where the hypothetical "technical difficulty" is, and if they don't find it then the alarm sounds and everyone has to leave the store asap. OH and I sat outside on a bollard, with the other "aged and infirm", but everyone else had to stand across the road at the edge of the car park. A lot of people just got in their cars and drove off. After a while we were allowed back in and carried on our way to the checkout. We had discussed going to the restaurant for some lunch - good thing we didn't as we'd have probably just about have started eating, and the state we were in by then i don't know how we'd have coped with having to queue all over again. Anyway all was ok in the end and we paid for our goods and then went to Pizza Hut instead. I had 3 slices of pizza, some garlic bread and a chocolate shake, and when we came home I fell asleep from all the sugar.
    • pollyanna 26
    • By pollyanna 26 5th Mar 18, 7:00 PM
    • 2,165 Posts
    • 20,044 Thanks
    pollyanna 26
    Lyn they've probably been and gone by now . I've only just logged in but the candle I lit at dusk is still alight so sending lavender vibes they will be that perfect buyer .
    Probably already familiar with your house so it would be a perfect fit to pass beloved gardens and lottie to safe hands .
    polly x
    • pollyanna 26
    • By pollyanna 26 5th Mar 18, 7:06 PM
    • 2,165 Posts
    • 20,044 Thanks
    pollyanna 26
    I wouldn't fancy trying to leave Ikea asap ivyleaf . I no longer go there as the nearest to us has an awful layout . A shame you couldn't see all you went for . At least you've eaten and had a doze so things could be worse .
    pollyx
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

44Posts Today

3,103Users online

Martin's Twitter