Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Knit Witch
    • By Knit Witch 18th Jul 17, 8:29 PM
    • 3,429Posts
    • 31,293Thanks
    Knit Witch
    The Garden Fence - proper Old Style support and chat!
    • 18th Jul 17, 8:29 PM
    The Garden Fence - proper Old Style support and chat! 18th Jul 17 at 8:29 PM
    As threads are going walkabout I thought I would start the next stage of this off - I will try and do the links later!
    V3ry - 389.60
Page 227
    • Doveling
    • By Doveling 4th Mar 18, 6:21 PM
    • 413 Posts
    • 7,299 Thanks
    Doveling
    Nurse Maggie, sorry if I upset you but when you said hospital transport I did think you meant NHS as Fuddle said.

I was thinking about RVS, CVS, Red Cross and Good Neighbours.

Age UK offer a home help service but I'm not sure of the current prices.

I hope you get a suitable house soon

Off to Wythenshawe hospital myself on Tuesday for more surgery- got to be there for 7.15am
    Not dim .....just living in soft focus
    • pollyanna 26
    • By pollyanna 26 4th Mar 18, 6:40 PM
    • 2,126 Posts
    • 19,519 Thanks
    pollyanna 26
    Best wishes for that very early appointment Doveling , wishing you well .

Camelot I love this thread too . I failed Fuds as I have no experience re Beta Blockers but up pops Ivy and all is sorted .

I can't remember if it's you who lives near Aberfoyle . I was thinking eldest daughter had done well moving to Yorkshire until I saw the pictures of her area . Frying pan and Fire come to mind there .
    She's always been the same and was hustled onto the last UK bound flight from Yugoslavia when the revolution began . She's known as she who closed a country in the family .

polly x

ps monna is very quiet .
    • nannywindow
    • By nannywindow 4th Mar 18, 7:13 PM
    • 738 Posts
    • 9,909 Thanks
    nannywindow
    Thanks NM, although my pastry is rubbish too, probably for the same reason. ( I confess to buying ready made, very sorry to let the fencers down ). I shall get my DH to try scones though, but I think I shall stick to baking cakes as I don't seem to ruin those .
    Failure is simply the opportunity to begin again, but this time more intelligently
    • pollyanna 26
    • By pollyanna 26 4th Mar 18, 7:19 PM
    • 2,126 Posts
    • 19,519 Thanks
    pollyanna 26
    Finally got to ivyleaf and then I'm caught up .

Thank you for your kind words yesterday . It is sad to read of your dear brother and vjs brother in law who like many slip through the net and suffer . We wouldn't be where we are now without the internet . DD has spent her life online and although we knew she wasn't on the spectrum it was onlt a few years ago she put her symptoms on google rather than trawling through mh conditions that MIND brought up the answer.
    Borderline has certain differences between different people some are very outgoing others like dd go inward and struggle with the world around them .
    Unlike your brother she had clear and painful insight into her struggles due to three older siblings moving forward through life .

Now she's determined to move forward and try even harder than she always has to overcome the past and find her future .

Thank you to you and every toughie either here or on the No T words thread also all on my own thread for keeping me on my feet and sending me through the door to all the appts . You've all held me up and with an army at our backs things finally good had to happen .

A special thanks to dear candlelight who was a great support . I still hope to see her post one day .

polly x
    • carolbee
    • By carolbee 4th Mar 18, 7:46 PM
    • 992 Posts
    • 6,742 Thanks
    carolbee
    Has anyone heard from candlelight, I too used to enjoy her posts
    Carolbee
    • pollyanna 26
    • By pollyanna 26 4th Mar 18, 7:54 PM
    • 2,126 Posts
    • 19,519 Thanks
    pollyanna 26
    nanny apart from an oat pastry I make for an old sainsbugs cheese and onion flan recipe I very rarely make pastry from scratch now .
    Life's too short and buying decent pastry to store in the freezer is a godsend if you have arthritis and similar conditions . I stock up on special offers . Nowt wrong in my opinion .

Anyone waiting with bated breath to see if the sweeties arrived at mars , she's been stuffing her face with all things sugar . If she comes here complaining she feels sick I've threatened to post in her favourite green tomorrow .

polly
    • pollyanna 26
    • By pollyanna 26 4th Mar 18, 7:57 PM
    • 2,126 Posts
    • 19,519 Thanks
    pollyanna 26
    Has anyone heard from candlelight, I too used to enjoy her posts
    Originally posted by carolbee
    Lyn was in touch with her a while ago and she said she was taking a break . I miss her and live in hope she'll be back one day . Such a lovely caring lady who despite her own worries had to time to comfort and support everyone .

polly
    • monnagran
    • By monnagran 4th Mar 18, 8:49 PM
    • 3,674 Posts
    • 48,601 Thanks
    monnagran
    Polly, I'm a very quiet person. I'm surprised you didn't realise that.

Nanny, I think scones are like pastry, the more trouble you take over them the worse they are. I find it best to hastily sling things together and go like the clappers. It usually works. You can sing a merry song if you like, (yes you can polly) to show the wretched stuff how little trouble you are taking over it. I have a wonderfully easy and seemingly foolproof scone recipe, I think FairyP gave it to me when I had to make dozens for a church garden party. I'll look it out and post it for you.

Where is FairyP, by the way? Another one gone AWOL.
    Karcher is OK by the way, just having a quiet moment.
    I believe that friends are quiet angels
    Who lift us to our feet when our wings
    Have trouble remembering how to fly.
    • nursemaggie
    • By nursemaggie 4th Mar 18, 8:55 PM
    • 2,179 Posts
    • 28,750 Thanks
    nursemaggie
    I do still mean NHS hospital transport. There is nothing else in this area. The volunteers are not like the ones in other areas that make the arrangements with the patient and patient pays the volunteers expenses. There is none of that. The volunteers work for hospital transport and get paid by the company doing it or North west Ambulances as it has gone back to being.

I have asked around but there is no one. As no one seems to go to their own local hospital for anything round here I thought the distances put people off. The volunteers I expected would stay with the patient to take them back, or go for a coffee while they waited to take them back.

You just end up not being ready for early starter going off at 4pm or ending up with taxis because all the ambulance drivers have finished fro the day. Hospital transport pays for the taxis. They do try to put you with someone else to save on fares but I have been with 3 other people going to Bolton and we have all been sent home in separate taxis.

I will have a look on the Age UK website.
    • nannywindow
    • By nannywindow 4th Mar 18, 9:04 PM
    • 738 Posts
    • 9,909 Thanks
    nannywindow
    Monna thank you. I promise I will try your method of scone making. I shall even look the other way and whistle a merry tune in the hope that I look nonchalant .
    Also thanks for telling me about Karcher, I do worry when I don't see any posts for a while.
    Failure is simply the opportunity to begin again, but this time more intelligently
    • pollyanna 26
    • By pollyanna 26 4th Mar 18, 9:31 PM
    • 2,126 Posts
    • 19,519 Thanks
    pollyanna 26
    monna I am truly amazed at your ability to hide your quiet inner person . Did you never consider a career in the secret service ?
    Thank you for the assurance karcher is ok she's the only one here to get her coat and stand with me in the norty corner .
    I think FPK has a pretty busy life and pops by when she can .

Lillibet Refugees is one of my favourite Brian Bilston poems . The first time I read it I wasn't really focused and by the third line was very angry . It was only reading the read down then up bit that sorted that . Very cleverly constructed i haven't seen many like that .

NM Only my own experience in this area through family and friends but here Age uk seem very profit driven and focus very much on selling retirement plans , insurance you name it . May be different in GM and other parts of the country . We are a hot spot for the retired here so that may explain it although many of us were baby boomers with young families in the mid seventies .

You must be fed up with the whole thing by now and may already have done this . Feel free to skip past and apologies in advance if you've looked already but have you looked at NHS in England help with health costs ?
    I pay for the taxis dd needs but have spoken to people in waiting rooms who also come by taxi under the Healthcare Travel Costs Scheme . If you haven't looked previously the different criteria are there one is Guaranteed Pension Credit which may or may not apply to you . According to the patients they take their taxi alone both there and back at a time suitable and no hanging around for hours .
    It's the last thing I can think of so I promise to leave you in peace

polly x
    • mardatha
    • By mardatha 4th Mar 18, 10:05 PM
    • 14,813 Posts
    • 141,331 Thanks
    mardatha
    I got my shopping - we had to walk half a mile to meet the van as he couldn't get any closer for the snow on the road - and et my sugar shrimps and my foam bananas and no I do not feel sick
    • pollyanna 26
    • By pollyanna 26 4th Mar 18, 10:14 PM
    • 2,126 Posts
    • 19,519 Thanks
    pollyanna 26
    We'll see how you feel in the morning Mar

This is interesting . As one of the very few posters who prefer to read on the new format I get taken to the green when I log in . I've just thanked your post on the new format and will see if this reply shows .

pollyx
    • pollyanna 26
    • By pollyanna 26 4th Mar 18, 10:17 PM
    • 2,126 Posts
    • 19,519 Thanks
    pollyanna 26
    Well the post showed up although it's now back on the green screen .
    Interesting .
    polly who needs to go to bed . It's hard work catching up .

Sleep tight all . x
    • nursemaggie
    • By nursemaggie 4th Mar 18, 10:23 PM
    • 2,179 Posts
    • 28,750 Thanks
    nursemaggie
    Hi polly Yes I do now realise that I have qualified for Guaranteed Pension Credit. The council benefit department keep telling me I may qualify but they have been basing it on me having a 3p short of 10 a week more than I actually have. Despite me telling them again and again that I do not have a full state pension as I had my elder two children before were born before the National Insurance exemption for caring for children or someone who is ill came in. The dropped that years ago and gave most people the full pension, but they left a few of us out mainly those of us born immediately after the war before the majority of men come home. Lots of people have tried to get the rest of us the full pension but the government will not give in. I don't know all of the charities that have tried it age UK are one of them. I have always looked at the figures and though I am only about 1.50 short I will end up having to give it back when the state pension goes up.

Now I know I am entitled to a lot more, I am waiting to get my Attendance allowance because I will then be entitled to a lot more. That allows you to have much more income. While the government has been restricting public sector pay to no more than 1% I have been having my work pension going up 2 or 3 a month not per hour as DS got in January. I also think our increments have been frozen too.

A few more weeks and I will apply for it.

To get assistance with travel to hospital you have to be entitled to that . For younger people it is other benefits. I'm not refusing to claim things.

As long as I don't have to go too early for appointments, I can use my travel card for buses, trains within Greater Manchester, and trams so I do not pay a penny. I will keep going on public transport as long as I can. I can stop in Manchester for an hour or two if I want. No one is controlling my journey in that I have to keep jumping up and down to the window every minute to make sure I don't miss the transport. Upstairs make listening for a knock on the door even harder.
    • MrsLurcherwalker
    • By MrsLurcherwalker 4th Mar 18, 10:27 PM
    • 11,663 Posts
    • 162,223 Thanks
    MrsLurcherwalker
    I heard from Candlelight at Christmas, her dear OH is having some health problems and needs all her attention just now. She is fine and I hope very much she will be able to join us again at some point in the future.
    Thumpers mum was right - if you can't find anything nice to say don't say anything at all!
    • Hard Up Hester
    • By Hard Up Hester 5th Mar 18, 1:16 AM
    • 3,635 Posts
    • 45,310 Thanks
    Hard Up Hester
    Silly o'clock here and I cannot sleep, my tenant phoned just after 6 to tell me there is a leak in the kitchen, it's been leaking for 3 days and she's been too busy to phone and let me know!

It clearly states in the lease that problems must be reported within 24 hours.

I shall be making my displeasure known in writing.
    Chin up, Titus out.
    • monnagran
    • By monnagran 5th Mar 18, 7:06 AM
    • 3,674 Posts
    • 48,601 Thanks
    monnagran
    Hester, I do hope that they gave you a good security deposit. Perhaps if you told them that every time they flouted the strict terms of the lease the resulting repair bill would come out of their deposit, it might concentrate their minds somewhat.

Now nanny. Recipe for scones coming up.........

8oz SR flour (chilled) I don't know if the chilling makes a difference but it costs nothing to pop a bag in the fridge for a while, so go for it.
    2oz unsalted butter. I use Stork. People at church functions can live without butter.
    1oz caster sugar. Only for sweet scones natch. If you want cheese scones substitute the sugar for a couple of oz of strong cheese finely grated. Never try both together. Nasty.
    5 fl oz milk.

Rub fat into flour. Add sugar (OR cheese). GRADUALLY stir in the milk. You may not need quite all of it Too much and you'll be pouring it on to baking trays.

Turn out on to floured surface and punch it about a bit (knead 2 or 3 times).

Pat it out to desired thickness and cut out. I use a 2 inch cutter.

Bake at 220 for 12 to 15 minutes. If you are very greedy and make bigger scones bake for a bit longer at a lower temperature.

I think I'll write a cookery book. Eat your heart out Mary Berry.

If you start now nanny you could be eating scones for breakfast.

Today we are having the funeral which was postponed from Friday. I have no idea how many will be turning up. I just hope that the food will be OK. It's been in the freezer, out of the freezer, back in the freezer, back out of the freezer and dragged around the countryside. D E L I C I O U S.

Will report back later.

THOUGHT FOR TODAY

Get up. Dress up. Show up. Never give up.
    I believe that friends are quiet angels
    Who lift us to our feet when our wings
    Have trouble remembering how to fly.
    • Softstuff
    • By Softstuff 5th Mar 18, 8:06 AM
    • 2,862 Posts
    • 32,068 Thanks
    Softstuff
    Hugs Hester, I hope the damage is not too bad (or you can get the eejits to pay).

Monna, that food might have travelled enough to qualify as posh international food... and will thus be even better. Honest.

I am exhausted, so apologies for few comments. Love to all xx
    Softstuff- Officially better than 007
    • ivyleaf
    • By ivyleaf 5th Mar 18, 9:36 AM
    • 5,416 Posts
    • 57,918 Thanks
    ivyleaf
    Have a good sleep Softstuff x

Hope all goes ok today monna x

Thinking of you Doveling (and very nice to see you back!) I hope the op goes fine.x

I too was thinking of Fairyprincessk last night - I hope she's ok. Of course she lives in the country now, so as well as being busy at work they have probably had problems with the snow.

So glad you got your sweeties mar! x

Thank you for the news of Candlelight Lyn.

Hester re tenant x

Not sure what we'll be doing today. My choice would be "getting rid of an awful lot of stuff", but OH won't do that. I have been known to shout at him that "When you die, it's all going in a skip, you know!" The house needs such a lot of work, and I feel as if nothing can move on because there is too much carp in the way.
    Last edited by ivyleaf; 05-03-2018 at 10:25 AM. Reason: Typo
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

421Posts Today

5,815Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin