Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Knit Witch
    • By Knit Witch 18th Jul 17, 8:29 PM
    • 3,474Posts
    • 31,707Thanks
    Knit Witch
    The Garden Fence - proper Old Style support and chat!
    • 18th Jul 17, 8:29 PM
    The Garden Fence - proper Old Style support and chat! 18th Jul 17 at 8:29 PM
    As threads are going walkabout I thought I would start the next stage of this off - I will try and do the links later!
    V3ry - 389.60
Page 198
    • MrsLurcherwalker
    • By MrsLurcherwalker 10th Feb 18, 1:59 PM
    • 11,826 Posts
    • 164,132 Thanks
    MrsLurcherwalker
    I'm definitely going to despatch that hefferlump up to Scotlandshire and buy it some mountaineering equipment so it can reach Mar at her home!!! It will then sit on anyone who tries to give her things that don't agree with her, if she's poorly it's going to be quicker than an ambulance getting her and the RV to A&E as it will go cross country and it will be bringing with it a huge consignment of purely medicinal black jelly babies which are made specially to restore sufferers to health (or at least make them feel happier while they're getting better!). Be better my little Scots pal xxx.
    Thumpers mum was right - if you can't find anything nice to say don't say anything at all!
    • ivyleaf
    • By ivyleaf 10th Feb 18, 3:29 PM
    • 5,518 Posts
    • 59,241 Thanks
    ivyleaf
    Aww mar darling, so sorry you still feel so bad xx
    • Gintotmelinda
    • By Gintotmelinda 10th Feb 18, 3:38 PM
    • 968 Posts
    • 12,668 Thanks
    Gintotmelinda
    Mar sorry you feel so poorly. Hugs.

HH my DH worked for TV Licensing around that time. Only one location. DH says the Ann S shop had blacked out windows LOL!

Gintot
    "It's hard to be a diamond in a rhinestone world"
    • JackieO
    • By JackieO 10th Feb 18, 3:49 PM
    • 15,991 Posts
    • 135,708 Thanks
    JackieO
    nursemaggie I am believe it or not a very decorous old lady now, but back then I would have walked through fire to pay the mortgage as the interest rates were 15%.

Temping was a way to earn a lot of cash pretty quickly, although it was all down to supply and demand, Some Monday's there was very little work at all so no work ,no pay.

I temped for about 9 months until I managed to land a job that was permanent it paid less, but it was regular which helped no end .

But I did do some very different jobs for that time including running an open air bar at functionsweddings bar mitsvahs etc,working in a factory kitchen (I loved that as we got lots of left over stuff,) I also did a stint teaching foreign language students english customs and ways I met some smashing people from all walks of life, even helped out for awhile at a stately home.Back in those days you would take anything and everything going as long as it brought the cash in. I eventually did the Knowledge and became a taxi driver for 22 years.So my working life has been quite varied.
    Quot Libros,Quam Breve Tempus. 2018
    Running total for four months food only shopping =126.24.Freezer stuff slowly going down at last May totals 31.11 June spends so far 18.90, brought a few odds and ends home from my holiday and using those up first.
    • monnagran
    • By monnagran 10th Feb 18, 4:40 PM
    • 3,775 Posts
    • 50,201 Thanks
    monnagran
    Intriguing, JackieO. Especially about the use of Ponds Cold Cream.

My mother used Ponds Vanishing Cream.

The mind? It boggles.
    I believe that friends are quiet angels
    Who lift us to our feet when our wings
    Have trouble remembering how to fly.
    • Hard Up Hester
    • By Hard Up Hester 10th Feb 18, 4:55 PM
    • 3,701 Posts
    • 46,397 Thanks
    Hard Up Hester
    Oh yes I remember when the interest rates soared, scary times indeed.
    Chin up, Titus out.
    • Charis
    • By Charis 10th Feb 18, 6:39 PM
    • 1,289 Posts
    • 13,598 Thanks
    Charis
    Intriguing, JackieO. Especially about the use of Ponds Cold Cream.

My mother used Ponds Vanishing Cream.

The mind? It boggles.
    Originally posted by monnagran
    During WW2 my auntie found an alternative use for cold cream jars. She was a real innocent and still unmarried, so I guess she only used the cream only on her face. My mother told me that auntie was afraid of going out at night during the winter, because of the blackouts, but she had to go to work and back. So she filled her big leather handbag with Ponds cold cream jars. One night she was grabbed by a man in the dark . He wasn't expecting to get bashed over the head with a bag full of jars and after she managed to floor him she just ran for her life. Never even got to see her assailant.
    • MMF007
    • By MMF007 10th Feb 18, 7:21 PM
    • 1,253 Posts
    • 28,137 Thanks
    MMF007
    Well, as the tone has been lowered I'll add a related story:
    I used to work in offices which received enquiries from the public. There were toilets for visitors to use.
    One day a colleague came rushing out of the ladies' loos and asked for the caretaker's phone number. Not the usual blockage, oh no, the cause of the problem was a rather large, pink vibra***!

We had a heated debate about whether to put it in the lost propoerty box
    I have changed my work-life balance to a life-work balance.
    • shanks77
    • By shanks77 10th Feb 18, 7:29 PM
    • 1,103 Posts
    • 10,340 Thanks
    shanks77
    Popping in with my eyes covered so I don't offend my poor innocent mind to wish Mar a speedy recovery. Backs out quickly before I become corrupted xx
    • monnagran
    • By monnagran 10th Feb 18, 7:54 PM
    • 3,775 Posts
    • 50,201 Thanks
    monnagran
    You and me both, Shanks. I've had to retire with my smelling salts. A fit of the vapours was threatened. I really don't know what the younger generation are coming to.
    I'm just glad that I have not the slightest idea what they are talking about.
    • ivyleaf
    • By ivyleaf 10th Feb 18, 8:00 PM
    • 5,518 Posts
    • 59,241 Thanks
    ivyleaf
    Jackie I think the place you worked in Bexley village is still there; there's certainly a s e x shop with covered windows

Hasten to add I only know it's a s e x shop because it's been mentioned in the local paper
    • Hard Up Hester
    • By Hard Up Hester 10th Feb 18, 9:03 PM
    • 3,701 Posts
    • 46,397 Thanks
    Hard Up Hester
    Ginto, yes the Windows were blacked out, mind you the at was probably to ensure people ventured in.
    One of my colleagues at the time was a very religious lady, every lunch break she would go and stand outside and pray.
    Last edited by Hard Up Hester; 11-02-2018 at 8:26 AM.
    Chin up, Titus out.
    • Jazee
    • By Jazee 11th Feb 18, 7:56 AM
    • 4,521 Posts
    • 52,950 Thanks
    Jazee
    Ok, morning all. In an attempt to raise the tone slightly but still with a theme, in one of the locations I've worked in, you could look out of the windows and see the clever people training the birds for the Harry Potter films. Not quite the same as Ann Summers.
    Savings 2018: 1641.70
    • Hard Up Hester
    • By Hard Up Hester 11th Feb 18, 8:29 AM
    • 3,701 Posts
    • 46,397 Thanks
    Hard Up Hester
    Wow Jazee, I bet that was a real treat.
    We have visitors today so the boat has been thoroughly bottomed, it gets very dusty because of the stove.
    It's a lovely sunny day too so an ideal day for a visit.
    Chin up, Titus out.
    • MMF007
    • By MMF007 11th Feb 18, 9:01 AM
    • 1,253 Posts
    • 28,137 Thanks
    MMF007
    Jazee, I once spent a fantastic summer evening helping with the training of 3 Harris hawks. They are amazing birds that hunt as a team. My DH was used as target practice during a display, to show how quick and strong a beautiful gyrfalcon is.

Mar, I hope you are feeling much better today (((0)))
    I have changed my work-life balance to a life-work balance.
    • ivyleaf
    • By ivyleaf 11th Feb 18, 9:47 AM
    • 5,518 Posts
    • 59,241 Thanks
    ivyleaf
    A bit pressed for time this morning, so just sending (((HUGS))) to everyone for now
    • bouicca21
    • By bouicca21 11th Feb 18, 10:01 AM
    • 3,692 Posts
    • 5,550 Thanks
    bouicca21
    And to think I always thought Bexley village was very conservative (as well as Conservative) and a bit up itself.
    • monnagran
    • By monnagran 11th Feb 18, 11:58 AM
    • 3,775 Posts
    • 50,201 Thanks
    monnagran
    Goodness, I'm late this morning. This weather doesn't seem to be able to make up its mind. Yesterday wet, dark and windy. Today bright sunshine, still windy and freezing cold. I'm not venturing out today because I don't have to and I don't want to, so there.

I've been lying in bed thinking. You see I'm not wasting my time or being lazy, honestly, I've been reassessing my life. Exhausting isn't it?

Although I've done a fair bit of moving around in the past few years I realise that I have altogether too much stuff. I declutter every time I move but it tends to build up again when I'm not looking.
    This was brought about by seeing my late neighbour's daughter clearing out her mother's house.
    I thought of my family going through all my possessions and trying to decide what to do with them. NOOOOO!

So as from tomorrow, well you have to work up to these things, right? things are going to be sorted. Viciously sorted. No more hanging on to things justincase, no more sentimental attachments, well, not much, no more reminding myself how much things cost. Just space and freedom.

Well, that's the plan.

Mar, I hope today is better than yesterday. I wish I had a magic wand to wave in your direction.

Polly, have you come back to earth yet?

THOUGHT FOR SUNDAY

God looks at the clean hands - not the full ones. (Pubilius Syrus)
    • VJsmum
    • By VJsmum 11th Feb 18, 2:04 PM
    • 5,177 Posts
    • 76,200 Thanks
    VJsmum
    Monna - you'd be very welcome on the Konmarie thread. It really is life changing magic you know...

Hope you are feeling better today Mar

I've been struggling this weekend to tell the truth. I thought the initial shock and disbelief had passed, but no, it is there lurking underneath ready to catch me unawares...

I can see some reasoning for it, dad's ashes came home this week so we have to decide what to do with them, together with mum's which have been waiting for him. The information a few pages ago was really helpful, thank you to who posted it.

But also, there has been confusion over the will and what was going to happen to the house. After a bit of to-ing and fro-ing a will has come to light which leaves everything to one brother. The brother who was dads carer. It's not that much of a surprise, dad had spoken of it, but then said he wished he hadn't changed the will and then we weren't sure whether the new one had been torn up (a SiL said he had). We had thought that the mirror will he did with mum was the relevant will where everything had been split 5 ways between the siblings with said brother having a 6 month period to find himself a house or buy us out. Bear in mind he already lived rent and Bill free and received carers allowance. Additionally dad had put all his bank accounts in joint names so brother got the (not inconsiderable) contents of those anyway.

I thought I was fairly philosophical about it, but then I had a vivid dream about it all and now I feel it is really unfair. And I am feeling quite bitter. Not really for me, but for my younger brother an sister. My older brother and I are comfortably off and the money (about 20,000 each) would have been nice but is not essential to us. But younger brother and sister have sweet FA, both have children and that sort of money is s massive deal to them.

Inheriting brother has had thousands and thousands off mum and dad over the years whereas the others of us have never taken anything so, aside from the actual money, I do think it's unfair not to be acknowledged in any way. Dad's thought process was that we all had something and carer brother didn't. But we, older brother and I, are comfortable through our own efforts and decisions and younger two don't even own their own homes, they both rent.

Sorry for the rant, it feels better to get it off my chest and I will get over it. Dad was of totally sound mind when he did it and I don't believe him to have been coerced, and in a way he was right as this brother has made some poor life decisions and, maybe, hopefully, this can put him on a better path. That house will be a total millstone around the brothers neck, unless he sells it, because it is in a poor state of repair.

Ah, sorry all - we can go back to talking about sex toys and hefferlumps now
    Last edited by VJsmum; 11-02-2018 at 2:07 PM.
    You're out with a friend in the capital, I'm a thousand leagues under the sea
    You're hovering worriedly over your eggs, And I'm pondering trees
    I'm wandering long, And I'm pondering trees
    For you and me
    Guy Garvey
    • ivyleaf
    • By ivyleaf 11th Feb 18, 2:36 PM
    • 5,518 Posts
    • 59,241 Thanks
    ivyleaf
    Oh dear VJsmum, what a tangle Is the carer brother working? Perhaps he will end up having to sell the house anyway, but I assume in that case he would get to keep all the proceeds xx
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,093Posts Today

5,606Users online

Martin's Twitter