Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Knit Witch
    • By Knit Witch 18th Jul 17, 8:29 PM
    • 3,428Posts
    • 31,279Thanks
    Knit Witch
    The Garden Fence - proper Old Style support and chat!
    • 18th Jul 17, 8:29 PM
    The Garden Fence - proper Old Style support and chat! 18th Jul 17 at 8:29 PM
    As threads are going walkabout I thought I would start the next stage of this off - I will try and do the links later!
    V3ry - 389.60
Page 193
    • monnagran
    • By monnagran 7th Feb 18, 9:46 AM
    • 3,672 Posts
    • 48,574 Thanks
    monnagran
    The blue skies seem to be taking a day off. However I will still womanfully stride out for my daily walk, up to the village shop today. Silvasava talking about clementine marmalade reminded me that I was on my last jar and I want to make some more while the co engines (how in heavens name does the tablet get 'co engines' out of clementines?) are still available. So co-engine marmalade it is.
    I'm also nearly out of bread so a loaf is also on the agenda.
    My life is full of excitement.

I hope things get sorted out soon, mar. I'm afraid my medical knowledge is minimal to say the least, so I have no helpful hints to offer. Have a jelly baby and hitch your blanket around you as you toast your toes. Dr Monna is now off duty.

Have a good day all, keep your fingers and toes warm.
    On my walk yesterday I met an old man to advised me that I should be wearing a hat. I pointed out that he wasn't wearing one, to which he replied that he couldnt because he'd had his hair cut. ???? Aren't people lovely?

THOUGHT FOR TODAY

In three words I can sum up everything I've learned about life. It goes on. (Rob Frost)
    I believe that friends are quiet angels
    Who lift us to our feet when our wings
    Have trouble remembering how to fly.
    • monnagran
    • By monnagran 7th Feb 18, 9:55 AM
    • 3,672 Posts
    • 48,574 Thanks
    monnagran
    Nice to see you LilySue. You are among friends here. We all count the pennies and I have a 16 year-old autistic grandson, so your challenges are very familiar.
    Welcome.
    • mardatha
    • By mardatha 7th Feb 18, 12:15 PM
    • 14,810 Posts
    • 141,294 Thanks
    mardatha
    I love you lot.
    I'm (almost) sorry I et your elephant now. I won't eat any more.
    • Floss
    • By Floss 7th Feb 18, 1:01 PM
    • 4,494 Posts
    • 40,134 Thanks
    Floss
    Mar I didn't think there was any hefferlump left...
    • fuddle
    • By fuddle 7th Feb 18, 1:17 PM
    • 6,292 Posts
    • 96,109 Thanks
    fuddle
    Welcome LilySue. You have the name of my mam and my grandma. You kinda knocked me off guard there!

Not only are the people here really supportive there's nothing they don't know. I'm always asking them odds and suds of information and I encourage you to do the same. Haha.
    • silvasava
    • By silvasava 7th Feb 18, 2:26 PM
    • 3,685 Posts
    • 59,195 Thanks
    silvasava
    Tried to send you all a virtual bouquet but it wouldn't work - never mind, its the thought that counts lol!
    Small victories - sometimes they are all you can hope for but sometimes they are all you need - be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle
    • MadamMim2013
    • By MadamMim2013 7th Feb 18, 6:23 PM
    • 523 Posts
    • 6,464 Thanks
    MadamMim2013
    I do so love this thread..
    When I've had a carpy day and things look/feel bleak (eeyore mode appears) a few minutes reading posts and the world feels lighter & not so lonely again!
    It's wonderfully supportive and positive, lots of tips and ideas and often a problem solved with real care and concern.. Thanks everyone
    Living life happily! Debt Free date: 2018!!!
    Jan 18 GC Feb 18 GC Mar 18 GC Apr 18 GC: May 18 GC 273.93/300
    Slinky C : 3.5lbs/2st
    :
    • MMF007
    • By MMF007 7th Feb 18, 7:11 PM
    • 1,225 Posts
    • 27,607 Thanks
    MMF007
    ' evening All !
    Minus 4 C this morning. De-icing the car involved much scraping, sitting in it with engine running, then ringing DH (I park in a side road opposite our house, no garage ). DH came and did final scrape! I had to ring my first client to say I'd be 15 mins late.

Anyway, the sun came out, my clients were lovely and one wanted to go shopping to Waitrose so not so much hard graft today!

The day got better, too. I treated myself and my auntie to bunches of tulips on my way home and then found that DH had got the tea on without being asked and he'd done mash & 3 veg to go with the leftover lamb

A good day all round.

Hope everyone is staying warm.

ETA - thanks for the virtual bouquet, Silva, it's lovely!! ((0))
    Last edited by MMF007; 07-02-2018 at 9:12 PM.
    I have changed my work-life balance to a life-work balance.
    • wondercollie
    • By wondercollie 7th Feb 18, 7:37 PM
    • 1,179 Posts
    • 8,873 Thanks
    wondercollie
    -4? We had a chat with my son who is dog watching for us. His starter in his truck froze and it!!!8217;s in the shop. He!!!8217;s using my Escape. It was -31, so his truck is in the mechanics (it!!!8217;s a 1989model,) and he walks over to our house to get it out of the garage.

Dog is batching it with his boy/man. When we FaceTimed them, there was an empty pizza box and two beer cans on the table. We were quickly told that WonderCollie hadn!!!8217;t taken up drinking!

A dog needs to enjoy his holiday!
    • karcher
    • By karcher 7th Feb 18, 8:09 PM
    • 1,853 Posts
    • 17,174 Thanks
    karcher
    '

The day got better, too. I treated myself and my auntie to bunches of tulips on my way home

ETA - thanks for the virtual bouquet, Silva, it's lovely!! ((0))
    Originally posted by MMF007
    I love tulips. The last I bought were those to place in the park where my Father died very suddenly many years ago. I always think of him when I see tulips

Fuddle x
    • LilySue
    • By LilySue 7th Feb 18, 8:16 PM
    • 341 Posts
    • 6,900 Thanks
    LilySue
    Welcome LilySue. You have the name of my mam and my grandma. You kinda knocked me off guard there!

Not only are the people here really supportive there's nothing they don't know. I'm always asking them odds and suds of information and I encourage you to do the same. Haha.
    Originally posted by fuddle

Sorry about that Fuddle. I was christened Susan, as my Mum didn't think that the vicar would permit Sue, she's always called me Sue though Lily is what one of my American friends calls me, she said l just wasn't a Sue , and it kind of stuck , so not being very imaginative with online names l just combined my nickname and real name together !
    • karcher
    • By karcher 7th Feb 18, 8:36 PM
    • 1,853 Posts
    • 17,174 Thanks
    karcher
    This is an emergency Fencers!

I have just boiled the kettle to fill my hot water bottle but I cannot undo the stopper. Right now I have a kettle filled with hot water and a hot water bottle full of cold water and a stuck fast stopper

I've tried everything I can think of, damp cloth, dry cloth, putting it in the fridge, to no avail!

This really is panic stations..it's blooming freezing.

Any ideas?
    • Floss
    • By Floss 7th Feb 18, 8:49 PM
    • 4,494 Posts
    • 40,134 Thanks
    Floss
    Try holding the neck of said hottie under the hot tap...
    • karcher
    • By karcher 7th Feb 18, 8:53 PM
    • 1,853 Posts
    • 17,174 Thanks
    karcher
    Try holding the neck of said hottie under the hot tap...
    Originally posted by Floss

Ok thanks, Off to try that
    • MMF007
    • By MMF007 7th Feb 18, 9:09 PM
    • 1,225 Posts
    • 27,607 Thanks
    MMF007
    -4? We had a chat with my son who is dog watching for us. His starter in his truck froze and it!!!8217;s in the shop. He!!!8217;s using my Escape. It was -31, so his truck is in the mechanics (it!!!8217;s a 1989model,) and he walks over to our house to get it out of the garage. !
    Originally posted by wondercollie
    Minus 31 centigrade?? Wow. Coldest I've ever been out in was minus 18 C in Canada, when we were delayed on a flight and they decanted us to a hotel. Unfortunately, I stood in a summer skirt and sandals reading the frostbite warnings at the airport because we were in transit from Hawaii

Karcher, hope,you are warm now!!
    I have changed my work-life balance to a life-work balance.
    • karcher
    • By karcher 7th Feb 18, 9:16 PM
    • 1,853 Posts
    • 17,174 Thanks
    karcher
    Minus 31 centigrade?? Wow. Coldest I've ever been out in was minus 18 C in Canada, when we were delayed on a flight and they decanted us to a hotel. Unfortunately, I stood in a summer skirt and sandals reading the frostbite warnings at the airport because we were in transit from Hawaii

Karcher, hope,you are warm now!!
    Originally posted by MMF007
    Unfortunately not..that stopper is adamant it's stopping!

I can feel how cold you must have been! How to take the edge off what I'm sure was a fantastic holiday, I'd love to visit Hawaii

I've just added another layer of thermals
    • greenbee
    • By greenbee 7th Feb 18, 9:18 PM
    • 12,595 Posts
    • 219,846 Thanks
    greenbee
    Karcher - if that doesn't work, try wearing rubber gloves if you have any. Or using a wrench to hold the stopper so you get a better grip.

This kind of incident is why I have 6 (or is it 7?) hot water bottles. One sprang a leak the other day and I was simply able to replace it with another one from the pile. Having said that, I like to have 3.. not all full, but I can the position them strategically so all of me is warm.

It also helps if I remember to put the blankets on the bed as well as the duvet when it's cold. Rather than remembering when I wake up cold in the morning.
    • monnagran
    • By monnagran 7th Feb 18, 9:40 PM
    • 3,672 Posts
    • 48,574 Thanks
    monnagran
    Karcher, I don't know if you are still fighting with you hwb but if so try threading a bit of metal though the hole in the stopper you are meant to hang it up by - I have used a skewer, a knitting needle or the tin5e of a carving fork - and twist that. It gives you a bit more purchase.

NO HWB. DISASTER!!!
    • nursemaggie
    • By nursemaggie 7th Feb 18, 10:05 PM
    • 2,178 Posts
    • 28,735 Thanks
    nursemaggie
    karcher If you have anything for opening jars try them or another one is if you have one of those none slip mats for a tray that works too.

I have some circles of the same stuff for opening jars. I had to use mine to turn off the hot tap tonight it was stuck on for ages.

tomorrow morning we are going to see a bungalow. We uses to live in one very like it. They would have been identical when they were built in the 70s. Ours had been turned into a chalet bungalow. This one has had the bathroom moved and the kitchen extended. A rear extension built with an extra bedroom and a new bathroom. We saw it on the market last October, right move was not showing me bungalows and when I did a new search it came up. I called immediately but it had gone.

DS got sent it on his mobile phone two days ago from one of the other websites that have not sent me a thing since I registered in October. If the small bedroom is big enough this will be perfect for us. Nice quiet area but not too far from the shops Nice and near to work for DS.

The main thing is "No One" above us but birds, clouds and very high planes.

Polly we have not seen you for a few weeks are you OK.
    • Nargleblast
    • By Nargleblast 7th Feb 18, 10:20 PM
    • 9,068 Posts
    • 57,294 Thanks
    Nargleblast
    Fingers, toes and any other bits crossed for you, nursemaggie - it!!!8217;s about time you and your DS found a decent place to live. Imagine the housewarming party we!!!8217;ll have if you get it!
    Debt free date.....3 August 2015
    Now building up a Doomsday Cash Stash
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

643Posts Today

5,717Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin