Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Knit Witch
    • By Knit Witch 18th Jul 17, 8:29 PM
    • 3,371Posts
    • 30,844Thanks
    Knit Witch
    The Garden Fence - proper Old Style support and chat!
    • 18th Jul 17, 8:29 PM
    The Garden Fence - proper Old Style support and chat! 18th Jul 17 at 8:29 PM
    As threads are going walkabout I thought I would start the next stage of this off - I will try and do the links later!
    V3ry - 389.60
Page 191
    • MMF007
    • By MMF007 5th Feb 18, 6:40 PM
    • 1,195 Posts
    • 27,086 Thanks
    MMF007
    We scattered the ashes of an elderly friend of the family from the ferry across the Mersey. She was a Liverpudlian. The ferry company offer this possi ility on one crossing a day. They stop the ferry in mid-river, cordon off part of a deck for privacy and even provide a shute! It was very moving and unbelievably, just as we had a few moments silence, a fighter jet roared overhead. Our friend would have loved the final 'salute'!
    I have changed my work-life balance to a life-work balance.
    • ivyleaf
    • By ivyleaf 5th Feb 18, 6:56 PM
    • 5,308 Posts
    • 56,534 Thanks
    ivyleaf
    Oh how lovely, MMF!

When we were scattering my brother's ashes another group at the crem gardens had a Lone Piper.....not my brother's favourite instrument
    • karcher
    • By karcher 5th Feb 18, 7:31 PM
    • 1,852 Posts
    • 17,154 Thanks
    karcher
    I'm trying but failing to continue writing and finish a promised email

Tough day today...I worked hard as always but fear it's a waste of time.

Where's that Fencers cruise ship when you need it
    • nursemaggie
    • By nursemaggie 5th Feb 18, 8:50 PM
    • 2,138 Posts
    • 28,138 Thanks
    nursemaggie
    Camelot I read "The ashes talk" and thought when did we start talking about Cricket?

I have just spent all afternoon giving the Housing Association what for as they are blaming all the tenants but the refugees for all the problems with the bins. Why don't they listen. I have written a letter because they can't interrupt and play the race card if I am not on the other end.
    • fuddle
    • By fuddle 5th Feb 18, 9:14 PM
    • 6,286 Posts
    • 95,980 Thanks
    fuddle
    I find myself in a bizarre set of circumstances.

My father in law and his wife are here to stay until Friday. They've chosen to sleep on our living room floor on our caravan seat cushions instead of staying in one of the 3 spare bedrooms my SIL (I've been known to call her Jones') has in her 5 bedroom house. He hadn't even seen my home before he made that decision, just said he felt more comfortable with us.

It's bizarre because it's finally cemented that we are our own advert. No amount of 'stuff' can give us humility and humility is what, ultimately, we need to feel somewhat comfortable around each other. Well that's the only conclusion I can come up with based on this scenario.

I'm under no illusion, this week is going to be very difficult because space is something we just don't have but I will make them as comfortable and as happy as I can. I have to admit to feeling blown away that he's said he feels comfortable with me, his DIL than his own daughter. Is it naughty to feel happy at that?
    • karcher
    • By karcher 5th Feb 18, 9:28 PM
    • 1,852 Posts
    • 17,154 Thanks
    karcher

Is it naughty to feel happy at that?
    Originally posted by fuddle
    Sorry there may be a lot of back ground to all this I don't know and I may get the wrath of the Fencers, but from what you have said yes it is wrong.

Why would you revel in that?

Got my coat already for fear of being lynched.
    • Floss
    • By Floss 5th Feb 18, 9:43 PM
    • 4,435 Posts
    • 39,268 Thanks
    Floss
    Fuds maybe not happy, but a small amount of smugness is entirely appropriate

Karcher you've no need to run, there is a back story at least one whole thread ago, and Fencers are not tested on old thread content
    • fuddle
    • By fuddle 5th Feb 18, 10:03 PM
    • 6,286 Posts
    • 95,980 Thanks
    fuddle
    Karcher I've been opening my soul in these threads for the last 8 years. Sometimes I let people see the inner workings of my mind in order to understand myself so I can grow. I've been a regular member of this thread for so long people know there are multiple back stories and struggles in my life. The main struggle is to just find contentment, peace and happiness.

I type in tears. I wasn't reveling. I was just happy that someone chose me for a change.
    • MrsLurcherwalker
    • By MrsLurcherwalker 5th Feb 18, 10:20 PM
    • 11,547 Posts
    • 160,769 Thanks
    MrsLurcherwalker
    Why should it be wrong to be happy that someone chooses your home over another because they feel more comfortable in your company lovey? that's a real compliment and if it makes you happy it's only to the good. There has been so much unhappiness in your short life having one relative in your corner because they choose to be so is smashing!!!

Karcher I think what Fuds means (not putting words in her mouth though, only my take) is that she's happy because her FIL has chosen to stay in less comfort on a physical level than he would have had staying with another offspring in far grander surroundings not because he doesn't love his daughter but because he feels more at home with Fuds and family. That's what makes her happy love, not getting one over on a sister in law.
    Last edited by MrsLurcherwalker; 06-02-2018 at 9:35 AM.
    Thumpers mum was right - if you can't find anything nice to say don't say anything at all!
    • VJsmum
    • By VJsmum 5th Feb 18, 10:21 PM
    • 5,108 Posts
    • 75,206 Thanks
    VJsmum
    I think it's ok to be happy with your life choices - particularly when they have been criticised by others in your family, yes. it's vindication of your way of life over a more consumerist existence. After all your OH is FIL's child too and you've both had a rough time so getting approval for where you are now is a great thing.
    You're out with a friend in the capital, I'm a thousand leagues under the sea
    You're hovering worriedly over your eggs, And I'm pondering trees
    I'm wandering long, And I'm pondering trees
    For you and me
    Guy Garvey
    • MMF007
    • By MMF007 5th Feb 18, 10:26 PM
    • 1,195 Posts
    • 27,086 Thanks
    MMF007
    fuddle, yes, be happy that they have chosen to stay with you. They will appreciate the care you take to make their stay comfortable and I bet you all have a good time. I know you are not gloating and i am sure you will not make any sniffy remarks because you are a genuine person and not one who is influenced by supposed expensive possessions (unlike 'you know who' of the SIL variety!).
    Now, take a deep breath and relax for a moment or two x (((0)))
    • Nargleblast
    • By Nargleblast 5th Feb 18, 10:58 PM
    • 9,054 Posts
    • 57,062 Thanks
    Nargleblast
    A small house full of love and warmth is worth a dozen icy palaces. Your in laws have by choosing to stay with you confirmed you are on the right path.
    Debt free date.....3 August 2015
    Now building up a Doomsday Cash Stash
    • pandamonium
    • By pandamonium 5th Feb 18, 11:50 PM
    • 111 Posts
    • 1,111 Thanks
    pandamonium
    I'd be happy and maybe, just a little bit smug, Fuddle .

After our house move that didn't happen, I am counting my blessings. It turns out that the house we were going to rent is being repossessed mid month! Where we are may be a bit small, but at least we have a hopefully secure roof over our heads. After the whole sorry experience I have decided that I quite like this house after all and am going all out to embrace small space living. It's only taken me a year and a bit and a lot of money to get to this frame of mind . I am prepared to be content with what I have and actually start making this place more of a home. I've learned this from all you lovely fencers. So thank you all, you are a lovely, if slightly mad, bunch.

We had a lovely evening out yesterday, as youngest panda (well she is 18!) was taking part in a dance performance - she's a full time dance student. Their group did a performance based on the assassination of JFK. Had a really proud Mum moment at her touching performance as Jackie Kennedy.

Hope all those not feeling so well are on the mend.

Panda x
    • MrsLurcherwalker
    • By MrsLurcherwalker 6th Feb 18, 8:47 AM
    • 11,547 Posts
    • 160,769 Thanks
    MrsLurcherwalker
    It's sooooooo cold here this morning the ground is iron hard but we have some blue sky showing and the occasional glimpse of wintery sunshine. I'm going to see what I can put out for the birdies who sit with fluffed feathers in next door's birch trees and literally pounce on any sustenance they see put out for them, poor things!
    Thumpers mum was right - if you can't find anything nice to say don't say anything at all!
    • mardatha
    • By mardatha 6th Feb 18, 9:37 AM
    • 14,746 Posts
    • 140,329 Thanks
    mardatha
    I'm feeding about five thousand of them MrsL They enjoy xmas cake, aldi digestives and shortbread. And it saves me getting heartburn and/or fat!
    We've got a few inches of snow and the RV is out playing in it with his snow shovel.
    Am dead miffed with my gp - my BP is still climbing and nothing being done about it. Had my 3rd 24-hour monitor last Wed and heard nothing, so phoned this morning to ask and found all 3 regular gps off and a couple of locums on. Waste of time getting a locum to do anything, as they always have to ask the bosses for approval. So I'm stuck with BP constantly around 160/100 and nobody listening to me.
    • Floss
    • By Floss 6th Feb 18, 9:43 AM
    • 4,435 Posts
    • 39,268 Thanks
    Floss
    Mar ring NHS Direct...or your local CCG.
    • MMF007
    • By MMF007 6th Feb 18, 9:48 AM
    • 1,195 Posts
    • 27,086 Thanks
    MMF007
    I'm feeding about five thousand of them MrsL They enjoy xmas cake, aldi digestives and shortbread. And it saves me getting heartburn and/or fat!
    We've got a few inches of snow and the RV is out playing in it with his snow shovel.
    Am dead miffed with my gp - my BP is still climbing and nothing being done about it. Had my 3rd 24-hour monitor last Wed and heard nothing, so phoned this morning to ask and found all 3 regular gps off and a couple of locums on. Waste of time getting a locum to do anything, as they always have to ask the bosses for approval. So I'm stuck with BP constantly around 160/100 and nobody listening to me.
    Originally posted by mardatha
    That is exactly why people present themselves at A&E, isn't it?? Mar, I'd give the locum a go. With high BP they will act. What does the NHS website suggest is a dangerous reading? If you go armed with the info they will not be able to fob you off x (((0)))
    • fuddle
    • By fuddle 6th Feb 18, 10:06 AM
    • 6,286 Posts
    • 95,980 Thanks
    fuddle
    mar we're listening. Do you feel unwell or have those physical symptoms again? Your reading with symptoms should be enough to need further examination. Have you any idea what your heart rate is doing? It might be a blessing that only locum's are on today mar. They may just spring into action, get their bosses approval and get you a referral to where ever they think you may be. Personally I'd like to see that you've had an echocardiogram. I know you cannot be bothered to make a fuss but if you don't, no one will.

It's draining not knowing. You can't be allowing anything else to drain you mar. Get thyself a bag of sweeties and use that sugar rush to power you into action! OK, don't. Naughty fuddle. If the GPs won't act can you get a referral to your Addison consultant I wonder? My respiratory one is dabbling in immunology trying to get some answers.

I dunno mar. I just wanted to offer you some support.
    • monnagran
    • By monnagran 6th Feb 18, 10:11 AM
    • 3,618 Posts
    • 47,599 Thanks
    monnagran
    I don't know Mar, that reading looks fairly OK to me, and I'm on medication.

Pretty chilly here too. I put out some raw pastry dough for the birds this morning. The birds annoyed it, (!!tablet. ENJOYED). I enjoyed watching Millie at the patio doors screaming her head off and dancing a fandango with rage.

I intend to spend today going for a brisk walk along the beach, can't waste the sunshine and blue sky, but I'll be muffled up to the eyebrows because the cold is really something else.
    Then I will potter round the house doing a bit of clearing up and sorting out.

Nothing much else to say, so on to

THOUGHT FOR TODAY

it had long since come to my attention that people of accomplishment rarely sat back and let things happen to them.
    They went out and happened to things. (Leonardo da Vinci) (allegedly)
    I believe that friends are quiet angels
    Who lift us to our feet when our wings
    Have trouble remembering how to fly.
    • MrsLurcherwalker
    • By MrsLurcherwalker 6th Feb 18, 10:26 AM
    • 11,547 Posts
    • 160,769 Thanks
    MrsLurcherwalker
    Oh MAR you shouldn't have 'et the hefferlump then you could have just gone maurauding until they listened!!! do you want the other one to get peoples attention with? I'm sure pressure could be applied to a hefferlump rump to make him head your way, just offering like???

Seriously though my GP told me that 140/90 is the acceptable top limit for 'normal' blood pressure for ladies (I use the term very loosely) of our age group, even those on medication. If it goes consistently above that reading then she recommends adding in further meds to control it. Not giving medical advice here though, just passing on what I was told. Get them to listen sweetie, it's too important not to and you need the peace of mind factor with all else that is clouding your life just now! Don't make us apply NURSIE!!!!!
    Last edited by MrsLurcherwalker; 06-02-2018 at 10:29 AM.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,826Posts Today

7,896Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • After the news I'm suing facebook over scam ads, people keep sending me ads with my pic in asking, ?is THIS ad with? https://t.co/lhTmijgnWt

• So Facebook just waxed lyrical about all the things they're doing to stop fake ads. Whoop de whoop. Yet THESE SCA? https://t.co/hP4q6kRuuQ

• Facebook giving evidence I believe just said "mr lewis said there are 50 ads, but we checked and found 1,000s".? https://t.co/4dAe8PCTCb

• Follow Martin