Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Knit Witch
    • By Knit Witch 18th Jul 17, 8:29 PM
    • 3,468Posts
    • 31,676Thanks
    Knit Witch
    The Garden Fence - proper Old Style support and chat!
    • 18th Jul 17, 8:29 PM
    The Garden Fence - proper Old Style support and chat! 18th Jul 17 at 8:29 PM
    As threads are going walkabout I thought I would start the next stage of this off - I will try and do the links later!
    V3ry - £389.60
Page 162
    • MMF007
    • By MMF007 10th Jan 18, 6:24 PM
    • 1,250 Posts
    • 28,090 Thanks
    MMF007
    So today it has been raining for about 3 hours, really tropical rain. We are sheltering on the patio (roof has been repaired).
    We thought we would do a couple of scientific experiments to while away the time.
    Experiment no.1 involved guessing the amount of boiling water to make a sugar-free jelly. We have no measuring jug and a quick browse of empty bottles (hicc ) provided nothing of use.

I therefore boiled water in the kettle and used the markings on the viewing window as a guide. The jelly set in the fridge. When I say set I mean SET. Soooo, more water was boiled and stirred into the jelly and an hour later it seems fine. Ice cream is on standby for later (it's mid-afternoon as I type).

Experiment no.2 involved rum . It was agreed by all concerned (DH and I) that a blind taste test of 2 different rums at 11.30 am was perfectly legitimate. The 2 rums smelt quite distinct and did indeed taste different. Of course I prefer one and DH the other. That's OK, saves sharing!

We then moved seemlessly on to testing the choclates I brought with me, an xmas gift from a client. Can't claim any science went into this part of the late morning, we just randomly scoffed 3 each!

So, a pretty good day so far

In my defence, Your Honour, we did walk a 3 mile round trip early this morning, returning loaded with food (and, if the truth be told, drink ).

And there was me saying we never drink. And it's cocktails with the PM tonight. Hicc

ETA - I like maths and don't mind our alphabet being involved, where I do get anxious is when the Greek alphabet gets involved, too !
    Last edited by MMF007; 10-01-2018 at 6:36 PM.
    I have changed my work-life balance to a life-work balance.
    • monnagran
    • By monnagran 10th Jan 18, 8:53 PM
    • 3,751 Posts
    • 49,883 Thanks
    monnagran
    Oh ho MMF! You will be living up the high life as I write, and I hope you are minding you Ps and Qs and cocking your little finger in the approved manner. We don't want you letting us down.
    Crumbs, you have got organising a holiday off to a fine art, haven't you?

I actually learned Greek for a year when I was at school, I think there was some talk of reading Divinity at University for which Greek seemed to be necessary. All I remember is the alphabet, though I get a bit lost around sigma. Just one of the completely useless things one picks up on one's hobble through life.
    I also liked Algebra. It was just like solving puzzles.

I've been extraordinarily busy today. Made great progress with the book I'm editing, I have hopes of finishing it next week.

I'd like more of these days when everything is in sharp focus. I wish I knew what caused it.
    Last edited by monnagran; 11-01-2018 at 2:18 AM.
    I believe that friends are quiet angels
    Who lift us to our feet when our wings
    Have trouble remembering how to fly.
    • mardatha
    • By mardatha 11th Jan 18, 4:56 AM
    • 14,894 Posts
    • 142,407 Thanks
    mardatha
    Know how you feel monna. I get the occasional day when I'm up with the lark, full of beans and ready to clean the whole house. I tend to overdo it and go mad. Lasts about a couple of hours then back to normal dead slug.
    Up this morning at half four because the cat moaned she was freezing in the bedroom and I had trapped wind in my shoulder blades. So I'm having some medicinal cake with my tea.
    • Hard Up Hester
    • By Hard Up Hester 11th Jan 18, 6:25 AM
    • 3,690 Posts
    • 46,234 Thanks
    Hard Up Hester
    Well i slept quite well last night but could have done without the dream. I had a new born babe though it wasn't mine, I was trying to organise a hotel takeover, there were three companies in the running and one wanted to knock the building down and buy a new one in the centre of town. Along with this I was trying to manage a team of gardeners who were fighting off zombies. Every time I visited the gardeners it involved time travel.
    I've woken up tired and stressed from all the work involved.

Today I'm having Dgd for the morning, she's 3, I need to buy and fit a battery to a neighbours C02 alarm, check on DD1's dog, buy sausages for CHS and get dgd home in time for nursery at 12. This afternoon I have a lesson on social media, Twitter and Instagram I think.
    Chin up, Titus out.
    • monnagran
    • By monnagran 11th Jan 18, 7:52 AM
    • 3,751 Posts
    • 49,883 Thanks
    monnagran
    Glad I'm not the only one Mar. I reminded me of the one time in the early 70s when a doctor prescribed me a mild amphetamine in an effort to lose some weight. She warned me that it may affect my sleep and cause me to go into overdrive and become shaky.
    I slept like a log, was as steady as a rock and no signs of any frenzied activity or shakiness. What I did feel was awake and alert, and for that short glorious time did not have to force myself to move.
    Oh, and I continued to put on weight.

Millie woke me at 5ish this morning. I ordered coffee and toast in bed but she shook her head vigorously and indicated that a handful of doggibix followed by a romp in the garden was the order of the day? She was incensed that I refused the offer of tug-o-war on the muddy patch of ground masquerading as a lawn.

I have an early hair appointment this morning so I'm hoping for a dry walk up to the village so that my head may be rendered fit for public scrutiny.

Hope you survived yesterday FairyP.

Come on MMF, we are waiting for a full report.

THOUGHT FOR TODAY

Today we will live in the moment unless it's unpleasant, in which case we will eat a cookie. (The Cookie Monster)
    • FurryBeastOz
    • By FurryBeastOz 11th Jan 18, 10:33 AM
    • 1,193 Posts
    • 15,845 Thanks
    FurryBeastOz
    Monna I did Divinity, and therefore Greek for a year. It’s ok for reading street signs and occasionally menus but apart from that it bears no resemblance to modern Greek. Latin is far more useful.

HardupHester That was quite a dream. I hate it when you wake up and feel like you’ve already done a full day. The night before last pigpen from the Flyladies appeared in mine. Very weird.

Monna You are NOT supposed to be eating cookies.
    Goals - Weight loss 6/26lb at 22nd Jan 18
    • nursemaggie
    • By nursemaggie 11th Jan 18, 1:42 PM
    • 2,247 Posts
    • 29,680 Thanks
    nursemaggie
    mar The medicinal Cake made me laugh.

Hester your dream sounds like a typical day when you were working or a typical day when you are running around after your family. I have never woken in a morning and not felt like I had already done a days work.

I must have bounced out of bed when I was a child but the only getting up I can remember is not wanting to get up at this time of year, putting out one toe at a time and waking on Christmas morning, slowly creeping to the bottom of the bed and feeling my stocking. I can vividly remember the excitement of finding my Dolls House at the bottom of the bed.
    • MMF007
    • By MMF007 11th Jan 18, 1:48 PM
    • 1,250 Posts
    • 28,090 Thanks
    MMF007
    Time difference and internet connection problems have delayed my report of the soiree!

We had a great time! Us ladies dressed up, all looked lovely and we all wore our cheap dresses

There were endless drinks and trays of delicious nibbles ranging from smoked salmon to mini cheesecakes and fruit kebabs.

A delightful primary school choir sang enthusiastically for almost the entire evening and having finished their main presentation they mingled with the guests and were so engaging it was heart-warming. I spoke to a young lady of 10 y.o. called Shatoria and i was thoroughly impressed. I am jolly sure i would not have conducted myself so well at that age in a room full of complete strangers.

The setting was beautiful, chandaliers and deep carpets, mahogany furniture, flowers arrangements and a lovely large balcony to overlook the immaculate lawns and gardens.

There were lots of photographers and some filming went on. We are going to check the local press to see if we made the front page!

The prime minister made a good speech interjected with humour and it was appreciated by all guests and he took time to speak with any guest who wished to chat. We met the finance minister as well.

After the main event our little group went into the city, to what our hosts described as the back streets, and we had a very late supper in the back of a rum shop. The best fried chicken ever and a bottle of rum, some mixers, loads of ice and great fun was had by all. It was an interesting place. Frequented by night workers such as taxi drivers and others. We were let through to the back and then locked in ' to keep the undesirables out'. Other local folk were eating in the back and we all wished each other a happy new year and exchanged tales. It was fabulous.

Surely a night we shall never forget, 2 extremely different experiences but both wonderful.

X
    • FairyPrincessk
    • By FairyPrincessk 11th Jan 18, 2:17 PM
    • 2,316 Posts
    • 24,678 Thanks
    FairyPrincessk
    MMF--I logged in just to see your account. It sounds lovely.

Monna, I did survive yesterday and was even feeling a bit better...then the motorway was closed and it took us more than triple the normal time to get home. I felt rotten and slept badly after that. Still, I also survived the lecture today with no voice mishaps, although I did spill my flask of tea. Fortunately I had a clean hanky with me. We aren't full timetable this week, otherwise I'd have three more hours of teaching to go.

I cancelled my afternoon meeting and have come home. Still loads to do, but the office is cold and my head is pounding so I can do it at home with a cup of herbal tea and my dressing gown on. I'm trying not to be outraged that I went into work an hour early for a meeting that was not cancelled until 45 minutes until after it was meant to have started.

Right, back to work for me.x
    • ivyleaf
    • By ivyleaf 11th Jan 18, 5:14 PM
    • 5,499 Posts
    • 59,010 Thanks
    ivyleaf
    FPk GGGRRR! re cancelled meeting i hope you're feeling warmer now and will feel better in the morning. *blows kiss from safe distance* x

MMF That sounds a wonderful evening! Something to remember always

HH I hope you have a much more peaceful sleep tonight!

I bought some new bras today. I suddenly felt I couldn't bear bliddy underwiring a minute longer! So I now have some without wiring, and will see how I get on. I needed a cup size smaller, interestingly
    • monnagran
    • By monnagran 11th Jan 18, 5:16 PM
    • 3,751 Posts
    • 49,883 Thanks
    monnagran
    Working my way through......

FBO, I did Latin up to "O" level, which in those days was essential for entry to University. I can't say I enjoyed it at the time but you are right, it has been invaluable all through my life.
    Mind your own business about any cookies I might eat. I'm not even going to tell you about the heavily buttered slices of malt loaf that seem to have found their way down my gullet today. And no snitching on the weight loss thread.

nursemaggie, I have never bounced anywhere, let alone out of bed. Good for you.

MMF that sounds like one fabulous evening. You so deserved that after the time you've had. Remember every tiny detail to impress your snobby neighbours, won't you?

I am concerned about burtha and Karcher. If either of you reads this, could you please let us know that you are surviving...Not wanting to put any pressure on you but we care

FairyP, well done. It's not easy performing in public when you feel under the weather, is it? Adrenalin gets you through it. Reaction sets in afterwards. Rest as much as possible.
    Last edited by monnagran; 11-01-2018 at 5:37 PM.
    • karcher
    • By karcher 11th Jan 18, 8:34 PM
    • 1,853 Posts
    • 17,175 Thanks
    karcher
    Monna I did Divinity, and therefore Greek for a year. It!!!8217;s ok for reading street signs and occasionally menus but apart from that it bears no resemblance to modern Greek. Latin is far more useful.

HardupHester That was quite a dream. I hate it when you wake up and feel like you!!!8217;ve already done a full day. The night before last pigpen from the Flyladies appeared in mine. Very weird.

Monna You are NOT supposed to be eating cookies.
    Originally posted by FurryBeastOz
    FBO I was thinking about you earlier as I hadn't seen you post for a while (well not in here any road)
    I hope you're doing ok x

I'm wanting to send my thanks to a Fencer who brought me to tears, but in a good way. The Fencer in question will know who I mean..thank you so much

I'm wondering why someone (not me obviously) who has had a blessed life and is inundated with friends who really care can be so abrupt with them when they call to ask how they are doing?

Some folk really don't know how fortunate they are

xx

ETA I haven't had chance to read back today so apologies if I've missed something.
    Last edited by karcher; 11-01-2018 at 8:45 PM.
    • Hard Up Hester
    • By Hard Up Hester 11th Jan 18, 8:39 PM
    • 3,690 Posts
    • 46,234 Thanks
    Hard Up Hester
    Monna I have had a message from karcher she is ok. I hope but is ok too.

So today I managed to fall down the steps into the boat whilst carrying a bucket of coal, fortunately i handed on my bum so apart from some Technicolor bruises and a sore coccyx there was no damage done.

DD1's new dog has settled in very well, she seems to sleep most of the time.

I'm having a slug of sloe gin just before I go to bed so I'm hopeful for a good night's sleep.
    Chin up, Titus out.
    • karcher
    • By karcher 11th Jan 18, 9:17 PM
    • 1,853 Posts
    • 17,175 Thanks
    karcher

I am concerned about burtha and Karcher. If either of you reads this, could you please let us know that you are surviving...Not wanting to put any pressure on you but we care
    Originally posted by monnagran
    So so sorry Monna, I missed your post x

Save your thoughts for Burtha...I often think of her too and hope she is ok.

Thank you HUH x
    • Islandmaid
    • By Islandmaid 11th Jan 18, 9:17 PM
    • 2,621 Posts
    • 38,413 Thanks
    Islandmaid
    FPKHope you feel better soon, blooming annoying when things are cancelled at the last minute, especially after they were due to start

MMF Loving the tales of your trip, sounds amazing, enjoy every second of it Hun x

HH Ouchhh... I thought retirement was all serene pootling around, and trying to get on Buses before your pass kicks in slow down woman x

Karcher Hun you sound so down recently - bigs hugs from this side of the Island too, wish I could pop you down on the sofa next to me, press a glass of wine into your hand and be an ear for you x

Just watched the wild cats programme, and Cilla Black, one of our rescue cats was fascinated, sat in front of the TV all the way through
    Note to self - STOP SPENDING MONEY !!
    • Hard Up Hester
    • By Hard Up Hester 11th Jan 18, 9:26 PM
    • 3,690 Posts
    • 46,234 Thanks
    Hard Up Hester
    Tv bliss tonight on BBC 4, three history programmes on one after the other. Elizabeth and Mary Queen of Scots, then Lady Jane Grey finally Fit to Rule.
    Chin up, Titus out.
    • nannywindow
    • By nannywindow 11th Jan 18, 9:46 PM
    • 767 Posts
    • 10,334 Thanks
    nannywindow
    Hester are you trying to join the Clumsy Crew ? Hope you are ok though. Could you ask CHS to rub in some Witch Hazel to bring the bruises out . I'm sure he would oblige .
    Failure is simply the opportunity to begin again, but this time more intelligently
    • MMF007
    • By MMF007 11th Jan 18, 10:55 PM
    • 1,250 Posts
    • 28,090 Thanks
    MMF007
    I hope sore throats and sore derrières soon get better!

Today flew by. How come time on a beach / swimming goes much faster than time spent doing chores. Eistein was not right!

I am not an elegant swimmer but I can pootle along back n forth. Usually I am very wary at first, ensuring I can touch the bottom for at least the first few stokes. This year (yes Darlings, I only swim in the warm sunny Caribbean sea - so it is an annual event!) I was confident from the start and managed a reasonable distance on my first swim. I hope all the walking and swimming is counteracting the disbenefits of rum consumption!

I skyped dad today. Somehow we couldn't see mum n dad but our settings were fine and they could see us. I tried to get mum to change her settings but she got a bit flustered so I left it. Dad said it didn't matter cos he could see us and he had so looked forward to it, he said. Awww. He is still surviving on next to no food . He did, however, sound better than when we last spoke, assume he was buoyed up by the call. I emailed mum later to get the low down and he is very weak and is still not able to walk. He had also been very confused yester, but was a bit better today, apparently. So, as his main nurse told us weeks ago, it is up and down from day to day.

This evening we are having a communal fish fry. Everyone is bringing some food and drink, and our hosts are providing the fish.
    I feel so fortunate to be able to have this holiday, thanks largely to our lovely friends and to some of my redundancy money Actually I can hardly believe it. Never in my wildest dreams would i have predicted that a Caribbean holiday would feature in my life once, never mind a few times!

What things have other Fencers experienced that exceeded their expectations? For me, even going on an international flight seemed beyond imagining when I was a child!
    • Hard Up Hester
    • By Hard Up Hester 12th Jan 18, 8:53 AM
    • 3,690 Posts
    • 46,234 Thanks
    Hard Up Hester
    MMF, so glad you are having a good time.

NannyW I've always been a klutz, nothings changed, but if CHS touches anywhere I'll decapitate him, lol.

IM I'm laid back but far too scruffy to be serene, I don't have the elegance to be serene.

FPK, what a nuisance about the meeting, I hope you feel better soon.

Monna, I can bounce in bed, lol, but not once I'm out of it.

Karcher, maybe guilt explains your friends attitude, it can do strange things to people.

Well I'm mobile today I did wonder if I'd be stiff. I can walk and sit (carefully) driving is agony as is getting in and out the car, but I'll live to tell another tsle.
    CHS got the coal in this morning and his parting words when I dropped him off were 'Try not to kill yourself today!'
    Chin up, Titus out.
    • mardatha
    • By mardatha 12th Jan 18, 9:50 AM
    • 14,894 Posts
    • 142,407 Thanks
    mardatha
    monna have you slept in today?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,873Posts Today

9,034Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • We all knew we'd win in the end. Never in doubt! ....walks away whistling

• Yeeesss. Phew. Wow. Uh. Oy yoy yoy

• It's interesting that 80% of the crowd are young women... According to the close ups we keep seeing anyway.

• Follow Martin