Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Knit Witch
    • By Knit Witch 18th Jul 17, 8:29 PM
    • 3,474Posts
    • 31,706Thanks
    Knit Witch
    The Garden Fence - proper Old Style support and chat!
    • 18th Jul 17, 8:29 PM
    The Garden Fence - proper Old Style support and chat! 18th Jul 17 at 8:29 PM
    As threads are going walkabout I thought I would start the next stage of this off - I will try and do the links later!
    V3ry - 389.60
Page 161
    • Hard Up Hester
    • By Hard Up Hester 9th Jan 18, 7:35 PM
    • 3,699 Posts
    • 46,373 Thanks
    Hard Up Hester
    I don't know Floss, I'll look I to that. Thank you.
    Chin up, Titus out.
    • ivyleaf
    • By ivyleaf 9th Jan 18, 7:44 PM
    • 5,516 Posts
    • 59,221 Thanks
    ivyleaf
    mar Does the RV watch the channel called Movies4Men? i ask because when I visit my bedbound elderly neighbour he is usually watching a cowboy film on that channel. Not all their films are Westerns, but a lot seem to be.

monna OH loves Talking Pics too. I like a lot of what they put on, but I find some of the films' soundtracks (not the music but the actors' voices) too piercing to listen to. The ones I have problems with tend to be the 30s and 40s American ones.

VJsmum glad you're having such a nice break xx

Hester I hope you have a more peaceful couple of days now! Poor little Ella, I'm glad she has a new loving home now.
    Last edited by ivyleaf; 09-01-2018 at 7:50 PM.
    • mardatha
    • By mardatha 9th Jan 18, 7:55 PM
    • 14,908 Posts
    • 142,586 Thanks
    mardatha
    Yes ivy he watches that. I don't mind cowboys but I hate John Wayne.
    Hester I don't watch tv but I watch youtube while I knit. Currently working my way through Basil Rathbone Holmes episodes, I like him.
    • nursemaggie
    • By nursemaggie 9th Jan 18, 8:23 PM
    • 2,263 Posts
    • 29,840 Thanks
    nursemaggie
    Yes I watch a lot of you tube. Not British TV but documentaries from other English speaking countries lots of science stuff, educational material, podcasts, not much in the usual popular stuff in short videos but I do watch the odd cat video. I am sure God made cats to make humans laugh.
    • silvasava
    • By silvasava 9th Jan 18, 8:27 PM
    • 3,731 Posts
    • 59,864 Thanks
    silvasava
    Don't know if you've a dvd drive-in your laptop Hester but how about DVD's from the charity shops? Lots of choice for pennies.
    Small victories - sometimes they are all you can hope for but sometimes they are all you need - be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle
    • Hard Up Hester
    • By Hard Up Hester 9th Jan 18, 8:56 PM
    • 3,699 Posts
    • 46,373 Thanks
    Hard Up Hester
    That's a good idea Silva, thank you.
    Chin up, Titus out.
    • ginnyknit
    • By ginnyknit 9th Jan 18, 10:52 PM
    • 3,577 Posts
    • 42,242 Thanks
    ginnyknit
    I'm another Father Brown and Vera fan. I love the fact that I have stood exactly where Vera stands next to the Tyne silly I know.

Well after a terrible few days with Hubbys temper I am now wife of the year - bloody depression changes drive me mad - I loaded his new cricket scoring programme and something went wrong so following the instructions I deleted it. Of course it deleted last years one along with all his scores from his blind cricket matches and a couple of others he occasionally does. I sat and twiddled a bit till I found all the scores archived on the site and reloaded the new programme perfectly....phew.....he was lucky I didn't just throw the lappy at his head Anyway he is now calmer apart from trapping his fingers in the car door.

I must be doing ok as he topped up my vouchers so I could buy a stand mixer as my hands cant cope anymore. I pick it up tomorrow and have supplies all ready for a big bake up.
    Running on optimism
    C.R.A.P.R.O.L.L.Z#3 camp fire coffee drinker
    Mantra for 2015 - Leave that purse shut.

• Hard Up Hester
    • By Hard Up Hester 10th Jan 18, 5:12 AM
    • 3,699 Posts
    • 46,373 Thanks
    Hard Up Hester
    Ginny, my husband took me to Oxford because I'm a Morse fan and also sorted out a route so we could drive round Midsommer Murders area.
    Chin up, Titus out.
    • FairyPrincessk
    • By FairyPrincessk 10th Jan 18, 6:36 AM
    • 2,319 Posts
    • 24,723 Thanks
    FairyPrincessk
    FairyP, you are dangerous to know. I have long held the dream of conducting my whole life from my bed.
    I believe that Winston Churchill almost perfected the art. What's good enough for Winnie...............

Commiserations on the lurgy. Stay in bed and keep warm.
    Originally posted by monnagran
    Moi? I'd never dream of being a bad influence (I just get on with it!). I've always fancied carrying on a French Salon from bed...like the ones from the 18th century where moneyed ladies invited clever and entertaining people to gather round and tell stories etc. A bit like Winnie, but I fancy the costumes to be more glamorous. Never mind about the reality of having lots of people who didn't bathe regularly in a confined space, I'm not one to trouble about reality.

Fuddle I think I have what you have. I've also heard both accounts of the green gunge and actually know the history of it--I had a fab science teacher in school who taught us interesting stuff that is now pretty useful. I'm not sure how much was on the curriculum, but I still use a lot of it now. For the queasy among you, I'd skip this bit... For a long time they did think green meant bacterial, but as they learned more about how the immune system works they discovered that the color (and thickness) has more to do with the concentration of dead disease cells than if they're viral or bacterial. Your body produces these little immune cells that are like pacman and go around munching up all the disease cells, except this causes the pacman cells to die. They then get carted off (full of dead disease cells) in your excretions like bin liners full of rubbish. The more of them there are, the thicker and darker it will be. Like I said, this is only a school girl account.

Ginny lovely to see you! Glad you managed to get back in the good wife books.

I got up in the night, made a hot water bottle and had a cup of herbal tea rather than tossing and turning. It worked as I did drift off again once I went back to bed, but I also observed some of Maggie the Cat's nocturnal activities. She kept investigating something between the wall and the furniture. I wasn't brave enough to see what it was (and didn't have my glasses anyway), but she was so funny running from one end to the other, her fur disheveled. She isn't interested this morning, either she caught it or it was imaginary (she makes up prey for herself sometimes).

Well, I have a long afternoon of meetings today. There is also a train strike on, so I must get myself down to the station extra early. OH is giving me a lift home but we're going to have dinner in the city first. We can either sit in traffic for 2.5 hours leaving when my meetings finish, or we can eat and then get home at the same time having eaten and considerably less ratty. It may not be exactly all that moneysaving but it will definitely be sanity saving and we think that is worth it.
    • karcher
    • By karcher 10th Jan 18, 6:48 AM
    • 1,853 Posts
    • 17,175 Thanks
    karcher
    Ginny, my husband took me to Oxford because I'm a Morse fan and also sorted out a route so we could drive round Midsommer Murders area.
    Originally posted by Hard Up Hester
    Oh how fab

Midsomer Murders and Morse are two of my favourites.
    • monnagran
    • By monnagran 10th Jan 18, 8:44 AM
    • 3,774 Posts
    • 50,174 Thanks
    monnagran
    Oh how fab

Midsomer Murders and Morse are two of my favourites.
    Originally posted by karcher
    Me too. The best thing about getting old is that however many times
    I watch those two programmes, I can never quite remember whodunnit in the end.

I have woken up this morning with a clear head. It's not that I ever consciously feel foggy minded, but I am often drowsy and as if everything is an effort that I don't want to make. Today is quite different, I feel that everything is in clearer focus. No idea why but I wish I was always like this.

Having re-read the last two paragraphs it is blindingly obvious that I must be on the slippery slope called dementia. I wonder if anyone will notice?

FairyP, you be careful today. Remember that you are still far from well and treat yourself with kindness. Make the best of any little breaks you get. And enjoy eating out.

Ginny, commiserations and congratulations on dealing with the techie stuff. You are a brave woman.

The workmen next door started up the digger at exactly 7.55 this morning. They were also packing up in the dark yesterday. I've taken a note of their telephone number should I ever need great earthworks doing.

Now I must make use of this unaccustomed spurt of energy and get going.

THOUGHT FOR TODAY

I stopped understanding maths when the alphabet decided to get involved.
    I believe that friends are quiet angels
    Who lift us to our feet when our wings
    Have trouble remembering how to fly.
    • silvasava
    • By silvasava 10th Jan 18, 9:03 AM
    • 3,731 Posts
    • 59,864 Thanks
    silvasava
    Hester - if you ever come 'darn sarf' the village of Bosham ( pronounced Bosum by locals) featured in Midsommer Murders and the car chase in one of the Poirot episodes.
    Agree with your TFT Monna - at least I can still do mental arithmetic faster than DGD can use her calculator!
    Have a small amount of washing to do and if it stays dry I'll have a bash at pruning the wisteria at the back of the house. It's a thug but looks so lovely in flower I put up with it, I also need to tackle a few bits of mending.
    FPK - thanks for the explanation - I too thought the colour was an indication of infection.
    Small victories - sometimes they are all you can hope for but sometimes they are all you need - be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle
    • mardatha
    • By mardatha 10th Jan 18, 9:58 AM
    • 14,908 Posts
    • 142,586 Thanks
    mardatha
    I love wisteria, always wanted one. Think maybe it wouldn't thrive up here though - even the Russian Vine died the third winter.
    • VJsmum
    • By VJsmum 10th Jan 18, 11:23 AM
    • 5,177 Posts
    • 76,200 Thanks
    VJsmum
    We had wisteria on our old house. I carefully did the pruning two buds back bit every autumn. One year my OH took the hedge cutters to it

The following year it had never looked more magnificent, people used to stop and comment

I am soaking up sun on the terrace and have just finished my second book of the holiday
    You're out with a friend in the capital, I'm a thousand leagues under the sea
    You're hovering worriedly over your eggs, And I'm pondering trees
    I'm wandering long, And I'm pondering trees
    For you and me
    Guy Garvey
    • ivyleaf
    • By ivyleaf 10th Jan 18, 2:12 PM
    • 5,516 Posts
    • 59,221 Thanks
    ivyleaf
    We used to have a beautiful forsythia at the end of the garden. One year OH got a bit carried away with the pruning, assuming confidently that if he "cut it right back" it would reward us with a magnificent display of yellow blossom the following year.

He now knows that doesn't work with forsythia. It died.
    • silvasava
    • By silvasava 10th Jan 18, 3:14 PM
    • 3,731 Posts
    • 59,864 Thanks
    silvasava
    A little bit of serendipity - I had a visit from our robin while on the steps pruning - about 4 inches from my nose!! He's very cheeky and always hops round in case there's any food going
    • monnagran
    • By monnagran 10th Jan 18, 3:55 PM
    • 3,774 Posts
    • 50,174 Thanks
    monnagran
    Silvasava, I once had a robin like that. He used to hop around the earth that I was digging in the hope of having first dibs at anything I turned up. It's a miracle that he was never impaled on the prongs of my fork.
    He was the one who sat on my kitchen windowsill, tapping on the glass with his beak if I was a bit slow getting the goodies on to the bird table.
    On one occasion he hopped through the back door and I found him perched on the edge of the cat's saucer clearing up the leftovers while the cat watched him from the doorway with eyes out like organ stops.

I often wondered what happened when I moved away, he was my constant companion when I was gardening.
    I believe that friends are quiet angels
    Who lift us to our feet when our wings
    Have trouble remembering how to fly.
    • silvasava
    • By silvasava 10th Jan 18, 4:23 PM
    • 3,731 Posts
    • 59,864 Thanks
    silvasava
    Oh Monna - wonderful!! Mines not quite that brave but if our cat is in the garden too he hops out of reach and swears at her from a safe place lol
    • Hard Up Hester
    • By Hard Up Hester 10th Jan 18, 4:35 PM
    • 3,699 Posts
    • 46,373 Thanks
    Hard Up Hester
    So I've bought Billy Elliot, Shaun of the Dead and a boxed set of Rita Heyworth, 2.48 for the lot.
    What's the betting CHS sits up late and wants to chat for the next few days.
    Chin up, Titus out.
    • nannywindow
    • By nannywindow 10th Jan 18, 5:37 PM
    • 767 Posts
    • 10,334 Thanks
    nannywindow
    Hester Shaun of the dead is my "go to " film if I'm really down. It cheers me up no end. It's making me smile even thinking of it now .
    Failure is simply the opportunity to begin again, but this time more intelligently
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,841Posts Today

6,442Users online

Martin's Twitter