Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • DundeeDoll
    • By DundeeDoll 18th Jul 17, 11:34 AM
    • 3,206Posts
    • 36,164Thanks
    DundeeDoll
    5 OS pleasures in your day today - part 3
    • 18th Jul 17, 11:34 AM
    5 OS pleasures in your day today - part 3 18th Jul 17 at 11:34 AM
    Ok I'm diving in as I've noticed several of us have lost posts we thought had posted, and there now seems to be a serious risk of losing the whole thread. So thanks for the heads up Karcher. (and i sympathise Frith - i too like to nip back)

I've revisited the first thread of our part 2, posted 28th October 2009. It said:
    Time for a shiny new thread The old one had got to 4500 odd posts which amounts to 22,500 OS pleasures (at least) It's so good to know that the OS life can be so rewarding.

I'll kick off the new thread.

1) Homemade bread and marmalade for breakfast.

2) A walk over the Malvern Hills to blow away the cobwebs.

3) Drying the washing outside- still, in October.

4) Watching mydaughter making a game out of sweeping the leaves with her friends.

5) The prospect of collecting a big order of meat from the butcher this morning and having my freezer full for less.
    Originally posted by thriftlady
    Part 2 went on considerably longer so many many more pleasures. And of course life stories shared, support given, tears of sorrow and joy shed. Part 2 I shall miss you, but here's to part 3.
    Last edited by DundeeDoll; 18-07-2017 at 11:40 AM.
Page 90
    • mcculloch29
    • By mcculloch29 13th Jan 18, 6:02 PM
    • 4,771 Posts
    • 47,173 Thanks
    mcculloch29
    Small collection.

1. D. SiL got a present and card on time on her birthday, thanks to Moonpig and Amazon Prime, at times like that the £79 Prime subscription is worth every penny. Another pleasure is that I still have a month's subscription to go, after a free month was added when my Henning Wehn DVD was stolen (I know it was stolen, as something else went missing at the same time.)

2. A parcel of Indian food goodies arrived very promptly. Some of the contents nicer than others - an experimental packet of spicy nibbles tasted foul, and went in the bin. Milk powder handy, and saved a trek to Mr T's to get it.

3. Phone chat to sis, who is coming to stay in May, hooray.

4.Phone chat to friend who mentioned to me that she needed a soft sweeping brush. I have a long-handled one spare, with dustpan. Also that she would like a touch control lamp. I have one that I don't use, as it interferes with my radio, hers is for a radio-free location.

5. Exotic cut price nibbles. I discovered that the lovely truckle of cheese that was a quid in Heron was four quid on the company's website.

6. Your pleasures. Get well soon to your DD, Mhags. Dr C. suffered a lot as a child, and had his tonsils removed aged 11 or so.
    Erma Bombeck, American writer: "If I had my life to live over again... I would have burned the pink candle, sculptured like a rose, that melted in storage." Don't keep things 'for best' - that day never comes. Use them and enjoy them now.
    • Mrs Salad Dodger
    • By Mrs Salad Dodger 13th Jan 18, 8:15 PM
    • 750 Posts
    • 8,629 Thanks
    Mrs Salad Dodger
    Hi everyone,

1. Still have an empty shelf in one of my kitchen cupboards!

2. Have two full bags for cs - to be delivered on Monday

3. New drum composter delivered & cardboard box dismantled & in recycling bin.

4. DH did the shopping and, jumping for joy!, only two additions to my comprehensive list - both were inexpensive treats.

5. All groceries put away & content lists updated within 20 mins!

6. The joy on my DH!!!8217;s face when he realised I had baked some coconut biccies!

7. Received my cc bill today. Had the phone ready to phone bank & pay the bill before opening it & joy of joys the bill was for precisely nil, zip, nada. I must remember to use it once over the next couple of weeks so I don!!!8217;t have it taken away!

8. Met an unknown neighbour, (same name as DH) who seemed very pleasant - he came to pick up the 2 boxes I had taken in yesterday. He was very grateful as deliveries are a problem as he is always at work.

Goodnight one & all

MrsSD
    • mhagster
    • By mhagster 13th Jan 18, 9:26 PM
    • 2,967 Posts
    • 34,660 Thanks
    mhagster
    Just in from an 11 hour stint at hospital. I deserve a medal! DD2 staying in for another night. Waited beyond visiting time as she had been a bit poorly earlier and doctor was coming back round and taking bloods. She's very needle phobic and was very brave if a tad dramatic.

Very peaceful on ward. Nice blethers with staff. Niece and GN came to visit in afternoon and friends in evening.

I'm enjoying dog snuggles before I head to bed.
    • house elf
    • By house elf 14th Jan 18, 7:08 AM
    • 738 Posts
    • 9,943 Thanks
    house elf
    Morning Peeps,

1. DS1 had lipstick on his face all day. Did not go out, and had washed it off by the time he went to work.

2. DS2 asked for a lift into town to buy a birthday present for a friend. Had to go back later to bring him back, as he had bought a big plushy dog (Prouly told me it was half price ).

3. Big chilli for tea. Used up bits and bobs from the fridge, but it is still full of rtc veg.

4. Needed to use a £2 off £20 coupon for Coop. Bought 4 x £5 meal deals. Then had great fun trying to fit everything into the freezer!

5. Had a couple of glasses of wine, as no need to taxi anyone anywhere.

Have a lovely day ........It is our wedding anniversary today......... 26 years ago we got married at the Sugar Cane Club in Barbados. (Not on the beach!)...........we are celebrating today with a Grand day out to Blists Hill Museum and a meal at Zizzi. (Christmas present).
    Synchro Mums - 'Changing the world one sequin at a time' Lady GaGa
    'We have more in common than that which divides us.' Jo Cox
    • villagelife
    • By villagelife 14th Jan 18, 7:29 AM
    • 1,404 Posts
    • 15,495 Thanks
    villagelife
    Happy anniversary house elf.

Less painkillers.

1. Spoke with a friend on the phone. It was good to speak with her.

2. Gentle back exercises. These are helping to a certain extent and are extending the periods between painkillers.

3. Decided I could go to watch rugby. We eventually won from a score that looked like we would be well and truly beaten.

4. DS1 came too. He had a ticket on the other side of the ground but there was an empty seat in front of us so he moved seats. Good to see him.

5. Took him for a meal afterwards. My choice seemed to be better than DH and DS1's

6. Home and back not as bad as it was early in the week.
    • LaineyT
    • By LaineyT 14th Jan 18, 9:52 AM
    • 2,148 Posts
    • 26,472 Thanks
    LaineyT
    Get well wishes for DD Mhags
    Happy Anniversary HouseElf hope you enjoy your day

Saturday pleasures,

Early morning visit to yard, horsey girlie much better after stopping the calmer, back to her well behaved self in fact, only my pony could behave completely opposite to how she was meant to.

Boiled egg and marmite soldiers for breakfast.

After a rubbish nights sleep went back to bed for a couple of hours and managed a couple of hours.

Tiny shoots of green, snowdrops coming up under the beech trees, at last!

Several games of Yahtzee, Capt S won by a margin, no crowing aloud.
    • chella
    • By chella 14th Jan 18, 10:07 AM
    • 275 Posts
    • 1,280 Thanks
    chella
    Woke up to lovely birdsong,and sunshine.

Peaceful cup of tea (teabags were bought for me, my favourite ones)

day 3 of NSD,purse firmly shut

Decluttered 5 bags and given to charity.

Have nowhere to be, a lovely leisurely day ahead.

• Blackbeard of Perranporth
    • By Blackbeard of Perranporth 14th Jan 18, 11:08 AM
    • 5,110 Posts
    • 30,679 Thanks
    Blackbeard of Perranporth
    If you wont finish it, yous no has any more
    Looks like the DD of Mhags needs a good, oh and that goes for any other poorlies as well!

5 Watching the cvricvket and telling huiss is a pu55y if good. lets the old oggl;e box knoiw who is the boss around here!

4 Just done the wekly shop and amazed at the puddings in teh shop. There are baby cauliflowers on reduced for £1.49. I thinks not, though the ready mashed week old double processed food. I bought my tatties inn a bags, ready to turn into roasters, infused with rosemary. Will be with a nice piece of pork bellies and stuffing. That means we has a snorkler sarnioe for lunch. Going to be some tum rubbing today!

3 BoPise who does surf arounds the parish is poorlies today as well. She has earache! BoP has had earache for eons! So ...

2 Thinkings that is games night this very evening and we should be inn line for some live scrabble! Was out yesterday to get the floooring for the boudoir. Sore ted it is. Would have been done last year but apple of big got inn the way! Now all we need is the hay at the mill to get into the horse and make some cloth. Brass is to be earnt!

Here ends your lesson in how BoP does not scope with life and just gets on with it!
    Commemorate Celebrate Inspire
    #RAF100 A century of service!
    • Kittikins
    • By Kittikins 14th Jan 18, 11:15 AM
    • 5,054 Posts
    • 44,083 Thanks
    Kittikins
    Recent pleasures.....

1. Some NSDs (and am just about to spend, spend, spend online.....!!)

2. Have reserved KW and I places at a vegan pop up restaurant at the end of the month. The menu sounds amazing

3. The mortgage offer in principle is in, the survey is booked and we're hopefully buying some chests of drawers off the Vendors

4. After some stroppiness, DD seems to be back to her normal self. Thank goodness for that!!

5. Had a good week at school, but can't quite believe it was only the first full week back after Christmas. Feels like we've been back for ages!
    Sealed tin saving - trying to put everything under £1 in my purse in there each day
    House deposit savings £52,000
    • Frith
    • By Frith 14th Jan 18, 11:40 AM
    • 4,547 Posts
    • 43,018 Thanks
    Frith
    Pleasures for yesterday (Saturday)

1) A lie in!

2) Smaller son decided not to go to his father's for the weekend so I took him to football.

3) Had a trip to Sainsburys and got quite organised - even remembering to buy the ingredients from smaller son's catering list for the next couple of weeks!

4) Bit of a tidy up.

5) Back to collect son from football and his side were 0-2 down. While I sat in the car, they scored 2 goals to equalise so the cheering and drumming were amazing!

6) Went to watch Star Wars (in small cinema town, VJsmum) with smaller son and my brother. I thought it was really good and felt quite wiped out by the end.

7) Watched Casualty in bed on the laptop.
    Odd fact: the inventor of nominative determinism was called Trevor Nominative - Determinism. :-)
    • VJsmum
    • By VJsmum 14th Jan 18, 1:22 PM
    • 5,177 Posts
    • 76,199 Thanks
    VJsmum
    Hello all, back from me ollidies.
    Cold here innit?

Hope you enjoyed Star Wars, frith. DD was very vocally anti it, but I enjoyed it.

Pleasures for the last few

1 lovely holiday was had. It could have been a bit warmer and a bit sunnier if I'm honest but I am not complaining.
    2. We did some lovely walks. Many above cloud level where it was warm and sunny
    3. Lots of uphill bits in the walks that I managed well. I think all the walking has done my dicky leg some good
    4. Kids were ok without us. DD had cleaned and hoovered
    5. Big up for Easyjet who were cheap but efficient..

Have a good day all. We have building work starting tomorrow and need to clear the study. The drains are finally being put back together.
    You're out with a friend in the capital, I'm a thousand leagues under the sea
    You're hovering worriedly over your eggs, And I'm pondering trees
    I'm wandering long, And I'm pondering trees
    For you and me
    Guy Garvey
    • mhagster
    • By mhagster 14th Jan 18, 5:00 PM
    • 2,967 Posts
    • 34,660 Thanks
    mhagster
    Hello. We are home. Grateful for a health system that is free after 7 years of form filling and charges. Lovely friendly staff. A clean ward. Free parking. A healthier daughter than 3 days ago.

A bit of tidying up & a snoozette.

DD1 should be home on a few hours & I will have everyone home. Looking forward to her travel tales.
    • Purple kitten
    • By Purple kitten 14th Jan 18, 5:44 PM
    • 1,858 Posts
    • 20,501 Thanks
    Purple kitten
    1 It!!!8217;s nice to be finding pleasures again in its own right.

2 I!!!8217;ve just sorted through the freezer, we have a little bit of space which is nice, I still need to clear another drawer out, but enough room for a Costco shop.

3 Just meal planned for the week and taken out bits to make tomorrow as we are ordering in tonight, but it!!!8217;s also nice to be meal planning again I know it sounds weird.

4 Had a lovely catch up with the in-laws yesterday, took boxes of DFs art things that are useful to them over, nice to get things moving in the right direction.

5 A whole week of preparing to decorate a room at DF!!!8217;s this week, and they!!!8217;ve finally released his body, so we have a week of appointments, registering his death, and funeral planning, it!!!8217;s a pleasure as its time they did.

Now to order in, using 50% off of course.
    • Frith
    • By Frith 14th Jan 18, 11:27 PM
    • 4,547 Posts
    • 43,018 Thanks
    Frith
    Pleasures for today (Sunday).

1) A lie in.

2) Caught a bit of the Archers.

3) Hens well and they had porridge for breakfast.

4) Did a minuscule amount of homework with smaller son.

5) Jack Monroe's aubergine and spinach satay for tea.

6) Watched the SAS programme with bigger son in front of the fire.
    Odd fact: the inventor of nominative determinism was called Trevor Nominative - Determinism. :-)
    • villagelife
    • By villagelife 15th Jan 18, 6:43 AM
    • 1,404 Posts
    • 15,495 Thanks
    villagelife
    1. An egg from the hens. They have started laying again.

2. Spent some time in the garden. Didn't do too much other than supervising DH. He was clearing an area. I did tie blue string into the shrubs and trees i wanted to keep.

3. Went to garden centre to buy compost with DS2 so I didn't need to lift anything.

4. Saturday night or more like Sunday morning after a night out DS2 arrived home with 4 friends for the night. They left about 10 but bedrooms tidied etc before they left .

5. Hot shower and an early night reading my book.
    • VJsmum
    • By VJsmum 15th Jan 18, 9:17 AM
    • 5,177 Posts
    • 76,199 Thanks
    VJsmum
    Hugs PK - there is some comfort in the organising, I know. But it is still tough. Thinking of you.
    Glad DD is on the mend Mhags

Pleasures for yesterday

1. A soak in the bath watching Christmas Day's 'Victoria'
    2. OH and i did a trip to Aldi in the new car. Stocked up the fridge once more
    3. Delicious home made broccoli soup for lunch and christmas day turkey for tea. Freezers are a bit emptier
    4. Built a filing cabinet to replace the old metal one damaged in 'floodgate'. Was fiddly and is probably too small
    5. Have emptied office and part of lounge as builder is in today putting right the 'floodgate' damage.

Have a good day all - trying to get back to normal now
    You're out with a friend in the capital, I'm a thousand leagues under the sea
    You're hovering worriedly over your eggs, And I'm pondering trees
    I'm wandering long, And I'm pondering trees
    For you and me
    Guy Garvey
    • LaineyT
    • By LaineyT 15th Jan 18, 9:45 AM
    • 2,148 Posts
    • 26,472 Thanks
    LaineyT
    Thinking of you PK tough times for sure.

Sunday pleasures,

Bacon butty followed by hot cross bun for late breakfast, I was hungry!

Driving down track from cottage and a buzzard suddenly flew up from side of verge with something in his claws, slowly followed him down track until he found a perch in tree, stunning bird.

Bach flower remedies, time of year plus various stresses mean somewhat anxious, might be placebo but helping, welcome whatever.

Capt S came to yard with me and cleared field of all deposits, man of many talents x

The army of Saramum was just about to attack Helms Deep when we switched over to watch Vera, irony not lost on us.
    • MrsLurcherwalker
    • By MrsLurcherwalker 15th Jan 18, 9:55 AM
    • 11,818 Posts
    • 164,048 Thanks
    MrsLurcherwalker
    1) I don't have to go outside today (it's Niagara falls out there at the moment) unless the rain stops and then I'll walk Cookie.

2) Having full waterproofs available IF I should have to go outside today!

3) No spend day as all food will be from leftovers/stuff I have in already.

4) Making the decision to buy some jigsaws, we spend far too long reading which IS a pleasure but I've run out of new material and seem to be going round on a loop of old favourites. Something new to occupy us will be good.

5) Cracking on with trying to move and finally there are 3 properties all newly on the market which we'll try to get up to view, should one of them prove to be suitable we'll then get this house on the market and see how we go!
    Thumpers mum was right - if you can't find anything nice to say don't say anything at all!
    • Blackbeard of Perranporth
    • By Blackbeard of Perranporth 15th Jan 18, 12:04 PM
    • 5,110 Posts
    • 30,679 Thanks
    Blackbeard of Perranporth
    More from the Mill Pond.
    Just read that the Surgeon who served on Canberra when I heard that Steve’s brother skid had fallen on Sir Galahad, has passed on. Reading the Obits of heroes is now getting down to our events in the world, instead of the soil of a foreign land! Richard Jolly.

Oh look another birthday VJ?

5 So now we are getting the floor of the boudoir done this week. That now leave enough room to see the railway set being built inn the conservatory. Looks like a game of house chess this weekend coming up! Plan has been sourced. Updates coming during the next few weeks! Unfortunately, there has to be a sacrifice while the railway is built!

4 As you are aware that BoPsie does pop inn the parish. So I am thinking what can wait. BoP has enuff pennies for the railway or a bed for the boudoir! I can only get one and I need help! So suggestions please. Please remember that both will keep BoP entertained and all that!

3 Carve up yesterday. As I was only expecting to do a snorker and mash for Sunday lunch, it ended up as belly pork and all that, served with proper pan gravy. Onions were bound in the gravy as well! We was going to have BoP nips, of carrot and swede crunch. But as BoP is so good and we had one of my veg soups, very chunky veg soup indeed, that it was just cauliflower that BoPsie nabbed at 9 pence after xmas instead! I left them trimmed baby cauliflowers rotting on the shelf! That left the snorkers that were to be inn tea fried up in a pan with onions and served as a snorker sandwich as well! That was just a mid day brunch! Tum was rubbed!

Saying with good food, BoP had his Weetabix this morning, with lashing of proper milk, and also a slice of Jam on toast as well. Set off for the day good and proper!

2 Night BoP is inn the gym proving his beach ready body!

You can only view the wisdom of BoP in this thread. Elsewhere it gets a little more like …
    Commemorate Celebrate Inspire
    #RAF100 A century of service!
    • mhagster
    • By mhagster 15th Jan 18, 6:23 PM
    • 2,967 Posts
    • 34,660 Thanks
    mhagster
    Just had a very nice dinner of steak pie ( extra one made on NYD) , mash, sprouts and broccoli ( RTC) , carrots and cauli that have lasted forever in fridge.

I currently have a tidy house.

Was offered a job today at old work. Thinking!

Had very nice BLTs for lunch. RTC seeded rolls, with 2.5p lettuce , tomatoes that were on special last week and bacon. Delish!

Tidied upstairs cupboard. I left a house filled with cupboard space and I'm back to one with very little. This is a shallow cupboard at top of stairs. Brought a tall shelf unit that had been in son's room back in Oz. it's been a case of chuck it in the top cupboard. So it's now sorted out. And the books that were brought back for GN ( kids books and some of mine as a kid) are in there too.

DD1 told me she would stay for another week. I thought she meant go back next week but she meant stay another week beyond the two she had left. Yay! Went from sad face to happy face! I will miss her but that means we need to make the most of the time left.

It sounds a bit ghastly outside. Snow is forecast. Currently rain. But we are all in for the night.

Going to have an evening of thinking about job situation. Pros ( many) cons ( a few) .
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,901Posts Today

6,709Users online

Martin's Twitter