Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • DundeeDoll
    • By DundeeDoll 18th Jul 17, 11:34 AM
    • 3,206Posts
    • 36,164Thanks
    DundeeDoll
    5 OS pleasures in your day today - part 3
    • 18th Jul 17, 11:34 AM
    5 OS pleasures in your day today - part 3 18th Jul 17 at 11:34 AM
    Ok I'm diving in as I've noticed several of us have lost posts we thought had posted, and there now seems to be a serious risk of losing the whole thread. So thanks for the heads up Karcher. (and i sympathise Frith - i too like to nip back)

I've revisited the first thread of our part 2, posted 28th October 2009. It said:
    Time for a shiny new thread The old one had got to 4500 odd posts which amounts to 22,500 OS pleasures (at least) It's so good to know that the OS life can be so rewarding.

I'll kick off the new thread.

1) Homemade bread and marmalade for breakfast.

2) A walk over the Malvern Hills to blow away the cobwebs.

3) Drying the washing outside- still, in October.

4) Watching mydaughter making a game out of sweeping the leaves with her friends.

5) The prospect of collecting a big order of meat from the butcher this morning and having my freezer full for less.
    Originally posted by thriftlady
    Part 2 went on considerably longer so many many more pleasures. And of course life stories shared, support given, tears of sorrow and joy shed. Part 2 I shall miss you, but here's to part 3.
    Last edited by DundeeDoll; 18-07-2017 at 11:40 AM.
Page 88
    • Kittikins
    • By Kittikins 7th Jan 18, 10:29 PM
    • 5,055 Posts
    • 44,095 Thanks
    Kittikins
    Scone recipe saved to Pinterest, thank you MrsSD x
    Sealed tin saving - trying to put everything under £1 in my purse in there each day
    House deposit savings £52,000
    • Frith
    • By Frith 8th Jan 18, 12:23 AM
    • 4,549 Posts
    • 43,023 Thanks
    Frith
    One of my orchids is also reflowering, Mila - though it was -2 outside earlier.
    Hope trips go well for Ampersand and VJsmum.

Pleasures for today (Sunday).

1) A lie in.

2) Picked bigger son up at 10am as his bike had got a puncture. He never sleeps well when he stays at friend's houses so he slept on the sofa all afternoon, despite smaller son and I chatting/cooking etc!

3) Nice part baked rolls for lunch.

4) Fed the hens, cleaned out their sleeping quarters and had a quick bonfire on the allotment.

5) Sausage casserole for tea.

6) Bigger son went out to games night with my brother and brother in law.

7) I've been watching the Oasis film and QI.

13 years ago today I left my ex husband.
    Odd fact: the inventor of nominative determinism was called Trevor Nominative - Determinism. :-)
    • house elf
    • By house elf 8th Jan 18, 6:16 AM
    • 739 Posts
    • 9,956 Thanks
    house elf
    Morning,

Hello to Mila hope your positive convalescence continues. Itís going to be a tricky few weeks for you and DH while he recovers too.
    Frith a momentous Anniversary.

Yesterday

1. Decorations down and stored. We bought some plastic draw towers last year. Each drawer has itís own colour. Much better than the mountain of mismatched cardboard boxes we had amassed over 30 years.

2. Lunch of cheese and ham leftover from the buffet.

3. DH went to see DMiL. I hitched a lift to Resorts World and spent a couple of hours browsing the beautiful things. Bought two things in Phase Eight vastly reduced because they needed a bit of sewing.

4. Made Hairy Bikers chicken tray bake to use up a pumpkin which has been hanging around since Halloween. Also made lasagne for tomorrow.

5. The Sky while driving back home from Resorts World was beautiful. So clear, it was like being at the planetarium. The colours at sunset were golden with the buildings silhouetted on the horizon.

Back to school for me and DS2. Have a lovely day.
    Synchro Mums - 'Changing the world one sequin at a time' Lady GaGa
    'We have more in common than that which divides us.' Jo Cox
    • villagelife
    • By villagelife 8th Jan 18, 7:14 AM
    • 1,405 Posts
    • 15,524 Thanks
    villagelife
    Had a quiet day yesterday.

1. Spent most of the day in the garden. Mainly in the relative warmth of the greenhouse. It is now clean.

2. Speed some seeds. Some kept in greenhouse and some in the coldframe.

3. Watching the chickens. They do seem to enjoy being allowed to roam over the garden.

4. Seeing the bulbs appearing.

5. DS2 cooked beef stew with dumplings followed by crumble.

DH went to see his Mum(without me) in the evening. He arrived at her care home to be told she was in hospital. She had gone in on Saturday as there was a problem with something at dialysis. Nothing serious. Neither her care home or the hospital let us know she had been admitted. DH said neither seemed concerned that we didn't know. The care home let us know quickly enough when something needs paying and put on a 10% admin fee for it too.
    She will be discharged today probably.
    • LaineyT
    • By LaineyT 8th Jan 18, 9:23 AM
    • 2,150 Posts
    • 26,511 Thanks
    LaineyT
    Gggrr on that care home VL
    Hey Mila glad the recuperation is getting along.

Sunday pleasures,

Bacon butties and catching up on all things Ambridge.

Time spent pottering in the garden, bright but very cold. Along with Rosemary and Thyme still have parsley growing in sheltered herb garden, something fresh to add to winter meals but think this means it will flower next year and then die? need to get my Jekka book out.

Falling asleep on sofa after disturbed night and early start.

Grumpy, soon to be ex, yard owner surprisingly said we could move our horses on to ungrazed paddocks so pleasure is that girlie will have more grass when she went out this morning.

New series of Vera.
    • Blackbeard of Perranporth
    • By Blackbeard of Perranporth 8th Jan 18, 12:09 PM
    • 5,114 Posts
    • 30,701 Thanks
    Blackbeard of Perranporth
    Letís make some noise
    #RAF100 in 82 Days!

5 Ready meal tonight! Prepared Smoked Haddock Kedgeree, with king prawns, served with garden fresh salad. Obviously at this time of year, it is not from the Garden of BoP, but you get the gist! Looks good on paper. As with all BoP meals, they mature stronger than the originals! Tum will be thoroughly rubbed!

4 Bit bitten last eve with the lurgy so hot toddied, proper medicine, as well. Wobbleade cures all. None of that quack stuff around here! Talking of quack stuff, and ordered my go anywhere pills, was inn emporium last day to top up the vitamins! Only to see that their 3 for 2 offers are not on this week, and the NY Glory hunters, sorry punters, had cleared the shelves. Trust me it will not last! Fortunately, BoP has plenty to go on with, and can wait until they drop in price again. Avoid.

For those that need advice from a quack as to which vitamin they should take, and please remember that as with the bookmaker site, and the proper foods you are given a choice off, see above, in BoPís post, that you should seek advice from a professional. BoP was advised by his cardiologist to take Multi Vitamins with Iron, and to keep his beach ready looks, a cod liver oil tablet as well. Other fizzable tablets are available but they are laced with additives to perk you quicker such as caffeine! Nice to get you going, but stop taking them and you find yourself in a worse state. Avoid!

And ifs you want proof that this has kept BoP inn his beach ready looks, then you only has to thank Mum BoP for her force feeding of BoP with proper food as a child and vitamins! Foods that should always be avoided are Broad Beans and Treacle puddings! Please remember that although Mum BoP was good, she always did Boiled Bacon, tatties, and broad beans. BoP never had any pudding as he left his Bored Beans, and pudding was always Treacle sponge! Avoid.

3 On about that, the frog decimal reduced packs of cakes of Jaffa are on offer are classed as suitable this week, so BoP has two in his lunch box today! Get them while they are cheap. On other foods that have been reduced packeted, cheese. Now the same width, but the size of a floor tile instead of a brick!

2 Night is feet up as BoP has been Toddied today! None of that shaping in the gym to keep my beach ready looks!

It was only yesterday that you looked forward to tomorrow and now itís almost gone!
    Commemorate Celebrate Inspire
    #RAF100 A century of service!
    • Mrs Salad Dodger
    • By Mrs Salad Dodger 8th Jan 18, 7:04 PM
    • 751 Posts
    • 8,647 Thanks
    Mrs Salad Dodger
    Gggrr on that care home VL
    Hey Mila glad the recuperation is getting along.

Sunday pleasures,

Bacon butties and catching up on all things Ambridge.
    Grumpy, soon to be ex, yard owner surprisingly said we could move our horses on to ungrazed paddocks so pleasure is that girlie will have more grass when she went out this morning.

New series of Vera.
    Originally posted by LaineyT
    LaineyT,

He is obviously regretting his decision - I am a great believer in what goes around comes around!

Mondayís pleasures:

1. Black bin bag, full to the brim with shredding, now in rubbish bin.

2. Condiments Cupboard sorted out and all contents listed on iPad.

3. Sliding herbs & spices drawer sorted & contents listed + recycled 7 jars + 4 jars in cs bag.

4. All 4 shelves in larder cleaned, contents sorted & listed.

5. No cooking today.

Have a good night one and all.

Mrs SD!!!128578;
    • mhagster
    • By mhagster 8th Jan 18, 7:40 PM
    • 2,969 Posts
    • 34,680 Thanks
    mhagster
    Good evening!
    Chilly chilly here. Heating has been on most of the day, washing hung all over the house trying to dry it.

Nice walk first thing. Stunning sky.

Wrote a list and did most of what was on it which amongst other things included washing, ironing, bathrooms and floors.

Had a snoozette. Not had one for a while!

Friend popped in and had a blether and then Haggis and I walked her home. Then had a quick hello to another friend who was driving past.

Made pasta with an eclectic mix of veg ...sprouts , mushrooms, red onion, pepper, garlic, bacon and a tub of soft cheese lobbed in. Was tasty enough.
    • Kittikins
    • By Kittikins 8th Jan 18, 7:46 PM
    • 5,055 Posts
    • 44,095 Thanks
    Kittikins
    1. Vera, do love the scenery and the acting

2. NSD yesterday and today.

3. Picked up the dresses I ordered to wear to my brother's wedding and am relieved that I'll be able to get a refund as they are not dusky pink, but salmon!! I didn't even take them out of their bags....and am so glad I kept the shrug last week to go with my lovely navy dress!

4. Great day at school - the children were all sparky and fun, and I was very impressed with how much French they'd remembered from last term

5. Cuddles with DD and the anticipation of cuddles with KW tomorrow.

6. The prospect of getting into bed and snuggling down soon. I'm feeling quite hot and cold and think that a cup of hot squash, a paracetamol and a good sleep are in order!
    Sealed tin saving - trying to put everything under £1 in my purse in there each day
    House deposit savings £52,000
    • Frith
    • By Frith 8th Jan 18, 11:25 PM
    • 4,549 Posts
    • 43,023 Thanks
    Frith
    Pleasures for today (Monday).

1) Some tasty meals today including Jack Monroe's aubergine and kale satay for tea (except I used spinach).

2) Smaller son still off school but on the mend now.

3) My sister is a step closer to moving house and might complete by the end of the month!

4) Hens well.

5) Bigger son had an interview for an apprenticeship and was really happy with how it went. He said he asked more questions than the chap and will hear on Friday.

6) Had my haircut and eyebrows done (at last).

7) Watched First Dates hotel.

8) In bed with 1hwb and about to listen to the radio.
    Odd fact: the inventor of nominative determinism was called Trevor Nominative - Determinism. :-)
    • villagelife
    • By villagelife 9th Jan 18, 7:02 AM
    • 1,405 Posts
    • 15,524 Thanks
    villagelife
    MIL still in hospital. She had a scan but no one available to be able to look at it and make the decision of what to do.

1. Lunch provided at work.

2. Two friends at work when i needed them.

3. Cooked new dish for tea which was easy and tasty.

4. Watched Silent Witness.

5. Had some chocolate.
    • mcculloch29
    • By mcculloch29 9th Jan 18, 8:07 AM
    • 4,771 Posts
    • 47,173 Thanks
    mcculloch29
    Enjoy the holidays & and Vjsmum, looking forward to reading about your adventures.

Mculloch, I found Terry Prachett last year, almost literally, a book stall decided it was shutting down and left its stock at a steam fair, it seemed sacrilege, so I picked up what I could carry, things where I knew people would be interested and also picked up The colour of Magic, the Wee Free men, and Mort which is my favourite so far, and I!!!8217;m currently reading Sorcery, so a whole world literally lies ahead. Thank you for the recommendation I look forward to reading it.

I discovered Down with Skool a few days ago in my dad!!!8217;s things, it was a gift to him in 1955 on his 21st birthday from his brother. I!!!8217;ve started reading it, and researched it came from the creator of St Trinians, Molesworth I!!!8217;m sure will be next but I!!!8217;d like to !!!8220;find!!!8221; it e.g. in a 2nd hand shop. I know I can pick it up on Amazon, but there!!!8217;s something about finding it.
    Originally posted by Purple kitten
    Thank you PK.
    Wow, TP doesn't make it into many second-hand places as yet, though as time goes on, and houses are cleared, I guess that will happen. Mort is excellent.

Geoffrey Whillans and Ronald Searle, Molesworth's creators, were so talented.
    I think I might treat myself to Ronald Searle's Changi book
    (Edit: Done. Arriving tomorrow.)
    Uncle John, my brother's father in law, was at Changi. Much as I love my Japanese clients it would be good to remember this, too.
    Last edited by mcculloch29; 09-01-2018 at 8:09 AM.
    Erma Bombeck, American writer: "If I had my life to live over again... I would have burned the pink candle, sculptured like a rose, that melted in storage." Don't keep things 'for best' - that day never comes. Use them and enjoy them now.
    • mcculloch29
    • By mcculloch29 9th Jan 18, 8:15 AM
    • 4,771 Posts
    • 47,173 Thanks
    mcculloch29
    If you click on this link a pic of the Molesworth Down with Skool skool dog, looking like Theresa May, is in the photos of the inside of the book.
    ( Apologies if this offends anyone!)
    Erma Bombeck, American writer: "If I had my life to live over again... I would have burned the pink candle, sculptured like a rose, that melted in storage." Don't keep things 'for best' - that day never comes. Use them and enjoy them now.
    • Blackbeard of Perranporth
    • By Blackbeard of Perranporth 9th Jan 18, 12:08 PM
    • 5,114 Posts
    • 30,701 Thanks
    Blackbeard of Perranporth
    Oh the poor luvvies!
    Minds me of the three monkies. Or was it Simon Sees, Simon Does! Not one word about FGM then! As for the dresses, I was thinking No More Heroes, side one, track four! Proper men in black! Oh, and the chat show host wants to run as well.

One thing is, Billy lobbed lots of arrows from Riyadh when I was there! Donald has not!

One thing I have checked recently is our run through on herbs and spices. Rosemary, ground in pan for proper roast tatties. Well used. Termites, used for the kedgeree, as with the parsley, which as you know, is also added to the parsley sauce, with mustard. Also coriander, leaf and ground, with cumin for the curry (None of that so called curry powder!). We donít keep ginger in the jar, we use proper ginger! Chopped garlic is used because it keeps longer! Lemons are freshly squeezed and none of that Jif carp.

5 Fested on the Kedgeree late last evening and as I said Tum was well rubbed as well!

4 Watched the Uni Challenge last night, nearly caught up, but I see the result of the competition has been leaked! BoPsie was on form with answers as wells. Treats were laid on for Raffles, but he wanted his own!

3 Now as yous knows at the mill, we have turned up the furnaces for the year, it seems that the coals are too hot too handle at the mill. We are having to look at the thermostats to bring the fires under control. Outside the new bales of cotton are being loaded up.

2 As I talk about the bales of cotton, I forgets to mention that pension went up by 50% last year! All looking good to be happy BoP shortly! Unfortunately BoP could crash out now and put logs onto the fire. That would be like a busmanís holiday!

The lion has been set loose at the wobbleade emporium
    Commemorate Celebrate Inspire
    #RAF100 A century of service!
    • mhagster
    • By mhagster 9th Jan 18, 7:45 PM
    • 2,969 Posts
    • 34,680 Thanks
    mhagster
    Another perishingly cold day.

Quickest of dog walks first thing, a scraping of the car windscreen and a stop, start journey into town first thing.DD2 had a GP appointment...she was surprised when we just walked out at the end...we are used to signing and paying.

Very nice cheese scone. Then managed to get shoes, trousers and shirt for DD2 interview tomorrow, in the sales. Did not possess anything remotely suitable. Also got 4 rolls of wrapping paper for later in this year , 24p a roll! May have wandered into M&S but it's not a supermarket is it? Bought some daffodils. And what I thought was apricot Swiss roll ( my favourite) and wondered why it tasted funny...passion fruit!

Home, via hairdresser to make an appointment for tomorrow .

Longer doggy walk.

Sorted out garage a bit more. Got shelves up and lots of boxes emptied and in my car for tomorrow .

Veggie box arrived. For £12 I got 6 apples, 4 pears, 4 bananas, 6 tangerines a melon, a huge turnip, 3 large onions, 3 kg potatoes, 3 peppers, celery, 2 leeks, lentils, bacon, broccoli, mushrooms. It's certainly cheaper than it would be at a supermarket.

For tea we had a pie from freezer, mashed potatoes and roasted parsnips from RTC pre Christmas , RTC sprouts, cabbage and cauli that have been in fridge for a while! There's a RTC rhubarb pie for pudding.

Friend popped in this afternoon and OH bestie came in with an application form he'd kindly printed for me....he's printed twice incase I make a mistake
    Last edited by mhagster; 09-01-2018 at 8:03 PM.
    • Mrs Salad Dodger
    • By Mrs Salad Dodger 9th Jan 18, 8:25 PM
    • 751 Posts
    • 8,647 Thanks
    Mrs Salad Dodger
    McCulloch29; I think if my DH is anything to go by, TP books never make it out of peopleís houses. Apparently they can be read & re-read often, as the reader notices new things every time!

Cheers

Mrs SD
    • Frith
    • By Frith 9th Jan 18, 9:13 PM
    • 4,549 Posts
    • 43,023 Thanks
    Frith
    Pleasures for today (Tuesday).

1) Not a bad sleep.

2) Smaller son back at school - hoorah!

3) Got quite a lot of things done a.m. Washing, tidying, a boring mortgage form, phone calls and the new part came for the woodburning stove and I mended that.

4) Hens well.

5) Tasty food today - porridge, blueberries and banana for breakfast, HM veg soup for tea and yesterday's aubergine and spinach satay for tea.

6) Went into mortgage company after lunch and they were quite helpful.

7) Had a cup of tea in town with my school friend.

8) Just watched Holby City.
    • Mrs Salad Dodger
    • By Mrs Salad Dodger 9th Jan 18, 9:38 PM
    • 751 Posts
    • 8,647 Thanks
    Mrs Salad Dodger
    Todayís pleasures:

1. Window cleaner made his first visit of the year. He & his wife Ďdonít do XMasí but I always give him a little something each year. This year he is putting it towards savings for a trip in March. Proper os window cleaner - walks round with his ladder etc.

2. Trip to cs by bus was really quick - 1hr 20m round trip as I didnít get distracted!

3. Lovely smell wafting in from kitchen - the fruit cake I just baked for DH as he has nearly finished all his hm biccies!

4. Cousin phoned with an invite for lunch early next month. Looking forward to seeing all the family including her brotherís new baby.

5. DSis phoned - she received one of the two parcels I sent. Has put in a request for a couple more boxes of Brek the Ready, as she canít get it in France.

6. Hm Stilton & potato pie + hm bacon & Stilton scones - nom nom nom. Enough leftovers for DHís lunch tomorrow. Have also emptied the fridge slightly - last of the veg, last of the buttermilk & last of the double cream. I am really enjoying making soup - much to my surprise!!!!128521;!!!128563;

7. 2 loads of washing done & last of the drying in atm.

8. Already started next cs bag.

Have a good night everyone.

Mrs SD!!!128578;
    • house elf
    • By house elf 10th Jan 18, 5:18 AM
    • 739 Posts
    • 9,956 Thanks
    house elf
    Morning,

Well done on the de cluttering Mrs SD. Now I am back to work, all useful things have to stop, cos I am too tired when I get home

Monday

1.Got to work early, cos did not have to drop DS2 at school. ( He had an extra training day in bed!)

2. Worked my way through the emails. No crisis I could not solve.

3. New term, new dress. Iím so shallow.

4. Got lots of points buying tins of beans in Mr M.

5. Lasagne for tea with rtc asparagus.

6. Mad Men cookbook has arrived, so watched a couple of episodes and perused my book.

Tuesday

1. Admin day. Sorted meetings for next 2 months. Feel organised.

2. Mr M after work to get more beans and more points!......free beans!

3. Got home in time to drop DS2 at cadets.

4. Spaghetti Carbonara for tea.

5. Watched another Mad Men before bed.

26 years ago today, we were flying out to Barbados to get married
    Synchro Mums - 'Changing the world one sequin at a time' Lady GaGa
    'We have more in common than that which divides us.' Jo Cox
    • VJsmum
    • By VJsmum 10th Jan 18, 8:47 AM
    • 5,177 Posts
    • 76,200 Thanks
    VJsmum
    Well, yesterday was fab

1. Wanted to go walking but did our homework and pre booked the parking. The only two hour slot we could get began at 9 o'clock so we had to get up early to get there. But wow, the early morning light was fab and we had the walk to ourselves for the most part. Stunning views.
    2. Then drove to the west coast for coffee in the warm sunshine. Lovely
    3. Then drove up up up and found a fab restaurant for lunch overlooking the sea. Lovely grilled squid was consumed
    4. Then we drove up up up some more to the highest point. We were way above the clouds and could see Tenerife and La Gomera. It was stunning and not that cold. Beautiful drive down too
    5. Ate tea on the terrace. To a cacophony of frog chorus and crickets.n leftover spaghetti Bol (small portion each) with bread and meat and cheese. And wine...

Perfect day
    You're out with a friend in the capital, I'm a thousand leagues under the sea
    You're hovering worriedly over your eggs, And I'm pondering trees
    I'm wandering long, And I'm pondering trees
    For you and me
    Guy Garvey
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

92Posts Today

2,255Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Ah these care free days of watching #ENG score 5 goals in the first half of a World Cup match. It reminds me of... Never.

• Then it should be. It's not some accident. It's deliberate grappling https://t.co/UxVTuUSNio

• Penalty yes but time someone was sent off for these wrestling moves #WorldCup

• Follow Martin