Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • DundeeDoll
    • By DundeeDoll 18th Jul 17, 11:34 AM
    • 3,715Posts
    • 41,922Thanks
    DundeeDoll
    5 OS pleasures in your day today - part 3
    • 18th Jul 17, 11:34 AM
    5 OS pleasures in your day today - part 3 18th Jul 17 at 11:34 AM
    Ok I'm diving in as I've noticed several of us have lost posts we thought had posted, and there now seems to be a serious risk of losing the whole thread. So thanks for the heads up Karcher. (and i sympathise Frith - i too like to nip back)

I've revisited the first thread of our part 2, posted 28th October 2009. It said:
    Time for a shiny new thread The old one had got to 4500 odd posts which amounts to 22,500 OS pleasures (at least) It's so good to know that the OS life can be so rewarding.

I'll kick off the new thread.

1) Homemade bread and marmalade for breakfast.

2) A walk over the Malvern Hills to blow away the cobwebs.

3) Drying the washing outside- still, in October.

4) Watching mydaughter making a game out of sweeping the leaves with her friends.

5) The prospect of collecting a big order of meat from the butcher this morning and having my freezer full for less.
    Originally posted by thriftlady
    Part 2 went on considerably longer so many many more pleasures. And of course life stories shared, support given, tears of sorrow and joy shed. Part 2 I shall miss you, but here's to part 3.
    Last edited by DundeeDoll; 18-07-2017 at 11:40 AM.
Page 438
    • PaulieHerts
    • By PaulieHerts 14th Jan 20, 10:21 PM
    • 14 Posts
    • 248 Thanks
    PaulieHerts
    Evening

DFV. Yes Crete is fabulous- wonderful scenery , friendly people, crystal seas, lovely food. Few more tourists now from when Ferryman was filmed!

For today:
    First swim of the year and managed 40/lengths
    Shopping in Lidl afterwards and it wasn’t too busy (I hate shopping of any kind)
    Friend popped in for lunch and I shared my kitchen plans
    Few more bits put away ready for above
    Huge pot of savoury mince made. Enough for a few days and can turn it into something different

Night all
    • Frith
    • By Frith 14th Jan 20, 10:48 PM
    • 5,318 Posts
    • 50,644 Thanks
    Frith
    Pleasures for today (Tuesday)

1) Not a bad sleep.

2) Worked in the morning in the museum. Went to look round the store.

3) Popped to Sainsburys.

4) Hens OK.

5) Saw my school friend for a cup of tea.

6) Watched the FA cup match with smaller son.

7) Realised last night that the 3rd series of the Detectorists in on iplayer, so I shall watch another episode or two just now.
    Never took piano lessons
    But baby you're a grand
    And I will learn to play the good notes
    And tune you up the best I can
    • Purple kitten
    • By Purple kitten 15th Jan 20, 12:06 AM
    • 2,198 Posts
    • 24,435 Thanks
    Purple kitten
    1 How have I only just discovered Silent Witness, on itís 23rd Series, glad Iíve found it now thou.

2 I popped out to Aldee but didnít walk as I decided it was both raining and a big shop, but how disappointing, it was like the place had been ramsacked and the last time it was stocked was before Christmas.

3 I started on my latch hook Christmas present, sort of therapeutic, hours to do 3 rows thou I wonít be fast.

4 Fish for tea, sadly breaded and not with chipsÖ

5 So far the fences are still upright against the winds, althou I did have a I wonder what that noise is, to discover the neighbour trying to reinforce his fence from falling over.
    • supersaver1000
    • By supersaver1000 15th Jan 20, 5:49 AM
    • 2,233 Posts
    • 13,984 Thanks
    supersaver1000
    Balan thank you. That's so helpful, I am going to remind myself of this regularly. I have also just read the Helen Mirren link from DfV. Valuing yourself and being in control is a strength which in itself is almost a silent FU.

Thank you both

But most importantly that my life, time, feelings, heart, mental wellbeing are precious and that they belong to me. And it is up to me to protect all of those things.

I am not perfect and have relationships to repair. But in beginning to value myself for the first time, taking ownership of myself, I can see where I have been wrong. So, no more kneejerk reactions but considered ones. Reactions that allow me to be more understanding to others and being kinder to myself.
    Originally posted by balabooberlies
    Homeowner wannabe by May 2020 :: Last few student loan payments by April 2020
    Fashion on the Ration £22.60 spent - 59/66 vouchers left :: 5 pleasures/day
    Grocery Challenge £348.46/£300 : : Saving for Xmas 2020 £24.08/£366 saved (£1/day)

Frugally Fab, Flylady & Sewing Thread Lurker & should start up an Exercise regime
    • CRANKY40
    • By CRANKY40 15th Jan 20, 7:35 AM
    • 3,417 Posts
    • 37,283 Thanks
    CRANKY40
    Good morning all. Yesterdays pleasures....

Doing the weekly food shop after dropping the HT at school and still being home before 9am.

Not a work day so did some baking. Cakes and biscuits for friend with injury, brownies for HT.

A quiet hour with best friend for coffee and a chat before school run time. I delivered his cakes and biscuits so we tried them out. Cake for him, biscuit for me.

Text from HT - could he help at parents evening and could I give his friend a lift home sfter. I told him to bring friend home for tea as well as they only had an hour before they had to be back. Managed to produce sausage, mash, veg (all from freezer), yorkies and gravy so they went back well fed.

Early night to see off the last of my migraine. It's rare that I get the really bad ones like this. Usually I take the pills and it goes. This one came with a headache the day after and tiredness yesterday. I decided that an early night would do the trick and I do love my bed I was going to read for a but but decided against it as that kind of thing leads to being awake at 2am saying "Just one more chapter" to myself.
    • MrsLurcherwalker
    • By MrsLurcherwalker 15th Jan 20, 7:45 AM
    • 13,984 Posts
    • 189,573 Thanks
    MrsLurcherwalker
    A super lovely day yesterday when we took DD1 and the Frieda child with us to visit DD2 who had the Oreo child and the Kia child at home that day.

Little O wanted Oma to play with the zoo so we skittered up to the playroom and spend most of the day setting up pens of animals and the airing cupboard apparently became a camper van and we had to get in, close the door and drive (Little O being driver) from pen to pen of different animals. Such fun!

The road home wasn't flooded despite much rain and huge puddles across the road at various points.

Back in the shop on normal routine this morning for me.

A dubious pleasure is that today HWK goes for his operation and hopefully an ending to all the pain and discomfort that has been his for most of the past year. The pleasure will be a) knowing he's awake and OK afterwards and b) getting him fit in the fullness of time so he can work his beloved allotment as long and as much as he wants to, having him pain free and able to walk again for pleasure in the afternoons/weekends instead of having to find small circular loops he can cope with, just!

It's going to be a long day and I'm glad I'm occupied this morning with good people who I love to bits. HWK's op is scheduled for 1.30 this afternoon so I'm going to stay busy in the house and wait for that phone call. DD1 and lovely James are picking him up and bringing him home either later this evening or tomorrow depending on how he is after the anaesthetic and I will be very glad for all of us when it's all over as at least I can do something to help when he's home again.
    You've always had the power my dear, you just had to learn it for yourself!

Ours is not to wonder what is fair in life but finding what may be, make it up fair to our needs.
    • VJsmum
    • By VJsmum 15th Jan 20, 7:49 AM
    • 5,717 Posts
    • 83,228 Thanks
    VJsmum
    Morning all - I am back in the country and on the early train to London. reality bites!

Pleasures for yesterday

1. Last of the warm sunshine - but we did get a lot of it, more than expected
    2. Last of the fab scenery - crystal blue seas and dramatic, lava, landscapes and hills
    3. Last of the lovely fishy meals - in a little cove only a mile or so from a sprawling resort, but you'd never know
    4. outside terrace at the airport, for a final hour of sunshine, all airports in warm sunny places should have one
    5. uneventful flight (as they should be ). I read an entire book and listened to last week's newsquiz that i'd downloaded. Uber home (sod it, why not?)
    6. Seeing DD (DS came home late so I missed him)
    7. Receiving notification that a parking fine had been waived (paid for the uber)
    8.My bed...

Have a good day all - I expect I won't....
    I wanna be in the room where it happens
    • LaineyT
    • By LaineyT 15th Jan 20, 8:31 AM
    • 3,040 Posts
    • 37,973 Thanks
    LaineyT
    Glad that everything is coming together DFV, the tell us once service was a blessing when dealing with DMís death.
    Hope meeting goes well VJS.

Tuesday pleasures,

Off out to the yard early and forgot to give small dog her chew stick, luckily Capt S was still there and noticed but apparently her reproachful look was priceless.

The beautiful grey one had a physio session, small niggle of a clicking neck that we think may be tooth related but otherwise in good nick, he showed me some more stretches to do but says the current ones are really working.

I got sooo cold though standing around for the hour and couldnít warm up for ages, veggie soup for lunch helped.

Snap on the footie Frith but only had half an eye on it whilst playing Freecell.

Late night texts with DB, he was feeling shaky as today is 3 year anniversary of losing our lovely Mum, such bittersweet memories of being in the hospice but mostly just remembering what a fantastic person she was.
    • ampersand
    • By ampersand 15th Jan 20, 9:20 AM
    • 8,661 Posts
    • 34,686 Thanks
    ampersand
    Reading so much that's wise, mixed with sorrow, uncertainty, lightness, anticipation, some trepidation, smiles and laughter, and courage - all real, all here on this good Thread. Wonderful input with all our recent newbies, previous lurkers, returners, THANKYOU all.

1. Yesterday took its own shape. Something of a crisis mtg on Monday had & guarding late opening cs, explaining to those arriving. Income must rise. We keep/run several houses and a food bank, giving c.30 local homeless youngsters their own safe lockable room and supporting referred families. From security into apprenticeships/College/stable work and lives - that's the hope and aim.
    There is no doubt that government policy and brex-SH-it are worsening everything and every aspect of what we do. Thus, & brought trailer in early yesterday, ended up doing unplanned whole day and several big furniture deliveries, with 2 of our lads and other wotnot. Firm talk, no smoking in &'s car. No mob. use. Attention span building. Widen horizons. Then, with customers and using their youth, strength, height loading, traps, ropes etc. Then seeing the effect of praise and gratitude, backed by & as we completed each job....and forcing spookymens chorale music on them in car. Amazed, listening, asking to repeat.
    New experiences, unexploitative, not harmful. This is what's good. Have threatened rugby training, seed planted :-)
    Told tall bright N that he and & had palindrome ages....he worked it out, liked it.

2. Irish grandmother's birth certificate has come. Another step to yurpean passport freedom :-)

3. Wonderful Mill Rd local history group talk last night, Town of Gown - Duncan Mackay, Lainey :-) Terrific. Detached trailer at &squat en route. Checked everything, trees, roofing etc.

4. Left talk with Storm Brendan much worse than Monday night. Looking out this morning, all seems ok AND, like vjm, know dawn is dawning earlier, more light. Looking out, 1st thing, light not on...that's an A* & osp.

5. Call and msg exchange from Ciaran Roberts-Osterberg and his mum, posts passim. Has done his first term at Berklee, is on The Dean's List! = full marks+exceptional report in all fields, tests, assignments, compositions, performance. Flew back from Dundee home crimbo and New Year yesterday. & is helping, tiny bit weekly, during 4year course.
    #
    Spits prep. today. Wish & well please, lots of recent donating(but necessary), car things, that 2nd passport+ citizenship register means certified docs and photos and several fees and may take a year!!!(Groni site's latest estimate, such has been the influx of applications).... can still do this, but realistically won't always be able to. &'s alarm set for 0230h, as usual for Spits.

So, with Raffles yellow facility/faculty slightly off-colour(shine again soon, please).... blessings all round, dfv, Suffolk Sue and Mrs LW in further focus today.
    CAP[UK]for FREE EXPERT DEBT&BUDGET HELP:01274 760720, freephone0800 328 0006
    'People don't want much. They want: "Someone to love, somewhere to live, somewhere to work and something to hope for."
    Norman Kirk, NZLP- Prime Minister, 1972
    ***JE SUIS CHARLIE***
    'It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere' FranÁois-Marie AROUET

• ampersand
    • By ampersand 15th Jan 20, 9:52 AM
    • 8,661 Posts
    • 34,686 Thanks
    ampersand
    Extra -
    Book of farce's isihac Appreciation Society Thread is a rich and varied Best Medicine source. This one, started by one Reen Watson, has really taken off, asking for tales of apprentice woes, silly tasks etc. Lots of innocents sent to fetch long weights, tartan paint etc.

https://m.facebook.com/reen.watson?groupid=2205128322&refid=18&ref=m_noti f&notif_t=group_comment_follow&_ft_=top_level_post _id.10157244007283323%3Acontent_owner_id_new.10000 4692607434%3Astory_location.6&__tn__=C-R
    Enjoy:-)
    'People don't want much. They want: "Someone to love, somewhere to live, somewhere to work and something to hope for."
    ***JE SUIS CHARLIE***
    'It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere' FranÁois-Marie AROUET

• mrs motivated
    • By mrs motivated 15th Jan 20, 10:13 AM
    • 1,254 Posts
    • 5,397 Thanks
    mrs motivated
    Morning Everyone, some interesting pleasures been going on for everyone.

Ok my lovelies, pleasures for yesterday.

1. Finished work early so took myself off to the beauticians, facial, mani, pedi ....the full works and feel like a new woman this morning.

2. Work diary somehow double booked me for Friday, both quite important that I attend, but managed to juggle timings a little bit ....breathes a sigh of relief.

3. Mr M arrived home bearing gifts of flowers....still trying to figure out what he’s done wrong lol

4. Pooches walked and we didn’t get to wet considering how much rain we had yesterday.

5. Early night and slept like a log, which has prepared me well for today.

Pleasures for today will have to be posted later, as I’m currently on the train to London for a meeting...and bacon butty and coffee has just arrived. Have a good day folks.
    Well Behaved women seldom make history

Early retirement goal... 2026

Reduce, reuse, recycle .
    • Suffolksue
    • By Suffolksue 15th Jan 20, 10:13 AM
    • 305 Posts
    • 3,362 Thanks
    Suffolksue
    Thanks & It’s getting so much harder .i am so tired ,he’s just gone to the hospice again .
    Felt v guilty waving him off
    • ampersand
    • By ampersand 15th Jan 20, 10:49 AM
    • 8,661 Posts
    • 34,686 Thanks
    ampersand
    3rd time lucky, trying to send (((()))), Sue, with a bossyboots & Kia Kaha! command: No Guilt:-)
    Have persisted to send this one :-)
    ***JE SUIS CHARLIE***

• balabooberlies
    • By balabooberlies 15th Jan 20, 1:28 PM
    • 213 Posts
    • 1,507 Thanks
    balabooberlies
    Supersaver

You made me laugh

I like the idea of all good acts towards ourselves being a silent expletive to those that are bothersome.

Bala

x
    • Nargleblast
    • By Nargleblast 15th Jan 20, 3:03 PM
    • 9,500 Posts
    • 62,113 Thanks
    Nargleblast
    Suffolksue, no guilt now, that's what hospices are for, to give you chance to rest and recharge. It will be like a little mini holiday for him.
    One life - your life - live it!
    • DigForVictory
    • By DigForVictory 15th Jan 20, 4:49 PM
    • 10,628 Posts
    • 38,283 Thanks
    DigForVictory
    SuffolkSue, the hospice staff I know are close to saints. Entrust your beloved to them & then dive for your bed. Not the lists of things to do, but get a few hours quality sleep in First then come to the list?

Pleasures. Still!
    “It is now safe to close this webpage” - good, I was getting close to screaming. Yes, I can wholly see online is cheaper, easier, better audit trail but it’s impersonal & can be *dashed* frustrating.

The bloke conducting the crem service (whose name I found out for the first time from the draft bill from the funeral directors [Dear Me.]) will be talking to the most appropriate parent in another week.

Feeling full (had to test wake venue food) - “need cropper & breastplate!” “Nah, howda!” I will not wallop my husband while I am driving but I will think about it.

“Did you get sorted?” I am That Woman with a Funeral... It’s better than some identities!

Himself crooning over “ticket nippers” - I bought him a 1958 engineer’s stock book, with illustrations, the proper names & prices in lsd - “there’s no cheap sh!t here!” But air floating with strange engineering tool names & a bit of “got that, got one of those” Soundtrack of a happy man!
    Last edited by DigForVictory; 15-01-2020 at 4:52 PM. Reason: OSPs
    • mhagster
    • By mhagster 15th Jan 20, 7:44 PM
    • 3,543 Posts
    • 41,727 Thanks
    mhagster
    Huge hugs all round to those needing hugged.

Work done for the week...just a wee one day working week ( have hospital stuff tomorrow)

‘Twas a busy shift ! Decent tips.

‘Will you help me with cat litter trays?’ Not a text I get everyday. Then the hip popped out (DD2) and all hell let loose and then she jammed her finger in the car door and she jerked her back and holy moly much sobbing & howling . Sigh! It popped back in and less painful now. Anyway cat trays are (were ) cleaned.

A lovely bouquet of flowers very rtc.

Pizza for tea.
    • Jazee
    • By Jazee 15th Jan 20, 8:31 PM
    • 5,813 Posts
    • 64,913 Thanks
    Jazee
    Today's pleasures

Sunshine
    Project one completed
    Fudge
    Lovely dinner cooked by DH
    Cuddles with the dogs
    Spend less now, work less later.
    Savings thread #104 Jan £0/total £0/£3600
    • CRANKY40
    • By CRANKY40 15th Jan 20, 10:06 PM
    • 3,417 Posts
    • 37,283 Thanks
    CRANKY40
    Good evening all. today's pleasures....

Washed a lovely grey cardi that I bought in a charity shop at the weekend. I like it even more now that it smells right. It has pockets and as i usually use pockets rather than carry a bag it's probably going to be a favourite item.

Work - I miss them all (staff and regular customers) when I haven't seen them for a couple of days and yes, I know how lucky I am to feel that way about my job and the people that I work with.

Early start at work so finished in time to do school run for the HT.

Time for a coffee, a home made biscuit and a sit down when we came indoors as it was an easy tea tonight (very welcome after the mad rush last night).

More yarn has been obtained for project one so I've sat listening to youtube and doing crochet for a couple of hours. So relaxing

I'm having another early night tonight as we have an earlier than usual start tomorrow. G'night everyone
    • Frith
    • By Frith 15th Jan 20, 10:45 PM
    • 5,318 Posts
    • 50,644 Thanks
    Frith
    Pleasures for today (Wednesday)

1) Stayed awake (though not up, as I was in bed) watching series 3 of the Detectorists.

2) Cooking! Did large quantities of leek and potato soup and veg and bean soup. Started off a batch of yoghurt. Made a date and banana cake. Thus using up everything that was looking tired and leftover.

3) Hens OK.

4) Did some paying of bills and moving money around online.

5) Messages from bigger son who is still enjoying his new job and has been climbing this week.

6) Smaller son and I went to Sainsburys then smaller son went to the pub with my brother to watch the Man Utd match.

7) I watched Holby.

8) In bed now with 1hwb and about to watch the next episode of 24 Hours in Police Custody, which is always interesting.
    Never took piano lessons
    But baby you're a grand
    And I will learn to play the good notes
    And tune you up the best I can
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,079Posts Today

6,636Users online

Martin's Twitter