Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • DundeeDoll
    • By DundeeDoll 18th Jul 17, 11:34 AM
    • 3,716Posts
    • 41,926Thanks
    DundeeDoll
    5 OS pleasures in your day today - part 3
    • 18th Jul 17, 11:34 AM
    5 OS pleasures in your day today - part 3 18th Jul 17 at 11:34 AM
    Ok I'm diving in as I've noticed several of us have lost posts we thought had posted, and there now seems to be a serious risk of losing the whole thread. So thanks for the heads up Karcher. (and i sympathise Frith - i too like to nip back)

I've revisited the first thread of our part 2, posted 28th October 2009. It said:
    Time for a shiny new thread The old one had got to 4500 odd posts which amounts to 22,500 OS pleasures (at least) It's so good to know that the OS life can be so rewarding.

I'll kick off the new thread.

1) Homemade bread and marmalade for breakfast.

2) A walk over the Malvern Hills to blow away the cobwebs.

3) Drying the washing outside- still, in October.

4) Watching mydaughter making a game out of sweeping the leaves with her friends.

5) The prospect of collecting a big order of meat from the butcher this morning and having my freezer full for less.
    Originally posted by thriftlady
    Part 2 went on considerably longer so many many more pleasures. And of course life stories shared, support given, tears of sorrow and joy shed. Part 2 I shall miss you, but here's to part 3.
    Last edited by DundeeDoll; 18-07-2017 at 11:40 AM.
Page 437
    • Blackbeard of Perranporth
    • By Blackbeard of Perranporth 13th Jan 20, 12:05 PM
    • 6,508 Posts
    • 38,213 Thanks
    Blackbeard of Perranporth
    Let me know how much …
    & has another Birthday!

I knows I am doings the lunch bites agin this weak, but we has so many newbies here that it is good to sees you all. And Jenny keeps it up for thems thats need a lift

Back inn the mill after the weakened, and shovels at the ready. Exciting things about the lunch box this day! We has toms of the cherry, a bit of pepper, single cheese, pineapple, two oranges two clubs, and a snorker! Rite tasty! And does not tell BoPsie, I has forgets to got tea out! She’ll starve.

Managed to flea treat Raffles last day, he knew it was going to happen as he played avoid BoP mode. But he snuggled up next to BoPsie and the doors were closed. In one, treated. He then hid behind the sofa in a sulk. This morning he agreed that BoP was best for him, but wanted none of his fresh salmon brekfast! Anyone ever give a cat a snorker? They can no eat them! More on the avoidance of Raffles later this weak.

Had Meatballs in tom chilli sauce last nite and I cans tell yous now, it was good for you!

Watching James May in Japan on the river telly at the moment. Peoples like Sparra should avoid episode 4! Don’t say I not warn yous!

That is yous lot for todays lunch bites.
    Yous knows that clubs was rite tasty!
    Cardiac Arrest - Electrical - Patient unconscious! Heart Attack - Plumbing - Patient conscious!
    Defibrillators Cannot Cure a Heart Attack!
    • VJsmum
    • By VJsmum 13th Jan 20, 5:30 PM
    • 5,717 Posts
    • 83,228 Thanks
    VJsmum
    Another for yesterday, cos it tickled me. Before I forget again

6. A man riding a bike with a dog perched on his shoulders, clearly enjoying the ride
    Last edited by VJsmum; 13-01-2020 at 7:22 PM.
    I wanna be in the room where it happens
    • DundeeDoll
    • By DundeeDoll 13th Jan 20, 7:35 PM
    • 3,716 Posts
    • 41,926 Thanks
    DundeeDoll
    lovely moon indeed pk and dfv i was amazed how quickly it rises in Singapore, due to being so close to the equator
    i remember who pays the ferryman ss
    gosh last time i posted i was in the guest lounge at Singapore airport.
    1) the soup was lish. flight was film with meal, sleep, wake up just as lights going on, film and breakfast. wasn't overimpressed by the films (once up on a time in hollywood and Denmark). gbf really enjoyed once upon a time and another friend really enjoyed downton (which i watched on the way out and didn't enjoy). we're all different
    2) boss signed me into guest lounge at amsterdam - nice coffee, mints and liquorice toffees
    3) home and a lovely long chat with mum. she's not got a date yet for favourite uncle's funeral
    4) lovely bubbly bath, power nap, fiendish london underground jigsaw with dd2 (1000 pieces, she's done all the 'easy' bits, just white bits left)
    5) bowl of hm veggie soup out the freezer for supper, with 1/4 tub hummous stirred in. yum
    Be like a postage stamp—stick to one thing until you get there.
    Plastic bottles picked up to recycle: aim was one a day, currently 3 - 5 per day so given up counting.
    • mhagster
    • By mhagster 13th Jan 20, 8:53 PM
    • 3,543 Posts
    • 41,727 Thanks
    mhagster
    Hello. Just had a snooze (snore) on sofa in front of fire ( my fire that I lit!) so thought I should just come up to bed.

A day most busy, up very early and even the dog was most surprised to be going for a walk as early. Then had to pick mum up and drive for what seemed like forever but was just horrid rush hour traffic for an hour. Son drove my car ...I was a back seat passenger and I watched the moon scud alongside us.

Mum in hospital for a few days but not any old hospital ( which would be so much easier for everyone) but everyone we met today was very kind and friendly. And they do do a nice scone!

It took me two trains and bus to get back home but I quite enjoyed the train aspect. Tickets please. What a wild day that’s only got wilder.

A friend kindly letting doggy out for me.

I lit a fire ( I may have already mentioned this!) was a bit dodgy to start but has been a nice blaze all night.

I kind of munched when I came in but made an omelette for the boy and poached eggs for the girl.

Tomorrow is another day .
    • Broomstick
    • By Broomstick 13th Jan 20, 9:11 PM
    • 1,496 Posts
    • 16,790 Thanks
    Broomstick
    Evening all

Five pleasures for Monday:

1. DS1 came round for a visit, haven't seen him for a week and a half.

2. This meant that I could also get out for a quick trip to the post office while he was here and could granny-sit. I grinned all the walk there and all the walk back because I was being blustered by the wind and rained on. Simple pleasures!

3. I managed to have a go at starting the car again and it worked so the battery is holding out atm despite not being driven.

4. DM is still refusing food despite me offering frequently but I have managed to eat nonetheless including a good veggie lasagne for my tea.

5. Call the Midwife ep. 2.

Sweet dreams
    B x
    • CRANKY40
    • By CRANKY40 13th Jan 20, 10:16 PM
    • 3,417 Posts
    • 37,283 Thanks
    CRANKY40
    Good evening all, todays pleasures....

Taking my friend for his hospital appointment along with his sister who is also a friend. Two of us had a lovely time, a good chat and a laugh. One of our trio had a slightly less fun packed outing but it was still a good result. Improvement has been made.

Accidental meet up and a quick catch up with another lovely friend.

Picking up a couple of new packs of spices ready to make something out of the Mowgli recipe book.

I've let the House Troll buy a fish tank. We're not novice fish keepers but we haven't had any for a while. We've set it up but it'll be a while before it's fish ready. In the meantime, all the HT can talk about is fish and he's so excited. I've been called in to look at the tank set up several times.

The electrician who came and fixed the plug socket that the HT obliterated by accident. He's a really decent chap and I only rang him on Saturday. It was a genuine accident and the HT offered to pay himself but I have an emergency fund so I paid.
    • Frith
    • By Frith 13th Jan 20, 10:26 PM
    • 5,319 Posts
    • 50,644 Thanks
    Frith
    Pleasures for today (Monday)

1) Not a bad sleep.

2) Up early as the gutter repair man was dropping by. A new bit of ironwork, new join and some cleaning out of leaves and water no longer overflows/leaks all down the windows and pools in the garden! As with all workmen up ladders at my house, he was quite taken with the views.

3) Hens OK.

4) Couple of messages from bigger son.

5) Tea at mum and dad's.

6) In bed as am strangely tired and it's very cold.
    Never took piano lessons
    But baby you're a grand
    And I will learn to play the good notes
    And tune you up the best I can
    • PaulieHerts
    • By PaulieHerts 13th Jan 20, 10:37 PM
    • 14 Posts
    • 248 Thanks
    PaulieHerts
    Good evening

Suffolk Sue: Who Pays the Ferryman is one of other half’s favourites and we visited the Ferryman taverna in Elounda when we went to Crete a few years ago and also saw some other locations from the series. I expect we will have to watch it again before we go to Crete this year!

More sorting ready for big kitchen/dining room job!
    Met SIL for lunch
    More tips from SIL who recently had her kitchen done
    Borrowed an induction hob to help when we are without a cooker
    Leftover steak fajita for dinner

Sweet dreams all
    • procrastinator
    • By procrastinator 13th Jan 20, 11:00 PM
    • 601 Posts
    • 7,458 Thanks
    procrastinator
    5 things
    1. A good lot of house work done today
    2. Book finished can go back to library
    3. Walked into town and home again
    4. Out in daylight
    5. Rain wasn't too bad.
    WL 11 st 5lb as at 050109. 160209 11st 2lb
    11st 5lb as at 20.04.09 11st 7lbs 040509 11st6 010609 I wish 2016 175 lbs.
    Family of 3 at home - , DS 22, self and OH
    • villagelife
    • By villagelife 14th Jan 20, 6:50 AM
    • 1,986 Posts
    • 22,692 Thanks
    villagelife
    1. Work happened and I left. Leaving was definitely the pleasure today.

2. Bus was on time and I read my book. It helps me unwind after work.

3. Cooked a beef stew. It meant eating late but it was the type of meal I needed.

4. Managed to get some paperwork stuff done. Still more to do but at least it's started.

5. Listening to the wind while sitting in my warm house.
    • balabooberlies
    • By balabooberlies 14th Jan 20, 7:03 AM
    • 214 Posts
    • 1,513 Thanks
    balabooberlies
    Up at 4am...........in pain. Tablets have started to work so I think Tiggy is going to get one long walk in an hour or two and that will be it for today. Went out twice yesterday and got very wet. I do enjoy a good storm but my bones definitely don't. Tiggy looking very fetching in her bright pink coat. She would have stayed out alot longer which is amazing because she hates the rain. The coat seems to do the trick.

Have had a few cups of tea sans biscuits, had a banana instead. That's breakfast done and dusted.

Feeling a little lost as to what to cook tonight although I will say this..............since entering this ever-so-helpful 'realm' one of the first things I did was to empty freezer and list everything that I have. It is regularly consulted and amended on a daily basis and has made a massive difference to shopping habits AND finances.

Talking of which, have spent the last few weeks sorting out my partner's credit cards and everything is on zero percent which is a miracle as he is very resistant to any kind of change even when common sense dictates otherwise. Proud of myself, proud of him.

Over the next few weeks will sort out utilities etc.......

Really pleased to hear the news that Harry did try to speak to the Queen first but her courtiers blocked it. My only concern was that she had not been respected or considered. She has had an awful year and goodness only knows what she feels about her son. She must be hurting.

Australia. Absolutely gutted for them. Heard this morning that over one hundred thousand head of cattle affected and one female farmer crying over the pain she saw them suffering. Calves being culled because there is nothing to feed them with. I haven't forgotten the human aspect. I have family and friends over there and whilst most of them are not in Sydney, as it was pointed out this morning, this has global ramifications. I am worried for all.

Yesterday, had a chat with a youngish lad (20's I think) in my greengrocers and he is off to Iceland (the country) this weekend. He is going on his own but has planned all the day trips. I am so excited for him as it is an area of the world I would love to visit. Can be a scary prospect if you have never done it this way before. Hats off to him for braving it alone.

VENICE. What on earth is going on ? I thought that global warming was meant to raise sea levels. Not dry up canals in a city that has been under threat of drowning !

Cranky, you make me smile when you mention your House Troll. Puts me in mind of Dobbin the house elf in the Harry Potter books. One of my favourite characters. One that I would like to take home.

DforV. So pleased you have found your outfit. I do not possess one dress or skirt that fits, due to weight gain. Have lost ten pounds over the last 3 months but have stones to go. Hence, no more biscuits !

Well, there are great pleasures in amongst my ramblings. Feeling that I am starting to take control over things has reduced my anxiety levels.............. I think.

Have a wonderful day........one and all.....

Bala
    x
    • supersaver1000
    • By supersaver1000 14th Jan 20, 7:12 AM
    • 2,233 Posts
    • 13,984 Thanks
    supersaver1000
    So, yesterdays pleasures.

Cat cuddles before work.
    Cakes at work - yum.
    Completed my eBay listings with proper photos.
    Home cooked fish and chips with mushers (yum).
    Not a bad night's sleep.

Weird colleague still sending jabs. In the olden days I would have really taken it to heart and been so indignant, but, although it dented my mood slightly I actually rallied, put it in the ignore pile and thought F.U. your weirdness/failings/mood are not going to affect my life - and I felt so much better. I think I have a need for everything to be in line and good, so it upsets me when others behave like that towards me and I get all focussed on their behaviour. I guess people are just trying to get a reaction from me to make their inadequate selves feel better and I have so often obliged. I just have to try to ignore and focus away from them. I know it will take some practice and effort but I think this might just work.
    Homeowner wannabe by May 2020 :: Last few student loan payments by April 2020
    Fashion on the Ration £22.60 spent - 59/66 vouchers left :: 5 pleasures/day
    Grocery Challenge £348.46/£300 : : Saving for Xmas 2020 £24.08/£366 saved (£1/day)

Frugally Fab, Flylady & Sewing Thread Lurker & should start up an Exercise regime
    • Jazee
    • By Jazee 14th Jan 20, 7:22 AM
    • 5,813 Posts
    • 64,915 Thanks
    Jazee
    Yesterday's pleasures

Being told I was kind to take a friend shopping when I didn't need anything myself
    Getting together with friends again after Xmas
    The most delicious biscuits, I had two
    Making progress on project one
    Making progress on project two
    Spend less now, work less later.
    Savings thread #104 Jan £0/total £0/£3600
    • balabooberlies
    • By balabooberlies 14th Jan 20, 7:27 AM
    • 214 Posts
    • 1,513 Thanks
    balabooberlies
    Chin up Supersaver

I too am a little like you. Always thinking that if I 'fix this' everything will be okay. Wasted alot of my life with this need because something else comes along that needs fixing...........and the cycle starts again.

I am not young but am only just learning the art of distancing myself and switching off. But most importantly that my life, time, feelings, heart, mental wellbeing are precious and that they belong to me. And it is up to me to protect all of those things.

I am not perfect and have relationships to repair. But in beginning to value myself for the first time, taking ownership of myself, I can see where I have been wrong. So, no more kneejerk reactions but considered ones. Reactions that allow me to be more understanding to others and being kinder to myself.

Take 5 minutes, give yourself a mental hug..........and all the rest will follow.

Bala

X
    • LaineyT
    • By LaineyT 14th Jan 20, 8:13 AM
    • 3,040 Posts
    • 37,973 Thanks
    LaineyT
    Monday pleasures,

In the emporium and embraced my inner Pirate Pete whilst smiling at a woman paying an extra 40p for a trimmed cauli, the work involved would have been a matter of seconds, more money than sense?

Over the stables and grazed equine girlie in hand, no deer or water voles today just the clack of dried reeds and a coot going about it’s business.

Back in her field and realised Harry Houdini pony was out of her paddock again when she came over to say hello, the two mares touched noses and shared the treats in my pocket.

Bit of an emergency phone call and was able to help.

Tired and cold so mug of Ovaltine then bed.
    • DigForVictory
    • By DigForVictory 14th Jan 20, 10:04 AM
    • 10,628 Posts
    • 38,283 Thanks
    DigForVictory
    BoP - James May's a good 'un & I'd not known he'd been visiting for decades, but couldn't talk the BBC into funding it! Raffles sulking? Not just Storm Brendan doing us out of the yellow stuff, then.
    VJsmum - brilliant! Seen people pedalling towing faithful hound & thought that unsporting on the keen sense of smell, but perched on shoulder - aww!
    DundeeDoll - London Underground Jigsaw? That'd be cruel & unusual over Hogmanay!
    mhagster - happy firelightings! Absolutely enjoy the train!
    Broomstick - very glad you got to escape & enjoy the vigorous weather - all strength to you.
    Cranky - how wonderful to be invited to admire the tank - but HT is lucky in his mum.
    Frith - hurrah guttering fixed before storm due.
    PaulieHerts - I had to look up Who Pays the Ferryman & wow - is Crete still as fabulous as when the series was filmed?
    procrastinator - dayght is a wildly underrated pleasure!
    villagelife - a good beef stew is a wonderful thing & the leftovers are (in some ways) even better.
    bala - a really good inventory is a huge help & saves no end of 'duplicates' shopping...
    supersaver1000 - ebay is more rewarding with good photos. Learning to value yourself & go Helen Mirren is priceless.
    jayzee - kindness is an underrated virtue & not often appreciated enough.
    LaineyT - love Houdini & princess touching noses & sharing your treats!

OS pleasures (bear with me as my idea of a pleasure is a bit sideways at the minute?)

Coroner has released our lad - died of a seizure. Which we knew, but no dark surprises, no uncertainties to gnaw on us in the quiet hours. The traditional dances can begin. Report made me chuckle: “The scene is untidy but this is due to lifestyle.” There’s an epitaph, bachgen.

Starting with an orderly queue of three of us for the shower. One off to his apprenticeship, two off to (same day!) appointment with Registrar. Who is in touch with coroner, so all lots less difficult.

We had *all* the homework ready in a folder - and the registrar just double checked the date of birth. The coroner & registrar were absolutely wonderful & I have used the “tell us once” code. May seem (is) odd to be pleased son dead, but til coroner said so? We were stuck. Registrar got green form straight to funeral folk - no risk of me getting it wrong. (Phew.)

Small child wailing hard in supermarket “‘ave one for me, love” murmured Himself. So proud of him, a rock beside me.

I had pattern bombed all the local charity shops for funeral attire (to no avail) so husband towed me through several near the coroner & hurrah decent black frock sorted. Then as we checked the local places, “I thought I recognised your voice” & a jacket emerged, brand new, just in that morning & it fits! (and will go back afterwards, but there's the decencies sorted.)
    Last edited by DigForVictory; 14-01-2020 at 10:06 AM.
    • Broomstick
    • By Broomstick 14th Jan 20, 1:47 PM
    • 1,496 Posts
    • 16,790 Thanks
    Broomstick
    All strength to you as well DfV and family. Glad that some helpful things are coming your way like the ease of dealing with 'Tell it once' service and the perfect-fit jacket. Virtual hugs if wanted.

Bx
    • VJsmum
    • By VJsmum 14th Jan 20, 2:35 PM
    • 5,717 Posts
    • 83,228 Thanks
    VJsmum
    Continued strength to DforV

Balaboo what a wise post..

Greetings from the airport outdoor terrace...

Pleasures for yesterday

Nice walk up a hill. I didn't get blown off the ridge
    Beach time
    Finished another book, Emma Kennedy
    Nice tea and cake in a square, listening to gregorian chanting
    Proper fishy meal overlooking the old harbour

Holiday over now. On our way home. Have one of .those. meetings. tomorrow so that,s something to look forward to... not
    I wanna be in the room where it happens
    • mhagster
    • By mhagster 14th Jan 20, 7:25 PM
    • 3,543 Posts
    • 41,727 Thanks
    mhagster
    Hello. Been a day of lots to be done and I think it all was.

Awoken through night ( as I often am ) poor DD1 and smoke filled Melbourne. Then there was an awful noise which I couldn’t quite locate but almost blood curdling, turns out the tree trunk from across the road was being blown in the wind and making a noise. And I was cold . And Haggis had a very rumbling tummy so he went out and I put the heating on. Anyway!

The day started with a quick doggy walk. I saw a bird I’ve never seen before. Still not sure what it was but very pretty.

Boldly hung out a load of washing for a few hours certainly wasn’t dry but did smell of fresh air.

Cleaned bathrooms.

DD2 and I went out for breakfast to one of our castles. We have a few locally. I had a vegetarian breakfast and it was delicious! Staff very friendly too.

Then popped in to town. I’d seen a lovely green glass vase yesterday in a charity shop but it was wild and I was on bus so popped in to get it today.

Then up to mums house. Cleaned her bathroom. Stripped bed. Had already done a washing so hung that up. Home from there but had to go back later to feed cats.

Caught up on my laundry then did her bedding so it’s all hung everywhere!

Hoovered here . Upstairs and downstairs.

Sat for a bit watching the birds...me happy...Haggis glowering.

The walk back to mums, then down to supermarket then back home then grabbed a dog and quick walk ...we may have got caught in hailstorm. He was white.

Made stuffed peppers and ate with some salad and coleslaw . Then I ate a one person portion of bread and butter pudding, no one else likes so i just made enough for me.

Chat with niece on phone with a noisy baby in the background.

Back to work for a rest tomorrow
    • Jazee
    • By Jazee 14th Jan 20, 9:40 PM
    • 5,813 Posts
    • 64,915 Thanks
    Jazee
    Today's pleasures

Meeting with friend for lunch
    More progress on project one
    Nice tea with DH
    Constructive meeting tonight
    No traffic jams
    Spend less now, work less later.
    Savings thread #104 Jan £0/total £0/£3600
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

49Posts Today

3,817Users online

Martin's Twitter