Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • DundeeDoll
    • By DundeeDoll 18th Jul 17, 10:34 AM
    • 3,607Posts
    • 40,654Thanks
    DundeeDoll
    5 OS pleasures in your day today - part 3
    • 18th Jul 17, 10:34 AM
    5 OS pleasures in your day today - part 3 18th Jul 17 at 10:34 AM
    Ok I'm diving in as I've noticed several of us have lost posts we thought had posted, and there now seems to be a serious risk of losing the whole thread. So thanks for the heads up Karcher. (and i sympathise Frith - i too like to nip back)

I've revisited the first thread of our part 2, posted 28th October 2009. It said:
    Time for a shiny new thread The old one had got to 4500 odd posts which amounts to 22,500 OS pleasures (at least) It's so good to know that the OS life can be so rewarding.

I'll kick off the new thread.

1) Homemade bread and marmalade for breakfast.

2) A walk over the Malvern Hills to blow away the cobwebs.

3) Drying the washing outside- still, in October.

4) Watching mydaughter making a game out of sweeping the leaves with her friends.

5) The prospect of collecting a big order of meat from the butcher this morning and having my freezer full for less.
    Originally posted by thriftlady
    Part 2 went on considerably longer so many many more pleasures. And of course life stories shared, support given, tears of sorrow and joy shed. Part 2 I shall miss you, but here's to part 3.
    Last edited by DundeeDoll; 18-07-2017 at 10:40 AM.
Page 330
    • Purple kitten
    • By Purple kitten 12th Jun 19, 8:25 PM
    • 2,143 Posts
    • 23,716 Thanks
    Purple kitten
    Iíve missed a few days but the latest:
    1 DH did some work for a neighbour and they also kindly gave us some jams and chutneys today, always very appreciated over here.
    2 Various meals created from a bolognaise sauce I cooked up and thereís still more to go..
    3 Weíve purchased our kitchen today, blimey and did I mention Ouchy, but itís the right one for us at last but a very scarey thing, splurged on a quartz top Iím viewing it as I love it, and also if we sell itís an investment.
    4 About to have some hot apple pie and custard.
    5 Planning on sleeping very soon, Iím shattered.
    • villagelife
    • By villagelife 13th Jun 19, 5:42 AM
    • 1,906 Posts
    • 21,581 Thanks
    villagelife
    1. Stayed dry on way to work.

2. Work in morning was frustrating as others didn't pull their weight. It was better than the afternoon though.At the end of the morning I stood up and my back went. Line manager and manager were sympathetic to the extent that they wanted me better for the afternoon.

3. Went for a walk and saw a colleague who was sympathetic and came to look for me in the department half an hour later to make sure I had made it back.

4. Waiting at the bus stop to come home with a friend a drunken man came to talk to us. She has a lovely voice and I'm better looking. Not sure whether I agree but was amusing. H

5. DS2 cooked chilli which was good.
    • LaineyT
    • By LaineyT 13th Jun 19, 7:14 AM
    • 2,943 Posts
    • 36,787 Thanks
    LaineyT
    Wednesday pleasures,

Scrambled eggs for breakfast.

A fleabay purchase arrived, £50 jodphurs for £6.99 plus postage No longer a raggedly Annie riding my princess pony.

The iridescent blues & greens in a magpies tail as it came down for a drink.

Still enjoying Springwatch, I mean where else can you see a presenter sniffing badger poo!

Reading in bed as the rain lashed against the window, rain rain go away.....enough now.
    • Broomstick
    • By Broomstick 13th Jun 19, 9:32 AM
    • 1,486 Posts
    • 16,608 Thanks
    Broomstick
    (Rainy) Morning all

Five recent pleasures:

1. Fresh bed linen.

2. Catching up with DS2 face to face rather than on the phone. He's very busy so our paths are not crossing a lot atm.

3. DS1 is being a super-star in terms of helpfulness.

4. My parents who continue to be frail but just lovely. I'm still spending most of every day with them. It's a privilege and I'm so aware of the preciousness of time.

5. Delicious English strawberries.

Have a good Thursday.
    Bx
    • Blackbeard of Perranporth
    • By Blackbeard of Perranporth 13th Jun 19, 11:07 AM
    • 6,335 Posts
    • 36,983 Thanks
    Blackbeard of Perranporth
    Carry it all in your hand
    It's coming, Scrambled Eggs. Proper Food! Bored Bins. Carp!

Now as yous knows that the lunch box of BoP is packed full of goodness. Well bonus this day, two cheeses, LieSter Red and Wood smoked apple, and a slice of pork pie. Donít believe the bumph in the media about eating pork pie. Proper Foods as part of the BoP balanced diet!

Future appearances of BoP inn his beach ready body. On Sunday taking jam at the kite shed. Teas and cake is always on offer. BoP likes his toys!

Now millwright is back from up norff about the new clothes we are making for the emporer. After his dallying, it seems it is on! More wobbleade chits coming soon!

Eyes down, look inn!
    Cardiac Arrest - Electrical - Patient unconscious! Heart Attack - Plumbing - Patient conscious!
    Defibrillators Cannot Cure a Heart Attack!
    • MrsLurcherwalker
    • By MrsLurcherwalker 13th Jun 19, 1:42 PM
    • 13,812 Posts
    • 187,647 Thanks
    MrsLurcherwalker
    It's stopped raining for a little while, the sky is still leaden but it's NOT raining at the moment, bliss!

We've been fence panel hunting this morning, wanted something slightly more robust than can be found in garden centres and B&Q so found a local manufacturer and have ordered panels to be delivered next Tuesday.

Lunch out at Harts Barn in Longhope who are absolutely fantastic, the food is delicious, the caf! is comfy, warm, clean and the staff are friendly. The food is cooked as you order it too, gorgeous little place.

Half an hour on my own as Kit has gone off to the library.

The little dog Oscar who is always in the caf! and poodles around to say hello to everyone and today had an enchanting admirer in the form of a small toddler who was contorting himself in the high chair so as not to lose sight of Oscar crowing with delight all the time, so sweet!
    You've always had the power my dear, you just had to learn it for yourself!

Ours is not to wonder what is fair in life but finding what may be, make it up fair to our needs.
    • mhagster
    • By mhagster 13th Jun 19, 6:16 PM
    • 3,439 Posts
    • 40,321 Thanks
    mhagster
    Hello.

Another day another dollar or so. 10 hour shift. To be fair it goes by quick enough. And I'm so far loving it so it's okay.

Tips! In the jar. I'd said to my colleague I was saving mine up to get a corner sofa and it will be second hand and she didn't quite understand and why don't I just get a new one on credit? Er....because I don't want any debt and I quite like re-purporsing! But she still didn't get it!

Came home with some soup. Which DD managed to spill all over my car! It was very tasty though...the bit that was left!

My dog boy. He's currently under my bed as I type this! He likes to lie under it. Popped home at lunch time to let him out, we saw a squirrel. I've never seen a squirrel here before. (As in my street!)

My real boy. It's his birthday, first one I've not had him home for. But that's okay as he's a grown up! He sent me some pics of him up a mountain!

It's stayed dry. Thought we were getting lots of rain but it hasn't happened (yet) got a washing out on line for a bit of a blow ( all our work clothes)
    • Frith
    • By Frith 13th Jun 19, 9:54 PM
    • 5,206 Posts
    • 49,319 Thanks
    Frith
    Pleasures for today (Thursday).

1) A lie in - hoorah!

2) Worked on the allotment after lunch as it actually stopped raining. Cleaned the hen sleeping quarters out, raked up all the grass mown days ago, did a bit of weeding.

3) Went out for a cup of tea and bumped into 3 mums I used to know from primary school! They had a look at some Nepal photos. :-D

4) Made lemon chicken for tea.

5) Watched Ambulance.

6) Bigger son phoned and has been flashing his torch at the other VSO volunteers working on a different project several miles away across the valley! He has become addicted to chai tea and a mouse lives in his room.
    Never took piano lessons
    But baby you're a grand
    And I will learn to play the good notes
    And tune you up the best I can
    • Purple kitten
    • By Purple kitten 13th Jun 19, 10:04 PM
    • 2,143 Posts
    • 23,716 Thanks
    Purple kitten
    1 I did a bit of cleaning, so all upstairs rugs to wash, our bedding to wash, clean bedding on and hoovered upstairs at least.
    2 Kitchen installation date provided, great but we are now panicking with a long list of various things to be done before that, boiler moving, radiator out, hatch plastered up, to name only a few bits there. A lot not listed.
    3 A bowl of pasta and veg / bacon leftovers, Iím working through the fridge was dinner.
    4 Lots of questioning going on, we have a drinks cabinet we moved today to decorate, why do 2 people who are nigh on tea total we last drank at Christmas the obligatory baileys, bother with a drinks cabinet? Going through things at the mo, such as why do we have a toaster, we donít have much bread anymore, and when we do itís proper slices that wouldnít fit in a toaster. So that goes as well and so on.
    5 Found a tiny amount of chocolate was shared and snaffled while watching a series on amazon.
    • villagelife
    • By villagelife 14th Jun 19, 5:54 AM
    • 1,906 Posts
    • 21,581 Thanks
    villagelife
    1. Back pain is improving.

2. Reasonable day at work. Took lunch in with me which is so much better than buying a sandwich.

3. Made tea - a new recipe but using up some ham and leeks. The leeks needed to be used up.

4. Had a coffee walking round the garden. The ground was very wet but not raining.

5. Finished my book.
    • LaineyT
    • By LaineyT 14th Jun 19, 7:35 AM
    • 2,943 Posts
    • 36,787 Thanks
    LaineyT
    Thursday pleasures,

A bedraggled looking rabbit taking shelter under the hedge, it looked as fed up with the rain as we feel.

Fired up the Ark and floated off to town of gown for a haircut.

Putting the world to rights with my hairdresser, he’s a smashing chap whose been cutting my unruly hair for years, whenever I think about going somewhere else I shudder to remember bad cuts of the past!

Got over the yard just as the horses were being brought in, groomed pony in her stable out of the rain.

Scampi, chips and peas for tea, bit of a cba freezer kind of meal.
    Last edited by LaineyT; 14-06-2019 at 8:12 PM.
    • By Blackbeard of Perranporth 14th Jun 19, 12:09 PM
    • 6,335 Posts
    • 36,983 Thanks
    Not Again?
    BoP is munching too many proper chocolate digestives this hour of lunch . BoPsie has noted BoP words are missing.

You canít have both
    Cardiac Arrest - Electrical - Patient unconscious! Heart Attack - Plumbing - Patient conscious!
    • MrsLurcherwalker
    • By MrsLurcherwalker 14th Jun 19, 4:52 PM
    • 13,812 Posts
    • 187,647 Thanks
    MrsLurcherwalker
    The rain stopped, only briefly this afternoon and there was this strange yellowish light playing on the window for s few seconds, it was nice but it went away again!

A good afternoon in the shop, lots of nice folks in and quite a good till total for the Hospice.

I don't have to cook this evening as I made chilli yesterday and it only needs a reheat, I only have to make salad.

I got a rugby shirt in the shop yesterday for £1, for my home team so I can be red and white striped next season, FANTASTIC!

Looking forward to going out for coffee in the morning as we've decided not to try on Sunday as the garden centres will be awash because of Fathers Day.

Ours is not to wonder what is fair in life but finding what may be, make it up fair to our needs.
    • Purple kitten
    • By Purple kitten 14th Jun 19, 8:28 PM
    • 2,143 Posts
    • 23,716 Thanks
    Purple kitten
    1 Jarred up some dehydrated bits.

2 Faggots and veg for tea.

3 I popped to Mr T after tea, I needed a few bits, I talked to an older lady having a problem with her trolley, it was one of her first times out since her husband passed, and made sure she was ok, she seemed happier once underway and having had a little chat, then 2 very brightly coloured vests reduced to 2.50 made their way into my trolley, and various very reduced salad bits, some very reduced meat, for tomorrow and for the animals. I spent more than I planned but all on useful and reduced bits.

4 About to make a batch of cupcakes which is why I went out in the first place.

5 Candles burning very atmospheric.
    • mhagster
    • By mhagster 14th Jun 19, 8:36 PM
    • 3,439 Posts
    • 40,321 Thanks
    mhagster
    Bedtime.

Friday! Pay day! Hurrah!

Tips! Hurrah! In the jar.

Would you like to leave at 1pm ? Oh okay!

Home and changed. Dog in the car and off we went to the allotment. First time I've driven down. Had a lovely hour . Picked loads of weeds. Pile of rhubarb ( shared to some friends) and a lettuce that we had for tea.

Haggis was in and out the pond and a bit stinky so he had a scrub when we got home. Lovely and soft now.

The niecelys came for tea. We had fajitas. And baby cuddles. He's stretched since Sunday.

Had been asked to make some cakes for a friend. Walked down with pram to drop them off.
    • Frith
    • By Frith 14th Jun 19, 10:23 PM
    • 5,206 Posts
    • 49,319 Thanks
    Frith
    Pleasures for today (Friday).

1) Not a bad sleep.

2) Final GCSE exam! Just catering (BTEC) to go on Tuesday.

3) Smaller son had a bit of a party with the other boys leaving the communication centre then a teacher brought them in a McDonalds.

4) Hens OK.

5) Man came from Freecycle for the self seeded trees that I had potted up.

6) Chips from the van for tea.
    Never took piano lessons
    But baby you're a grand
    And I will learn to play the good notes
    And tune you up the best I can
    • villagelife
    • By villagelife 15th Jun 19, 7:52 AM
    • 1,906 Posts
    • 21,581 Thanks
    villagelife
    A day off.

1. Spoke to a neighbour. She was chatty - she often doesn't say much.

2. Planted out some plants in the garden which I have grown from seed.

3. Sunny and enjoyed a coffee in the garden.

4. Had a glass of wine in the garden in the evening with DH.

5. Watched and laughed at an old film in the evening with DH.
    • By Blackbeard of Perranporth 15th Jun 19, 11:30 AM
    • 6,335 Posts
    • 36,983 Thanks
    Teas are on?
    All round to Mhags, she's paying!
    Ms LW, inn the Forest! And you got out with some grub.

Just bin out and seen the Big Steam Train to Warster, or the Fying Scotsman go through Stonehouse this morning. Go some soot inns me eye! Raining a bit!

BoPsie has gone to work to get some extra pocket money. Think we can do a trip soon!

Watching the aussies. Darn. We need them too looooose!

PM2DD Fixtures out soon! Wes has the Scoooonts this year!

Now just going down to do the Snorker Brunch. Late as BoPsie is getting the pocket money inn!

Pick that one out
    • MrsLurcherwalker
    • By MrsLurcherwalker 15th Jun 19, 4:35 PM
    • 13,812 Posts
    • 187,647 Thanks
    MrsLurcherwalker
    Out this evening to one of the local village halls for Flanders and Swan entertainment.

The rain has stopped and the sun has come out, cheers me up no end.

A baby bouncer chair came into the shop today as a donation and then came home with me at a much smaller price than if I'd bought new.

A good and busy afternoon in the shop.

A minature pinscher dog who came in with it's owner and was just lovely.

• VJsmum
    • By VJsmum 15th Jun 19, 6:44 PM
    • 5,595 Posts
    • 81,759 Thanks
    VJsmum
    Evening all - long time no see.... again...

I am halfway up a mountain in Tuscany, it's the last night of my holibobs. DD and I are flying home tomorrow and OH and DS are having an extra week, moving into Austria..

Pleasures for the last week

1. The tower in Pisa really does lean.... 294 steps to the top. Stunning though
    2. Florence, not very though - 20 euros for 3 cappuccinos and a coke made it back by getting into pitti palace for free (me, as a student from the school of architecture) and reduced (kids, cos they are under 25) only OH paid full price.
    3. Beautiful Lucca, our nearest town. The book said you fall in love with it and we have
    4. Warm and sunny - sorry you've had all the rain it's been 25 - 31 here...
    5. A walk up a mountain, gorgeous. We will be back.
    6. early mornings on the east facing terrace, evening meal on the west one...
    7. A village with no cars - you have to leave them on the main road below. (No children either, which is weird, like Chitty Chitty Bang Bang)
    8. Despite being on holiday, work has been done. Nearly have a complete draft.
    9. gelato, wine, gin, pizza, etc.... had a Campari and soda this PM, very 1970s
    10. Being the 4 of us together, i'm sure those days are numbered so am making the most of it.

See you back in Blighty
    I wanna be in the room where it happens
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

187Posts Today

2,026Users online

Martin's Twitter