Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • DundeeDoll
    • By DundeeDoll 18th Jul 17, 10:34 AM
    • 3,442Posts
    • 38,991Thanks
    DundeeDoll
    5 OS pleasures in your day today - part 3
    • 18th Jul 17, 10:34 AM
    5 OS pleasures in your day today - part 3 18th Jul 17 at 10:34 AM
    Ok I'm diving in as I've noticed several of us have lost posts we thought had posted, and there now seems to be a serious risk of losing the whole thread. So thanks for the heads up Karcher. (and i sympathise Frith - i too like to nip back)

I've revisited the first thread of our part 2, posted 28th October 2009. It said:
    Time for a shiny new thread The old one had got to 4500 odd posts which amounts to 22,500 OS pleasures (at least) It's so good to know that the OS life can be so rewarding.

I'll kick off the new thread.

1) Homemade bread and marmalade for breakfast.

2) A walk over the Malvern Hills to blow away the cobwebs.

3) Drying the washing outside- still, in October.

4) Watching mydaughter making a game out of sweeping the leaves with her friends.

5) The prospect of collecting a big order of meat from the butcher this morning and having my freezer full for less.
    Originally posted by thriftlady
    Part 2 went on considerably longer so many many more pleasures. And of course life stories shared, support given, tears of sorrow and joy shed. Part 2 I shall miss you, but here's to part 3.
    Last edited by DundeeDoll; 18-07-2017 at 10:40 AM.
Page 307
    • Blackbeard of Perranporth
    • By Blackbeard of Perranporth 11th Apr 19, 11:05 AM
    • 5,971 Posts
    • 34,713 Thanks
    Blackbeard of Perranporth
    Now, for the main feature …
    Shovel Master has not said a word yet …

Wents to the mill this morning and saw Raffles patrolling his kingdom. He gets far. Last night he bought his own supper in and I managed to save a field mouse. We do feed him!

Nows last nite BoP said he was to has a wobbleade and he did! Watched the film Aloha, on the flix of net! Was a good. Bit to gooey eyed for BoPsie as it had Bradley Cooper in it!

Don’t tells BoPsie, buts mes off out to get her a pressie for her Birthday next weak. She got her perfume for the anniversary, so I don’ts knows what yet. Please put suggestions up and send wobbleade chits so I can get something more than a tanner!

In case you are wandering whats a wobbleade chit is, it has a picture of the Queen on it and they be legal tender! They are no longer white.

Nows next weakened wes is doing the lounge in BoP Palace, so this Saturday it is the dump run, of the tip as mentioned in the parish. We did it a few tears back in a nice azure blue, but got a can of silk and a can of matt! It looks nice in the soft light!

I see that George has getten himself in the paper again! He wants to affect the workers here instead of direct action there! Or as told to me in KSA a few years back. It cures the repeat offender! And Australia, please come and collect your unwashed wannabe!

Having one today! Testing new proper food tonight, details tomorrow and yous knows it will be good for you! More later!

There, that’s what happening in your version of the ‘Life of BoP!’
    Cardiac Arrest - Electrical - Patient unconscious! Heart Attack - Plumbing - Patient conscious!
    Defibrillators Cannot Cure a Heart Attack!
    • mhagster
    • By mhagster 11th Apr 19, 7:16 PM
    • 3,252 Posts
    • 38,132 Thanks
    mhagster
    Hello. We had a lovely warming up kind of morning then it got a bit chilly. But washing out and mainly dry.

Bit of a restless night with DD2 being awake and sore.

Went out for brunch to my old work today. Blether with my old main colleague. Nice to see her.

Text to say new specs were ready! Hurrah ! As it was on the way back and saved getting home to have to head back to other end of town. I have bought a granny cord to keep them round my neck!

Had intended to go to allotment but may have snoozed instead!

A couple of nice dog walks.

Made mince with veg and some roasted potatoes in the last of the garlicky oil I'd left.
    • Frith
    • By Frith 11th Apr 19, 8:59 PM
    • 4,982 Posts
    • 47,135 Thanks
    Frith
    Pleasures for today (Thursday).

1) Not a bad sleep.

2) Took smaller son to school and he had a productive day.

3) Hens OK.

4) Went to the library to print out sponsor sheets for bigger son's next VSO fundraising.

5) Went for a walk after tea and saw 2 fallow deer then 2 muntjac.
    Never took piano lessons
    But baby you're a grand
    And I will learn to play the good notes
    And tune you up the best I can
    • Purple kitten
    • By Purple kitten 11th Apr 19, 9:50 PM
    • 2,062 Posts
    • 22,791 Thanks
    Purple kitten
    1 Local running about today to get kitchen and flooring ideas, and popped into Aldi, purchased various fruit at 50 percent off and some plants and bits.

2 Spent hours at home trying to re plan the kitchen they’ve designed. A pleasure to sort of be there but just need to write it up to get it sent back.

3 Looking forward to a bowl of pasta, pesto topped with ham for dinner.

4 Home with a book of samples across the floor of flooring. I loved our laminate ikea floor and it’s lasted 18 years, however now we have animals, we’ve decided on luxury vinyl click flooring, as it’s 100 percent waterproof.

5 Strawberries and chocolate cake, delicious.
    • villagelife
    • By villagelife 12th Apr 19, 7:03 AM
    • 1,677 Posts
    • 18,866 Thanks
    villagelife
    1. Worked at outside clinic with people I like so an enjoyable day.

2. Cold is improving.

3. Spent some time in the garden after work. RElaxing.

4. Everyone managed to eat all the veg I have them for tea. Doesn't happen often!

5. Early night as still tired with my cold.
    • LaineyT
    • By LaineyT 12th Apr 19, 7:15 AM
    • 2,744 Posts
    • 34,621 Thanks
    LaineyT
    Thursday pleasures,

Drove to Uni City for a haircut, the roads were blessedly quiet but the city not so, a brief browse in the shops but the only think I brought was more books

Exercised girlie on the lunge, she was a good girl and worked well for her Mum.

Driving home through the village and caught sight of a bloke singing his heart out in his van, made me smile.

Little dog was standing up at the garden gate when I got home, cuteness overload.

Only Connect and we managed seven questions between us
    • By Blackbeard of Perranporth 12th Apr 19, 8:32 AM
    • 5,971 Posts
    • 34,713 Thanks
    BoP’d Out ...
    BoP is busy with the Shovel Master and getting things ready for ...

Mind you I did not look as bad as that when I was 47!

Great News ROLLING THUNDER IS ON THE M25! Soldiers never stand down.
    Last edited by Blackbeard of Perranporth; 12-04-2019 at 9:27 AM.
    Cardiac Arrest - Electrical - Patient unconscious! Heart Attack - Plumbing - Patient conscious!
    • mhagster
    • By mhagster 12th Apr 19, 7:35 PM
    • 3,252 Posts
    • 38,132 Thanks
    mhagster
    Bedtime. And it is still light so feels a bit wrong but I'm tired!

Down at allotment this morning. Just me and a couple of rabbits. Birds,bees and butterflies. Radio in back pocket. Stopped halfway for a banana and an apple. Sun was warm. Perfect. Filled one and half a bed with compost then planted some potatoes.

Read for a while this afternoon.

Mother had asked if I could go round and Hoover. I did. Nice walk round and nicer walk back!

We had takeaway for tea. One extra meal in freezer.
    • Purple kitten
    • By Purple kitten 12th Apr 19, 7:48 PM
    • 2,062 Posts
    • 22,791 Thanks
    Purple kitten
    1 Spent the day preparing the lounge for painting, there has been drilling, filler, washing walls, and re painting under the coving white, using up the remaining paint in the kitchen and then popping out to get more paint!

2 We had a slice of pizza for lunch, so dinner is haddock and veg to er balance it out.

3 There’s more painting tonight a 2nd coat to go on the underside of the coving and then colour on tomorrow, the place meanwhile looks like a bomb has hit it and I suspect it will for a long while yet.

4 We’ve chosen the new floor, well DH chose it before we even got the sample home, a good eye, but I won’t be extending it through the hallway and kitchen, that will have to be different.

5 Just had blueberries and strawberries and very nice they were too.
    • DundeeDoll
    • By DundeeDoll 13th Apr 19, 1:03 PM
    • 3,442 Posts
    • 38,991 Thanks
    DundeeDoll
    congrats on the competition win villagelife
    bit of a shock this morning - an ex-colleague who helped me wonderfully through my marriage problems passed away after 5 days in ICU. She would have been 49 this month and celebrating her 10th wedding anniversary this october (coincidentally same day as mine) so for good things...
    1) if it doesn't sound corny, she had a good life. She shard a congenital blood disorder with her brother and was in and out of hospital, but was always laughing
    2) remembering some of her dirtier laughing has made me smile
    3) the sun is shining and mum has just phoned so i will walk the dogs round to hers
    4) a colleague has introduced me to Sway and i have spent the morning converting the first week of my new module - will share with the team
    5) i have just made myself Penne Arabiatta. my fave at the Italian Grill and i do believe i have cracked the recipe.
    Be like a postage stamp—stick to one thing until you get there.
    • mhagster
    • By mhagster 13th Apr 19, 5:24 PM
    • 3,252 Posts
    • 38,132 Thanks
    mhagster
    Awh DD that's sad news but right that you do look for positives. They still abound.

A night of much up and down-ness with the dog!

A very blustery walk to allotment, had to come back for a wooly hat! Filled my second plot with compost. Ate a banana and just generally enjoyed the peace and quiet. A trio of mallards flew past and looked like they should have been on Hilda Ogden's wall!

DD2 had a delivery of flowers and chocolates from a friend in Australia...they'd had a big fall out before she left. He messaged me the other day for our address as he wanted to surprise her but I felt I had to ask her if it was okay? It was and she was still surprised! Fall out was resolved when she was back last year.

Wanted to do something for DD1 for Easter. Last year I'd ordered an online grocery delivery. Suggested same then she didn't know when she'd be in so could she just have an e-voucher? How about I just transfer more money than I'd have spent on your groceries to your bank account? And that's what I did! A very expensive Easter egg! However her brother and sister get stuff here that she doesn't.

I re-covered my dining chairs with some red gingham. They look nice and springy and fresh. It was a top sheet that I no longer have the bottom sheet to! Tended to use top sheets in Melbourne not so much here.

Sat my Easter bunnies on top...rescued from a bargain bucket as their ears were falling off. Just need a wee stitch.

Finished my library book.

Had sausage rolls and beans for tea and DD2 had fish fingers! Son is up a mountain somewhere!

It's been a beautiful day to look out at! But the coldest wind that would cut you in half! Washing dried in no time. Going to get my jammies on though! I'm in for the night!
    • Frith
    • By Frith 13th Apr 19, 11:41 PM
    • 4,982 Posts
    • 47,135 Thanks
    Frith
    Quick update for today (Saturday).

1) Not a bad sleep.

2) Took bigger son to work then had a walk through the forest (Ruskinland today).

3) Hens well.

4) Popped to see my dad and brother then went with my sister and niece for lunch at our local farm shop.

5) Did bits of tidying and changed the beds.

6) My brother popped in for board games.

7) Messages from MrA.

8) Went shopping last thing with smaller son who loves a late night shop during the school holidays.
    Never took piano lessons
    But baby you're a grand
    • LaineyT
    • By LaineyT 14th Apr 19, 7:34 AM
    • 2,744 Posts
    • 34,621 Thanks
    LaineyT
    Saturday pleasures,

Not a great night’s sleep so a lie-in.

Back to Uni City this time with Capt S in tow as he needed some new shirts for work. We had breakfast out and I succumbed to fruit toast with butter & jam. Picked up the bits we needed.

Popped in to see DB on way home, nice chat with DSIL

Quick visit to see girlie and then dozed on the sofa.

Finished watching the Victim, great TV, and then had a couple of games of Yahtzee.
    • DundeeDoll
    • By DundeeDoll 14th Apr 19, 4:25 PM
    • 3,442 Posts
    • 38,991 Thanks
    DundeeDoll
    you have your 50 bop while we lost our first game in 29 :-( it's gonna be tense for us but you're definitely safe
    1) last night went to a great talk by Jo Ruxton, produced of 'a plastic ocean'. excellent though depressing
    2) then fish supper (pleased to say served in cardboard, eaten with metal cutlery, washed down with cup of tea in china cup, though milk was in little plastic pots)
    3) dd2 joined me for a sausage supper (she had coke, only in plastic bottles)
    4) church this morning - palm sunday - followed by lunch with mum and dd2. steak and ale pie for me
    5) now cooking up veggie stuff for last week of lent and rewatching series 4 of line of duty. washing drying on line. boys walked.
    Be like a postage stamp—stick to one thing until you get there.
    • mhagster
    • By mhagster 14th Apr 19, 6:23 PM
    • 3,252 Posts
    • 38,132 Thanks
    mhagster
    Good evening. Been dry but blooming cold! Such a cold wind...brrr but dries the washing!

Another disturbed night with dog boy. He's eaten something he shouldn't have and needed up to vomit but then ate it before I bleary eyed got downstairs! Grrrr! So no doubt tonight we will be same again!

Went to Lidl first thing. A few things RTC including tonight's dinner of steak pie. Cheaper than I could have made it for. Cooking just now.

I'd intended going to allotment. I'll come too said DD...except she fell asleep! I cleaned bathrooms instead and started a new library book. Friend called and could she pop over.

So they did and came with cake! Nice chatter with her and her daughter made some things for me. Having a baby shower next weekend. So she made somethings for me.

Then I was waving goodbye to them at the same time as pulling my jacket on as was going round to another friends! Nice chat with her!
    • Frith
    • By Frith 14th Apr 19, 11:00 PM
    • 4,982 Posts
    • 47,135 Thanks
    Frith
    Quick pleasures for today (Sunday).

1) Not a bad sleep.

2) Took bigger son to work, walked the red route through the forest and found a huge antler!

3) Hens well.

4) Got all washing finished.

5) Went to see MrA :-)
    Never took piano lessons
    But baby you're a grand
    • LaineyT
    • By LaineyT 15th Apr 19, 7:15 AM
    • 2,744 Posts
    • 34,621 Thanks
    LaineyT
    Ah Mhags, you have my sympathy, those choccie dogs do like to snaffle something they shouldn’t.

Sunday pleasures,

Bacon butties and catching up on all things Ambridge.

No midday cooking so pottered in the garden, sunny but bitterly cold so came in with pink cheeks.

Both hollow-legged ones plus a gf came over to see us, good to catch up on their busy lives. Little dog was ecstatic and just kept running between us all getting fussed.

Went out to eat at our favourite Indian restaurant, I had butter chicken with coconut rice, yum.

Finished a book in bed and pleasure is in knowing I have five more waiting in the queue.
    • Frith
    • By Frith 15th Apr 19, 10:32 AM
    • 4,982 Posts
    • 47,135 Thanks
    Frith
    A cheeky ask... if anyone would like to sponsor bigger son, he has a little way to go in his fundraising towards his VSO trip to Nepal.

Or, for a £5, he will carve you a wooden spoon to your specifications! Ampersand has already tested one. :-D

https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/morganjenkins
    Never took piano lessons
    But baby you're a grand
    • By Blackbeard of Perranporth 15th Apr 19, 11:05 AM
    • 5,971 Posts
    • 34,713 Thanks
    What for, right what …
    Shovel Master has been quiet!

DD 1 gaol in 29 feels like and wes has the 50 points. Shame we did not have them at chrimbo instead of easter!

Offs outs later to get the card and violets for BoPsie’s birthday tomorrow. She will need plenty of bubbles for the bath!

Got the pink ladies in, well the pink panther wafers things. Luxury but nice, also in BoP’s packed lunch box are toms, strawbs with blue berries, smoked cheese, and a proper w8rs digestive covered in chocolate.

Yesterday for dinner we had proper Grimsby smoked haddock kedgeree. Freshly made with cucumber and wilted spinach.

Nows as yous knows from that BoP was testing foods for you. Well he has tested the foods and can now tells yous lot about it. BoP’d Chicken!
    Nows for the marinades yous need some natural yogut! Not Greek!
    Pour into dish the yogut. Add termites (Turmeric!), coriander, tom paste, chilli, mint, and the juice from fresh squeezed lemon. As yous know that BoP’s refrigerator is for storing wobbleade, store near the stove. Cover if yous has a cat!

Add chicken legs, or thighs, or chunks! Leave for atleast one hour. BoP stores his in lidded box!

Put oven onto 180C, less ifs yous has a fan! Chop some onion, toe nail style, with some mixed peppers! Roast these as well Put the chicken onto a baking tray, with the onion and peppers. Don’t use wet things like toms and mushrooms! Bake for 25 minutes.

Now fors the rice!
    Use proper risotto rice ifs yous has to!
    Fry in pan with butter, finely chopped onions.
    Add rice, together with some vegetable or other stock, ladle this in at a time! The rice will take 25 minutes, just like the chicken! When well soaked in and rice done, add some quartered cucumber pieces. Add some split cherry toms to the dish ifs you want.

Eat
    Enjoy!

Please note, Mr Knorr comes to BoP for his ideas and they are far better that Mary and Jimmy the Cooks recipes!

Nows wheres was BoP. Oh, this weak we is painting the lounge of BoP Palace.

Now as yous knows BoP keeps his goatee in shape. Well on SatDay BoP had a misfire and happened to over groom down to level 2 instead of 4! BoP is rather over bristly today! I said Bristly not grisly.

Watching the goooners this evening

Now what else did you think BoP got up to in your version of the ‘Life of BoP!’
    • mhagster
    • By mhagster 15th Apr 19, 7:08 PM
    • 3,252 Posts
    • 38,132 Thanks
    mhagster
    Hello.

It's been so chilly today. Another dry day but the coldest wind blowing. But hey! It dries the washing

Went to allotment . Took DD2. Normally I walk the whole way but she didn't feel up to it so we drove part way. Her first visit.

A nice helpful chap piled 2 wheelbarrow loads of compost into my plot. We hoed and raked it through. Planted lettuce and radishes and some parsley in a pot so it doesn't take over. In return we threw his dogs toy for her!

Sorted through my wardrobe. A bag of stuff went to charity bin and a pile for very pregnant niece if she wants it if not it will go to charity. Found 3 chocolate oranges! I knew I'd bought 3 for my 3 children for Christmas! and I actually had done a clear out since then!

Library bus came. Took back 3 books and borrowed 3 more. Then came back and read the one I'm half way through.

Last night we had lovely steak pie. Left son his portion. Both DD and I said 'oh that was lovely we could just eat his! ' he never blooming ate it so I just did and yes, it was just as lovely!

Son got a new bike so was home from work early to go out on it and sent me a photo from his ride!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

37Posts Today

1,432Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Have a great Easter, or a chag sameach to those like me attending Passover seder tomorrow. I?m taking all of next? https://t.co/qrAFTIpqWl

• RT @rowlyc1980: A whopping 18 days off work for only 9 days leave! I?ll have a bit of that please......thanks @MartinSLewis for your crafty?

• RT @dinokyp: That feeling when you realise that you have 18 days of work and only used 9 days of your annual leave! Thanks @MartinSLewis h?

• Follow Martin