Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • DundeeDoll
    • By DundeeDoll 18th Jul 17, 11:34 AM
    • 3,388Posts
    • 38,416Thanks
    DundeeDoll
    5 OS pleasures in your day today - part 3
    • 18th Jul 17, 11:34 AM
    5 OS pleasures in your day today - part 3 18th Jul 17 at 11:34 AM
    Ok I'm diving in as I've noticed several of us have lost posts we thought had posted, and there now seems to be a serious risk of losing the whole thread. So thanks for the heads up Karcher. (and i sympathise Frith - i too like to nip back)

I've revisited the first thread of our part 2, posted 28th October 2009. It said:
    Time for a shiny new thread The old one had got to 4500 odd posts which amounts to 22,500 OS pleasures (at least) It's so good to know that the OS life can be so rewarding.

I'll kick off the new thread.

1) Homemade bread and marmalade for breakfast.

2) A walk over the Malvern Hills to blow away the cobwebs.

3) Drying the washing outside- still, in October.

4) Watching mydaughter making a game out of sweeping the leaves with her friends.

5) The prospect of collecting a big order of meat from the butcher this morning and having my freezer full for less.
    Originally posted by thriftlady
    Part 2 went on considerably longer so many many more pleasures. And of course life stories shared, support given, tears of sorrow and joy shed. Part 2 I shall miss you, but here's to part 3.
    Last edited by DundeeDoll; 18-07-2017 at 11:40 AM.
Page 271
    • LaineyT
    • By LaineyT 13th Jan 19, 8:11 AM
    • 2,608 Posts
    • 32,902 Thanks
    LaineyT
    Bless your OH Sue, to keep a sense of humour in the face of such adversity is wonderful thing.
    Apologies and welcome Lottielace.

Saturday pleasures,

A rough night so the pleasure of going back to bed for an hour after breakfast.

Won an auction on Eb*y so another pair of dungarees are on their way find them so comfortable with a good supply of handy pockets.

Visited my girlie and gave her a good groom, she’s obsessed with the bobble on my hat and checks every time to see if it’s changed into something edible.

Footie team picked up a much needed 3 points.

Early night and reading in bed.
    • MrsLurcherwalker
    • By MrsLurcherwalker 13th Jan 19, 8:44 AM
    • 12,958 Posts
    • 178,818 Thanks
    MrsLurcherwalker
    1) A really lovely day with the Grandpickles yesterday, they were nice to be with, no arguing, no disobedience, no asking for Mama, they ate everything on their plates, went for a bath with no resistance and went to bed without a squeak but best of all they were fun to be with.

2) Being taken to the bakery by a 4 year old for some bread because he didn't like the loaf his mum had baked, Walking along he said the Co Op Oma, you know C O O P that's what it looks like, I'll tell you when we get there, one term at school does wonders!

3) The same 4 year old suddenly remembering the existence of an independent bakery NOT in the Co Op and saying we should go there Oma because that's where I buy my croissants!!! so we did.

4) Mum had a super time out with her uni friends and dad had a lovely time his dad at the football.

5) I'm not as stiff and sore today as normal, the 2 year old has learned how to climb stairs and bump down them on his bottom, life is less painful today!
    Thumpers mum was right - if you can't find anything nice to say don't say anything at all!
    • Blackbeard of Perranporth
    • By Blackbeard of Perranporth 13th Jan 19, 9:07 AM
    • 5,733 Posts
    • 33,627 Thanks
    Blackbeard of Perranporth
    BoP is about to Shop!
    Sue. If the better looking one is snoring, this one from Jenny is for you!
    Cardiac Arrest - Electrical - Patient unconscious! Heart Attack - Plumbing - Patient conscious!
    Defibrillators Cannot Cure a Heart Attack!
    • mhagster
    • By mhagster 13th Jan 19, 7:23 PM
    • 3,159 Posts
    • 37,080 Thanks
    mhagster
    Good evening.

Bit less dizzy today so that's a bonus .

Up early with doggy.

Made lentil soup with a 9p pack of veg I got RTC and the last few slices of pancetta leftover from Christmas . It was lovely.

Made little patties with left over 10p cheesy mashed potato with some cauliflower , sprouts and cabbage and chives through them.

I enjoyed my tea...others not so much . Used up veggies, curry powder, turkey mince ( think it's this they don't like) cream and a bit of puff pastry on top and called it a pie! Served with lots of veggies and baked the little patties. I shall have the leftover mince tomorrow as no one else wants it!

Managed to get a wash almost dried outside. It's been very windy and dry in amongst the showers.

DD1 home. I bet she's glad!

Bathrooms are clean.

Just going to Hoover downstairs then wash floors and put my feet up to watch call the midwife.

Continuing to declutter my room, which whilst not too bad ends up with all the excess stuff in it. Currently hosting baby stuff for DN. A bag of recycling went out today. I just want an area of calm all of my own!
    • Purple kitten
    • By Purple kitten 13th Jan 19, 9:33 PM
    • 1,993 Posts
    • 22,064 Thanks
    Purple kitten
    1 A full cooked snorkers brekkie, with proper grilled snorkers, bacon, toms, with egg and beans.
    2 Lovely having the choice of Mr L or Ald1 locally but not great when I would like something from both of their offers. 1st world problems, popped to both and finally decided I prefer Aldi it’s far easier and calmer not to mention the big decider also is it’s walking distance.
    3 Clean bedding always a pleasure
    4 Chickens from freezer cooking up, the herbs smell lovely.
    5 I went through the old clothes and made sure we have a set of gloves, socks, scarfs in each car, one car has basic food in, the other car I need to cobble something together for. Winter tyres have stayed on the car. I'll also pop some grit in a tub just in case.
    • plumduff55
    • By plumduff55 13th Jan 19, 10:24 PM
    • 560 Posts
    • 5,392 Thanks
    plumduff55
    My five for today are;

1) A boiled egg and toast for breakfast - don't have this often but really enjoyed it.

2) Spent an hour sewing 4 feature squares for the memory quilt. Two hats I had knitted for dgs being born were added to two of the squares. Very emotive as dgs had emergency heart surgery within 15 minutes of birth and 15 hour surgery at 8 days old. It was a worrying time but he's now 3 and a half and doing exceptionally well.

3) I went for a walk after lunch. What a beautiful sunny day although it was blowing a gale. Definitely blew away all the cobwebs

4) Treated myself to a cup of hot chocolate and a warm croissant with chocolate spread when I got back home from the walk. Absolutely delicious just not thinking of the calories.

5) Just Watched Vera - one of my favourite programmes.

Going to bed now and starting a new book xx
    Debt free - Mortgage free - Work free ( in that order )
    • Frith
    • By Frith 13th Jan 19, 10:30 PM
    • 4,883 Posts
    • 46,159 Thanks
    Frith
    Pleasures for today (Sunday).

1) A lie in!

2) Hens very jolly indeed and kept flying up into the sleeping quarters and looking at me as I changed their bedding.

3) Got quite a lot done - mountain of washing up, 2 loads of washing, mended the Roman blind where all the weedy little clips had pulled off the back, cleaned the bathroom, watered the orchids and hyacinths...

4) Took bigger son for a driving licence and he's really starting to get the hang of it (to the point that I can occasionally look out of the side window!)

5) Fajitas for tea.

6) Have just been watching Hunted with bigger son.
    Verschlimmbesserung
    • Suffolksue
    • By Suffolksue 13th Jan 19, 11:23 PM
    • 74 Posts
    • 857 Thanks
    Suffolksue
    Thank you all so much for your support ,thank you[B]Mhagster for that supportive message and BoP im honoured to get a Jenny !
    We have had a quiet day ,though did still manage to go to hear a pre booked Local History talk at our small theatre ,had chosen our seats well ,so not too difficult access .
    Glad DD has arrived safely in Aus Mhagster and that the driving is beginning to 'clic'Frith
    I Remember our two learning to drive
    DD went out not really sure if she wanted to ,found she enjoyed it and could do it ,passed v quickly .
    DS went out cocky as 17 yr old lads are ,he'd seen the film got the t shirt and played the (early ) games .
    Oh dear there were other cars on the road ! Took him a lot longer than his sister ,he's a good safe driver now with 3 lads of his own .
    Going to bed v soon ,and hope for no disturbances !We've both had a giggle ,if anyone had come in and seen a starkers DH on all fours and me behind him trying to get him up ,they'd have thought we were involved in some weird sex game !,
    Thank you everyone
    • Mrs Salad Dodger
    • By Mrs Salad Dodger 13th Jan 19, 11:27 PM
    • 1,371 Posts
    • 15,858 Thanks
    Mrs Salad Dodger
    Extra Saturday pleasure: Got a email from my Fitbit - 5,000 steps

Sunday’s pleasures

Drizzly day on & off but again warmer

Lovely chat with next door neighbour. Found out we have a great local councillor Someone has converted their loft without planning permission & ndn emailed councillor - no reply but a knock on the door & there was our councillor He will set the wheels in motion to have the offending extension taken down

Then a really lovely surprise - DB turned up in a van with his German fil - cup of coffee, good old catch up & then they were off to Wales for a job.

Finished decluttering holiday wash bags

Street light on for an hour or so but then went out & stayed off

Tasty but quite unhealthy dinner - full English+ breakfast: fried - onions, mushrooms, bacon, eggs & sliced par boiled potatoes (for DSis) + oven baked - sausages, mushrooms, tomatoes & hash browns (DH & I). DH & DSis both had a couple of slices of bread.
    Los for one probably me as - not a pleasure DSis has been ill & DH has pork pie for his lunch

Enjoyed Dancing on Ice & the correct person was evicted

Anticipated pleasure of watching Casualty & Call the Midwife

Reading your pleasures

MrsSD
    • house elf
    • By house elf 14th Jan 19, 6:09 AM
    • 917 Posts
    • 12,026 Thanks
    house elf
    Good morning,

Sunday

1. Washed the dog. She has been very smelly, but her ear is healed enough to have a proper wash in the shower.

2. Builders took down the shed. I was very sad. It is on the original plans for the house. Possibly a wash house or food store. However, it was ready to fall down. They have saved the bricks to re use in making steps for the extension. (Finally, they understand I don't want them to throw perfectly good stuff into landfill). We now have a space for a fire pit and seating area, and a view

3. Thwarted in my attempts to go shopping.......Could not get into the car park at MrW, they had someone directing traffic in and out of Mr S, got to Mr M just before 4pm only to find that the students and their Mummy and Daddies had got there before me and stripped it bare......the students are back Managed to buy bread and milk in C O O P

4. Made tea from stuff in the fridge. Turned a small beef joint into steaks, mini sweet corn cobs, asparagus, chips in the Actifry. Chocolate cake and custard. All plates cleared.

5. Call the Midwife, quilted a square of my throw.

Sadly, DH got a message to say his Aunt had died.....she was 90. I really liked her. She used to take my side when DMiL made her little jibes about me

Have a lovely day
    Synchro Mums - 'Changing the world one sequin at a time' Lady GaGa
    'We have more in common than that which divides us.' Jo Cox
    • villagelife
    • By villagelife 14th Jan 19, 7:12 AM
    • 1,567 Posts
    • 17,481 Thanks
    villagelife
    For the past couple of days.
    1. Enjoyed watching rugby in Saturday. We won and an enjoyable match DS1 came tio. He had been out the night before with friends.

2. A long chat with a friend on the phone.

3. After rugby and home and had Chinese take out with DS2 and his girlfriend. Enjoyable chatting. Spent 3 hours at the table.

4. In Sunday went for a 20km walk with my sister's for younger sister's 59th birthday. A very good day and lots of talking and a lovely route along the Thames and saw many of the London landmarks.

5. Found a bar before coming home for a celebratory glass of champagne.

6. Home and DS2 had cooked.

7. DH had written the eulogy for his Mum's funeral. I had started it by writing most of it but in no order and without the initial bit of her childhood which she never talked about.
    • LaineyT
    • By LaineyT 14th Jan 19, 8:35 AM
    • 2,608 Posts
    • 32,902 Thanks
    LaineyT
    Sunday pleasures,

Up early to get the beef in slow cooker, the world is very quiet at 7am on a Sunday.

Usual morning routine of bacon butties and catching up on all things Ambridge.

Family arrived, food all eaten and enjoyed. Much laughter and happiness, there is nothing better.

My DSIL had a sort through my books which were destined for charity shop, we often do a swap.

Collapsed tired but happy on the sofa and was delighted to see a new series of Vera was starting, one of my favs.
    • ampersand
    • By ampersand 14th Jan 19, 10:21 AM
    • 8,505 Posts
    • 33,293 Thanks
    ampersand
    dfv - if & is seeing things aright, you are online. PM read please:-)
    CAP[UK]for FREE EXPERT DEBT&BUDGET HELP:01274 760720, freephone0800 328 0006
    'People don't want much. They want: "Someone to love, somewhere to live, somewhere to work and something to hope for."
    Norman Kirk, NZLP- Prime Minister, 1972
    ***JE SUIS CHARLIE***
    'It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere' François-Marie AROUET

• Blackbeard of Perranporth
    • By Blackbeard of Perranporth 14th Jan 19, 12:04 PM
    • 5,733 Posts
    • 33,627 Thanks
    Blackbeard of Perranporth
    How well that describes our lives
    Sue. Jenny is BoP's ICD!
    DD Shut it! I know. Schoolboy errors! The curse. Had to ‘appen, like. That’s what ‘appens whens your MotM!
    PK. Proper good breakfast that and gets yous right for the day! I knows cause BoP had the usual on Saturday! Now BoP spices up his breakfast, his grilled toms are topped with garlic bits, pepper and sage! Yous should try it! No has beens this weak though! BoPsie did an emergency cupbored check because of the lack of has beens and we had some, but BoP had decided to just do grilled toms. So there, like it or lump it at boP palace.
    SD No no no no no no no no no no no! BreaFest with oven baked snorkers! Dear me! No excuse! Hash Browns, it gets worse! How many more times has BoP has to tells you lot about processed foods! They are all carp and need to be avoided. As above, ifs its not write, yous does not start the day rite!

V So I dids curry yesterday for dinner. Big bowl as well. And yous know the usual rules. It is stored on the stove, the refrigerator is for the wobbleade. Nows theres was a thing in paper yesterday about letting cheese breathe. It is also stored out with the refrigerator! Please don’t follow the advice of BoP if you are pregnant or suffer from bad tummies! xmas pud was served with instant proper thick custard! Raffles was impressed!

4 Watched the flix of net last night, Richard Dreyfus in a new release, Last Laugh. Bit crude, so it is a good job sparra only popped over the fence for a while! That was after inn town on FryDay night. We back rowed at the flicks watching Stan and Ollie. Seems Mr Cougan is a better actor than comedian, we saw him inn Sherlock last month. That’s the free flix tickets gone now until May and there be a Melissa McCarthy film to watch as well! Nows that’s yous entertainment sorted then. Other tripe is available!

3 Now all set for this weaks luncheon box. Orange jelly this time, was going to grabs mes a trifle at emporium, because BoPsie does not like trifle and I can have one. Well not paying that much for one, so I has mes usual. Oranges in orange jelly. Strawbs, toms and cucumber, pork pie, blue riband, two cakes of Jaffa and some cheese!

2 Nite BoP is trimming in the gym.

Having one today, see above. Had it on Saturday! No, I fears that misogamy is to become a crime. BoP is not affected by this, he is just an old grisly MCP. If you are a snowflake, please return to your safe space. Interesting how some media outlets talk about things so false it beats your. Now actually as boP has mentioned before, well apparently today is Blue Monday. Or the realisation that your pay packet on 20th of December was to last until 91st January!

Any more of this and I will be round there sore tin out your
    Cardiac Arrest - Electrical - Patient unconscious! Heart Attack - Plumbing - Patient conscious!
    Defibrillators Cannot Cure a Heart Attack!
    • VJsmum
    • By VJsmum 14th Jan 19, 12:23 PM
    • 5,430 Posts
    • 79,833 Thanks
    VJsmum
    Afternoon (Just!) all

Pleasures for Sunday

1. Waking up in my own bed, a little earlier than I'd have liked but hey ho..
    2. Caught up with all things Ambridge and watched the end of ABC murders
    3. Did the shopping so the fridge is stocked again. the washing was mostly caught up with
    4. A walk round the block with OH, in the only brightness we had all day
    5. OH cooked roast chicken dinner and I made a crumble with the soft apples and pears.

Now, I really must crack on - have a good day all
    You're out with a friend in the capital, I'm a thousand leagues under the sea
    You're hovering worriedly over your eggs, And I'm pondering trees
    I'm wandering long, And I'm pondering trees
    For you and me
    Guy Garvey
    • mhagster
    • By mhagster 14th Jan 19, 7:40 PM
    • 3,159 Posts
    • 37,080 Thanks
    mhagster
    Hello.

Just put heating on as much to dry washing as to warm up.

Woke after 7 which is very late for me...dreaming my sister was randomly driving us all very fast in a bus but a very young DD2 had the steering wheel! Slightly discombobulated when I woke!

Braced myself to go into the cupboard in DD1 room which has her things, her sisters overspill, spare clothes for GN when she stays. A guitar or two...one of which fell on my foot. There was the carrier bag of the kitchen drawer where you put everything and anything in! Emptied prior to kitchen being emptied ( September ) it's now all over my bed! So that's to be done before I climb in later. Random nothing really!

Had a very productive meeting this afternoon. Much to be considered.

Had parked at M0rrisons so got 2 packs of wraps for 5p each and 4 packs of bacon for 10p each.

Home, quick dog walk then made soup using up last pack of veggies and edamame beans that cost 8p or so last week , chucked in a handful of the never ending sprouts ( 2 X 10p bags from M&S between Christmas and NY) and some of the bacon. Huge pot of soup for around 15p ! Fab! And it was so tasty. Son had that with an omelette with bacon , RTC mushrooms and RTC salad leaves. Working my meals around what I've got in fridge .

For lunch I'd had the leftover turkey mince stuff with rice and salad and it was yummalicious!

Put some pictures up on family room wall and it looks so much better.

Found a tub of tablet ( sweet) that I'd obviously hidden too well. Yuk! Was off! In bin. What a waste. I think it must have been from Halloween.
    • plumduff55
    • By plumduff55 14th Jan 19, 9:07 PM
    • 560 Posts
    • 5,392 Thanks
    plumduff55
    Hi, my five for today are;

1) Went to visit Stirling Castle using the Historic Scotland membership I was given at Christmas. Went on a guided tour of the castle and was amazed by its history.

2) My friend and I sat in the Queen Anne garden and shared a flask of hot chocolate and croissants with chocolate spread. It was beautiful and sunny although very cold. Made the hot drink even more enjoyable.

3) I had turkey curry from the freezer for dinner.

4) I started a free trial of Amazon Prime yesterday so have been watching Outlander. Although I've seen the first 2 series ages ago and series 3 while in Australia last year I'm now watching again from the beginning. At the end of the month I will decide whether to keep Netflix or Amazon Prime.

5) Just settling down to watch Silent Witness while knitting a lacy baby cardigan. Have to be careful though as making a mistake with a lace pattern is murder trying to correct.

Enjoy your evening xx
    Debt free - Mortgage free - Work free ( in that order )
    • Frith
    • By Frith 14th Jan 19, 9:20 PM
    • 4,883 Posts
    • 46,159 Thanks
    Frith
    So annoyed with smaller son's school (again). The draconian behaviour policy continues - after school detentions for anything from forgetting a pen to being in the wrong place at the wrong time.

Tomorrow he'll have been back for 7 days and will have spent 3 in isolation. He got sanctions for not doing homework, trying to get inside when they have to stay outside at lunchtime (it was raining) and for forgetting a pencil. This is a pupil with a big, thick EHCP who was so upset to be missing even more GCSE lessons this morning that they had to put him in his own isolation (i.e not in the room with the other "naughty" pupils, but in a separate room, somewhere else, entirely on his own)...

As he said this evening "They keep telling me I am failing everything but then stop me from going to any lessons".

Not sure what to do at this point. Have already involved a governor. The solution that keeps getting flung at me is that I home educate him until his GCSEs.

Anyway, pleasures for today:

1) Some sleep.

2) Work was OK.

3) Bigger son fed the hens for me which gave me more time to get ready this morning.

4) Driving lessons for bigger son.

5) Sausage casserole for tea then shop bought treacle sponges.

6) In bed now with 1hwb and will listen to the radio.
    Verschlimmbesserung
    • Purple kitten
    • By Purple kitten 15th Jan 19, 12:09 AM
    • 1,993 Posts
    • 22,064 Thanks
    Purple kitten
    Frith, I wish I could help or offer useful advise, but all I can do is offer virtual hugs.

1 Ordered animal meds
    2 A contract has come up, interview later in the week.
    3 Meal planned for rest of the week
    4 Popped over the bridge from some C0stco offers and a ponder to ikea for tealights and something mil asked for, we also picked up some wood from their recycling.
    5 Home, warm and a cuppa.
    • sparrer
    • By sparrer 15th Jan 19, 12:58 AM
    • 6,779 Posts
    • 53,640 Thanks
    sparrer
    Thank you for the welcome back, it's a place where no matter how long we don't post for there's always a cheery welcome to returners. And it's lovely to see some 'newbies' here too, hello to you

Made Jack Monroe's 4-ingredient fruit cake to take to fellowship meeting, it's the 5th I've made so far and disappears in no time. Added some nutmeg and cherries to this one just for a bit of variety.

Returned some clothes to M&S and didn't buy anything to replace them.The bank will be happy

Did a market shop at 3.45pm yesterday (Sunday), 3 good bags of fruit and veg for £2. Been chopping, slicing and freezing all day today! Not just a bargain but also very therapeutic

Cleared out some odds and ends from the kitchen cupboards which I was going to take to the charity shop but they're been inundated post-Christmas and can't take any more goods until the weekend. Rather than have them hanging about I took them to a day centre where they can sell them at their next bazaar.

Watched the birds feeding on scraps on the garden wall, most ate their fill before the naughty black squirrel decided to join them and cleared the rest. It was a busy day for the kites, three pairs over the rooftops. They're really quite graceful and far preferable to watching television

Time for bed now Bear Grills has finished scaling rocks and killing snakes, looking forward to the morning and ironing – I really do love it!
    Last edited by sparrer; 15-01-2019 at 1:26 PM.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,943Posts Today

8,698Users online

Martin's Twitter