Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • DundeeDoll
    • By DundeeDoll 18th Jul 17, 11:34 AM
    • 3,353Posts
    • 37,981Thanks
    DundeeDoll
    5 OS pleasures in your day today - part 3
    • 18th Jul 17, 11:34 AM
    5 OS pleasures in your day today - part 3 18th Jul 17 at 11:34 AM
    Ok I'm diving in as I've noticed several of us have lost posts we thought had posted, and there now seems to be a serious risk of losing the whole thread. So thanks for the heads up Karcher. (and i sympathise Frith - i too like to nip back)

I've revisited the first thread of our part 2, posted 28th October 2009. It said:
    Time for a shiny new thread The old one had got to 4500 odd posts which amounts to 22,500 OS pleasures (at least) It's so good to know that the OS life can be so rewarding.

I'll kick off the new thread.

1) Homemade bread and marmalade for breakfast.

2) A walk over the Malvern Hills to blow away the cobwebs.

3) Drying the washing outside- still, in October.

4) Watching mydaughter making a game out of sweeping the leaves with her friends.

5) The prospect of collecting a big order of meat from the butcher this morning and having my freezer full for less.
    Originally posted by thriftlady
    Part 2 went on considerably longer so many many more pleasures. And of course life stories shared, support given, tears of sorrow and joy shed. Part 2 I shall miss you, but here's to part 3.
    Last edited by DundeeDoll; 18-07-2017 at 11:40 AM.
Page 238
    • Blackbeard of Perranporth
    • By Blackbeard of Perranporth 10th Nov 18, 1:23 PM
    • 5,546 Posts
    • 32,783 Thanks
    Blackbeard of Perranporth
    Qucik, bang it is wrong!
    V Was inn town yesterday, car serviced so I has wheels for the winter, just need the tyres nor and we will be tooting others out of the way! Got it?

4 I see the campaign has started. And I has told you about proper butter over the last few years. Well that glycerine and the oil that you used, as told first it was good for you and then because it was vegetarian. Well such a shame the political advert has been banned because of concern about what goes in the emulsions! Blow me!
    I said before and on and on and on and on and on and on and on again! Emulsions for the walls of homes not your arteries!

3 Please do not sign that buck face thing, other wise you will end up us crass things on the ogle box!

2 Day BoP managed just before the downpour to put up the new lamp in the yard. Still as it is raining and Raffles has decided that it is a wet day, I will set it tomorrow!

Having one later when the Mariners play. PM2DD Do we need to stay in the tin pot competition!

This message will automatically change in the ...
    Cardiac Arrest - Electrical - Patient unconscious! Heart Attack - Plumbing - Patient conscious!
    Defibrillators Cannot Cure a Heart Attack!
    • Flo61
    • By Flo61 10th Nov 18, 2:56 PM
    • 53 Posts
    • 501 Thanks
    Flo61
    Nice new dentist
    Man 60ish wearing woolly hat and big headphones at bus stop
    Rain on my face
    Salmon and cream cheese sandwich
    Gogglebox
    • By Blackbeard of Perranporth 10th Nov 18, 4:35 PM
    • 5,546 Posts
    • 32,783 Thanks
    Cloud Nine ...
    pm2dd #wembley!
    Cardiac Arrest - Electrical - Patient unconscious! Heart Attack - Plumbing - Patient conscious!
    • VJsmum
    • By VJsmum 10th Nov 18, 6:43 PM
    • 5,371 Posts
    • 79,059 Thanks
    VJsmum
    Evening all

Pleasures for yesterday

1. Having DS here - we were working together. Well I was working, he was procrastinating
    2. Weather was shocking, but I didn't have to go out in it until later
    3. Welsh Jan came for coffee - haven't seen her for a few weeks.
    4. OH and I went to the cinema - there is an African film festival on. Film was excellent and we sat with a large glass of vino
    5. Came home for cheese and wine supper

Out for a meal in a sec that the mother in law gave us money for . Have a nice evening
    You're out with a friend in the capital, I'm a thousand leagues under the sea
    You're hovering worriedly over your eggs, And I'm pondering trees
    I'm wandering long, And I'm pondering trees
    For you and me
    Guy Garvey
    • plumduff55
    • By plumduff55 10th Nov 18, 8:01 PM
    • 493 Posts
    • 4,493 Thanks
    plumduff55
    Hi everyone, my five for today are;

1) Great morning washing and organising my time and budget.

2) Went for a walk after lunch and popped into a friend's on my way back. Great chat with tea and a Tunnocks tea cake - my friends all know to have a supply of Tunnocks tea cakes in for my visits

3) Had a quick dinner from the freezer - lasagne, actifry chips & carrots then chocolate sauce pudding.

4) Watching Strictly while knitting the collar on a lacy matinee jacket, then just have to do the bonnet and sew up.

5) Really looking forward to watching The Outlaw King on Netflix after Strictly. It's about Robert The Bruce. I like Chris Pine but hope his Scottish accent is good enough. I will absolutely have to have a drambuie while I'm watching this

Have a good evening xx
    Last edited by plumduff55; 10-11-2018 at 10:44 PM.
    Debt free - Mortgage free - Work free ( in that order )

NST November in New York 11/20
    • mhagster
    • By mhagster 10th Nov 18, 11:38 PM
    • 3,099 Posts
    • 36,323 Thanks
    mhagster
    I'm sure that this is well past my bed time.

A day of much quiet & catching up on telly.

Work! Mega busy but on my favourite bit so passed quickly enough.

My dog. Ever so pleased to see me.
    • Frith
    • By Frith 11th Nov 18, 12:44 AM
    • 4,778 Posts
    • 45,204 Thanks
    Frith
    Pleasures for today (Saturday).

1) Not a bad sleep.

2) Hens well and they had porridge plus casserole LO from last night. And layers' pellets.

3) Bigger son went to work (pub job) and it turned out they were doing the buffet for the funeral of one of his distant relations (of which there are dozens and dozens in the surrounding villages). These are his father's relations.

4) Got a few jobs done.

5) Took the old door to my parents' where it will probably be made into a hen pen or similar. Dad had been putting the silhouttes of serviceman in the church - clear Perspex seated figures who are sitting on the pews. The wooden carved war memorial is now in the church - there is an identical one in pretty much every primary school in Worcestershire. The school closed in 2000 and I think I can remember the 7 names on it now, as we used to see it every day.

6) Watched a bit of Strictly.

7) Made kedgeree for tea which I haven't made for decades. Used one dinner's worth of my smoked mackerel - a Sainsburys lady came running after me saying they were selling it off cheaply so she did 3 dinner sized bags - for 60p! They've been in the freezer and made 3 different meals.
    Last edited by Frith; 11-11-2018 at 12:49 AM.
    Verschlimmbesserung
    • LaineyT
    • By LaineyT 11th Nov 18, 7:52 AM
    • 2,497 Posts
    • 31,292 Thanks
    LaineyT
    Saturday pleasures,

Bit of a lie-in followed by scrambled egg and toms on toast.

Made a Bara Birth and also a list of ingredients needed for C cake.

Rode out in the sunny afternoon, got just about as far as we go and the heavens opened. I was wet down to me undies finally got back and had pony comfy & warm in 10 minutes. Took a bit longer for me as had to drive home but finally got into a warm bath.

A glass of something alcohol, just for medicinal purposes you understand.

Quiet evening watching a bit of tv and in bed, reading, by 10pm.
    • Olliebeak1951
    • By Olliebeak1951 11th Nov 18, 8:41 AM
    • 360 Posts
    • 3,265 Thanks
    Olliebeak1951
    Mine for yesterday -

1. Two loads of laundry done. Weather not good enough to put out on line, but managed to spread it out between the airer and radiator rails, so was dry by this morning .

2. Out for brekkie with DGD1. Only went to Wethy's this time, but was quite good - she had the 'Full Traditional' and I had the 'GF Version' - ie same as hers but without sausages and Hash Browns .

3. Had a quick bimble around Mr T's - got some whoopsies, fresh salad stuff, GF Onion Rings and laundry liquid.

4. No trip to Mr T's is complete without a visit to Costa - so we went in there before going our separate ways.

5. Back home in time make a start on some sewing that I've committed myself to but not sure if I'm going to be able to fulfil this commitment. I'm struggling to pick up pins with my right hand - the finger tips are still numb/tingly .

6. DGD2 arrived with a 'flying visit' from DD to drop her off.

7. Evening meal of Pork Steak with mashed Rustic Baby Pots, steamed mixed veg and gravy for DGD2 and me - OH had steamed Bassa Fillet instead.

8. Managed to watch Midsomer Murders, before DGD2 got her way about watching 'Zzzzzz Factor' ! I had another go at the sewing project .
    • DundeeDoll
    • By DundeeDoll 11th Nov 18, 9:16 AM
    • 3,353 Posts
    • 37,981 Thanks
    DundeeDoll
    for yesterday
    1) renewed my 50+ railcard and got return to Edinburgh for £17
    2) train down very full of rugby fans but caught the 9:45 that started at Dundee and made sure I got there early so got a seat :-)
    3) lovely day with other members of the Dorothy Dunnett Readers Association - we gather across the world to remember her on the Saturday closest to the 9th November. The Edinburgh gathering lay roses on her inscribed flagstone just outside Writers' Museum in Makar's Court then a leisurely lunch then a drink
    4) early to Waverley so we could get a seat home. Only 3 carriages so not surprising a lot of rugby fans couldn't get on at Haymarket!
    5) mrpiano very kindly came out in the rain to pick me and mum up.
    Then a very early start this morning for the 5:50am service Battle's Over. Breakfast at City Chambers. They were happy at the end for me to take a leftover bacon sarnie so that's lunch done :-)
    PM2BOP 2nd round here we come
    For 2018 be kind, be courageous, and never ever eat pears
    • By Blackbeard of Perranporth 11th Nov 18, 2:11 PM
    • 5,546 Posts
    • 32,783 Thanks
    Cornflower ...
    11 For Steve Marks brother, lain of Sir Galahad. 1982.

100. Grandfather was spat on during the Great War, his father had come from Prussia some years earlier. The Prussian flag that hung on Wellington's cortege had been removed earlier in that conflict.

Cannot attend any parade that has politicos on it, and some fairy story teller giving words.

That is the end of the European civil war. part 2?
    • MrsLurcherwalker
    • By MrsLurcherwalker 11th Nov 18, 5:38 PM
    • 12,815 Posts
    • 177,113 Thanks
    MrsLurcherwalker
    1) Beautiful autumn day and only one light shower, fab!

2) Coffee out at a new to us garden centre and a lovely drive over some absolutely stunning countryside made even more magnificent by the wonderful colours this autumn has produced on the hillsides.

3) A vivid and complete rainbow, we could see the complete arc and both ends.

4) Nice walk round the lake this afternoon where again the leaf colours were beautiful and giving a clear reflection in the waters of the lake.

5) Meeting some lovely dogs and their owners when we walked we met Olwyn the collie and two beautiful whippets all of whom were ultra friendly and gave us cuddles and in the case of Olwyn lovely muddy footprints!
    Thumpers mum was right - if you can't find anything nice to say don't say anything at all!
    • DundeeDoll
    • By DundeeDoll 11th Nov 18, 7:39 PM
    • 3,353 Posts
    • 37,981 Thanks
    DundeeDoll
    1) after a sleep watched cenotaph on television.
    2) bacon sarnie made a very nice lunch
    3) white vinegar seems to have done the trick with getting deodorant stain from favourite dress
    4) found my sewing kit and mended a jacket, a blouse and a onesie and turned up a dress (woo hoo very mse)
    5) sorting through sheets of which I have far too many have found lovely duvet and pillowcases - hearts, fir trees and snowflakes now adorn my bed. surplus will go to animal shelter
    For 2018 be kind, be courageous, and never ever eat pears
    • Purple kitten
    • By Purple kitten 11th Nov 18, 7:47 PM
    • 1,931 Posts
    • 21,351 Thanks
    Purple kitten
    1 Up at very early to assist in a remembrance parade, armed with a flask.
    2 Home for a late lunch bacon roll, and dinner is a chop with hm coleslaw
    3 I meal planned from the freezer, stew tomorrow, roast Tues.
    4 I did a bit of deep cleaning, DH vaxed the carpets while I went around the skirting, door frame and blumin louvre doors cleaning them all, it looks a lot better, itís the joy of having animals.
    5 Tempted to sit and stay but I need to move and finish the jelly that sieved overnight, DH wants to turn the leftover bits into a leather playing with the dehydrator.
    • plumduff55
    • By plumduff55 11th Nov 18, 9:53 PM
    • 493 Posts
    • 4,493 Thanks
    plumduff55
    My five for today are ;

1) Bacon with hp sauce sandwich for breakfast.

2) Impromptu visit to mums to watch the service of remembrance with her. Really glad I went as she was feeling very nostalgic.

3) Lunch at mum's.

4) Very lazy afternoon. Kidding myself I'm resting and getting ready for a very busy week with lots of sewing.

5) Very grateful for good friends.

I'm leaving early tomorrow to visit ddil and grandchildren and should get there in time to collect dgs from nursery. First time ever I'll be collecting him and I can't wait to see his face xx
    Debt free - Mortgage free - Work free ( in that order )

NST November in New York 11/20
    • Mrs Salad Dodger
    • By Mrs Salad Dodger 11th Nov 18, 10:32 PM
    • 1,209 Posts
    • 13,779 Thanks
    Mrs Salad Dodger
    Pleasures since Wednesday

Spoilt rotten on my birthday flowers, chocolates, 10 birthday cards
    No cooking on Wednesday
    Long lazy soak
    Friend phoned - nice long chat
    Three of us meeting for lunch next week
    Window cleaner came
    Home alone from Friday to Friday as DH & DSis in France - lovely how tidy the house stays with just me in it
    Home made soup - very tasty once I had crumbled in some blue cheese & enough to have lunch all week
    Using up lots of bits & pieces to make my evening meals
    Newly laundered bedding
    Being able to watch what I like on TV
    Daily phone calls from my DH
    Nice chat with neighbours
    Not having to go out in the rain
    Reading your posts

MrsSD
    • mhagster
    • By mhagster 11th Nov 18, 10:50 PM
    • 3,099 Posts
    • 36,323 Thanks
    mhagster
    Just waiting on a washing finishing then I'm heading to bed.

Busy enough day.

Went to church for Remembrance service.

Nipped into M&S. I'm not sure if they've changed the recipe of apricot Swiss roll ( was my favourite but just doesn't taste the same) so I got an RTC carrot cake instead. Popped into Home Bargains and got a few bits to put away for next month.

Ordered DD1 a duvet set which she can use here then she can take it back with her. Has avocados on it. She likes them! Saved on postage and will collect in store.

Work. Was fine. Hurrah for last shift of week. I was within the castle courtyard. How fabulous is that. Loved being there.
    • Frith
    • By Frith 11th Nov 18, 11:23 PM
    • 4,778 Posts
    • 45,204 Thanks
    Frith
    Pleasures for today (Sunday).

1) A lie in!

2) Lie in interrupted by my sister and niece who had come to see the new door and play with the train track, respectively.

3) Hens well and I spent another hour digging the allotment. In the small raised bed last year I accidentally grew rows of hollyhocks and wallflowers, thinking they were leftover radishes and lettuces! So I moved the raised bed and the plants to where Samantha Hen is buried and we've now got an uninterrupted growing space.

4) Bigger son carved me a new spoon.

5) My school friend phoned to run through something with me.

6) Really enjoyed Doctor Who.
    Verschlimmbesserung
    • house elf
    • By house elf 12th Nov 18, 6:53 AM
    • 845 Posts
    • 11,180 Thanks
    house elf
    Good Morning,

Saturday and Sunday.

1. Good shopping in Waitrose with the last of my MoCs.

2. Builders had a good day.

3. Found a fiver on the ground.

4. DS2 in Rememberance parade.

5. Saturday night victory meal for Film Quiz champions

6. LO for Sunday lunch.

6. Watching the Royals arrive at Rememberance at the Abbey. Don't know why it is on my list, but they looked wonderful, and the service was too.

7. Roast dinner.

8. The Grinch......same old story, Grinch colours. Only one child in the cinema, everyone else was an adult.

Have a lovely day.
    Synchro Mums - 'Changing the world one sequin at a time' Lady GaGa
    'We have more in common than that which divides us.' Jo Cox
    • LaineyT
    • By LaineyT 12th Nov 18, 8:19 AM
    • 2,497 Posts
    • 31,292 Thanks
    LaineyT
    Sunday pleasures,

Up early and made sure all sorted in time for earlier Archers.

Watched parts of the service from the cenotaph, canít abide the great and the good doing their thing but will watch the ordinary folk march past, they do whilst others just sign the orders!

A lot of football watched by the menfolk, United crashed out despite a very late revival, time to concentrate on the league

Watched Dynasties and cheered on Dave when he took back control.

Reading in bed listening to rain hitting the window, very cosy.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

179Posts Today

1,158Users online

Martin's Twitter