Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • DundeeDoll
    • By DundeeDoll 18th Jul 17, 11:34 AM
    • 3,353Posts
    • 37,975Thanks
    DundeeDoll
    5 OS pleasures in your day today - part 3
    • 18th Jul 17, 11:34 AM
    5 OS pleasures in your day today - part 3 18th Jul 17 at 11:34 AM
    Ok I'm diving in as I've noticed several of us have lost posts we thought had posted, and there now seems to be a serious risk of losing the whole thread. So thanks for the heads up Karcher. (and i sympathise Frith - i too like to nip back)

I've revisited the first thread of our part 2, posted 28th October 2009. It said:
    Time for a shiny new thread The old one had got to 4500 odd posts which amounts to 22,500 OS pleasures (at least) It's so good to know that the OS life can be so rewarding.

I'll kick off the new thread.

1) Homemade bread and marmalade for breakfast.

2) A walk over the Malvern Hills to blow away the cobwebs.

3) Drying the washing outside- still, in October.

4) Watching mydaughter making a game out of sweeping the leaves with her friends.

5) The prospect of collecting a big order of meat from the butcher this morning and having my freezer full for less.
    Originally posted by thriftlady
    Part 2 went on considerably longer so many many more pleasures. And of course life stories shared, support given, tears of sorrow and joy shed. Part 2 I shall miss you, but here's to part 3.
    Last edited by DundeeDoll; 18-07-2017 at 11:40 AM.
Page 237
    • MrsLurcherwalker
    • By MrsLurcherwalker 8th Nov 18, 9:03 AM
    • 12,806 Posts
    • 177,032 Thanks
    MrsLurcherwalker
    1) A good nights sleep.

2) Wood Stove installed and working last night, utter BLISS! and warm toes!

3) Lovely man who installed the stove actually cleared out the gutter on the chimney side of the house while he was up his ladder, came down and asked HWK for the hose and took it up and washed the gutter too, talk about above and beyond eh?

4) He also helped HWK take down a shelf in the lounge that had been bolted to the wall and the bolts wouldn't undo. Mr Stove had a special gadget which got 'em and he lifted the shelf down as well, such a good bloke.

5) It's NOT raining today so I'm off on the bus to the greengrocers shop in the city for supplies for the weekend.
    Thumpers mum was right - if you can't find anything nice to say don't say anything at all!
    • Blackbeard of Perranporth
    • By Blackbeard of Perranporth 8th Nov 18, 12:13 PM
    • 5,546 Posts
    • 32,770 Thanks
    Blackbeard of Perranporth
    Another dollop for you
    DD. I am well chuffed!

Ollie. Cousin got Chicken pox when I ws eight. We were all round by the time me aunt had the kettle on! problem was me aunt had not had it as well!

V Amazing what Buckface throws up. We have mummies boy who comes out of his tent every morning with a complexion like he has just gotten himsen out of a hotel room and nicely groomed telling me he is desperate to save us all! Out in the west we have our better class of twit. Obviously mummy give shim too much pocket money so he does not have to solicit himself every day to put bread on the table! Back in 1960 Ricky had a five Oíclock shadow! If he is that worried, I hope he did not breed!

4 Algorithm popped on buckface last eve and an old colleague from eons ago suddenly appeared, Avoid, it tracks you! Just like the phone from goggles! Mind you that Mxnchester post about blood donors was around again!

3 Nonsense. That is all you gets from BoP! Got it? And I has not had time to tells yous lot this weak about me packed lunch box! Filled with goodness. Toms, and cucumber, pork pie, orange, 2 clubs this weak, penguins are so last month! Bit of birthday cake, cheese of wooden apples, oranges in blackcurrant jelly and some Birmingham suburb chocolate! Proper tasty!

2 Some nice young fiend on email is looking for someone around the age of thirty. If you know someone let me in and I can get them hooked up!

Not having one today!

End of dollop!
    Cardiac Arrest - Electrical - Patient unconscious! Heart Attack - Plumbing - Patient conscious!
    Defibrillators Cannot Cure a Heart Attack!
    • mhagster
    • By mhagster 8th Nov 18, 10:27 PM
    • 3,098 Posts
    • 36,300 Thanks
    mhagster
    Hello. Bedtime.

Not long in from a fabulous night at work. I'm was chosen (especially) to assist the official photographer.

Thought my friend had asked me to walk her dog today. It was tomorrow...but I did it anyway. I'm used to a big solid dog. Not a wee thing. It was a beautiful morning.

Friends came over. They brought truffles. They left with some chewy oatie biscuits. Lovely to see them.

Popped to T & used my clubcard vouchers.

Made fajitas for the niecely people who were having tea here whilst I was at work... then coming to work.

Picked up friend for work & she'd a couple of bedside tables for me if I wanted them . Thanks!
    • plumduff55
    • By plumduff55 8th Nov 18, 10:32 PM
    • 489 Posts
    • 4,425 Thanks
    plumduff55
    Hi everyone, my five for today are;

1) I spent all morning doing housework. I feel great now knowing the housework's done.

2) Knitting group this afternoon was great fun. It's held in the library - good job they're not strict about silence nowadays.

3) I went to a meditation group in the local town. It certainly relaxes me. Funny going there in the pitch black, last time I went it was daylight while travelling there.

4) Went into M&S afterwards and picked up cheese scones and a farmhouse loaf all half price. I had the scone with butter when I got home - it was delicious.

5) I'm going to bed now and hoping to finish reading my library book tonight. It's a really exciting book by David Baldacci.

Goodnight xx
    Debt free - Mortgage free - Work free ( in that order )

NST November in New York 10/20
    • Purple kitten
    • By Purple kitten 8th Nov 18, 10:39 PM
    • 1,928 Posts
    • 21,325 Thanks
    Purple kitten
    1 Popped out locally to run a few errands, popped to the post office to pick up one parcel when they had 2 apparently.
    2 Local fruit and veg market stand was wonderful, a lot was snaffled some for now, sprouts for Christmas and the dehydrator is fully loaded so DH is happy.
    3 Stopped at the local caf! for lunch and we donít need to say anything the order just arrives, itís so big thou no need for a big tea so just had a roll.
    4 We also decided to pick up the Turkey for the freezer.
    5 All of my foraging is now defrosting in the fridge, and jelly making awaits tomorrow, as tonight I could quite honestly just nap.
    • Frith
    • By Frith 8th Nov 18, 11:19 PM
    • 4,774 Posts
    • 45,178 Thanks
    Frith
    Pleasures for today (Thursday).

1) Not a bad sleep!

2) Smaller son deigned to go to school - hoorah! He refused to take his bag or tie but fortunately staff decided not to mention this. He is in isolation so slept for 2 hours, daydreamed and then messaged me on his phone. He said he didn't pick up a pen all day. They really don't police it very well. Also, the SEN centre where he normally is has pupils from 8.20 so his taxi gets to school at 8.15. The isolation doesn't open until 8.40 so he was just wandering around outside!

Found out the reason for his meltdown on Monday was a member of staff trying to stop him leaving by "barricading" or blocking the door then saying he would "restrain him" which panicked smaller son so much he barged past. I have emailed about this but no reply...

3) Hens very well - 4 eggs today! All feathers are growing nicely. I did about an hour of digging and they all had several worms.

4) Made the sausage casserole they like for tea then bigger son made a treacle sponge.

5) Bigger son and I played poker.

6) In bed now with 1 hwb.

7) Oooo, bigger son is thinking of taking more qualifications - perhaps A levels or an access course. :-)
    Verschlimmbesserung
    • DundeeDoll
    • By DundeeDoll 8th Nov 18, 11:44 PM
    • 3,353 Posts
    • 37,975 Thanks
    DundeeDoll
    1) A day of meetings. 7. so first mse pleasure - i survived
    2) lunch was the left over pizza from yesterday's workshop. Always worth taking an empty lunch box!
    3) the 5th meeting had cake and fruit. my lunch box was empty and clean so i refilled it with left over fruit for breakfast
    4) meeting 6 was fabulous. i was invited to the Apex to celebrate our global scholars. 2 course meal, fantastic stories, just beautiful (so may not technically have been a meeting)
    5) 7th meeting went well - we are organising a small conference in May. Met DD2 at station as she was picking mrpiano up - he'd been doing a concert in Aberdeen. and now for sleep. night all
    For 2018 be kind, be courageous, and never ever eat pears
    • house elf
    • By house elf 9th Nov 18, 7:47 AM
    • 844 Posts
    • 11,166 Thanks
    house elf
    Morning,

We will just gloss over Wednesday.........

Thursday

1. Decided enough is enough, so spoke to line manager about lack of support. Probably won't change anything, but I feel better for saying it.

2. Students worked hard, and we are starting to see some results for weeks of work. Hopefully, they can start selling stuff next week.

3. Conference after work at hipster wine bar. Had to leave before the free wine. Speakers were very interesting......I did eat 2 macaroons supplied by one of the business speakers. Looked them up online later, and found out they are £2 each! (Yet again, I was unprepared, without an empty lunch box DD ).

4. Dashed across the road to film quiz in aid of Children in Need. Much hilarity.

5. We won the film quiz!

Have a lovely day
    Synchro Mums - 'Changing the world one sequin at a time' Lady GaGa
    'We have more in common than that which divides us.' Jo Cox
    • LaineyT
    • By LaineyT 9th Nov 18, 8:31 AM
    • 2,496 Posts
    • 31,273 Thanks
    LaineyT
    Gggrr on that staff member Frith

Thursday pleasures,

Off early to W8rose and caught at horse crossing in town by a large string of racehorses, beautiful creatures and well on their toes.

Over to see my own equine pal, she worked well in the warm sunshine, 14 degrees in November and behaved impeccably.

Carrot & ginger soup for lunch.

Caught up on Only Connect.

Have never read any K Atkinson and have started with Case Histories, compelling read so bedside lamp didnít go out until late.
    • MandM90
    • By MandM90 9th Nov 18, 8:40 AM
    • 1,485 Posts
    • 7,885 Thanks
    MandM90
    Thursday pleasures:

1) The cats snuggling together on the bed. Adorable.
    2) Dinner last night was lush. DH brought home some salads, pickles and fruit (he works away and gets £30 a day for dinner so brings me yummy scraps...ha!), and I set out veggie sausages, bean chilli, cous cous and mange tout. We had a lovely 'picky' dinner and watched an episode of The Royle Family.
    3) Starting to get really excited for Christmas! I'll have 11 days off (work gives us a few gratis) in a ROW! Woohoo!
    4) Clean and tidy home. Managed to scrub/polish the woodburner until it gleamed, polished the slate hearth, decluttered DD's room, did some laundry, finished cleaning the oven (shiny shiny!), polished the dining room table, washed the living room rug and gave the place a quick hoover. DH said the smell of vinegar hit him in the face when he came home, haha!
    5) DD's play last night. She was only a buzzard (it was The Lion King) but she took it so seriously and really gave it some SASS. She continues to amaze us. The school put on an amazing show - they'd hired lighting/stage crew and everything was just stunning. And they served us wine. Think I might actually buy the DVD for the first time.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Marriages & Family,
    Old Style, Mortgage Free Wannabe, Green & Ethical
    boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge threads there. Any views are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com. Board guides are not moderators. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
    • MrsLurcherwalker
    • By MrsLurcherwalker 9th Nov 18, 8:49 AM
    • 12,806 Posts
    • 177,032 Thanks
    MrsLurcherwalker
    1) Good shopping trip to the city and began finding family stocking presents, late this year but with the move....

2) Nice long chat with both DDs at various points of yesterday.

3) Knowing that if the forecast bad weather floods the roads between here and anywhere else or the power goes out for a while as it sometimes does we've the stove to keep us warm and solar lighting ready to go along with a wind up radio to entertain, nice feeling.

4) HWK put up the oak mantlepiece over the wood stove yesterday and we've put the big mirror above it and got the clock etc. back up on the shelf and suddenly turned this place into 'home', just like that. I walked in after being on the bus to the city yesterday and was 'home' it's a lovely feeling.

5) Sitting at the 'new to us' dining table for supper last night with a candle lit, very cosy!
    Thumpers mum was right - if you can't find anything nice to say don't say anything at all!
    • Blackbeard of Perranporth
    • By Blackbeard of Perranporth 9th Nov 18, 9:48 AM
    • 5,546 Posts
    • 32,770 Thanks
    Blackbeard of Perranporth
    BoP inn Town Latest.
    Car in for service. Hurt them more than me.

Just bin to shambles. Good show this morning.

Tea is being procured.

More later.
    Cardiac Arrest - Electrical - Patient unconscious! Heart Attack - Plumbing - Patient conscious!
    Defibrillators Cannot Cure a Heart Attack!
    • Olliebeak1951
    • By Olliebeak1951 9th Nov 18, 11:05 AM
    • 357 Posts
    • 3,229 Thanks
    Olliebeak1951
    Mine for yesterday -

1. Yesterday morning, watching the shenanigans between the squirrel and birds on the bird feeders in downstairs neighbours' garden .

2. Caitlin was still wheezing - so on 5 puffs every four hours - much better by the end of the day .

3. Nathan behaved himself and was extremely helpful when I discovered a leak from below the kitchen sink.

4. DiL (lives in next street to DD) visited looking for some help with a sewing project. She wanted me to show her how to 'cut out a pattern' - and now understands that sewing is NOT AS SIMPLE as she first thought . This could well be her first - and last - attempt .

5. Back home to Gammon, Egg, Mushrooms, Tinned Toms, Hash Browns for evening meal - followed by Emmerdale x 2 and Vera with feet up !
    • plumduff55
    • By plumduff55 9th Nov 18, 8:07 PM
    • 489 Posts
    • 4,425 Thanks
    plumduff55
    My five for today are;

1) My son brought my car back to me at 8am this morning and filled the petrol tank up to nearly overflowing . That's him away back down south now but he'll be back up for Christmas.

2) I went shopping to Glasgow with a friend. First stop Ikea and then Mandors and John Lewis. I bought bits and bobs from Ikea and Christmas fabric from John Lewis. And, let me think ........ buttons from Mandors.

3) Lunch at Ikea was (very unhealthy) chips with tomato sauce and a cake and free tea.

4) Great blether with my friend on the 3 buses to get to Ikea and 3 buses back. Thanks for my bus pass.

5) Dinner at mums was gigot chop casserole, boiled potatoes, brussel sprouts and then tea and a Tunnocks tea cake. All delicious as usual and I'm home with 2 leftover potatoes to fry for breakfast tomorrow.

Happy Friday evening xx
    Debt free - Mortgage free - Work free ( in that order )

NST November in New York 10/20
    • DundeeDoll
    • By DundeeDoll 9th Nov 18, 9:35 PM
    • 3,353 Posts
    • 37,975 Thanks
    DundeeDoll
    A day of annual leave :-)
    1) started day with 1 3/4 hour skype (ok that might have been work...)
    2) lovely brisk walk down to station, dropping bag off at CS on the way
    3) met 4 friends and mum at station and we went for a coffee at the new station cafe which is on 2nd floor looking over to the V&A and river
    4) 5 of us went to V&A - fabulous - then 3 of us to the Ocean Liners exhibition. I have bought an annual pass. It was super and so relaxing
    5) then we went to the white goose for late lunch
    6) took dogs for a walk in the park in the dark. must get them flashing collars
    7) gbf has come round. he has a pillow case needed changed tomorrow in edinburgh
    For 2018 be kind, be courageous, and never ever eat pears
    • Purple kitten
    • By Purple kitten 9th Nov 18, 9:56 PM
    • 1,928 Posts
    • 21,325 Thanks
    Purple kitten
    1 I did a whole house clean and now Iím shattered but the place is cleaner.
    2 Tried to go through some more bits to throw out but couldnít bring myself to sort it today.
    3 Holding off buying a couple of bits, in a thought of the black Friday thing may give a few squid off.
    4 Tea is pork with cider and mustard dressing with various veggies.
    5 2 sets of curtains now washed and hung back up.
    6 Iíve literally just made a batch of cupcakes, as I have a sweet craving.
    • Frith
    • By Frith 9th Nov 18, 11:06 PM
    • 4,774 Posts
    • 45,178 Thanks
    Frith
    Pleasures for today (Friday).

1) Not a bad sleep.

2) Hens well and I dug the allotment for about an hour. Can actually see progress is being made now.

3) Smaller son would not go to school but school rang and are going to try various bribes/punishments. I did say that nothing seems to work twice. The SEN chap from his potential college emailed me so I shall have a meeting there soon so they can brace themselves ready for next year.

4) Played poker then Settlers of Catan this afternoon with sons and my brother.

5) Made a casserole for tea which was a bit dull but perked up with dumplings and a shared portion of chips from the van.

6) After being very difficult in recent weeks, smaller son has just come upstairs twice to give me a hug -not sure why!

7) Have watched Have I Got News For You and shall attempt (again) to watch Gogglebox. Channel 4 player is not working properly.
    Verschlimmbesserung
    • mhagster
    • By mhagster 10th Nov 18, 7:58 AM
    • 3,098 Posts
    • 36,300 Thanks
    mhagster
    Good morning! Dry at the moment after a night of pouring rain. Guess who stood out in it for 5 hours?

Friday was quite busy.

Got up early , showered and then dozed off again and woke at 10am. Shock and horror.

Chat with friend on phone, she had a suprise day off.

I'd stood and broken my glasses the night before. Stepped back to see what had dropped...that would be the expensive glasses that are no longer made so I need to buy new ones! Hello wages. Goodbye wages. Girl at optician was very helpful.

Went to L!dl with my voucher for a £5 off spend. Went round with my phone calculator again. Had written a list. Gave a few vouchers away. Apart from the one lady who obviously thought it was a poisonous voucher and said No. My work is giving them away.

Popped in to a cafe for a late lunch and the lady was having to decorate for Christmas. I ended up chatting and offered to help. My offer was gratefully accepted so I spent half and hour or so wrapping 'pretend 'gifts...someone is getting a tin of treacle and a packet of porridge for Christmas!

Quick home. Quick hello dog , let's go a quick walk dog, here's your dinner dog, I need to layer up for work dog. Then went to work. Which was fine in a wet kind of way. I was at the furthest away point ( not been since my first night) but had company so had a chat at times. Just the rain. The blooming rain! Then hello dog. Mum's home. Give us a cuddle.
    • house elf
    • By house elf 10th Nov 18, 8:27 AM
    • 844 Posts
    • 11,166 Thanks
    house elf
    Good Morning,

All caught up with your postings.

Frith We are told we are not allowed to 'barricade' doors and need to have training to 'restrain'. If the person had been trained, he would have understood that the technique is all about de escalation not confrontation. Any hold is a last resort.

Yesterday

1. Despite having no support staff in the morning, the students worked really hard to produce lots of boxes for our Christmas Eve box project. Proud of them.

2. Stayed late to prepare for classes next week.

3. Gammon, egg and chips for tea.

4. Poppy display finished and looking lovely.

5. Early night.

Have a lovely day
    Synchro Mums - 'Changing the world one sequin at a time' Lady GaGa
    'We have more in common than that which divides us.' Jo Cox
    • Olliebeak1951
    • By Olliebeak1951 10th Nov 18, 8:59 AM
    • 357 Posts
    • 3,229 Thanks
    Olliebeak1951
    Mine for yesterday:

1. More fun and games with the squirrel in downstairs garden - this time the argument was with their cat instead of the birds/bird table . Cat can't understand how the squirrel can climb the concrete washing line post, when she can't !

2. After a busy week, it was so lovely to have a quiet day. 'Slummed it' till lunchtime, then decided to get Henry out for company. Moved couches to do underneath and spent time 'adjusting the loose covers' on couches - they're the right covers (Ikea Ektorp) but have always needed a really hard tug to get them into the correct position . Couches / fleece throws / cushions all looking very pristine after my efforts !

3. Decided that we'd eat a bit earlier than usual - Yellow Split Pea & Ham Soup and Crusty Bread for OH and a Honey Roast Ham Salad for me .

4. Phone call from DGD1 to ask if she come for 'an overnighter'. Never say NO to her, she's a joy to have around . Managed to get in Emmerdale and Coronation Street x2 before she landed .

5. DGD1 arrived with her 'travel tales' - she'd been in Mallorca for a few days - all to do with her Uni Course. This time she was full of 'World Heritage Site' and 'The Black Virgin Statue' instead of Nightclubs/Bars/Restaurants .................. Heavens-to-Betsy - is this girl finally learning to appreciate other things in life !
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,713Posts Today

7,648Users online

Martin's Twitter