Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • DundeeDoll
    • By DundeeDoll 18th Jul 17, 11:34 AM
    • 3,372Posts
    • 38,213Thanks
    DundeeDoll
    5 OS pleasures in your day today - part 3
    • 18th Jul 17, 11:34 AM
    5 OS pleasures in your day today - part 3 18th Jul 17 at 11:34 AM
    Ok I'm diving in as I've noticed several of us have lost posts we thought had posted, and there now seems to be a serious risk of losing the whole thread. So thanks for the heads up Karcher. (and i sympathise Frith - i too like to nip back)

I've revisited the first thread of our part 2, posted 28th October 2009. It said:
    Time for a shiny new thread The old one had got to 4500 odd posts which amounts to 22,500 OS pleasures (at least) It's so good to know that the OS life can be so rewarding.

I'll kick off the new thread.

1) Homemade bread and marmalade for breakfast.

2) A walk over the Malvern Hills to blow away the cobwebs.

3) Drying the washing outside- still, in October.

4) Watching mydaughter making a game out of sweeping the leaves with her friends.

5) The prospect of collecting a big order of meat from the butcher this morning and having my freezer full for less.
    Originally posted by thriftlady
    Part 2 went on considerably longer so many many more pleasures. And of course life stories shared, support given, tears of sorrow and joy shed. Part 2 I shall miss you, but here's to part 3.
    Last edited by DundeeDoll; 18-07-2017 at 11:40 AM.
Page 222
    • plumduff55
    • By plumduff55 12th Oct 18, 7:39 PM
    • 532 Posts
    • 5,069 Thanks
    plumduff55
    My five for today are

1) Really good sleep last night.

2) Good half hour exercising to a Rosemary Connolly dvd.

3) Decluttered and organised the messiest cupboard in my home.

4) Lovely dinner at mums - why is it that no matter what Mum makes it always tastes better than my cooking ?

5) looking forward to watching a film on Netflix and knitting

Good evening all xx
    Debt free - Mortgage free - Work free ( in that order )
    • mhagster
    • By mhagster 12th Oct 18, 9:39 PM
    • 3,122 Posts
    • 36,620 Thanks
    mhagster
    Hello! Bedtime. hopefully a better sleep than last few nights.

Anyway pleasures for past couple of days:

Painting finished. Hurrah. Not my favourite smell.

Visit from the niecelys.

Brickie ...Knocks on door. That's me away. Not enough bricks to finish the job! Seriously? The builder shall hear me next week when he returns from his sun lounger!

Lovely carpet measurer chap came . Measured hall and stair way. That will get fitted next week. He's chucking in the carpet grip and doorway doodahs for free.

Eyebrows waxed this morning.

Went on a country side adventure in Storm Callum. To pick up a very lovely rug. Way up single track roads , middle of nowhere...beautiful farm cottage. Lovely couple and not psychopathic maniacs as I was concerned about! Rug fits perfectly in family room and tones in nicely with the new to me sofas...

Refund on new to me sofa. Thank you.

Paid in a cheque at bank. No queue. How novel!

Lovely wrap/ shawl thing from M&S in charity shop.

Tea was leftovers.

Nice chat with friend on phone.

Catch up with friends at local hotel. My turn to pay.
    Much laughter , the odd tear but much laughter.

Chat with my boy child. He's been taken on at work but at much less of a rate (still okayish) than he was getting as a contract worker. Not sure if he loves it enough to stay. Though he wouldn't leave unless he had a better paid job.

Lovely chat with my Melbourne girl this morning. Loads to chat about.
    • DundeeDoll
    • By DundeeDoll 12th Oct 18, 10:51 PM
    • 3,372 Posts
    • 38,213 Thanks
    DundeeDoll
    Friiiidaaaaay yay
    1) overslept. Thank you mrpiano for waking me up with breakfast. Managed to get washed and dressed at double speed
    2) 10am induction on queenax, new gym rig. Omg those monkey bars are a challenge! And back to office by 11
    3) lunch meeting - new job shaping up nicely
    4) xoh has new job. Same place but sounds very exciting. She sounded very happy about it which is great. Even though we’re split up we were together for 30 years so good to hear good news
    5) then dinner to wish dd1 well as she goes off to Manchester tomorrow.
    For 2018 be kind, be courageous, and never ever eat pears
    • Mrs Salad Dodger
    • By Mrs Salad Dodger 13th Oct 18, 3:49 AM
    • 1,286 Posts
    • 14,500 Thanks
    Mrs Salad Dodger
    Fridayís pleasures

Another dry day but very blowy

This morning Our main squirrel was sat on window ledge outside kitchen - waiting to be fed

DSis went out for a couple of hours

Hm spicy vegetable soup with hm focaccia croutons for lunch - needed soured cream to tone down the spiciness

Fish fishfinger sandwiches for dinner - yummy

Rearranged contents of my two freezers & updated lists

Finished 2nd baby blanket

DH weatherproofed the garden tub, made a rack for all his hammers - 8 of them & continued working on the garden table he is making

Reading your posts
    • house elf
    • By house elf 13th Oct 18, 6:28 AM
    • 872 Posts
    • 11,473 Thanks
    house elf
    Good Morning Folks

Recent Pleasures

1. Wednesday.......beautiful weather. Went to the train station to buy a group ticket for Thursday, and had a lovely chat with guy in the train station. He used to play football at our school when he was a lad.

2. Thursday.....NEC for UK Contruction week with my Vocational group. A Grand Day Out Students were on a freebie hunt, and came back with bags of pens, key rings and rulers.

3. I saw George Clarke (swoon), and spoke to Carwen Jones (such a lovely man).

4. DS2 had first driving lesson. Very happy.

5. Friday........started to design Christmas Eve boxes with my Friday group. Hoping to sell few to staff. Definitely an example of iterative design

6. Lots of reduced stuff in MrA on the way home.

7. DD visa has arrived She will be flying out next week.

8. Watched Vera with DH and DD.

Have a lovely day
    Synchro Mums - 'Changing the world one sequin at a time' Lady GaGa
    'We have more in common than that which divides us.' Jo Cox
    • villagelife
    • By villagelife 13th Oct 18, 7:00 AM
    • 1,537 Posts
    • 17,044 Thanks
    villagelife
    1. Went to MIL house for quite for house clearance. If acceptable he was able to do it then and there. Quote was very expensive so house not cleared yet.

2. Duh up a couple of plants that I will bring home and also a couple of things that I think could sell.

3. DH cousin came round and took loads of stuff for charity shop she works at. We have been unable to find a charity shop that will pick up the furniture within a month.

4. Home in time to spend time in the garden. Grass has been cut

5. Watched rugby and pleased that we weren't playing Leinster!
    • LaineyT
    • By LaineyT 13th Oct 18, 9:02 AM
    • 2,544 Posts
    • 31,930 Thanks
    LaineyT
    Itís the joy of being cooked for Plumduff as per #2

Up early and out to farmshop, picked up a large piece of brisket on special offer, cut into smaller pieces and now nestling in freezer.

Out for lunch, village pub ten minutes from us, lovely food and portions just right as hate to feel beaten before I start.

Lazed around on sofa for a while and watched Mr Holmes on catch up, we saw at flicks when it first come out but thoroughly enjoyed again.

Over to see pony, she was already tucked up in stable out of wind so gave her quick pamper and that was it.

No cooking for me crumpets for supper and settled down to watched Extra slice and Gogglebox.
    • Olliebeak1951
    • By Olliebeak1951 13th Oct 18, 9:58 AM
    • 386 Posts
    • 3,649 Thanks
    Olliebeak1951
    My five for yesterday:

1. Had a totally relaxed day and stayed in nightie/dressing gown all day - lazy mare !

2. Caught up with some friends on Facebook - hadn't had chance all week due to being busy.

3. Long awaited parcel arrived via Mr Postman . This is a REAL highlight for me, as I've explained on another thread .

4. HM Savoury Mince with Mashed Pots and steamed Cabbage/Leek/Celery for evening meal. OH is still .

5. Caught up with soaps - phew so much blood-shed and excitement !

6. Chat with Charity Shop Co-ordinator - I'll be back into harness from next week, starting with Monday afternoon to get back into the swing of things . This is the next step in getting back to 'MY normality'.
    • plumduff55
    • By plumduff55 13th Oct 18, 7:26 PM
    • 532 Posts
    • 5,069 Thanks
    plumduff55
    My five for today are;

1) Tasty bacon sandwich smothered in brown sauce for breakfast.

2) Sitting at kitchen table all morning completing paperwork and budget for next few weeks.

3) Went to nearby town with my friend and found a new cafe where I had a pot of tea and a lovely cake for £3.20 - great for the budget.

4) Had cod steak, peas and home made oven chips for dinner. While the oven was on I baked a chocolate saucy sponge pudding for dinner and some cakes.

5) Best part of Saturday is the evening. Watching Strictly now and a film on Netflix later not forgetting my wee tipple and crisps and maybe even a Turkish Delight. Sounds loads but it's only once a week
    • DundeeDoll
    • By DundeeDoll 13th Oct 18, 9:28 PM
    • 3,372 Posts
    • 38,213 Thanks
    DundeeDoll
    apart from luton losing it's been a very nice day
    1) woke at 7 and did important email for boss
    2) saltation yoga. having paid £190 for a year's membership 11 days ago this was my 5th visit so currently at £38 a visit ;-)
    3) then back in the rain - thank you dd2 for my lovely radley umbrella for my birthday in august
    4) dd1 dd2 and i hd lunch at botanic gardens then dd2 took dd1 to manchester. dd1 is starting her next adventure.
    5) housework then dog walking then mrpiano played rachmaninov 1st sonata then cooked supper.
    • Frith
    • By Frith 13th Oct 18, 9:40 PM
    • 4,818 Posts
    • 45,595 Thanks
    Frith
    Pleasures for today (Saturday).

1) A lie in.

2) Saw the hens and Bonnie poorly. Hunched and refusing to feed. :-(

3) Took smaller son to his open morning at college (the one that does catering). Much panic, moaning and chanting through stress but I was determined we were looking round. We were shown round catering with another girl (a pupil at the school I used to work at!) by a first year student who was marvellous! Shown every kitchen, the uniform, all questions answered.

4) The tension then went towards shin pads (he needs some for Monday) and we went round the usual superstores before finding some in a small, family run sports shop that has been in floody city all my lifetime.

5) All smiles after that and we had a cup of tea outside the Boston Tea House.

6) Bigger son spent hours making a lamb passanda which was lovely.

7) Used the remaining lamb to make burrito filling ready for tomorrow.

8) Watched some of Strictly then Casualty.
    Verschlimmbesserung
    • House Elf
    • By House Elf 14th Oct 18, 7:40 AM
    • 285 Posts
    • 3,319 Thanks
    House Elf
    Good Morning,

Saturday

1. Mooch around Laura Ashley clearance shop.

2. Bogof cake and free loyalty coffees in Caffe Nero.

3. A few sales, and more listed on Ebay.

4. Cleared the dining room for food this evening.

5. Spag bol and garlic bread for tea.

6. Watched the Disaster Artist again.

Have a lovely day
    2016-No Clutter To Be Seen 262/2016
    • villagelife
    • By villagelife 14th Oct 18, 8:01 AM
    • 1,537 Posts
    • 17,044 Thanks
    villagelife
    Some pleasures from a generally frustrating day.
    I worked for a few hours in the morning to ensure a clinic went ahead. Wasn't given the information I needed to do my job, companies I needed to phone weren't open when I needed them to be.
    I left to catch train to watch Quins play and it was cancelled due to disruptive passengers. Next one was late. Twickenham station was closed so a bus ride so I missed first half.
    Day started to improve.

1. A convincing win for once. Enjoyed watching the match with a wine. Generally it's too tense to enjoy.

2. After the match a player coming over to a group of Dutch children.
    They were delighted.

3. A walk to Richmond as couldn't face a bus journey back. Train was there.

4. Had a walk and meal in London. Enjoyable. Warm walking around too.

5. Journey home ok. Two trains as engineering works but both too time.
    • Olliebeak1951
    • By Olliebeak1951 14th Oct 18, 8:47 AM
    • 386 Posts
    • 3,649 Thanks
    Olliebeak1951
    Five for yesterday:

1. Weather not very good outdoors, so only did one load of laundry - just enough that it would dry easily on the airer .

2. Finally got in the shower and it felt soooo good - total bliss - managed to keep my 'healing scar' dry !

3. Very relaxed afternoon caught up with some online Family History research.

4. Use-it-up-evening-meal of HM Spicy Sweet Potato Wedges, GF Sausages and Mushrooms .

5. Played a very addictive word game on my tablet - followed by an early night !
    • Blackbeard of Perranporth
    • By Blackbeard of Perranporth 14th Oct 18, 2:31 PM
    • 5,608 Posts
    • 33,168 Thanks
    Blackbeard of Perranporth
    That is all for now!
    V Was at wedding of niece yesterday. Was good toast as well. Tum was rubbed!

4 Did shop this day in emporium w8rs and partners! Punter in front cannot cook and got the ready quick nuke foods.

3 So got loads inn and today wes has Jack's Tea. Table set and grab your. Mushroom soup and bun, and to finish, Strawbs, ice cream and smashed meringues. Crumbs l;ater.

2 No game for the mariners yesterday!

Not having one today.

Interesting set up on the ...
    Cardiac Arrest - Electrical - Patient unconscious! Heart Attack - Plumbing - Patient conscious!
    Defibrillators Cannot Cure a Heart Attack!
    • DundeeDoll
    • By DundeeDoll 14th Oct 18, 9:53 PM
    • 3,372 Posts
    • 38,213 Thanks
    DundeeDoll
    1) much nicer day. the duvet the dog pee'd on has been scrubbed, sprayed with antibacterial spray, and left on the line for a week so be doused in rain more than once. it is now fresh and i didn't have to pay for the launderette or buy a new one, so feeling mse proud of myself
    2) after church unexpected birthday lunch at local eaterie. i had roast beef with all the trimmings. nommy
    3) walked dogs - the dog who pee'd is recovering from a sprain so still slightly slow, but did manage quite a decent length walk without insisting mrpiano carried him
    4) on way back from mrT called in on mrpiano's brother to give him his birthday present. we stayed for a cuppa and nice chat
    5) and now, after late supper, in bed watching dr who. oh my goodness, why hasn't a medipod implanted a universal translator in me? always was rubbish at languages!
    • plumduff55
    • By plumduff55 14th Oct 18, 10:34 PM
    • 532 Posts
    • 5,069 Thanks
    plumduff55
    My five pleasures for today are :

1) Another bacon sandwich for breakfast today and then a very lazy morning.

2) I finally got around to coating a new garden bench with teak oil. I've been meaning to do it all summer and glad that's it done now.

3) I walked for 3 miles after lunch - once the sun came out it was lovely.

4) Home made dinner from the freezer so only had to microwave it. Then leftover chocolate sauce pudding from yesterday.

5) Enjoyed watching Dr Who, Strictly results then a dvd while knitting a scarf in a chunky plush polyester yarn. It's to go with my new winter coat I bought in the sales last year.

I always feel less guilty about sitting all night watching tv if I've been productive knitting as well
    • Frith
    • By Frith 15th Oct 18, 12:25 AM
    • 4,818 Posts
    • 45,595 Thanks
    Frith
    Pleasures for today (Sunday)

1) A lie in.

2) Listened to the Archers.

3) Hen that was ill yesterday miraculously better, despite the torrential rain. 3 eggs.

4) My brother came after lunch and we had a game of Settlers of Catan then a bit of poker.

5) Burritos for tea and bigger son made an apple pie.

6) Watched Dr Who.

7) Smaller son did his homework.
    Verschlimmbesserung
    • villagelife
    • By villagelife 15th Oct 18, 6:41 AM
    • 1,537 Posts
    • 17,044 Thanks
    villagelife
    Better day than Saturday thankfully.

1. Enjoyed my first coffee of the day. I sat listening to music while drinking it.

2. Went to MIL house with DH and with help of DS1 We did 4 tip runs
    I also sorted through more ohotos. Found a few good ones which I will send to people when we remember to bring them hime!

3. DS1 has boxed up all his ex girlfriend stuff up and is returning it all in Wednesday. That will be the end of the matter hopefully.

4. Went to Wisley and had a walk round in the rain. The trees were looking lovely. Had a coffee and shared a sandwich and cake with DH.

5. Home and had peaceful evening reading and watching some tv and chatting with DH with a glass of wine.
    • LaineyT
    • By LaineyT 15th Oct 18, 8:27 AM
    • 2,544 Posts
    • 31,930 Thanks
    LaineyT
    Sunday pleasures,

Up early with little dog, we scared a family of partridges as we went around the field and then home to get the brisket in the slow cooker.

Bacon butties and catching up on all things Ambridge, then downloaded the news quiz with Jo Brand, very funny.

A flock of starlings arrived in the field and quickly found the windfall apples under the tree, not sure why they are called a murmeration as flipping noisy!

It rained, all day, so not much in the way of motivation to leave the house, read a lot, caught up on tv and generally lazed around.

The beef was lovely and much enjoyed with mash & veg.

A second, soggy dog walk of the day then curtains closed, lamps on and candles lit.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,645Posts Today

6,991Users online

Martin's Twitter