Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • DundeeDoll
    • By DundeeDoll 18th Jul 17, 11:34 AM
    • 3,353Posts
    • 37,985Thanks
    DundeeDoll
    5 OS pleasures in your day today - part 3
    • 18th Jul 17, 11:34 AM
    5 OS pleasures in your day today - part 3 18th Jul 17 at 11:34 AM
    Ok I'm diving in as I've noticed several of us have lost posts we thought had posted, and there now seems to be a serious risk of losing the whole thread. So thanks for the heads up Karcher. (and i sympathise Frith - i too like to nip back)

I've revisited the first thread of our part 2, posted 28th October 2009. It said:
    Time for a shiny new thread The old one had got to 4500 odd posts which amounts to 22,500 OS pleasures (at least) It's so good to know that the OS life can be so rewarding.

I'll kick off the new thread.

1) Homemade bread and marmalade for breakfast.

2) A walk over the Malvern Hills to blow away the cobwebs.

3) Drying the washing outside- still, in October.

4) Watching mydaughter making a game out of sweeping the leaves with her friends.

5) The prospect of collecting a big order of meat from the butcher this morning and having my freezer full for less.
    Originally posted by thriftlady
    Part 2 went on considerably longer so many many more pleasures. And of course life stories shared, support given, tears of sorrow and joy shed. Part 2 I shall miss you, but here's to part 3.
    Last edited by DundeeDoll; 18-07-2017 at 11:40 AM.
Page 206
    • MandM90
    • By MandM90 13th Sep 18, 10:05 AM
    • 1,485 Posts
    • 7,889 Thanks
    MandM90
    1. Back from Spain. Managed to get a bit of colour. Hotel was very posh, food was fab, and lovely by the beach. Ate out in small villages so avoided all the Brits Abroad...ha!
    2. Last night I paid for the man in front's shopping at Lidl. He was a few pence and going to put some potato waffles back (he only had 5 items!) so I quietly insisted on paying the whole thing as I didn't have cash to give him 20p. Gave me the warm fuzzies as he was so grateful.
    3. My shopping only came to £40.10.
    4. DD sits the 11+ (secondary school entrance exam) today. She is cool as a cucumber, which is good. She knows whatever happens I'm proud, and she'll go to a fab school (even if we have to pay for it). When I was at school I was in 'Gifted and Talented' and took my SATs a level up from everyone else in the year. Then, on the 11+ I passed but got a pretty middle-of-the-road score. My parents lied to their friends about it and I felt like a massive disappointment despite getting into grammar school. We're going to make sure DD feels loved, clever and important whatever the outcome. Tonight I have promised Chinese takeaway to celebrate getting it out of the way. A place near us does veggie 'duck' pancakes. Yummo.
    5. My tyre blew last night as I pulled up from Lidl on way back from airport. This is a good thing because a) it didn't happen on the 1.5hr drive back from Gatwick and b) I'm blessed enough to have the money to cover 4 top quality tyres which mean I can drive to France in the winter without changing them. Thanks YNAB!
    6. I work at a place that's nice enough to let me stay home when stuff like this happens so I don't have to worry about taxis/buses to work
    7. The plumber is here installing a toilet/sink combo downstairs. He is removing the yicky sink in the utility room and hopefully will also pop in the towel rail and toiler roll holder. I have a cheap mirror from IKEA to put up. Hopefully by tonight it'll look super fancy and I won't have to tell guests to nip round the wall into the utility room to wash their hands after a wee
    I'm a Board Guide on the Marriages & Family,
    Old Style, Mortgage Free Wannabe, Green & Ethical
    boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge threads there. Any views are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com. Board guides are not moderators. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
    • Blackbeard of Perranporth
    • By Blackbeard of Perranporth 13th Sep 18, 1:17 PM
    • 5,549 Posts
    • 32,790 Thanks
    Blackbeard of Perranporth
    BoP Tour Live ..,
    Big Apple. Concert tonight at Radio City.

Breakfast awaits.

More later
    Cardiac Arrest - Electrical - Patient unconscious! Heart Attack - Plumbing - Patient conscious!
    Defibrillators Cannot Cure a Heart Attack!
    • MandM90
    • By MandM90 13th Sep 18, 1:25 PM
    • 1,485 Posts
    • 7,889 Thanks
    MandM90
    Woohoo travelling BoP - hope you sailed into Ellis Island atop a ship!?!

Another pleasure - have my washing hanging outside, and still no heating on!!
    I'm a Board Guide on the Marriages & Family,
    Old Style, Mortgage Free Wannabe, Green & Ethical
    boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge threads there. Any views are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com. Board guides are not moderators. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
    • By Blackbeard of Perranporth 13th Sep 18, 8:14 PM
    • 5,549 Posts
    • 32,790 Thanks
    BoP Tour Live ...
    OíBriens. 46th Street. Wobbleade is purchased. Curry being served.

Coney Island done. Boardwalk. Done.

Getting ready for Radio City.

More later.
    Cardiac Arrest - Electrical - Patient unconscious! Heart Attack - Plumbing - Patient conscious!
    • marmiterulesok
    • By marmiterulesok 13th Sep 18, 8:37 PM
    • 7,794 Posts
    • 35,442 Thanks
    marmiterulesok
    For today:
    -vet's visit with kitty went well.
    -a friend took me to the vet's instead of me having to get a taxi.
    -we had coffee and hm cake afterwards.
    -decluttered quite a lot of clothes.
    -it rained today (we need some rain).
    -relaxing evening
    NSD October 19/22
    Budgeting again in earnest,no excuses
    'Keep plodding,one day at a time'
    Savings: 911/2500chf
    • lifeintheslowlane
    • By lifeintheslowlane 13th Sep 18, 9:32 PM
    • 7 Posts
    • 90 Thanks
    lifeintheslowlane
    My pleasures for today:
    1) A walk along the canal. Fresh air always perks me up, without fail.
    2) Blackberry picking.
    3) Working on my crochet, listening to Radio 4.
    4) I whizz up the last half of a definitely-past-it's-best pineapple and a lonely, overripe banana then freeze the resulting puree in two portions. Fruity muffins will be an easy bake next week.
    5) The sound of DH's key in the door, after a long day.

Just to add, this is such a lovely thread - I find it very cheering!
    • Mrs Salad Dodger
    • By Mrs Salad Dodger 13th Sep 18, 9:58 PM
    • 1,215 Posts
    • 13,874 Thanks
    Mrs Salad Dodger
    Thursday pleasures

Reading BoPís posts - short & sweet & informative but calling to mind my travels over the years to various places in the USA. Thanks BoP

Reading no 2. of MandM90ís post - what a kind thing to do

The sun was shining & it was warm

Saw the single swan, Canada geese, coots, mallards & the crested grebes are nesting - again - with 3 youngsters making a nuisance of themselves

Also got interviewed by 3 very pleasant young ladies - environmental studies - as all 3 are studying to be geography teachers. We parted company - all of us smiling

Elderly lady thanked me for litter picking - more smiles from me as it is nice to be appreciated

Sm wasnít busy - more smiles & didnít have to queue at checkout - even more smiles.

Smiling anyway because the sun is shining

DH & DSis have gone on a Tip run - so more stuff gone

My dear friend phoned - she has been keeping busy making funeral arrangements for her mumís burial in Jamaica. Also gave her an ear to vent her displeasure at some family in-laws who havenít even offered condolences

Veal escalope in herby breadcrumbs with boiled potatoes & green beans - yummy

Fox enjoyed his Cheddar

MrsSD
    • mhagster
    • By mhagster 13th Sep 18, 10:29 PM
    • 3,100 Posts
    • 36,339 Thanks
    mhagster
    Hello. Pleasures for past 3 days (misplaced iPad cable meant it's been uncharged)

Doggy walks
    Bramble picking .
    Kitchen looking more kitcheny ( but also much stress but will concentrate on pleasures)
    Friends.
    GN reading to us tonight.
    • Frith
    • By Frith 13th Sep 18, 10:36 PM
    • 4,779 Posts
    • 45,236 Thanks
    Frith
    Pleasures for today (Thursday).

1) Not a bad sleep.

2) Took smaller son to school and he had another good day, including a history trip to the property they are studying for paper 3.

3) Hens well and I spent about an hour with them this morning so they could have a good stretch round the allotment.

4) Painted the bathroom - ceiling and walls. The walls will need another coat. Also painted the few scuffs on the landing/stair walls.

5) Had a cheese and pickle sandwich for lunch (with some slices of avocado). Can't remember the last time I made that!

6) Posted another Ebay sale.

7) Exciting evening at the rugby ground where bigger son had his NCS graduation!

8) Still got a terrible cold so am in bed now with a cup of tea and a hot water bottle.
    Verschlimmbesserung
    • house elf
    • By house elf 14th Sep 18, 6:05 AM
    • 848 Posts
    • 11,213 Thanks
    house elf
    Good Morning,

Thursday

1. Keeping my group busy all day.......we are building a fence. This is a team building project, and they are working together very well so far......

2. Nice chats with colleagues. (Feel a bit isolated now I have moved departments).

3. Big bags of apples from friends, to take into school for catering group to make apple crumble.

4. Thinking about holidays.

5. Easy tea from freezer.

Happy Friday
    Synchro Mums - 'Changing the world one sequin at a time' Lady GaGa
    'We have more in common than that which divides us.' Jo Cox
    • Olliebeak1951
    • By Olliebeak1951 14th Sep 18, 7:12 AM
    • 362 Posts
    • 3,288 Thanks
    Olliebeak1951
    5 Blessings for yesterday -

1. Another good night's sleep - could get used to this !
    2. Back to DD's for second day of supervising DGS1 - once again, he was brilliant until late afternoon. I think he begins to 'play me up' when his younger sister (DGD2 age 10) is due to arrive home from school . So he's brilliant when he's on a 'one-to-one' but no good when it comes to 'sharing attention' - hmmm ! DD had a good day on College Course - spent hours learning about 'weeding', and arrived back home shattered. DGD2 took a mild Asthma Attack just as I was leaving - got a phone call at 2.30am to say that DD had taken her to hospital for a session on the nebuliser - waiting for an update now .
    3. Omelet with sauteed mushrooms and ham (defrosted from freezer) for evening meal last night.
    4. No plans for the evening, so was able to sit and relax with my soaps 'as they happened' without having to resort to 'catch-up'.
    5. In bed early last night for a read of my Kindle - no snooze during the day, so dropped off very quickly.
    Last edited by Olliebeak1951; 15-09-2018 at 10:05 AM.
    • Arianna77
    • By Arianna77 14th Sep 18, 7:31 AM
    • 3 Posts
    • 16 Thanks
    Arianna77
    Warm, sunny day.
    Friday
    Homing day
    • LaineyT
    • By LaineyT 14th Sep 18, 8:31 AM
    • 2,499 Posts
    • 31,315 Thanks
    LaineyT
    Thursday pleasures,

Out and about early in the cold, morning sunshine.

My lovely friend came with her mobile dog grooming van to beautify little dog, all was well with no meltdown over the hairdryer.

Working princess pony in the afternoon, lots of pole work and she did good with no meltdowns.

DB came for his tea, beef with beer in the SC followed by choc and cranberry bread & butter pudding, all eaten and enjoyed.

The new moon bright in a clear, starry sky.
    • villagelife
    • By villagelife 14th Sep 18, 8:32 AM
    • 1,521 Posts
    • 16,895 Thanks
    villagelife
    1. A colleague has a new job. She will be leaving in a couple of months. I'm pleased she was given the job she really needed to leave and will be much happier somewhere else.

2. Chat with someone from another department at work. Good talking to more people.

3. Arranged to meet up with friends soon.

4. Had lasagne for tea which was already cooking when DH suggested going out for an Indian so more money saved.

5. DS2 went to rugby training and arrived home in one piece with no injuries.
    • By Blackbeard of Perranporth 14th Sep 18, 12:31 PM
    • 5,549 Posts
    • 32,790 Thanks
    BoP Tour Live
    We did Ellis and Lady last year.

Saw Ringo and his band last night. Very good for a pub singer. Now doing ... more later.
    • By Blackbeard of Perranporth 14th Sep 18, 4:19 PM
    • 5,549 Posts
    • 32,790 Thanks
    BoP Tour Live ...
    Gone through Wall Street subway to Clarke Street. At some bridge in Brooklyn. Breakfast had to be two eggs flipped in New York. More later.
    • By Blackbeard of Perranporth 14th Sep 18, 6:24 PM
    • 5,549 Posts
    • 32,790 Thanks
    BoP Tour Live ...
    Paradise found. Inn Henry Street Ale House. Brooklyn. They have Belhaven. Evínin All!
    • DundeeDoll
    • By DundeeDoll 14th Sep 18, 8:56 PM
    • 3,353 Posts
    • 37,985 Thanks
    DundeeDoll
    hope all well olliebeak
    hugs to those with snuffles
    1) out in the park 7 - 8 12kg kettle bells. tough but defo felt good after
    2) porridge for breakfast. new microwave at work hooray
    3) lovely day with my new class. they are so enthusiastic and motivated. absolute delight
    4) town in gridlock with new V&A opening. nice bus driver let me off in between stops cos we weren't going nowhere fast!
    5) after a bevvie with friend from life sciences home, supper, walked dogs at at 8pm i is gong to bed!
    For 2018 be kind, be courageous, and never ever eat pears
    • Olliebeak1951
    • By Olliebeak1951 14th Sep 18, 10:03 PM
    • 362 Posts
    • 3,288 Thanks
    Olliebeak1951
    Thank you, DundeeDoll .

DGD2 has been kept in hospital all day today and again overnight tonight. Nebuliser was for 20mins every hour; she's now back onto her regular inhaler for 10 puffs every 5 hours. She should have been going to stay at her Dad's overnight tonight, so he's paid a visit to the hospital instead .................. I'm sure she'll have been 'playing him like a fiddle' and making the most of being 'Daddy's Little ' . The Dr will see her again tomorrow morning and we'll find out if she can come back home.
    • marmiterulesok
    • By marmiterulesok 14th Sep 18, 10:37 PM
    • 7,794 Posts
    • 35,442 Thanks
    marmiterulesok
    For today:
    -it's Friday!
    -slept badly but dozed on the sofa this morning.
    -cheese and tomato sandwich for tea.
    -nice chat on the phone with my folks.
    -bed made up with fresh sheets.
    NSD October 19/22
    Budgeting again in earnest,no excuses
    'Keep plodding,one day at a time'
    Savings: 911/2500chf
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,128Posts Today

8,924Users online

Martin's Twitter