Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • DundeeDoll
    • By DundeeDoll 18th Jul 17, 11:34 AM
    • 3,306Posts
    • 37,261Thanks
    DundeeDoll
    5 OS pleasures in your day today - part 3
    • 18th Jul 17, 11:34 AM
    5 OS pleasures in your day today - part 3 18th Jul 17 at 11:34 AM
    Ok I'm diving in as I've noticed several of us have lost posts we thought had posted, and there now seems to be a serious risk of losing the whole thread. So thanks for the heads up Karcher. (and i sympathise Frith - i too like to nip back)

I've revisited the first thread of our part 2, posted 28th October 2009. It said:
    Time for a shiny new thread The old one had got to 4500 odd posts which amounts to 22,500 OS pleasures (at least) It's so good to know that the OS life can be so rewarding.

I'll kick off the new thread.

1) Homemade bread and marmalade for breakfast.

2) A walk over the Malvern Hills to blow away the cobwebs.

3) Drying the washing outside- still, in October.

4) Watching mydaughter making a game out of sweeping the leaves with her friends.

5) The prospect of collecting a big order of meat from the butcher this morning and having my freezer full for less.
    Originally posted by thriftlady
    Part 2 went on considerably longer so many many more pleasures. And of course life stories shared, support given, tears of sorrow and joy shed. Part 2 I shall miss you, but here's to part 3.
    Last edited by DundeeDoll; 18-07-2017 at 11:40 AM.
Page 189
    • LaineyT
    • By LaineyT 9th Aug 18, 8:56 AM
    • 2,461 Posts
    • 30,801 Thanks
    LaineyT
    Ha, I too remember Camp Granada HC and now have an ear worm!

Wednesday pleasures,

Cooler with a lovely breeze, caught up with lots of jobs both in the house and in the garden. Windows wide open and felt like had changed the air in the house iyswim.

Big batch of pomodoro sauce made with tomato glut.

Rode Lulu, just an amble around but good to be back on after the hot weather prohibited much work.

Met DB and DN over home village for some family chores. Afterwards we met up at the local pub and sat outside having a beer, reminiscing over our childhood.

Sharing a Twirl with Capt S on the way home, weird to be driving in the dark.
    • house elf
    • By house elf 9th Aug 18, 10:17 AM
    • 829 Posts
    • 10,988 Thanks
    house elf
    Hello from Boston USA!

There have been many pleasures in the last few days, but Boston is not MSE. We have found some OSP though........

1. The Heritage Trail. We have walked miles following the sites, and the history of Paul Revere and his Midnight Ride. Boston is very pretty.

2. Our Airbnb and our lovely hosts.

3. Fox News.

4. Sharing meals, cos the portion sizes are huge!

5. The Italian coffee and Gelato shop down the street, which has amazing cappuccino and delicious ice cream flavours. (Two suggestions for you to try Mhags Hazlenut and Maple Walnut). The decor is old ornate cappuccino machines and old Italian photos, and they play Dean Martin and Sinatra on the radio.

Will be home soon, and back to reality.

Have a lovely day
    Synchro Mums - 'Changing the world one sequin at a time' Lady GaGa
    'We have more in common than that which divides us.' Jo Cox
    • Blackbeard of Perranporth
    • By Blackbeard of Perranporth 9th Aug 18, 12:03 PM
    • 5,462 Posts
    • 32,381 Thanks
    Blackbeard of Perranporth
    Watching the High Tide!
    Imagine if you woke up 100 years ago, and read the news of the day?

V Off to the quack again today. Well after Tuesdayís saga, this one better work. Jenny is being retuned! Again, usual rules. Hurts them if they Ö

4 LW. Had new style roulette last night. Proper Bitsers from the refrigerator, chopped mushrooms and peppers, with toe nail onions. Tossed into pan, then added some Canadian prawns, not the farmed ones flown halfway around the world with the African small corns things either! Added some garlic and chilli. New, added some Black Has Bean Sauce. Nice, served with salad. Proper food and good for you! You cannot get this as No6 in the Cantonese restaurant! No has Jimmy the Cook bothered either. Nor on the cooking channel either!

3 Now where was BoP! Oh, proper foods again! And today in BoPís are sour grapes, blue berries, mini peelers, or tangerines as they are properly called. And two lime cakes of Jaffa!

2 Day, or if you did awake 100 years ago and read again over breakfast. The news was greeted the same as that of the Somme two years earlier! Yet this was different, today was not the same! Whatever you would have eaten for breakfast, surely this time was the end. We tried at the Somme, but were unable to have mustered all that was required, and seriously cut short because the French were entrenched at Verdon. Blow me, you forgot again about Verdon!

Now the tide had turned, the AEF had joined in, late! They had limited success on the salient during the Battle of Soissons. Yet on their first break through, the Germans had laid many a booby trap in their wake!

But for now, the battle was not over, the third wave did not get its success. Though the long hard slog until October had begun! The German Spring offensive of 1918 that nearly defeated the allies in the April was a distant past.

The lessons learned late in the Battle of the Somme, came good? Yet we forget these days about the Haig Fund. But a black day for Erich. Afterwards, his spring offensive so near, now he knew that defeat was to come! But the 100 Days Adventure had begun, it was to end in October. Of course, without the AEF involvement, the interlude in the Prussian Liberation of Paris, 1870, 1914 and 1940 would have ended quite differently in 1914. European Civil War, 1870 to 1945. Stephen Ambrose. I am still reading about this and the WWII. Certainly changes my opinion of both!

Note to watchers of BoP. Aircrew were entitled to two rashers and an egg in they had been on active duty in WWII! The adage was, can I have yours if! Other events of 9 August were also to shorten the war and Ö

That news, it was the first reports of the Battle of Amiens! I tried to watch the BBC version yesterday, and it forgot the Somme and Verdon. Yet the advert for casualty caused me to choke, does that carp have to have such carnage to exceed normality. I doubt very much that an ambulance will do a triple salko and a backflip! Melodramatic or bullshine! Avoid!

Having one today. Lets hope that they have the right kit today!

If you go to South Ferry in NYC, you can see the tablets of those who fell. And the bowed eagle, looking towards The Lady!

Washed out by the tide!
    Cardiac Arrest - Electrical - Patient unconscious! Heart Attack - Plumbing - Patient conscious!
    Defibrillators Cannot Cure a Heart Attack!
    • MandM90
    • By MandM90 9th Aug 18, 3:49 PM
    • 1,457 Posts
    • 7,651 Thanks
    MandM90
    1. Holibobs on Saturday! 6 days in Kilkenny then two in Dublin. Trad music, Shakespeare, Guinness, lovely food, time with my gorgeous husband and lovely in laws, as well as my Nanny (whose putting us all up). Feels naughty as we only got back from 2.5 weeks in France a few weeks ago...
    2. Ordered a Morrisons order to come the day after we get back, which - alongside the mealplan - will see us through to the end of the month.
    3. DH and I are working from home together tomorrow, and going to CrossFit at lunch. It's lovely to have him home now it's more of a rarity.
    4. Had a weird X-rated dream about a coworker who is a good friend and about 30 years older than me. Described it to DH in detail as I drove to work and we were in fits of giggles. What is wrong with my mind!?
    5. Having the budget in order again has put me off overspending and I've managed to avoid putting any of my hard earned cash towards food at work.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Marriages & Family,
    Old Style, Mortgage Free Wannabe, Green & Ethical
    boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge threads there. Any views are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com. Board guides are not moderators. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
    • MrsLurcherwalker
    • By MrsLurcherwalker 9th Aug 18, 4:45 PM
    • 12,706 Posts
    • 175,876 Thanks
    MrsLurcherwalker
    1) I have packed the good dinner service.

2) I have packed all the spare bedding from the airing cupboard, leaving 2 x sets including the one we're using now to see us through to moving day.

3) My kitchen cupboards are almost cleared, the food ones still to go but most of the equipment is safely packed and stacked in the lounge.

4) We have freecycled and re-homed some fitted 'Billy Bookcases' that our buyer didn't want and the lounge looks enormous without them on the wall.

5) Reading through the brochure of the new house, looking at the photographs and planning just where things are going to go in each room, priceless!
    Thumpers mum was right - if you can't find anything nice to say don't say anything at all!
    • DundeeDoll
    • By DundeeDoll 9th Aug 18, 5:09 PM
    • 3,306 Posts
    • 37,261 Thanks
    DundeeDoll
    Not sure where today has gone! for yesterday
    1) survived another gruelling work out of burpees and lunges
    2) nice porridge, nice shower then meetings - 6 on the trot!
    3) middle one was cancelled so managed to eat my lo pizza and hm salad in peace
    4) then picked up from work to go to Crannog - group from Dundee meeting group from Glasgow. Worked out well
    5) and home to my boys and the archers
    For 2018 be kind, be courageous, and never ever eat pears
    • Purple kitten
    • By Purple kitten 9th Aug 18, 9:12 PM
    • 1,907 Posts
    • 21,089 Thanks
    Purple kitten
    1 Lidl for bits and bobs, I purchased one or 2 extra long-life items for the store cupboard came to £20, the cupboard had worked well for us.
    2 Iíve seen a great role, wrote up bits and bobs last night and applied.
    3 Iím going to list this as a pleasure but safe to say it hasnít been all day, after my asking! a date is being proposed of sale of next Friday, which leaves us clearing from tomorrow and every day until next Thursday. After I got of the initial shock, I decided to get on with it.
    4 Cleaned Ė A lot - to work through the above, I topped and tailed the caravan, it needed doing and now itís done, it did take about 4 hours.
    5 Made toad in the hole for dinner.
    • mhagster
    • By mhagster 9th Aug 18, 9:42 PM
    • 3,073 Posts
    • 35,987 Thanks
    mhagster
    A day of much busy-ness.

So now we don't really have a back garden that the dog can have a quick wee first thing...suggested he went out the front door this morning which was met with a look of disdain and a wing and a prayer from me that there were no other dogs! There were none.

Quick dog walk pre builders arriving then longer once they were here.

Made a pot of rhubarb and ginger jam. Tis very nice.

Went into town . Had a nice cheese scone. Nipped into cheaper charity shop. Got a lovely woollen checked laura Ashley pinafore style dress. A gilet. And a pair of trousers for DD2 all for a fiver.

Had parked away up at college so had to hike all the way back up hill but it saved a parking ticket. Nipped into pound shops final day and 15 things for £1 ...spent £3. Got 15 things for food bank. And more Christmas, Halloween and Easter.

Home and straight back out with dog for a walk. Met his girlfriends mummy(no girlfriend) and he was made much fuss of. Then down to friends with puppy and handed in our Halloween purchases for them!

Walk back through field. The colours are much more muted than they were a few weeks ago. The vibrancy has gone. The hedge cutter tractor was there and noisy.

May have had a tiny snooze.

Son dropped DD and I off at dentist in town for her appointment and then we took bus to Glasgow.

Went to see an author / favourite blogger at a book signing. Most enjoyable. Bus home with about a minute to spare.

And home!
    • DundeeDoll
    • By DundeeDoll 9th Aug 18, 10:15 PM
    • 3,306 Posts
    • 37,261 Thanks
    DundeeDoll
    next friday pk good luck with the clearing :-)
    1) meeting with very nice new phd student. she is a pleasure
    2) last of the pizza for lunch and hm salad yum
    3) coffee with colleague relating to new job. i had a one shot latte cos i am a coffee wus
    4) finished on time, talked to dad on the way home, put on supper, walked dogs, wolfed down supper then...
    5) good sunday school planning meeting. usually i work through and go straight there from work - did me good to have to do dogs so have some supper before going out!
    • Frith
    • By Frith 9th Aug 18, 11:37 PM
    • 4,731 Posts
    • 44,749 Thanks
    Frith
    Pleasures for today (Thursday).

1) Not a bad sleep.

2) Nice tomatoes for breakfast (with an avocado) that I baked in the oven yesterday.

3) Used my new sander again to smooth down all the bits around the house that I had polyfill-ed.

4) Made such a mess sanding in sons' room that I decided to bite the bullet and clean it from top to bottom and change the beds. Moved on from that to tidy up generally, do 2 loads of washing and clean the bathroom. And cleaned the car out!

5) Hens well and 4 eggs. I cleaned their sleeping quarters out too.

6) Picked a large bowl of blackberries so some more for the freezer and made jam that I can enter in the village show next Saturday.

7) Went to watch the Greatest Showman at tiny cinema - it's the annual free event (it was Casablanca last year). Smaller son really enjoyed it but I'm not really a fan of films where people suddenly burst into song.

8) Another phone call from bigger son demanding to be picked up. He hung up on me when I said no (he's coming home from NCS tomorrow anyway). I phoned again later and asked why he keeps phoning to come home at the same time each evening. It transpires that after tea they insist everyone takes part in some sort of singing/talent show. It sounds like my worst nightmare! Bigger son said tonight he had to get almost nasty with them and tell them he wasn't taking part, never would and there was nothing they could do about it and he was retiring to his tent.

9) In bed now and shall watch iplayer for a while.
    Verschlimmbesserung
    • villagelife
    • By villagelife 10th Aug 18, 7:12 AM
    • 1,516 Posts
    • 16,825 Thanks
    villagelife
    Still in holiday and not been posting.
    Both sons and my parents joined us for five days to celebrate our wedding anniversary in September - 30 years but actually came out for DH birthday.

1. Lots of eating and drinking and probably spent too much but great meals in a couple of lovely restauran ts.

2. Been very hot which I have loved more than most. A couple of nights it stated above 30 degrees.

3. Swimming both in the sea and in the pool.

4. Walking round French villages and towns which seem relaxed most of the time but the local city is really vibrant at the moment.

5. Been easier than usual to persuade DH not to be doing things that we need to spend money on. Hope this one continues.

6. Long talk with DS1. He has said that he doesn't need counselling but hopefully he will think about that one. He has made plans to see quite a few of his school and uni mates at the weekends and after meeting a couple of them they wanted to meet up again soon. His confidence at the moment is starting to return slowly. His laughter is less forced.
    He is still in contact with ex though and she has gone into 4 weeks residential care in a mental health unit.
    • LaineyT
    • By LaineyT 10th Aug 18, 8:15 AM
    • 2,461 Posts
    • 30,801 Thanks
    LaineyT
    Good luck with the packing PK
    Actually had a shudder go down my spine when you said about the singing/talent show Frith would literally be my worst nightmare and I too would retire to my tent!

Thursday pleasures,

It rained started off in a slow, gentle manner but then came down with real purpose, could literally hear the garden breathing a sigh of relief.

Watching a gang of sparrows having a communal bath in a puddle.

Ate bigger meal at lunchtime as busy in evening and then promptly fell asleep on the sofa.

My swamp monster of a pony who had obviously taken great delight in rolling in the wet grass, whoíd have a grey!

Friend round for drinks and nibbles, Capt S has known him for 30+ years as they started work together. It was his birthday the day before and was touchingly chuffed when I produced a cake, everyone should have a birthday cake.
    • Blackbeard of Perranporth
    • By Blackbeard of Perranporth 10th Aug 18, 12:06 PM
    • 5,462 Posts
    • 32,381 Thanks
    Blackbeard of Perranporth
    Ok, Whatís with it withs yous!
    V I knews. Well, yesterday was a washout at the cricket and BoPsie is so into it at her salt mine as well. Never mind, we watched the T20 later instead.

4 Jenny was not talking to the hospital yesterday and the consultant was called in. He was diplomatic to put it into a word. Jenny is fine and on full !!!!le for another year of jolting! BoP is ok!

3 Donít looks too good at the moment for the train to Warster this evening. Rain! So we wills stay inn and look after Raffles instead! Yesterday I saw him with neighbours grand kids, who he adores! OK, we pay his Veterinary bills as well! He left a field mouse for us. His fifth kill of the weak!

2 Day marks the anniversary of that Hawaiian invention, the electric guitar! Best played on Pretty Vacant of course! Not that you remember now!

Having one today. Bank just text BoP. Apparently I has no money, so please think of BoPsie and send her some wobbleade chits! Of curse I has no money! I has no money in the blank account cause they pay no interest! It is hidden under my bed in a chest!

You may have been given financial advice in this BoPiness column today. Please be aware that should you follow BoPís advice, the consequences may be dire! Avoid!

That is the mill done for this weak then!
    Cardiac Arrest - Electrical - Patient unconscious! Heart Attack - Plumbing - Patient conscious!
    Defibrillators Cannot Cure a Heart Attack!
    • MrsLurcherwalker
    • By MrsLurcherwalker 10th Aug 18, 12:54 PM
    • 12,706 Posts
    • 175,876 Thanks
    MrsLurcherwalker
    1) Poached eggs and avocado on toast for lunch, Oh my!

2) Rain, rain, rain, rain and nice and heavy too. A couple of real cloudbursts in the showers and the gutters in the road were awash, something I've been longing to see for ages.

3) The news that our buyer isn't moving in until mid September so there's no pressure on us to hurry out on moving day.

4) Greening lawns.

5) More and more packed boxes and less and less house to pack.
    Thumpers mum was right - if you can't find anything nice to say don't say anything at all!
    • Hopeless Case
    • By Hopeless Case 10th Aug 18, 3:46 PM
    • 848 Posts
    • 4,951 Thanks
    Hopeless Case
    Pleasures for today (Thursday).

1) Not a bad sleep.

2) Nice tomatoes for breakfast (with an avocado) that I baked in the oven yesterday.

3) Used my new sander again to smooth down all the bits around the house that I had polyfill-ed.

4) Made such a mess sanding in sons' room that I decided to bite the bullet and clean it from top to bottom and change the beds. Moved on from that to tidy up generally, do 2 loads of washing and clean the bathroom. And cleaned the car out!

5) Hens well and 4 eggs. I cleaned their sleeping quarters out too.

6) Picked a large bowl of blackberries so some more for the freez-+er and made jam that I can enter in the village show next Saturday.

7) Went to watch the Greatest Showman at tiny cinema - it's the annual free event (it was Casablanca last year). Smaller son really enjoyed it but I'm not really a fan of films where people suddenly burst into song.

8) Another phone call from bigger son demanding to be picked up. He hung up on me when I said no (he's coming home from NCS tomorrow anyway). I phoned again later and asked why he keeps phoning to come home at the same time each evening. It transpires that after tea they insist everyone takes part in some sort of singing/talent show. It sounds like my worst nightmare! Bigger son said tonight he had to get almost nasty with them and tell them he wasn't taking part, never would and there was nothing they could do about it and he was retiring to his tent.

9) In bed now and shall watch iplayer for a while.
    Originally posted by Frith
    Thats terrible, poor lad . I'm glad he managed to tell them he wasn't doing it but such a shame they weren't more receptive to his feelings earlier. It would be my worst nightmare too! People do have to be so careful that things which are meant to be fun or motivating turn into an ordeal when they are forced on kids.
    My daughter used to dread getting 100% attendance at high school as she found it a real ordeal having to go on stage in front of the school and be given a certificate, quite the opposite of the effect they were aiming for!
    Sept GC £90.29/£240 Oct £193.85/ £200
    NSD target: Aug 21/20, Sept 14/14 Oct 10/20
    Sept Bring Your Lunch to Work Target
    11/13 Oct 9/20
    £1 a day: Aug £60.88/£31
    Sept £32.42/£30 Oct £20.34/£31
    Tesco CC Aug 18 £10,151.56 £10050.56 0% 30mnths, First Direct CC Aug 18 £4321.80 £3980 0% til Feb 20
    • mhagster
    • By mhagster 10th Aug 18, 9:43 PM
    • 3,073 Posts
    • 35,987 Thanks
    mhagster
    Bedtime.

Another day of busy. (I'm hopeful for a quieter Saturday)

Hospital appointment first thing. Got parked . Got seen quickly.

Called in at skinny club on way back . 'Won' the basket of goodies by default.

Home and big dog walk with the big dog.

Then out again . Parked at supermarket to avoid parking ticket. Nice walk through park. DD had a GP appointment . Walk back through park, along riverside.

Went into charity shop. All things marked with a green cross £1...well, would be rude not to! I got 3 pairs of trousers/jeans DD got a jacket, gilet and skirt.

Ice cream shop...a couple more flavours on my fifty for fifty.

Home...silence but not for long! Niece & GN came. No garden to run around in with the dog. So out we went to our woods then another park. Lovely evening .
    • DundeeDoll
    • By DundeeDoll 10th Aug 18, 10:06 PM
    • 3,306 Posts
    • 37,261 Thanks
    DundeeDoll
    1) woke at 5:30am. colleague texted at 5:45 (how did she know?!) and asked if i wanted to go to bootcamp cos she and her gym buddy were going. signed up, went but trainer no show. not surprised as we did sign up very late! good to get up early
    2) back home got through masters supervision. my nose got cold! autumn is on its way
    3) then into city campus to meet vp. good meeting which ended with me seeing my new office. yay. i have the corner desk. will be noisier than my current office (which i keep cos i'll be splitting job .5 .5) but job won't need silence. great to have a base on city campus with a fridge and kettle yay
    4) lovely lunch with lovely colleague.
    5) after work pub (my fave way to end friday). now home and just finished hm penne arabiatta to which i added a 9p mr t tin of sardines. surprisingly tasty.
    off to bed now. have signed up for 9am boot camp. keen or what!
    • Frith
    • By Frith 10th Aug 18, 11:12 PM
    • 4,731 Posts
    • 44,749 Thanks
    Frith
    Pleasures for today (Friday).

1) Not a bad sleep.

2) Got various jobs done round the place including weeding round the slabs outside and doing the "mist" coat on my newly sanded mended bits of plaster here and there.

3) Went to town for new curtain line (is that what it's called?) to re-hang the curtains on smaller son's lower bunk bed.

4) Hens well and 4 eggs.

5) Picked up bigger son! He's even browner now but his hair (not quite as dark as mine) has been bleached by the sun so he looks like George Michael c 1987 :-D

He enjoyed the climbing and kayaking bits of NCS and has made 3 very good friends and they are already planning all the things they are going to do after NCS is over. He said they only did normal sized portions of food all week so at 6 foot 2 and only 10 stones, he was starving all the time. He's gone out now to see MrN's son5.

6) Fish and chips from the van for tea - large portion for wasting away boy.

7) Watched the Last Leg.
    Verschlimmbesserung
    • villagelife
    • By villagelife 11th Aug 18, 6:15 AM
    • 1,516 Posts
    • 16,825 Thanks
    villagelife
    Last full day of holiday

1. Hot and sunny.

2. Went to the beach and swam a couple of times in the sea.

3. Walked round a local market and didn't spend any money.

4. Met up with some friends for a cheap meal and some drinks.

5. A relaxing day.
    • LaineyT
    • By LaineyT 11th Aug 18, 7:49 AM
    • 2,461 Posts
    • 30,801 Thanks
    LaineyT
    Friday pleasures,

One load of washing dried before the rain came.

W8rose vouchers arrived in post, all for stuff we buy and will take £10 off next bill,

Eldest DSSís birthday so met for lunch , bangers and mash followed by the most delicious cheesecake I have ever tasted.

Listened to R4x Murder at the Vicarage, knew who dun it but good listening and played guess the actors voice.

Cloud cleared away and by the time took little dog out for last constitution the stars were out and distinct nip in the air, think you could be right DD
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

433Posts Today

4,799Users online

Martin's Twitter