Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • DundeeDoll
    • By DundeeDoll 18th Jul 17, 11:34 AM
    • 3,287Posts
    • 37,066Thanks
    DundeeDoll
    5 OS pleasures in your day today - part 3
    • 18th Jul 17, 11:34 AM
    5 OS pleasures in your day today - part 3 18th Jul 17 at 11:34 AM
    Ok I'm diving in as I've noticed several of us have lost posts we thought had posted, and there now seems to be a serious risk of losing the whole thread. So thanks for the heads up Karcher. (and i sympathise Frith - i too like to nip back)

I've revisited the first thread of our part 2, posted 28th October 2009. It said:
    Time for a shiny new thread The old one had got to 4500 odd posts which amounts to 22,500 OS pleasures (at least) It's so good to know that the OS life can be so rewarding.

I'll kick off the new thread.

1) Homemade bread and marmalade for breakfast.

2) A walk over the Malvern Hills to blow away the cobwebs.

3) Drying the washing outside- still, in October.

4) Watching mydaughter making a game out of sweeping the leaves with her friends.

5) The prospect of collecting a big order of meat from the butcher this morning and having my freezer full for less.
    Originally posted by thriftlady
    Part 2 went on considerably longer so many many more pleasures. And of course life stories shared, support given, tears of sorrow and joy shed. Part 2 I shall miss you, but here's to part 3.
    Last edited by DundeeDoll; 18-07-2017 at 11:40 AM.
Page 188
    • LaineyT
    • By LaineyT 7th Aug 18, 8:53 AM
    • 2,448 Posts
    • 30,616 Thanks
    LaineyT
    Welcome MrsYox and hey VickyA
    All luck wished Mhags, good idea to focus on end product.

Monday pleasures,

Watered early as another hot day forecasted, topped up bird bath and wildlife water.

Over to see girlie, gave her apples & cuddles but left her in the shade of her paddock, too hot for anything else.

Am enjoying FDís seedy pittas for lunch, stuffed full of salad and hummus they keep me full all afternoon.

Visited DSIL at home, talked and talked.

Early night and reading in bed.
    • VJsmum
    • By VJsmum 7th Aug 18, 10:03 AM
    • 5,339 Posts
    • 78,657 Thanks
    VJsmum
    Welcome back Mrs Yox (who were you before?) and VickyA.

Yesterday was a worky day that i spent alone but i'll try to find some pleasures

1. Online company making me feel not quite alone - via this site and FB
    2. Roofers here starting to put the roof back on
    3. Did a circuit by the sea in lovely warm sunshine
    4. watched who do you think you are>
    5. got lots of data sorted - it's mindless, mechanical stuff at the moment so i started binge watching Unforgotten. 3 episodes of series two to go and then i can start on series 3.

Just could not get to sleep last night - i did a fast day (though it is still 800 calories) and it seems that, when i do those, sleep eludes me. Not sure why - it didn't used to happen. it was 3.00 before i dropped off can't even blame OH's snoring as he wasn't here. DS was driving down the M1 after the football, but i knew he was back at 12.20 and still couldn't sleep....
    You're out with a friend in the capital, I'm a thousand leagues under the sea
    You're hovering worriedly over your eggs, And I'm pondering trees
    I'm wandering long, And I'm pondering trees
    For you and me
    Guy Garvey
    • MrsLurcherwalker
    • By MrsLurcherwalker 7th Aug 18, 10:34 AM
    • 12,686 Posts
    • 175,660 Thanks
    MrsLurcherwalker
    1) Managed to change my hairdressers appointment to one earlier in this month, the original was on the 29th which is moving day!

2) Bumped into my friend Theresa who is Maisie dog's mum in the hairdresser and we're walking early tomorrow before it gets too hot, 9 ish which is lovely.

3) Sorted out the boxes of packed things into areas for the new house, i.e all the kitchen stuff, the bedroom stuff etc. will make life easier at the other end if they can pack things by the room...we'll see!

4) Making a new recipe for supper from Hugh FW's 3 good things book tonight it's a pizza with a garlic bean base instead of tomato and topped with mozzarella and black olives, looks lovely and the beany puree which I made this morning tastes gorgeous.

5) He Who Knows, bless him he's always a pleasure but has got us a new laptop so I can stay in the warmth of the lounge in the colder weather and chat to all of you from my armchair instead of coming into a cooler study to use the big computer, he's a kind man and I love him for it!
    Thumpers mum was right - if you can't find anything nice to say don't say anything at all!
    • Blackbeard of Perranporth
    • By Blackbeard of Perranporth 7th Aug 18, 1:05 PM
    • 5,433 Posts
    • 32,271 Thanks
    Blackbeard of Perranporth
    Final Movements!
    I is on way to bum clinic. Back soon!

Usual rules. Just like cardiologist. No sedative. He straps my arm down, it stops me lunging at him.

MS LW. Careful when you venture away from recipes from BoP on proper foods!

My fourth one. Mum BoP had gone by now!
    Cardiac Arrest - Electrical - Patient unconscious! Heart Attack - Plumbing - Patient conscious!
    Coughing does not stop a Cardiac Arrest! Statins have not cured any electrical faults!
    • MrsLurcherwalker
    • By MrsLurcherwalker 7th Aug 18, 1:14 PM
    • 12,686 Posts
    • 175,660 Thanks
    MrsLurcherwalker
    BOP your recipes are fantastic and make my mouth water just reading those words 'proper grub'! some of them will still be ours but I like beans and veg too, so some of the recipes will be mine too!
    Thumpers mum was right - if you can't find anything nice to say don't say anything at all!
    • Purple kitten
    • By Purple kitten 7th Aug 18, 6:44 PM
    • 1,906 Posts
    • 21,089 Thanks
    Purple kitten
    1 DH has upcycled a jam jar and old spice bottle into citronella burners and they are very effective.
    2 Iím food planning on the fly this week and Iím pleased that healthy eating has become part and parcel now.
    3 Tonightís food is a pasta bake not sure itís healthy with the carbs however it is packed with fresh veg.
    4 Chit chatting with DB.
    5 Cleaned out our display case a nightmare to clean, but it does look better than putting things in the dust marks where the bits and bobs where.
    6 Took a half hour and sat in the garden with music and a book.
    • DundeeDoll
    • By DundeeDoll 7th Aug 18, 8:39 PM
    • 3,287 Posts
    • 37,066 Thanks
    DundeeDoll
    1) meeting with the principal. got there very early. felt like naughty school girl sitting outside the office
    2) he was lovely. had a great chat about my new role
    3) gbf and dd1 in town so joined them for afternoon tea
    4) then gbf gave me a lift home and we walked the boys. autumn is in the air
    5) couple hours work at home then just as i was thinking about supper dd1 arrives home and suggests going halves on two for. not totally mse i know but yummy :P
    For 2018 be kind, be courageous, and never ever eat pears
    • mhagster
    • By mhagster 7th Aug 18, 10:19 PM
    • 3,066 Posts
    • 35,908 Thanks
    mhagster
    Autumn is definately in the air DD...not sure if I'm ready!

Busy day.

Dog walks.

Holes dug! Waaaah! Digger, skips, wheelbarrows, radio blaring...see ya! I'm off to Glasgow on the bus. Met Melbourne friend had a very nice afternoon tea. Her treat. I'm so lucky that people feed me! Just caught bus with seconds to spare.

Home . Huge hole & a digger still in garden & a skip full of soil.

Out for supper at friend. Who has a lovely cosy cottage. Chicken & roast potatoes & roasted veg. Berries for pudding. Lovely .

Then she had given us her dog beds that her dog didn't use at all , we passed them on to friends dogs...they loved them!

In my bed. It's been a busy day !
    • Frith
    • By Frith 7th Aug 18, 11:43 PM
    • 4,714 Posts
    • 44,613 Thanks
    Frith
    Pleasures for today (Tuesday).

1) Slightly cooler tonight after another ridiculously hot day - 30 degrees but felt warmer. No rain to speak of for 2 months now...

2) Not a bad sleep.

3) Hens OK and 4 eggs. I feel a bit sad I have been spending less time with them than I did with the old hens, but it is too hot down there! I picked some blackberries around the allotment and they enjoyed those.

4) Went to see my sister and niece for a cup of tea this afternoon. My brother in law is away for 5 (I think) days on a trip and my sister is finding the days rather long. The heat isn't helping.

5) Rigged up my new sander to the hoover and sanded the beams in the kitchen. I am not sure I have ever been so hot - it went past the point that I noticed and my clothes were saturated by the end! I think I did about 1.5 hours, standing on a chair.

6) Took smaller son to watch his football team (a home match) and it was 0-0.

7) Managed to get bigger son on the phone for about 15 seconds and NCS is "quite cool" (for that - read totally amazing, stunning and life changing!) and he went kayaking today. He got me off the phone as fast as he could so was obviously having a good evening!

8) Faffed around while smaller son was watching the football - went to B and Q for more ceiling paint (tomorrow's job), read a magazine in the car and went to Sainsburys.

Have left the kitchen knee deep in sand and bit of old beams but it can have one giant clean up after I've painted the ceiling tomorrow.
    Verschlimmbesserung
    • Mrs Salad Dodger
    • By Mrs Salad Dodger 7th Aug 18, 11:55 PM
    • 1,100 Posts
    • 12,741 Thanks
    Mrs Salad Dodger
    Tuesday pleasures

Hot, hot, hot

Not really a pleasure but DSis had her GI appointment at the hospital but didnít have the colonoscopy just a chat her Dr will not be pleased as she had booked an emergency appointment for DSis - the pleasure is I didnít actually shout at DSis

Feeding the squirrel on the decking - four feet away

Going out for dinner - the Chinese on a moored boat. Delicious & the doggy bag has enough for tomorrowís dinner

It rained heavily while we were eating but had stopped for the walk home

Reading your posts

MrsSD
    • Hopeless Case
    • By Hopeless Case 8th Aug 18, 8:17 AM
    • 832 Posts
    • 4,858 Thanks
    Hopeless Case
    Enjoyed the breeze which sprang up last night and the cooler night BUT also enjoyed weather presenter on local news talking about the possibility of the good weather lasting til October. Stifling and humid as it's been at times, I'm going to miss the sun soooo much!!

Kitchen full of blackberries and jam making about to commence - then to start picking new ones for my winter supply!

DD bought BHF top and is joining OH on park run - he was so pleased it warmed my heart (if you'll pardon the pun )

Garlic chives are flowering again after being eaten down to soil level by the piggy pug - such pretty white flowers - but I'll be careful to keep him away from them after being reminded about the dangers of alliums to dogs!

My dwarf sunflowers all have new flowers, the original flowers have been removed and the seeds stored for next year
    Sept GC £90.29/£240 Oct £167.1/ £200
    NSD target: Aug 21/20, Sept 14/14 Oct 7/20
    Sept Bring Your Lunch to Work Target
    11/13 Oct 7/20
    £1 a day: Aug £60.88/£31
    Sept £32.42/£30 Oct £1.72/£31
    Tesco CC Aug 18 £10,151.56 £10050.56 0% 30mnths, First Direct CC Aug 18 £4321.80 £4111.7 0% til Feb 20
    • LaineyT
    • By LaineyT 8th Aug 18, 8:46 AM
    • 2,448 Posts
    • 30,616 Thanks
    LaineyT
    Tuesday pleasures,

Trip out to the farm shop and picked up some cherries, nectarines and raspberries, fruit salad made.

Making my feelings known to a man who, even though the cafe toilets were just a 100 yards away, thought it was acceptable to have a pee in the hedge right in front of me with his much younger sidekick with him. Disgusting human being and thatís just what I called him

Driving through the local countryside and everywhere is golden, dust clouds from combines and straw stacks everywhere.

Hot, so hot and all I did with Lu is give her a cooling sponge down.

The smell of rain, around 8pm, we had a short cloudburst but that was it.
    • MandM90
    • By MandM90 8th Aug 18, 2:30 PM
    • 1,457 Posts
    • 7,651 Thanks
    MandM90
    Past few days...

1. On track to owe nothing to anyone by the time we are 33. Knocked £2.4k off the mortgage and £5k off my student loans.
    2. Caught up with YNAB (budgeting app) and realised next month I'll have £4k in my 'new' car fund. Trading mine in should get me betwen £2-4k so that's plenty for a decent wee car. Going from my silly expensive 4X4 to a little Yaris or Jazz should save £££.
    3. Did some furniture painting around the house (rocking chair snapped before I had finished)

4. DH is working away Mon-Thurs for the forseeable. I miss him but get SO much more done (see above!) AND as he's in a hotel there are no trains to London (saving circa £400 a month!) and he gets breakfast at the hotel and a £30 per diem for food, so grocery costs have plumetted.

5. Was given a bag of clothes to root through. Mum's boyfriends friend lost a load of weight (due to illness ) and went down to a size 8, but is now back to 12. She gave me three binbags - mostly of clothes STILL WITH TAGS ON - to look through. Am trying to keep minimal so I only rescued a pair of Zara trousers which will be lovely for work, then passed onto my sister to look through. The rest will go to charity.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Marriages & Family,
    Old Style, Mortgage Free Wannabe, Green & Ethical
    boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge threads there. Any views are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com. Board guides are not moderators. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
    • Blackbeard of Perranporth
    • By Blackbeard of Perranporth 8th Aug 18, 3:46 PM
    • 5,433 Posts
    • 32,271 Thanks
    Blackbeard of Perranporth
    A Change of ...
    Amazing change of clothes there MM! Chair looks good as well!

V No. Waste of time. They could not do BoP's bum yesterday as their kit did not have ICE connection on it! Waste. And I starved as well!

4 Good old BoPsie bought some wobbleade and a Fillet Steak. Properly sourced from the Angus cow! Mushrooms and Grilled toms. Tum was filled after being starved and rubbed.

3 Just bin out down road to bird camp at Bridge oi Slim. Trying the small camera and it does well!

2 Night will be watching the cricket!

Having one today, as I should have had one yesterday and will be having one tomorrow as well! So bum test cannot be done yet last time it was! Tomorrow is Jenny's annual tuning session!

And there we have all your BoP news today!
    Cardiac Arrest - Electrical - Patient unconscious! Heart Attack - Plumbing - Patient conscious!
    Coughing does not stop a Cardiac Arrest! Statins have not cured any electrical faults!
    • MrsLurcherwalker
    • By MrsLurcherwalker 8th Aug 18, 4:08 PM
    • 12,686 Posts
    • 175,660 Thanks
    MrsLurcherwalker
    1) Lovely early morning walkies with Maisie dog and her mum.

2) A cooler day, feeling human again.

3) Nice man in One Stop gave us some big boxes and some pretty strong crates which will be very useful.

4) Much stuff freecycled and all taken, just waiting for a couple of folks to get back to us for 'when'.

5) Put another load of things at the bottom of the drive saying 'free please take' and people have, many things gone and a few left but I have hopes...
    • mhagster
    • By mhagster 8th Aug 18, 7:55 PM
    • 3,066 Posts
    • 35,908 Thanks
    mhagster
    Hello. After a rainy day it turned into a nice late afternoon and evening. The washing was hung out in the building site and dried.

Had a monster headache for most of the day. Just the remnant left.

Made a chicken and veg pie for tea.

Nice doggy walks.

Chat with sister on phone .

Came home to a bag of rhubarb on my door step . From friend.

ETA : have shared the rhubarb love and took some round to a friend ...meeting another friend en-route so having 2 extra lovely chats! Then blethered so long it was dark when we walked home. Saw a fox.
    Last edited by mhagster; 08-08-2018 at 10:43 PM.
    • Mrs Salad Dodger
    • By Mrs Salad Dodger 8th Aug 18, 11:53 PM
    • 1,100 Posts
    • 12,741 Thanks
    Mrs Salad Dodger
    One forgotten pleasure from Tuesday & the rest today

DB phoned from Germany - very chatty & everyone is well. Two of his chicks were killed by the guests dog but he still has 22 chickens/chicks Younger DNeph (age 6) starts school next week with an open day this Saturday.

Rained overnight so a lot cooler today but did have some heat & sunshine as well as being very breezy

Watching DH work on the shed base

DSis went out for a walk so I managed to vacuum without disturbing her TV viewing

DH put up my whirligig so the 3 loads of washing all dried outside but did soften up the towels with 15 mins in the td

LO Chinese for dinner with the addition of a cup of rice with peas

Reading your posts

MrsSD
    • kimplus8
    • By kimplus8 8th Aug 18, 11:59 PM
    • 706 Posts
    • 2,162 Thanks
    kimplus8
    hung all my nappies out on the line to dry, the sun has bleached all the Terry to a lovely crisp white again- very satisfying!!!
    made chicken and veg pie for tea and batch made a wad of cheese sandwiches from reduced bread and cheese and shoved in the freezer ready for school lunches in a few weeks !
    Dave Ramsey and Martin Lewis are my Money Saving Heros.
    • Frith
    • By Frith 9th Aug 18, 12:09 AM
    • 4,714 Posts
    • 44,613 Thanks
    Frith
    Pleasures for today (Wednesday).

1) A lie in.

2) Hens OK and 4 eggs.

3) It rained for about half an hour this morning, not very heavy but better than nothing. Much cooler today - about 22 degrees.

4) Painted the new kitchen ceiling today. Each coat takes 2 hours as there are so many beams and annoying shelves and kitchen cupboard to work round. Did 2 coats and I think that will do now.

5) Had smaller son's favourite lunch - part baked rolls with chicken, salami, peppers, tomato etc.

6) Went to our lovely local cinema to watch Zoo.

7) Bigger son phoned (this is rare enough to be noteworthy) on the verge of tears asking me to pick him up from NCS. He said he was bored and it sounds like the evenings drag a bit (they're in a field in the Peak District). I had to say I couldn't possibly drive there this evening "in the dark", which isn't strictly true as it's only about 100 miles. I said I'd pick him up in the morning if he was still unhappy - obviously tomorrow I would point out that he only had 1 night to go!

Luckily he texted again later that he is fine now - phew!

They're staying at Staffs Uni next week which should be more comfortable being in a student flat than in a tent.

8) Just watched Holby City.
    Verschlimmbesserung
    • Hopeless Case
    • By Hopeless Case 9th Aug 18, 5:40 AM
    • 832 Posts
    • 4,858 Thanks
    Hopeless Case
    hung all my nappies out on the line to dry, the sun has bleached all the Terry to a lovely crisp white again- very satisfying!!!
    made chicken and veg pie for tea and batch made a wad of cheese sandwiches from reduced bread and cheese and shoved in the freezer ready for school lunches in a few weeks !
    Originally posted by kimplus8
    What a brilliant idea, money saved but also the time it'll save you next term

Pleasures for today (Wednesday).

1) A lie in.

2) Hens OK and 4 eggs.

3) It rained for about half an hour this morning, not very heavy but better than nothing. Much cooler today - about 22 degrees.

4) Painted the new kitchen ceiling today. Each coat takes 2 hours as there are so many beams and annoying shelves and kitchen cupboard to work round. Did 2 coats and I think that will do now.

5) Had smaller son's favourite lunch - part baked rolls with chicken, salami, peppers, tomato etc.

6) Went to our lovely local cinema to watch Zoo.

7) Bigger son phoned (this is rare enough to be noteworthy) on the verge of tears asking me to pick him up from NCS. He said he was bored and it sounds like the evenings drag a bit (they're in a field in the Peak District). I had to say I couldn't possibly drive there this evening "in the dark", which isn't strictly true as it's only about 100 miles. I said I'd pick him up in the morning if he was still unhappy - obviously tomorrow I would point out that he only had 1 night to go!

Luckily he texted again later that he is fine now - phew!

They're staying at Staffs Uni next week which should be more comfortable being in a student flat than in a tent.

8) Just watched Holby City.
    Originally posted by Frith
    Showing my age, but I've now got 'Camp Granada' in my head - bless him, I hope the rest of the trip is ok

My pleasures:

The rain - we could mainly hear it (and smell it) as our office looks out on trees which are taller than our window, but it sounded and smelled lovely, and I was thinking of my poor courgettes which have powderey milew, and how much they needed it!

There is a little path through the woods behind the office which is hardly used, but there were kids playing in it yesterday, love the sound of children playing

I made 5 jars of blackberry jam - hope it tastes as good as it looks!

The garlic chive flowering next to the dwarf sunflower makes me happy

Making plans to redo a bed in the front garden in the autumn
    Sept GC £90.29/£240 Oct £167.1/ £200
    NSD target: Aug 21/20, Sept 14/14 Oct 7/20
    Sept Bring Your Lunch to Work Target
    11/13 Oct 7/20
    £1 a day: Aug £60.88/£31
    Sept £32.42/£30 Oct £1.72/£31
    Tesco CC Aug 18 £10,151.56 £10050.56 0% 30mnths, First Direct CC Aug 18 £4321.80 £4111.7 0% til Feb 20
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

575Posts Today

5,975Users online

Martin's Twitter