Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • DundeeDoll
    • By DundeeDoll 18th Jul 17, 11:34 AM
    • 3,246Posts
    • 36,580Thanks
    DundeeDoll
    5 OS pleasures in your day today - part 3
    • 18th Jul 17, 11:34 AM
    5 OS pleasures in your day today - part 3 18th Jul 17 at 11:34 AM
    Ok I'm diving in as I've noticed several of us have lost posts we thought had posted, and there now seems to be a serious risk of losing the whole thread. So thanks for the heads up Karcher. (and i sympathise Frith - i too like to nip back)

I've revisited the first thread of our part 2, posted 28th October 2009. It said:
    Time for a shiny new thread The old one had got to 4500 odd posts which amounts to 22,500 OS pleasures (at least) It's so good to know that the OS life can be so rewarding.

I'll kick off the new thread.

1) Homemade bread and marmalade for breakfast.

2) A walk over the Malvern Hills to blow away the cobwebs.

3) Drying the washing outside- still, in October.

4) Watching mydaughter making a game out of sweeping the leaves with her friends.

5) The prospect of collecting a big order of meat from the butcher this morning and having my freezer full for less.
    Originally posted by thriftlady
    Part 2 went on considerably longer so many many more pleasures. And of course life stories shared, support given, tears of sorrow and joy shed. Part 2 I shall miss you, but here's to part 3.
    Last edited by DundeeDoll; 18-07-2017 at 11:40 AM.
Page 187
    • Hopeless Case
    • By Hopeless Case 5th Aug 18, 7:02 AM
    • 621 Posts
    • 3,483 Thanks
    Hopeless Case
    Aww lovely birthday treat for younger son Frith, but poor older son, horrible experience

Lovely day yesterday, lunch with parents and enjoyed looking at their veg garden - and the trees laden with apples and pears! Wonderful

Nice drink in the evening with daughter and son and son's (lovely) girlfriend

Listening to the magpie and the starlings having a very noisy showdown again on next door's roof, who needs the TV?!

Collected loads of herbs from the garden to put in the freezer for the winter, and the courgettes just keep on coming too!

More glorious sunshine, what a summer!
    June GC £218.09/ £300; July GC £259.17/ £250 ; August £130.47/£240
    Aug NSD target 6/20. Aug Bring Your Lunch to Work Target 5/11 Aug £1 a day £57.94/£31
    Cashback YTD £4.34- claims in for £38.91 untracked cashback. Tesco CC £8000 0% 30mnths, First Direct CC £4500 0% 18mnths
    • LaineyT
    • By LaineyT 5th Aug 18, 7:31 AM
    • 2,307 Posts
    • 28,815 Thanks
    LaineyT
    Saturday pleasures,

Went to watch DN play footie, under 18ís against the DONS and they won Pity he didnít travel with the first team to Port Vale as looks like they could have done with a solid central defender

Saw a Uís legend, Luke Chadwick, CL and PL medal winner with Man United and now looks after the under 16ís, putting back in is what itís all about.

Home to find cricket already finished so pottered in garden, even the lovely Monty says thereís not much to do but sit and drink wine, who am I to argue.

Text from DSIL and good news of her coming home from hospital, sheís had a rough old time lately so v pleased and relieved for her.

Time spent in sunshine with horse girlie, just a 15 min lunge as hot afternoon but she was a little star. Hard to imagine that this time last year she wasnít even on my radar and now sheís such a huge part of my life.

Slightly cooler evening and pleasant late night wander around the garden with little dog, stars bright in clear skies.
    • DundeeDoll
    • By DundeeDoll 5th Aug 18, 8:08 PM
    • 3,246 Posts
    • 36,580 Thanks
    DundeeDoll
    1) there were loads of burger rolls left over at hog roast last night so brought back a baker's dozen. Ate a fried egg and tomato roll for breakfast and froze the other 12, taking opportunity to sort freezer
    2) watched an episode of vera before a brisk walk to church.
    3) took boys for a lovey walk in the park. got home just before gbf called round unexpectedly so had a blether. he'd called round for rest of band's wine and also took some wood for the dump. hooray.
    4) mrpiano and dd2 are both away for the week, leaving me with beetroot and chorizo to use up. would you believe, bbc has a recipe for beetroot, lentil and chorizo salad. it's lish, and that's tomorrow's supper too (recipe said 2 - 3, let's say 2)
    5) clearing out cupboard under the stairs, have found a gazillion shopping bags. dd1 has taken a load upstairs to fill for the charity shop. oh and have rejoined the no clutter to be seen thread :-)
    For 2018 be kind, be courageous, and never ever eat pears
    • Mrs Salad Dodger
    • By Mrs Salad Dodger 5th Aug 18, 9:28 PM
    • 886 Posts
    • 10,297 Thanks
    Mrs Salad Dodger
    Sunday pleasures

Another hot day but slightly cooler than yesterday

Sitting in the garden & seeing the moon in a clear blue sky until 1:00 p.m.

Watching the bees on my lavender plant

Full roast beef dinner

Half hour chat with my next door neighbour - he is not sure if he will have a job after XMas as he works in Amsterdam (Brexit is a pain )

Reading your posts

MrsSD
    • Mrs Salad Dodger
    • By Mrs Salad Dodger 5th Aug 18, 9:33 PM
    • 886 Posts
    • 10,297 Thanks
    Mrs Salad Dodger
    One more - the surprise on my DSisís face when she opened a package arranged by my DH - 24 cans of Cream Soda All three of us keep looking in MrA & MrS but nary a can for the last two weeks . No idea if there is some sort of shortage
    • mhagster
    • By mhagster 5th Aug 18, 9:49 PM
    • 3,017 Posts
    • 35,286 Thanks
    mhagster
    Hello. Almost dark at 9.40pm. Oh dear. I much preferred the long light nights.

For today. Up early with he who must be obeyed! AKA Haggis!

Dozed off again. Up and a nice dog walk. Hung out washing .Went to church, which was very busy. Then we had a picnic lunch afterwards.

Nice chats with various people there which was also nice. Nipped into M&S ( for apricot Swiss roll) met friend who id had coffee with on Monday. So stood chatting for ages and then we ended up having a seat in cafe for another hour or so. It was nice to see her. She's been widowed recently too, so we both know what we go through each day.

Went into pound shop which is closing down and stuff was 10 things for £1 ( had been 5 for £1 ) so got a few more things for Halloween and Easter!

Back to car and thankful for free parking at weekend ,back home , out with dog for a walk .

Cut grass. Hopefully the final cut of back grass. Builders come Tuesday and what's not dug up will be trampled over. Chatted with a neighbour for a bit.
    Deadheaded flowers and threw out pansies that were just horrid looking. Need to get some autumnal plants for front porch.

Son home safe from the mountains.

Nice chat with friend before...even though we'd chatted last night for an hour, had picnic lunch and chatted ...there's always something to talk about!
    • Frith
    • By Frith 6th Aug 18, 12:16 AM
    • 4,628 Posts
    • 43,801 Thanks
    Frith
    Quick pleasures for today as I'm quite tired now.

1) Not a bad sleep.

2) Hens OK and 4 eggs.

3) Mended some of the damage from where my car was hit outside Sainsburys a week or 2 back. Changed the whole light unit. The new one (salvaged) had all the bulbs with it so I've now got some spares.

4) Dropped bigger son off in carpet town. Popped to Sainsburys and they were selling off some fish cheaply so I had 3 large dinners-worth portions of smoked mackerel, already bagged up, for 60p!

5) Picked enough blackberries for 3 pies or crumbles and put them in the freezer.

6) Watered the garden. Didn't see avocado frog but thyme frog is still there.

7) Had a game of football with smaller son.

Waiting for bigger son to come home. He is leaving for his NCS outdoor activities in the morning...
    Verschlimmbesserung
    • Purple kitten
    • By Purple kitten 6th Aug 18, 1:11 AM
    • 1,880 Posts
    • 20,749 Thanks
    Purple kitten
    1 I had been looking forward to making courgette lasagne, as it turned out I pretended it was meant to be ratatouille <sp> what a fail.
    2 Popped out when the heat let off a bit and picked 3 boxes of blackberries on the side now, destined for the freezer tomorrow morning.
    3 Nice to catch up with DB back from his hols.
    4 The citronella flames in the dark of the garden.
    5 A soak in the tub.
    • Hopeless Case
    • By Hopeless Case 6th Aug 18, 8:24 AM
    • 621 Posts
    • 3,483 Thanks
    Hopeless Case
    Morning

My pleasures:

Drove to clean the office at 5 this morning (was too tired to go yesterday ) - the early morning was breathtaking with low river mist and the hills in the background

Found out whie family will be together over the bank holiday

Son came round with girlfriend yesterday, they make such lovely couple

Sitting in the shade in the garden reading

Discussing making some rasied veg beds for next year to stop the dogs running over my veg
    June GC £218.09/ £300; July GC £259.17/ £250 ; August £130.47/£240
    Aug NSD target 6/20. Aug Bring Your Lunch to Work Target 5/11 Aug £1 a day £57.94/£31
    Cashback YTD £4.34- claims in for £38.91 untracked cashback. Tesco CC £8000 0% 30mnths, First Direct CC £4500 0% 18mnths
    • LaineyT
    • By LaineyT 6th Aug 18, 8:38 AM
    • 2,307 Posts
    • 28,815 Thanks
    LaineyT
    Sunday pleasures,

Out to brunch with hollow legged ones and gf, they lived up to name by choosing the big one and cracking through the lot, inc toast. Good to catch up on their lives.

Home for just after midday and saw the harvester in field next to ours, eventually windows had to be shut as combine did our field. Dust blown everywhere and cars covered but as always an awesome sight to watch these huge machines working.

Caught up on all things Ambridge, go Jill! That Robin is so smooth am surprised treacle wasnít leaking out of the radio.

Text chat with DSIL, she is so happy to be home and sleeping in own bed although she said it seemed very quiet after the ward!

Watching The Unforgotten and eating cold chocolate, itís a tough life.
    • Blackbeard of Perranporth
    • By Blackbeard of Perranporth 6th Aug 18, 11:23 AM
    • 5,285 Posts
    • 31,502 Thanks
    Blackbeard of Perranporth
    Clear off, not playing!
    V You can see BoP at 2:05 in the clip. Above S of Sponsor, second row. Blue shirt and cap! It got worse

4 Went to the International Bomber Command Centre in Lincoln. Had bacon so I was flying!

3 That was after wearing my Grimsby top in w8rs there. Wound them up!

2 Day BoP is off! Just put away the good honest wobbleades from Wainfleet.

Will not be having one today, had enough at the weekend!

Annoyed it took 73 years!
    I am Blackbeard of Porthperan!
    The views expressed here are subjective!
    • VJsmum
    • By VJsmum 6th Aug 18, 12:43 PM
    • 5,308 Posts
    • 78,146 Thanks
    VJsmum
    Morning all - back to wrestling with numbers...

Pleasures for Saturday

1. Bike wasn't mended so wasn't ridden (though i could have as i have the middle gears but we were planning something more taxing, requiring more gears) - but the pleasure is that we went for a walk instead and picked many blackberries
    2. Then walked past a house where cooking apples were offered to 'help yourselves' so we did. Yum free crumble filling
    3. Had a bath and read a chapter of one of the many books i have on the go.
    4. Friends came for tea so I cooked a vegetable risotto. i love cooking risotto as the whole standing and stirring thing is extremely soothing
    5. Then went to the beer festival and on the train - beers in hand. There was also an extremely good band on..

And yesterday

1. booking clerking - was much easier so i think i'm getting the hang.
    2. nice chats with the public whilst doing above
    3. DD been offered full time contract with her work she is beyond thrilled and i'm very proud of her
    4. Good bike ride to friends and a lovely evening in their lovely garden
    5. including piri piri prawns and chicken on the bbq and their woodburner was lit.

Have a good day all - planning a walk by the sea shortly.
    You're out with a friend in the capital, I'm a thousand leagues under the sea
    You're hovering worriedly over your eggs, And I'm pondering trees
    I'm wandering long, And I'm pondering trees
    For you and me
    Guy Garvey
    • MrsYox
    • By MrsYox 6th Aug 18, 4:23 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 12 Thanks
    MrsYox
    Hi all,

I've been away from the forum for quite some time - so much so, my old account email is no longer active and I couldn't remember my password - so have decided to start out afresh!

My husband and I moved from Sussex to Scotland earlier this year and have been in our new home, with land for the last 2 and a half months.
    So many pleasures to be found living in such a wonderful place, but I have been struggling a bit with mental wellbeing recently and I remembered that when I used to come on here and see everyone's pleasures and actively write mine down, it gave me space and time to really reflect and feel better.

SO....today's pleasures are:

1. No work today as it's a Scottish bank holiday
    2. Both lunch and breakfast were mostly made of homemade deliciousness - sourdough baguettes with homemade raspberry and blackcurrant jam, then cheesey courgette muffins and courgette fritters.
    3. We had our first winter log load delivered today - stacking them is one of my favourite jobs and makes me feel so secure and ready for the winter.
    4. The sun is shining and a good breeze keeps the midges away and dries the washing I've put out.
    5. Our spaniels are loving their new raised pallet bed - it makes me very happy to see them snug in their kennel!!

Hope you are all having a marvellous Monday!

• MrsLurcherwalker
    • By MrsLurcherwalker 6th Aug 18, 4:53 PM
    • 12,482 Posts
    • 173,426 Thanks
    MrsLurcherwalker
    'Lo MrsYox! welcome aboard!

1) Many things put at the bottom of the drive saying Free Please Take were freely taken and also bigger things on Freecycle all now have new homes.

2) We've just been over and paid the removals firm and collected some big boxes, can go back for more if we need them.

3) Tea! I could make cuppas all 5 of my pleasures!

4) The blackberries are slowing down, they will be over early this year as we're normally still picking the odd few into October.

5) Shedding more things to the tip, it get easier as you go doesn't it?
    Last edited by MrsLurcherwalker; 06-08-2018 at 5:01 PM.
    Thumpers mum was right - if you can't find anything nice to say don't say anything at all!
    • Blackbeard of Perranporth
    • By Blackbeard of Perranporth 6th Aug 18, 6:53 PM
    • 5,285 Posts
    • 31,502 Thanks
    Blackbeard of Perranporth
    Yousal miss it
    BoP is in the bum clinic the morrow, so no report. He is in Jenny test centre on Thursday as well. Usual BoP rule. Hurt them more than me!

The prep for bum clinic says its orange. My rrrrrrrrr!

Latest
    I am on the first movement!!!!
    Last edited by Blackbeard of Perranporth; 06-08-2018 at 8:58 PM.
    I am Blackbeard of Porthperan!
    The views expressed here are subjective!
    • VickyA
    • By VickyA 6th Aug 18, 9:14 PM
    • 4,403 Posts
    • 21,369 Thanks
    VickyA
    Hello everyone I haven't posted for aaaaaaaaaaaaaages, but it's lovely to be back. Wobbles are getting fewer and I am taking control of my life again.

So, I have many pleasures.

1) The sun. I know we're all moaning about how hot it is, but come January, I'll be bemoaning the lack of sun and warmth so I'm making sure I appreciate this sun. Even if it is blinking hot and I end up melting on a near-daily basis!!!

2) The library. I've been making the most of the great selection of books in our local library. I've got another book to pick up. Of course, I've still got a stack of books on my Kindle and real books on the bookshelf.

3) Won a competition where the prize was tickets to Countryfile Live. I went yesterday with a friend and it was really good. Not much money spent.

4) Done the weekly shop. Well, not a normal weekly shop as DH is working away for a few nights, so it's cheaper without him.

5) Catching up with old friends on Friday and Saturday last week. Great to have them in my life.

6) Been taught how to do cross-stitch by another friend. Just need to finish it off and then I can turn it into a book mark!
    SPC 8 #153 975.71 #9 £881.44 #10 £961.13 declared
    • Mrs Salad Dodger
    • By Mrs Salad Dodger 6th Aug 18, 9:49 PM
    • 886 Posts
    • 10,297 Thanks
    Mrs Salad Dodger
    Hi MrsYox & VickyA

Monday pleasures

Hot, hot, hot but today I had to retreat to the house for an hour

Seeing the moon again until 2 p.m.

Watching DH laying half the slabs for the new shed - only 8 days to go

Using up all the leftovers from the fridge for tonightís dinner for 3

Finishing 2 books & starting a new cs bag

Reading your posts

MrsSD
    • mhagster
    • By mhagster 6th Aug 18, 10:02 PM
    • 3,017 Posts
    • 35,286 Thanks
    mhagster
    waves at vicky was thinking of you recently as the demise of Clandestine cake club. Hope you'll enjoy your summer break.

Pirate Pete I read that as your bum was orange & thought I didn't need to know that!

Mrs LW you are doing what I was doing a year ago. Packing, downsizing, giving away...keep on going!

Hello Mrs Yox I try & post most days for past 8 years! It's good to concentrate & focus on what's good but you're allowed an occasional rant & moan too!

Monday has been busy.

Over to friends to house sit and wait for workmen whilst she was at work.

Weeded her very weedy garden. In the drizzly rain.

Went to Lidl , used my £5 off voucher . Specifically bought stuff for our local food bank. I'd read at church yesterday that stock is exceptionally low. Took it straight there & by chance met the manager outside . Had a good chat with him as he helped me in with bags . Have encouraged friends to support them too.

Home, dog walk, home.

Humphed slate from garden to big tubs to reuse again.

Building starts tomorrow . Wish me luck. I only have a clear image of the end & not the bit in between.

Saw a Melbourne friend was in London & asked if she was 'doing' Scotland. She is & we are having lunch tomorrow ! Hurrah! ( I am also doing tea at a friends tomorrow!)

Another Melbourne friend sent me a message & shared some fabulous news do that was lovely too.

Pizza for tea.

Chat with friend on phone.

Quick evening dog walk & what a beautiful sunset.
    • DundeeDoll
    • By DundeeDoll 6th Aug 18, 10:03 PM
    • 3,246 Posts
    • 36,580 Thanks
    DundeeDoll
    welcome to mse and welcome to scotland mrsyox i'll leave you guess which scottish city I now live in
    1) another good session in the park. my core has been aching ever since, but in a good way
    2) no bank holidays for my uni so monday as usual. last of the chicken casserole and pasta for lunch
    3) DCA after work for meet up with friends i went to rome with
    4) home to find dd1 had not only put my washing on the line but, cos it dried quick, also dried her washing. loving the weather
    5) mrssd's encouraging words on the clutter free thread. another 18 items gone
    For 2018 be kind, be courageous, and never ever eat pears
    • Frith
    • By Frith 6th Aug 18, 10:53 PM
    • 4,628 Posts
    • 43,801 Thanks
    Frith
    Hello to MrsYox and welcome back to VickyA!

Pleasures for today (Monday)

1) Not a bad sleep.

2) Hens OK and 4 eggs.

3) A farewell breakfast of scrambled eggs and smoked salmon. I've taken to freezing smoked salmon in portions big enough for 2 now as we could never eat a whole pack in the required 24 hours. It seems OK. (Smaller son doesn't like eggs for breakfast so doesn't need the smoked salmon).

4) Bigger son has gone away with the NCS people! Hoorah! This week he will be in the Peak District until Friday doing outdoor type activities. The usual tension when I dropped him off and I said I'd wait (in the car) until he left on the coach. After a minute he came back to the car and said, "GO AWAY - I can't EXPRESS myself with you here" !!!! I have received a short text saying it's good and he'll send me some photos tomorrow.

5) Did 2 loads of washing, changed his bed and painted the kitchen ceiling with the annoying first "mist" coat.

6) Watched Who Do You Think You Are?
    Verschlimmbesserung
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

110Posts Today

1,371Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Ta ta... for now. This August, as I try and do every few yrs, I'm lucky enough to be taking a sabbatical. No work,? https://t.co/Xx4R3eLhFG

• RT @lethalbrignull: @MartinSLewis I've been sitting here for a good while trying to decide my answer to this, feeling grateful for living i?

• Early days but currently it's exactly 50 50 in liberality v democracy, with younger people more liberal, older more? https://t.co/YwJr4izuIj

• Follow Martin