Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • DundeeDoll
    • By DundeeDoll 18th Jul 17, 11:34 AM
    • 3,269Posts
    • 36,841Thanks
    DundeeDoll
    5 OS pleasures in your day today - part 3
    • 18th Jul 17, 11:34 AM
    5 OS pleasures in your day today - part 3 18th Jul 17 at 11:34 AM
    Ok I'm diving in as I've noticed several of us have lost posts we thought had posted, and there now seems to be a serious risk of losing the whole thread. So thanks for the heads up Karcher. (and i sympathise Frith - i too like to nip back)

I've revisited the first thread of our part 2, posted 28th October 2009. It said:
    Time for a shiny new thread The old one had got to 4500 odd posts which amounts to 22,500 OS pleasures (at least) It's so good to know that the OS life can be so rewarding.

I'll kick off the new thread.

1) Homemade bread and marmalade for breakfast.

2) A walk over the Malvern Hills to blow away the cobwebs.

3) Drying the washing outside- still, in October.

4) Watching mydaughter making a game out of sweeping the leaves with her friends.

5) The prospect of collecting a big order of meat from the butcher this morning and having my freezer full for less.
    Originally posted by thriftlady
    Part 2 went on considerably longer so many many more pleasures. And of course life stories shared, support given, tears of sorrow and joy shed. Part 2 I shall miss you, but here's to part 3.
    Last edited by DundeeDoll; 18-07-2017 at 11:40 AM.
Page 174
    • Blackbeard of Perranporth
    • By Blackbeard of Perranporth 10th Jul 18, 8:05 PM
    • 5,378 Posts
    • 32,001 Thanks
    Blackbeard of Perranporth
    On the big Warster Train. Live.
    Just south of Kemble. Inn Stroud soon. Wobbleade will be purchased.

Awesome!
    Cardiac Arrest - Electrical - Patient unconscious! Heart Attack - Plumbing - Patient conscious!
    Coughing does not stop a Cardiac Arrest! Statins have not cured any electrical faults!
    • Mrs Salad Dodger
    • By Mrs Salad Dodger 10th Jul 18, 10:10 PM
    • 1,034 Posts
    • 11,918 Thanks
    Mrs Salad Dodger
    Tuesday pleasures

Warm day but not much sun as heavy cloud cover but still no rain

Saw TWO butterflies today - usually only see one

The ‘bird friendly hedge plants’ are finally grown enough for the birds to fly in & out of DH & I spent a happy ten minutes watching them

Finally making a decision about our new larger shed & DH has ordered it Delivery in about a month so plenty of time for DH to prepare the ground & put in the ground base.

The joy on DH’s face when I agreed that he could go ‘Round Britain Rallying’ on his motorbike for two days

DH having the proper tools to be able to affix DSis’s TV to the wall in her room

9:51pm and the bat is gracing me with an aerial display which lasted for 5 minutes

Using up all my leftover food from the fridge

Reading your posts

MrsSD
    • By Blackbeard of Perranporth 10th Jul 18, 10:14 PM
    • 5,378 Posts
    • 32,001 Thanks
    Hic. Hic. Hic.
    Wobbleade has bin consumed!
    Cardiac Arrest - Electrical - Patient unconscious! Heart Attack - Plumbing - Patient conscious!
    Coughing does not stop a Cardiac Arrest! Statins have not cured any electrical faults!
    • Hopeless Case
    • By Hopeless Case 11th Jul 18, 6:03 AM
    • 752 Posts
    • 4,351 Thanks
    Hopeless Case
    Another lovely morning

More entertaining football last night - very nervous about tonight's match.

Dog ran amock in veg bed and i thought he'd taken out a squash plant, but it turned out he'd only broken 2 leaves and bashed the plant about a bit - naughty dog!!

Courgettes from garden for tea, and a rare treat of cherries as I found some YS ones (10p a punnet)

Planning a visit to the seaside on Friday
    Sept GC £62.58/£240
    NSD target: Aug 21/20, Sept 8/14
    Sept Bring Your Lunch to Work Target
    6/13
    £1 a day: Aug £60.88/£31
    Sept £29.63/£30
    Tesco CC £10,151.56 0% 30mnths, First Direct CC £4321.80 £4111.7 0% til Feb 20
    • house elf
    • By house elf 11th Jul 18, 6:21 AM
    • 814 Posts
    • 10,794 Thanks
    house elf
    Good Morning,

Very quickly as off on another training session today......

Recent OSP

1. Friends came with their pickaxe to remove the rockery to make way for building work. Rewarded them with a takeaway in the garden. Lovely evening.

2. DD has Best Friends visiting her in Greece, so is cheered up.

3. Finished all my parents meetings now. Very pleased.

4. Ordered a new shed as old one will eventually be demolished. Good price after much research.

5. Gammon and egg for tea.

Have a lovely day
    Synchro Mums - 'Changing the world one sequin at a time' Lady GaGa
    'We have more in common than that which divides us.' Jo Cox
    • villagelife
    • By villagelife 11th Jul 18, 6:30 AM
    • 1,490 Posts
    • 16,532 Thanks
    villagelife
    1. Enjoyed my walk and met a dog or two and their owners.

2. Strange day at work but it's over now. People were upset about various things.

3. Home and had a coffee in the garden to try and relax.

4. Made a tasty tea which was very easy to do.

5. Reading my book.
    • LaineyT
    • By LaineyT 11th Jul 18, 8:17 AM
    • 2,399 Posts
    • 29,957 Thanks
    LaineyT
    Tuesday pleasures,

Not a pleasure as such but car went into village garage as air con not working, rather more than needing refreshing but condenser leaking. The bill was a little but covered by car maintenance fund and considerably less than the mini dealership would have charged.

Enforced day at home to the above but it was lovely and cool so big catch up on housekeeping.

Stopped to watch the RAF100 celebrations, emotional watching especially the flight over the Palace.

Another BSD recipe, this tine cod with braised lettuce, good stuff.

Had to close windows in lounge as too cold, fancy that!

Nervous already with 11 hours to go, come on England!
    • VJsmum
    • By VJsmum 11th Jul 18, 10:48 AM
    • 5,332 Posts
    • 78,506 Thanks
    VJsmum
    Morning all

Pleasures for the last few days

1. Excellent walking on the Lleyn peninsular - about 30 miles over two days. I didn't actually know whether i could do that, but i did . Fantastic views - sometimes the sea was on 3 sides
    2. Lovely B&B on saturday night with superb meal on the terrace overlooking the sea
    3. Driving for 1 1/2 hours back to ICT and realising that we had walked all of that - and more (186 miles / 865 so far)
    4. Warm sunshine - I will never tire of it
    5. Going to London yesterday to see the fly past - we were stood by the fountain at the palace. Fantastic and the '100' was just WOW (though, according to an RAF bod we were stood by "it could have been tighter in its formation"). Even DS said he was glad to have seen it.
    You're out with a friend in the capital, I'm a thousand leagues under the sea
    You're hovering worriedly over your eggs, And I'm pondering trees
    I'm wandering long, And I'm pondering trees
    For you and me
    Guy Garvey
    • Mrs Salad Dodger
    • By Mrs Salad Dodger 11th Jul 18, 10:57 AM
    • 1,034 Posts
    • 11,918 Thanks
    Mrs Salad Dodger
    VJsmum, it wasn’t BOP was it
    • By Blackbeard of Perranporth 11th Jul 18, 12:05 PM
    • 5,378 Posts
    • 32,001 Thanks
    VJsmum, it wasn’t BOP was it
    Originally posted by Mrs Salad Dodger
    BoP was further up on Horse Guards!
    100 Was on pongo land yesterday at Horse Guards. I can say it was awesome, photos later this weak. Had a good look around from the Royal Aircraft factory BE2 to the newer version of the Lightning. Saw Liz and her speech remembering the Battle of Britain. That hit home over any turncoat politico that you should not be bothered about! Then saw the team marking the airmans graves for the Great War. Has no looked yet, but search for this on the engine thing that tracks you! RAF100@big-ideas.org That was new! BoPsie was too much in the fly pass and … She ended up a bit toasted when the baton came back having travelled the lands and the world in celebration.

4 Supper was had inn the wobbleade emporium. We left early having fed Raffles, he followed us down the road. When we got home, his bowls had remained untouched until BoPsie shouted him, and he came from where we had left him. Bowls were quickly lapped up. BoPsie is recovering!

3 Tonight. BoPsie has recommended that I gets the wobbleade inn on the way back from the mill! Now I has texted BoPsie this day and she is silent! She is going to rush home and empty the dishwasher! Unfortunately, BoP forgot to put it on!

PM2DD While BoP and BoPsie was munching the canapes and other nices on the pongo grounds last day, bumped into a CoS Padre who had come down from Dundee! Marjorie! Very well kept lady and very proper! Very well spoken and had been to the Abbey earlier!

Having one today again. Our colleague at the mill who comes from near Paris has a big head this morning. I hope it does not last! He has been advised to take the rest of the year off!

Now I has texted BoPsie this day and she is silent! She is going to rush home and empty the dishwasher! Unfortunately, BoP forgot to put it on!

Here’s why you will need to use the …
    • MrsLurcherwalker
    • By MrsLurcherwalker 11th Jul 18, 12:40 PM
    • 12,603 Posts
    • 174,716 Thanks
    MrsLurcherwalker
    1) Yesterdays visit was so peace of mind making, owners are a lovely couple, so easy to deal with and now I'm settled.

2) They are going to sell us a couple of pieces of furniture that are too big to fit in their new home and are just what I need to buy so that's a win win if ever there was one.

3) Lovely supper with DD1 and James last night sat in the garden in the shade.

4) Really good run home, motorways were empty and it was much cooler than it had been so a comfortable journey.

5) Sleeping the night through as a) We were shattered, it was a long day but b) all the uncertainty has gone and that is worth more than rubies!
    Thumpers mum was right - if you can't find anything nice to say don't say anything at all!
    • mhagster
    • By mhagster 11th Jul 18, 7:41 PM
    • 3,051 Posts
    • 35,702 Thanks
    mhagster
    For Wednesday :

Another lousy sleep. Not sure why.

Dog walk. We saw a hare .Thrilled! Not so much at the dog running off with his shoes flying (literally) and landing somewhere in the almost shoulder height grass! But somehow they were found & the hare got away.

Woke up to rain, which gave the garden a decent drink.

Looked out some paperwork & dealt with it. Has been on the to do list .

Cut the grass. Not really my idea of a pleasure though I do like it when it's done!

What to have for tea? Son had forgotten his lunch of last nights left overs so we had that.

Nice chat with my sister. DD has been there for a few days . She'll be home in an hour or so.

Having done of the RTC carrot cake. It's rather nice.
    • Mrs Salad Dodger
    • By Mrs Salad Dodger 12th Jul 18, 12:49 AM
    • 1,034 Posts
    • 11,918 Thanks
    Mrs Salad Dodger
    Wednesday pleasures

Warmer day with some blue sky visible

Watching DH hard at work in the garden

Visiting the cs shop to drop off donations & it being open (as my DSis was beginning to doubt that they ever opened ) Then spendIng 90 minutes chatting & laughing

Really quiet in A*DA & no traffic on the roads for the bus trip home something to do with a football match

Bat visited again.

Reading your posts

MrsSD
    • villagelife
    • By villagelife 12th Jul 18, 6:30 AM
    • 1,490 Posts
    • 16,532 Thanks
    villagelife
    1. Enjoyed walk to the bus and met a neighbour and chatted for a bit. Then it was a much quicker walk to the bus but I did make it in time.

2. Work happened and I left on time.

3. Met someone I hadn't seen in ages on walk home and caught up with all their news.

4. Made a start on DH accounts. Not a pleasure but slightly closer to finishing them now.

5. Watched the football with DS2. He always gets so involved that it amuses me watching him.
    • house elf
    • By house elf 12th Jul 18, 6:33 AM
    • 814 Posts
    • 10,794 Thanks
    house elf
    Good morning Lovelies,

Yesterday

1. Training course...........This organisation always holds events in a nightclub It is probably very glam under nighttime lighting, but rather seedy during the day it amuses me greatly The info session was interesting.

2. Back in time for the end of a meeting.

3. Sent off a big piece of work.

4. Pie and mash for tea. Summer foods

5. Lit the log burner when the tension in the football match got too much, and sat outside listening to the quiet.

6. Watched another Whitehouse and Mortimer Fishing programme before bed.

Have a lovely day
    Synchro Mums - 'Changing the world one sequin at a time' Lady GaGa
    'We have more in common than that which divides us.' Jo Cox
    • LaineyT
    • By LaineyT 12th Jul 18, 8:40 AM
    • 2,399 Posts
    • 29,957 Thanks
    LaineyT
    Wednesday pleasures,

Circumvented the awful queues in horsey town P.O. and went to one in the next village along, walked in and straight up to a counter

Cut flowers, the dwarf Gladioli that I picked up on Monday are in full bloom, beautiful.

Read an interesting article about how the current period of drought weather is revealing ancient underground structures.

At the yard and chatting to owner about my stressy mare, am going to try a natural herb supplement which lead on to conversation about neuron paths and placebos.

The football, pride and disappointment in equal measure.
    • MrsLurcherwalker
    • By MrsLurcherwalker 12th Jul 18, 8:53 AM
    • 12,603 Posts
    • 174,716 Thanks
    MrsLurcherwalker
    1) Up at silly o clock as He Who Knows has gone fishing and have already done housework, made stilton and broccoli soup, sorted out a couple of cupboards and had tea!

2) BHF are coming to collect the three piece today and some boxes of books that DD1 has decided are surplus to requirements, this will save considerable time feeding the book bank.

3) The pile of packed boxes in the corner of the lounge grows ever higher.

4) I'm making inroads on the freezer contents so we can get rid of the very big chest freezer and also the smaller one in the garage.

5) A lovely cool walk through the woods last evening with Maisie and her mum which was refreshing after the heat of the day.
    Thumpers mum was right - if you can't find anything nice to say don't say anything at all!
    • VJsmum
    • By VJsmum 12th Jul 18, 8:57 AM
    • 5,332 Posts
    • 78,506 Thanks
    VJsmum
    Morning all

Pleasures for yesterday

1. DD had her first date for several years. Previously they have been with weird men, this one was with a woman. it went well, but she thinks they are likely to be friends rather than anything else and she is cool with that.
    2. cooked lovely quiche for tea - half bacon and half broccoli, ne'er the two shall meet. I had a slice from each of the boundaries so there was no contamination. I got a message from DD after she'd had hers (she ate later than us) "Momsels that quiche was so heckin good i feel blessed".
    3. Got to grips with SPSS (statistics) and think I will enjoy it
    4. ticked a lot of fiddly niggly jobs off my to do list
    5. Enjoyed the football. I'd have liked us to win, but also glad i can now do something nice on sunday instead of watch football....

Have a great day all
    You're out with a friend in the capital, I'm a thousand leagues under the sea
    You're hovering worriedly over your eggs, And I'm pondering trees
    I'm wandering long, And I'm pondering trees
    For you and me
    Guy Garvey
    • Hopeless Case
    • By Hopeless Case 12th Jul 18, 9:55 AM
    • 752 Posts
    • 4,351 Thanks
    Hopeless Case
    Morning - cooler here today and even a few spots of rain

Can't say I enjoyed the football, too nervous, and the result was a disappointment but so can't fault how well the team did, very proud of them

Mr Pug had such a good play with a boxer pup yesterday, love to see him getting so excited and nice that it was a bit cooler so I didn't have to worry about him overheating

Lovely canneloni for tea with home grown courgettes

Day off tomorrow and trip to the seaside (with possible thunderstorms thrown in )

My basil is finally grown enough that i could pick a decent amount to go in the canneloni - delicious
    Sept GC £62.58/£240
    NSD target: Aug 21/20, Sept 8/14
    Sept Bring Your Lunch to Work Target
    6/13
    £1 a day: Aug £60.88/£31
    Sept £29.63/£30
    Tesco CC £10,151.56 0% 30mnths, First Direct CC £4321.80 £4111.7 0% til Feb 20
    • By Blackbeard of Perranporth 12th Jul 18, 12:13 PM
    • 5,378 Posts
    • 32,001 Thanks
    Forget it, right?
    Did someone mention BHF Jenny says thanks

5 Hmmm!

4 It was no use reminding BoPsie to put the dishwasher on yesterday! I got home with the wobbleades before her! Tea was snorker dogs and onion. Proper foods and cheap!

3 Talking of proper foods, chuck wagon turned up and another snorker sandwich this very morning. Three monthly treat! Tum rubbed!

2 Night BoP is trimming in the gym and is now beach ready as well!

Having one today. At least the Scots don’t have to buy another shirt for Sunday. It must have cost them a fortune in the last month!

And that is the BoPiness for now!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,897Posts Today

8,506Users online

Martin's Twitter