Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • DundeeDoll
    • By DundeeDoll 18th Jul 17, 11:34 AM
    • 3,221Posts
    • 36,330Thanks
    DundeeDoll
    5 OS pleasures in your day today - part 3
    • 18th Jul 17, 11:34 AM
    5 OS pleasures in your day today - part 3 18th Jul 17 at 11:34 AM
    Ok I'm diving in as I've noticed several of us have lost posts we thought had posted, and there now seems to be a serious risk of losing the whole thread. So thanks for the heads up Karcher. (and i sympathise Frith - i too like to nip back)

I've revisited the first thread of our part 2, posted 28th October 2009. It said:
    Time for a shiny new thread The old one had got to 4500 odd posts which amounts to 22,500 OS pleasures (at least) It's so good to know that the OS life can be so rewarding.

I'll kick off the new thread.

1) Homemade bread and marmalade for breakfast.

2) A walk over the Malvern Hills to blow away the cobwebs.

3) Drying the washing outside- still, in October.

4) Watching mydaughter making a game out of sweeping the leaves with her friends.

5) The prospect of collecting a big order of meat from the butcher this morning and having my freezer full for less.
    Originally posted by thriftlady
    Part 2 went on considerably longer so many many more pleasures. And of course life stories shared, support given, tears of sorrow and joy shed. Part 2 I shall miss you, but here's to part 3.
    Last edited by DundeeDoll; 18-07-2017 at 11:40 AM.
Page 173
    • LaineyT
    • By LaineyT 8th Jul 18, 7:42 AM
    • 2,216 Posts
    • 27,536 Thanks
    LaineyT
    Thanks for the heads up on parking & exiting that particular car park can be fraught at best of times, well done on face to face with manager.

Saturday pleasures,

Up with the larks after rubbish nights sleep which meant boiled egg and soldiers by 7.30am.

Put another container of water out for wildlife, this time by the shed for baby bunnies, with not a drop of rain falling for at least 3 weeks they must all be struggling. Used Rosie’s old food bowl, seemed right somehow.

Out to farm shop to visit excellent butcher, freezer filled.

Met friend over at stables, she had a lesson in blistering heat and then cuddles with horse girlie.

Watched the football, the dream continues.

A bit cba with evening meal so had sausage sandwich and then promptly fell asleep on sofa.
    • house elf
    • By house elf 8th Jul 18, 8:16 AM
    • 761 Posts
    • 10,227 Thanks
    house elf
    Good Morning Folks,

& Thank you for the heads up on the League of Gentlemen. Although a bit pricey at the Arena. Probably the same everywhere!

Yesterday!!!8217;s Grand Day Out

1. Breakfast was included at hotel. Although receptionist !!!8216;thought it wasn!!!8217;t!!!8217;. A nice continental breakfast of croissants etc.

2. Poor DS2 was exhausted, but valiantly up and showered.

3. Dockyard tickets are valid for a year, so although we only managed 3 of the 11 sites, we can return to do more.......(3 x £40 tickets free with Clubcard points ). Took our time around HMS Victory, Harbour Tour and Boat House........strangely quiet, as there was a game on somewhere

4. Nice lunch, and played on the antique animatronics machines at the back of the restaurant. Back to our child hoods.

5. Trip back was through beautiful countryside, but DS2 started to feel ill. (Lunchtime pizza? Heat exhaustion?).

6. Home and DS2 went straight to bed. We sat out with the wood burner, getting rid of old planks of wood ready for the new shed. People who live in the house backing on to the bottom of our garden are obviously Croatian! Celebrations calmed down about 11pm, so we headed to bed.

Have a lovely day.
    Last edited by house elf; 08-07-2018 at 8:23 AM.
    Synchro Mums - 'Changing the world one sequin at a time' Lady GaGa
    'We have more in common than that which divides us.' Jo Cox
    • MrsLurcherwalker
    • By MrsLurcherwalker 8th Jul 18, 9:43 AM
    • 12,112 Posts
    • 167,969 Thanks
    MrsLurcherwalker
    1) a walk last evening at 9 in the cooler air .

2) Used up some of the courgette and bean mountains for lunch today in the form of a courgette, pasta and mozzarella bake and a bean salad.

3) Picking blackberries in the garden, loganberries and redcurrants too.

4) The first tomatoes are ripe in the greenhouse, the yellow Sungold my favourites.

5)Trying on a strappy top donated by Nell and deciding it looked respectable enough for me to wear and being cool!
    Thumpers mum was right - if you can't find anything nice to say don't say anything at all!
    • Mrs Salad Dodger
    • By Mrs Salad Dodger 8th Jul 18, 12:46 PM
    • 798 Posts
    • 9,166 Thanks
    Mrs Salad Dodger
    Saturday pleasures

Hot, hot, hot

Playing with new ‘toy’ - a water pellet rifle to clear the pigeons from the back garden - two or three pigeons O.K. But twenty or so keep the little birdies away

Watching the young magpie chasing away pigeons & the little birdies returning to feeders & water bowls

Salad for dinner

The bat is now a regular visitor

The rented house next door have had the gardener in - now a garden not a weed patch

Something to do with football - a mixed pleasure as politicians are taking credit & hoping that any success will deflect our attention from the shambles that is Brex*t - MrsSD is not fooled

Reading your posts

Sunday pleasures so far

Hot, hot, hot but with an occasional cooling breeze

Clearing pigeons with my new toy

Listening to birdsong

Drinking copious amounts of tea

Have a great day everyone

MrsSD
    • villagelife
    • By villagelife 9th Jul 18, 7:01 AM
    • 1,436 Posts
    • 15,886 Thanks
    villagelife
    For the last two days.

1. Met a friend for coffee and sat looking over a river. Watching people canoeing.

2. Spent time lazing in the garden and then realising the football was about to start as the roads had become very quiet.

3. Watched the match and caught up with ironing and tidying up downstairs.

4. More clearing of rubbish in the garden. Glass, china and bits of metal have been thrown.

5. Had fish and chips in the garden. Two small cod and a portion of chips between us.

6. Up early and said hello to DS2 as he arrived home , showered and then left by 6.40. He had a great day at Silverstone watching the British Grand prix with tickets he'd won.

7. Went to my sister's with DH. We had a relaxing day chatting, eating and drinking. Her son didn't make a fuss when he was stung by a bee but did then go to sleep.

8. A good weekend.
    • Hopeless Case
    • By Hopeless Case 9th Jul 18, 8:10 AM
    • 489 Posts
    • 2,581 Thanks
    Hopeless Case
    Big catch up reading everyone's posts, lovely

Fab weekend

1 The football - YAY

2 Lovely bbq for sister's bday, great family catch up and my chocolate fudge cake turned out lovely thankfully

3 My parents didn't want their blackcurrant crop so I had great fun harvesting and freezing them - LOVE blackcurrants

4 Still loving the sunshine but won't mind it getting a tad cooler this weekend

5 My dwarf sunflowers are a joy - I'm not watering the beds but keeping my pots watered and these little beauties are filling me with joy
    June GC £218.09/ £300; July GC Target £250 -177.79/ £72.21
    July NSD target 7/10
    July Bring Your Lunch to Work Target 8/13
    Buy a used car/ get out of PCP cycle fund £600/£2400
    Cashback YTD £3.05/ claims 'on ice' for £7.50 untracked cashback
    • LaineyT
    • By LaineyT 9th Jul 18, 8:34 AM
    • 2,216 Posts
    • 27,536 Thanks
    LaineyT
    Ooh, lucky you HC another lover of blackcurrants here.

Sunday pleasures,

Up early and sat in garden with first cuppa, something to remember when it’s dark and cold.

Mama Blackbird having a bath in Rose’s old bowl that had put out with water for wildlife.

Starting reading a book about horse confidence that an acquaintance of mine had written, I get frustrated at times by foolish fears that hold me back from doing everything I want riding wise, am hoping to pick up some tips and NLP skills.

Most cooking I did all day was throwing two steaks on griddle pan.

Downloaded and watched first eipisode of The Guilty, the tv schedules are woefully lacking in content as the sport dominates.
    • Blackbeard of Perranporth
    • By Blackbeard of Perranporth 9th Jul 18, 12:06 PM
    • 5,188 Posts
    • 31,146 Thanks
    Blackbeard of Perranporth
    Sudden Death!
    VVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVV VVVVVVVV

That’s it then!

At the mill, our shirt buttoners have had a notwork downgrade over the weakened. We used to have connectivity, now we may as well get two cans and a length of string!

Note to readers, BoP is appearing in London on 10th July at the RAF Centenary! It is on the box as well! Well worth seeing!

Trenchard Old Haltonians
    Commemorate Celebrate Inspire
    #RAF100 A century of service!
    • MrsLurcherwalker
    • By MrsLurcherwalker 9th Jul 18, 1:53 PM
    • 12,112 Posts
    • 167,969 Thanks
    MrsLurcherwalker
    1) Lots of perfectly ripe home grown fruit.

2) Bargains from charity shops this morning in town.

3) Sleeping last night, windows wide and a light but lovely breeze.

4) The petunias in all our window boxes and hanging baskets which are giving off a lovely perfume in the evenings and are such lovely colours they cheer our days.

5) It's currently overcast with a breeze here and for the first time in weeks I'm feeling comfortable temperature wise, bliss!
    Thumpers mum was right - if you can't find anything nice to say don't say anything at all!
    • Hopeless Case
    • By Hopeless Case 9th Jul 18, 4:47 PM
    • 489 Posts
    • 2,581 Thanks
    Hopeless Case
    1) Lots of perfectly ripe home grown fruit.

2) Bargains from charity shops this morning in town.

3) Sleeping last night, windows wide and a light but lovely breeze.

4) The petunias in all our window boxes and hanging baskets which are giving off a lovely perfume in the evenings and are such lovely colours they cheer our days.

5) It's currently overcast with a breeze here and for the first time in weeks I'm feeling comfortable temperature wise, bliss!
    Originally posted by MrsLurcherwalker
    It is here too - watching our local weather last night and they said that if we were unlucky we might just catch a shower - and I thought that surely even the most ardent sun lovers would welcome a shower by now? Or maybe only us gardeners? I'd love some rain, the important thing is that I want to sunshine to return and stay for ever and ever
    July NSD target 7/10
    • Mrs Salad Dodger
    • By Mrs Salad Dodger 9th Jul 18, 8:19 PM
    • 798 Posts
    • 9,166 Thanks
    Mrs Salad Dodger
    Monday pleasures

Sorry for this one - but Bo*is & Da*id both resigning

Very cloudy day but still lots of heat & now a brisk wind so have managed to get three loads of drying done including our bedding & bedding for CS

The new sprinkler arrived & a five second burst scares the pigeons away for up to half an hour - my new ‘toy’ is redundant

DH & DSis went shopping in her car we now have lots & lots of soft drinks & plenty of Pale Ale for me + have started to fill the second freezer with frozen vegetables.

DH has taken to having a gin & tonic in the evening & was rather pleased that I had sliced a lemon & frozen the slices not really a g&t without the lemon

The great tits have returned to our garden

My first £25 ERNIE cheque arrived today

Reading your posts

MrsSD
    • mhagster
    • By mhagster 9th Jul 18, 10:06 PM
    • 2,992 Posts
    • 35,010 Thanks
    mhagster
    Hello. Not sure why I didn't post last night!

Sunday pleasures.
    Nice service at church.

Trying to get DD2 to see that she was being sucked in by a drama llama . As one of life's drama queens she does not need anyone else's! Her cousin ( my niece) was saying exactly the same to her!

Popped over to friends house, sat in garden for a while.

Home just in time for Poldark...when DD2 decided ( having asked why was the door shut?) to regale me with the latest drama! The only drama I want is Ross and Demelzas!

For today. Wide awake at 3am. Still dark. Whereas I'm sure last week it was light.

Dropped DD2 off at train station she's away to my sisters for a few days.

In and waited for smart meter man ( and his beautiful eyes!) to come between 8-12 . He called at 8.20am to say he would be here by 8.50am...guess who's been checking out energy usage all day! Have even switched the oven off so the wee clock thing isn't using energy!

Much washing done. Didn't quite get round to ironing it. That's tomorrow's job.

My mother popped in. I don't really like this and appreciate that probably sounds very horrid. I was mid email to the stupid pension company and wanted to continue so I did! She probably thought I was rude. Then went on to ask me silly questions why wasn't it paid out ...because OH died , I've just explained all that. When are you scattering his ashes? I have no need to do so just now. When A died ( just call him dad, that's who he was to me) ...blah, blah! When dad died , you had just one pension company to deal with and that was in the same country you lived in.

Bit of garden sofa/ snooze...woke up when my hat blew off.

Made fajitas for tea. Son was quite chatty as I cooked.

Then I got an email response from pension company that just made me sob and sob. They said in response to my request for people to be treated as individuals and appreciate that with a terminal illness there might not necessarily be the time available that they took. In our case there wasn't. That they would look in to changing their response . I really hope they do. People not case numbers.

So I was rather put off my tea as I was so upset. Son had an extra fajita!

Made tablet (Scottish sweet) using a different recipe than my normal. Just made a wee half batch as a trial. Will stick to my own! I'm holding a fundraiser in 12 days so was just trialling it.

Soaps on at proper times! Aaaah the simple things!
    Last edited by mhagster; 09-07-2018 at 10:08 PM.
    • DundeeDoll
    • By DundeeDoll 9th Jul 18, 11:10 PM
    • 3,221 Posts
    • 36,330 Thanks
    DundeeDoll
    Been away for the weekend. Took puter but didn't have internet. Forgot i could have used phone as hotspot d'oh.
    1) being met by friends at Hartlepool and whisked off for lish fish and chips
    2) meeting friend who was student / fellow worshipper last year and now works in York. Met him and family at door of Durham Cathedral where we were all headed for the 11am guided tour. What a happy coincidence
    3) then lovely lunch with my friends and back for 3pm kick-off.
    4) celebrating goal 1 with prosecco. then goal 2. then victoryyyyyyyy. much as i love scotland, there's only one country to watch engerland
    5) going to newcastle tomorrow for a conference, back thursday. what a coincidence, i'll be engerland for the next match!
    For 2018 be kind, be courageous, and never ever eat pears
    • villagelife
    • By villagelife 10th Jul 18, 6:38 AM
    • 1,436 Posts
    • 15,886 Thanks
    villagelife
    1. The one air conditioned room in the department. Talked to various people in there who I don't normally talk to. The temperature was 31 at 8 in the morning and rose to about 36 at 4.

2. Roads were fairly quiet on the drive.

3. There is now food in the house! Went shopping on my way hime.

4. Quick snooze when I arrived home.

5. Dead headed loads is plants. Hopefully they will grow a bit more.
    • MrsLurcherwalker
    • By MrsLurcherwalker 10th Jul 18, 7:41 AM
    • 12,112 Posts
    • 167,969 Thanks
    MrsLurcherwalker
    1.2.3.4.5) all the same today, we finally get to go round our new home with the owners to sort out all the discrepancies and find out how things there work!

6) Went to Currys yesterday and looked at tall fridges and freezers, condensing tumble driers and Dyson cordless vacuum cleaners and decide what we are going to get when we move.
    • Hopeless Case
    • By Hopeless Case 10th Jul 18, 7:53 AM
    • 489 Posts
    • 2,581 Thanks
    Hopeless Case
    Morning - cooler today which is nice for a change - that's not what I normally say in July

1 Looking forward to the footie tonight, rooting for France but if i had to bet it would be on Belgium! Should be a cracker though

2 OH is so much better, getting better every day, which is amazing

3 My crystal lake geranium is flowering beautifully on my patio (amongst it's more blowsy pelargonium cousins ) I keep calling it 'crystal maze' by mistake

4 Nearly finished my jigsaw, it's a painting of Falmouth and making me long to go to Cornwall

5 Got a lovely top for £3 in the charity shop which goes really well with the skirt I got there last week
    July NSD target 7/10
    • LaineyT
    • By LaineyT 10th Jul 18, 8:51 AM
    • 2,216 Posts
    • 27,536 Thanks
    LaineyT
    Monday pleasures,

Popped to emporium for top up shop of F&V, drifted up and down aisles as beautifully cool in there.

Home and Capt S had moved millstone water feature so that I could see birds using it from kitchen window.

Just when the heat was becoming too much a cool breeze got up and by the time I exercised hours girlie it was much easier for us both.

Followed a BSD recipe for tea (chicken and lentils Frith) and it was delic.

Bed and it had cooled down enough for sheet AND blanket
    • Blackbeard of Perranporth
    • By Blackbeard of Perranporth 10th Jul 18, 1:41 PM
    • 5,188 Posts
    • 31,146 Thanks
    Blackbeard of Perranporth
    Hoss Gards. Live!
    AWESUM.

More tomorrow.
    Commemorate Celebrate Inspire
    #RAF100 A century of service!
    • DundeeDoll
    • By DundeeDoll 10th Jul 18, 4:41 PM
    • 3,221 Posts
    • 36,330 Thanks
    DundeeDoll
    What happens when your boss tells you very late in the day you are going to a conference in newcastle and your dd2 has picked you up from hartlepool 2 days previous so you still have your return ticket unused?
    1) yesterday found a single first class was cheaper than second class. So now sitting in first class.
    2) great annual review with boss. She had to bring her puppy into work as her dd is away for the week. i suggested we walk the dog round the arboretum while discussing annual progress. excellent discussion.
    3) then trip to dental school. I was sadly right - they can do nothing with my teeth. however, a small amount of decay in a barely erupted molar was detected so i am being referred to surgery. hopefully this will be preemptive and a smaller (and less risky to the nerve) job than if i had waited for it to hurt. so although orthodontist apologetic for wasting my time i do not feel it was wasted at all.
    4) home just as dd1 and dd2 setting out. the house to myself - bliss. delicious lunch, some much needed housework and packing
    5) will be staying 2 nights in newcastle so get to see the footie. eeeeekkkkkk
    For 2018 be kind, be courageous, and never ever eat pears
    • mhagster
    • By mhagster 10th Jul 18, 7:05 PM
    • 2,992 Posts
    • 35,010 Thanks
    mhagster
    Hello. All is quiet in my house.

My sleeping pattern is all over the place. More so than usual. I don't mind waking at 4.30-5ish...I do mind waking at 2 am. Managed to get back to sleep but felt blah when I got up.

Nice dog walk. Though had to retrace steps as we lost a shoe! Luckily it was found.

Went to dentist. Left in plenty time to return something to a friend but they weren't in, so left it in a hiding place and texted them. Parked at supermarket and walked downhill into town. Very nice new dentist and he was pleased with my teeth so I was pleased with that. And all free. Hurrah NHS

Nipped through town , went into the wee charity shop I've discovered and got a jumper from next , a cardi/wrap thing from monsoon and a pair of brand new jeans from Dorothy P all for £4. Then into M&S for some RTC carrot cake.

Met a friend in town so had a lovely chat with her.

OH's best friends daughter whom I'm 'auntie ' to popped in this afternoon. So we had a lovely chat and then I'd better go, or mum will be wondering where I am! We looked through an album of photos of when her dad and my OH were boys/ young men! Much laughter.

Made a kind of chilli beef. The intention had been to marinade it earlier but that hadn't happened so it became a chilli with baked beans instead of kidney. Was quite tasty.

Got a letter from stupid pension company. Stating that ( what they thought was my actual complaint) they'd been unable to resolve the problem in first 4 weeks, they now have a further 4 weeks and then I can involve ombudsman. It's for such a piddling amount but it's the principle and my wish for others newly bereaved not to have to deal with.
    Sigh!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

153Posts Today

1,494Users online

Martin's Twitter