Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • DundeeDoll
    • By DundeeDoll 18th Jul 17, 11:34 AM
    • 3,352Posts
    • 37,921Thanks
    DundeeDoll
    5 OS pleasures in your day today - part 3
    • 18th Jul 17, 11:34 AM
    5 OS pleasures in your day today - part 3 18th Jul 17 at 11:34 AM
    Ok I'm diving in as I've noticed several of us have lost posts we thought had posted, and there now seems to be a serious risk of losing the whole thread. So thanks for the heads up Karcher. (and i sympathise Frith - i too like to nip back)

I've revisited the first thread of our part 2, posted 28th October 2009. It said:
    Time for a shiny new thread The old one had got to 4500 odd posts which amounts to 22,500 OS pleasures (at least) It's so good to know that the OS life can be so rewarding.

I'll kick off the new thread.

1) Homemade bread and marmalade for breakfast.

2) A walk over the Malvern Hills to blow away the cobwebs.

3) Drying the washing outside- still, in October.

4) Watching mydaughter making a game out of sweeping the leaves with her friends.

5) The prospect of collecting a big order of meat from the butcher this morning and having my freezer full for less.
    Originally posted by thriftlady
    Part 2 went on considerably longer so many many more pleasures. And of course life stories shared, support given, tears of sorrow and joy shed. Part 2 I shall miss you, but here's to part 3.
    Last edited by DundeeDoll; 18-07-2017 at 11:40 AM.
Page 171
    • house elf
    • By house elf 4th Jul 18, 5:41 AM
    • 843 Posts
    • 11,160 Thanks
    house elf
    Morning All

I too love a cup of tea in the heat. The kids at school think itís daft! I just point out that I have lived in, or visited many hot countries where they serve little glasses of hot sweet tea.......Suggests to me there has got to be something in it

Yesterday

1. Told to stay in my room all day, coz CEO of Trust was visiting and they did not think she would approve of my hair.

2. Making progress with big task.

3. IKEA again. Had Moroccan Chicken for tea.

4. IKEA Kitchen plan. Very reasonable compared to posh kitchen designers. (Hoping for an EBay bargain though ).

5. Home and fell into bed.

Being let out to visit another school today. Have a lovely day
    Synchro Mums - 'Changing the world one sequin at a time' Lady GaGa
    'We have more in common than that which divides us.' Jo Cox
    • villagelife
    • By villagelife 4th Jul 18, 6:38 AM
    • 1,521 Posts
    • 16,894 Thanks
    villagelife
    1. Enjoying walk and the gate, standing in the field with no fence, makes me smile when I walk past it.

2. Conversation with my manager at work. They took on board what I've said.

3. Watered the garden with a new hose pipe. It all fitted togethrwell.

4. Yea from freezer. All had something different.

5. Watched the football.
    • Hopeless Case
    • By Hopeless Case 4th Jul 18, 7:24 AM
    • 885 Posts
    • 5,283 Thanks
    Hopeless Case
    1) A nice walk last night after 8.30 when we had a nice cooling breeze.

2) A conversation with a 4 year old about unicorns!

3) Giving quite a lot of my home made preserves/pickles/chutneys to our 86 year old pal from the allotment so I don't have to move then when we go.

4) Giving some of this years redcurrant crop to Cookie's mum as I've enough redcurrant jelly to last me 5 years on the shelf already.

5) Tea, oh the glory of a cuppa even when it's boiling outside always makes my world a better place.
    Originally posted by MrsLurcherwalker
    100% this

I think the footie was 1, 2, 3 4 and 5 of my pleasures yesterday - once the match was over, that is! The late goal, extra time, realisation of another penalty shoot out and the saved penalty were 1,2,3 and 4 of the worst bits Shattered today!!

A cooler night, which was lovely

OH had his first full day driving and at work, one of our customers said he looked so much better then before the stents which is wonderful And he got through the whole England match with no chest pain

Dwarf sunflowers are out and lovely, courgettes coming thick and fast
    Nov GC £80.34/£200
    NSD target: Nov 1/15
    Bring Your Lunch to Work Target Nov 1/15
    £1 a day: Nov £36.61/£45
    Tesco CC Aug 18 £10,151.56 £9950.56 0% 30mnths, First Direct CC Aug 18 £4321.80 £3968.77 0% til Feb 20
    • Skint yet Again
    • By Skint yet Again 4th Jul 18, 7:33 AM
    • 3,388 Posts
    • 19,040 Thanks
    Skint yet Again
    1. Have enjoyed catching up with your pleasures. Frith I am glad the hens are settling in well. MHags I know I shouldn't laugh but that naughty laddie Haggis !! fancy losing his shoes and eating frozen sausages

2. Life is going on. Missing DM dreadfully. DF continues to recover from life threatening sepsis

3. Theatre staff in local hospital singing happy birthday to me before sedating me for procedure. They were lovely and could tell I was scared to death so were very kind. Thankfully all over now and will wait 3-4 weeks for results of biopsies

4. Some lovely puppy walks. Lots of wildlife, shrews/voles - not sure which but very small and fast ! Squirrels and birds and butterflies. Fish and baby fluffy birds at local pond and even a heron. Puppy paddling in the sea and paddling pool on patio and crunching ice cubes trying to keep her cool in this awful hot weather

5. Get well messages from friends and being treated to lunch out
    Balance 0% credit card to pay £1360 £1310 £1210 £1160 £1110 £1060
    • LaineyT
    • By LaineyT 4th Jul 18, 8:22 AM
    • 2,492 Posts
    • 31,224 Thanks
    LaineyT
    Tuesday pleasures,

Capt S dealing with a wasps nest with his face covered by horse girlies spare fly mask, sensible but it was the floppy ear pieces that had me in stitches and reaching for my phone camera

Met up with friend for a lunch, enjoyed my salad but seriously coveted the fresh fruit roulade being enjoyed by couple at next table.

Late to the yard but it was pleasantly busy so caught up with some of the other owners.

The football, oh my, heart rate up and threats to go out to garden if it went to a penalty shoot out, it did and I didnít

Stayed up later than usual as adrenaline meant wouldnít sleep so sat outside for a while to watch the moths and bats do their thing.
    • VJsmum
    • By VJsmum 4th Jul 18, 10:09 AM
    • 5,370 Posts
    • 79,047 Thanks
    VJsmum
    Hi Skint nice to 'see' you - glad you and yours are on the road to recovery. I know what you mean about your mum - I literally just this minute picked up the phone book and a piece of paper with dad's writing on dropped out. Brought a sudden tear..

Pleasures for yesterday

1. FN (Favourite Niece - yes, FB people, for that is she) got a 1st!! Sooo proud of her, she didn't have the easiest of starts and doesn't always get it easy now.
    2. Free lunch was nice - they had vegan GF wraps, which were delicious. i am neither vegan nor GF (though i do try to avoid it) but will always have something like this if it's on offer.
    3. the workshop was a bit 'meh' but still quite interesting with snippets of usefulness. Not least that the issues and barriers I face are faced by all the other
    4. Really beautiful walks to the station and through London. Gorgeous warm sunshine - I can't get enough of it. Well, i guess i can as i asked DS to pick me up from the train
    5. The football - i am not really a follower, we usually support the Welsh in our house who, obviously, aren't there. But it was on in the background and i got interested due to the antics of the columbians. They deserved to lose - cheating scumbags.

Have a good day all - excitingly, I am having my oven cleaned.
    Last edited by VJsmum; 04-07-2018 at 11:23 AM.
    You're out with a friend in the capital, I'm a thousand leagues under the sea
    You're hovering worriedly over your eggs, And I'm pondering trees
    I'm wandering long, And I'm pondering trees
    For you and me
    Guy Garvey
    • ampersand
    • By ampersand 4th Jul 18, 11:59 AM
    • 8,470 Posts
    • 33,043 Thanks
    ampersand
    & shouldn't be here, but Lainey: WASPS' NEST is a real alert.
    Delayed anaphylactic shock still kicked in for &. Was v.lucky in Dr knowing about this. It's the 3rd time & has been lucky that a field of interest in one of our Drs has really saved & from much worse. Prev. was scombroid poisoning - from rapeseed pollen, apparently, and nothing to do with tuna., Other was [apparently] spider bite, in dark shed.
    Drs Google and Wiki can do a certain amount, but - as Dr said - those who need urgent appointments are those who often delay them, for best of reasons - reluctant to bother anyone, save resources, pressure on surgery etc.etc.
    Anyway, must continue Spits prep.
    & is still on high dose meds for another few days. No longer red/white welts and swellings on arms and only 1 lip sting still discernible, barely.
    I now know that reaction to wasp venom changes over lifetime and successive sting episodes.
    PLEASE, EVERYONE, BE CAREFUL.
    Last edited by ampersand; 04-07-2018 at 12:03 PM.
    CAP[UK]for FREE EXPERT DEBT&BUDGET HELP:01274 760720, freephone0800 328 0006
    'People don't want much. They want: "Someone to love, somewhere to live, somewhere to work and something to hope for."
    Norman Kirk, NZLP- Prime Minister, 1972
    ***JE SUIS CHARLIE***
    'It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere' FranÁois-Marie AROUET

• MrsLurcherwalker
    • By MrsLurcherwalker 4th Jul 18, 12:06 PM
    • 12,797 Posts
    • 176,921 Thanks
    MrsLurcherwalker
    1) We've got Maisie doggie for the day and she's laying by my feet!

2) I've had my hair cut and no longer feel like a midsummer haystack.

3) Picked Runner beans, climbing French beans and 'Ferrari' fine beans from the garden and in good quantity too this morning.

4) Cooler today, thank goodness.

5) 2 doggies to walk this afternoon as we'll pick Cookie up from the pub and take her when we take Maisie, they get on really well together, always nice to have a lead each!
    Thumpers mum was right - if you can't find anything nice to say don't say anything at all!
    • Blackbeard of Perranporth
    • By Blackbeard of Perranporth 4th Jul 18, 12:11 PM
    • 5,536 Posts
    • 32,729 Thanks
    Blackbeard of Perranporth
    Cinema Newsreel on Faded film
    VVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVV

4 Big Sis tried to ring during the football with some news. It took some time to answer! See above. She had the telephone thrown down on her ten times! Never call BoP during the football! Ever! It was good news, And yous all will knows about it soon! No more talk this weak of Ikea and meat balls and whatever. That is cardbored furniture and not proper foods!

3 Wobbleades were consumed! Prawn Grizzles were for tea. Tad hot as I over splashed with the chilli flakes! BoPsie had proper wine from NZ, NZ &!

2 Nite BoP is inn the gym trimming!

Having one today. So BoP gets his five yearly bum test. Tries to book inn Bristol. Cannot do as BoP has Jenny! Connected technology! How comes you find I has an ICD? IT? Connected! Not!

Columbian players rough tactics and play acting is just like their coffee. Nasty, bitter and lives a sour
    taste in your mouth.
    Cardiac Arrest - Electrical - Patient unconscious! Heart Attack - Plumbing - Patient conscious!
    Defibrillators Cannot Cure a Heart Attack!
    • Hopeless Case
    • By Hopeless Case 4th Jul 18, 1:39 PM
    • 885 Posts
    • 5,283 Thanks
    Hopeless Case
    Hi Skint nice to 'see' you - glad you and yours are on the road to recovery. I know what you mean about your mum - I literally just this minute picked up the phone book and a piece of paper with dad's writing on dropped out. Brought a sudden tear..

Pleasures for yesterday

1. FN (Favourite Niece - yes, FB people, for that is she) got a 1st!! Sooo proud of her, she didn't have the easiest of starts and doesn't always get it easy now.
    2. Free lunch was nice - they had vegan GF wraps, which were delicious. i am neither vegan nor GF (though i do try to avoid it) but will always have something like this if it's on offer.
    3. the workshop was a bit 'meh' but still quite interesting with snippets of usefulness. Not least that the issues and barriers I face are faced by all the other
    4. Really beautiful walks to the station and through London. Gorgeous warm sunshine - I can't get enough of it. Well, i guess i can as i asked DS to pick me up from the train
    5. The football - i am not really a follower, we usually support the Welsh in our house who, obviously, aren't there. But it was on in the background and i got interested due to the antics of the columbians. They deserved to lose - cheating scumbags.

Have a good day all - excitingly, I am having my oven cleaned.
    Originally posted by VJsmum
    Think this is waaay off OS-topic so apologies, but I was a bit taken aback when people on a Spanish speaking Facebook page I go on were saying that the refereeing was awful - and FIFA owe the Colombians an apology!! I know I'm biased but was genuinely taken aback - I had a google and saw this:

http://www.espn.com/soccer/fifa-world-cup/story/3556257/colombia-coach-jose-pekerman-accuses-england-players-of-faking-fouls?platform=amp

Now to be fair England did make a meal of some of the fouls, but seeing as Colombia's game plan in the first half seemed to be to rile them up, they richly deserved it IMO, and Colombia got away with plenty, so tough luck and hard cheese
    Nov GC £80.34/£200
    Tesco CC Aug 18 £10,151.56 £9950.56 0% 30mnths, First Direct CC Aug 18 £4321.80 £3968.77 0% til Feb 20
    • mhagster
    • By mhagster 4th Jul 18, 8:19 PM
    • 3,094 Posts
    • 36,262 Thanks
    mhagster
    Wednesday pleasures

Up early with a jetlagged child but managed to get back to sleep.

Nice dog walk though we lost a shoe! Might find it in October when the grass dies back! But we have a spare pair!

Went to T for some fruit and picked up stuff for mum. Did her ironing, hoovering and washed floors.

Nice lunch of salads and crusty bread.

Too hot for me outside this afternoon so read and may have snoozed!

Jam sandwich for my tea!

Nice chat with niece. ' I don't understand why you find thus hot...you lived in Australia! ' .....er, it was too hot there too !
    • DundeeDoll
    • By DundeeDoll 4th Jul 18, 8:35 PM
    • 3,352 Posts
    • 37,921 Thanks
    DundeeDoll
    1)
    5) Tea, oh the glory of a cuppa even when it's boiling outside always makes my world a better place.
    Originally posted by MrsLurcherwalker
    me too. put the kettle on :-)
    1) up at 6:15 for FFO. Squats, burpees and pressups interspersed with running 200m with an 8kg kettle bell.
    2) then lift to work, porridge, shower and a pint of tea
    3) boss brought in her darling new puppy.
    4) treated myself to an icecream on the way home from work.
    5) mrpiano cooking supper. didn't sleep well last night so early night tonight.
    For 2018 be kind, be courageous, and never ever eat pears
    • house elf
    • By house elf 5th Jul 18, 5:20 AM
    • 843 Posts
    • 11,160 Thanks
    house elf
    Good Morning,

Lovely and cool sitting in the garden.

Yesterday

1. Gentle start to the day, as went to visit a school from home. It is out in the countryside, so journey was beautiful. (Wish I could do that every day). Perfect for our student, and the family liked it.

2. Saw an ex student. He is thriving and so tall! Had a hug and a bit of a moment

3. Another good meeting in the afternoon.

4. Managed to get some bits of makeup to send out to DD with her friend who is visiting her at the weekend.

5. Fajitas for tea were not my best effort, but we had Magnums afterwards.

Have a lovely day

Today will be a bit different, cos I am at a course in Leicester.
    Synchro Mums - 'Changing the world one sequin at a time' Lady GaGa
    'We have more in common than that which divides us.' Jo Cox
    • villagelife
    • By villagelife 5th Jul 18, 6:40 AM
    • 1,521 Posts
    • 16,894 Thanks
    villagelife
    1. Had a slightly longer chat than our usual hello to someone I walk past most mornings I walk to the bus. Also stroked her dog for longer than normal.

2. Saw some lovely patients at work. Mainly cheerful and some very talkative children. I love their outlook on life and how they look at things.

3. Managed to get everything done that I had wanted to do which rarely happens especially on a Wednesday.

4. Walked home and stood and admired the view for a while.

5. Peaceful evening as spent some time in the garden, quick tidy up in the house and a quick snooze. Everyone else was out so an early night and read my book.

6. DH texted me to email a form to someone as he couldn't do it and I managed it. My way was easier than his solution.
    • Hopeless Case
    • By Hopeless Case 5th Jul 18, 6:57 AM
    • 885 Posts
    • 5,283 Thanks
    Hopeless Case
    Morning, another lovely day but I'm struggling a bit, still really tired!

- Nice charity shop bargains yesterday, lovely skirt (still with label on) and 6 dinner plates

- Chemist accepted OH's prescription prepayt, even though I don't have a card or letter yet just a number in an email. Phew, would have been very, very pricey otherwise!!

- Day lilies out now, lovely

- Sky 'died' yesterday at 10pm precisely . £83.50 saved a month

- My purple basil plants (still 'seedlings' really even though I sowed them in a month before the monster courgettes!) are finally big enough for me to use a couple of leaves.

- I won some lemon basil seeds so I'll try those next year and hopefully they'll be more vigorous
    Nov GC £80.34/£200
    • LaineyT
    • By LaineyT 5th Jul 18, 8:18 AM
    • 2,492 Posts
    • 31,224 Thanks
    LaineyT
    Wednesday pleasures,

Our lovely postlady caught me chatting to the birds as I filled up the feeders, she was very polite and just smiled.

One of my fellow OStylers came to visit horse girlie, a dedicated animal lover so a real kindred spirit. Pony was well behaved and enjoyed a bath whilst being fed parsnips and apples, itís a tough life eh.

Afternoon in the garden, pleasant in the shade and little dog enjoyed her paddling pool.

Dead headed climbing rose and otherwise pottered, anticipate the first tomato will be ready by the weekend.

Pork kebabs and couscous for tea, no oven on thankfully.
    • VJsmum
    • By VJsmum 5th Jul 18, 10:50 AM
    • 5,370 Posts
    • 79,047 Thanks
    VJsmum
    Morning all - just love waking up to blue sky and sunshine.

Pleasures for yesterday

1. Had my oven professionally cleaned looks brand new and was worth every penny
    2. Lunch with friends - good to catch up. Had a gluten free vegan wrap - i'm on a roll
    3. Finished transcribing my longest interview - 4 more to go. Decided i didn't like one of the women (there were two on the tape) cos she kept butting in, despite my best endeavours to stop her
    4. Watched Poldark, all caught up now - poor doctor ennis
    5. Had christmas dinner for tea as it was just me here and i thought i'd use it up as it was (obviously) six months old now. it was luvverly

Have a good day all - postponed my visit to ICT until tomorrow as having hair cut and coloured this afternoon. The sunshine has made me quite blond so will be a shame to go darker but the roots are showing. To be fair, int this weather, the blonde will come through again...
    You're out with a friend in the capital, I'm a thousand leagues under the sea
    You're hovering worriedly over your eggs, And I'm pondering trees
    I'm wandering long, And I'm pondering trees
    For you and me
    Guy Garvey
    • Blackbeard of Perranporth
    • By Blackbeard of Perranporth 5th Jul 18, 12:06 PM
    • 5,536 Posts
    • 32,729 Thanks
    Blackbeard of Perranporth
    Look, I tells you what its not!
    V Booked into the gym refresh scam tonight. Has to keep up my appearances and things. Hard work staying beach ready this long!

4 Tea last night we had hot snorkers in a roll as well as cornet ice creams. Proper foods and good for you!

3 Back at the mill and teaching the grads. Real thoughts instead of carp theyíve had for years! See what happens when you get to the mill?

2 days now until glory.

Had one yesterday. Finally had to tell a shoveller to go and please himself elsewhere. That link inn thing had detected something awry! Well, whens yous inns with HR, yes you read that correctly, had notice that although millwright has bought another cloth manufactory downstream, one should always check afore sending them a bio! Made it easier in the end.

And theres more BoPiness tomorrow!
    Cardiac Arrest - Electrical - Patient unconscious! Heart Attack - Plumbing - Patient conscious!
    Defibrillators Cannot Cure a Heart Attack!
    • MrsLurcherwalker
    • By MrsLurcherwalker 5th Jul 18, 5:39 PM
    • 12,797 Posts
    • 176,921 Thanks
    MrsLurcherwalker
    1) Making the decision on new armchairs and going to the Swedish shop and actually buying them! no more waffling!

2) Giving my pal some bay leaves off the garden tree to dry for the winter.

3) I've already cooked supper while it was cooler this morning and only have a microwave reheat to do when it cools down this evening.

4) In anticipation, we're taking that Cookie dog walking this evening rather than frying her this afternoon, footpaths, lanes, down to the river for the breeze and hopefully home cooler.

5) Yet another container full of loganberries and of course.....many beans!
    Thumpers mum was right - if you can't find anything nice to say don't say anything at all!
    • mhagster
    • By mhagster 5th Jul 18, 9:40 PM
    • 3,094 Posts
    • 36,262 Thanks
    mhagster
    See how quickly I can type this before battery runs out!

Lovely day. Bit cooler though still warm.

Nice-ish dog walk.

Went bathroom shopping but didn't buy.

Had lunch with DD2

A bit of a garden sofa snooze.

GN came and is staying overnight . We went to our castle , had a play at the river. Re-created a photo with GN and DD2 from 4 years ago today .
    Was rather funny.

Nipped into T on way back and got some picnic stuff for tomorrow .

Very thankful to the NHS for all that they do and have done.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

94Posts Today

1,443Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @laurawithers84: @MartinSLewis Our school is going to use your book for our new finance fortnight for year 8 students. We thought we wou?

• RT @katiejane13uk: ????????IMPORTANT - CALLING ALL LEASEHOLDERS TO COMPLETE???????? @mhclg Leasehold Reform Consultation closes this month. This is the?

• Just sent a text about postgrad loans. My Swype text auto-corrected it to pothead loans. Does it know something I don't?

• Follow Martin