Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • DundeeDoll
    • By DundeeDoll 18th Jul 17, 11:34 AM
    • 3,205Posts
    • 36,153Thanks
    DundeeDoll
    5 OS pleasures in your day today - part 3
    • 18th Jul 17, 11:34 AM
    5 OS pleasures in your day today - part 3 18th Jul 17 at 11:34 AM
    Ok I'm diving in as I've noticed several of us have lost posts we thought had posted, and there now seems to be a serious risk of losing the whole thread. So thanks for the heads up Karcher. (and i sympathise Frith - i too like to nip back)

I've revisited the first thread of our part 2, posted 28th October 2009. It said:
    Time for a shiny new thread The old one had got to 4500 odd posts which amounts to 22,500 OS pleasures (at least) It's so good to know that the OS life can be so rewarding.

I'll kick off the new thread.

1) Homemade bread and marmalade for breakfast.

2) A walk over the Malvern Hills to blow away the cobwebs.

3) Drying the washing outside- still, in October.

4) Watching mydaughter making a game out of sweeping the leaves with her friends.

5) The prospect of collecting a big order of meat from the butcher this morning and having my freezer full for less.
    Originally posted by thriftlady
    Part 2 went on considerably longer so many many more pleasures. And of course life stories shared, support given, tears of sorrow and joy shed. Part 2 I shall miss you, but here's to part 3.
    Last edited by DundeeDoll; 18-07-2017 at 11:40 AM.
Page 149
    • mhagster
    • By mhagster 16th May 18, 6:35 PM
    • 2,937 Posts
    • 34,321 Thanks
    mhagster
    Good evening from the garden. Another day most gorgeous.

Up far too early as visitor was leaving! He's gone , safe travels and adventures and all that!

Lovely walk with H & both his ladies! He truly loves his girlfriend.
    Cows in both the fields next to where we walk.

Painted a wooden box that I'd discovered at mums . I think my dad would have made it many years ago. It's now a nice shade of yellow.

Son passed his driving test. Amongst all the hurrahs we feel slightly deflated by the insurance quotes! Shockingly high!

In and out of garden.

We had a celebratory take away for tea, cheaper than going out...though obviously more expensive than from the fridge! But very nice and eaten in the garden.

Lying like a lazy thing on my garden sofa, feeling the warmth of the sun ( and not baking in an Australian way) and listening to the birds singing. And not a noisy parrot to be heard....though I do miss my noisy parrots!
    • LaineyT
    • By LaineyT 16th May 18, 8:42 PM
    • 2,082 Posts
    • 25,597 Thanks
    LaineyT
    Many congrats to Master Mhags and thank you for information, did try to PM thanks but your mailbox is full x
    • Frith
    • By Frith 16th May 18, 10:07 PM
    • 4,474 Posts
    • 42,453 Thanks
    Frith
    Well done to young Mhags! It would be £1000 to insure bigger son now and £3400 if he passed his test...

Pleasures for today (Wednesday).

1) Not a bad sleep. Smaller son did not go to school as he has a nasty cold so I needn't have set the alarm.

2) Hens well.

3) Got most jobs done around the house this morning.

4) Worked at school this afternoon.

5) Bigger son (not home yet) is having a lovely day. Met up with his friends for chips and they're now in the pub having games of pool.

6) Got clothes that haven't fit me for years out of the airing cupboard! Also washed, dried and ironed three "new" tops from the charity shops yesterday. Don't think I've ever had so many changes of clothing.

7) Watched 24 Hours in A and E (wipes eyes)
    Odd fact: the inventor of nominative determinism was called Trevor Nominative - Determinism. :-)
    • house elf
    • By house elf 17th May 18, 5:52 AM
    • 711 Posts
    • 9,691 Thanks
    house elf
    Good Morning Folks,

Wednesday

1. School had bought in supply staff when they didnít need to, so I was given a bonus admin day.

2. I have entered one of my special students into a competition. hope she wins.

3. Good meeting with outside agency. Hoping we have found the key to helping a troubled student.

4. Comp tickets to a play. The music was lovely, but the subject matter was hard work. DH wonít forgive me for this one for a while.

5. Escape to the Chateau DIY before bed, as an antedote to the play.

Have a lovely day
    Synchro Mums - 'Changing the world one sequin at a time' Lady GaGa
    'We have more in common than that which divides us.' Jo Cox
    • LaineyT
    • By LaineyT 17th May 18, 7:31 AM
    • 2,082 Posts
    • 25,597 Thanks
    LaineyT
    Wednesday pleasures,

Much colder after a few warm, sunny days so pleasure of jumper, jeans and socks.

Made some soup from the remains of the Sunday roast as we didnít fancy salad for lunch.

All about the birds, heard a cuckoo for the first time in years. The juvenile sparrow hawk made another appearance in the garden, this time sitting on the front lawn, beautiful but deadly

Started a new book by K Slaughter, bit violent for me ( says the woman who watches GOT ) but good story.

Wrapped myself in blanket to watch Ď Love in the Countryside Ď bbbrr.
    • VJsmum
    • By VJsmum 17th May 18, 10:43 AM
    • 5,139 Posts
    • 75,614 Thanks
    VJsmum
    Morning all - a train post. on the way to ICT on a beautiful sunny morning.

Pleasures for Wednesday

1. Begg for lunch with leftover homemade guacamole. Yum
    2. Left over chicken curries for tea - also yum.
    3. Yoga - the wednesday evening class is quite a tough one. But my forward folds are more ... foldy even if my balance is still not great. Once warmed up I can touch my toes with ease.
    4. Work was worky, but I am getting through the marking and assignment writing. I hope to finish both on this journey.
    5. OH and I watched the third 'innocent'. We can't watch the final one tonight so will have to try to avoid spoilers

Off to the remastered Dambusters at the cinema tonight - I think it's going to be fab and am looking forward to it muchly
    You're out with a friend in the capital, I'm a thousand leagues under the sea
    You're hovering worriedly over your eggs, And I'm pondering trees
    I'm wandering long, And I'm pondering trees
    For you and me
    Guy Garvey
    • Blackbeard of Perranporth
    • By Blackbeard of Perranporth 17th May 18, 12:05 PM
    • 5,037 Posts
    • 30,329 Thanks
    Blackbeard of Perranporth
    Just thinking
    V I see the Scampton Wallahs are dancing again. No more needs to be said, I was south of Lincoln!

4 Tea last eve was pizza topped with mushrooms and onion. BoPsie of pennies has gone and got herself full time again. Good on the lass! As shes not paid until end of June, please think of her funds and pass wobbleade chits on. Otherwise she does not eat! Raffles is capable of feeding himself. As for my lunch box! Same as ever!

3 IT downgrades at the mill has affected all log inns and things. BoPiness post from yesterday is nowhere. Normal service resumed. Fortunately inn the boiler room, we have only shovels and coal to move. It was fixed until Ö Think I will damp down the fires.

2 Have a new stoker possible to interview yesterday. Spare shovel ready in case!
    AprŤs moi le deluge. More never came back.

In Hot Springs, Virginia at the same time a conference was being held on agricultural production and in balances!
    Commemorate Celebrate Inspire
    #RAF100 A century of service!
    • MrsLurcherwalker
    • By MrsLurcherwalker 17th May 18, 3:31 PM
    • 11,672 Posts
    • 162,328 Thanks
    MrsLurcherwalker
    1) I slept soundly from 9.30 last night to 7.15 this morning for the first time in an age.

2) Good sort of the store room has produced lots of things to sell at the boot fair on Sunday.

3)I found just the right present for a 5 year old to be which is a set of vehicle stamps and a stamp pad in two colours to stamp them with, it also has coloured pencils in and this one is into his crafts big time. It's a Melissa and Doug set so nice quality too.

4) DD2 has been offered the chance of a partnership in her Medical practice which I think she's going to take, I'm so proud of what she's done with her life, she's a grafter and deserves everything she earns.

5) Sorted out all the heavy winter clothes in the wardrobe and packed them into boxes for the warmer weather, not so much in there now and hopefully I shall be able to find the things I'm looking for now!
    Thumpers mum was right - if you can't find anything nice to say don't say anything at all!
    • mhagster
    • By mhagster 17th May 18, 10:39 PM
    • 2,937 Posts
    • 34,321 Thanks
    mhagster
    Bedtime here.
    Busy day. Lovely walk first thing with Haggis & his ladies.

Then back to the old insure your son grindstone . So it seems as my car is the 'sporty' model it's overly (stupidly) expensive. So we've bought boyo a car and insurance is much more affordable...he is chuffed. I'm more skint than I was at the start of the day but am fortunate that I can afford to do it & his dad would agree. Picture the scene...looking under bonnet...at what we don't know but the guy said have a look under bonnet! Me...I haven't a clue. Son...me neither, I just know about bikes! Shuts bonnet! He'll pick it up along the way! Should get it by next weekend. It's to be MOTd

Had a look at kitchens. I knew what I wanted but hadn't seen it yet, until today just need to see how much that's going to cost! Met an old neighbour ( who called me by my Sunday name that I just don't like and the kids know I hate it so they think it's hilarious when I'm called it) chat with her and then my friend pulled in next to us so chatted with her too! See, I always meet people I know.

Celebratory ice cream after buying a car! Added more flavours to my 50 for 50 list.

Went via college so DD2 has an unconditional for August start.

Then into my mothers & sat in back garden for about half an hour. Got my extension cable back...she took it 8 years ago when we moved! Can now cut all my grass!

Home! Sat / snoozed on garden sofa.

Huge chat with friend on phone. Always much to chat about.

Started another library book.
    • Frith
    • By Frith 17th May 18, 11:07 PM
    • 4,474 Posts
    • 42,453 Thanks
    Frith
    Quick pleasures for today (Thursday).

1) Smaller son back to school and his cold is a lot better.

2) Hens well.

3) Wore my new charity shop top to work.

4) Work went OK. Was on my feet (literally) from 8.30-11.30 then 1-3.30. Does give me a bit of backache.

5) Saw lots of staff members I hadn't seen for a year. One is bringing me in some garden chairs tomorrow!

6) Had a couple of games of football with smaller son.

7) Watched Ambulance then First Dates. Just trying to stay awake now in case bigger son needs a lift home (he does have his bike with him).
    Odd fact: the inventor of nominative determinism was called Trevor Nominative - Determinism. :-)
    • house elf
    • By house elf 18th May 18, 6:21 AM
    • 711 Posts
    • 9,691 Thanks
    house elf
    Good Morning,

Another sunny day

Thursday

1. Arrived at work early, as no traffic. (?)

2. Allotment day in the sunshine. Got some of the students folders up to date.

3. Made plaster of paris garden gnomes. Think only one will work. Will reveal him today!

4. More EBay parcels sent off.

5. EBay Empire relocated to DD bedroom while she is away.

Have a lovely day
    Synchro Mums - 'Changing the world one sequin at a time' Lady GaGa
    'We have more in common than that which divides us.' Jo Cox
    • LaineyT
    • By LaineyT 18th May 18, 9:10 AM
    • 2,082 Posts
    • 25,597 Thanks
    LaineyT
    Thursday pleasures,

Up early and at the yard by just gone 8, itís so nice to have a route that avoids any kind of commuter traffic.

Fell off girlie, not exactly a pleasure but apart from being stiff and sore no damage done. A combination of spring grass and high spirits meant a very feisty pony but had to giggle at her horror when she realised I was no longer on board!

The treat of going out for lunch, found a warm spot in the sheltered pub garden so sat outside. The spaniel came too and was quietly fed chips under the table, she loves eating out

Thanks to above no evening meal for me to cook

Bed at 10pm, took a couple of Nytol and slept right through.
    • VJsmum
    • By VJsmum 18th May 18, 11:08 AM
    • 5,139 Posts
    • 75,614 Thanks
    VJsmum
    Morning all from bright and sunny - and warmer outside than in - ICT

Thursday pleasures

1. Train journey ok - I 'adopted' a fairly elderly american man who was visiting the railway. deposited him on the platform having sorted him out and helped with accommodation recommendations.
    2. Did a bit of work, including finishing the marking
    3. Walk to station was pleasant in the sunshine
    4. food was good today - even though a fast day. Chocolate chia pudding with berries for brekkie, soup with rice cakes and a smear of goats cheese for lunch and Jack Monroe's veggie tagine for tea. Wasn't really hungry at all and in total about 700 calories
    5. Went to the Dambusters - was good to see it on the big screen and always happy to support the local, independent cinema

Have a good day all - having my first alcohol in a month tonight
    You're out with a friend in the capital, I'm a thousand leagues under the sea
    You're hovering worriedly over your eggs, And I'm pondering trees
    I'm wandering long, And I'm pondering trees
    For you and me
    Guy Garvey
    • Blackbeard of Perranporth
    • By Blackbeard of Perranporth 18th May 18, 12:06 PM
    • 5,037 Posts
    • 30,329 Thanks
    Blackbeard of Perranporth
    Plenty of Plenty today
    Use rule of BoP number 16. On yer bike lad!

V Down at the mill again with the usual packed lunch box. Is FryDay so the weakened is upon again. Shall get bladdered, that way I will miss some event!

4 New mill next door! Downstream, and you know what that means. Damn their waters! First boss rule of thumb. Never turn up to work in a flash car as yous paid too much. Seems their boss has enough bling. Avoid!

3 Proper cricket on box of ogle tonight. Wobbleades shall be purchased. Please think of BoPsie as shes not paid again until end of June, if shes not get any money, she cant have any pudding!

2 This morning we had a snorker and best back for breakfast. And it was not even Satday either. Mushrooms and poached egg on toast was also had! Raffles was also fed!

In the mirror you only see what others see!
    Commemorate Celebrate Inspire
    #RAF100 A century of service!
    • MrsLurcherwalker
    • By MrsLurcherwalker 18th May 18, 4:05 PM
    • 11,672 Posts
    • 162,328 Thanks
    MrsLurcherwalker
    1) A very naughty bourbon biscuit that I had with my tea this afternoon, it's been such a long time since I ate one I'd forgotten how yummy they are! I stopped at 1 mind!

2) A baby starling in amongst the 'pack' doing the lawn this morning, not quite got the hang of beak in the grass but was running round chasing flies and jumping up just like a kitten chases butterflies, so cute!

3) Lovely walk in the sun this afternoon with Cookie, down across the river fields and along the coastal paths then back to the village via a lovely tree lined avenue. Cookie has been clipped and was sporting a new bright red collar with diamente bows on it. Biggest giggle was imagining how that must have looked when He Who Knows walked her this morning, he's 6ft 4, grizzled, bearded and weatherbeaten from all his time out in the plots!

4) We got some new underbed storage boxes and all my winter gear is now stowed away neatly and my wardrobe is no longer crowded.

5) The oxeye daisies in the garden are beginning to open their eyes, my favourite flowers at this time of year, I love to see huge swathes of them when we drive down the motorways, beautiful.
    Thumpers mum was right - if you can't find anything nice to say don't say anything at all!
    • Flo61
    • By Flo61 18th May 18, 4:55 PM
    • 26 Posts
    • 275 Thanks
    Flo61
    Think DH is seeing counsellor.

Dug up half dead shrub in front garden.

Filled trough ready for planting salad/veg in back garden.

Watching the job centre on ch 4 catchup.

Daughter!!!8217;s final day at uni after four years.
    • Purple kitten
    • By Purple kitten 18th May 18, 5:18 PM
    • 1,841 Posts
    • 20,325 Thanks
    Purple kitten
    A mix for both yesterday and today:
    I wasn!!!8217;t able to login while away but did read both your pleasures and sadness.

1 We have been in the welsh lands for a lovely breakaway, the great news our little animal who was given 2 days to live, 8 weeks ago is going strong and we are very happy.
    2 We had an amazing time and amazing weather for 2 dodgy days we explored and travelled to Brecon and explored.
    3 There were birthdays and anniversaries celebrated.
    4 We walked, explored, looked up all sorts of bugs, butterflies and plants every day.
    5 Picked up a pre loved antique bracelet which is stunning, has a lot of meaning to it and will be treasured. I do admit I needed a tea and talking into it because of its price but its the one.
    6 It is now gone midnight, and 2 loads of washing are hanging on the line working on the principle that it will be dry by the time we crawl out of bed.
    7 nice to sleep in our own bed.
    8 Up and set to on the gardens jungle, strimmed and scalped all and gathered up with animals playing in the cut grass.
    9 Various washing loads achieved and hung out.
    10 Ran out of steam and motivation made a cuppa, letting rush hour pass before commuting to the vets for the animals medicines. It is an hour each way and on a friday the traffic is always interesting.
    11 Already caught up with Dads best mate and arranged to met him next week, my aunt and uncle and DB not bad..
    Last edited by Purple kitten; 18-05-2018 at 5:20 PM.
    • mhagster
    • By mhagster 18th May 18, 7:59 PM
    • 2,937 Posts
    • 34,321 Thanks
    mhagster
    Another beautiful day here in my part of Scotland.

Doggy walk first thing. Just with Haggis old girl.

Went to slimming club. Lost a pound. Met a friend , had a good catch up with her.

Made lemon and elderflower cupcakes and mini meringues for tomorrow.

Went to meet some friends for lunch at cafe at local castle. Drove half way and then walked through the woods. Nice catch up. Had half a sandwich and a nice cake. Then when we left bumped into my son and very wet dog, who'd been swimming in the river. They got a lift home.

Cut the grass and could reach the bits at the far end of garden now I had my extension cable.

Then sat in the garden and read my library book. May have dozed but DN phoned me and woke me up!

One dilemma solved as its no longer available! Not meant to be!

Plumber came to see about new boiler. Should be done in next few weeks.
    • Frith
    • By Frith 18th May 18, 10:59 PM
    • 4,474 Posts
    • 42,453 Thanks
    Frith
    Pleasures for today (Friday).

1) Not a bad sleep.

2) Hens well. Planted lettuce and radishes, watered and split some rhubarb to give to the lady that rents the allotment to me.

3) Arrived early at work because a teacher has given me three outside chairs. I didn't know what they would be like (deckchairs would have done) but they are very substantial wooden chairs that will lie back, and have green cushions!

4) Work went OK.

5) Took smaller son for a very much needed hair cut.

6) Sneaky McDs for their tea as bigger son was going out.

7) Watched lots of TV including Gogglebox.
    • LaineyT
    • By LaineyT 19th May 18, 8:29 AM
    • 2,082 Posts
    • 25,597 Thanks
    LaineyT
    Friday pleasures,

Achey and sore after horse girlie and I parted company the day before but got better as the day went on.

Over to see DN and she gave me a facial, have been suffering from painful sinuses the last few days so she worked her magic on my sore face.

Dropped into horsey town to pick up something from Mr Sparks and they were putting out the RTC items, somehow two fresh strawberry tarts found their way into my basket

Home and Capt S had changed the bed, so added pleasure of clean sheets to sink into.

There was still some light in the sky when headed up the stairs to Bedfordshire, we are hurtling towards summer solstice.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,556Posts Today

8,707Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin