Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • DundeeDoll
    • By DundeeDoll 18th Jul 17, 11:34 AM
    • 3,372Posts
    • 38,218Thanks
    DundeeDoll
    5 OS pleasures in your day today - part 3
    • 18th Jul 17, 11:34 AM
    5 OS pleasures in your day today - part 3 18th Jul 17 at 11:34 AM
    Ok I'm diving in as I've noticed several of us have lost posts we thought had posted, and there now seems to be a serious risk of losing the whole thread. So thanks for the heads up Karcher. (and i sympathise Frith - i too like to nip back)

I've revisited the first thread of our part 2, posted 28th October 2009. It said:
    Time for a shiny new thread The old one had got to 4500 odd posts which amounts to 22,500 OS pleasures (at least) It's so good to know that the OS life can be so rewarding.

I'll kick off the new thread.

1) Homemade bread and marmalade for breakfast.

2) A walk over the Malvern Hills to blow away the cobwebs.

3) Drying the washing outside- still, in October.

4) Watching mydaughter making a game out of sweeping the leaves with her friends.

5) The prospect of collecting a big order of meat from the butcher this morning and having my freezer full for less.
    Originally posted by thriftlady
    Part 2 went on considerably longer so many many more pleasures. And of course life stories shared, support given, tears of sorrow and joy shed. Part 2 I shall miss you, but here's to part 3.
    Last edited by DundeeDoll; 18-07-2017 at 11:40 AM.
Page 148
    • VJsmum
    • By VJsmum 14th May 18, 5:48 PM
    • 5,395 Posts
    • 79,376 Thanks
    VJsmum
    Art'noon all

DD - erm, leftover chocolate??? what is this strange phenomenon?

Pleasures for yesterday

1. Another busy, busy day - more washing, cleaned the floors and hoovered downstairs
    2. DD did upstairs.
    3. More marking - the pleasure is that it is nearly finished
    4. Beautiful blue sky and sunshine
    5. Had a bbq - that I, a mere woman, cooked all by myself. Without needing someone to fetch stuff, prepare stuff and bring beers. I did it all by myself.

And today

1. Walked into town and back in warm sunshine with more blue sky
    2. Finished the immediate marking batch
    3. No weight lost - the pleasure being that none was gained and that i could put on a pair of jeans that are really tight and that i wouldn't have been able to wear a couple of weeks ago . I had a bottle of beck's blue last night (no alcohol) and my weird rash has reappeared. So I think i am right in that i am allergic / intolerant to something in beer. I'm hoping its the malt / barley and not the yeast... but I fear...
    4. OH is cooking tea
    5. The laburnum trees - love a laburnum

Have a good evening all
    You're out with a friend in the capital, I'm a thousand leagues under the sea
    You're hovering worriedly over your eggs, And I'm pondering trees
    I'm wandering long, And I'm pondering trees
    For you and me
    Guy Garvey
    • mhagster
    • By mhagster 14th May 18, 6:17 PM
    • 3,126 Posts
    • 36,658 Thanks
    mhagster
    What a beautiful day it's been.

I now have clean bathrooms, clean floors, a hoovered staircase, a tidy shoe cupboard. Clean hats and scarves and gloves and hopeful that they can be put away for a while!

Had just sat down outside when my mother turned up unexpectedly. I find her negativity draining. Wondering when we are going back to restart declutter. Maybe by the end of the week.

Impromptu walk with Haggis and his old lady friend. They just happened to be passing. So we joined them.

Sat in garden with my huge hat on and read from cover to cover my Australian magazine DD had posted over.

Made quorn sausages and salad for tea. Sat in the garden and ate. Lovely.

Hurrah! The ironing pile is out of my room and back in the spare room! Shall just go and iron shortly.

Appointment with builder and architect first thing tomorrow and hopefully planning permission released next week.

Nice texts from DD1.

Oddest thing I've read today ' there's a cow loose on main drive' and various photos and postings of where it was now! It's been rounded up and returned to its field. Poor thing must have been terrified.
    • VJsmum
    • By VJsmum 14th May 18, 7:39 PM
    • 5,395 Posts
    • 79,376 Thanks
    VJsmum
    Had just sat down outside when my mother turned up unexpectedly. I find her negativity draining.
    Originally posted by mhagster
    Are you my sister in law, Mhags - cos your mother sounds like my MIL
    For you and me
    Guy Garvey
    • Frith
    • By Frith 14th May 18, 9:36 PM
    • 4,828 Posts
    • 45,663 Thanks
    Frith
    A sad day today. Only two hens ran to meet us this morning and there will only be two from now on. :-( It didn't seem right really, when I found her in the sleeping quarters and she was as big and fat and iridescently plumaged as always.

Pleasures for today:

1) Lost 4lbs.

2) Tasty meals today.

3) Worked as an invigilator which was fine but after 3 hours of standing, my back hurts a bit.

4) Septic tank has been emptied!

5) Will listen to whichever comedy show was on radio 4 this evening.
    Verschlimmbesserung
    • DundeeDoll
    • By DundeeDoll 14th May 18, 10:45 PM
    • 3,372 Posts
    • 38,218 Thanks
    DundeeDoll
    Art'noon all

DD - erm, leftover chocolate??? what is this strange phenomenon?
    Originally posted by VJsmum
    I know. And I think there;s still some more
    Sorry to read about your loss frith

Monday, never my favourite day, and yet
    1) gorgeous weather and a trot down to the dentist
    2) 11.21 and 2 free sensodyne toothpastes. They are small so I can take them in hand luggage, and they dont have sls to which i have deleloped an allergy
    3) lunch with a colleague who is retiring soon. She looked after me when I started 11 years ago at the medical school
    4) dd2 walked the boys to meet me from work
    5) after supper walked the boys up to mums to return Pyrex dish and sheathed knife
    For 2018 be kind, be courageous, and never ever eat pears
    • house elf
    • By house elf 15th May 18, 5:43 AM
    • 878 Posts
    • 11,521 Thanks
    house elf
    Are you my sister in law, Mhags - cos your mother sounds like my MIL
    Originally posted by VJsmum
    And mine

Monday

1. 5am. Sunshine. Blackbird singing on the apex of the gable of next door but one. (He is singing again this morning, but I cant see him).

2. Texts from DD throughout the day, as she completed each stage of her journey. She has arrived safely and did not have to pay excess baggage.

3. Met friend after school for freebie cinema. Edie. Really enjoyed it. Shiela Hancock was good, but the star of the film was definitely the Scottish scenery.

4. DH had saved me a tiny packet of KFC chips and 1 tiny piece of chicken. Had it with coleslaw from the buffet.

5. Good sleep at last.

Have a lovely day
    Synchro Mums - 'Changing the world one sequin at a time' Lady GaGa
    'We have more in common than that which divides us.' Jo Cox
    • villagelife
    • By villagelife 15th May 18, 6:22 AM
    • 1,542 Posts
    • 17,085 Thanks
    villagelife
    Frith sorry to hear about your hen. It is sad to lose one.

1. A quiet morning at work so managed to arrive at the afternoon meeting and have my full lunch. The first time in 10 years I think.

2. Meeting was a waste of time as usual. Not much was decided. All about cost cutting.

3. Good walk back from the bus.

4. DS1 phoned and talked about the christening he went to.

5. DS2 cooked tea.
    • LaineyT
    • By LaineyT 15th May 18, 8:38 AM
    • 2,548 Posts
    • 32,007 Thanks
    LaineyT
    Oh Frith, am sorry, Barbara hen?

Monday pleasures,

Out early to the emporium and blissfully quiet, that is apart from some numpty car drivers, one scowling at me because he was going the wrong way down the one way system and another parked across two spaces!

Some rtc bargains including a very tasty goats cheese and leek frittata which was our lunch with salad.

Gave the kitchen a deep clean including scrubbing of tiles and oven door, all sparkly clean and was reluctant to use to cook evening meal.

Worked horsey girlie on the lunge, apparently we have to have two small meltdowns per session which involve squealling and charging off, best way to deal with is turn back on her and ignore, she then quickly trots up to me and blows on my face, its so hard not to laugh

Late night wander around the garden, little dog is fascinated by the bat and sits watching it whilst her Mum star gazes.
    • Blackbeard of Perranporth
    • By Blackbeard of Perranporth 15th May 18, 12:07 PM
    • 5,623 Posts
    • 33,194 Thanks
    Blackbeard of Perranporth
    Leftovers!
    Dear me, left over chocolate. That is impossible. Nothing is ever left over when BoPsie is inn town!
    We is a buzzard down!

V Puppy fat trimming last night inn the gym. Nearly back to normal after the events of Bank Holiday! These things happen when you go wild for a day! And the pain I has bin through to get even close to beach ready again!

4 Had egg and cheese salad last night, but inn todays packed lunch box there is no Bourneville at all. Cheese of Applewood, salad, chili and rice. Two cakes of Jaffa. Packed with proper foods!

3 New mill has opened up next door. Minded of first boss and never go to work in a flash car as I would think you are paid too much. Their gaffer has three flash cars. Dont invest inn them as you know where the money is going! New tech thing about PCs. Not catch on. Just like boyfriend of lass round back of BoP place. Flash car No money. If he had any, shed be round at his place.

2 Nite after the gym. BoP will be having snorker roulette. You know yous has to try it!

One Minute!
    Cardiac Arrest - Electrical - Patient unconscious! Heart Attack - Plumbing - Patient conscious!
    Defibrillators Cannot Cure a Heart Attack!
    • MrsLurcherwalker
    • By MrsLurcherwalker 15th May 18, 12:21 PM
    • 12,869 Posts
    • 177,786 Thanks
    MrsLurcherwalker
    Dear Frith, sad though it is to lose a loved pet you gave those chicks the best and happiest time of their sadly all to brief lives, without you rescuing her she'd only ever have known a cage and captivity. You gave her the sunshine, the life of a 'free' chick, the sky, the rain, scratching in the earth and everything a chick needs to be entirely happy, bless you, she'll be missed but know she was happy! xxx.

1) We've accepted an offer on this house!

2) We've made an offer on a new home too and are waiting for a reply!

3) Chat to DD2 on the phone this morning while she had the boys out in the garden with the paddling pool and a hose.....and listening whilst she explained very calmly that the Zebra child shouldn't use the hose to soak his baby brother at every opportunity!

4) I'm going to live in a sleepy little country market town if this all comes true, in the most beautiful spot imaginable with a big green space that a brook runs through just across the road and when you stand outside the new house all you can hear is birdsong!

5) DD1 has come up with a plan to transform her home and lovely James is going to move in, she's so happy it makes me want to cry!

6) Our offer on the new house has been accepted and the vendors say they can be out by mid September which is when our purchaser wants to be in here! Ooooohh!!!!!
    Last edited by MrsLurcherwalker; 15-05-2018 at 6:55 PM.
    Thumpers mum was right - if you can't find anything nice to say don't say anything at all!
    • mhagster
    • By mhagster 15th May 18, 9:28 PM
    • 3,126 Posts
    • 36,658 Thanks
    mhagster
    That's all very exciting Mrs LW I hope it all goes smoothly for you.

Well, I had my meeting with architect and builder. Work not able to start till August due to other commitments so we now have a veg patch!

Architect spoke about the builder who didn't visit / addressed to Mr & Mrs and last year's date! He'd been in touch to say that he was disappointed , that I was disappointed and apparently the builders take turns to do quotes and unfortunately I got the wrong 'un! He also noted that I had blogged about it ( his wife is a follower of my blog!) ...I mentioned no names!

So meantime boiler will get changed and a new bathroom can go in and we are going to see if we can squeeze both a bath and shower in by moving a wall along a bit and taking from the airing cupboard that will no longer have a hot water tank in it.

So with no garden access required for at least 10 weeks we ( son!) dug up the what used to be decking and first lot of tenants damaged and it was removed then covered in bark area and will have a 'pop up' veg patch! Have my pea seeds soaking as I type! Moved the bark over to the only corner with plants in it.

So, I got this far earlier on. Looked up and saw our Australian chap pulling into the driveway! Seems he's back to spend the night. I had washed all bedding etc ! Son thought he was just popping in on his way to airport tomorrow . Slightly growling under my breath but smiling on the surface! And I really try not to sweat the small stuff anymore! ( but growling)

Made a turkey mince keema curry for tea.

Had popped into OHs best friends and ended up being invited to school bingo night. So came home, had tea and then headed out to mine and kids old primary school. We didn't win a thing! I was one number away from a full house! Not one of life's natural bingo players!

Home and Aus chap is out in his hire car, trying to sort out collection of his excess baggage. I want to go to bed. I don't know if he needs a shower ( it's in my room and please before you go in my clean spare room!) ...still growling

Beautiful sunset. We actually had a pleasant enough mild day. Got washing dried ( and had put it in spare room and then had to take it all out and dump it in my room...still growling!) a few wee spots of rain that didn't come to much.

Tomorrow is of course another day
    • Frith
    • By Frith 15th May 18, 9:32 PM
    • 4,828 Posts
    • 45,663 Thanks
    Frith
    Pleasures for today (Tuesday).

1) Not a bad sleep.

2) Did all sorts this morning - brother in law came so moved lots of former porch bricks into his car. Made Spanish chicken for tea tomorrow and goulash for tea on Thursday. Changed the bunkbeds. Hoovered, cleaned, washed up, tidied. Even cleaned the fridge.

3) My brother popped in briefly.

4) Hens well - took them some pomegranate and lettuce leaves.

5) Had a pop round the charity shops before meeting my school friend and did very well! 3 tops for me and a brand new FatFace t shirt for bigger son and a Cristiano Ronaldo t shirt for smaller son.

6) Met my school friend for a cup of tea.

7) Watched Holby City.
    Verschlimmbesserung
    • house elf
    • By house elf 16th May 18, 6:25 AM
    • 878 Posts
    • 11,521 Thanks
    house elf
    Good Morning All,

Mhags We have extension dilemmas.......Can we afford it? Do we need it?

Frith Good CS haul.

Tuesday

1. EHCP meeting with DS2 school. Finally, they have done a proper assessment and are proposing some of the support strategies I have been asking for. Well see......

2. Planned meetings were cancelled, so had a day of thinking.

3. Long journey home in traffic. Why? Listened to the whole of Milton Jones on R4

4. Made Pioneer Woman recipe for Baked Zitti. Just me and DH, so leftovers for lunch.

5. FaceTime with DD. Seems happy. Has made her bed cosy and first day of rehearsals went well.

A day of DT and theatre this evening.

Have a lovely day
    Synchro Mums - 'Changing the world one sequin at a time' Lady GaGa
    'We have more in common than that which divides us.' Jo Cox
    • villagelife
    • By villagelife 16th May 18, 6:41 AM
    • 1,542 Posts
    • 17,085 Thanks
    villagelife
    1. Enjoyed my walk to and from the bus stop. Listening to a learn French podcast.

2. Work was ok the right people were working in the same place as myself. They were all my same pay grade. Makes a difference to people's attitude and work ethic.

3. Lovely evening spent in the garden some weeding, planting veg plants and speed some seeds.

4. Spoke to my Mum on the phone. Had a long conversation with her.

5. Sitting in the garden watching the bats flying around.
    • LaineyT
    • By LaineyT 16th May 18, 8:44 AM
    • 2,548 Posts
    • 32,007 Thanks
    LaineyT
    Tuesday pleasures,

Drove over to outskirts of Uni City to drop off unwanted clothes at hospice shop, the reason for Capt Ss decision to down tools and come with me become clear when he suggested we stop at the farm shop for coffee and cake!

Sat outside and was smashing in the sunshine, some of the food prices are eye-wateringly expensive but did treat us to a piece of Colston Basset Stilton.

Popped into tack shop for fly spray and also picked up some spray on stain remover, whod have a light grey horse!

Talking of whom, her first day on summer grass meant she had a food baby by the time I got over, she fell asleep in the sun as her minion removed said stains.

Fish stew with cauli rice - BSD recipe Frith and can heartily recommend.
    • DundeeDoll
    • By DundeeDoll 16th May 18, 8:52 AM
    • 3,372 Posts
    • 38,218 Thanks
    DundeeDoll
    Extension dilemma mhags? Will it bring you joy?
    1) sunny day - lovely walk in
    2) walk round the arboretum with colleagues at lunch
    3) then decided to have PhD supervision meeting with student in community garden - lovely
    4) booked mega bus (much cheaper than train)
    5) stayed late as trying to finish some jobs before holiday
    1 more sleep tilll holibags
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=z0rJNDmtGGw
    For 2018 be kind, be courageous, and never ever eat pears
    • VJsmum
    • By VJsmum 16th May 18, 10:18 AM
    • 5,395 Posts
    • 79,376 Thanks
    VJsmum
    Morning all - I want to be that penguin

Can't find my mojo today, hopefully this will help

pleasures for yesterday

1. Another lovely, warm, sunny day - just love opening the curtains to a deep blue sky. OH had done the lawn the night before so the garden looked great too
    2. Dentist - not a pleasure some (re) fillings are due. The pleasure is that the dentist was lovely and the walk to and fro even lovelier
    3. Worked in the garden for a bit - too nice to be inside. I struggle to work outside but had an easy task to do. DS was revising and he even accepted my help with it - and acknowledged that, just maybe, I do know what I'm talking about
    4. A fast day but it was surprisingly easy. My fast calories have been upped to 800 and it makes a massive difference. eggs for breakfast, soup for lunch and prawns on courgetti for dinner
    5. Watched the second instalment of Innocent whilst doing ironing.

Have a lovely day all - I have two assignments to write.
    For you and me
    Guy Garvey
    • DigForVictory
    • By DigForVictory 16th May 18, 12:19 PM
    • 8,450 Posts
    • 26,670 Thanks
    DigForVictory
    Frith - so sorry for your loss. Mrs LW is spot on.
    mhags - some guests *should* be growled at.
    DD - leftover chocolate may exist in your positive-now, but trust me, not on any dimension the lads & I inhabit!
    VJsmum - you had a BBQ without the testosterone? Is that Allowed?! Hurrah dentist nice & very best with assignments
    ampersand - loving "old lady lunettes" & applaud your recognition of "trs soign!". It's a glorious quality & getting scarcer to find.
    LaintryT - love bleu brie on sourdough toast & Captain S sudden farm-shop-inspired cooperation.
    BoP - so sorry to hear you have a "lady who looked for trouble and found it", hope she goes away soon, leaving you to Proper Food.
    house elf - seeing out chicks away is not easy, is it? d.g. for text messages & the like. (Mind, when the APs went to Canada we could track them in real time on Facebook as at techie coz' wedding.)
    villagelife - we use the big team meetings to reassure the outworkers they are part of the team & then slope off to 'spoons to bond a bit further over a plate of chips. The local meetings are nearly a complete waste of time.
    Mrs LW - hurrah about houses & fingers plaited for you! (Just as well you did plant the garden, so you have something to take with you, and something to welcome the new arrivals!)

OS Pleasures recently
    Golfers "found the water" - as graceful a euphemism for goofed as I've heard yet.

"Get those glam rock hairstyles!" "Yeah, but the elves gave figured hairspray" "Aye Loreal *sounds* like an elf name..." Some days I don't think my chaps appreciate Tolkien's masterwork properly.

"Self harming through skipping" - well, eldest skipped so I get to... Last time I did, I ended up at A&E, so my family take a Dim View of me skipping.

Husband channelling old Stoneface Vimes as the Royal wedding stuff ramps up. Difficult to be a monarchist here (other than concealed in another room). Bless him, he's talking of taking the lads out for the afternoon so I can binge on pageantry in peace!

Himself binge watching Detectorists with me reading alongside & much enjoying The Unthanks who are edited in as incidental music. Glorious voices, lovely trad & some very time-loose strings - it's been beautifully put together to listen to as well as watch.

Cleaned the bath. Surprising pleasure in getting it absolutely mother-in-law clean as opposed to scrubbed with a yard brush (which appears to be my chaps' tackle of choice). Better living through applied chemistry & elbow grease sez I.

Waved to the tailor! I got out of work early to avoid the football enthusiasts & the victory parade that's closing streets from 3 on heaven save the mark...

The Tudor farm - not just Ruth Goodman & the lads, but her daughter deftly sewing a book together & the bone structure, diction & knowledgable enthusiasm is inherited straight line! Ruth's admonition "go and be elegant, go and be gorgeous!" to the lads had me grinning....

Lee Marvin - darn but his voice!

Scattered TV quotes "OK, women & geeks first." (Sanctuary) "Is this a chat chat or a throw a shovel in the trunk chat?" (Gotham) - these may end up on Christmas T shirts.

Another beautiful morning - and the youngest heads off to his first GCSE exam with minimal fanfare but a pencilcase tested & found worthy bu elder sib. The lad even knows where his calculator is! [Then 'Enjoyed' the exam. Sometimes my boychicks are Utterly Baffling]

"After the sun the rain" - oh yes, that children's hymn is sound meteorological sense. I may have got away just carrying my fleece & waterproof yesterday - today I'm snuggled into both & glad of them. Doesn't stop me pausing to enjoy the light through leaves & appreciating the beauty!

I was glowing like Chernobyl after the gym but I feel good this morning. Even after hiking up eight flights of stairs (free cardio!)

Health, strength, love, courage, good builders, abundant plants, cooperative vendors, and other such glints to the day to all as have need and thank you o Raffles for the Yellow Stuff!
    • Blackbeard of Perranporth
    • By Blackbeard of Perranporth 16th May 18, 12:24 PM
    • 5,623 Posts
    • 33,194 Thanks
    Blackbeard of Perranporth
    Temporary Fault
    IT services at the mill are doing a downgrade. BoPiness notes currently unavailable.

Lights at the end of the tunnel are flickering!
    Cardiac Arrest - Electrical - Patient unconscious! Heart Attack - Plumbing - Patient conscious!
    Defibrillators Cannot Cure a Heart Attack!
    • MrsLurcherwalker
    • By MrsLurcherwalker 16th May 18, 5:05 PM
    • 12,869 Posts
    • 177,786 Thanks
    MrsLurcherwalker
    1) Trip to Ikea was productive of the replacement plate and bowl still in the same variety I got to begin with, thank goodness they haven't changed the design yet.

2) Visit to the vegan wholefood shop always a pleasure and nice to be able to buy 'scoop' produce rather than pre packaged.

3) Bumping into friends as I waited for the bus and seeing that their ageing Labradoodle Donkey who is Rupert is still hale and hearty and has survived his second cancer treatment, he was certainly hale and hearty enough to stand up on my shoulders with his front paws to give me a hello lick.....a REAL pleasure!

4) DD1 had her appraisal with the Head this afternoon and is most happy with the feedback he gave. Including that there may be opportunities for her career in the next year or so, no promises this time but she will be considered for several newly created school management posts when they occur, fab!

5) He Who Knows went fishing today, not brilliant fishing but 5 decent sized fishes caught is better than none. His biggest pleasure was caught on camera on his phone in the form of a very confident robin who came and perched on his two rods (obviously not at the same time) and was happily accepting of bread bait that he was given as he Who Knows doesn't use maggots. Robin was however very distainful of the offered sweetcorn!!! C'mon human you can do better than that!!!
    Thumpers mum was right - if you can't find anything nice to say don't say anything at all!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,825Posts Today

7,633Users online

Martin's Twitter