Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • DundeeDoll
    • By DundeeDoll 18th Jul 17, 11:34 AM
    • 3,222Posts
    • 36,346Thanks
    DundeeDoll
    5 OS pleasures in your day today - part 3
    • 18th Jul 17, 11:34 AM
    5 OS pleasures in your day today - part 3 18th Jul 17 at 11:34 AM
    Ok I'm diving in as I've noticed several of us have lost posts we thought had posted, and there now seems to be a serious risk of losing the whole thread. So thanks for the heads up Karcher. (and i sympathise Frith - i too like to nip back)

I've revisited the first thread of our part 2, posted 28th October 2009. It said:
    Time for a shiny new thread The old one had got to 4500 odd posts which amounts to 22,500 OS pleasures (at least) It's so good to know that the OS life can be so rewarding.

I'll kick off the new thread.

1) Homemade bread and marmalade for breakfast.

2) A walk over the Malvern Hills to blow away the cobwebs.

3) Drying the washing outside- still, in October.

4) Watching mydaughter making a game out of sweeping the leaves with her friends.

5) The prospect of collecting a big order of meat from the butcher this morning and having my freezer full for less.
    Originally posted by thriftlady
    Part 2 went on considerably longer so many many more pleasures. And of course life stories shared, support given, tears of sorrow and joy shed. Part 2 I shall miss you, but here's to part 3.
    Last edited by DundeeDoll; 18-07-2017 at 11:40 AM.
Page 147
    • VJsmum
    • By VJsmum 12th May 18, 4:25 PM
    • 5,249 Posts
    • 77,233 Thanks
    VJsmum
    DforV - i am a winter baby (Dec 18th) but absolutely detest the cold...

Pleasures for yesterday

1. A day off from gadding - and work in general, although that was accidental.
    2. Walked to get the car, which had passed its MOT
    3. coffee with friend - good to catch up. Her DD (and mine) came along so we all had a good chinwag. Was at her DD who was complaining about their forthcoming holiday in Sri Lanka, because she couldn't take the luggage that she wanted to....
    4. Roasted a chicken for tea - first roast I've cooked in many a while
    5. DS's exam went OK, as far as I can gather "I think i've managed to get the 16% i need, Bab"..

Have a good day all - Eurovision tonight... (Though what it will be like sober is another matter)
    You're out with a friend in the capital, I'm a thousand leagues under the sea
    You're hovering worriedly over your eggs, And I'm pondering trees
    I'm wandering long, And I'm pondering trees
    For you and me
    Guy Garvey
    • MrsLurcherwalker
    • By MrsLurcherwalker 12th May 18, 4:31 PM
    • 12,179 Posts
    • 168,831 Thanks
    MrsLurcherwalker
    1) We have offers on the house, one of which isn't too insulting!

2) I have found a possible house for us at the other end which is empty, no chain and affordable.....we view on Monday!

3) I have a cutting of asparagus in the garden.

4) The combined perfumes of hawthorn and lilac everywhere when I walked the Cookie Monster this afternoon, nice walking temperature but it rained and we both got wet!

5) I made sweet potato falafels, new to me recipe, which we had in wraps for lunch and they were very nice, He Who Knows has asked for the again!
    Thumpers mum was right - if you can't find anything nice to say don't say anything at all!
    • mhagster
    • By mhagster 12th May 18, 10:27 PM
    • 2,994 Posts
    • 35,031 Thanks
    mhagster
    Hello, I'm back! Haven't caught up on everyone else's pleasures yet...trying to catch up on washing & dog cuddles!

Beautiful few days away. Ate much. Walked a decent amount. Saw lots. Had some sunshine. Left the rain behind this afternoon. Didn't have too many fall outs with DD2.

Nice to be home. I like home.
    • Frith
    • By Frith 12th May 18, 10:45 PM
    • 4,592 Posts
    • 43,469 Thanks
    Frith
    Pleasures for today (Saturday).

1) A lie in after a very disturbed night. Put a nearly comatose bigger son to bed at 1am. Listened to make sure he was breathing until 2am. MrN's son3 facebooked me at 4am as son5 had been discovered in their driveway - not really conscious and with blood spatters. He wanted to know if bigger son had got home safely - MrN's son5 needed an ambulance. At the party they had been to, they had been given free alcohol all night - despite being under age, and in a pub...

2) Hens well.

3) My sister, brother in law and niece popped in for a cup of tea.

4) Took bigger son to swap a purchase he made yesterday. Stopped at the nursery for radish and lettuce seeds.

5) Quite a tasty tea (nearly completed the second week of the blood sugar diet). Fish pie but no carbs so a celeriac topping.

6) Watched Eurovision for most of the evening and now watching in bed.
    Odd fact: the inventor of nominative determinism was called Trevor Nominative - Determinism. :-)
    • house elf
    • By house elf 13th May 18, 7:31 AM
    • 765 Posts
    • 10,265 Thanks
    house elf
    Happy Sunday!

Going to Kirsties Handmade Fair again today

Yesterday

1. Euro vision Buffet......out early buying food to represent as many European countries as possible! Including vegetarian options.......made Toblerone cheesecake to represent Switzerland.

2. DH cleaned kitchen, living room and hallway.

3. Friends arrived with a selection of Euro beers and we started our evening with Spanish Negroli cocktails. (Mash up of Martha Stewart and Kirstie Allsop recipes ........my lifestyle mentors ).

4. Watched all 26 songs.......

5. Cheered for the winner!

Lot’s of leftovers for the family to nibble on while I am gadding off to Ragley Hall. Most of the crockery has been washed and put away, and 2 lots of washing done by 7am.

Have a lovely day
    Synchro Mums - 'Changing the world one sequin at a time' Lady GaGa
    'We have more in common than that which divides us.' Jo Cox
    • LaineyT
    • By LaineyT 13th May 18, 8:01 AM
    • 2,234 Posts
    • 27,803 Thanks
    LaineyT
    Good news on the house Lyn

Saturday pleasures,

A lie-in to nearly 9am which is late for me.

Visit to farm shop, heart sank when saw how full the car park was but everyone seemed to be in the cafe and shop was quiet.

Whizzed through house and bed changed before heading over to the stables to see horsey girl, she was pleased to see me and worked well.

The rain started in earnest just as got back from dog walk so that was well timed

Blue cheese steak burgers with HM pot salad, glass of something cold and a share of Capt S’s birthday choc.
    • villagelife
    • By villagelife 13th May 18, 8:11 AM
    • 1,439 Posts
    • 15,914 Thanks
    villagelife
    1. Met a friend for coffee. We had a good catch up as we hadn't seen each other in a while.

2. My friend had lost her purse earlier in the day and had driven back to where she last used it but it wasn't there. While we were having coffee - I paid - her son phoned and a couple had just returned the purse to get home. Her driving licence was in there. It makes you feel good about people.

3. Tidied some of the shed whilst it was raining.

4. Went out for a lovely meal.

5. Watched the end of Eurovision.
    • mhagster
    • By mhagster 13th May 18, 8:21 AM
    • 2,994 Posts
    • 35,031 Thanks
    mhagster
    house elf I also have 2 loads of washing done but have woken this morning to rain....rain was not mentioned last night when I did the washing! Enjoy your day out!

Have just emailed stonker email to local council who have sent me a rather large bill for council tax from last year and wanting payment in 7 days or else....even though it took 12 days from issue date to arrive, as far as I'm aware I am fully up to date with all payments. Growling!

And breathe....

I'm home. I have a content doggy at my toes. I'm waiting on a call from my Melbourne girl. It's Mothers Day in Australia. I'd received her gift a few weeks ago of a photo canvas of the five of us. She's doing afternoon tea at the moment with her housemates mums so will call when they're done.

I seriously have to get back on plan with eating healthy. I have eaten the most delicious pastries this week and enjoyed every single mouthful but can see I've put on weight! Waaaah!

Barcelona was beautiful. I really enjoyed it apart from being on hyper vigilant pick pocket alert, and my pockets weren't picked but maybe because I was being so vigilant? It was busy enough for me in May, goodness knows what it's like in the height of summer? The architecture is just stunning. I loved all the balconies. It was just warm enough. Not too hot but much warmer than home! The food was delicious but I've mentioned that already! I certainly ate enough of it!

We've never been to Spain before. I thought I didn't know any Spanish but I must have picked up some words along the way and was able to make attempts at conversing. Most speak excellent English but I like to at least try and speak in their language.

Coming home. My niece picked us up at our local airport so home in 15 minutes! Have you swept up? Yes! said boy child. Really? Yes! Hmmmmm....I could have knitted another dog with the hair in the floor!
    When did the sainsbury order come? Tuesday you were here when it came...so why are there still packets out and not put away! Were you planning on cleaning the stove top....I think that was an obvious no! You haven't watered the plants at front porch....it's been raining...they are under cover! Duh! So cooker is clean, floors are swept and washed and there's a huge pile of washing waiting to go out when the sun comes! Plants have been soaked and will hopefully revive!

EHIC cards arrived after we'd gone but thankfully we didn't need to use them. An Australian magazine to read in my bath this morning ( just waiting on water heating up. It's been off all week so no energy wasted on that) a letter for DD1s friend in the same envelope to save her postage and a request for me to put a much cheaper stamp on and post from here!

Have a lovely Sunday
    • VJsmum
    • By VJsmum 13th May 18, 12:13 PM
    • 5,249 Posts
    • 77,233 Thanks
    VJsmum
    Morning all.

Welcome home, Mhags. We went to Barcelona for the first time last year and also loved it.

Pleasures for a busy yesterday

1. Got through some chores - four loads of washing, made 6 jars of marmalade; made stock for soup from chicken carcass; cleaned 2 bathrooms and bedroom; changed sheets; did some marking... phew!
    2. Had a nice bath (before all of the above) and caught up with 'The Split'
    3. Had nice eggy brunch with a mix of veggies (onion, celery, courgette, pepper, toms) - made a hole in the mix and cracked eggs into it. Also had chicken, bacon and avo salad for tea.
    4. Watched Eurovision what a hoot, especially if you read alongatwitter at the same time. i was rooting for the hairy, stomping, anthemic Danes.
    5. DS came in at 3 - but luckily he was able to tell me he'd be late before his battery died.

Have a good day all - more choreage awaits.
    You're out with a friend in the capital, I'm a thousand leagues under the sea
    You're hovering worriedly over your eggs, And I'm pondering trees
    I'm wandering long, And I'm pondering trees
    For you and me
    Guy Garvey
    • MrsLurcherwalker
    • By MrsLurcherwalker 13th May 18, 3:13 PM
    • 12,179 Posts
    • 168,831 Thanks
    MrsLurcherwalker
    1) A beautiful day and a good drying day too so bedding and everything else needing it has been washed and is out blowing gently on the line.

2) Saw the first tiny Blue Butterfly today in Chapel Lane when I walked Cookie.

3)Lovely long chat with DD1 and hearing all her and James's plans while I walked today too.

4) Ironing is now all done (except what is currently drying outside) and I love that feeling, mind I like ironing too ( I know, no hope for me whatsoever!).

5) Garden beginning to look 'planted up' and French beans went into the garden plot today too. Apple tree on the front lawn is covered in blush pink blossom, fig tree is 'figging' well and getting his leaves, strawberries are a mass of flowers looks good!
    Thumpers mum was right - if you can't find anything nice to say don't say anything at all!
    • Blackbeard of Perranporth
    • By Blackbeard of Perranporth 13th May 18, 6:24 PM
    • 5,195 Posts
    • 31,189 Thanks
    Blackbeard of Perranporth
    Live Scrabble ...
    BoPsie is only one win away from two on the pounce!

BoPsie first!
    EVE. BoP plays FIT
    RIOT. BoP plays DUD on fe. BoPsie has tried to deck the bored! BoP leads by 13 on 33.
    DONE. CENT, BoP leads by 17 on 47. Game on.
    RARE. BOP play GRIT. BoPsie is lost for words and changed! TOE. BoPsie, it!!!8217;s all on her next move? LUBE. GIRL. BoP leads by 29 on 76. BoPsie PAVES the way to the first red square.. BoP goes LARGE and lead is cut to 2 on 88. ONE. BoP plays OIL Lone to block red tile. BoP leads by 5 on 96. SCAM on centS. BoP NOT tO goT. Leads by 7 on 121.

Double Letter treble word coming up for BoP. We is waiting on BoPsie! We has had a B and a F appear, only to be taken back. Raffles is nowhere to be seen!

FLEA Foil by BoPsie. It is on! Lip curl by BoPsie! HOME. BoP leads by 25 on 160. Red square grabbed!
    BEAR. EX, oX dudE by BoP. BoP leads 37 on 184. Crisps have been eaten. JAB. BoP HaY Ho Ye. BoPsie is Joking with the blank. Q not asked for, get out. Qi and in. BoP on 227 leads by 34. MinT. Gets mOW. BoP leads by 34 on 243. Mistake by BoPsie putting cURE. Opens up DAZe on red square. All tiles are out! SPIEd mintS by BoPsie. Strategic YAw by BoP. oUt by BoPsie. yAW on yaw. Red square by BoP. Son and out by BoPsie nothing is this game for out first! BoP wins 327 to 234.

BoPsie is now only one win away fro the chance of two on the bounce!
    Last edited by Blackbeard of Perranporth; 13-05-2018 at 7:41 PM.
    Commemorate Celebrate Inspire
    #RAF100 A century of service!
    • mhagster
    • By mhagster 13th May 18, 8:01 PM
    • 2,994 Posts
    • 35,031 Thanks
    mhagster
    The sun came out and dried up all the rain. It's been a beautiful day.
    Much sobbing today . I really miss my husband. I've some major decisions to make ( and am able to be in a position to make them because he died) and could really have done with his opinion. But I wouldn't be here making life changing decisions if he was...so go figure!
    Plus trying to chat with DD1 and she was in her living room with her housemates and the telly was blaring ( and she had called me not as if I was interrupting her) she has my car. She wanted my car. She needs to get a road worthy test and certificate to change the registration to her and she hasn't bothered her backside and I've been asking her for weeks / months and still she hasn't done it. So I could feel myself getting very annoyed and was already emotional so said I was hanging up. Grrrr! I've even said I would pay for roadworthy check weeks ago. And she hasn't had much work and could have got it done and now this week she's working 6/7 days plus Uni and no way is it going to be done so I just sound like a nagging mother! Grrrr!

Anyway whilst upset and sobbing I cut the bloody lawns again! Seriously the grass just keeps growing! My son has severe hayfever so it's not really an option for him. He did however ask me if I was okay? No....then got full vent! He wisely took the dog on a very long walk.

Spare room is spare again so its been gutted. DD2 did wardrobe so 2 bags of stuff taken to charity bin at T carpark. Shelves have been put up and shoe rack going down to understair cupboard. All bedding ( quilt, pillows etc) washed and dried and mattress febreezed! Get it back to a girly room after our male guest was there for 4 weeks!

Made some Cajun chicken pasta for tea and sat in garden and ate it.

Much washing done and all ironed. Just need to put it away!

Tomorrow of course is another day
    • Frith
    • By Frith 13th May 18, 10:18 PM
    • 4,592 Posts
    • 43,469 Thanks
    Frith
    Pleasures for today (Sunday).

1) A lie in.

2) Hens well and courgette and pumpkin plants are growing.

3) Asked smaller son where he wanted to go today and he opted for the large shopping centre (?). Had a look round there, bigger son got some socks and they had some cookies.

4) Got a few jobs done - bathroom cleaned, stairs cleaned and I took the extractor fan apart and cleaned it so it runs more quietly now.

5) Tagine for tea. 14th day of the Blood Sugar Diet completed so I will weigh myself in the morning.

6) My brother popped in.
    Odd fact: the inventor of nominative determinism was called Trevor Nominative - Determinism. :-)
    • DundeeDoll
    • By DundeeDoll 13th May 18, 11:09 PM
    • 3,222 Posts
    • 36,346 Thanks
    DundeeDoll
    Busy but lovely weekend
    1) spent Saturday lunch time preparing salads for Sunday church lunch for 50
    2) then lunch at McManus galleries with dd2 and mum
    3) Sunday school this morning with dd2. Ascension. We did Jesus being taken up into the clouds, ate some chocolate left over from Easter, and made thank you cards for the lunch helpers
    4) lunch was a great success. We have raised £10800 for the new lighting and after lunch we had a talk from our climate change fund link person
    5) home, walked dogs wit( gbf who had come to the lunch, then another walk with dogs over long chat with ds. Discovered we;re both going down to manchester Thursday so i;ll Get a train over to Glasgow and he;ll book 2 seats from Glasgow. Dogs now fast asleep as soon will I be. Can;t believe I missed Eurovision!
    For 2018 be kind, be courageous, and never ever eat pears
    • house elf
    • By house elf 14th May 18, 5:26 AM
    • 765 Posts
    • 10,265 Thanks
    house elf
    Morning Peeps,

Mhags DD is off for a summer season in Greece today. We will have many FaceTime conversations with her over the coming months similar to yours with your DD.......until the social life kicks in, and we will be forgotten!......hope you feel better once you have made your decisions.

Sunday

1. Lovely drive to Ragley Hall for Handmade Fair. Sunshine was beautiful.

2. Workshops were very expensive, so did not sign up for anything, and just wandered instead. Found a stall where you could make an embroidery picture for £5. Spent a companiable time making a flower picture. Bought a pattern to make a pinafore. Took home lots of inspiration.

3. Chinese takeaway for tea, as DD wanted to have one before she goes.

4. She is all packed and ready to go. (I am awake and very anxious).

5. The sunrise is beautiful.

Have a lovely day
    Synchro Mums - 'Changing the world one sequin at a time' Lady GaGa
    'We have more in common than that which divides us.' Jo Cox
    • villagelife
    • By villagelife 14th May 18, 6:57 AM
    • 1,439 Posts
    • 15,914 Thanks
    villagelife
    1. Saw MIL briefly. I had brought some clothes for her and she said she liked them but wasn't looking at them. It's been done. She had forgotten it was DS1 birthday and said she would give him money like last year. That will be nothing then.

2. DS1 liked his presents. A book and various vouchers.

3. Facetime conversation with DS1. He was away as it was his godson's christening. He then sent a beautiful photo of them both. I think he enjoyed his day.

4. Went to Savill Garden to have a look round with DH. We both enjoyed ourselves but wouldn't rush back.

5. Spent some time in the garden.

6. Water came back on. There was a burst pipe so we had about 3 hours with no water.
    • ampersand
    • By ampersand 14th May 18, 7:25 AM
    • 8,446 Posts
    • 32,885 Thanks
    ampersand
    Have got nowhere trying to do online ryanair check-in since 5 bells, then Live Chat. Lesley's 'help' was ludicrous and un-, so have left it.
    #
    1. Using up inventively:-) Thus, 'interesting' risotto/fried rice will be consumed over next couple of days, doubtless with various add-ins. Currently - arborio rice, olive oil, red onions, peas, thai basil, chestnut mushrooms, bacon, ham end, 2 eggs, a little cream, 4 tomatoes, various garden herbs. Tastes lush. There's trifle, too - sponge use-up, this use up[made last week]https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/13356/tea-fruit-cake , with finish off cream, banana, tin of pineapple, big chunked orange poached in 2 ends of h-m marmalade and berry jam, use up flaked almonds and h-m custard[brownie points please bop] It is far too nice - and very filling. Naughty yummy scrummy.

2. Early out yday to catch M at Trumpy carboot. News needed of someone for 2 other someones. Suspected worrying reply late last night passed on. But met someone else with his new someone and this is v. good news indeed. Long may they last en couple. Picked up a few quick interesting bits, ho hum. How much No More Stock now joins No More Books, No More Plants....yesterday only 6/nil, until.....

3. ...Quick rtn to &squat for old lady lunettes and still on time for early church @ 10 was terrific, felt needed. Just so happened, not sure how[&, phib] that 5 nmbs and 10 nmps left from yday's drop-in caf! day sortakinda levered their crowded way into &'s car, still loaded from Spits and Trumpy. That'll be sorted shortly.

4. Offloaded plants, had soddit moment and headed to town of horse for big Antiques Fair late entry. Declared self 'Trade' - & is not paying £4 to go in and walk around for final hour. Looked for M, an older, très soign! lady of probity, style, substance and was shocked at her appearance. Blood clot on lung, operations, slowly returning to activity. Another pause and think moment Bought from her, on behalf of oxfam. One other nice guy - quick deal on 2 quirky little bits. Would have loved the geniine old oil-on-board swinging signs for a long-gone game butcher, but couldn't justify, esp. with euros to sort. Petrol and euros are both up again today....:-(((

5. Stopped en route for another lavender, which has been on The List for a fortnight, but none found until asking chez lovely village plants lady - 80p, average for most of her plants, all of which are terrific. More digging and all planting then done by nightfall. Coming in from out front, solar light beaming not just once, but 3 times, reflected in all the birdie waters:-) It's a lovely effect.
    #
    Busy busies from now till go time.
    Hope son's experience is one more wake-up call along the way, Frith, not to mention Mr N's son's. Any follow-up action on event itself?
    Daring to hope David Milliband might come back. & would be out on sure campaign trail:-) 'DM dumps TM as PM'
    Happy Mondays all.
    Last edited by ampersand; 14-05-2018 at 7:35 AM.
    CAP[UK]for FREE EXPERT DEBT&BUDGET HELP:01274 760720, freephone0800 328 0006
    'People don't want much. They want: "Someone to love, somewhere to live, somewhere to work and something to hope for."
    Norman Kirk, NZLP- Prime Minister, 1972
    ***JE SUIS CHARLIE***
    'It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere' François-Marie AROUET

• Flo61
    • By Flo61 14th May 18, 7:45 AM
    • 35 Posts
    • 381 Thanks
    Flo61
    Day at the races.

Excellent view of horses.

Ice cream cornet with raspberry sauce.

Girl practising handstands on grass.

Won one race.
    • LaineyT
    • By LaineyT 14th May 18, 8:58 AM
    • 2,234 Posts
    • 27,803 Thanks
    LaineyT
    Sunday pleasures,

Early up and despite forecast no rain so yomp around the field with small dog and home for bacon butties, coffee and all things Ambridge.

Sort out of books and big pile waiting in spare room to be re-homed.

Afternoon spent in the garden, window opened so continuous groans and cheers from Capt S with the last afternoon of Premiership footie, his team have qualified for CL with two major competitors missing out so happy days.

Invitation from SIL for family get together.

Blue Brie on sourdough toast for supper, Midsummer Murders and all that.
    • Blackbeard of Perranporth
    • By Blackbeard of Perranporth 14th May 18, 12:07 PM
    • 5,195 Posts
    • 31,189 Thanks
    Blackbeard of Perranporth
    Down inn the mill ponds
    V had to get the Live Scrabble up and running yesterday. Top form by BoP and we did not have a pitch invasion! BoPsie played well but skill is permanent, Cocoa was drunk!

4 Sunday lunch was proper frozen foods again, with a cottage pie made two weaks ago! Serbved with pan gravy, cauliflower and peas. Strawbs and mint choc ice cream was also eaten. Glasses of orange concentrate and eau de faucet were drunk! Saturday brekfest was usual snorker and best back. Haricot has beans in tom sauce and the usual trimmings were had with tea! Tum well rubbed this weakened! Inn BoPs packed lunch box today is the usual Bourneville, cakes of Jaffa, salad, and special this weak, Chili and rice! Homemade chili and rice that is! Recipe available. Noted inn then emporium last day Jimmy the Cook has some sauces out. Not on your nelly! Tin of chopped toms and the rest. Made especially hot for BoPsie. Firewater is available if yous is affected by thinking of the cakes of Jaffa!

3 Down at mill, the elevator minute at the morning prayers has been rather sharp since the lady who looked for trouble and found it. No one has completed their minute without tears this morning. Rich tea biscuits, provided, were not used as we did not want people to splutter! Back in the furnace room, the boilers are fired up for the weaks doings!

2 Nite BoP is inn the gym. Donts knows hows that BoP has excess puppy fat at the moment. Anderby Creek is delayed! News on this later. BoP tour in the US is now only … Washington and The Big Apple again. Tickets Booked for Colin Hay at Radio City. Hes with some drummer from a group called The Beatles! Details of the Anderby Creek trip soon!

Let sleeping dogs lie!
    Commemorate Celebrate Inspire
    #RAF100 A century of service!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,366Posts Today

7,412Users online

Martin's Twitter