Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • DundeeDoll
    • By DundeeDoll 18th Jul 17, 11:34 AM
    • 3,353Posts
    • 37,973Thanks
    DundeeDoll
    5 OS pleasures in your day today - part 3
    • 18th Jul 17, 11:34 AM
    5 OS pleasures in your day today - part 3 18th Jul 17 at 11:34 AM
    Ok I'm diving in as I've noticed several of us have lost posts we thought had posted, and there now seems to be a serious risk of losing the whole thread. So thanks for the heads up Karcher. (and i sympathise Frith - i too like to nip back)

I've revisited the first thread of our part 2, posted 28th October 2009. It said:
    Time for a shiny new thread The old one had got to 4500 odd posts which amounts to 22,500 OS pleasures (at least) It's so good to know that the OS life can be so rewarding.

I'll kick off the new thread.

1) Homemade bread and marmalade for breakfast.

2) A walk over the Malvern Hills to blow away the cobwebs.

3) Drying the washing outside- still, in October.

4) Watching mydaughter making a game out of sweeping the leaves with her friends.

5) The prospect of collecting a big order of meat from the butcher this morning and having my freezer full for less.
    Originally posted by thriftlady
    Part 2 went on considerably longer so many many more pleasures. And of course life stories shared, support given, tears of sorrow and joy shed. Part 2 I shall miss you, but here's to part 3.
    Last edited by DundeeDoll; 18-07-2017 at 11:40 AM.
Page 145
    • LaineyT
    • By LaineyT 8th May 18, 8:45 AM
    • 2,495 Posts
    • 31,269 Thanks
    LaineyT
    Monday pleasures,

Another beautifully warm and sunny day.

It was a BH and roads surprisingly quiet, presume everyone had headed to the coast.

Most of the day spent in the garden, meals taken and cold drinks consumed, little dog was in and out of her doggy paddling pool all day

Our garden table and chairs situated not that far from the apple tree where all the bird feeders hang, after an initial shyness they all decided to ignore us and just get on with it. The apple blossom floating down was only sign they had been.

Not switching any lights on as the sun gradually went down, watched yet another old episode of Vera by candlelight and being aware that the bats were circling the house clearing up the wee beasties.
    • Blackbeard of Perranporth
    • By Blackbeard of Perranporth 8th May 18, 12:08 PM
    • 5,545 Posts
    • 32,766 Thanks
    Blackbeard of Perranporth
    Back at the mill …
    No Pleasures today then!

Ours cheery tree, yep sounds better lick that, has BoPsie’s bird feeder on it. The local flying rats, the pigeons have realised if one swings in the tree, the seeds fall quicker. Never miss a free lunch! On about bird feeders, neighbour puts out the ham bones and the like, proper food, ties them into his tree for the birds as well. Unfortunately it is not Raffles proof!
    Primus stove. That would take some pumping!

V Well that sore ted the yellow thing all weakened for you lots. Jobs inn the yard done. Raffles enjoying the shade. Firing bin ready to be lit soon! More on the yard later!

4 Packed BoPsie off to her work, and her packed lunched is full of punch today! Same as BoP’s. Two clubs, Quiche, minted buttered new tatties and salad. Bourneville is also included. Proper foods again! On proper foods, sardines we had on toast yesterday as well. You knows you want too!

3 That just leaves the conservatory to do this weekend! The windows need ailing as well, to keep the runners working. You need to do this every so often with the Double Glazed units!

2 Nite BoP is inn the gym. He needs it after that! Puppy fat will be worked on! Anderby Creek visit is not going to be this week!
    Not that it was, but that it is!
    Cardiac Arrest - Electrical - Patient unconscious! Heart Attack - Plumbing - Patient conscious!
    Defibrillators Cannot Cure a Heart Attack!
    • ampersand
    • By ampersand 8th May 18, 12:27 PM
    • 8,470 Posts
    • 33,043 Thanks
    ampersand
    Will try posting on this lumpen new page dazzle. DO NOT LIKE IT nor the cropping of siggie Words of Wisdom
    It is so difficult connecting, even via mob, within 5-10 miles of here now and have lost my sensible old turquoise skin page. Would love to have that back.
    #
    1. & is clearly going to be busy working out investment of millions - look'ee here -
    Charriot Award Promotion
    Government Accredited Licensed Promoters.
    Ref No: CAD/WIN/008/07/03/LUK
    We wish to congratulate you over your email success in our computer
    balloting sweepstake held in year 2018.your price worth 1,000,000.00 dollars.
    1.full name:
    2.Home Address:
    3.Age:
    4.Phone Number:
    5.Occupation.
    Preferred payment Mode: (a)
    (a) Cheque (b) Bank Transfer
    Mr. Micheal Powell
    Email:cadpayout@my.com

This is &'s 2nd such influx of bounty within 24 virtual hours from the same generous and delightfully sincere peeps. Hideous grammar, spelling, scansion. What's worrying is that some people ARE taken in.

2. Wasn't yesterday stunning? Love Raffles' yellow thing, turned up high:-) And on a Bank Holiday! And in this country! Reach Fair was as low-key old-style, as laid back friendly, as slow-frenetic-slow-paced as always, as beautifully alternative as ever, altrhough Unusual Plants Lady was absent this year. But Cambridge bees peeps were there - always good.
    https://www.facebook.com/reachfair/
    It's a long rambling walk from 1201 to yesterday,
    http://www.reachfair.org.uk/ , passed glorious golden buttercup fields and dizzying scent of miles of flowering hedgerows.
    Gorgeous, fabulous time and wonderful unexpected meet-ups.
    Experience has taught & well, so little old lady trolley was taken. Only 8 No More Books from the Chapel sale.

3. Was up at 0420h and gardening, in the new2& phab wellies, parrot-y £2ers, getting more lawn up and more things planted. Chucking vile chafer grubs onto trailer drive for birdies. Lily beetles are back, too. Hope not to be snarling about reappearing slugs [plenty of snails]any time soon.
    https://www.lovethegarden.com/advice/pests-diseases/chafer-grubs
    As posted by Lainey, birds are busy, hungry, bothering ladies assiduously with unwanted attentions. So much birdsong, Trickle hose being used, too. Water butts emptying fast.

4. Several talks with France, until line drops again, as this a.m. M needs listener/forensic reader & in latest attempted land/property grab. & has known all 1st-hand since 1974,[tho' being only child didn't exactly help &] and The Waltons was a long-ago guilty & pleasure in old box-watching times. M said 'I've found the bunting you made last time'. That was for our Will & Kate wedding day watch - and we did see M's Great-Aunt. Wonder if we will this time.

5. Surgery in throes of tinternet muck-ups unfortunately [not just &], so today's ecg and bp appt hasn't happened. & walked the back farmland to get there, which was good. Wheat's thigh-high. Elephant's eye won't follow any time here, any time soon.
    #
    *Special 6. *
    & has received an amazingly bright solar light - down back now, near the re-potted Scotsdale's geraniums at garden room doors. Happened to eat some old fave biccies with a late-night coffee, enjoying light from afar - ykwya. Very much appreciated. Merci millefois)))
    #
    Having just managed at 7th attempt to turn back to p72 [still can't make thanks go on for everyone] have to approve your Peter May book, dd.
    #
    As per &y usual, a bit of listening bully time:
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00951dy
    vjm - 'High Table, Lower Orders' ranks right up with Cabin Pressure for &. Both bear any amount of repetition. Brilliance, wit and intelligence and laugh-out loud moments. Also lots of Geoffrey Palmer atm[ another chtm chap], ditto lovely Miles Jupp. Now, he DOES have a laugh. Listen up, everyone:-)
    Last edited by ampersand; 08-05-2018 at 1:36 PM.
    CAP[UK]for FREE EXPERT DEBT&BUDGET HELP:01274 760720, freephone0800 328 0006
    'People don't want much. They want: "Someone to love, somewhere to live, somewhere to work and something to hope for."
    Norman Kirk, NZLP- Prime Minister, 1972
    ***JE SUIS CHARLIE***
    'It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere' François-Marie AROUET

• By Blackbeard of Perranporth 8th May 18, 1:13 PM
    • 5,545 Posts
    • 32,766 Thanks
    BoPsie has text’d
    She’s liking the egg custard slice. This is what proper foods does for you!
    Cardiac Arrest - Electrical - Patient unconscious! Heart Attack - Plumbing - Patient conscious!
    • ampersand
    • By ampersand 8th May 18, 1:30 PM
    • 8,470 Posts
    • 33,043 Thanks
    ampersand
    Egg custard slice was &'s maman's fave bop. 2 Great Wimmins of taste there:-)
    CAP[UK]for FREE EXPERT DEBT&BUDGET HELP:01274 760720, freephone0800 328 0006
    'People don't want much. They want: "Someone to love, somewhere to live, somewhere to work and something to hope for."
    Norman Kirk, NZLP- Prime Minister, 1972
    ***JE SUIS CHARLIE***
    'It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere' François-Marie AROUET

• mhagster
    • By mhagster 8th May 18, 1:48 PM
    • 3,097 Posts
    • 36,294 Thanks
    mhagster
    Good afternoon. Tis raining but I don't care!

Woken at 3.30am ( as were we all) by the most spine tingling howl from a sleeping dog. He must have had a very bad dream.

Took a while to get back to sleep and then re-awoke at 7.50am which is horridly late for me...quick shower, then out for very quick dog walk with H and his old girl. 2 laps of the big field.

Then jump in car to get eyebrows waxed, then into T for a European adaptor. Met 3 people I knew so quick chat with each. It's very unusual that I don't meet someone I know.

Then had to nip to mums so took dog as an extra walk for him. He does not like her cats or any cats so that wasn't fun. He got a bop on the nose from one!

Then home to pack and my suitcase has my Christmas gift of koala travel tag on it. Sent a photo to DD1.

Getting picked up in a couple of hours so going to have a soak in bath , get my toe nails painted and relax. By tonight I will be in a different country!

Catch up when I can
    • MrsLurcherwalker
    • By MrsLurcherwalker 8th May 18, 4:26 PM
    • 12,806 Posts
    • 177,023 Thanks
    MrsLurcherwalker
    1) Another lovely day, not quite as hot and blue skied as yesterday was but still very nice to be outside in.

2) The scent of lilac all over the village, wherever you walk it just wafts, heady and beautiful.

3) Washing dry in no time at all including heavy towels, I've been dreaming of washing blowing on the line for all of the cold and damp winter, 'tis lovely!

4) The house is all clean and shiny again and ready to be viewed if anyone comes. Nice feeling when it's all done and I can go and look at each room and feel satisfied with it.

5) Home made pasta sauce for supper this evening, I'm currently cooking down a huge bag of tomatoes from the freezer to be the basis of the sauce, another thing used up from the freezer which can only be good!
    Thumpers mum was right - if you can't find anything nice to say don't say anything at all!
    • Flo61
    • By Flo61 8th May 18, 5:51 PM
    • 53 Posts
    • 498 Thanks
    Flo61
    Seeing and hearing six geese fly overhead.

Gazebo providing shade in garden.

Helping daughter prepare for job interview.

Unplaiting her long hair.

Documentary about havana on tv.
    • By Blackbeard of Perranporth 8th May 18, 9:12 PM
    • 5,545 Posts
    • 32,766 Thanks
    Egg custard slice was &'s maman's fave bop. 2 Great Wimmins of taste there:-)
    Originally posted by ampersand
    You sometimes can not wait til morning for a bit of BoP!
    That would be Manchester Tart then!

Sits and waits, next!
    • Frith
    • By Frith 8th May 18, 9:46 PM
    • 4,774 Posts
    • 45,171 Thanks
    Frith
    Pleasures for today (Tuesday). A busy day!

1) Not a bad sleep.

2) Hens OK.

3) Off to old place of work at 10 to learn how to do exam invigilation. Then saw site manager chappy who had left (before I left) but is now back, to get my police clearance done again.

4) Then to floody city for Aldi, bank and to pick up bigger son from college.

5) Home to fill in application form (I've got the job but...) and police check online while bigger son cooked me poached eggs.

6) Off to train town to get bigger son a hair cut.

7) Then off again to previous work with completed form! One with smudge of baked bean juice.

8) Back to floody city for the second time to have a cup of tea with my school friend.

9) Home and had a game of football with smaller son then planted sweet peas bought today.

10) Watched Holby City in bed.

11) Sons are talking to one another so nicely that I dare not move and disturb them. I'm hiding in bed still. They haven't really spoken since the Dark Days of early 2017. Bigger son has made them both pancakes. He is now making us all a cup of tea.
    Verschlimmbesserung
    • DundeeDoll
    • By DundeeDoll 8th May 18, 10:22 PM
    • 3,353 Posts
    • 37,973 Thanks
    DundeeDoll
    more of a custard tart person meself :P
    1) sunny morning, bravely set off without a coat (i know mhags 19 years here and i still haven't learnt!)
    2) catch up with dad on walk in - love the mobile
    3) met up with dd2 after work in work (and guess what the weather had chilled but she had the car)
    4) we had warming hot drinks in town
    5) home to beans on toast, bit more work and just back from walking the dogs. we (mrpiano 3 dogs and me) came back via the graveyard - very peaceful at dusk
    For 2018 be kind, be courageous, and never ever eat pears
    • villagelife
    • By villagelife 9th May 18, 6:33 AM
    • 1,521 Posts
    • 16,894 Thanks
    villagelife
    1. Another lovely day and Enjoyed my walk to and from the bus stoo.

2. Pottering in the garden. Some summer bulbs planted.

3. Planted tomatoes and cucumber plants in the greenhouse.

4. Listening to the church bells ringing as it's practise on Tuesdays. With the bird song as well.

5. Drink in the garden with DH.
    • LaineyT
    • By LaineyT 9th May 18, 8:30 AM
    • 2,495 Posts
    • 31,269 Thanks
    LaineyT
    Blimey Frith did you meet yourself on the way back, busy lady! Lovely to hear about the harmonious chaps.

Tuesday pleasures,

De-scaled iron and we now have plenty of steam, it’s just too hot to feel like tackling Mount Ironmore.

Worked my pony on the lunge and she was so good, every time we do work there is something positive, happy days.

Totally overheated doing the above so pleasure of cool shower when I got home.

Cheeky little afternoon nap after bad nights sleep.

Pesto salmon with roasted cauliflower for tea.
    • By Blackbeard of Perranporth 9th May 18, 12:06 PM
    • 5,545 Posts
    • 32,766 Thanks
    You only got as far as 2 down!
    DD Did you egg custard tart have a Cherry on it?

V Was down the treadmill in the gym last night getting the puppy fat removed. Not far from beach ready, but over fooded last weekend! Anderby Creek is a weak away yet!

4 Down at millers yard today, in the boiler room! Ex stoker is wants to come back. His shovel is still here, not touched since he went last year! So a lesson to all who use matches, don't touch the bridges.

3 Inn BoP!!!8217;s packed lunch box today is a whole load of goodness. Egg Custard slice with dried tomato of cherry. Salad and new tatties, clubs and some Bourneville! Proper food. Last night we had gorilla snorker roulette! With enough for more roulette tomorrow! Tonight is mini Cornish pilchards in tom sauce on toast! Go on, you know you want too! And ifs you were able to look on the time of buck face today, you will see BoP is wearing his Tigger tie!

2 I am going to start a 2 am Buck of face group. Problem is that I am not awake at 2 am, but it seems BoPsie and her lot are! What is BoP missing out on?

Please be affected by what you have read in today's BoPiness column!
    Last edited by Blackbeard of Perranporth; 10-05-2018 at 12:07 PM.
    • Frith
    • By Frith 9th May 18, 11:22 PM
    • 4,774 Posts
    • 45,171 Thanks
    Frith
    Pleasures for today (Wednesday).

1) Not a bad sleep.

2) Scrambled egg and smoked salmon for breakfast (no mean feat to cook this for 3 before the bus and taxi arrive).

3) Cleaned the downstairs of the house completely - including dusting and watering the orchids (cold kettle water), steaming all the floors etc.

4) Hens well and cleared their sleeping quarters out.

5) Picked smaller son up from school and took him to buy a season ticket for his football team.

6) Met bigger son at 4.15 to give him his reference for his college interview. He is going to do his level 3 at a different college (slightly more local and he bumped into 3 former school mates while he was waiting for his interview!) He has a place now.

7) Watched First Dates.
    Verschlimmbesserung
    • house elf
    • By house elf 10th May 18, 6:26 AM
    • 843 Posts
    • 11,162 Thanks
    house elf
    Good Morning,

Tuesday

1. Training day......no students.

2. People being nice to me cos they upset me last week.

3. Apple pie and custard.

4. Watching Fantastic Beasts with DD and DH.

5. More parcels sent off.

Yesterday

1. Weather still pleasant.

2. Hosted a big meeting which went well.

3. DT lesson ......kids amazing bird feeders. Looking great, and most managing independently.

4. Good shopping in Mr A on the way home.

5. DH has bought a new TV through work. He is very happy with his new toy.

Have a lovely day
    Synchro Mums - 'Changing the world one sequin at a time' Lady GaGa
    'We have more in common than that which divides us.' Jo Cox
    • villagelife
    • By villagelife 10th May 18, 6:35 AM
    • 1,521 Posts
    • 16,894 Thanks
    villagelife
    1. Lovely walk to bus and started listening to the first podcast of a learn French series.

2. Reasonable day at work. Avoided a colleague as much as possible.

3. Enjoyed reading my book on the bus which I caught with a few seconds to spare.

4. Enjoyed a coffee in the garden.

5. Decluttered a small amount and started on a huge pile of ironing.
    • LaineyT
    • By LaineyT 10th May 18, 8:56 AM
    • 2,495 Posts
    • 31,269 Thanks
    LaineyT
    Wednesday pleasures,

Another lovely day but not quite so hot which was welcome.

It was my DM’s birthday, she would have been 80 so drove over to the grave with some flowers.

Did a quick tidy up, chatting to M&D as I worked, also sorted my DB’s stone, a male blackbird was singing his heart out in the oak tree.

Stopped off in horsey town to visit the Haberdashery there for a reel of light blue cotton, lovely shop which always makes me wish I was more crafty!

Caught up with Secret Life of a 5 Year Old.
    • By Blackbeard of Perranporth 10th May 18, 12:06 PM
    • 5,545 Posts
    • 32,766 Thanks
    We need a new Henry?
    V Not that BoP cares not, but BoPsie placed a photo of Lindum Hill by Turner ons me Buck of face Yestersday! Awful. As a beacon of hope, I prefer Dock Tower from the Pier, a walk through Pier Gardens to Steels and a decent grub full of haddock and Chips! Now she then text’d BoP again about her working day woes and …

4 Whine was played out and seeing as BoP is not a ready and ruff as yous lot thinks I am, I got BoPsie a decent one, some cheese and she was all too giggly on the fruity juice. Proper stuff as wobbleade made from hops, but this helps. Saves the BoP from having to … Flix of Net was watched as well!

3 Pie of Pork was tea’d last night. Today again in another packed lunch box we have salad, new tatties, mushroom style egg custard tart, and another couple of clubs! As BoP did poached eggs on buttered toast this morning, he forgets something. Do you know what he forgot? ToNite BoP is offs out to the social. Food will be eaten and wobbleade will be consumed. More later!

2 Minded of awe when I was a lad. Cycled along the Kingsway path and you see the man. You did not notice straight away, but then again Tony was the local man at Westminster. Blinked and missed.
    Today we need another like Mr Kissinger?

To make us free, we must cut the strings of the god puppeteers that ruin the place.

Tony Crosland was MP for Grimsby, and was Foreign Secretary. The Theatre of Fish was full that day!
    • VJsmum
    • By VJsmum 10th May 18, 12:50 PM
    • 5,371 Posts
    • 79,054 Thanks
    VJsmum
    Good morning all from a mini conference that i am presenting at this afternoon. Don't want to be here, don't want to present... I can't really see the point of having a conference where the papers are so diverse that nothing means anything to anyone else. someone just put up a slide of such maths-y gobbledegook (to me anyway) that I am fast losing the will to live. Moan over

Pleasures recently

1. Booking clerk training went well. I learned fairly fast, I think, and we were 'only' £2.40 out. The previous day, two seasoned volunteers were £60 out.
    2. Good journey back. the wifi cut out so I ended up chatting to an old friend of OH's all the way back. probably the friend's worst nightmare (confirmed elderly bachelor) but he coped
    3. DS and I went to see Florence and the Machine at the Royal Festival hall. absolutely bl00dy fantastic - worth the money and the hassle
    4. We said 's0d the expense' (well, I did) and booked a hotel. It was a little down at heel but clean cheap and decent and we got breakfast
    5. Nice walk through London yesterday from hotel to uni - spent a small time walking in Hyde park. Lovely
    6. Caught a train back from Birmingham with OH and DS - DS had travelled home from London via Totnes while he revised for his first exam tomorrow. free travel is a massive perk
    7. OH cooked tea - snorkers, yacket jackets and beans (to add to the beany nature of the last few posts )
    8. I realised i had an extra week to do my marking
    9. DD had cooked Jack monroe's carrot, cumin and Kidney bean burgers for Monday tea. We were halfway through eating them and she suddenly said "oh wait. Were they supposed to have cumin in them?" Er yes, the clue is in the title. Still they were surprisingly OK
    10. Lost another 2lbs and some more inches on my diet - only 4lb remaining.

have a good afternoon / evening all
    You're out with a friend in the capital, I'm a thousand leagues under the sea
    You're hovering worriedly over your eggs, And I'm pondering trees
    I'm wandering long, And I'm pondering trees
    For you and me
    Guy Garvey
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

142Posts Today

1,316Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Watching Theresa May... seriously would anyone in their right mind truly want her job right now!

• RT @thecheekypostie: @MartinSLewis Thanks to this, I have just skim read it. To those in Scotland - on page 548, Dounreay is mentioned by n?

• Today's twitter poll: The 585 page draft agreement of the withdrawal of the UK from the EU has been published. A? https://t.co/8YLkPyzqYM

• Follow Martin