Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • DundeeDoll
    • By DundeeDoll 18th Jul 17, 11:34 AM
    • 3,271Posts
    • 36,860Thanks
    DundeeDoll
    5 OS pleasures in your day today - part 3
    • 18th Jul 17, 11:34 AM
    5 OS pleasures in your day today - part 3 18th Jul 17 at 11:34 AM
    Ok I'm diving in as I've noticed several of us have lost posts we thought had posted, and there now seems to be a serious risk of losing the whole thread. So thanks for the heads up Karcher. (and i sympathise Frith - i too like to nip back)

I've revisited the first thread of our part 2, posted 28th October 2009. It said:
    Time for a shiny new thread The old one had got to 4500 odd posts which amounts to 22,500 OS pleasures (at least) It's so good to know that the OS life can be so rewarding.

I'll kick off the new thread.

1) Homemade bread and marmalade for breakfast.

2) A walk over the Malvern Hills to blow away the cobwebs.

3) Drying the washing outside- still, in October.

4) Watching mydaughter making a game out of sweeping the leaves with her friends.

5) The prospect of collecting a big order of meat from the butcher this morning and having my freezer full for less.
    Originally posted by thriftlady
    Part 2 went on considerably longer so many many more pleasures. And of course life stories shared, support given, tears of sorrow and joy shed. Part 2 I shall miss you, but here's to part 3.
    Last edited by DundeeDoll; 18-07-2017 at 11:40 AM.
Page 136
    • LaineyT
    • By LaineyT 16th Apr 18, 9:04 AM
    • 2,401 Posts
    • 29,988 Thanks
    LaineyT
    Sunday pleasures,

Up early and took little dog for walk around the field, lovely morning.

Bacon paninis and the Archers omnibus, panini not exactly BSD but thoroughly enjoyed all the same.

A cull of all winter clothes not worn over the last few months, two bags ready for the hospice shop and wardrobe a lot clearer, the less clothes I have the happier I seem to be and easier it is to put outfits together, win win.

Visit from eldest hollow legged one, ate plenty and left with goodies.

Last episode of Christie, no spoiler but why oh why did they change who the killer was
    • Blackbeard of Perranporth
    • By Blackbeard of Perranporth 16th Apr 18, 12:20 PM
    • 5,383 Posts
    • 32,015 Thanks
    Blackbeard of Perranporth
    Silent Radio ...
    V Had usual snorker and best back on Saturday, served with mushrooms, toms, grilled toms, buttered toast and marmite topped with a poached egg! Tea was drunk.

4 Booked our tickets for Radio City in September! Ringo Starrís band and Colin Hay! Trip the light fantastic.

3 Ready meal yesterday of fish pie, done last weak, with peas, then more of the spotted Richard and instant lumpy custard. Just one serving of the dessert left!

PM2DD Was up and down like a yo-yo Saturday. How raffles can stand the chant I do not know! We are skinning our teeth in readiness! More nerves to blow!

They were on the streets the other day! Theyíre never gave tuppence halfpenny when I stayed in the same hotel as ĎChemical Alií in Jeddah July 1990?

Just read in the paper that some solar farm in Spain was generating electricity at night! Turns out that they could make 44p per kWh, and the diesel generator only cost 7p per kWh! Not as green as cabbage looking!

Oh, and it does not matter where you look, you can find the truth. Be grateful you can look!
    Cardiac Arrest - Electrical - Patient unconscious! Heart Attack - Plumbing - Patient conscious!
    Coughing does not stop a Cardiac Arrest! Statins have not cured any electrical faults!
    • DundeeDoll
    • By DundeeDoll 16th Apr 18, 5:42 PM
    • 3,271 Posts
    • 36,860 Thanks
    DundeeDoll
    the thing i hate about working at the weekend is monday i feel cheated :-(
    1) the joy of having finished the poster. mustn't forget to email it and get it printed!
    2) meetings solid from 10 - 4 minus 15 minute bus ride at 1:41pm - discovered pasta bolognese cold on the bus isn't too bad compared with not eating till 4
    3) went with much needed coffee after last meeting and had really good discussion about our new prof doc
    4) found eduzone empty (room in library for staff dev) so am working here - library heaving due to student exams
    5) band practice tonight hence quick update now.
    Tomorrow looks every bit as mad as today. Roll on Friday!
    For 2018 be kind, be courageous, and never ever eat pears
    • mhagster
    • By mhagster 16th Apr 18, 8:53 PM
    • 3,053 Posts
    • 35,721 Thanks
    mhagster
    Good evening. Catching up on my soaps an hour behind as son and pal arrived and dumped all their climbing stuff!

For today :

Made a lawnmower! From a little box of pieces and silly instructions! Have cut front lawn and most of back apart from the bits I couldn't reach...now who did we give our huge extending cable to 8 years ago?

Doggy walks.

Nice chat with neighbour / friend. Haggis was delighted to see her.

Made a cottage pie.

Walked to T carpark to use recycling facilities. Our council, too DD are changing the kerbside collecting. Our plastic is being collected with aluminium in it and what was aluminium and glass is just glass! So I had 2 bags filled with empty cans and tins as I'd missed the memo! Anyway , one bag away and will take the last tomorrow.

'Don't suppose you'll be in Oz in July and can come to my birthday party ' message from Tassie friend. Sadly no. But lovely to be asked! I will hopefully be overseeing finishing touches to an extension!

Poor DD2. Today has not been a good day. Very pale. Very sore . Very fed up.

Boys back ( young men really but boys to me) and safe and tired and hungry and now clean and I have to stay out the way of my bedroom as that's where the shower is...the downside to having visitors. It's been nice over the weekend not having to worry about slobbing around.

Skint take care of you x hope your dad continues to recover.
    • Frith
    • By Frith 16th Apr 18, 10:06 PM
    • 4,678 Posts
    • 44,309 Thanks
    Frith
    Pleasures for today (Monday).

1) Sons back at school/college and they had reasonable days.

2) Set to work listing things on FB and Ebay. Emptied airing cupboard (which is over the stairs so vast) and listed loads of stuff.

3) Made various admin phone calls.

4) Fed the hens - Barbara still going.

5) Collected bigger son at 12.30 and popped to Aldi where the Super 6 were very useful. Bought new bulb for smaller son's lava lamp from Homebase.

6) Collected smaller son from school and bought a new hoover with money off from the voucher received when bigger son upgraded his phone.

7) Watched the Island with bigger son.

8) Going to bed now so might watch DIY SOS and will definitely listen to the radio for a while.
    Verschlimmbesserung
    • Skint yet Again
    • By Skint yet Again 17th Apr 18, 4:21 AM
    • 3,348 Posts
    • 19,005 Thanks
    Skint yet Again
    Morning all, struggling to sleep so quick post on my phone
    1. Dad is continuing to recover
    2. Reading all your posts and messages of support, thank you x
    3. Lovely sunny day with good breeze got sheets out on line by 8.30am
    4. Quick trip to local shops not much traffic and no queues
    5. Sheets dry by 10.30am brought in before heading to hospital, no rain on way home also a bonus.
    • house elf
    • By house elf 17th Apr 18, 6:10 AM
    • 816 Posts
    • 10,810 Thanks
    house elf
    Good Morning All,

SYAGood news that DF is recovering.

Yesterday

1. DS2 had a training day, so Didnít need to drop him off at school. I got in early

2. Sunshine made my morning duty more bearable.

3. Lovely students and colleagues I have not seen for 2 weeks.

4. Crazy lesson with Y11 where we invented new chocolate bars. Melted Chocolate everywhere

5. Late for hair appointment,(diversion ), but she was understanding, and did a great job styling my difficult hair. Made an appointment to go back.

6. Although I very nearly set the kitchen on fire grilling chops, (doggy had a bonus tea). We had a nice meal and lit the fire and sat in front of the telly for a while before bed.

Have a lovely day
    Synchro Mums - 'Changing the world one sequin at a time' Lady GaGa
    'We have more in common than that which divides us.' Jo Cox
    • villagelife
    • By villagelife 17th Apr 18, 6:34 AM
    • 1,490 Posts
    • 16,532 Thanks
    villagelife
    1. A couple of compliments at work from patients. It is always good and makes day so much better.

2. Cake at work.

3. Watered the plants in the greenhouse and enjoyed looking round the garden and seeing what we have achieved.

4. Rhubarb crumble for tea with freshly picked rhubarb. Also had a chicken and leek dish and have now almost finished the leeks in the garden.

5. Watched Only Connect and some of university challenge and I managed to answer a couple of questions in the final.
    • VJsmum
    • By VJsmum 17th Apr 18, 7:18 AM
    • 5,334 Posts
    • 78,540 Thanks
    VJsmum
    Morning - up early for more emailing questionnaire links. I think this is my life now...

Pleasures for yesterday

1. Responses up to 53 - needs to be in the hundreds but I am only up to K on the first sweep. Plenty more to go out yet and it will be what it will be. Good feedback
    2. Trip to Cardiff was good, trains ran to time and not crowded. Got lots done. Good walk to and from station
    3. Good interviews - four in one day (meant to be five but one couldn't make it). Stupid phone didn't record the last one but luckily I had back up notes. (i think it was probably operator error, but lets blame the equipment ). I am now over target on interview case study data
    4. begg for tea. It's usually meat free monday but DS opened the bacon at the weekend so it needs using.
    5. Soo tired I was in bed at 9.30 and DD picked OH up from the station for me. She is getting more confident and competent at driving she passed her test 3 years ago but has driven little since so is doing lots of short local journeys to get her practice up.

Have a good day all - glad to hear DF is getting better, Skint
    You're out with a friend in the capital, I'm a thousand leagues under the sea
    You're hovering worriedly over your eggs, And I'm pondering trees
    I'm wandering long, And I'm pondering trees
    For you and me
    Guy Garvey
    • LaineyT
    • By LaineyT 17th Apr 18, 9:06 AM
    • 2,401 Posts
    • 29,988 Thanks
    LaineyT
    Good news on your DF SYA
    I give a little cheer every morning when Barbara is still here Frith

Monday pleasures,

Sunny and breezy day so washing dried outside.

Thought that I had killed a climbing plant that DM brought us a few years ago but green shoots are appearing, also the Forsythia is coming into flower.

Leftover gammon with salad for lunch.

Arrangements made to spend Thursday with pal, going into Cambridge for lunch etc. She has life shortening health problems but is always such a positive person to be with.

Uni Challenge and then we started on S2 of Broadchurch.
    • Broomstick
    • By Broomstick 17th Apr 18, 10:08 AM
    • 1,461 Posts
    • 16,325 Thanks
    Broomstick
    Morning all

Skint, fingers crossed for your dad's continued recovery.

I'm not sure where the last couple of days went! Anyway, five pleasures for them:

1. Got masses of baby strawberry plants re-potted into large pots and a dozen new French strawberry plants put into the strawberry bed.

2. Constructed a waterpipe/fleece tunnel for my broad beans to stop the birds getting at them. I'd picked up a whole reel of piping on Freegle last year but hadn't got round to using it. There's plenty left to make more tunnels.

3. Discovered online a beautiful quote, talking about one of our relatives who was killed in WW1. It was taken from an eye-witness book written in 1918. Am now in search of a copy of the book so that I can read it in its entirety.

4. Another honey and ginger yogurt for pud - am developing a taste for these!

5. Spent an evening with my parents including a really important and positive chat with my dad.

Have a good Tuesday!

B x
    • Blackbeard of Perranporth
    • By Blackbeard of Perranporth 17th Apr 18, 12:07 PM
    • 5,383 Posts
    • 32,015 Thanks
    Blackbeard of Perranporth
    Switched off the thingy
    Not been pumped out for a while but skint needs one
    VL Rhubarb Crumble, Proper food! If you want the recipe for instant lumpy custard you only have to shout!
    DD Now is that a song, Tell me why I donít like Mondayís!

V As it was the birthday of BoPsie yesterday, and fortunately we donít have candles anymore, we had special reversion food tea! Two snorkers, proper oven chips parsleyed and roasted,(not the frozen battered versions), haricot has beans in tom sauce and two poached eggs. Strawberries and sorbet were also wolfed down! Good proper foods again! Chocolates are waiting to be consumed!

4 BoP is currently into the flixnet and watching Jerry Seinfeld in Comedians in cars getting coffee! Very good watch indeed. Well worth not paying the regressive TV Tax for. As a reminder that this megalithic organisation is the biggest prosecutor of females in the UK!

3 Seems my gas fire is currently working by magic as the gas bored cannot take their money and keep writing as though it is my fault! They have been corrected.

2 Night BoP has to work off the puppy fat from last night feast in the gym. Beach readied but not quite! At the mill, a shovel has been put back on the wall, and someone has extracted themselves from our presence. Their parking space has already been taken and they will not be back. Unfortunately, they forgot rule 24! A dropped jar of coffee only serves as a reminder!

No one ever left their bedroom tidy when father was handing out pocket money when you missed out!
    Cardiac Arrest - Electrical - Patient unconscious! Heart Attack - Plumbing - Patient conscious!
    Coughing does not stop a Cardiac Arrest! Statins have not cured any electrical faults!
    • Frith
    • By Frith 17th Apr 18, 7:55 PM
    • 4,678 Posts
    • 44,309 Thanks
    Frith
    Thank you, Lainey. I pull up to the allotment in the car and silently cheer every morning when 3 hens race to the fence!

Pleasures for today (Tuesday).

1) Not a bad sleep.

2) Washed all the curtains (that was silly as I now have about 300 square metres of curtain draped over everything as it kept spitting with rain outside). Even the Laura Ashley (bought in a sale) curtains from my room went through the washing machine which was a risk as they're dry clean only. Also cleaned and blackleaded the woodburning stove and that can have a rest now until the Autumn.

3) Nice salad for lunch with hummus and sun dried tomatoes (Aldi's finest).

4) Hens OK! Barbara possibly even slightly better. Her comb is a good indication of how well she is and it is back, after disappearing to almost nothing.

5) Got some cheap plants from Homebase - 3 aubretia, new coriander and a bay tree for my sister. I've had my bay tree for nearly 20 years.

6) Met my school friend for a cup of tea.

7) Popped to Sainsburys and found some RTC duck pancakes which we shall have later on.

8) About to watch Holby City.
    Verschlimmbesserung
    • Mrs Salad Dodger
    • By Mrs Salad Dodger 17th Apr 18, 9:29 PM
    • 1,039 Posts
    • 11,976 Thanks
    Mrs Salad Dodger
    Bonjour tout le monde,

Just lost my first attempt

1. Good flight - I arrived on time & so did my luggage

2. Pouring with rain but DSis also on time

3. We had a lazy weekend storing up energy for the MAMMOTH task of decluttering

4. DH arrived Sunday late afternoon - yippee

5. DSis cooked roast pork with all the trimmings - yummy

6. Nephew arrived midnight so all hands on deck tomorrow.

7. Two days of sunshine, birdsong & rampant wisteria

8. Two days of hard work on the decluttering front. 3 Tip runs, 2 full recycling wheelie bins, a huge pile of stuff to sell, 4 large boxes to nephew for his flat . DSis has astonished me with how decisive she is with the sorting - barely anything kept

9. I cooked spaghetti bolognese for tonightís dinner- one of my better ones

10. Reading your posts

MrsSD
    • DundeeDoll
    • By DundeeDoll 17th Apr 18, 11:55 PM
    • 3,271 Posts
    • 36,860 Thanks
    DundeeDoll
    Bop i is a huge boomtownrats fan. Tell me why
    1) raining. Dd2 bless her gave me a lift in
    2) colleague brought in buns for moderation. Very sweet in both ways :P
    3) coffee with another colleague I haven;t seen for a while. Lots to catch up on
    4) survived my first quinquennial review as a vestry member. Was a little surprised when, at first question, provost said I was the person to answer. But you know Dundee Doll, never short on words lol. Actually I found it very interesting and useful. Looking forward to their report
    5) some of us went to the pub after for a blether. A lovely vestry to work on - will be sad when my term is up on November!
    For 2018 be kind, be courageous, and never ever eat pears
    • villagelife
    • By villagelife 18th Apr 18, 6:46 AM
    • 1,490 Posts
    • 16,532 Thanks
    villagelife
    1. The sun out here.

2. A load of ironing dried on the line and none of it needed ironing.

3. DS2 saw a neighbour's dog in the road when he came back from work so we went out and took her home.. The dog though elderly has a habit of escaping!

4. It was lovely chatting to The neighbours they are both well at the moment after some health scares.

5. Relaxing evening. We sat in the garden and helicopters seemed to be circling but large army ones rather than the police ones.
    • Broomstick
    • By Broomstick 18th Apr 18, 8:17 AM
    • 1,461 Posts
    • 16,325 Thanks
    Broomstick
    Morning all

Five pleasures for Tuesday:

1. Got another chunk of tricky weeding done at the allotment so the potatoes can now go in.

2. Was offered another half-plot in addition to my existing one. It's mostly laid out as established fruit trees and bushes . Intend to keep it that way so it's low maintenance, but there is room to put in an asparagus bed and I have crowns ready to go in. They arrived a few days ago and I didn't want to plant them on my existing plot until I heard about the new one. Feel really fortunate.

3. Had what I'd planned for my lunch for breakfast, and what I'd planned for my supper for lunch, so when supper arrived and I was in a rush I had a bowl of cereal. It worked very well. I might do that deliberately again!

4. Volunteer on a committee that gives out grants to local organisations and we made some sizeable ones at our meeting last night that will make a huge and lasting difference to a lot of people.

5. Took a hottie to bed again because I was really chilly and slept so well.

Have a happy Wednesday,
    B x
    • LaineyT
    • By LaineyT 18th Apr 18, 8:34 AM
    • 2,401 Posts
    • 29,988 Thanks
    LaineyT
    Tuesday pleasures,

Felt a tad bleurgh with sinus and head pain so first pleasure must be painkillers and my head swipey thing.

A mistle thrush in the garden, itís one bird that we donít often see so a welcome addition.

Need some summer riding gloves but reluctant to pay usual prices, pleased to spot a pair in the reduced bin, half price just because the packaging was damaged

The love-lorn solitary pheasant has discovered the feeders in the apple tree and spent much of the afternoon in the garden clearing up leftovers, much to the excitement of spaniel dog.

Baked chicken with white bean mash.
    • ampersand
    • By ampersand 18th Apr 18, 9:02 AM
    • 8,452 Posts
    • 32,918 Thanks
    ampersand
    New mse page format does not work for &, nor the changed font.
    Power outages more frequent in fenny lands of late.
    Online access is increasingly a non-starter. Yes, & has logged this over last several years. but only because the plummet continues, with another marked lurch down over last month.
    Previous driving out with mob. for reception doesn't work at all now and & mse do not answer &, as to why no mob. log-in is possible any more.
    So, that's that.
    Hanging keystrikes, [just like that, waited to 'seconds' count of 17 before 'K' showed], rolling white page, 'Mozilla Firefox not responding' msgs and screen-freeze for hours, also won't turn off, so have to use force Power Off....all frustrating and time-wasting.
    Am only managing this by using Go Advanced.
    & does not have 10 minutes to wait, letter by letter, to see if anything will appear.
    & does not have half-hours to statically sit, watching little blue circle spin around, to see if anything is going to connect, link, show.
    #
    Skint - good steady and continuing recovery news of your Dad. DS and puppy are keeping home 'home' for you,too.
    pk - your 4-foots are helping you just as they always have. Hugs as you continue through your own DF aftermath.
    mhags - tech-non-loggy! - irksome for & - but you can keep in touch with dd. Extension is a good project and perhaps you will share Tas friend's b'day in person next year. There is time for many things.
    vjm - good for daughter with driving and you with research. mse id change>Drvjm will be necessary:-)
    #
    1. Following Barbara's health bulletins. Frith, you have given all of them a good life they didn't know beforehand and, as we know, to every thing there is a season.... Happy eggs until that day.

2. &'s 3-pronged clearance continues. Another £150+ last night. Very pleasant surprise. Nothing for &/Spitalfields, so didn't bid.

3. Lily of the Valley pots all have sudden bud spears poking through fallen oak leaves.

4. First mow done Monday, with intermittent digging/weeding done over weekend. Every time in and out meant another few forkfuls turned, knocked down. A new low, spready little weed has appeared - 5p size leaves, tenacious little hairy roots, miniscule pink flowers.
    Wretched japanese anemomes are shooting up all over again, despite big dig-outs last year. Pernicious.

5. Enzed relly[Hospice attachment/surgeon]is jumping off Auckland Harbour bridge - 'with bungee attached', added:-) Managed to send something via Give-a-Little. Doing same for each of Harry and Meghan's 7 charities, too. So much for rabid old leftie &:-), nonetheless a monarchist.
    #
    Doing this has taken over 100 minutes. Need to prep. for Spits, with crossed fingers as windscreen crack will need to be addressed sometime soon. Hope drive down won't be scary solid fog as last week 3.30 a.m., with much lunatic driving - not &.

Warmth and sunlight and blue skies, not too many clouds, lit. and fig., to all here.
    Really enjoy reading when possible.
    #
    Well, everything just shut down again, all by itself and various re-start/must close down/end now texts appeared. Went away.
    Back only to see if anything had happened.
    This date, 18 April, has long been &'s significant date, 4 difficult ways over - and & usually absents self.
    #
    Terrific extra 1/2 allotment gain, Broomstick:-) - and asparagus! AND hwb, just emptied mine over lily of valley pots.
    Last edited by ampersand; 18-04-2018 at 9:53 AM.
    CAP[UK]for FREE EXPERT DEBT&BUDGET HELP:01274 760720, freephone0800 328 0006
    'People don't want much. They want: "Someone to love, somewhere to live, somewhere to work and something to hope for."
    Norman Kirk, NZLP- Prime Minister, 1972
    ***JE SUIS CHARLIE***
    'It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere' FranÁois-Marie AROUET

• MandM90
    • By MandM90 18th Apr 18, 10:40 AM
    • 1,455 Posts
    • 7,632 Thanks
    MandM90
    1. Sun, glorious sun!

The French beans are really starting to reeeeach for the sky in our sitting room window. Chard, pak choi, tomatoes, eremurus and alliums on their way too. Grape hyacinths, narcissi and a few other things in bloom. Hello, garden! At the weekend DH laid some stepping stones, painted a 20ft long fence and moved about a tonne of earth. I love that man!

2. Feeling better. Anxiety came to a head over the weekend and ended up taking Monday and Tuesday off. I am going on medication to see if that gives me to breathing room to try and look after myself better (more exercise, more kind thoughts, more meditation and exercise). Not the ideal solution but feel so much better for having done something and can face the world.

3. Accepted for Frist Direct account. £125 - kerching! Will get switching to other accounts later to generate more £££. All proceeds will go straight towards mortgage overpayment.

4. Last night: veggie chilli and rice eaten by all (having again but with quinoa for lunch), then snuggled and watched Pirates of the Carribbean with DD and DH and a smelly candle on. A girl I went to school with is in it and it scares me how young she looks. How time flies.

5. Will be taking my book to the river (Thames) for lunch today. There is a quiet bench which is usually empty. Shall have lunch early, at my desk, then escape for a glorious 45m or so of peace.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Marriages & Family,
    Old Style, Mortgage Free Wannabe, Green & Ethical
    boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge threads there. Any views are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com. Board guides are not moderators. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

284Posts Today

4,456Users online

Martin's Twitter